cannot insert objects or equations

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

After installing a new hard disk, I cannot insert an equation or other object (i.e. spreadsheet). The "Insert equation" menu item is grayed out, and no objects appear in the Insert Object's "Object Type" box. I have uninstalled Office, reinstalled it, and installed updates. What can I do to make it work again?
0
kturkowski

This can get very ugly, depending on how you installed the hard disk in the
first place.

The Apple "Migration Utility" seems to make an unholy mess of the folder
permissions.  It is often best to nuke the thing from orbit and start again.

First, try running Disk Utility and choose "Repair Permissions".  Sadly, you
may be too far down the track for this to work, but at least it's quick.

After repairing permissions, run the Office Remover tool.

Then re-install from the Office DVD.

Then re-apply the updates in sequence.

Finally, repair permissions again and reboot the machine.

If this doesn't work, you will need to do an Archive and Install from the
Apple OS X DVD.  Then re-install from the Office CD and re-update.

The issue appears to be that the Migrate Utility brings the preferences
across.  That can't work, because the permissions on the preferences relate
to the old disk, not the new one...

Hope this helps

On 10/03/10 9:01 AM, in article 59bb4668.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"kturkowski@officeformac.com" <kturkowski@officeformac.com> wrote:

> After installing a new hard disk, I cannot insert an equation or other object
> (i.e. spreadsheet). The "Insert equation" menu item is grayed out, and no
> objects appear in the Insert Object's "Object Type" box. I have uninstalled
> Office, reinstalled it, and installed updates. What can I do to make it work
> again?

matters unless you intend to pay!

 --

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.

0
John
3/9/2010 10:51:04 PM
> first place. <br>
> The Apple &quot;Migration Utility&quot; seems to make an unholy mess of the folder <br>
> permissions.  It is often best to nuke the thing from orbit and start again. <br>
> First, try running Disk Utility and choose &quot;Repair Permissions&quot;.  Sadly, you <br>
> may be too far down the track for this to work, but at least it's quick. <br>
> After repairing permissions, run the Office Remover tool. <br>
> Then re-install from the Office DVD. <br>
> Then re-apply the updates in sequence. <br>
> Finally, repair permissions again and reboot the machine. <br>
> If this doesn't work, you will need to do an Archive and Install from the <br>
> Apple OS X DVD.  Then re-install from the Office CD and re-update. <br>
> The issue appears to be that the Migrate Utility brings the preferences <br>
> across.  That can't work, because the permissions on the preferences relate <br>
> to the old disk, not the new one... <br>
> Hope this helps <br>
> On 10/03/10 9:01 AM, in article 59bb4668.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, <br>
> &quot;kturkowski@officeformac.com&quot;  wrote: <br>
> > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel <br>
> > After installing a new hard disk, I cannot insert an equation or other object <br>
> > (i.e. spreadsheet). The &quot;Insert equation&quot; menu item is grayed out, and no <br>
> > objects appear in the Insert Object's &quot;Object Type&quot; box. I have uninstalled <br>
> > Office, reinstalled it, and installed updates. What can I do to make it work <br>
> > again? <br>
> This email is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum <br>
> matters unless you intend to pay! <br>
>  --  <br>
> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer, <br>
> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia. <br>
> Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410; mailto:john@mcghie.name <br>

0
kturkowski
3/10/2010 12:49:23 AM
This is the "Scorched Earth" fix.

Whatever it is, if it's caused by Office, this should fix it.

First:  Download and re-apply the latest Apple OS X Combo Update from here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=search&src=support_site.kbase&fac=Dow
nloads&q=Mac%20OS%20X%20Combo

Test now: that may fix it.  If not:  I am picking that one of the components
of your software has gotten out of synch with the others.

1)  Quit all Microsoft applications.

Run the Remove Office utility.  You must run Remove Office, or you'll make
the problem worse!  And Office must be installed WHEN you run it, otherwise
Remove Office will do nothing because it can't find what it's looking for.

2)  Run Remove Office TWICE to make sure it finds everything.  Remove Office
is in a folder on your CD, and is also in a folder in your Office 2008
Application folder.

