No file locking in office 2004 with local user

Version: 2004
Processor: Intel

A user shares his home folder on Mac OS X 10.5.8. This user has a Excel file open in Office 2004. When an other user opens the same file using AFP file sharing there is no message warning the user the file is being modified by the local user. <br>
All software is up-to-date. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? <br><br>This problem does not occur in Office 2008 with 10.6 clients.
0
Seymore

--B_3346128561_25390090

On 1/12/10 2:55 AM, in article 59bb0b61.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Seymore@officeformac.com" <Seymore@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel A
> user shares his home folder on Mac OS X 10.5.8. This user has a Excel file
> open in Office 2004. When an other user opens the same file using AFP file
> sharing there is no message warning the user the file is being modified by the
> local user.
> All software is up-to-date. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?
>
> This problem does not occur in Office 2008 with 10.6 clients.
I don�t know how to solve it, but I know it occurs. It is unclear whether it
is an Apple or Microsoft problem. I therefore suggest you update all users
to office 2008 and 10.6 to avoid the problem.

--
Bob Greenblatt [MVP], Macintosh
bobgreenblattATmsnDOTcom

--B_3346128561_25390090

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: No file locking in office 2004 with local user</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Lucida Grande"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:10pt'>On 1/12/10 2:55 AM,=
 in article <a href=3D"59bb0b61.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0">59bb0b61.-1@webcro=
ssing.JaKIaxP2ac0</a>, &quot;<a href=3D"Seymore@officeformac.com">Seymore@offi=
ceformac.com</a>&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"Seymore@officeformac.com">Seymore@office=
formac.com</a>&gt; wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Lucida Grande"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size=
:10pt'>Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: In=
tel A user shares his home folder on Mac OS X 10.5.8. This user has a Excel =
file open in Office 2004. When an other user opens the same file using AFP f=
ile sharing there is no message warning the user the file is being modified =
by the local user. <BR>
All software is up-to-date. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? <BR=

<BR>
This problem does not occur in Office 2008 with 10.6 clients.<BR>
</SPAN></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Lucida Grande"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-siz=
e:10pt'>I don&#8217;t know how to solve it, but I know it occurs. It is uncl=
ear whether it is an Apple or Microsoft problem. I therefore suggest you upd=
ate all users to office 2008 and 10.6 to avoid the problem.<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN S=
TYLE=3D'font-size:9pt'><BR>
-- <BR>
Bob Greenblatt [MVP], Macintosh<BR>
bobgreenblattATmsnDOTcom</SPAN></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Lucida Grande"><SP=
AN STYLE=3D'font-size:10pt'><BR>
</SPAN></FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--B_3346128561_25390090--

0
Bob

Saving User Settings in Outlook...
Hello everyone, Does anyone know how to save the user settings for MS outlook 2003? Thanks to all who reply, Ismael The reason I would like to be able to save the user settings is so I'll be able to restore these settings should I need to in case I had to do a clean install of WinXP and office 2003 either on the same computer of on another newly bought computer. Thanks to all who reply, Ismael "Ismael" <I_Tena@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ueqwqfaHGHA.2948@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hello everyone, > > Does anyone know how to save the user setting...

the user authentication passed to the platform is not valid 09-20-06
Anyone receive this error message in the CRM Outlook Client? "The user authentication passed to the platform is not valid." Thanks, Scott ...

automatically naming files for savingb

Font problem with Office 2004 for mac
I have Tiger, whenever I try to Launch any Office program, as the the menu loads to 'optimizing font menu performance' It pops up with 'The font " " has been corrupted and should be removed'. It does this with MANY fonts, many of which I don't even have in my font folder. It does this every time during the program start, and most times even if I go through clicking ok 40-60 times it will sometimes freeze up anyway. Anyway to fix, get around this problem? Please email me at madefornothing@yahoo.com. Hi, this problem affects quite a few users, and there'...

