Partially protected sheet in Excel 2007 (Win) turns into fully protected sheet

Version: 2004
Processor: Intel

0
rboisjoly

BTW, if I open the spreadsheet in Numbers (from iWork), it removes the password completely, but mangles the formatting... not any more useable. But it shows the password can actually be removed. I do not wish to remove it, just to be able to modify what I am supposed to.
0
rboisjoly
3/18/2010 1:38:27 AM
Technically I guess it's "by design" although it certainly qualifies as a
'bug' by many definitions :-) The crux of the matter is that Mac Excel has
not been endowed with the Range Protection features included in the Windows
version. AFAIK there is no way around the disparity when using Mac Excel,
but your results with Numbers is rather intriguing. I'm sure MS would like
to know of the security being so easily breached by other apps.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 3/17/10 9:37 PM, in article 59bb5721.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"rboisjoly@officeformac.com" <rboisjoly@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel
> Hi!
>
> I have to modify an Excel spreadsheet which is provided to me. On Windows,
> part of the sheet is password prrotected so it never is modified. If I change
> it under Windows, I can change the cells I am entitled to. Works fine. On Mac
> Excel 2004, when I open the same spereadsheet, the whole sheet is protected
> and Excel asks that I remove the password before I can modify the sheet. This
> is not very good as you can imagine.
>
> Is there a way to fix this? Is this a bug or the expected behavior? If
> expected, it is a bit of an issue...
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide
>
> - Renaud

0
CyberTaz

Automatically Starting a Excel Addin
Hi We are using Excel 2000 and have a Addin that create a extra Tool bar. What we want to do is get this automatically loaded everytime someone loads Excel. If I go to Tool \ Addin and tick our addin it loads everytime OK. But we don't want to get all our users to have to do this themselves, if we know either the regit key or file that we needed to puch out to our users we could turn this setting on for them. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks Paul www.purenetworking.net Jan Karel Pieterse used a helper workbook that added an addin in his namemanager utility. You can find it a...

Does the Letter Wizard exist in Word 2007?
I'm looking to see if this feature still exists in Word 2007. If it does, I can't seem to find it. Thanks! There are no wizards in Word 2007. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Judy" <Judy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:56B9447D-E249-464B-918F-F301E2102EB4@microsoft.com... > I'm looking to see if this feature still exists in Word 2007. If it does, > I > can't seem to find it. > > Thanks! > Not sure if this is what you are ...

leading zeros in excel
I need to display leading zeros in whole numbers eg 05324 Format as 00000 -- HTH Bob Phillips "kiwi" <kiwi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4560E85F-CE45-487F-812F-C7CA9D7FB042@microsoft.com... > I need to display leading zeros in whole numbers eg 05324 If that is for a US zip code, they really should be formatted as text then they can also be consistent with zip+4 codes as well, and with codes used in other countries as well. Format as text is best, or precede with a single quote. If they aren't going to be treated arithmetically then ...

outlook 2007 04-08-10
Ran fine yesterday now it will not open up? Make sure outlook.exe is not running in the Task Manager > Processes. If it isn't, try opening Outlook with the /resetnavpane switch: Start > Run > outlook.exe /resetnavpane (note the space between outlook.exe and /resetnavpane) Windows Vista & Windows 7 Start > Start Search > outlook.exe /resetnavpane (same space) -- Kathleen Orland Please support me in my efforts: SPCA Friends for Life 2010 Walk-A-Thon http://ontariospca.akaraisin.com/p/kathleenorland.aspx "shantzy" <shantzy@discussions....

excel dropdown menu question
Being a complete newbie here, my question is as follows. I have created a spreadsheet for our Little League baseball team by position and inning. In each cell I have created a dropdown menu that lists each of our 11 players by name so that all I have to do is select the players name and it fills in that cell for that position/inning. What I would like this drop down menu to do, if possible, is as I move down the player position (in a single inning) and choose a players name to fill that position, the dropdown menu then removes that players name in the next position to be filled. EX: ...

