Why is office 2008 more than 10 times slower than office 2004?

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

excel 2008 is horrid! Complete disaster. How can you work 4 years on a product and release something slower than its predecessor. and not by % but by times!!! constant crashes. copy and paste of an EMPTY column takes 10-39 sec with the beach ball spinning!? <br>
why did you think it was a good idea to change the ; for , in the formulas??? <br>
everything crashes all th etime for no reason at all. I have 2004 on my machine too and it blazes past 2008! <br>
you have 2 years to fix something you should not have released in the first place but of course nothing have been done. <br><br>Are you crippling the Mac office on purpose or are you just completely inadequate for the task at hand? Get your act together and get to the bottom of these issues. as is Excel cannot be used for anything. <br><br>I don't even want to start a rant about the UI. nothing is at is place. dumb wizards try and of course fail to guess what i want to do, charts take eons to plot...
0
Trin

Trin@officeformac.com wrote:
> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel
> excel 2008 is horrid! Complete disaster. How can you work 4 years on a
> product and release something slower than its predecessor. and not by %
> but by times!!! constant crashes. copy and paste of an EMPTY column
> takes 10-39 sec with the beach ball spinning!?
> why did you think it was a good idea to change the ; for , in the
> formulas???
> everything crashes all th etime for no reason at all. I have 2004 on my
> machine too and it blazes past 2008!
> you have 2 years to fix something you should not have released in the
> first place but of course nothing have been done.
>
> Are you crippling the Mac office on purpose or are you just completely
> inadequate for the task at hand? Get your act together and get to the
> bottom of these issues. as is Excel cannot be used for anything.
>
> I don't even want to start a rant about the UI. nothing is at is place.
> dumb wizards try and of course fail to guess what i want to do, charts
> take eons to plot...

Be sure to install the Office updates (Help > Check for updates). Speed
issues have been addressed in the updates - particularly for charts.

-Jim

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP
Co-author of Office 2008 for Mac All-in-One For Dummies
http://tinyurl.com/Office-2008-for-Dummies
0
Jim
2/23/2010 12:52:53 AM
restarted <br>
installed the latest updates <br>
restarted <br>
repaired permisions <br>
restarted <br>
turned of WYSISG fonts <br>
0
Trin
2/23/2010 5:51:53 AM
XinXin Liu  <br>
Macintosh Business Unit, Microsoft  <br><br>> excel 2008 is horrid! Complete disaster. How can you work 4 years on a product and release something slower than its predecessor. and not by % but by times!!! constant crashes. copy and paste of an EMPTY column takes 10-39 sec with the beach ball spinning!? <br>
> why did you think it was a good idea to change the ; for , in the formulas??? <br>
> everything crashes all th etime for no reason at all. I have 2004 on my machine too and it blazes past 2008! <br>
> you have 2 years to fix something you should not have released in the first place but of course nothing have been done. <br>
> Are you crippling the Mac office on purpose or are you just completely inadequate for the task at hand? Get your act together and get to the bottom of these issues. as is Excel cannot be used for anything. <br>
> I don't even want to start a rant about the UI. nothing is at is place. dumb wizards try and of course fail to guess what i want to do, charts take eons to plot...
0
XinXin
2/23/2010 7:46:36 AM
thank for trying to help but the Excel is simply broken <br>
my default view is Normal, it not that bug (and really how hard is it to fix that bug over 2 years?!.  <br>
> Did you try the trouble shooting steps in the following 2 KBs? Copying/pasting an empty column finishes instantly on my 2GB machine. So I think your performance slowness is local to you system. Can you try the safe-mode when launching XL or logining to your account? <br>
> Thanks,  <br>
> XinXin Liu  <br>
> Macintosh Business Unit, Microsoft  <br>
> > excel 2008 is horrid! Complete disaster. How can you work 4 years on a product and release something slower than its predecessor. and not by % but by times!!! constant crashes. copy and paste of an EMPTY column takes 10-39 sec with the beach ball spinning!? <br>
> > why did you think it was a good idea to change the ; for , in the formulas??? <br>
> > everything crashes all th etime for no reason at all. I have 2004 on my machine too and it blazes past 2008! <br>
> > you have 2 years to fix something you should not have released in the first place but of course nothing have been done. <br>
> > Are you crippling the Mac office on purpose or are you just completely inadequate for the task at hand? Get your act together and get to the bottom of these issues. as is Excel cannot be used for anything. <br>
> > I don't even want to start a rant about the UI. nothing is at is place. dumb wizards try and of course fail to guess what i want to do, charts take eons to plot...
0
Trin

Microsoft Office Training FREE CDs
FREE COMPUTER TRAINING CDs Computer Training CDs Free -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Computer Training CDs FreeWin FREE training cds worth $99.95 US. http://www.discoveryvip.com/ Direct Contest Link http://www.discoveryvip.com/trainingcd/index.php Learn Windows XP training and Office XP Training includes Word 2002 : Word 2002 Advanced : Excel 2002 : Excel 2002 Advanced : Outlook 2002 :PowerPoint 2002 -- sral ------------------------------------------------------------------------ sral's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...

Time Question #2
Column D: 11:01 PM Column E: 11:10 PM Using this formula =IF(C116="","",IF(D116="",0,D116-C116)) I get in column C: 0:09 (Elapsed minutes, which is what I want.) All well and good until this happens D: 11:01 pm E: 12:03 am Not I get gobbledeegook. Paul <Msr33@TPx12.com> wrote in news:7l7u64lph4kf49brn08p0eec8nug221b2d@ 4ax.com: > Column D: 11:01 PM > Column E: 11:10 PM > > Using this formula =IF(C116="","",IF(D116="",0,D116-C116)) I get in > column C: 0:09 (Elapsed minutes, which is what I w...

Time synch problems sbs2003
Hi, My server is always about 12 minutes behind. Where does it get its time from, the bios? How (exactly) can I synch with an outside source for perfect accuracy? Thx, D Hi Dana: Try this: To sync the server to an Atomic clock on the internet: w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:time.nist.gov,0x8 /syncfromflags:MANUAL net stop w32time net start w32time w32tm /resync /nowait and make sure the Time service has been started on the server. If you run these commands and you see that time service is restarted everything should be ok on the server. Larry -Pleas...

adding items to the action pane in GP 10
We need to offer the capability to add additional windows to the "Go To" button in the Action Panes, beyond the (very) limited options currently available. For example, in the Accounts view of the Financial Center, there is no way to Add to the "Go To" a link to the "Actual vs. Budget Inquiry Window". Lacking this feature requires the user to either return to the Financial Center page, or to use the drop -down menus (Inquiry >> Financial >> Actual vs Budget). Either approach requires the user to re-enter the account number, essentially starti...

Run Time Error 2501 "The report action was cancel"
hi I have a access database with some reports. All reports are working fine except one. When I click Priview or Print window I get the error "Report Action was canceled" and the error number is 2501. I try to ignore the error but report does not open. Any help in this regard. Here is my code. Private Sub Command15_Click() On Error GoTo Err_Command15_Click Dim stDocName As String stDocName = "Cash Voucher" DoCmd.OpenReport stDocName, acPreview ComeHere: Err_Command15_Click: If Err.Number = 2501 Then Resume ComeHere End If Any help in this regard ?? Thnx i...

error 1935 HRESULT 0x80070424,Office Standard 2007,vista 64-bit
Hy. I tried to install Office Standard 2007 on my comp (Windows Vista 64-bit) and failed. I received an error 1935 {97F81AF1-0E47-DC99-A01F-C8B33B9A1E18E} HRESULT 0x80070424. Help. Thanks. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926804 Or http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946691 and http://kbalertz.com/926804/Error-message-install-Office-error-occurred-during-installation-assembly.aspx -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "misha77" <misha77@discussions.microsoft.com> ...

Input from remote 10-key and laptop numbers very slow
The last few days I've experience a delay when inputting numbers into Excel 2000 worksheets. When I type in the numbers, they slowly enter themselves, one at a time pausing between each number. This is occurring both with the remote 10-key for the laptop and the number keys on the laptop. This is occuring in all files, no matter how big or small. I wouldn't say I have any overly complicated workbooks, mostly basic functions. I have had much bigger and more complicated before without a problem. When using the 10-key or the number keys anywhere else, Word, internet, e...

