Sort and report category items

I'm an Excel rookie using Excel 2008.

And this is probably a very beginner question.

Example of problem:

Sheet has three(3) columns (A, B, C) with the first two being text cells.
A: Organization type
B: Organization name
C: Organization $

The rows contain the information for each year and then within each year
a row for each organization reporting that year.

I'd like to create a report with:

A List of all organizations by each type and not repeat the names. This
would look like:

Type 1:
Company X
Company Z

Type 2:
Company Y

Type 3:
Company M
Company N
Company R

Etc.

Thank you for any tips.

--
Norm
0

On 1/11/10 1:36 PM, in article
SNOdnbXkkstc8tbWnZ2dnUVZ_rOdnZ2d@speakeasy.net, "Norm"
<NOSPAM@gmail.invalid> wrote:

> I'm an Excel rookie using Excel 2008.
>
> And this is probably a very beginner question.
>
> Example of problem:
>
> Sheet has three(3) columns (A, B, C) with the first two being text cells.
> A: Organization type
> B: Organization name
> C: Organization $
>
> The rows contain the information for each year and then within each year
> a row for each organization reporting that year.
>
> I'd like to create a report with:
>
> A List of all organizations by each type and not repeat the names. This
> would look like:
>
> Type 1:
> Company X
> Company Z
>
> Type 2:
> Company Y
>
> Type 3:
> Company M
> Company N
> Company R
>
> Etc.
>
> Thank you for any tips.
Try Subtotal. Look in Excel Help for examples. If you are still having
trouble, report back here with more details about what you tried, what does
not work.

--
Bob Greenblatt [MVP], Macintosh
bobgreenblattATmsnDOTcom

0
Bob
1/11/2010 7:06:17 PM
In article <C770E0D9.C1219%bob@nospam.com>,
 Bob Greenblatt <bob@nospam.com> wrote:

> Try Subtotal. Look in Excel Help for examples. If you are still having
> trouble, report back here with more details about what you tried, what does
> not work.

Before I do......

I'm not looking for any calculations. Just want a list of the
organizations by type.

Just wanted to make sure I was clear in the original question.

Thanks.

--
Norm
0
<NOSPAM@gmail.invalid> wrote:

> In article <C770E0D9.C1219%bob@nospam.com>,
>  Bob Greenblatt <bob@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> Try Subtotal. Look in Excel Help for examples. If you are still having
>> trouble, report back here with more details about what you tried, what does
>> not work.
>
> Before I do......
>
> I'm not looking for any calculations. Just want a list of the
> organizations by type.
>
> Just wanted to make sure I was clear in the original question.
>
> Thanks.
Subtotal will work, but your list will have to be sorted on type first. You
could also try a filtered list.

--
Bob Greenblatt [MVP], Macintosh
bobgreenblattATmsnDOTcom

0
Bob
1/11/2010 9:45:31 PM
In article <C771062B.C1239%bob@nospam.com>,
 Bob Greenblatt <bob@nospam.com> wrote:

> >> Try Subtotal. Look in Excel Help for examples. If you are still having
> >> trouble, report back here with more details about what you tried, what does
> >> not work.
> >
> > Before I do......
> >
> > I'm not looking for any calculations. Just want a list of the
> > organizations by type.
> >
> > Just wanted to make sure I was clear in the original question.
> >
> > Thanks.
> Subtotal will work, but your list will have to be sorted on type first. You
> could also try a filtered list.

In looking at both functions, this beginner will be challenged setting
up either one.

Which one do you recommend for the first try. ;)

Thanks.

--
Norm
0
In article <SNOdnbXkkstc8tbWnZ2dnUVZ_rOdnZ2d@speakeasy.net>,
 Norm <NOSPAM@gmail.invalid> wrote:

> I'm an Excel rookie using Excel 2008.

OP revising question slightly in hopes of finding an answer "I" can
implement.... which means a beginner answer:

The Excel Sheet has three (3) columns (A, B, C) with the last two being
text cells.

