Alternating Positioning of Header 03-12-10

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

I'm writing a reference book, using Word 2008 if it will do what I need it to do.  Each chapter will be its own section so that I can have a unique header, and I'll suppress the header on the first page of each chapter.  However, I want both the header and page number to be to the left on even pages, and to the right on odd ones, and I can't seem to find a way to do this. <br><br>I used Word 2003 for Windows to write the first book I did, and I ended up hiring a guy to write a VB macro to do this, but 2008 for Mac doesn't support VB macros, so I can't make use of that.  Is there a way to do what I'm trying to do within the capabilities of the application itself? <br><br>Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.
0
gawarner

If you actually needed VBA there must be more to your requirement than what
you've described. It sounds to me like you need only investigate the use of
Format> Document - Layout - Different Odd and Even and perhaps the use of
Odd/Even Page Section Breaks.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 3/12/10 12:48 PM, in article 59bb5159.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"gawarner@officeformac.com" <gawarner@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I'm writing a reference book, using Word 2008 if it will do what I need it to
> do.  Each chapter will be its own section so that I can have a unique header,
> and I'll suppress the header on the first page of each chapter.  However, I
> want both the header and page number to be to the left on even pages, and to
> the right on odd ones, and I can't seem to find a way to do this.
>
> I used Word 2003 for Windows to write the first book I did, and I ended up
> hiring a guy to write a VB macro to do this, but 2008 for Mac doesn't support
> VB macros, so I can't make use of that.  Is there a way to do what I'm trying
> to do within the capabilities of the application itself?
>
> Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

0
CyberTaz
3/12/2010 10:13:37 PM
Ah, okay.  In my test doc, I set the sections each to Different Odd &amp; Even, but it still left-justifies each one.  Regarding &quot;Odd/Even Page Section Breaks&quot;, can you tell me where I may find those, and how to use them, explained?  The help screens do not seem to cover that.  Thanks.
0
gawarner
3/12/2010 10:51:18 PM
I am not sure that we have fully understood your requirement (at least... I
haven't...)

You are creating a Reference Book:  So you want the name of the current
Chapter in the left header, and the name of the current topic in the right
header?

And you want each Chapter to begin on a Recto (right-hand...) page?

This is easy, and you don't need a macro.  But I do suggest that you read
the following instructions through twice before you do anything.  While it's
easy, it must be done exactly this way, and in this sequence, or it won't
work :-)

First, we get the default section break working for the whole document.

1)  Use Find/Replace to find all section breaks and replace them with
nothing.  We want to delete them all so we know where we are in the
document.

Now we can set up the Default Section Break, which is below the document
content and thus can never be seen, or deleted.

2) Go to Format>Document>Layout and set "Section start" to "Odd Page."

3) Check "Different odd and even" and "Different first page" to ON.

4) Now go to View>Header and Footer.

You will now see a First Page header, a Left Header and a Right Header in
the document (if you do not, you need to create at least three pages, so
that you can see these things...)

5) Leave the First page header blank: you don't need it, the Chapter Title
will do the job for you.

6) Skip to the Even Page header and use Insert>Field>Links and References
"StyleRef".  Click the Options button, go to the Styles tab and choose
"Heading 1" as the style.

While you're in there, drop down to the Footer and insert a Page Number on
the left.

7) Now go to the Odd Page footer and do the same thing, this time choosing
the "Heading 2" style.

While you're in there, drop down to the footer and insert a page number, and
tab it across to the right margin.  Word applies a style of Footer by
default in the footers, and that style has a Centre tab and a Right Tab
automatically set in the correct positions.

Now, every Even Page header in the document will contain the closest Chapter
Title.  Every Odd Page header will contain the closest previous Topic
Heading.

Al we have to do now is to force the Chapter starts onto an Odd Page.  To do
that:

8)  Immediately before each chapter, insert an Odd Page section break (use
Insert>Break...)

There you go!  Job's done, and no macros.

Notes:

It is important to remove the old section breaks first.  If you then get the
Default Section Break (which you can't see) correct, each time you insert a
section break after that, it will be a copy of the Default section break, so
you will only have to set the properties ONCE.  If you do not remove the
other section breaks first, you will have to carry out all 8 steps for every
section break in the document!

