Sum function

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

I am trying to put together a spreadsheet for a business plan and am having problems with the autsum and autofill functions. Firstly, even though I do a simple autosum, if I change a value in a cell, the sum does not change. Secondly, if I try to autofill across columns, the values of those columns simply mirror the value of the first. In other words it copies it. I am at a loss how to get round it as I have been working w Excel for years and have never had this problem. I have experimented with a new worksheet with v simple values and the problem remains. Any ideas?????
0
Tomellexx

Go to Excel> Preferences> Calculation, set the option to 'Automatically'.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 3/5/10 6:17 AM, in article 59bb3f7c.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Tomellexx@officeformac.com" <Tomellexx@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I am
> trying to put together a spreadsheet for a business plan and am having
> problems with the autsum and autofill functions. Firstly, even though I do a
> simple autosum, if I change a value in a cell, the sum does not change.
> Secondly, if I try to autofill across columns, the values of those columns
> simply mirror the value of the first. In other words it copies it. I am at a
> loss how to get round it as I have been working w Excel for years and have
> never had this problem. I have experimented with a new worksheet with v simple
> values and the problem remains. Any ideas?????

0
CyberTaz
3/5/2010 11:33:14 AM
> Go to Excel> Preferences> Calculation, set the option to 'Automatically'. <br>
> HTH |:>)  <br>
> Bob Jones  <br>
> [MVP] Office:Mac <br>
> On 3/5/10 6:17 AM, in article 59bb3f7c.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, <br>
> &quot;Tomellexx@officeformac.com&quot;  wrote: <br>
> > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I am <br>
> > trying to put together a spreadsheet for a business plan and am having <br>
> > problems with the autsum and autofill functions. Firstly, even though I do a <br>
> > simple autosum, if I change a value in a cell, the sum does not change. <br>
> > Secondly, if I try to autofill across columns, the values of those columns <br>
> > simply mirror the value of the first. In other words it copies it. I am at a <br>
> > loss how to get round it as I have been working w Excel for years and have <br>
> > never had this problem. I have experimented with a new worksheet with v simple <br>
> > values and the problem remains. Any ideas????? <br>
> Genius, merci!
0
Tomellexx

Time functions #2
Hi, I have to do some time calculations and I have a formula that outputs in minutes and I have to subtract a standard time to this number of minutes. For example, I have 8:00 AM in one cell and 20.68 minutes on an other cell. The output that I am expecting is 7:39 AM. Does anybody know how to bring an output like that by subtracting the minutes? Please help. Thanks With 8:00 AM in A1 and 20.68 in B1, use this formula =A1-B1/(24*60) Why does it work? Because Excel stores time as a fraction of a day. We convert minutes to days by dividing by 24*60 (24 hr/day and 60 min/hr) You could just u...

Sums and percentages in reports
I have the following field in report's detail area: =Count([Cause]=1) (where 1 refers to a row of a table's dropdown) at the report footer I have the following sum for that column: =Sum(Abs([Cause]=1)) with the Runnin Sum - Over All. The calculation comes out correc so I'm assuming the formulas are correct. However, when I try to get a Percentage by deviding the field formula with the footer formula I don't get the correct answer. Can someone help me with this formula? You have told us what you attempted but it isn't clear what you want to accomplish. Your expres...

Adding functionality to MS Outlook Express
Hi, I am looking for help to integrate anti-spam open source programs with MS Outlook Express :- - SpamPal - http://www.spampal.org/ - Spamato - http://www.spamato.net/ The problem is to provide a library that will facilitate this. I have read the MSDN Messaging and Collaboration documentation which gives the ability to get notifications of new messages and to access message folders :- http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms709546.aspx The next need is to add a toolbar (with buttons for SPAM/NOSPAM) and to detect what messages are selected in the message window. The MSOE...

Inserted rows, now need Counta function
Hi I've got a data dump. I've figured out how to insert a blank row after a change in name in column A and insert "Total" - so... bill.... bill.... bill Total - bob.... bob.... bob.... bob Total - What I need in column C next to total is to insert the COUNTA function for each person. Any ideas? cheers You say your code inserts a blank row after a change in name and inserts "Total", but your example doesn't show this. Can you post the code you are using to do your "insert"? It will probably be easier to handle the ...

If Function Possibilities
Is there a way to set up in a cell A1, something like... If the formula used in cell B1 is "here I would type the actual formula in," then display the words "works," else display "mistake" ? -- rheller ------------------------------------------------------------------------ rheller's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24081 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=377045 That's a pretty cryptic post. Do you mean: In A1: =IF(B1=n,"Works","Mistake") where 'n...

