Powerpoint icon for .xls files?

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

I recently did a clean install of Office 08, including all updates.  <br>
Funny thing (well, not really) is that all my excel files (.xls) now have a powerpoint icon. Powerpoint files also, as it should be. Word files (.doc) show up ok. <br>
Any ideas how to solve this? I already changed the default application for .xls to neooffice and then back to excel but again got the poerpoint icons...
1
Mr

0
pjonesCET
5/31/2010 5:31:04 PM
Just tried this, but alas, powerpoint icon remains for the xls files (when I set neooffice as default app I see the neooffice icons, when I set excel I see the powerpoint icons).
0
Mr
5/31/2010 7:43:23 PM
Yeah, software of that ilk often impose their own 'generic' identity which
doesn't convert back to what it should actually be. This "may" work...

Try opening one of the files from within Excel [using File> Open], use Save
As to resave the file as 'Excel Workbook (.xlsx)' then close the file. In
Finder, select the file then Command+I, re-specify 'Open With:' as
'Microsoft Excel.app (12.2.4)' , click the 'Change All' button & confirm
'Continue' when prompted.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 5/31/10 3:43 PM, in article 59bb934a.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Mr.Cool@officeformac.com" <Mr.Cool@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Just tried this, but alas, powerpoint icon remains for the xls files (when I
> set neooffice as default app I see the neooffice icons, when I set excel I see
> the powerpoint icons).

0
CyberTaz
5/31/2010 8:19:48 PM
Did you do on more than one file?

Try repairing Permissions using Disk Utility.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.        "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net        mailto:pjones1@kimbanet.com

Print file path
I want the file path to be printed on every excel wooksheet I print. Is there a way to do this on new and existing worksheets without having to go into Headers and Footers each time? Thanks, Esther See http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/fullnameinfooter2.html In article <13B70E9B-37DE-4A55-9734-8D465E635DA6@microsoft.com>, "EstherJ" <EstherJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I want the file path to be printed on every excel wooksheet I print. Is > there a way to do this on new and existing worksheets without having to go > into Headers and Footers ...

Read Text File into Excel Using VBA
Hi All, I'm a new VBA programmer. I know how to pull an entire text file into an Excel Spreadsheet, but I only want specific information from the text file not the entire text file. What I have is about 25 text files stored in a folder, let's say C:\test. Each file is named by a property address as follows: 209 MAIN ST.txt 213 MAIN ST.txt 111 ELM ST.txt 2356 WOOD AVE.txt On the 11th row of each file is as follows: Property Address:209 MAIN ST On the 31st row of each file is as follows: Total Value:30500 What I would like to do is read each file located in the "C:\test folder...

Outlook 2003 cannot find my files
I am running Windows XP Professional Tablet. I upgraded to Office 2003, and now I cannot see my contacts and my calendar is empty. I do not know what to do now, as I cannot run the earlier version of Outlook. I can find the pst files, but I cannot figure out how to import them into this new version. In addition, I cannot see the local email files that I have stored in my directory. Help! Sincerely, GVG Don't try to import - use File->open->outlook data file and browse to the location of your .pst file. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to ke...

File view doesn't list an expected source file
Hi, File view isn't showing a file it should show. One of the last steps needed to add Help support to an existing project is to compile MyProject.hpj. To do this, msdn says that I should go to File view, open the source files list, highlight MyProj.hpj, and then select "Compile MyProject.hpj" in the Build menu. MyProject.hpj is not in the Source files list, thogh. Can someone tell me why it isn't there? The file exists in my project's MyProject\hlp directory as a result of copying the sample project's hlp directory to my project, and renaming the files so th...

File opening problem over network
I have what seems to be a strange excel file opening issue that I can't pinpoint and I would greatly appreciate any ideas to try for this problem. We have a network computer running windows 98 SE. On this computer there are many .xls files stored for users to access. Often when opening the files users get an error that reads: Microsoft Excel cannot open or save any more documents because there is not enough available memory or disk pace. -To make more memory available, close workbooks or programs you no longer need. -To free disk space, delete files you no longer need from the disk yo...

Increasing recently opened files list
Does anyone know how to increase number of files shown in recently opened files list? Mine shows four, and I'd like eight or ten, the same as I get in all my other MS applications. Any auggestions?? Thanks. tabboo wrote: > Does anyone know how to increase number of files shown in > recently opened files list? Mine shows four, and I'd like > eight or ten, the same as I get in all my other MS > applications. Any auggestions?? Thanks. =================================== What is the name and version of the program you are referring to? -- John Inzer return e-mail disabled...