A: Year
B: Company type
C: Company name

There is a row for each organization reporting in a specific year.

I'd like to create a report with:

A list by "Type" of all the organizations who have ever reported and not
repeat the organization names.

This report would look like:

Example report

Type 1 Companies:
Company X
Company Z

Type 2 Companies:
Company Y

Type 3 Companies:
Company M
Company N
Company R

Etc.

Thank you for any tips.

--
Norm
0

Report Time
Most all RMS (active) reports have the date underneath the report name. I would also like to have the time after the date (I.E. Generated On 6/13/2008 16:44). Does anybody know how to do this? There is a <Report Date> variable that picks up the date but I'm looking for the time as well (<Report Time> doesn't work!). Any solutions or suggestions would be appreciated. Change <Report Date> to <Now> :) -- -Jerry JR Data Inc. "Alex" wrote: > Most all RMS (active) reports have the date underneath the report name. I > would also like to ha...

SQL Reporting Services and GP 10
Hello: Is it possible to associate SQL Reporting Services reports with SOP invoices in GP 10.0 rather than with Report Writer? I know that Accountable Software has Forms Printer, but I believe that that only works with Crystal. And, I know that there are SRS reports written to display data from GP but I do not think that these reports will work in terms of printing invoices or orders from SOP. Thanks! childofthe1980s No not really.. The problem is that when an SOP or POP document is printed, GP needs to be updated. Accountable does that with their Crystal interface but I dont kno...

Reporting Hardware Specs for a 20TB Oracle DB
Hello, I have a requirement for a Reporting Solution for an Enterprise Reporting Solution for a 20TB Oracle (running on Unix) Datawarehouse that does about 150M Transactions a day. There are about 300 users and not more than 30 concurrent users. They already have a MOSS 2007 Installation so i need specs for the SSAS Server which will sit on its own server. My questions are; 1) What should the specs (RAM, Processor, Disk Space) of this SSAS Server be? 2) What would the specs of the SSRS Server be? 3) Any other special considerations? Thanks I'd buy the highest machi...

Report of sales by month based on a cross tab query
Hi, I have a cross tab query that will provide sales by month for 2008. Right now it is sales for January08. As there are sales for future months, they will appear as well. I want to create a table that has all of the months listed out already. Right now, on the first day of the month, I go into the report and add the new month. I want it so that all month are listed which I have done. The problem is that when I run the report, I get an error that says "the Microsoft Jet does not recognize February as a valid field name. After today, there will be February data but no March ...

only the first 5 columns of a 10 column excel spreadsheet sort
How do I get the whole spread sheet to sort? There is a blue lox for the first 5 columns that limits the range of the sort. How do I remove it? Using Office 2003. Maybe if you remove the Data|list Select a cell in that blue box. Data|list|convert to range jrw562 wrote: > > How do I get the whole spread sheet to sort? There is a blue lox for the > first 5 columns that limits the range of the sort. How do I remove it? > Using Office 2003. -- Dave Peterson ...

Does the New Worth Report have a fault
When I calculate my new worth in MS Money 2000 (old version I know) it adds my assets and liabilities instead of subtracting them. For example, if my savings, checking, investments total $10,000.00 and my liabilities total $5000.00, MS Money calculates my net worth as $15,000.00. Shouldn't my net worth be $5,000.00? Shouldn't it subtract my liabilities instead of add them? Please let me know if there is a glich in the software and how I can fix it. Also please let me know if I am financially inept. Thanks, -k In your example, the net worth should be $5,000.00. You may hav...

How To Allocating Rent Between Two Categories?
Original Question: [The part I need help with is that the amount in column G has to be allocated to the following accounts in this order Gas, Hydro, Promo FC CAM Mkt CAM Base % Rent I'm just working on allocating the last two, so I'm assuming that there is rent remaining to be allocated from column G after allocating to Gas, Hydro, Promo, FC CAM and Mkt CAM. The remaining balance has to be allocated first to base rent than to % rent on a monthly basis. If some rent is allocated to % rent, and the next months sales are so low that the base rent is fully filled we need to first reduc...

