Cannot select a range of text

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

0
Arthur_Berman

Hi Arthur:

Not enough information to answer.  Please carry out some diagnostic testing
for us:

1)  Is this one document, several documents, or all documents?

2)  Is this both .doc and .docx?  If not, which one?

3)  Are these documents all created from the same template or different
ones?

4)  What kind of text is this you are selecting? (Table, text box, outline,
notebook, paragraph, image)

5)  Any haxies or add-ons running on your mac (WindowShades, TypeItForMe,
Spell-Catcher, etc?)

Help us to help you...

On 24/05/10 4:53 PM, in article 59bb8e64.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Arthur_Berman@officeformac.com" <Arthur_Berman@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I am unable to select a range of text with either the track pad or my mouse.
> I am able to double- or triple-click to select, and can use keyboard commands
> to select all, etc.
>
> This is a new problem that has not existed before.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Art

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John_McGhie_
5/24/2010 8:45:00 AM
> Hi Arthur: <br>
> Not enough information to answer.  Please carry out some diagnostic testing <br>
> for us: <br>
> 1)  Is this one document, several documents, or all documents? <br>
> 2)  Is this both .doc and .docx?  If not, which one? <br>
> 3)  Are these documents all created from the same template or different <br>
> ones? <br>
> 4)  What kind of text is this you are selecting? (Table, text box, outline, <br>
> notebook, paragraph, image) <br>
> 5)  Any haxies or add-ons running on your mac (WindowShades, TypeItForMe, <br>
> Spell-Catcher, etc?) <br>
> Help us to help you... <br>
> On 24/05/10 4:53 PM, in article 59bb8e64.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, <br>
> &quot;Arthur_Berman@officeformac.com&quot;  wrote: <br>
> > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel <br>
> > I am unable to select a range of text with either the track pad or my mouse. <br>
> > I am able to double- or triple-click to select, and can use keyboard commands <br>
> > to select all, etc. <br>
> > This is a new problem that has not existed before. <br>
> > Thanks!  <br>
> > Art <br>
>  -- <br>
> The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum <br>
> matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay! <br>
> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer, <br>
> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd <br>
> Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 | mailto:john@mcghie.name <br>
> This applies to all documents, .doc and .docx., same template, normal text (print layout), no haxies or add-ons. <br><br>Thanks
0
Arthur_Berman
5/24/2010 9:06:06 AM
Thanks Arthur:

OK, this procedure should resolve it:

Either your preferences or your Normal template have picked up rubbish from
a previous version. You need to do a full "Remove and Replace".  Installing
has no effect at all unless you first remove.

1)  Track down all instances of pre-2008 Normal template on your computer,
and drag them to your desktop.  The file is called simply "Normal" and has
no extension.

3)  Find and delete the file Normal.dotm.  Unless you have moved it, it
should be in
~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/

4)  If the following files exist, Remove or rename them:

 ~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Word Settings (10)

 ~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Word Settings (11)

 ~/Library/Preferences/com.Microsoft.Word.plist

 ~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office 2008 (the whole folder!)

5) Ensure that your copy of OS X is right up-to-date with the latest patches
issued by Apple.  Run Software Update until it finds nothing!

7) Then Repair Permissions with Disk Utility.

8) Now start Font Book and "Resolve Duplicates".  Office installs some later
versions of fonts already in place: you must get the duplicates out, or Word
will crash.

9) Then install the 12.2.0 and 12.2.3 and 12.2.4 updates, if required, in
that order.

10) Repair permissions again.

11)  Now shut down, wait for the power to go off, then re-start.  This fires
the Unix clean-up scripts.

Should be good to go now.

Cheers

On 24/05/10 7:06 PM, in article 59bb8e64.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Arthur_Berman@officeformac.com" <Arthur_Berman@officeformac.com> wrote:

>> Hi Arthur:
>>
>> Not enough information to answer.  Please carry out some diagnostic testing
>> for us:
>>
>> 1)  Is this one document, several documents, or all documents?
>>
>> 2)  Is this both .doc and .docx?  If not, which one?
>>
>> 3)  Are these documents all created from the same template or different
>> ones?
>>
>> 4)  What kind of text is this you are selecting? (Table, text box, outline,
>> notebook, paragraph, image)
>>
>> 5)  Any haxies or add-ons running on your mac (WindowShades, TypeItForMe,
>> Spell-Catcher, etc?)
>>
>> Help us to help you...
>>

