Changing Table columns and Rulers

This is a very beginner question on adding Tables to a Word doc.

Using Word 2008.

I'm trying to center a table and change its indents from the margins.

I find that when the cursor changes to the double-arrow one (preparing
to drag column borders) then the horizontal Ruler changes to a different
zero point. With the change in the Ruler, it is very difficult to make
sure the table is centered, the widths of the two columns are the same
and the outside "border indent is how I want it.

I assume I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks for any tips.

--
Norm
0

I'm not sure I'm 100% clear on what you're asking, but it may help if you
use the Table> Table Properties alignment preset for Centered. The Ruler can
be a bit deceptive because it's segmented based on the number of columns.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 1/10/10 4:08 PM, in article
xuOdnaTCB_BU3NfWnZ2dnUVZ_tednZ2d@speakeasy.net, "Norm"
<NOSPAM@gmail.invalid> wrote:

> This is a very beginner question on adding Tables to a Word doc.
>
> Using Word 2008.
>
> I'm trying to center a table and change its indents from the margins.
>
> I find that when the cursor changes to the double-arrow one (preparing
> to drag column borders) then the horizontal Ruler changes to a different
> zero point. With the change in the Ruler, it is very difficult to make
> sure the table is centered, the widths of the two columns are the same
> and the outside "border indent is how I want it.
>
> I assume I'm doing something wrong.
>
> Thanks for any tips.

0
CyberTaz
1/10/2010 10:20:11 PM
In article <C76FBCCB.55A0D%onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net>,
 CyberTaz <onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net> wrote:

> I'm not sure I'm 100% clear on what you're asking, but it may help if you
> use the Table> Table Properties alignment preset for Centered. The Ruler can
> be a bit deceptive because it's segmented based on the number of columns.

Sorry. :-(

I'll try again.

After creating the Table, I try to change the columns.

But each time I hover over the columns and the cursor changes so does
the type of horizontal ruler. So it does not stay static so I can work
with original ruler while adjusting column widths etc.

Hope that is better.

Thanks for the help.

--
Norm
0

On 1/10/10 5:59 PM, in article
cYGdnWGYe4lyxtfWnZ2dnUVZ_tdi4p2d@speakeasy.net, "Norm"
<NOSPAM@gmail.invalid> wrote:

> In article <C76FBCCB.55A0D%onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net>,
>  CyberTaz <onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure I'm 100% clear on what you're asking, but it may help if you
>> use the Table> Table Properties alignment preset for Centered. The Ruler can
>> be a bit deceptive because it's segmented based on the number of columns.
>>

> Sorry. :-(
>
> I'll try again.
>
> After creating the Table, I try to change the columns.
>
> But each time I hover over the columns and the cursor changes so does
> the type of horizontal ruler. So it does not stay static so I can work
> with original ruler while adjusting column widths etc.
>
> Hope that is better.
>
> Thanks for the help.

I'm sure the failure to understand is on my end, primarily wht you mean by
"outside border indent is how I want it."

At any rate there is no way to prevent the ruler from changing when dealing
with a table. Any time you are active in or select a table both the vertical
& horizontal ruler will automatically change to reflect the respective row
heights & column widths. (They also display exact measurement values if you
hold the Option key while dragging them or the cell borders.) However, if
you use the feature I mentioned, the configuration of the ruler should make
no difference � as your adjustments modify the width of the table it will
dynamically reposition to remain centered between the margins... And far
more precisely than trying to adjust by dragging.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

0
CyberTaz
1/11/2010 11:03:37 AM
In article <C7706FB9.55A65%onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net>,
 CyberTaz <onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net> wrote:

> I'm sure the failure to understand is on my end, primarily wht you mean by
> "outside border indent is how I want it."

I was trying to say: where I want the table field or outside border to
align compared to the document margin. Do I want them equal from left
and right margin or different and how close. HTH. Sorry.

> At any rate there is no way to prevent the ruler from changing when dealing
> with a table.

Got it. Don't like the news but understand

>Any time you are active in or select a table both the vertical
> & horizontal ruler will automatically change to reflect the respective row
> heights & column widths. (They also display exact measurement values if you
> hold the Option key while dragging them or the cell borders.)