OL2007+Exchange: Sent items disappear if i move them to another folder...!
I'm seeing a very strange issue with my Outlook2007 (against Exchange)... Sent items disappear if i move them to another folder...! Steps: 1. Send an email. Sent email gets saved under Outlook's default "Mailbox\SentItems" folder. 2. Go to that SentItems folder, and move the mail to another folder (let's say "Foobar") under your inbox. 3. Go to "Foobar", make sure mail is still there. 4. Let Outlook Sync up with Exchange server (or hit "Send and Receive"). 5. You will notice that the mail disappears... ! I did a full text search in my ...

publisher: 4 Millions Domains data with Category
Successfull Internet and Direct Marketing products on www.promotionsite.net * NEW * DOMUS Domains Toolkit Fall 2004 - Unique on the Net 4 Millions "Whois" Domains data with Expiration Date and Category*. Ultimate Version (October 2004) - Our best rate starts from US *$149*. A wonderful tool for Internet and Direct Marketing. Available in Basic, Advanced and Full Editions. It contains a domain database with 4 millions *FRESH* October 2004 New records .com, .net, .org. 4 Gigabytes MS Excel data zipped on CD-Roms/Dvd. Compression 3:1. MS Excel or Text tab del...

Problems with reports on Money 2004
I am having problems getting onto the reports page as everytime it crashes. I have tried to repair using the disk and uninstalled and re-installed and it still doesn't work. I am told that there isn't a new UK version available so I cannot upgrade. Can anybody help In microsoft.public.money, Jayne Morris <Jayne Morris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am having problems getting onto the reports page as everytime it crashes. I >have tried to repair using the disk and uninstalled and re-installed and it >still doesn't work. I am told that there isn't a ne...

Categories & Reports in MM 2002? #2
I created a Business classification to keep track of business expenses. Yet, I cannot use any Reports for my Business classification. How do I just limit the Reports for the Business classification? Christopher Paul Billows http://www.accidentaldesign.com "Life is not fair, it is interconnected" -- myself ...

Report Sum
I am working on a cost study form for a body shop. Each vehicle will have its own page. I have to be able to add up to 15 different list part totals as well as 15 different net part totals. I then need to add the 7% tax of the list part total to the net parts total. I would love some input on what would be the easiest way to achieve this because I then have to generate a report with by the different companies showing total parts, total labor and total profit ratio. Usually, you want to text put boxes in footer of the form. You have to pull the footer down on the bottom to have...

Can there be variable size columns in one report?
I want to create a report that has 3 sub-reports of different column widths. Is this possible? -The 1st sub-report has 1 column that occupies the entire width of the page -The 2nd sub-report can fit 2 columns in the page width -The 3rd sub-report can fit 3 columns in the page width Subreports can have any number of columns that don't have to be the same from one to another. Typically your columns should display across then down in order to render properly as a subreport. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "SheldonHinds" wrote: > I want to create a r...

Print employee record summary Inquiry report
How do i print the employee record summary Inquiry report? There's not a report you can print from the window. You can either do a screen shot of it or create a custom report. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Hazvi" wrote: > How do i print the employee record summary Inquiry report? ...

Report on a specific printer, bug in access 2007?
Dear all, in access 2007, I can click the "page setup" menu then the "page setup" button, and choose to print the report on a specific printer. However, after saving the report and re-opening it, he still prints on default printer. The specific printer setting is not saved with the report (this worked with all previous versions of access, it seems the specific printer setting has no effect anymore). Does someone know where I could find a patch or a workaround for this? (no updates are found through office update, and this might be critical for some applications). Regard...

sales report by split sales persons
we have situations where 2 different sales persons sell to the same customer, depending on product group. We select the specific sales person when we enter the sales order. Unfortunately, later when we want to run a sales report, it assigns all the sales to whatever salesperson is shown in the Cards as the default sales person. We need a report that assigns sales to sales persons based on the data from the individual sales orders ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click th...