3)  Track down all instances of pre-2008 Normal template on your computer,
and drag them to your desktop.  The file is called simply "Normal" and has
no extension.

4)  Find and drag the file Normal.dotm to your desktop.  Unless you have
moved it, it should be in
/Users/ ~ /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/

5)  If the following files exist, Remove or rename them:

 ~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Word Settings (10)

 ~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Word Settings (11)

6) User/Library/Preferences/com.Microsoft.Word.plist

7) User/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office 2008 (the whole folder!)

8) Then Repair Permissions with Disk Utility.

9) Then re-install, and reapply the 12.1.0 and 12.1.5 updates, in that
order.

10) Repair permissions again, and it should work.

Be thorough with this, if you leave any of the old files behind Word 2008
will find them and won't replace them.  Do it right and Word will construct
a new, clean, set of preferences and everything should now work.

On 10/03/10 11:49 AM, in article 59bb4668.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
> [...]

>>> object
>>> (i.e. spreadsheet). The "Insert equation" menu item is grayed out, and no
>>> objects appear in the Insert Object's "Object Type" box. I have uninstalled
>>> Office, reinstalled it, and installed updates. What can I do to make it work
>>> again?
>>
>> This email is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
>> matters unless you intend to pay!
>>
>>  --
>>
>> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
>> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.
>> Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410; mailto:john@mcghie.name

matters unless you intend to pay!

 --

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.

easier method for inserting object in cell
hi, i am using the Insert>Object process to attach any file or E-mail in a cell.for this i have go to the path and choose the path and search the file or E-Mial out of many files. Is there any simpler way of inserting files or emails like copy and paste type. Regards, Radhakant ...

Execute a variable as an insertion into a VBA code line
2003 & 2007 Is there a way to obtain, via Inputbox, to run the code line below: "MyToolsObject.Test" X = "MyToolsObject." & Application.InputBox("VB.NET File to test: ", "ENTER PROCEDURE NAME") Assume: X = "MyToolsObject.Test " Effectively, how can I "Execute" X as if it were the codeline below? Sub DecodeRunDLL() ' Dim MyToolsObject As ToolsNET.Tools Set MyToolsObject = New ToolsNET.Tools MyToolsObject.Test ' <<<<< *********** ...

How do I insert Lorem Ipsum into a word doc?
I need to insert a placeholder in a word doc and want to insert lorem ipsum.How do I do this? You can use the rand function to insert dummy text. See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/DummyText.htm. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Lucinda F" <LucindaF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3456F0AF-E33A-4F2B-9C04-BF7055643798@microsoft.com... >I need to insert a placeholder in a word doc and want to insert lorem > ipsum.How do I do this? And in Word 2007, there's an =lorem() function as well. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill ...

Insert Large File with pure TSQL?
I have a table with an ID column and an XML column. I wuld like to put a 6mb XML file on-disk into the table, using SSMS (not ADO.NET or anything else outside of management studio). This is for some one-off testing stuff, so quick-n-dirty is all I need. Any suggesions? Thanks. SnapDive (SnapDive@community.nospam) writes: > I have a table with an ID column and an XML column. I wuld like to put > a 6mb XML file on-disk into the table, using SSMS (not ADO.NET or > anything else outside of management studio). This is for some one-off > testing stuff, so quick-n-dirty is...

Where is the Object section?
I need to put a sub command into the object section for a formula to work. However i am not understanding what or where the object or object section is. Does anyone know where it is? Hi, Maybe it would be best to explain what your trying to do. -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "gudencough" wrote: > I need to put a sub command into the object section for a formula to work. > However i am not understanding what or where t...

could not load an object because it is not available on this machine
I'm running Exchange server 5.5. A few users are complaining that when they try to open any of their contacts, they get the message 'could not load an object because it is not available on this machine'. I uninstalled Outlook and reinstalled it and I still have the same problem. Is there any way to correct this? Thanks for any help. The usual cause of that warning is that the contacts' MessageClass = property is pointing to a published form that uses an ActiveX control = that is not present on those particular machines. The solution is either = to determine what control ...

Stopping mouse selecting chart objects
I am using MouseDown to return co-ordinates on a chart in Excel 2007. This works but the mouse also selects the various chart elements so they get accidentally moved. I have tried ActiveChart.ProtectSelection and ActiveChart.Protect neither of which solve the problem. ...

insert a break in X axe
Hi all!! I have a question for you! Suppose you have the following value in the X axe 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 now suppose I need to skip numbers 5,6,7 from the chart and replace them by // or something similar. In breaf I would like to shrink the x axe. How would you do that? I hope I have been clear enough! Thanks fab A spelling correction axe => axis Sorry "Fabrizio" <niobio@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uN9qESYPEHA.3420@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hi all!! > > I have a question for you! > > Suppose you have the following value in the X axe 1,2,...

Conditional Formatting
Hi, Is there a way that when you insert rows, the conditional formatting on the adjacent rows does not copy into the inserted/new row? Thanks, Here are tow ways of inserting a row when the text changes in Column A (I don't know why you are inserting rows). Sub InsertRow_At_Change() Dim LastRow As Long Dim x As Long LastRow = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row Application.ScreenUpdating = False For x = LastRow To 3 Step -1 If Cells(x, 1).Value <> Cells(x - 1, 1).Value Then If Cells(x, 1).Value <> "" Then If Cells(x - 1, 1).Value <> "...

Insert a special character before and after a word
Hi, For ex: In a cell, lets say the value is 'Microsoft'. i want to create a button or a macro such that, if i click that it should insert ')' before & after that word. How to do it? Rgds, Venkatesh Hi, Venkatesh Try selecting the cell to be modified and running this: Sub AddBrackets() Selection.Value = "(" & Selection.Formula & ")" End Sub If you want to modify a range of cells, select them then run this: Sub AddBracketsToRange() Dim CellToModify As Object For Each CellToModify In Selection CellToModify.Formula...

How do I insert a partial filename?
I am inserting a filename to my footer; however the file path is very long and I wanted to condense the file name by only showing the last 2-3 "folder tiers". Any ideas? A, Using code is the only way I know to do it. Jim Cone San Francisco, USA '-------------------------- Sub FillInFooter() Dim strPath As String Dim strFooter As String 'Number of folders to display in footer. Const lngNUMBER As Long = 2 strPath = ActiveWorkbook.FullName 'Call the function that parses the file path. strFooter = ShowPartOfPath(strPath, lngNUMBER) 'Add path to the righ...

printing inserted pictures
How can I print an inserted picture in Outlook 2000? If I go to print preview I see the header and just a box with jpg in it. If I try to print, I get the header with the box and jpg in it printed. I checked the settings and its set for html. What am I missing so I can print the pictures? Thanks! Steve Hi Steve, The following Knowledge Base (KB) article addresses the issue that you are having. 295585.KB.EN-US An Outlook HTML Message with a Picture Is Not Printed Correctly After You can access this article by clicking on the link below. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;E...

How do I insert countdown timer in Word?
Want to leave a countdown to an event in my email tag. Any help or direction is apprecaited ...

automating the insertion of HTML tables (or tab delimited files)
Hi, I am completely new to Word programming, so I am not even sure if this is the way to solve my problem, but here goes: I have approximately 400-500 HTML tables in various HTML files (the data making up these tables also exists in tab delimited ASCII files). My goal is to insert the tables into a Word document. The problems I am facing are: 1.) How do I "loop" over each HTML file & "grab" the table & insert it into the appropriate place within the Word document? I can do this manually by going to "Insert" then "file" t...

Inserting a missed transaction in the register in Money 2006.
Does anyone know how to insert a transaction in the register in Money 2006? I will sometimes inadvertantly skip a transaction, and then have to delete all the transactions following the place where it should go, then reenter all the deleted transactions once the skipped one has been entered. I sort based on entry order, so that I get a math check on my paper checkbook register. I want the order in the Money 2006 register to match the order in my checkbook register. In microsoft.public.money, sawdust wrote: >Does anyone know how to insert a transaction in the register in Money 200...

Outlook Object Model
Hello, I want to use Outlook Object Model from .NET Platform. It's possible using reference in project but... what about if I Outlook changes to higher version?! How to write code which uses OOM whatever version it is ? Thankx a lot. Robetr ...