Same message received many times
Outlook 2002 downloads the same message hundreds of times. Outlook is set to leave a copy of message on server, and delete mail after 4 days, and delete when deleted from deleted items. Any idea what can cause this? Thanks. What sort of mail account(s) do you have? Is it only one particular message that gets downloaded repeatedly, or do you get all messages over and over? -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights "jerry" <jmascari@instantlink.com> wrote in message news:01f901c35d02$baa1...

Office:mac 2004 and Tiger (OS X 10.4)
X-posted to: microsoft.public.mac.office and microsoft.public.mac.office.word. Followup-to: microsoft.public.mac.office.word Hello. Some years ago - although after the release of Tiger, OS X v10.4 in April 2005 - I read in one of the microsoft.public.mac newsgroups a posting from an MVP who was still using Office:mac 2004 with Panther, in this case OS X v10.3.9, and that this was because Office:mac 2004 was developed on Jaguar, OS X v10.2 and only works 100 pct with OS X up to v10.3.9. I have been running Office:mac 2004 on a Powerbook FW800 with Panther, OS X v10.3.9 and now want to...

Newbie money 2004 questions.
Hello, I just purchased Money 2004 Premium and I have a few newbie financing / accounting questions. A little bit about me: This year I brought my very first house and I thought it would be a swell idea to get a handle on my spending habits and get ready for this new tax and deductible stuff I will have to deal with. For previous years I just did the standard deduction. I also have done all my own taxes using paper now I use TaxCut for the past two years. I am 27 never bothered to balance a check in my life (I know I know I am bad bad person, yet I have over draft protection which I used...

Interesting challenge to highlight instances of >10 consecutive days scheduled
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0034_01C3E99D.D9DCF660 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable In column A (A12:A377) I have this year's dates by day. In a cell in = another column, let's say cell D1, I want to put in a calculation that = will present the word "OVER-SCHEDULED" when there is ever a time when = someone has been scheduled in to work more that 10 consecutive days in a = row. The calculation must look for the following schedule codes to = determine a work shift: D,E,N...

Windows Explorer & Office 2007
I recently installed Office 2007 and it changed Windows Explorer / My Documents to be very simple (and frustrating!) as when I open it I have no Toolbar/Options at the top. So if I want to change what I see (thumbnails, details, etc.), search for something, etc. I have nothing. I have tried checking different ways where to turn the toolbar back on and have had no luck. Anything I need to re-install to go back to the "simple" Windows Explorer for reviewing/opening files on local drive? Or how do I change setting in current Windows Explorer to have see toolbar again? ...

gp 10 sp2
we are using gp 10 ,we have 3 companies at gp ,2 of them have analytical accounting activated,the third company doesnt have aa activated,installed service pack,while running utilities,it worked ok for 2 companies containing aa,but the third company gave an error cant create an index on aag000904 because this table doesnt exist in databse,and I cant log in to this company as it gives an error that I have to open utilities to finish setup for that company There is a possibility that you are running the Utilities from a machine which contains AA dictionary and it is also upgraded to SP2...

Expanding the time frame of financial information
I forgot to add to my previous posted note that I selected 30 days when I requested the first download from my bank. The initial download was successful, but I see no way to revise or expand this time frame in later downloads. When I go to to Online Service Manager, it just uses the initial time frame. Regards, Duane In microsoft.public.money, Duane Every wrote: >I forgot to add to my previous posted note that I <snip> It would be better to add your addendums to your previous postings to keep your story together. ...

Slow response time
In December 2003 I performed a Windows Security Update (Security Update for Windows XP (KB810217)). Ever since, Outlook responds very slowly when I browse between emails, move emails to different folders, create a new message. Any suggestions? Turn off Instant Messaging under Tools->Options->Other. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Nicole asked: | In December 2003 I pe...