Saving configurations in Word 2007
I have 800 word users that get mad everytime we update their word2007client and all indvidual configurations (don´t show spelling and grammatics, don´t show changes and so on) just vanish and is replaced by default. Any solution of this problem? How are you updating them? -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><&...

excel database 25,000 plus names
I am working with a database i set up in excel. It has over 25,000 names, total size of file is 274mb. If i transfer all my data from an excel database to access, will i work faster. Right now it takes forever to open and save. I am told it is not my computer. any tips??? -- mikedipaol ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mikedipaola's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3568 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=55465 If this is just a datastore, then yes, it is better in Access and wh...

How can I create a graph & execute Excel from a non- MS environme
I would like to set up an application that can be run from Unix or another operating system that can be used to display a graph in Excel.(maybe a perl script, or something?) I can create a csv file from the data coming from a non-microsoft environment. I would like to be able to then run a unix system command, or a command that can be executed from the "run" line from MS Start menu that would use this data to open Excel and display the data as a chart. CJ Dev Wrote: > I would like to set up an application that can be run from Unix o > another > operating system that...

how do i create an access code sheet to number my office files an.
im new to this office. the former person made an access code sheet (looks like it was made in excel, but im not sure) the sheet numbers and color codes files that are in the office. i guess the former did not save the sheet, and i need to add new files. So if i need to make a new access code sheet to number and color code all files, which way will be the easiest to do this. (and i've never used excel or word to do this, so please leave how-to instructions) you may want to use word to do this so you can use the label function. you could just as easily do it in excel as well simpl...

Sheet Retains Deleted Text Box Contents on HTML Export
My apologies if this situation has popped up before and been answered... I have an Excel 2002 workbook of some 15 worksheets. When I first created it, I used text boxes as footers -- each sheet was no longer than a page when printed, so one text box per worksheet was enough, and the use of text boxes allowed me to see the footer information without invoking the print preview. Later, I deleted all the text boxes and used the custom footer option instead. Recently, when saving those sheets as HTML files, I found that the data that had been in those text boxes was appearing in the HTML c...

Outlook 2007 and Office H&S 2007`
This has probably been asked and answered somewhere before but I'm not up to weeding through years of postings trying to locate it. The problem is this. I have Office 2007 Home and Student Edition and Outlook 2007 (purchased separately), on my Toshiba laptop computer. It's running Vista Home Premium with 4gigs of memory and a bunch of other typical crap. The computer came with Office pre-installed and I thought I had uninstalled it as it wasn't the edition I had bought. At any rate, whenever I go to use either program, it goes basically into an endless loop of wanting to d...

how do I download an excel template%3f
I have tried to download an excel template from the MicroSoft website. However, after clicking the download now button nothing happens. The download never reaches my computer. I am using excel 2003 and have MicroSoft XP on my computer. The information in the following article may help: Downloading Office Online templates http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011352971033.aspx Dante wrote: > I have tried to download an excel template from the MicroSoft website. > However, after clicking the download now button nothing happens. The > download never reaches my co...

DPM 2007 access denied errors
A couple days ago we had to reboot one of our servers (not nicely) and now DPM needs to run a consistency check with the server to correct/sync any changes, but it has been failing every time it tries. Here is the error details: Type: Consistency check Status: Failed Description: DPM encountered an error while performing an operation for \\?\Volume{2d49d72a-ae80-11dd-bf9d-806e6f6e6963}\Documents and Settings\Administrator.MEDIBASE\Cookies\administrator@at.atwola[2].txt (ID 2033 Details: Access is denied (0x80070005)) End time: 1/29/2010 9:41:56 AM Start t...

Copy and Paste in Excel, copies cell and formula, but shows same v
Excel 2003 with 2007 converters installed. Not constant problem, but have seen it once before, can't remember how to stop it happening. I have a bank forecast which I have a running total column, against a individual line item list. Noddy stuff. Problem. If I make changes to the forecast I need to recopy down the running total formula to refresh the running total when it doesn't pick up the additions, usual when a cut has been pasted in. Whilst it allows me to dragdown or copy and paste the formula and the new cells take on the correct line/column numbers to do thei...

Excel Formula Copy
Why would a formula copy down the whole column but NOT provide the correct answers within the cells at one computer and at another computer would work? Jennifer schreef: > Why would a formula copy down the whole column but NOT provide the correct > answers within the cells at one computer and at another computer would work? Could you be more specific? What does it say on the other computer? Maybe in Tools > Options> Calculations "manual" is selected. Maybe the Automatic Calculation option is off on the computer it wont work on?? Thats my only guess "Jennifer&quo...