I was hoping I could switch back to what I'd call "normal" ruler view
and make those adjustments. Appreciate this info.

> However, if
> you use the feature I mentioned, the configuration of the ruler should make
> no difference � as your adjustments modify the width of the table it will
> dynamically reposition to remain centered between the margins... And far
> more precisely than trying to adjust by dragging.

Will do. Sounds like it makes more sense.

BTW, do you experts tend to use one View more than another when
creating/editing a doc?

I think MS change the names in Word 2008 from Word v.X. I think there
was a "Normal" which I would use that was like "Print Layout" but
without the page breaks. I've started to use "Draft" a little and find
it helpful.

Thanks,

Norm H

--
Norm
0

On 1/11/10 9:41 AM, in article
CtmdnT4awNAypdbWnZ2dnUVZ_hGdnZ2d@speakeasy.net, "Norm"
<NOSPAM@gmail.invalid> wrote:

> In article <C7706FB9.55A65%onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net>,
>  CyberTaz <onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm sure the failure to understand is on my end, primarily wht you mean by
>> "outside border indent is how I want it."
>
> I was trying to say: where I want the table field or outside border to
> align compared to the document margin. Do I want them equal from left
> and right margin or different and how close. HTH. Sorry.

If you want the table moved away from the left margin but not centered it's
easiest to use the same Table Properties dialog but click the icon for
Around in the Text Wrapping section. Then click the Positioning button & use
the settings there.

>> At any rate there is no way to prevent the ruler from changing when dealing
>> with a table.
>
> Got it. Don't like the news but understand
>
>> Any time you are active in or select a table both the vertical
>> & horizontal ruler will automatically change to reflect the respective row
>> heights & column widths. (They also display exact measurement values if you
>> hold the Option key while dragging them or the cell borders.)
>
> I was hoping I could switch back to what I'd call "normal" ruler view
> and make those adjustments. Appreciate this info.
>
>> However, if
>> you use the feature I mentioned, the configuration of the ruler should make
>> no difference � as your adjustments modify the width of the table it will
>> dynamically reposition to remain centered between the margins... And far
>> more precisely than trying to adjust by dragging.
>
> Will do. Sounds like it makes more sense.
>
> BTW, do you experts tend to use one View more than another when
> creating/editing a doc?
>
> I think MS change the names in Word 2008 from Word v.X. I think there
> was a "Normal" which I would use that was like "Print Layout" but
> without the page breaks. I've started to use "Draft" a little and find
> it helpful.

The Normal View in earlier versions is now referred to as Draft View, &
*Print* Layout View was formerly *Page* Layout View (but that varies from
one version of Word to another). Outline View & Notebook Layout View remain
the same, but Web Layout View (available from the View Menu) used to be
called Online Layout View. Publishing Layout View is new in Word 2008.

As for who uses which, I doubt there is a pat answer. Generally, longer more
complex docs are more efficiently handled in Draft/Normal view & Outline
View... Especially if there is any amount of floating object content. Even
those who predominantly use those views for composing/editing will still
have to rely on Print/Page Layout View for layout purposes because those
objects & their impact on flow aren't displayed as well in the other views.
As for Pub Layout & Web Layout � I doubt you will find many professionals
who use either very much. Word is totally unacceptable for web design & Pub
Layout is only adequate for school work & community organizations.

> Thanks,
>
> Norm H

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

0
CyberTaz
1/11/2010 5:37:23 PM
In article <C770CC03.55AAA%onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net>,
 CyberTaz <onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net> wrote:

> If you want the table moved away from the left margin but not centered it's
> easiest to use the same Table Properties dialog but click the icon for
> Around in the Text Wrapping section. Then click the Positioning button & use
> the settings there.

Got it. Thanks. Will do.

<snip>

> The Normal View in earlier versions is now referred to as Draft View, &
> *Print* Layout View was formerly *Page* Layout View (but that varies from
> one version of Word to another). Outline View & Notebook Layout View remain
> the same, but Web Layout View (available from the View Menu) used to be
> called Online Layout View. Publishing Layout View is new in Word 2008.