User Authentication Error
Hello All, I am running CRM 3.0. I have the system administrator role. When attempting to merge 2 account records I receive an error that states, "The user authentication passed to the platform is not valid." I cannot merge the records. If anyone can, please advise. thanks. Keith ...

User Defined Required Fields
I have set several field on sub window Sales User-Defined Fields Entry of Sales Transaction Entry as "Required". If the user remembers to click User-Defined, then they become required. But if the user never clicks on User-Defined from Sales Transaction Entry, then they can still save the new document without the required fields entered. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this asside from continual user training? Your answer is VBA. You own Modifer, so you also have VBA enabled. You'll need to write VBA code to open the window (literally, push the button) then set th...

Using Excel in Mac office 2004 with Microsoft/Mac 2008:Analysis toolpack
Although I am disappointed with Office 2008 for Mac because of the absent of Analysis toolpack, I figured things out quite recently that I can still install my Mac office 2004 and use the excel package that contains the Analysis tool pack. How? ...... let me show you: 1. Insert your CD for Mac office 2004 2. When it open on your desk top, two options will be given to you to download the software (a) Office set-up assistant, and (b) Microsoft office 2004. 3. CHOOSE MICROSOFT OFFICE 2004 (Drag the icon onto your desk top) and it will start to run/download. 4. When done, this will appear as ...

Office 2007 11-23-09
Of all the choices out there (community discussion, dashboard, live, etc.) how can I contact someone with input on Microsoft's software. For example, I want to know why any one would not display the most common commands on the HOME tab in Office 2007. Print, Save, Open, Close, Spell Check, Undo, etc. etc. etc. Yes, I know you can customize your own Toolbar, but not a beginner. How can I emphasize how important this is, I don't suppose you can customize the Tabs. I would like to ask someone why they can't get input from those of us who teach their products. ...

Reports in Money Small Business 2004
Since "upgrading" from Money SB 2002 to SB 2004, when I run a Sales Analysis Report (ie, "All Projects" or any project for that matter) . . . NONE of the sales/invoices are included (except as $zero) for the dates BEFORE I "upgraded" the software. The paid (or unpaid) invoice (s) for all of the projects are still there, showing the correct amount of money, they are not, however included in ANY type of report I try to run. In other words, I can ONLY get totals within a report SINCE I "upgraded" (since 6/1/04). IF I were to run any sales reports...

error message in Outlook after running windows and office updates
Hello, I am hoping someone can help me with this. When ever a few staff tries to send a new e-mail, a message "Do you want to save changes" come up and on the back of this message I see the spell checker box come up. The problem is that if you click on "no" on the error message, it comes up with another message something like "running out of memory". I just ran all the windows and office updates on all the machines in the company and so far two employees are having this problem. Is this something to do with the updates? Any suggestions? did you try ...

Deleted file in Outlook
I accidentaly deleted a folder in Outlook 2003 and am wondering if it possible to retreive it. Thank you, Karl youthminman@yahoo.com <youthminman@yahoo.com> wrote: > I accidentaly deleted a folder in Outlook 2003 and am wondering if it > possible to retreive it. Unless you permanently deleted it (i.e., held down Shift when pressing Delete), it will be in your Deleted items folder, unless you've emptied that folder. If you have emptied it, other suggestions depend on knowing what data store you're using (PST or Exchange mailbox). -- Brian Tillman ...

Access To Word Mailmerge
I have setup a Mailmerge that is run from Access. The process works like this: 1) The proper record is selected in an Access form which automatically starts the process. 2) Word is called up automatically, it shows both the template and the doument with the proper data in it. 3) Access is closed automatically. 4) The user then needs to close the mailmerge template. 5) The document with the proper mailmerge information inserted from Access is up on the screen. At this point a shortcut is triggered by the user that adds a document of the users choice to the end of the curre...