This process assumes that you use the built-in style Heading 1 for your
Chapter titles.  If you didn't, change it  now: using other styles makes for
far too much work.

This also assumes that you start each new topic with a Heading 2 style.  If
you didn't, change that too.

The StyleRef field simply replicates the closest previous text of each style
into the headers and footers for you.

The added section breaks will force a blank sheet when you print if needed
to get the chapters starting on recto pages.  The blank sheet is totally
blank, you will not be able to see it unless you print.

Hope this helps

On 13/03/10 9:51 AM, in article 59bb5159.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"gawarner@officeformac.com" <gawarner@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Ah, okay.  In my test doc, I set the sections each to Different Odd & Even,
> but it still left-justifies each one.  Regarding "Odd/Even Page Section
> Breaks", can you tell me where I may find those, and how to use them,
> explained?  The help screens do not seem to cover that.  Thanks.

matters unless you intend to pay!

 --

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.

0
John
3/13/2010 12:50:12 AM
John, I haven't had a chance to work through all this yet -- only been able to do a first read-through -- but I have to say thank you, thank you.  This appears to be right on.  I'll work through it tomorrow and report back.  Again, thanks.
0
gawarner

crystal reports 9.2.2 02-03-04
I have been working on customizing reports. After I upgraded crm to 1.2 I can no longer access my reports. I tried to install the crystal repors enhancement for 1.2. I am getting an error that I am using crystal reports 9.2.0 and I need to upgrade to 9.2.2? I had crystal reports 9.0 professional edition installed on my computer also. I removed that and then tried to install the crm 1.2 crystal reports enhancement and I am getting the same errors. Please help. Thank you It seems that CRM requires a very specific version of crystal reports ie 9.2.2 Microsoft have told me that you ...

Windows mail problem 07-16-10
Tried to log into my optonline account and received the following message: The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.optonline.net', Server: 'mail.optonline.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E Can anyone decipher this for me? What is the issue? You should not be using advanced ports or SSL, see http://optimum.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/optimum.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2397&p_created=1237397986&p_sid=ZbGnw*4k&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZ...

RESOURCE USAGE 03-21-10
I work with a calendar that is setting 9 hours work/day for all the resources. In the resource usage I see that more than 8 hours of work is shown in red, but also sometimes all kinds of hours like 4.5, 5.6, 4.8 hs is red as well, even though is a normal working day. What is going on here???? txs A couple of things: 1) Are you sure the resource calendars are also set to 9 hours per day? If not, they would show up overallocated when assigned to 9 hours of tasks. 2) Project calculates overallocations to the minute. If you have two tasks, both assigned to the same resource...

Windows installer problem 04-08-10
Hi All, After login to windows xp, on screen displayed windows installer and nothing showing on screen .Any reply will be appreciated. Best regards Anji Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2) when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply. Was the computer fully patched at Windows Update when this problem started? What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Has a(another)...

Outlook 2007
I created an email and addressed it to one of my Contacts. When I printed the email, it printed an additional field at the top called "Contacts" with that contact's name. This is not a customized form. Why is this field printing at the bottom of the TO, SUBJECT, and ATTACHMENTS fields in the header as an additional header. Thanks so much! Jean ...

$10,000 a week, as much as $40,000 a month or even up to $500,000 a year!
1) Though multi-level Marketing has been near and dear to many for more than 50 years, 95% of those who trusted it have failed. 2) They failed because most people simply cannot close sales. Without closing they cannot recruit. 3) Without recruiting, duplication cannot happen. Even the 5% who CAN recruit cannot achieve their full potential without duplication. 4) None of the hype, recruiting systems, replicated websites, interruption marketing, sexy products, exotic compensation plans, training kits, books, tapes, seminars, conference calls, or "heavy hitters" have been able to...