Cannot access the "Help" files in Office 2007
Cannot access the "Help" files in Office 2007. I have ran "repair' from the installation CD and still have the same issue. Every time I click the question mark , or hit "F1", for help I get the following message: "There is a problem with one or more installed help files. Please repair your office installation and try again". Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks Britaa: My suggestion would be to just completely reinstall Office 2007 beacuse if you have allready tried to repair it im guessing a file somewhere has been deleted. Hope...

Outlook Connector causes Outlook 2007 to not shutdown #3
I have had this problem with Outlook 2007 not shutting down for a long time, but recently, through the process of elimination, I have found that it is being caused by one of my Hotmail accounts, through the Outlook Connector. The actual problem is that Outlook does not exit properly. If I close it, the process can still be seen in Task Manager. When I try to shut down the machine, I get a message saying that Outlook will not shut down, and I need to force it to close. This means that sometimes Outlook needs to check the message store when I start it up again. This does not happen when I r...

unintentional re-sizing of documents embedded in Excel
Within the last few days, Ive been experiencing a problem with Word documents embedded in an Excel worksheet. While I'm typing in the embedded document, the document size will change without any apparent cause. I've been using this form for years without any problem. We have virus protection software that is current, so I doubt that is the problem. Any ideas or suggestioins?? TIA, Rich Hi no solution but this is probably not a virus or a setting. This happens in my experience quite often to embedded Excel documents. Would consider this more as a bug (with no workaround I know...

How to have multiple columns in excel that will expand and colaps.
I have a large about of tiered data, multiple columns, that I would like for the users to be able to expand and colapse on by each column level to view that level of data. Is there a method of doing this. It's hard to understand what you are wanting from what you say. Provide some detail about what the data looks like at the start, then what it looks like after expanding and then what it looks like after collapsing. Don't attach a file to your post. Just describe what you have and want. HTH Otto "columnhelp" <columnhelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

Excel data query goes away.
I have a work book that gets information from an SQL database. About every two months the query goes away. Why? and how can I stop this from happening? ...

insert data from one excel file into another
Is there any way to insert data from one excel file into another without doing copy and pasting? I need to automate the process of inserting data but I cannot use copy-paste, because it puts data on a clipboard, and my Excel VBA program runs in a multi-user environment. So if one instance of a program is copying data into clipboard, and another instance is pasting it at the same time, it will paste incorrect data. Thank you Leonard. You'll need both spreadsheets open, but try this; Option Explicit Sub MyMacro() Dim MyVariable As String Windows("File2.xls").Ac...

Please help with Excel formula problem!
I've spent hours and hours trying to figure this out, with no luck. I'd be PROFOUNDLY grateful if anybody can help. You have several cities, say 10, requesting various amounts of funding. You, the fund source, have a total of $1,500,000 in funds to give them. However, the total amount they're all requesting is, say, $1,655,502. You don't have enough; you only have $1,500,000. 1,500,000/1,655,502 = .9061. So, you grant EACH city 90.61% of what it requested, and all the grants total up to $1,500,000. No problem with that one, you can throw up a little spreadsheet in a few se...

Nuevo excel
Existe una nueva version English ng. Newer than what? -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Liliana Uribe" <sluribem@gmail.com> wrote in message news:OrgHvn2yIHA.2068@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Existe una nueva version Hola Uribe fervientemente que nos dijo:=20 > Existe una nueva version inmediatamente, hasta las prensas que pulsar en este enlace! news://news.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.es.excel --=20 --=20 @+ ;o))) ...

Looking to automatically "unhide" rows in excel using hyperlinks
Using Excel 2000 and want to hide rows then have those rows automatically displayed if a hyperlink is selected. ...

Transfer information into Excel spreadsheet
In Internet Explorer on a particular web page, I used to be able to click on file > Edit with Excel and then select the parts of the page I wanted to export. (By clicking on the small yellow box with a + in it. Now, my "edit" options are with Front Page or Word. What happened? I realize I can right click on the body of the page and select export to Excel, but I want to continue doing it the way I have for the past 6 months. ...