Bizarre background window behavior in Word

I am running MS Office for Mac 2008 (12.2.4) on a 2008 Intel iMac with the
most recent version of Leopard OS. Since installing a recent upgrade to Mac
Office 2008, I have been having a frustrating problem when I keep multiple
documents open in Word. The active document will randomly be moved to the
background, while one of the inactive open documents will randomly move to
the foreground. Curiously, the inactive window now in the foreground
actually remains inactive, and if I continue typing, the text is placed in
the active window that is now hidden in the background. The only way to
bring the active document back to the foreground is to click the inactive
foreground window to make it active, and then click the formerly active
window in the background (or select if from the Window menu) to bring it
back to the foreground.

This happens at random but frequent intervals (every 10-60 seconds), so
essentially makes work with multiple document windows open impossible. I
have resorted to storing other open documents in the dock, but this slows
down my work flow when I am copying/pasting between documents.

I thought this could somehow be related to EndNote X1 CWYW plug in, but the
bizarre window behavior has persisted despite turning this EndNote feature
off and occurs even in documents that do not have imbedded citations. I have
no other third party plug-ins. I have purged Word preferences but the
problem persists.

I have searched MS website and the web and have not seen any other similar
complaints. Any suggestions on a fix would be greatly appreciated.

Stuart Katz
NYU School of Medicine

0
Stuart

Hi Stuart:

Sounds like Spaces playing up again.

Office 2008 version 12.2.4 has code in it to make it behave in Spaces under
Snow Leopard (10.6.3).  Which means it can sometimes do strange things in
Leopard (10.5.11).

If CWYW is running, Word will crash on quit, whether the document has
citations in it or not.

Cheers

On 3/06/10 12:40 AM, in article C82BE5A2.DB0D%stuart.katz@nyumc.org, "Stuart
Katz" <stuart.katz@nyumc.org> wrote:

> I am running MS Office for Mac 2008 (12.2.4) on a 2008 Intel iMac with the
> most recent version of Leopard OS. Since installing a recent upgrade to Mac
> Office 2008, I have been having a frustrating problem when I keep multiple
> documents open in Word. The active document will randomly be moved to the
> background, while one of the inactive open documents will randomly move to
> the foreground. Curiously, the inactive window now in the foreground
> actually remains inactive, and if I continue typing, the text is placed in
> the active window that is now hidden in the background. The only way to
> bring the active document back to the foreground is to click the inactive
> foreground window to make it active, and then click the formerly active
> window in the background (or select if from the Window menu) to bring it
> back to the foreground.
>
> This happens at random but frequent intervals (every 10-60 seconds), so
> essentially makes work with multiple document windows open impossible. I
> have resorted to storing other open documents in the dock, but this slows
> down my work flow when I am copying/pasting between documents.
>
> I thought this could somehow be related to EndNote X1 CWYW plug in, but the
> bizarre window behavior has persisted despite turning this EndNote feature
> off and occurs even in documents that do not have imbedded citations. I have
> no other third party plug-ins. I have purged Word preferences but the
> problem persists.
>
> I have searched MS website and the web and have not seen any other similar
> complaints. Any suggestions on a fix would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Stuart Katz
> NYU School of Medicine

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John_McGhie_
6/3/2010 9:24:02 AM
Uh John  OS.5.8  is the highest version of X.5. Now X.4 did go up to 4.11
0
pjonesCET
6/3/2010 6:09:53 PM
I had read about the Spaces glitch. I do not have Spaces activated on my
Leopard system.

Would upgrade to OS 10.6 possibly solve the problem?

On 6/3/10 5:24 AM, in article C82DB1D2.C257%john@mcghie.name,
"John_McGhie_[MVP]@officeformac.com" <John_McGhie_[MVP]@officeformac.com>
wrote:

> Hi Stuart:
>
> Sounds like Spaces playing up again.
>
> Office 2008 version 12.2.4 has code in it to make it behave in Spaces under
> Snow Leopard (10.6.3).  Which means it can sometimes do strange things in
> Leopard (10.5.11).
>
> If CWYW is running, Word will crash on quit, whether the document has
> citations in it or not.
>
> Cheers
>