>> On 24/05/10 4:53 PM, in article 59bb8e64.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
>> "Arthur_Berman@officeformac.com"  wrote:
>>
>>> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor:
>>> Intel
>>> I am unable to select a range of text with either the track pad or my mouse.
>>> I am able to double- or triple-click to select, and can use keyboard
>>> commands
>>> to select all, etc.
>>>
>>> This is a new problem that has not existed before.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Art
>>
>>  --
>>
>> The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
>> matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay!
>>
>> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,
>> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
>> Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 | mailto:john@mcghie.name
>>
>> This applies to all documents, .doc and .docx., same template, normal text
>> (print layout), no haxies or add-ons.
>
> Thanks

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John_McGhie_

If any cell in a range is blank question
Hello. I have two sheets in a workbook. One is a Summary sheet, and the next is titled "Bldg 5". What I am trying to make sure is that the range A1:K20 on the Bldg 5 sheet has had data entered to them (ie, they are not blank). The question that corresponds to Summary sheet A1 is "Has the data for Bldg 5 been updated?" If ANY blank in Bldg 5's range A1: K20, then put a "NO" in Summary A1's cell. If ALL of the Bldg 5 range had data in it, then put a "YES" in Summary A1. I also need A1 to update as data is entered into the Bldg 5 range (a...

Changing color of a range of cells dending up on a value in anothr
Hi, I need to change the color of a range of cell, depending up on the value in another cell. I am using Excel 2003. And it allows me to give only 3 conditions when using conditional format. But I have 7 differnt conditions. Thanks in advance for any help. Srajes. Unless you move to XL2007, you will need to use VBA. Here are some sites that will help http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/excel-conditional-formatting-limit.htm http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/condfmt.htm Alternatively, there is an add-in here http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.CFPlus.Download.html -- Steve "Srajes&qu...

help with the syntax for using range name in a formula?
I have --------=3D+AVERAGE(SMALL(B7:B19,{1,2,3}))-------------. I want to replace B7:B19 with =93Myrange=94 but I can=92t seem to get the syntax right. excel says error in formula. Thks in advance for any help BRC Hi =AVERAGE(SMALL(Myrange,{1,2,3})) have you created Myrange? have you spelt it correctly? -- Regards Roger Govier "BRC" <brc1051-googrps@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:d0e09817-22dc-4c36-b60d-67a397067441@h9g2000yqa.googlegroups.com... > I have --------=+AVERAGE(SMALL(B7:B19,{1,2,3}))-------------. I want > to replace B7:B19 with �Myra...

Lowest value in a selection of data
Hi What formula would I use to find the lowest value in a selection of data i.e. B49:E52. Much Appreciated Brian =MIN(B49:E52) -- Gary''s Student - gsnu2007a Jumping in here... Is it possible to know the address of the cell containing the minimum value? John. You can use the MATCH function to locate the (relative) position, but if you have more than one value which are minima then it will only find the first. Pete On Nov 16, 7:23 pm, John Google <JohnGoo...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote: > Jumping in here... > > Is it possible to know the address of the cell containin...

Text Box Linked To Cell
My goal is to have a text box that displays the contents of a particular cell. How do I link the text box to the cell? Thanks, Denise Hi denise, Make a Text Box from the drawing toolbar. Select the box and in the Formula Bar, type = and then select the cell, press enter. ( IE: =$C$5 ) The cell can also be on a different sheet, just do the same. ( IE: =Sheet2!C5 ) Dave denise Wrote: > My goal is to have a text box that displays the contents of a > particular > cell. How do I link the text box to the cell? > > Thanks, > Denise -- Piranha --------------------------...

How to you selectively sum on a series of numbers?
I have a column filled with numbers, but I only want to sum up a few of them. Let's say I have numbers filling A1:A10. Let's say I only want to sum up the numbers located is A3 and A4. I'd like to ability to enter something in the b column (e.g. "y" in cells b3 and b4) and have a formula that adds up the values in the "A" cells that have a corresponding "y" in the "B" column. This formula would allow me to selectively choose which cells needs to be summed. What is the best/cleanest way to write that formula? Thank you. =SUMPRODUC...

Modify Exchange undeliverable email text
Is there a way in Exchange 2003 to modify the text of the message that is sent for an undeliverable email address? Thank You Jason Shaw Not natively. James Chong MCSE + Messaging, MCTS msexchangetips.blogspot.com Jasons9745 wrote: > Is there a way in Exchange 2003 to modify the text of the message that > is sent for an undeliverable email address? > Thank You > Jason Shaw Not easily done. Jasons9745 wrote: > Is there a way in Exchange 2003 to modify the text of the message that > is sent for an undeliverable email address? > Thank You > Jason Shaw > > -...