Convert QuickBooks time format to excel to calculate
When I export a Quickbooks "Time by Job Summary" report to Excel, the time is converted in a time and date format. If I want to put a dollar amount to that time, it needs to be converted into a number format. I can easily convert the time for anything less than 24 hours using =(D18-INT(D18))*24. How can I easily do that for any time greater than 24 hours? Give some examples of the type of data you want to convert. Are you trying to get the date into one column and the time (in Excel format) in another column, or are you saying that a time of say 5.5 days is showing up a...

Office 2004 Read Write problem
I've read the archives ad nauseam and still can not solve this problem. I am very interested in the MS Office for Mac and downloaded the trial version before I paid for it to see if it is what I want. After the download, I moved the Office icon to Applications. When I open anything thereafter (Word, Excel, etc), I am greeted with "Microsoft Office 2004 Test Drive must be run by an administrator and on a volume with read/write permission. Make sure that you have administrator priveleges and the test drive is installed on a read/write volume". I am the only user on this compu...

SBS 2008 and WSUS 3.0 question
Hi, In my SBS console under Updates I can see all the Updates that are waiting to be deployed (or not). Underneath that I can see Updates In Progress where there are around 25 updates with a yellow exclamation mark on which are reporting In Progress. They have been like this for over a week. When i look at the deployment report for these items I can see a pattern. On one item for example, the update has "installed" on the machines in the office, "Not Applicable" on the servers and "not installed" on some of the laptops which aren't connected ...

Office doesn't want to update even after reinstalling
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I downloaded the 12.2.1 update and tried to install it, but I got the version not found error message. After looking around on the internet for a solution, I decided to reinstall Office by using the Remove Office tool and then installing from the DVD. The DVD I have already has the SP1 update, so I downloaded the 12.2.0 update, but that gave me the same error when I tried to update it, so now I'm stuck at 12.1.0 instead of at 12.2.0. Even after I tried to uninstall again and remove all the preferences and every oth...

Office 2003 clip art
I just loaded this on my computer and the clip art is minimal-eg I put in tree and only one came up. Is this normal for 2003?how do I add clip art from a previous publisher program to have a larger variety? I've tried copying to a folder which is searched through but they still didn't show up-Thanx for any help After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from weas <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>... > I just loaded this on my computer and the clip art is > minimal-eg I put in tree and only one came up. Is this > normal for 2003?how d...

Excel 2004 security upgrade effect on macros

Time / Date on X axis
I'm trying to plot a series (i.e. groundwater elevation) on the Y axis against the time and date on the X axis. The time and date are in separate columns. I can't get the X axis labels to appear correctly. The entire X axis label appears as a black box. The data series plots correctly. I can not seem to adjust the data label interval as with a single X data series plot. Doug - Is your X axis time + date, or time on a given date; I mean, does it go from midnight to midnight and you have multiple series corresponding to each day, or does it start at X o'clock on one day...

Formula question
I am using the basic excel formula to calculate the difference between 2 dates using =(b2-b1)*1440 to get the number of minutes Is there a way to have it calculate only weekdays? Without holidays? (holidays might be a stretch....) and from 9am - 5pm?? Thanks! Steve Try the NETWORKDAYS function. You must have the Analysis Toolpak turned on. To turn it on, go to Tools--Add-ins, and check the box (not the VBA one). ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com "Steve Grosz" <boise_bound@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:evaNTm9gFHA.572@TK2M...

can a hyperlink open to a specific time in a video file?
I hope someone can help me out. The only problem is my hotmail account gets so much junk mail I can't recieve messages on it so and an e-mail to ryan.schaefer@enbridge.com would be much appreciated. thanks Hi, I don't think so. Can you edit the video to the start at the place you need to begin?? sorry i'm not more help to you.. jeff >-----Original Message----- >I hope someone can help me out. The only problem is my hotmail account gets >so much junk mail I can't recieve messages on it so and an e-mail to >ryan.schaefer@enbridge.com would be much apprec...

help 04-20-10
since yesterday when ever i try and open an icon on my desk top this message comes up windows cannot access the specified file, pathway you may not have permission to access it? what does this mean and how do i fix it???? Also about a week ago when i was on the internet these system messages kept coming up saying my computer was in trouble and peple were trying to access my personal information and i needed to upgrage my spyware. i couldnt go into any programes except the windows security site and then i had to buy the 6 month protection to access anything on my computer. now ...