Writing Access functions
I am an old FoxPro programmer (but have been out of programming for many years) and I have been through the Access basics that I have been able to find on line. So I can create tables, forms enter data the basics. I am learning VBA no problem there. Now I want to write some functions. I would like to write one function that is passed an ID and returns the last name of the person having that ID. I would like to write this function in two ways: 1. Connect to a table in my DB find the ID and return the name 2. Have the function perform a query that returns a record set from which t...

reading file name from folder function
I am using Access 97. Just wonder if there is a fuction which can read all the file name from a folder and put it to a column in a table. Please let me know. Thanks. Hi. >I am using Access 97. Just wonder if there is a fuction which can read all >the file name from a folder and put it to a column in a table. Please see the getFileInfo( ) function in the tip, "How to compare the contents of two directories," on the following Web page for an example: http://www.access.qbuilt.com/html/vba1.html HTH. Gunny See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs. See http...

Function Keys in Excel
Can someone please tell me what the F2 key does in Excel 2000? I have a column of data which has been copied from Access 2000 into an Excel 2000 sheet. It is numeric data and when I use the "Countif" function on this data, it doesn't calculate. However, if I press the "F2" function key in any of the cells, something happens to the data so that the "countif" function recoginises it. Can anyone explain what is happening here? Thank you. -- LPS F2 allows you to edit directly in the cell, do you have calculations set to automatic under tools>calcul...

faq: type of CArray as function parameter create errors
Hi, class CMyPoint { public: long x; long y; CArray<int,int&> m_intSegmentNo; CMyPoint(); virtual ~CMyPoint(); CMyPoint(const long &xx, const long &yy); CMyPoint(const CMyPoint &cmpt); CMyPoint(const CPoint &cpt); CMyPoint& operator = (const CMyPoint &assmypt); CMyPoint& operator = (const CPoint &asspt); bool operator == (const CMyPoint &rmypt);//const CMyPoint &lmypt, bool operator != (const CMyPoint &rmypt);//const CMyPoint &lmypt, }; .... class CSegment { public: CList<CMyPoint,CMyPoint&> m_PointList; CSeg...

Function for convertion of leters doesn't work.
I'm using function LOWER to convert string i my table on small size but Access gives me a message that the function is not defined.Please, do you know another function? MS Access does not have a LOWER function. Try LCase() instead. -- Cheryl Fischer Law/Sys Associates Houston, TX "Stenli" <svet2000@seznam.cz> wrote in message news:10b201c3626e$b613a050$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I'm using function LOWER to convert string i my table on > small size but Access gives me a message that the function > is not defined.Please, do you know another function? ...

Report Writer Functions #2
Where can I find instructions and examples on the various report writer functions? I've installed the SDK but I don't see anything there. The Report Writer On-line manual (Help - Printable Manuals - Reporting - Report Writer) has a fairly good description of the functions in Chapter 6. Do you look there or is there a specific function that you did not find there for which you are searching? "Elaine" wrote: > Where can I find instructions and examples on the various report writer > functions? I've installed the SDK but I don't see anything there. Hi El...

Public Function not running
Hey, I have a public function that I call from a cell. The function is: Public Function QuitTime(strQuitTime As String) As Date Dim strHour, strMin As String Dim intHour, intMin As Integer Dim dtTime As Date strHour = Left(strQuitTime, 2) strMin = Right(strQuitTime, 2) dtTime = strHour & ":" & strMin dtTime = dtTime + Range("MainSheet!B2") ' this cell contains the value today() QuitTime = dtTime End Function Anyway, I run a vlookup on this array from another sheet and when ever i run that vlookup, it makes all the cells in th...

Question on "Value" function
In trying to use Excel to help solve a mathematical puzzle, I would like to calculate the result of applying the mathematical operator in one cell to the numbers in two other cells. Example: A1 contains 2, B1 contains +, C1 contains 3. In D1, create a formula that will give the result of 2 + 3, i.e. 5. I have tried (among many other attempts) =VALUE(CONCATENATE(A1, B1, C1)), but it gives me a #VALUE! error. What am I missing? Hi this is not possible without using VBA. try the following UDF: Public Function my_calculate(op1 As Range, operand As Range, op2 As Range) my_calculate = Ap...

sum items in a table based on description
I am interested in summing items is a table based on their description. Is there a formula that will add items together from column based on the contents in another cell reference in the same row? I know a pivot table will do this with some restrictions in the table design. You can use sumif if there is onbly one condition Assume you want to sum values in column C where column B is "x" =SUMIF(B2:B500,"x",C2:C500) Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Hrider" <hrider@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ejggYE$MFHA.3328@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... >I am interested ...