> On 3/06/10 12:40 AM, in article C82BE5A2.DB0D%stuart.katz@nyumc.org, "Stuart
> Katz" <stuart.katz@nyumc.org> wrote:
>
>> I am running MS Office for Mac 2008 (12.2.4) on a 2008 Intel iMac with the
>> most recent version of Leopard OS. Since installing a recent upgrade to Mac
>> Office 2008, I have been having a frustrating problem when I keep multiple
>> documents open in Word. The active document will randomly be moved to the
>> background, while one of the inactive open documents will randomly move to
>> the foreground. Curiously, the inactive window now in the foreground
>> actually remains inactive, and if I continue typing, the text is placed in
>> the active window that is now hidden in the background. The only way to
>> bring the active document back to the foreground is to click the inactive
>> foreground window to make it active, and then click the formerly active
>> window in the background (or select if from the Window menu) to bring it
>> back to the foreground.
>>
>> This happens at random but frequent intervals (every 10-60 seconds), so
>> essentially makes work with multiple document windows open impossible. I
>> have resorted to storing other open documents in the dock, but this slows
>> down my work flow when I am copying/pasting between documents.
>>
>> I thought this could somehow be related to EndNote X1 CWYW plug in, but the
>> bizarre window behavior has persisted despite turning this EndNote feature
>> off and occurs even in documents that do not have imbedded citations. I have
>> no other third party plug-ins. I have purged Word preferences but the
>> problem persists.
>>
>> I have searched MS website and the web and have not seen any other similar
>> complaints. Any suggestions on a fix would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Stuart Katz
>> NYU School of Medicine
>>

>  --
>
> The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
> matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay!
>
> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,
> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
> Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 | mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
Stuart
6/3/2010 7:46:30 PM
Possibly, but the possibility is not high enough to spend money on just yet.

I would rather find the problem first.

I like 10.6.3 and Word behaves quite well in it, but 10.6.3 is not a
compelling upgrade unless you need it for other reasons.

Cheers

On 4/06/10 5:46 AM, in article C82D7ED6.DBDD%stuart.katz@nyumc.org, "Stuart
> [...]

>>> down my work flow when I am copying/pasting between documents.
>>>
>>> I thought this could somehow be related to EndNote X1 CWYW plug in, but the
>>> bizarre window behavior has persisted despite turning this EndNote feature
>>> off and occurs even in documents that do not have imbedded citations. I have
>>> no other third party plug-ins. I have purged Word preferences but the
>>> problem persists.
>>>
>>> I have searched MS website and the web and have not seen any other similar
>>> complaints. Any suggestions on a fix would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Stuart Katz
>>> NYU School of Medicine
>>>

>>  --
>>
>> The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
>> matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay!
>>
>> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,

Strange Behavior
Hi, I have constructed a snazzy UI in MFC by creating various dialogs with MFC's dialog editor (very important part of the process) and using them as child windows to other dialogs... with no frames and with nice background images, they fit onto one another seamlessly and make a very pretty and very manageable UI. The problem is that when you hit the enter key or the escape key, whichever child window currently has focus disappears! Poof! ha ha ha... MFC is thoughtful enough to realize that even though there are no longer IDOK or IDCANCEL buttons... and none of the buttons ...

'Some' Word files suddently corrupted
Just today, when I attempted to open some older MS Word (2003) files (in MS Word 2003), a dialog box appeared requesting the type of encoding required. The text appeared all jumbled and included numerous meaningless characters, rather than the original English text. I had recently installed OpenOffice 3.1 in an attempt to open some older OpenOffice documents. I uninstalled OpenOffice but the problem remains? What has happened and is there a reasonable 'cure?' Do the file icons appear to be different than what they were before? It may be that the file association has been...

Change cell background color based on content that results from li
This could be very simple, but I will lay the groundwork first. I have a schedule spreadsheet that I import data to from a web based program. There are existing filters to remove all formatting of the data and remove that which we do not use. What remains is a non formatted sheet that other workbooks link to so we can produce daily sheets. Now the data that is linked on the other sheets may be for example the number 150. It appears throughout the sheet and I would like to color any cell that contains the number 150. The problem is I can't search for 150 because it reall...

80070490 Error: Windows update encountered an unknown error 03-04-10
3 security updates will not complete (now 4). Error Code 80070490 02-Mar-10 I am unable to do these three security updates: KB970238(release date 6/9/09), KB97451(release date 10/13/09), KB954155(release date 10/13/09), & KB975517(release date 10/13/09). The last succesful update was KB9937286 on 2/27/2010 I have a Compaq Presario PC: SR5214X. OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Basic Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002 OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Manufacturer Compaq-Presario System Model GV441AA-ABA SR5214X System Type X86-based PC ...

Problem opening up current Excel wksht to mail merge in Word
Hi, I have Microsoft 2007. I created a list in Excel with clients' name, address, city, state, zip. Then, in Word I go to Select Recipients, locate the Excel file and click open. Here's the problem: a Select Table box appears with Sheet1$, Sheet2$, and Sheet3$ as options. clicking on any of the three results in NOTHING. Nothing at all appears! I'm not sure what the problem might be. Thank you for the help! Rachelle ...

limit create window/control max count?
Hi all. I am testing a create control. But I want create many control (more 10000) in dialog. I test dynamic create CButton. It's created about 9800. I want work. 1. have a two dialog.(A, B) 2. A dialog has 40 controls(Button, Spin, static). 3. B dialog has contain A dialog. A dialog is more than 200. 4. create A dialog dynamic.(Using A->Create(IDD, this)) and attach B dialog. A dialog is modaless. 5. But not create about 190. dialog create function return 0. thank for read. Have a nice day. You need to redesign your system, IMO. -- - Mark Randall http://zetech.swehli.com...