Error Message when viewing CRM 4.0 Reports
We recieve the following event error when attempting to access any report. http://<reportserver>/reportserver failed. Error: The request failed with HTTP Unauthorized 401 Any suggestions? This is a new install. "Chris Timms" <ChrisTimms@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E4DDBE2-58EC-408F-82E8-3B7EF531D392@microsoft.com... > We recieve the following event error when attempting to access any report. > > http://<reportserver>/reportserver failed. Error: The request failed with > HTTP Unauthorized 401 > > Any suggestions? Thi...

Cost Variance Report and Smartlist
We currently use the Enter/Match Invoice screen to enter payable invoices. I understand that when prices differ, a cost variance report is created/printed. Is there a way to create this report in Smartlist? We currently link the SOP / POP by using the purchase button. What is happening is, if the linked Purchase Order line is received at an incorrect price (found while keying the vendor invoice), when the link is used to drill back from the sales order to the purchase order the incorrect price shows. We would like to use Smartlist to see the original purchase order price and the ...

Explanation of Money Performance Report
If i run a perfomance report there are 2 columns for judging performance - "%Rate of Return" & "Annual % Return". I am having a problem understanding the meaning of each column. If I run the report for exactly 1 year then both columns show the exact same numbers for indexes such as Dow Jones Indutrial Average or Nasdaq Composite which I have in my watch list. In the same report for exactly 1 year the 2 columns have very different numbers for my stocks and mutual funds. For example I have a mutual fund which shows 1.28 for % Rate of Return and 21.32 for Annu...

CComboBox shows only one item at a time !
Hi All, I am using CComboBox control and have tried both dropdown and dropddown list styles. The problem is that I have several items in the combo box but dropdown shows only 1 at a time (i.e. the arrows of v-scrollbar are stuck together).. How do I remedy this ? Thanks in advance. Ashish Got it... Thanks "Ashish" <abc@def.com> wrote in message news:eqRb$LSyDHA.2304@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hi All, > I am using CComboBox control and have tried both dropdown and dropddown list > styles. The problem is that I have several items in the combo box but > dropdown sho...

how to insert a item when ListCtrl is in "Icon" mode
I create a ListCtrl with "Icon" mode,but I found I can't use the "InsertItem()" to insert a item in a specfied position,the new item is always at the bottom of list,but I want insert some items before a specified position,so how to do it? "pango" <pango99@tom.com> skrev i en meddelelse news:0a1101c3d919$a04cbfa0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I create a ListCtrl with "Icon" mode,but I found I can't > use the "InsertItem()" to insert a item in a specfied > position,the new item is always at the bottom of list,but > I want i...

retrieving deleted items
If a user deleted a bunch of emails before quitting can I retrieve those without doing a restore? They aren't in her deleted items. if you have DIR configured on that mailbox store, you can recover them by selecting the deleted items folder, and selecting Tools, Recover deleted items from the menu in Outlook... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Brandon Baker" <brandon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:eW$YsTMOGHA.668@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > If a user deleted a bunch of emails before quitting can I retrieve those > without doing a restore? They aren'...

Assigning categories to payees #2
MSM05: I've downloaded oodles of transaction from my bank and am in the process of assigning categories to each transactions. Besides it being a blooming bore, is there a way to assign a category to a payee once and then have all identical or similar payees receive the same category assignment? (sort of a find and replace function, no?) Thanks! There is a find and replace function under tools. Also you can enable AutoComplete so that Money remembers your assignments. "Cary" wrote: > MSM05: I've downloaded oodles of transaction from my bank and am in the > proc...

Laying out a Report
I have a database with two tables called Fillers and issues linked. I want to make a report on issues under two different sections of the filler. Fillers Table Model = 6000 S/N 235 J/N 12 Date started Date complete Issues Table Fed/sep Date Part issue drawing issue bill of material issue assingned to plan of action Filler Date Part issue drawing issue bill of material issue assingned to plan of action Any suggestions would be appreciated What field is linking Fillers and issues? It looks like you want two records from issuses for every filler record. Is this correct? If so, h...