"Save" preferences getting lost

List members:

    I work on long documents and want to save my work frequently.
    Every time I set the "Save" preference to a brief interval like
five or ten minutes, the preferences seemingly resets itself to a
default of thirty minutes.
    I'm using Word 2008 for the Mac on an Intel running 10.6.2.
    Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

      - Mark Pavlick
0
Mark

Hi Mark:

That indicates that your user ID does not have permission to write to the
preference file that Word is using, or that something is replacing the
preference file.

With the help of your System Administrator, investigate your access to
/User/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office 2008 (the whole folder!)

If you can't write to it, or something is replacing the content at login,
your preferences won't be saved.

Cheers

On 7/01/10 12:32 PM, in article
2caf9195-ff3f-4ff2-8ab8-63998cdef230@e37g2000yqn.googlegroups.com, "Mark
Pavlick" <mvp1@igc.org> wrote:

> List members:
>
>     I work on long documents and want to save my work frequently.
>     Every time I set the "Save" preference to a brief interval like
> five or ten minutes, the preferences seemingly resets itself to a
> default of thirty minutes.
>     I'm using Word 2008 for the Mac on an Intel running 10.6.2.
>     Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
>
>       - Mark Pavlick

matters unless you intend to pay!

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
John
1/7/2010 8:18:04 PM
McMcGhie,

    Many thanks, will do.

     - Mark Pavlick

On Jan 7, 3:18=A0pm, John McGhie <j...@mcghie.name> wrote:
> Hi Mark:
>
> That indicates that your user ID does not have permission to write to the
> preference file that Word is using, or that something is replacing the
> preference file.
>
> With the help of your System Administrator, investigate your access to
> /User/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office 2008 (the whole folder!)
>
> If you can't write to it, or something is replacing the content at login,
> your preferences won't be saved.
>
> Cheers
>
> On 7/01/10 12:32 PM, in article
> 2caf9195-ff3f-4ff2-8ab8-63998cdef...@e37g2000yqn.googlegroups.com, "Mark
>
> Pavlick" <m...@igc.org> wrote:
> > List members:
>
> > =A0 =A0 I work on long documents and want to save my work frequently.
> > =A0 =A0 Every time I set the "Save" preference to a brief interval like
> > five or ten minutes, the preferences seemingly resets itself to a
> > default of thirty minutes.
> > =A0 =A0 I'm using Word 2008 for the Mac on an Intel running 10.6.2.
> > =A0 =A0 Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
>
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 - Mark Pavlick
>
> This email is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
> matters unless you intend to pay!
>
> =A0--
>
> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,
> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
> Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
> +61 4 1209 1410, mailto:j...@mcghie.name

0
Mark

Can't save sent messages
I'm running Windows Live Mail on Windows 7, new computer for a month now. My 'sent' messages had been saved in the sent folder, as well as my deleted messages in the deleted folder. I wanted to save these both and manually delete what I wanted. This worked up until today, now no sent messages are showing in my folder, no deleted messages in delete folder and additional folders that I set up to store mail have also disappeared. Any ideas to help with this? Using a Live ID to sign on to Windows Live ? Are the Sent Items and Deleted items in the email account for t...

Word 2010: cannot save normal.dotm file?
Using the Word 2010 beta on Win7. I cannot save my Normal.dotm file - at least not usefully. I can open the file, edit it, add macros to it, whatever, and it will save (in the folder directory, the .dotm file will show a change in file size). But if I close Word, or if I open a new document in Word, the Normal.dotm file is reset to the default, losing any changes I've made. I can save and use other .dotm templates; but not the default Normal.dotm template. You've posted to the Mac Word group, so there isn't much help available here on a Beta version for Windows. Tr...

Security Role cannot be saved
Let's say I adjusted some users security role, and I save it. For some reason, I re-open the security role and I found out the security role was back in the original state. What's the reason? I've seen odd things with security,.....and if you read the IG, Microsoft "recommends" that you not change any of the original security roles, but rather make a copy and change that......... -Gary "Joe" <joselok@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%231ZWcvcmDHA.2536@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Let's say I adjusted some users security role, and I save it. For ...

Need help - Save as
In new Outlook 2003, when I highlight several e-mail in my Inbox & select File, Save As, it only saves the Headers of the e-mails & not the headers & the body - in my old Outlook 2000 it saved both - can any one tell me how to correct this? I have a program that read the Saved As file & processes the data in the e-mails & I can't find where to change any option to fix this... though I have read & read & read... thxs much !!! What format are the messages and are you using the old Ol97/2002 pst format or the new Unicode format? We're seeing issues ...

file save as word 2003 xp pro
Scenario I open a document called test.doc and make a change. I use the file save as option and call the file test.doc. It doesn't prompt me to overwrite the existing test.doc shouldn't it?? I belive it did in earlier versions?? No - if you open a document and use SaveAs to save it with the same name you won't get a prompt. If you use SaveAs to save it with a different existing name, you will. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site...

Save a new file with the name that is in cell "C7"
Here is what I want to do: Open up a template. Enter information. Click on save, and when the window shows up asking me to name the file, I want it to automatically use a file name with the value in cell C7. As an example, if cell C7 has "Milton 287-12", I want to automatically name the file"Milton 287-12" when I save for the first time. Is this possible? Thanks, Joe Hi, Lunker, Try pasting the following code into a macro sheet and running it with Alt-F8 Change the path to whatever you require between the quote in line 3 and "A1" to whatever cell you want...

Why can't I save Publisher files since an XP upgrade?
-- 89Q Radio Trial version? Maybe the time has run out. Are you saving to your hard drive? Can you open files? Do you get an error? What version Publisher? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "Coy" <Coy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C4666111-8322-43AA-BD05-A1E24D4D7C23@microsoft.com... > > -- > 89Q Radio Mary: I have used Publisher 2002 for a couple of years now. It was only recently (since an upgrade t...

Cannot Read Saved Document from Works From Other Computer
I am trying to save Microsoft Works documents from my one computer which has a Windows ME operating system onto a disc that I can open on another computer which has a Windows XP operating system. When I try to open the files, I get an error message stating that Works cannot open the file, that it may be in use by another application, the file format may not be supported by any of the installation converters, or the file may be corrupt. I have tried renaming the file but this doesn't work. The file extension is already a .wps one so I don't think there is any conflict with the...

delete saved files
Is there a way of deleting the previously saved Excel files? It is maddening to see all those things that I can no longer open. -- Dawn Tools > Options > GeneralTab > Uncheck the Recently used files box Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "herd" <herd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:089179B0-5516-4934-ACE9-9D664BF5672E@microsoft.com... > Is there a way of deleting the previously saved Excel files? It is maddening > to see all those things that I can no longer open. > -- > Dawn In office 2007 I have headings of Home, Insert, Page Layout, F...

No prompt to save when exiting Excel
A user has noted that occasionally when she exits Excel XP it does not prompt her to save changes. She said this is problem for her and two other users. I talked with her and it has not been the same file - apparently it is totally random. I looked through Microsoft's knowledge base and Article 213513 refers to this issue and suggests that the user go File -> Save before closing. While this is an obvious fix, force of habit may lead the user from doing this on all occasions possibly leading to a loss of data if the problem occurs. She is currently running Office XP, SP2 on ...

Save As default.
Is there a way, when doing a save-as of an attachment, to have Outlook default to a folder other than MyDocuments ? I found a KB article but was wondering if it has been fixed. Thanks Dave, This requires a simple registry change. I don't remember the exact key nor the exact white paper regarding this. I did; however, change the default directory for a client and I found out how to do that with a white paper at www.microsoft.com/technet - Marty "Dave McDuell" <dmcduell@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:071301c3b2d0$1579ee80$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a wa...

save all data on calendars
I want to make sure all the dates and appointments are saved on every yearly calendar so I can go back and refer to information Right click on the calendar and disable the autoarchive option. If you sync with a smartphone, set it to keep appointments forever. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@P...

Excel wont let me take an old workbook & save as to make a new 1
For some reason excel will not let me do a save as on an old workbook to make a copy it just stops responding?....Rik Did you just update windows? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/918165 -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom http://nwexcelsolutions.com "Rik" <Rik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3AB69540-0AE5-46ED-8F8E-B8ACDCDF5372@microsoft.com... > For some reason excel will not let me do a save as on an old workbook to > make > a copy it just stops responding?....Rik ...

Office Mac 2008. Want to reformat computer & save Office, but lost the disk.
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I want to reformat my computer. I currently have Office for Mac 2008 installed. But before I reformat, i want to know if there is a way for me to reinstall Office (once the reformat is completed) without the disks (I lost them in a move). <br> Is there a copy of all the serial numbers and product keys saved somewhere in the Office directories? And is there a place for me to download the program and use my serials? Or is there a way to save a copy of the programs before I start my reformat? On 4/24/10 8:58 A...

how do i save .pub document in html?
I upgraded from Pubs98 to Pubs 2003. In 98 when I would save as HTML, the folder was about 1-2 mb in size. When I save in html in 2003, my folder is 25-30 mb and has duplicate images in .png (?) format. Am I doing something wrong? No you are not. Significant changes took place in version 2002 and also 2003. Visit the web forum - microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign - to catch up and visit the FAQ page - http://www.publishermvps.com/Default.aspx?tabid=30 David Bartosik - [MSFT MVP] www.publishermvps.com www.davidbartosik.com "LarryJon" <LarryJon@discussions.microsoft.com&g...