Money 2007 H & B + Windows Vista
Hello, I have read a lot about problems with installing and using Money (2007) on machines running Windows Vista. Is there some kind of "manual" how to go about the install procedure? A manual that describes where to have the program installed installed and where to keep the data? And a manual that describes how to keep the rights as an administrator as you would normally have under windows XP? And maybe there are some other issues that I haven't thought about. Thanks, Eric "Eric" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:468fe69d$0$37724$5fc3050@dre...

Bug with controls location and scrollbars in a Windows Form
Hi, I've noticed a bug with WinForm and scrollbars, and I would like to know if there is a workaround ... Bug description : ------------------------ 1) create a win form, and add 3 buttons : * FirstButton : upper left corner of the winform * SecondButton : location = (0 ; 600) * ThirdButton : location = (100, 600) 2) Set : ThirdButton.Visible = false 3) Set the Form size to 100 x 100 ... and set : AutoScroll = true 4) Add the following event handler to the Click event of FirstButton and SecondButton ... private vo...

Wrap to Window
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) In draft view, I'd like the text to wrap to the window size rather than the document's margins. Is this feature part of Word for Mac? It's easily done in the PC version. Thanks, Robin Hi Robin - Word> Preferences> View - check the box for Wrap text to window. HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 4/12/08 10:20 AM, in article ee98414.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Robin@officeformac.com" <Robin@officeformac.com> wrote: > Version: 2008 > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) > &g...

close all windows
is there any way to get access to close all the open windows usingVBA, without having to define all the open windows. many thanks michael Dim frm as FormFor each frm in Forms Docmd.Closenext frmOn Mar 20, 10:15 am, Wayne-I-M <Wayn...@discussions.microsoft.com>wrote:> DoCmd.Quit>> --> Wayne> Manchester, England.>>>> "michael goodall" wrote:> > is there any way to get access to close all the open windows using> > VBA, without having to define all the open windows. many thanks michael- Hide quoted text ->> - Show quoted text -...

window client area...
Hi, After getting a pointer to the main window by using AfxGetMainWnd(), how to get the window's client area? I try CalcWindowRect() but it returns huge numbers that don't make sense. Please help. Thanks. Tony Try GetClientRect() -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] ----------------------------------- "May Young" <tony@srac.com> wrote in message news:3FD6826E.1030603@srac.com... > Hi, > > After getting a pointer to the main window by using AfxGetMainWnd(), how > to get the window's client area? I try CalcWindowRect() but it returns >...

how can i present a JPG in a window having cell with the path?
I build a catalog for coins collection with Excel. each row represents a coin (record). in two cells (fields) i have a path to both sides of the coin scanned as a JPG files in the specific directory. i would like the following scenario: when i stand on a specific row (any cell), the relevant images are presented in 2 big windows. when i move to another row, the image automatically changes etc. i would like also to control the size of the window. would appreciate your help, thanks, sam Hi Sam See if this gets you started: Insert an Image1 from the activex coltrols toolbox. S...

Excel Charts in Word
I have a word report I need to do every month. The data and charts are in excel and the data changes monthly. How do I get the excel charts linked into a word document so that when I enter the new data in the excel spreadsheet that is automaitically updated in the report in the word docuemnt? Thanks Copy the Excel chart. In Word, use Edit menu > Paste Special, and select the Paste Link option. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Marc" <Marc@discussions.microso...

Problem linking excel charts in word
I have linked an excel chart into a word document by pasting special as a link. It looks fine when I paste it. I close the application and when I open it again the chart is cut off on the left, and sometimes at the top. It's as if the chart itself is off the edge of the frame it is sitting in. The chart in excel is perfectly OK. I can edit the excel chart, and edits are updated in the word document when links are updated, but it doesn't change the position of teh chart, so it's still cutting off part of the chart. The chart is on it's own sheet rather than being i...

Migrating from Novell to Windows 2000 server causes issues with .PST on Win95/98
All: Hopefully someone has seen this before and can provide a clue. We are currently migrating all of our user home directories from Novell 5 servers to Windows 2000 servers. The majority of our clients are XP and Windows 2000 workstations using Outlook 2000. However, there are still a number of clients using Windows 95/98 and Outlook 98. After copying .PST files from the Novell home directory to the Windows 2000 home directory using a Windows XP workstation, users using the Windows 95/98 workstations get an 'access denied error' when attempting to open their .PST folder from the ...