Exchange 5.5 #10
I followed the article suggested and identified the last committed log. When I go to the transaction log folder, however, there are no back logs to move. The only logs in the folder are edb.log, edb0264D.log (last known committed log), res1.log and res2.log. The article says not to move the edb.log, res1.log or res2.log, just move any logs older than the last one committed, but there aren't any. Any more suggestions? Thanks! ...

Formula Help 02-02-10
How do I enter a formula to look at a number and based on calculation round up or down to nearest hundreth? For example 421 would round down to 400 while 573 would round up to 600. try =round(a1,-2) where A1 has the number you want to round to the 100's "Jackie Morin" wrote: > How do I enter a formula to look at a number and based on calculation round > up or down to nearest hundreth? For example 421 would round down to 400 while > 573 would round up to 600. You could look up ROUND in Excel help. Try =ROUND(A2,-2) -- David Biddulph Jackie Morin wr...

Headers #4
How can I copy a picture in the header from a buissness from from work? ...

HELP! 12-06-07
Excel won't open and I've both tried re-installing it, and rebooting what should I do? On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 00:42:20 -0500, avarage wrote: > Excel won't open and I've both tried re-installing it, and rebooting what > should I do? You have posted this message to the wrong newsgroup. The access in this groups name refers to Microsoft Access, a database program. Please repost to the correct newsgroup for whatever Office program you are using. I would suggest you include your Windows and Office version number in the message. -- Fred Please respond only to this newsgrou...

excel sorting 03-28-10
I have a text spreadsheet of 5,000 names and addresses. Column B needs to restricted to only 16 characters in that column. How do I send the records to the bottom of the page (or delete them) that have data that exceeds 16 characters in Column B? You could insert a new column. In that column, in row 2 put the formula =len(B2) and copy it down the column. Then sort the table on then new column ascending. Tom ...

SendObject 02-03-08
I have a routine that creates a list of e-mails to be sent out, when the list is completed it then loops through and uses the Docmd.sendObject to send each mail (Access 2000). This used to work very well and I have not had any problem with it until about 3 months ago when it started to send the first mail all ok, out look would ask if it was ok to send and you said yes and it was sent and so on, but now it sends the first mail all ok and then it just loops through the rest with no outlook messages or error messages but dos not send any of the other mails. This used to work very well abo...

permissions 03-29-06
I have a Marketing Professional who needs the ability to convert Leads - what circle / state do I need to fill out in the Security role? To Disqualify a lead -------------------- 1. Read Lead 2. Write Lead To Qualify a lead to an opportunity ---------------------------------- 1. Read Lead 2. Read account 3. Read contact 4. Read opportunity 5. Create opportunity 6. Write Lead 7. AppendTo lead 8. AppendTo account 9. AppendTo contact 10. Append opportunity To Qualify a lead to an account ------------------------------ 1. Read Lead 2. Read account 3. Write Lead 4. AppendTo lead 5. Append Acco...

Macro to delete rows 03-17-10
I'd appreciate some help in creating a macro to delete rows. Here's what I need: 1) Delete rows 1-13 2) Then find all rows that are highlited blue and delete them 3) Then find all rows that include the text "Distr" and delete them Suggestions? Thanks in advance. Tell us how the rows came to be blue... -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "JeffF" <JeffF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:863D165C-D100-42E5-9294-3569F1829DF0@microsoft.com... > I'd appreciate some help in creating a...

ploting one cell from 10 worksheets into one chart
i am trying to figure out a way to plot one cell, lets say c-1 from 10 -30 worksheets, in one workbook; on one chart. Each worksheet is a date and each c-1 value is just a number. any help would help thanks alex n. alex.nazarchuK@unitedwater.com ------------------------------------------------ Message posted from the Excel Tip Forum at http://www.ExcelTip.com/forum/ -- View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelTip.com -- Hundreds of free MS Excel tips, tricks and solutions ------------------------------------------------ You can plot each data point as a separate ser...

Expressions in Sub headers
Hi there, I'm trying to break down a report by division so that every division (a one to many relationship to suspenses) shows, percentage of overdue suspense, etc. Currently, this is my expression to show the percentage overdue of all the divisions (which I put at the top of my report). =Int((Sum(IIf([Justified?],[CountOfsuspense_id],0))/ Sum([CountOfsuspense_id]))*100) What I'd like to do is put this expression based on the "division_name" into my division name header and therefore show the percentage for each division. Is there a way to do that? Thanks! David On M...