Problem opening files in excel with a specific account
Hi. We have problmes opening a couple of files in excel, without any specific error message. The application just "hangs". When we log on to WXP as another user, the files work fine. We have re-installed excel, deleted and recreated the user profile which has problems, but still no luck. Anybody got a clue why this is happening? The computer excel is running on is a DELL Optiplex Pentium HyperThreading machine. Thansk in advance. Sometimes cleaning up the windows Temp folder will help. If that doesn't help, sometimes the file that contains the toolbar customizations...

Tracking Attachment File Names
Why is Outlook 2003 so reluctant to expose details of attachments to the user. I would like to be able to search for, view, and print a report that targets the file names of attachments. The attachment file name only appears on a printed message if the message is formatted as plain text. Even then, the file name is only fully displayed if it is not too long to fit in the space allocated. As for being able to search for a file name, to see which message(s) contained that attachment, that just seems too hard. Utilities that strip attachments from messages and then insert a text string in th...

Deleting Multiple PST Files
I now have 3 sets of personal folders in Outlook 2002. I need to delete 2 of them so I can eliminate the confusion when saving files. How can I delete the additional personal files. I tried deleting Outlook and reinstalling but it automatically kept everything. Dear Brian, have a look on this site: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011170471033.aspx may it helps. -- Oliver Vukovics Public OutLook: Share Outlook without Exchange Public SyncTool: Outlook PST Synchronization www.outlookstore.com Brian wrote: > I now have 3 sets of personal folders in Outlook 2002. I ...

Max size of OST files
Hi all, I'm making this post on behalf of a friend. They have a single Exchange2000 server. Not sure if it's SBS or Exchange2000 Std. There are approx 20 mailboxes on this server. The users all use Outlook 2003 (SP3) as their mail client and Outlook's account type is Exchange and not POP3 or IMAP. One of the users mailboxes is approx 6Gb in size. What they would like to do is use offline mode to create a .ost file of this persons mailbox for his laptop however the file limit on ost files appears to be 2Gb. We did find a MS k/b article that explained how to create the requi...

is there a "File name" function in ms Excel (2002)
Hi Anyone know of any msExcel function that will give the name of the current file? To be honest I want if for printout purposes because I am trying to avoid the custom header etc (which seems difficult/impossible to format) Shiphen Shiperton Henethe One way =LEFT(MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("[",CELL("filename",A1))+1,255),FIND(".", MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("[",CELL("filename",A1))+1,255))+3) can be put in any cell if you want the full path =SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",...

Invoice Number should be the name of file on pdf
When printing an invoice to a pdf format, or emailing the invoice, the system should automatically prompt you to name it as the invoice number, not "SOP Blank Document.pdf". ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesss...

want to download csv file from website and need to open in Excel.
currently the file is opening in html, then i save it as a text file, then manually open Excel and finally open the text file and then the file opens in csv format. this used to happen behind the scenes then I received a new computer. i am sure there must be a switch that needs to be toggled but at am at a loss as to what that swithc might be. any ideas? from: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q162059/ 1. Open My Computer. 2. On the Tools menu (or the View menu), click Folder Options (or click Options). 3. Click the File Types tab. 4. In the Registered file types list, click the specific...

Recover Outlook 2002 Archive file from Norton Protected Recycle Bin
Deleted Outlook 2002 backup/archive file by mistake. Found it in Norton Protected Recycle Bin. Made copies then tried to restore one copy from Nortons and one copy through Outlook import, both attempts failed with same results. Outlook does not recongonize file as personal folders file. Any suggestions. Assuming read only hasnt been set, Try running the repair tool, scanpst.exe on the pst. You may have to run it several times. Then in OL file/open, the pst "Larry" <onsitecs@fuse.net> wrote in message news:188ce01c44af4$0b2bc4f0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Deleted Outlook 200...

File Attachment Help !
I have created table to keep a track of attached file info. Fields are : CustID, FileName,FileLocation In my main form I have created “Attached File” button – (to attach file – should attach more than one) and “View Attachment” - (to view all attached file) button. I have created two list box – one to view the list of attached file (Current attachment). And other to view the list which is already there (previously attached) I need to allow users to upload attachments (docs, jpgs, tifs, etc.) to a network drive. And View the attachment when click on “View Attached File” but...