Problem with Rich Text Saves
I am using a rich text control in Access 2000, and have run across this problem: a) enter text in the control; b) select Save Record from the Records menu (or click a button to run docmd.accmdsaverecord in code); c) click back in the control and type a character; d) the message "The data has been changed" appears when a character is typed, and that character is removed; e) after the message and the removal of the new character, the control works fine. I tried using Stephen Lebans' rich text control, and the phenomenon is the same, with the following differences: a) the new ...

Can't open or save HTML attachments
Hi I have a user that when she receives an email with a generated HTML file, she can't open or save the file. She can open or save any other type of file attachment. She can open up other HTML files on her computer, and other HTML files that are emailed to her, just not this generated HTML file. This just started happening in the last couple of weeks. Before that, she was able to open and save those same generated HTML files. If the generated HTML file is sent to me, I can open or save it, no problems. The user's computer is Windows XP SP3, Office 2007, on a domain...

How to save a PC Excel file into MAC (it says file is read only)?
I am having troubles with an Excel workbook I created on my PC (using Excel 2000). Essentially I can't save it in a Machintosh computer. Thanks for your help ...

Are saved passwords secure?
Hello, Not sure if this is more of a Windows, Exchange or Outlook question. A group (groupA) is considering using another group's (groupB) exchange server. They currently do not want any trusts between the groups. GroupA is comprised of the highest level executives of the organization. They dislike entering passwords for outlook after they log onto their system. Provided they log out of their Windows XP profile when they are not on their computer, what is the security risk of having the password in outlook. Is it easy to crack or remove using a different profile? Thanks ...

save as
I just installed Office XP on my computer. I created an Excel file which I wanted to share with a colleague who has Office 97 on his computer. I saved the file as "Microsoft Excel 97-2002 & 5.0/95 Workbook (*.xls)" My colleague successfully opens the file, but when he wants to save it on his computer, he gets a message that says "This file was created using a later version of Microsoft Excel. If you save this file using Microsoft Excel 97, information created with features in the later version may be lost.... Yes. No." Is there any way to get around having ...

lost save file
I had a hard drive crash....was able to retrive everything from outlook express except my "SAVE FOLDERS"....I'm sure they are there...any ideas where I should look or what I need to do???? I really need the folders. Thanks Search for .eml files . . . . . "Tink" <Tink@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:468CD94A-33D3-45C1-8F1E-1DD5ADC164F2@microsoft.com... > I had a hard drive crash....was able to retrive everything from outlook > express except my "SAVE FOLDERS"....I'm sure they are there...any ideas > where...

Where to save macros
I have two questions really. First, I was told there was a specific place to save a macro if I wanted it to be avalable whenever I opened excel. Where would that be? Also, how do I create a macro that is always available when I open excel instead of spreadsheet specific. Thanks for your help. If you do not already have a personal.xls >record a macro to personal macro workbook. When you close excel after that creation you will be asked if you want to save personal.xls >say yes. Now it will be available to you. However this is a hidden workbook. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dona...

Auto Save a worksheet
I need to set up my system to automatically save a sheet I am working on every 10 or so minutes. Recently spent an entire day on a sheet that was extremely large only to close the file and forgot to properly save it. Any help will be appreciated Russ Ragsdell Hi a repost from Dave Peterson: ------ Short descriptions: Autosave (an addin in xl versions before xl2002), the workbook gets saved at user selectable intervals (just like a manual save). (If you're running xl2002+, then if you can find a copy of autosave, it'll work with that version, too.) xl2002+ has a feature call...

Excel 2002 Crashes When Enabled Macros & on Save Event
we have excel worksheet with macros, we validate data using vba macros regular expressions and update cell colors based on validaty of the data. in some of our machines on certain user profiles whenever we save it excel is crashing. we changed font color & background, it seemed to work little, but entering into debug mode at message box level. Not sure what causing this problem, same spreadsheet works in other machine with the same version? Please let me know what areas I can look into to fix this problem. ...

No Save As?
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I do not see a save as in my menu. there is a save as web page. Where is the save as? thanks! Right above Save As Web Page unless you have mangled your menu :-) Use Tools>Customise>Toolbars and Menus to RESET your File menu. Cheers On 5/05/10 3:42 AM, in article 59bb7eb5.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "kevs14@officeformac.com" <kevs14@officeformac.com> wrote: > Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel > I do not see a save as in my m...