Appreciate that info and what followed on who uses which is helpful.
Appreciate.

--
Norm
0

Variable Width 100% Stacked Column Chart
Hi, I need to make a variable width 100% stacked column chart (similar t the Column chart with varying width bars from andypope.info but 100 stacked) The x-axis would contain various market segments and the width would b proportional to their size, the y-axis divides each segment up by a attribute. Any ideas? Thank ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Earl - Stephen Bullen has a Variable Width Column Chart example on his web site (http://bmsltd.co.uk), lo...

associated view columns limited to one entity
CRM4 has a great feature where you can add columns from related entities to a view. Not sure why the associated view was left behind (it is still limited to fields only from the entity the view is for), but it is a disappointment that it does not have this as it is one of the most widely used views. Not sure if there is a significant techincal challange behind this limitation, hopefully this can be addressed in one of the patches or with a workaround. If someone is aware of a way to get to this view configuration it would be much appreciated to hear about it. Thanks, Sergei -------...

Pivot table compound interest
Hello I am trying to make a pivot table with a custom "Grand total" calculation. For example I need to calculated compound interest in the grand total field. Is this possible? Suppose 10% return every month (Jan-Dec)compounded monthly. jan feb mar ... TOTAL 2001 10% 10% 10%... 313.8% 2002 10% 10% 10%... 313.8% 2003 10% 10% 10%... 313.8& ------------------------------- TOTAL = exp(sum(log(1+n)) ANY HELP IS APPRECAITED!!!! ...

How do I change an existing range in a pivot table?
I have new data to a worksheet and I would like the pivot table to include this data, but I guess when I first created the pivot table the range was set and now the data is outside this range. How do I change this range? Right click on the Pivot Table and choose "Wizard". Click "Back" until you can choose the range again. When you have reselected it, you can just press "Finish" -- Regards Juan Pablo Gonz�lez "steve" <steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7D32D144-0701-40E4-B7B2-92EB9936EC14@microsoft.com... > I have new...

Pivot Table Wizard causes crash
Hello, I'm using Excel 2003(11.8316.8221) SP3 When I use the Pivot Table Wizard and press the "back" button to redefine the range of data. Excel crashes. I've tried with no other files open. I can use the wizard to create now pivot tables, but not redefine this existing PT. The file is about 1 meg. Thanks in advance. Mike Just after posting this I found a reference to the problem being the result of having "frozen windows" on the sheet with the PT. I "unfroze" the windows and everything works just fine. Mike "mike in...

Changing Report Fields
What happens to the reports if we change screen fields. Does anyoneknow what happens in the event of: - adding a field – presumably doesn’t appear on any report - changing a field – label or properties - removing a field? Any help please? Hi, - Adding a field would change nothing to a report. You will have to alter the report itself to make it visible there. - Labels are set inside the report itself, so this won't change if you change them on the form. - Removing the field will not change the report, but it will be empty becaus the user cannot enter data for that field (unless som...

Changing of Cell protections after saving Excel File (2002)
This problem occurs when I protect a document using a macro 4.0 function: =PROTECT.DOCUMENT(TRUE,,,TRUE,TRUE). When I use the function within a macro4.0 macro, on an original file, everything works fine. The sheet has unlocked cells, and when the sheet is protected, it allows me to access those cells. But if I save the file, or save.as another name, then the fun begins. The enable selection of the sheet( view codes) has gone from 0-xlNoRestrictions to -4142- xlNoSelection. This locks me out of doing anything in the sheet. When I unprotect and then re-protect the sheet using the T...

how do I change cell references automatically in formulas
In Excel 2000, I have data in 80 rows and 10 columns. Each week I add a new row. I have a separate chart for each column with the data range from the first row to the last.. Each week I have to change the data range to reflect the new last row for each chart. Is there someway I can do this automatically? http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "jnw3" <jnw3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8A3551F9-FBC6-4841-95B4-618AB1893190@micros...