Two users on a network editing documents simultaneously in word 20
My office just upgraded from Word 2003 to Word 2007. We are on a network and share access to Word files. In Word 2003, if one user tried to open a file in which another user was working, a message would appear stating that the file was "locked for editing by (user)." It seems that with Word 2007, any user can open a file (and edit it) while another user is doing so as well. We do not want this to be the case, and just want the settings to be as they were with Word 2003 (i.e. if a document is in use, another user cannot access it simultaneously). Ideally, we'd lik...

Moving Outlook account to another Windows log-in user account
I currently use 2 different Windows log-in User accounts, and have an email account I access on each of them, 1 for work and 1 for home. I did this because my work environment is wireless. I'm sick of switching back and forth between Windows user accounts to check work email vs. personal email. How do I transfer one Outlook email account to another Windows user account on the same computer. I'm sure I could just add an email account on one or the other, and delete it from the existing User Account, but I'd like to retain all of my existing folders and content. Then I...

skin window
hi, I create a skinnable window. But I have no way to make its menu visible. How do I fix it? thanks hi alan.... how did you make skinnable window? I create a region on a bitmap that is almost a rectangle, then use SetWindowRgn to attach the window. When handling the WM_ERASEBKGND, I bitblt the bitmap to the DC. That's my way. "zek" <zekixx@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eyt6D0NXDHA.2424@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > hi alan.... > > how did you make skinnable window? > > thanks alan.. "Alan Li" <activeperson@sina.com> wrote in ...

Web hyperlinks: default browser and resulting browser window size?
Hi, Am using Excel 97 (I know it is old but I like it!) with Windows XP Pro (SP2). Have a series of web hyperlinks in a worksheet, that load the current chart for a specified chart, from Yahoo Finance. For example: http://chart.finance.yahoo.com/c/1y/c/tls.ax will load the chart for the Australian telco "Telstra". All the links work just fine but have two questions: 1) My default internet browser is Firefox but the links always open Internet Explorer. Is there a way to ensure that Firefox is used? 2) The loaded chart appears in a maximised IE window. Which is a bit silly as t...

Extracting a word from a long text field
I have a text field (up to 200 characters) and I need to extract a specific word. The text field name is "MEDICATIONS" and the word I need to extract which might appear anywhere in the field is 'VENOFER'. The word need to be entered in a separate field in a query. Could any one help as to how to enter the code in the query? Thanking you Leo In the criteria I entered Like "VENOFER" Or "Venofer" It seems to work. Will it cause any problems down the line? In other wrods is this an acceptable procedure? "Leo" wrote: >...

Re: is MS Publisher compatible with Word?
<<Can you use Word to edit Publisher files?>> No. Mac Townsend Adcom Graphics, Fairfield, C A www.adcomgraphics.com Powered by the E-mail PIM - Info Select - www.miclog.com ...

How do I hyperlink directly to a section within a Word Document?
I have the need to provide html hyperlinks on our SharePoint portal that will open a Word document and go directly to specific section. I've tried creating anchored links to bookmarks within Word (docx format) but only get as far as having the document open (with a uri like http://portal/requirements.docx#anchor) but it doesn't navigate to the bookmark. Since some of these documents can be quite large, jumping directly to the use case is important. Has anyone else successfully done something like this? Any help is appreciated, Don ...

Editing Password protected form fields in Word 2007
We have created a Word document with a legacy text form field. We inserted a word date field and protected the document allowing Filling in Forms. After protecting the document when we try going to the form field and clicking on back space to delete the entry we get "This is not a valid selection" message box. We have existing word documents in 2003 with similar form fields. We were able to delete the entries and add new data. After converting the documents to 2007 or create new documents in 2007 and try to delete the entries we get the above error. Hi Veera, ...

In Word 2007, I want to enable tabbing between fields in my .docm
In Developer Mode, how can I set the properties of my fields to support tabbing from one field to another in my Word form? What kind of "fields" did you insert? If they're form fields from the Legacy Controls button, you have to turn off Design Mode and then protect the document for forms. Either click the Protect Document button and go through the Restrict Formatting pain/pane, or add the Lock command to your Quick Access Toolbar. If they're content controls (the other buttons in the Controls group), tabbing between controls other than a Rich Text control w...

How do I STOP outlook from opening a New Explorer window on every
When I click on a Link to a Web Page it always opens a New Explorer Everytime. How do I Stop this ?? This is Very annoying & a Pain to keep closing them I agree with Ken. Is there a way to do right click on a link and select "Copy Shortcut" instead of clicking the link to open a new window? Thanks, Ruf Ken in AB <Ken in AB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When I click on a Link to a Web Page it always opens a New Explorer > Everytime. How do I Stop this ?? > > This is Very annoying & a Pain to keep closing them In IE, click Tools>Internet Optio...