"Save" preferences getting lost

List members:

    I work on long documents and want to save my work frequently.
    Every time I set the "Save" preference to a brief interval like
five or ten minutes, the preferences seemingly resets itself to a
default of thirty minutes.
    I'm using Word 2008 for the Mac on an Intel running 10.6.2.
    Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

      - Mark Pavlick
0
Mark

Hi Mark:

That indicates that your user ID does not have permission to write to the
preference file that Word is using, or that something is replacing the
preference file.

With the help of your System Administrator, investigate your access to
/User/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office 2008 (the whole folder!)

If you can't write to it, or something is replacing the content at login,
your preferences won't be saved.

Cheers

On 7/01/10 12:32 PM, in article
2caf9195-ff3f-4ff2-8ab8-63998cdef230@e37g2000yqn.googlegroups.com, "Mark
Pavlick" <mvp1@igc.org> wrote:

> List members:
>
>     I work on long documents and want to save my work frequently.
>     Every time I set the "Save" preference to a brief interval like
> five or ten minutes, the preferences seemingly resets itself to a
> default of thirty minutes.
>     I'm using Word 2008 for the Mac on an Intel running 10.6.2.
>     Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
>
>       - Mark Pavlick

matters unless you intend to pay!

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
John
1/7/2010 8:18:04 PM
McMcGhie,

    Many thanks, will do.

     - Mark Pavlick

On Jan 7, 3:18=A0pm, John McGhie <j...@mcghie.name> wrote:
> Hi Mark:
>
> That indicates that your user ID does not have permission to write to the
> preference file that Word is using, or that something is replacing the
> preference file.
>
> With the help of your System Administrator, investigate your access to
> /User/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office 2008 (the whole folder!)
>
> If you can't write to it, or something is replacing the content at login,
> your preferences won't be saved.
>
> Cheers
>
> On 7/01/10 12:32 PM, in article
> 2caf9195-ff3f-4ff2-8ab8-63998cdef...@e37g2000yqn.googlegroups.com, "Mark
>
> Pavlick" <m...@igc.org> wrote:
> > List members:
>
> > =A0 =A0 I work on long documents and want to save my work frequently.
> > =A0 =A0 Every time I set the "Save" preference to a brief interval like
> > five or ten minutes, the preferences seemingly resets itself to a
> > default of thirty minutes.
> > =A0 =A0 I'm using Word 2008 for the Mac on an Intel running 10.6.2.
> > =A0 =A0 Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
>
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 - Mark Pavlick
>
> This email is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
> matters unless you intend to pay!
>
> =A0--
>
> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,
> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
> Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
> +61 4 1209 1410, mailto:j...@mcghie.name

0
Mark

Save As without VBA project
After running some VBA code on an Excel file, I'd like to save the file under a different name, but without saving the code. Is this possible? Alternatively I could copy the worksheet into a new file, but I need to keep all the formatting including column widths & row heights. Thanks, Gordon Rainsford Gordon, Your idea to copy into a new file is a good option. The example below assumes a workbook with three sheets. It will retain data and formatting while leaving behind VBA in modules. '----------------------------------- Sub SaveWithoutMacro() Dim int...

Can't save existing .trc file to table Profiler 2008
Hello, I'm new to SQL Profiler. I've created a .trc file and saved it to disk. I can open the .trc file but I want to now save this existing file to a table. When I go under Save As all the options are grayed out. I have another .trc file and when I open that file and select Save As all the options are available. Don't see any differences between the files. If I create a new trace I can save it to a table. Don't understand why when I open that one trace all the Save As options are grayed out. Any help would be appreciated. Gi Hi Gi, You probably have a la...

Save a Copy/Overwrite changes dialog box
All of a sudden, this dialog box pops up every time I want to save something in Excel 2002. The box says, "The file '<file name>' may have been changed by another user since you last saved it. In that case, what do you want to do? __ Save a Copy __ Overwrite changes even though I'm the only user that's changed anything in the past 3 years. The shared workbook command has not been changed at all, so that can't be the problem. The settings are the same as the ones I have at home for personal spreadsheets that don't have this dialog box. Help! Than...

Save data before printing
Hello all, An acquiantence is programming in Excel 2003 and has a sheet where theuser enters receipt data. When he is done, he clicks a boton to copythe data from the sheet to another in tabular form withinthe same workbook. What he needs to do is to implement a lock so that the user can't print out the receipt until after he has clicked the boton. His button click event code is the following: Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() Application.ScreenUpdating = False 'Copy data to BD2 sheet Sheets("BD2").Unprotect With Sheets("BD2").Range("A1000&qu...

Open an offertwindow after you have saved an appointment?
If you are in an appointment a customer would like to have a rollinglist with different status in it. If you choose a special status and you save the appointment as completed the customer would like the offertwindow to open automatically. Does anyone know if this is possible? You would have to do this in javascript on the onsave event. "Martin" wrote: > If you are in an appointment a customer would like to have a rollinglist with > different status in it. If you choose a special status and you save the > appointment as completed the customer would like the offertwin...

cells not right when save as html
When I save my workbook as an html page the formatting on my 45 degree cells at the top of the page are no longer at a 45 degree angle. Is it possible for this formatting? ...

How to save my email password in MS Outlook 2002??
Hi, guys My laptop was repaired by a technician to clean the virus recently. When i got it back, I couldnt save my email logon password, even i click "Remember Password" as long as MS outlook is closed. Each time i open Outlook, I have to re-enter the password for the Logon Information.... Suggestion,..pls! Ken There have been several recent issues with passwords not being retained with Outlook. Office XP SP1 solves many of these for Outlook 2002, so start there. If not, here are some other solutions: For Outlook 2000 or 2002 on Win 98, NT, or 2000: http://support.microsoft....

Can a 'ref' parameter be saved for later use?
Hello out there, I am passing a string[] to a form's constructor, it gets displayed in a ListBox, the user can change it and in the end I want it back. I have a solution I don't particularly like and thought about using a 'ref' parameter. Inside a function I can use it to 'pass back' data - but in this scenario the 'passing back' will have to happen later. So I thought I could declare a (normal) variable to be a 'ref' - but the compiler doesn't like it. // class variables ref string[] strLstFromCaller; // compiler error Form(ref st...

Open workbook doesn't save data in editable copy
I do not use Excel much myself. Users are opening 2 copies of a comple workbook. 2nd copy is Read only- Ok. 1st copy is supposed to b editable. Occasionally, users will click Save As... on the editable copy, the close it. The next time they go into the workbook, the data changes have not bee saved. Background - Windows 2000, Office 2000 across the board. Files ar saved on the network, users are insisting it's the server havin problems. I doubt it, but it's possible. Problem happens intermitantly, and difficult to replicate -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I guess you...

How do you turn off automatic "save a copy" in Excel
I absolutely abhor the fact that excel saves a copy rather than automatically saves to the original document. Does anyone know how to turn off the "save a copy" feature and to have Excel automatically save to the original document. Cecilia, I think you're referring to Autorecover (Tools - Options - Save tab). To automatically save to the original file, use Autosave. It's in Tools - Addins. There are disadvantages to Autosave. Instead, being in the habit of saving at appropriate times is a good technique to master. Consider versions (do Save as, "Myfile-2....

Save as a picture
I have a group of cells that contain names and numbers. Column A has the name and column be has there score Is there anyway of being able to select those cells only and save them as a picture. I have tried to copy them and paste them into the Paint program and save as a picture but it doesnt copy the exact formatting over. Is there another alternative?? Thanks Andrew Andy Pope has a free add-in that you can use to export images: http://www.andypope.info/vba/gex.htm Andrew wrote: > I have a group of cells that contain names and numbers. > > Column A has the name and...

cant open my saved documents
I cant seem to open my saved documents! I know they are still there cause when i go to save us they all come up in my folder but when i try to open them my folder is empty? please help!! From the file > open dialog. Change the type of files to 'All Files'. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>...

Outlook Web Access "need to lock down save-as, delete,copy,move,pr
Need to lock down save-as, delete, copy, move and print on the Outlook Web Access toolbar. When they open the email attachment don 't allow them to save the attachments to there laptop or home computer. Would this be administrative template in group policies? Where would I find any Microsoft white paper on this subject? You can segment OWA functionality through registry settings. See KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311154/EN-US/ "omontoya" wrote: > Need to lock down save-as, delete, copy, move and print on the Outlook Web > Access toolbar. When they open the e...

how do i save as a dbf file from access 2007
I have a need to be able to edit and save as a dbf file from access 2007. any ideas?? ...

"Save as" dialog hanging on certain network folder
I am trying to troubleshoot a very small business network. There is a folder shared from a Windows XP Pro machine, and when initiating a save as dialog to this location, many office applications will hang when it appears to be loading the contents of the folder. I have tested Excel and Word, versions 2000 and 2003. Navigating to the folder in explorer works just fine. I thought rebooting would help, but the issue appears to effect the machine even after a fresh boot. Some machines on our network behave correctly. Others will hang for a short while but eventually load the conte...

New Word template always prompts to save changes
Word 2003/XP Pro I am trying to create an alternative Normal.dot. Problem is when I try to save a document created from AltNormal, I always receive the prompt: "Do you want to save the changes to AltNormal.dot?". Typing and saving a few of characters is sufficient to cause the prompt. If I accept the prompt, the prompt returns when I next modify the document. All this occurs even if AltNormal has not been modified from Normal.dot. I have tried many different ways to resolve this including basing AltNormal on: (1) a copy of Normal.dot, (2) a clean document from Norm...

auto save path
How do I change a non-existing auto save path in Excel? I missed a backslash when I wrote the path, but it was accepted by Excel. Now I cannot change it. Puk Are you referring to Tools>Options>Save "Autorecovery"? You can enter a path in the dialog box. Note: this is not "Autosave" Autosave saves the file at timed increments you set. This feature was done away with in Excel 2002 and 2003. Autosave for Excel 97 and 2000 does not have a user-selected path. It defaults to your Tools>Options>General "default file location". Gord Dibben Excel MVP...

Office 2000 Excel SP-3: Nasty intermittent bug during save.
The bug occurs in the following circumstances (although not every time). 1. Two files are open, - a 'book4' type temporary file that I couldn't care less about. - a rather large 10 sheet workbook that I've been working on. 2. I try to save the large file - instead - the _temporary file_ is saved _over_ the large file on the disk. - an error message is displayed saying the file has been saved but that it is out of memory and had to close it. - the temporary file is displayed. 3. Generally the large file disappears from the task bar. 4. If the large file doesn't disppea...

Is it possible to save an excel chart as .emf?
I would like to save an excel chart as .emf instead of .jpeg or .gif using the script below. Is this possible? Sub SaveChartAsGIF () Fname = ThisWorkbook.Path & "\" & ActiveChart.Name & ".gif" ActiveChart.Export FileName:=Fname, FilterName:="GIF" End Sub ...

Save credit card info for subscription rebilling
We have customers who sign up for our preship of product periodically, like a subscription. We need to keep a credit card on file for this purpose. Is there a service that we can use for this? We really do not want to store credit cards but we need to be able to bill against a customer's credit card when they sign up for our 'Autoship'. -- JNech Houston New West Technologies has an add on called [url=http://www.newestech.com/POS/RMS/StoreOperations/CardVault.htm]Card Vault[/url]. It stores CC data in encrypted tables. Dan "jenifern" wrote: > We have custome...

Make Table Query
I have a Macro and at the end of the Macro I have a Make Table Query that I would like to automatically save as todays date in the current database. Does anybody have an idea on how I can do this? On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 11:40:24 -0700, dswiders@gmail.com wrote: >I have a Macro and at the end of the Macro I have a Make Table Query >that I would like to automatically save as todays date in the current >database. Does anybody have an idea on how I can do this? A date is just a field value. Saving today's date as a Table is almost certainly VERY bad design. Why do an expensive, awk...

How do I save data with different colored fonts in EXCEL 2003?
I have a rather large spreadsheet with some data set to different colors that mean different thigs to those of us that use it. For some reason, these color changes are not being saved when I save my spreadsheet. When I open my spreadsheet again, the colors are gone. Which version of Excel are you using? Are you sure that you're saving the spreadsheet as Excel (and not as some other file type which Excel can read)? Is the resultant file keeping a suffix of ".xls"? If not, then the data is being saved but not the formatting specifications. Next time you save the ...

Deleting a saved text box from the gallery
Want to delete a created text box. How do I do this? In the gallery, right-click the text box preview and click Organize and Delete on the context menu. In the Building Blocks Organizer dialog box, press the Delete button. Click Yes when asked to confirm the deletion. Click Close to close the dialog box. If/when you are prompted to save changes to the template where you chose to store the TextBox, choose to do so. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Marsha P" <MarshaP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:243DF973-B40C-489E-B6D0-E27C257A0F7...

Save e-mail mesages in Outlook Message format as Default option
When i want to dave an e-mail message, the default 'Save As' option is HTML format. How do I change the default option to save as Microsoft Outlook Message format? As it is now, I have to manually change the option every time I want to save a message. Thanks. See your other post. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "JRSCEI" <JRSCEI@discussions.microsoft...

Additional file with no extension created during File Save As proc
Good morning all! I originally posted this query on the Developer board, as I thought it was a problem with my code, but now I'm not so sure. I have a workbook with a macro that runs a Save As within a loop, to create test data files. I was finding that for every new file I created, and additional file with a filename comprisiong eight alphanumeric characters and no file extenson was created in the same folder. Thinking that the workbook might be corrupted, I created a new workbook (with NO copying/pasting from the original - everything types in from scratch) , created new code m...