Change the anchor property of a control.
Hello. How can I capture the event, when changing the anchor property of the control ? I.e : myPanel.anchor = AnchorStyles.Left & AnchorStyles.Bottom .... How can I know, when the Anchor property is changed (which event?) ? Thanks :) Am 12.06.2010 23:46, schrieb Mr. X.: > Hello. > How can I capture the event, when changing the anchor property of the > control ? > > I.e : > myPanel.anchor = AnchorStyles.Left & AnchorStyles.Bottom > .... > How can I know, when the Anchor property is changed (which event?) ? Like I said, about once o...

Cannot remember my e-mail logon password, how do I change it?
I use outlook 2007 and have a need to access my e-mail logon password. I've got the remember password box checked but can not remember the password myself. Is there anyway to retrieve this or change or recreate it? You wuld have to contact your ISP to reset or provide you with the password "Rviviani" <Rviviani@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5DAFCAB-FC29-4FF4-A5E2-AE4DDE6DC2A0@microsoft.com... >I use outlook 2007 and have a need to access my e-mail logon password. >I've > got the remember password box checked but can not remem...

Cannot change cost basis calculation method
The online help for Money 2003 says that I should be able to change the method used to calculate the cost basis of a mutual fund. However, when I go to the details page for a mutual fund, no such option exists. Is this a bug in the documentation, or the program? In microsoft.public.money, Paul Galbraith wrote: >The online help for Money 2003 says that I should be able to change the >method used to calculate the cost basis of a mutual fund. However, when I >go to the details page for a mutual fund, no such option exists. Is this a >bug in the documentation, or the program? ...

How to change owner of a meeting
We have had a change of personnel and the old owner of a meeting is no longer in that role (but still available). Can he assign ownership (change control) of the meeting to the new manager? How? Tx, Dave I don't think you can change the meeting organizer without code, and, according to a knowledge base article I just read, that is not recommended. I believe the new organizer needs to send out a new instance of the meeting requests. -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com? -Please post your Outlook v...

Font size change
Is there a way to increase the size of the font. I have a large, hi-res screen and MS-Money insists on using something the size of a 6-7 point font. Thanks, In microsoft.public.money, Linda wrote: >Is there a way to increase the size of the font. I have a large, hi-res >screen and MS-Money insists on using something the size of a 6-7 point font. Try changing the font setting in IE to a larger size. View->TextSize. If you want to see the size of the font in money. You must change the computer's font size. within money there is no option to do so. you would have to go to...

pivot table changes when data is refreshed.
Hi, I have a pivot table with grouping based on a field called "period which is of date type. I have grouped it into months and quarters However when i refresh the pivot table whenever the data (which is in seperate sheet) is changed, the groupings are going out. I want t preserve the groupings as they are like a template. How do i stop th changing the format and layout of the pivot table whenever i refres the data? any ideas? please help. regards Kiran:mad ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages d...

secondary y-axis for graph "column"
Hi! Chart type XY (scatter) > allows a secondary Y-axis column > does not allow this, or does it? I would like so, how to solve this problem? Thanks in advance! tom Hi, sorry, I understand why (risk of visual overlap) and and was able to create a secondary Y-axis but how to solve this? thanks! tom "tom ossieur" wrote: > Hi! > > Chart type > XY (scatter) > allows a secondary Y-axis > column > does not allow this, or does it? I would like so, how to > solve this problem? > > Thanks in advance! > > tom See htt...

How do I make a particular column required in Excel? #2
Our NPO is creating a reimbursement chart in Excel. We're trying to make it so that if employees do not fill in one particular column entitled "Projects," they will get an error or will be unable to have a final sum filled in. Is there any way I can make this particular column required so that if it is not filled in, the chart will not complete properly? Thank you in advance for any advice or help--I'm a bit of a novice to this! ...

Change default view of Activies to Service Activities.
When clicking on any "Activities" tab, CRM shows list of activities of the object, and it's the view: "Open Activity Associated View". Can we customize so that the view "Open Service Activity Associated" will be shown instead? Only show the Service Activities. Hi, Here is something for your interest. Thanks to Michael. http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/topic.aspx?id=JS11 -- PLEASE do click on Yes or No button if this post is helpful or not for our feedback. uMar Khan :: CRM Freelance Consultant Email :: imumar at gmail dot com Blog :: http://umarkhan.word...