Application object of a running application
Dear All, I have developed a MFC dialog based application. In this applicaion I am detecting running instance of the application by using mutex object. HANDLE hMutex; hMutex = CreateMutex(NULL, TRUE, "App.exe"); if(GetLastError() ==ERROR_ALREADY_EXISTS) { // Mutex exists so there is a running instance of app hMutex = NULL; break; } However If my application is already running I want to get the application object and need to call some methods using application object(CWinApp,CDialog). Please suggest how do I achieve this. Thanks in advance. "Ajay ...

Overhead of 'XmlDocument' object
What's the overhead involved in creating lots and lots of XmlDocument objects within one application? Not being terribly familiar with the innards of the DOM used with the framework, was wondering what you're paying for by instantiating lots of little documents as opposed to one big one. Thanks, Justin Justin Galzic wrote: > What's the overhead involved in creating lots and lots of XmlDocument > objects within one application? Not being terribly familiar with the > innards of the DOM used with the framework, was wondering what you're > paying for by instantiating...

Logarithmic equation
As basic as this might seem I cannot find the value of -y- in thi equation.I need it to determine at which level my department will be i terms of sales on day 21.Hence, -x- in the equation representing 21. _Y=278,85LN(X)+2030,2 Can anyone please help, its my first time in this forum so I hope I wa clear with my problem.Thankyo -- Pedro Monteir ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Pedro Monteiro's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3786 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=57411 In c...

Classic Detail View for Access objects desired
Issue with Access 2007: I like having separate columns in the detail view for objects. I often like two switch sorting by Name and Modified columns. There is only one column in Access 2007 even though the sorting capability is in there. Is there another view or setting to get the old way of detail listing my queries and other objects? Avenius Gunter has created a database window for Access 2007: http://www.avenius.de/index.php?Produkte:DBC2007 More info on adapting to the new version: http://allenbrowne.com/Access2007.html -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Aus...

Insert XML string into Document
Hi all - I need some help trying to insert / append a block of xml text into an xml document. This is for a reporting app and as new data is available, I must add it to the end of the document. It should be simple but I cannot seem to find the magic combo. Here is what I am trying to do: The XML String is periodically generated and indicates the results of a system test. The File is the Log File and is opened and a new XmlDocument is created using the Log File FileStream. I want to insert / append the XML string in the ResultsLog Tags. I have tried a number of variations but can't ...

How do I insert a checkbox in Word?
I am trying to create a checklist from scratch, and I can't figure out how to insert a textbox next to each item. See http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Add_Toggle_Objects.htm -- Hope this helps, Doug Robbins - Word MVP Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services on a paid professional basis. "Green Machine" <Green Machine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:945AB30F-815E-4067-AACD-46A1ABF11769@microsoft.com... >I am trying to create a checklist from scratch, and I can't figure out how >to > insert a te...

How to insert Excel Flowchart into Power Point ?
I am trying to import (insert) a flowchart created in Excel into a Power Point presentation. How to do this? Select the flowchart. You may have to hold ctrl key down to select all parts of the chart. Copy the chart. Create a blank slide in PowerPoint and paste flowchart. "Stephanie" wrote: > I am trying to import (insert) a flowchart created in Excel into a Power > Point presentation. How to do this? ...

I want to match and insert info on 2 different sheets
Really embarassing newbie question: I have two sheets of data, both sheet have a common identifier "school code". One sheet has some results (numbers) for each school code that I'd like to match to the school codes on the other sheet. I can't seem to figure it out using "MATCH" or "VLOOKUP", what do I need to do? Hope this is enough info. Thanks. -- shanmac ------------------------------------------------------------------------ shanmac's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=36781 View this thread: http://www....

how to insert workbook names and worksheet names to access columns
Dear All, Please how can I copy or insert the filename (workbook) without the .xls extension in the first column of the access table and the worksheet name (worksheet tab) in the second column of an access table? Please I am working on a cost accounting document of a company. The workbook is named after the cost center name eg Sales and the Worksheet is named after the general ledger code (GLCode eg EE00875). After trasfering all worksheets of all workbooks into one access table using the TransferSpreadsheet method (this is successful), I created two columns using the RunSQL and ALTE...