Display public variable in Header
I have page breaks when a variable changes. How can I display what that variable is in the header? Thank you in advance God bless you ...

Stats microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (last 7 days) 06-07-10
"Caveat: Quantity is not necessarily a measure of Quality" Newsgroup.................: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general Stats Were Taken..........: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 08:14:28 GMT Stats Begin...............: Mon, 31 May 2010 08:29:11 GMT Stats End.................: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 06:42:42 GMT Days......................: 7 Total No. of Articles.....: 526 Total No. of Characters...: 1263268 Total Volume..............: 1233 Messages Per Day..........: 75.1 Characters Per Day........: 180466.9 Average Daily Volume......: 176 kB Total Posters This Week...:...

Seeking an alternative to blank ("") cell in IF arguments
I usually find it convenient to use "" in formulas such as the following: =IF(B12>0,B12/C4,"") The problem of course is that an error will be returned if the cell left blank with "" is used in subsequent calculations. Is there an alternative to using zero instead of "" that still makes it obvious that the cell is intentionally left unpopulated but that does not result in #VALUE# errors? KG wrote: > I usually find it convenient to use "" in formulas such as the following: > > =IF(B12>0,B12/C4,"") > > The pr...

Automatic display positive or negative
Dear All, pls help me. when I type $ 52.00 on C1, I want C1 display positive $52 or negative ($ 52) , if B1 is positive or negative, I want the entire column C. Exemple : C1 : I type $52, it display for me $52 , because B1 is positive C2 : I type $52, it display for me ($52) , because B2 is negative B C B1 5 $52 B2 (3) ($52) It is possible ? Thank you for your help. This can only be done with VBA and the code below will do it for you. To use the code, open the workbook and go to the sheet you want this to work on and then: Right-click o...

query criteria 12-29-07
I have a criteria test in the [DR].[Received Date] field of a query. The criteria is based on data which is entered into a form. >=(IIf(IsNull([Forms]![CSR dg]![txtEarliestReceivedDate]),[DR].[Received Date],[Forms]![CSR dg]![txtEarliestReceivedDate])) The true side of the IIF allows for all received dates if no data is entered into the form. I would like to instead not do a criteria test at all if there is no date entered into the form. I've tried things like "" or NULL in the criteria, but to no avail. The reason for wanting to do this, is that I have two tables linke...

Windows Update error 80070103 01-28-10
I installed Creative X-Fi Titaniun audio sound card on my Destop Computer. The drivers on cd that came with this sound card for Vista and XP. I am using Windows 7 and having trouble installing the driver manually. When Windows Update trys to download it, but stops and give me error message "80070103" everytime. Why is it give me error message when there is no driver installed on this computer? Obtain the appropriate driver update (if needed) from the device manufacturer's download page, not Windows Update. TJBuss wrote: > I installed Creative X-Fi Titaniun a...

Outlook 03 big problem with Address Books
Hi Just installed Outlook 03 with Business Contact manager. And here's a big problem. When typing in an email address from my it defaults to the new address book - which contains nothing so I have to go and select my old Contacts address book - very very frustrating and time consuming. Questions: 1) Can I import from my old address book into the new one or 2) Can I get Outlook to dafault to my new address book. Many thanks JS ...

Outlook Express #10
I need to move all of my Outlook Express e-mails and addresses to my new laptop. I know that with Outlook 2000 you transfer the .pab and .pst files. Does anyone know what the file extension is for Outlook Express? ...

Manually uninstall GP 10
I am having problems with a GP 10 install on a Vista machine. I tried to do an upgrade from 9 to 10 and it stopped as it was looking for a Service Pack. I have tied to uninstall or reinstall both 9.0 and 10.0 and the setup file will not execute. I have turned off the user account control. I probably have a conflict with something as this a development machine with a myriad of programs on it. It there a way to manually uninstall GP? Jim ...