How do I create a running subtraction column?
In other words, how do I create a column which subtracts from the preceeding cell? Hi you may provide some more details what you're trying to do exactly. Maybe post some example rows -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany aschneider wrote: > In other words, how do I create a column which subtracts from the > preceeding cell? If you want the balance in column B, and you are making entries in column A which are to be subtracted from the balance, put the starting balance in B1. In B2 put the formula =B1-A2 On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 08:35:08 -0700, "aschneider" <aschne...

Charts not recognizing source data if original linked data is changed.
I am very frustrated by Excel (2003) at the moment. I'm relatively new to using Excel in depth. I have always been able to work my way through most intricacies and pitfalls. But now I have been working in a workbook with linked sheets (and with linked workbooks too) and have two problems that I cannot solve. Right now, I have about 47 sheets that are set up as follows: detail data: this is the raw data the the user enters daily totals: this is calculated data from the detail sheets summary sheets: further sums from the daily totals and a chart object that charts these sums (a line or sc...

sp_columns does not return NVARCHAR data type columns
Hi, our SQL Server Version is 2000 SP4. For several days the SP "sp_columns" does not return NVARCHAR data type columns any more. I reviewd the SP "sp_columns" and it seems, that the used SP "spt_datatype_info" does not return that type any more. A second production server returns that column type. The SP "sp_columns" is used by the ODBC-Driver to determine the table columns. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot, Nils Ok, my fault, it seems that "spt_datatype_info" is a table and there is no NVARCHAR row. After insert...

Pivot Chart Created from Pivot Table is Blank
HELP!!! I am following a tutorial in an Excel 2007 book step-by-step. In one of the lessons I was able to successfully and easily create a pivot chart from a pivot table. In my next lesson, I am following the exact same steps (even have started over a couple of times), and when I create a pivot chart from the pivot table in this lesson, it creates a blank chart. WHY DOES IT DO THIS??? I know I have followed the steps correctly. Any ideas on why Excel isn't cooperating with me on this lesson would be soooo appreciated. Hi, Blank charts usually result from having your cursor in...

2 Questions on Pivot Tables
Any assistance appriciated. (Excel 2003) 1) I have a simple Pivot table showing 6 groups with their totals and a subtotal eg: America 10 UK 15 Oz 22 etc. Grand Total 125 I want to Pivot Graph this data, no problems. I want however an extra line to show the total on the Secondary Axis. I have almost got it by placing the column in a second time as a Running Total and then as a Line on my chart, hiding all the values until the last point. However I would like if possible the Total as a horizontal line across the chart? 2) I h...

Duplication of labels within pivot table
I am using a cvs file to copy & paste data into a workbook (not saving the file as an excel document and then coping & pasting into the workbook). This workbook is updated weekly from the same hard format reporting system with current information only - all other aspects of the report remain the same. I am seeing duplication of the labels within my pivot table. It seems that the information is being recorded as stacked data not as continuious data within my data base. Could this be caused by the copy & paste directly from the cvs file rather then from an excel file. At this tim...

How to stop RichEdit color change overriding default color
I've got a handly little syntax editor going along (that--so far-- is waaay faster than the examples on codeguru.com (if you'd like to know how to speed them up, I spotted a logic flaw in two of them. If you're interested, just email me). I have a question on a different syntax editor I'm writing for an in-house language though, so you'll notice some unique features that enable me to take shortcuts. But I've got a funny little problem. If the user is typing at the end of the rich edit control, and they type in a keyword and it gets colored, any text typed after tha...

Unhide Tables in Acc2k7
Hi! How do I unhide tables in the Acces2k7, please? When I try: Navigation Pane, Access Options, Navigation Options, the Groups for "Tables and Related Views" is empty. Thanks in advance. an Do they show up if you select Object Type instead? Try Office Button, Access Options, Current Database, Navigation Options button. When that window opens, select all the Display Options at the lower left of the window. If that doesn't work, make a copy of your database and hide it away in a safe place. Then do a compact and repair. If that doesn't work, open a...