Using Query by typing " SELECT......"
Hello, When I saw on the addresss sample database, the form Household is uing query by just mentioning SELECT...... My question is how can type SELECT then prompt the table to us. I normally use grid query, what is the difference using grid query of SQL Query ( is it SQL that using SELECT....?) Many thanks for any idea provided -- H. Frank Situmorang The RecordSource property of a form can accept: - a table name - a query name - a SQL statement. You can change the RecordSource property of the form programmatically. For example, if the form currently has a RecordSource of: SELECT ...

Disappearing Text
Hi. All my new and existing mail in Outlook Express has the subject line and the from populated, but the body of the message won't come up. We get the hourglass and it never goes away. Any ideas? Please email answers to kevinbrand@earthlink.net. Thanks Kevin Hi, Start --> Run --> Regsvr32 inetcomm.dll Hope this helps !!! With Regards, Sudharson.AN "Kevin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1284e01c41826$c0787480$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Hi. All my new and existing mail in Outlook Express has > the subject line and the from populate...

Do Pivot Tables have an automatic data range expansion?
As I add new rows of data to my data base, my pivot table will not expand to include them after refreshing. Is there any way of setting the pivot table to include the entire database regardless of its continuously growing size? Right now, as I add a new row of data I must delete my old Pivot table and create a new one from scratch. Is this normal? You can use a dynamic range that grows/contracts with your data. Debra Dalgleish explains it all at: http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html#Dynamic David.c.h wrote: > > As I add new rows of data to my data base, my pivot table wil...

Inserting a string of text in front of existing text in excel
How do I insert a word or words in front of existing text cells on a multiple cell basis ? Hi try something like the following macro (works on your selection): sub foo() dim rng as range dim cell as range dim str_part set rng=selection str_part="precede_" for each cell in rng if cell.value<>"" then cell.value=str_part & cell.value end if next end sub >-----Original Message----- >How do I insert a word or words in front of existing text >cells on a multiple cell basis ? >. > If a formula will do, try something like this (with the existing text...

Mac Office 2004 Select Version & purchasing Office 2007
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3282203639_150809 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit Hello, All through the Fall, our University advertised a deal from Microsoft similar to the Super Suite Deal wherein purchasing Microsoft Select Office 2004 Standard Mac for $75 would qualify one to purchase Mac Office 2008 for the $10 (just the S&H charges). Now they inform me that that Microsoft reneged (their word) on that deal and t...

OWA
OWA text field is always 'grayed out' - on new messages and replies. Small "x" button in upper left of text field seems to have no functionality. Subject field is OK. Bummer - do you have a question? If yes, then try asking it in an Exchange news group as Outlook Web Access is a function of Exchange, not Outlook. Microsoft.public.exchange.admin is a good place to start. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted w...

Problem creating full text index
I seem to be unable to create a full text index of either my public or private store. When I try to creat the index I get the error; The directory name is invalid. Facility: MSSearch.Admin.1 ID no: 8007010b Exchange system Manager This seems to be happening for both the public and private stores. The directory does exist. I have looked over the permissions and tried to compare to known working servers and I haven't moticed any obvious differences. Any ideas? Did you follow this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822932/en-us Nue "Jonathan Huber" <JonathanHu...

International Range style settings
Hi there, I am using Excel 2007, the Ducth version. I have created a workbook with macros, partly recorded. In one of the I am using some code like With ActiveCell If .Value < gdblNormValue Then .Style = "Ongeldig" End If End With In the English version it shoul be With ActiveCell If .Value < gdblNormValue Then .Style = "Bad" End If End With Is there a constant I can ue instead of the text "Bad"? Thanks Wouter Styles have both Name and Local name properties, so I *think* the English name should work ...

Limit selected area
After a sequence of operations I finish up with the desired result within a new spreadsheet. I wish to save this as a file. But the whole spreadsheet seems to be selected. How do I limit the area selected to just the part of the spreadsheet in use, before I perform the Save As operation? Thanks Brian Tozer Brian That is how Excel saves. The entire workbook is saved. If you want a selected area of one worksheet or just one worksheet of many, you would copy that to a new blank workbook and save that workbook using the Save As. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 09:44:55 +1200, &qu...