SQL-Dynamics V10 Users
I have some messy stuff going on with Dynamics and SQL users. I have users that are users in the databases, but not in Dynamics, and users in Dynamics that are not in SQL. Is there a script or anything to run to straighten this out? Right now it is manual process where I have to go user by user, check in dynamics and which companies they use, then go to SQL and check each database... Any suggestions? -- Doug Why can't you do this through the user interface? Did you resore a backup of Dynamics of something? As far as I know, the only way to create a GP login is to do it throu...

Lock Out Users for Maintenance
Is there a way to temporarily lock out all but the "sa" user? This would be very helpful when tasks such as Check Links is running. Mike, I guess the easiest way is to revoke users access to the company. Regards, -- Mohammad R. Daoud MVP, MCP, MCBMSP, MCTS, MCBMSS Mob: +962 - 79 -999 65 85 Great Package For Business Solutions daoudm@greatpbs.com http://www.greatpbs.com http://mohdaoud.blogspot.com/ "MikeWal" wrote: > Is there a way to temporarily lock out all but the "sa" user? This would be > very helpful when tasks such as Check Links is runni...

Using 'like' on a user prompt
I want to prompt the user for a value to use to filter a form. Here is my command with the WhereCondition: docmd.OpenForm "test", acNormal, , "LastName=[Enter a Last Name]" I want to use the WhereCondition as a "LIKE" criteria. Variations on the WhereCondition itself that I've tried include various combinations of LastName LIKE %...% LastName LIKE *...* LastName LIKE [%...%] LastName LIKE [*...*] You get the idea... No luck so far. Any thoughts? On Thu, 27 May 2010 21:52:50 GMT, "RicDon" <u60397@uwe> wrote: >I wan...

Unable to connect Office 2003 to SBS Exchange 2000
I have two new XPSP2 workstations with Office 2003 but when after configuring them for the Exchange server I get one of three errors: a) on a profile migrated from an existing workstation (whose Office 2000 still works) Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Unable to open the Outlook window. The set of folders could not be opened. b) on a new profile using Cached Exchange Mode Unable to open your default e-mail folders. You must connect to your Microsoft Exchange Server computer with the current profile before you can synchronize your folders with your offline folder file. c) on a new...

Can't Convert Quicken 2001 Deluxe Data to MS Money 2004
First I tried to convert the Quicken Data using the MS Money 2003 OEM Version that came with the new computer I bought last week. Then I purchased MS Money 2004 Standard Edition and still couldn't convert my Quicken data. On the box, Microsoft says they offer a 30 day money back guarantee with no details about how to get your money back. Does anyone know how I can get my money back? Regards, John E. Golden ...

User defined fields #2
Entered user defined fields the way I wanted, however, the software has now put it all in ascending order and there are no sort options available. Any way to correct without having to do it all over? Put in ascending order where?=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx =20 "Darcy W." <Darcy W.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

XML File Converter for MS 2004
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: intel I'm a high school teacher. I write power points on MS 2004 on my Mac and transfer them to my school's PC that has MS 2003. This worked great, with exception of minor formatting changes, until a month ago. Power points that I previously opened on that PC, along with new ones, would not open - this is disasterous for instruction. My tech says 1) the school's PC may have had updates that caused the new problem and 2) that I should install the Open XML File Converter for Mac's MS 2004. I'm concerned tha...

,net Users IIS
Hello, I just need some clarification: I added a user to the Membership Table using the CreateUserWizard. His name is "Bob" IIS7 shows "Bob" in the .NET Users. "Bob" is not in the web.config, but the status bar says its getting it from the web.config. Where was Bob given authorization if not in the web.config? and why does IIS say its getting his name from there? Thanks coder316 <coder316@gmail.com> wrote in news:5cfaa057-2299-487f-a3f7- 3f7d4df40f14@27g2000yqr.googlegroups.com: > I just need some clarification: > I added a...

how do I transfer file from Clipboard to an e-mail message
How do I transfer a file from Outlook clipboard or C drive to the body of an e-mail message NOT as an attachment. thanks you would need to open the file and copy the contents. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter: EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOF...