Easiest way to insert multiple copied rows?

Version: 2004
Processor: Intel

Currently, I copy a row, right click and choose insert copied cells. <br>
0
kevs14

Try click in first cell to be Copied.
then locate the last cell to be copied and shift click.

then locate position you want to copy (could be another spread sheet)
click in first cell hit Command-V for Paste. three steps. how's that.

kevs14@officeformac.com wrote:
> Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor:
> Intel Currently, I copy a row, right click and choose insert copied cells.
> This works great but only works for copying one row below.
>
> What if I want to copy 2 or 3 rows below?
>
> I can find blank rows, copy them, and insert them and then do this, but
> that is real tedious.
>
> I wish there was a was to simply copy a row and hit some keystroke which
> would copy that row right below as many time as you click the keystroke.
> Does this exist? thanks!

mailto:pjones1@kimbanet.com
0
Phillip
4/24/2010 7:25:43 PM
Sorry left out a step or two:

1. click in first cell desired
2. shift click in last cell wanted
3. command-c  to copy. (Can paste to another Spreadsheet if you desire)
4. Select cell of desired location, Click.
5. Command-V for Paste.

kevs14@officeformac.com wrote:
> Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor:
> Intel Currently, I copy a row, right click and choose insert copied cells.
> This works great but only works for copying one row below.
>
> What if I want to copy 2 or 3 rows below?
>
> I can find blank rows, copy them, and insert them and then do this, but
> that is real tedious.
>
> I wish there was a was to simply copy a row and hit some keystroke which
> would copy that row right below as many time as you click the keystroke.
> Does this exist? thanks!

mailto:pjones1@kimbanet.com
0
Phillip
4/24/2010 7:35:37 PM
Phillip: that does not work for rows.  And as you know, inserting blocks
of cells leads to potential disaster as some columns but not others get
their existing cells moved down.

The problem is that Excel does not allow you to repeat  the "insert
copied row(s)" action.  It's a foolish deficiency.

All I can recommend is to start by selecting N rows at your intended
insertion point,  commanding "Insert rows,"  which will give you a bunch
of new blank rows, then Copy/Pasting the cells in the original source
row.

--
Team EM to the rescue!    http://www.team-em.com
0
 kevs14@officeformac.com wrote:

> Thanks Carl you are correct. <br>
> With Phillips method you delete the row you select to copy to. Actually I
> wish it would push down that target row, but it does not seem to, it just
> seems to delete it. crazy. <br><br>I know the insert row trick, but the
> problem is what if I have a workboork with 5000 rows? It's a real hassle to
> scroll all the way to the bottom just to get some blank rows.
> &quot;selecting N rows at your intended <br>
> insertion point, commanding &quot;Insert rows,&quot; which will give you a
> bunch <br>
> of new blank rows, then Copy/Pasting the cells in the original source <br>
> row.&quot; <br><br>Did not understand: N rows, what does that mean select N
> rows? <br>
> You mean select blank rows from bottom of the page right? <br><br>Also, how
> do you dismiss the clipboard which comes up and blocks cells from view?

Not that hard :-).   What I meant was:  suppose you want to insert  row
12 seven times just below row 30.   Then select rows 31 thru 37, and
grab the menu item that says "Insert rows."  That should create 7 new
blank rows between the original rows 30 and 31.    Then you can  copy /
paste the block of cells in row 12 into the new blank rows.

So far as that ^@#($*!@%$^  'helpful' clipboard floater,  I believe you
can right-click it (cmd-click)  and select some option not to have it
appear.

--
Team EM to the rescue!    http://www.team-em.com
0
Carl
4/25/2010 3:41:28 PM
The 'Insert Options' & 'Paste Options' buttons can be disabled in Excel>
Preferences - Edit... Just clear the checks. However, if you find the tools
to be useful at times you can also leave them checked but dismiss selective
instances of them by double-clicking a cell then pressing 'return'.

I'm still not clear on your objective... Are you actually copying cells/rows
which have content & paste it into multiple rows? Or are you just trying to
insert a number of empty rows? Since you've previously inquired about
*removing* duplicate records I'm assuming you mean the latter.

If my assumption is right, use the Row Headings (where the row numbers are �
not the cells) to select as many rows as you want to insert, then rt-click
one of those selected row numbers & choose the Insert command.

However, inserting rows is usually done because the user is trying to force
new records into a specific location in an existing list. Further, that
location is because the records have something in common. If that's the case
it makes a lot more sense to just add the new records at the bottom of the
list then sort the list.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 4/24/10 7:03 PM, in article 59bb76c7.3@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"kevs14@officeformac.com" <kevs14@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Thanks Carl you are correct.
> With Phillips method you delete the row you select to copy to. Actually I wish
> it would push down that target row, but it does not seem to, it just seems to
> delete it. crazy.
>
> I know the insert row trick, but the problem is what if I have a workboork
> with 5000 rows? It's a real hassle to scroll all the way to the bottom just to
> get some blank rows.
>
> Although I'm not sure I understood your solution:
> "selecting N rows at your intended
> insertion point, commanding "Insert rows," which will give you a bunch
> of new blank rows, then Copy/Pasting the cells in the original source
> row."
>
> Did not understand: N rows, what does that mean select N rows?
> You mean select blank rows from bottom of the page right?
>
> Also, how do you dismiss the clipboard which comes up and blocks cells from
> view?

0
CyberTaz
4/25/2010 5:15:38 PM
Carl, <br>
it this procedure inserts rows above, not below unfortunately, no?
0
kevs14
4/25/2010 5:22:16 PM
just add the new records at the bottom of the <br>
list then sort the list. <br><br>Thank you thank  you thank you!
0
yennta