Some macro help
Lets say I have selected the arbitray range of j31:ax44. I want to run some macro code that will hide every column in that selection where the entire selected column range has nothing in it (blank). Data validation may be assigned to the cells, but if nothing has been selected from the drop down list, then those cells are technically blank. There may be data entered elsewhere in the column, but it is outside of the selected range and thus shouldn't be considered for being hidden or not. Can anyone help me with some code to perform this action? TIA, AlanN How about: Option Explicit Sub...

converting from text to numerical number
I have a spread sheet of entire year schedule. The format as following: 1 2 3 .... 31 row 1 row 2 row 3 Jan row 4 row 5 Feb row x Dec I would like to replace column 1 up to Jan to 1. Replace the cell below Jan to Feb to 2. etc. Would anyone help. Thanks in advance. You could select cells A1:A3, type a 1, then press Ctrl+Enter Select A4:A5, type a 2, and press Ctrl+Enter And so on, till all twelve months are done. james wrote: > I have a spread sheet of entire year schedule. The format as following: > > 1 2 3 .... 31 &...

Input text message (dialog box) for data validation
Hello all: This may sound idiotic to some, but I've already been wasting too much time with this option, and am looking for some guru insight. I am trying to input text into the Data Validation Text Box that looks something like this: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Q3) Was this a prospective or retrospective analysis or study documenting the effects of XYZ that compared and reported the data in the Marketing Strategy Program? a) Yes b) No c) This appears to be a concise comparison, but ot...

randomly scatter text
I have pub. 2003, I need to know how to take a phrase and randomly scatter it allover the page, with out placing it manually. I was able to do it on the last version of publisher but I can't seem to find the random button on this one. PLEASE HELP!!! Tabs? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "jenice" <jenice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C2C51271-D425-4E3E-8A71-55365A05D774@microsoft.com... >I have pub. 2003, I need to know how to take a phrase and randomly scatter it > all...

Access 2007 Special Effect Text Box Won't show Sunken with Windows XP
Hi All I am just getting to grips with Access 2007 and one of the quirks I have found is that when I design using Windows in XP Windows-Classic colors and set the text boxes on forms' special effect property to "sunken" They appear as sunken in the correct manner. However, when I change to the Windows XP color scheme the forms text boxes appear flat even though the special effect property has not changed. Any ideas or is it a new quirk we have to live with. I haven't tried it with Vista yet. That should be interesting Thanks Bob I am quite sure this is the same for acce...

VBA for comparing data within a range for Excel 2003
Hello, I have a column of data ( Column AD) where the cells will either be blank or have a numerical value in the cell. There is no pattern to which a cell will have a value or not. I am attempting to write code that will compare the data in the cells. In my example let D = the active cell B = the cell with a numerical value 2 above the active cell C = the cell with a numerical value 1 above the active cell A = the cell with a numerical value 3 above the active cell The logic is IF D >B, AND C>A Then AE = "Uptrend" or IF D<B, C<A, Then AE = "...

Date Range
Hi, When I want the date rage appeared on the report header, I use textbox and put (qry criteria) in its recordsource. It works fine. However, For this time, I got a message like this ‘First([Between [From this date] And [To this date]])" Is there something wrong with the qry criteria? Would you please show me how to fix the problem? Thanks Chi It's very hard to understand the crtieria, can you post the full SQL What is the First in the beginning? Why there are to square brackes in the end And in the beinning? First([Between [From this date] And [To this date]])" T...

Sorting imported text
I have a spreadsheet into which I've imported a great deal of data in two columns only. I set out rows one, three and five of hundreds of such rows. The cells in column A consist of place names. (The "C" following the place name stands for "City", the "A" for "Area".) The cells in column C represent the population of the city or area, as the case may be. I've formatted the cells in column C as numbers. Albury (C) 44887 Armidale Dumaresq (A) 24596 Ashfield (A) 40258 I want to sort the placenames in order of their po...

Redefining a table range with a macro
Hello, I need help creating code to redefine a table within a macro. I used the macro recorder to creata a table with the same name but to point to another locations. ActiveWorkbook.Names("Table1").Delete ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add Name:="Table1", RefersToR1C1:= _ "='Sheet1'!R3C28:R12C37" How do I make this dynamic, so the starting point, #of rows and # of columns are defined by variables? Help is much appreciated. Regards, OMER On May 21, 4:57=A0pm, OMER <O...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hello, > ...