Missing engineering functions
In an earlier version of Excel, I had "engineering functions" like =dec2hex and =hex2dec. Not, in Excel 2003, I see them in the "help files' but not in my list of available formulas. How do I get them to work in Excel 2003? Thanks in advance, Geoff Waters Glendale, CA Geoff, I don't have Excel 2003, but you should be able to go to Tools | Add-ins and check mark "Analysis Took Pak" in the list that appears. Regards, Jim Cone San Francisco, CA "Geoff" <grw888@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:zwfIc.299$Qu5.238@newsread2.news.pas.earthli...

Read Receipt Function in outlook
The read receipt option is no longer working in Outlook Small Business Edition for XP 2002. I have not made any recent changes to my outlook setup. Does anyone know how I can trouble shoot this? ...

Indirect and Address Functions to Determine Schedule #3
I am struggling with writing an Excel formula that I would greatl appreciate some help on. In theory this sounds quite simple. I have a table which shows th progression it takes, in months, to move from one 'level' to the next. Another larger table shows how a number of 'starting' individuals woul progress through their levels based on the progression table mentione earlier. e.g. [FONT=courier new]Progression Table[/FONT] ----------------------- Months Level One 1 Level Two 2 Level Three 3 etc. Duration Table # of People Jan Feb M...

Multiple "SUM IF" functions in one formula??
I know it can be done, Excel can do anything but I'm not sure if I can even explain it. For example, I want column D2 to display a qty IF a customer number equals a specific value AND a part number equals a specific value. Basically Column A is a list of part numbers, and Row 1 is a list of customers. I need to pull how many parts each customer has ordered. Hi see: http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.SUMPRODUCT.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Dax" <dax.tipton@smc.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:593e3ca7.0408301337.7b8f6a35@posting.google.com... > I ...

apply function to multiple cells
Hi, So I want to write a function which divides every value in column A b the corresponding value in column B and I don't feel like monkey typin the formula in every cell. How can I apply this formula to all cells? I want column C to look like this. Do I need to write a loop o smthing? A1/B1 A2/B2 A3/B3 Thank -- MrXX ----------------------------------------------------------------------- MrXXX's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3124 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=50916 In cell C1 enter the formula: =A1/...

Outlook today function
When I click on the customize outlook today button nothing happens. What should I do. OL2000: You Cannot Customize Outlook Today After You Install Critical Update 813489 for Internet Explorer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;820575 You can edit the registry to make changes to Outlook Today. http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/oltoday.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://ww...

Auto delete stopped functioning in Outlook 2000
Hi, I have a single install on a user PC which although the option to auto empty the waste bin is checked it is not deleting or even asking whether she is sure she wants to delete. Advice appreciated, Sam ...

Summing multi-level bill of material
All, I have a multi-level bill of material and I want to create a function that will sum it properly without having to sum up each level manually. Here is an example: Level Item Quantity Cost 1 Chair 1 $39 2 Seat 1 $15 3 Cushion 1 $10 3 Base 1 $5 2 Leg 4 $1 2 Back 1 $20 3 Leather 1 $12 3 Wood 1 $8 In my example, I have a chair. The chair is composed of a seat ($15), four legs ($1 each), and a back...

Sum of all formulas in one column?
Is there some automatic way to make Excel total all of the cells containing formulas in a column? I know about the Subtotals feature, and being a new user, I can't quite figure out how to work it. I got to thinking if there is some easy formula that SUMs the results of all formulas in the same column, that would do exactly what I want it to do. Right now, all I'm doing to create a grand total is creating a formula manually to give me my grand total, i.e. =SUM(C5,C11,C18). However, if I'm going to add rows with subtotals in between each of my categories, I'll have to manu...

=CELL("filename") function related question
Is there a function in Excel that only picks up the sheet name in a workbook? I realised that =CELL("filename") function provides the full path, workbook & the worksheet information. Thanks in advance for any help & suggestions. Take a look here: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/formulae/cell_function.html In article <1105122023.529944.145500@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, "wfcpyc" <wfcpyc@yahoo.com.au> wrote: > Is there a function in Excel that only picks up the sheet name in a > workbook? I realised that =CELL("filename") fun...

RichEditControl Getline function
I'm trying to read the data from Rich Edit Control. I'm iterating thru the no of lines and printing. The following code is not working. But if i use a character array instead of the LPTSTR variable "str" it works. { int i, nLineLength, nLineCount; CString strText, strLine; nLineCount = pmyRichEditCtrl->GetLineCount(); for (i=0;i < nLineCount;i++) { nLineLength = pmyRichEditCtrl->LineLength(i); LPTSTR str = strText.GetBuffer(nLineLength); int r = pmyRichEditCtrl->GetLine(i,str); strText.ReleaseBuffer(nLineLength); TRACE...