Open XLS file without it's number format using VBA?
An XLS file has been saved with it's numbers formatted to a specified number of decimal places. Using VBA how do you read in that XLS file with the numbers unformatted and with the original number of decimal places? Workbooks.Open (filename:="myFileName.xls", ????) Not sure what you mean by "read in". The values are still in the cells. If you open the workbook, then transfer the cell values from the worksheet to VBA, you'll get the entire number, not the version that is rounded for viewing purposes. On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 22:55:55 GMT, Dennis@NoSpam.com wrote: >...

Icons and sorting
I just started using a great little tool called, "RSS Popper"[1] to get RSS feeds into Outlook. It works pretty well. It creates RSS items in an Outlook folder. My question is mundane and I'm honestly a little embarrassed... I don't know how to make Outlook rules that deal with the items RSS items that RSS Popper creates. I don't recognize the icons! I've posted a screen shot here http://www.thebiermans.net/junk/outlook.png If anyone could tell me what these are, and/or how to make rules that deal with them, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks very much....

Open File Path not as expected
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel When I open a file via the OPEN dialog, I expect Word to open that same folder (subdirectory) the next time I OPEN a file. But it doesn't. The OPEN dialog opens to a folder up a level or two from the previously defined target. What up? You're expecting the Windows Word behaviour. Mac Word doesn't do that. Many of us wish it did, but Mac OS has a different concept of "Current Folder" from Windows, and apparently it would be against the rules for Microsoft to replicate the Windows beh...

Locking excel file
Hi how do you lock an excel file so that other people using the computer will not be able to open? dolin, http://youngindonesiangirls.googlepages.com File>Save As>Tools>General Options.......set a password to open Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 15:27:30 -0700 (PDT), Dolin <ceweindo@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi how do you lock an excel file so that other people using the >computer will not be able to open? > >dolin, >http://youngindonesiangirls.googlepages.com hey thanks gord, ive been searching this for quite some time. On Jul 15, 3:53=A0am, Gord ...

Output Query as an Excel file
I am trying to output a query as an excel file and save it to a specific location. Here is my code. DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputQuery, "Qry:SKU_ALL_2", acFormatXLS, _ "C:\RH DOC\LCM_PROJECT\LCM_QRY" & "\" & "LCM_QRY" & "_" & "PERIOD" & "_" & ([Forms]![LCM_DATA]![PER]) & ".xls", False I get a run time error '2306' that states there too many rows to output, based on the limitation specified by the output format or by Microsoft Access. There are 36,464 records. When I take...

I'm having problems inserting text files from notepad
When I try to insert a text file created in notepad, which contains characters such as £, $ or letters with symbols over them, into a text box in Publisher 2003 it comes up with a File Conversion window, and the options to choose the Text encoding option. This didnt happen in our older version of Publisher, on our old PCs. We have new PC running Windows XP and Office Professional 2003 and I want to be able to insert the files without this window appearing. I have checked the registry and CharacterSet value is set to ANSI. Any suggestions on what is happening and how I can correct...

File Dialog Explorer style + manipulate existing controls #3
First, thx for your replies on my first question. I ave another question: in my application I have an online-language-switch option, where the user can switch between the languages German, English and French. Can i manipulate the buttons and labels of the modern file-open-dialog at runtime? I don't want to add new controls only manipulate the existing one (setting correct language texts). Is this possible with the file dialog which uses explorer style? thx ...

.tmp files #3
Excel 2000 is leaving the tmp file in the folder when any spreadsheet is opened and closed. This is confusing to the users and is wasting network drive space. I found that it should be renaming and/or deleting these files. Is this a feature or is there some setting I am missing. "Mike Scott" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote... >Excel 2000 is leaving the tmp file in the folder when any >spreadsheet is opened and closed. This is confusing to >the users and is wasting network drive space. >I found that it should be renaming and/or deleting these >fi...

Directory Issues 2003: Merge file, Header and Footer,
Hello, After I have merged my pubication, Merged File Issue: After I have merged my file, where I would like to start my header and footer prevents me from doing so, because the name is in the middle of the page along with other data. Please advise Header and Footer: I can't get the header not to be on a single page -- astro44 Jessica, Are you using the catalog merge? What are you trying to do with the header and footer? When you are finished with the merge, in step five create a new publication with the merge. If your merge was setup as a catalog, you now can view the header...

How to control Word to open files in Draft layout and Document Map
I can't find how to control this. Sometimes for a long period all documents open in Draft mode which is what I want but sometimes they open in other layout modes and I have to constantly switch to Draft layout mode. Also the same happens with the Document Map view that appear on the left side. I used to have all documents open with that Document Map view but currently for about a month all documents open with Thumbnails view and I have to always switch to Document Map view every time. Ross_123 wrote: > I can't find how to control this. Sometimes for a long period all ...