Creating Multiple-Series Charts with as few steps as possible

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

Ed
0
ecl

------=_NextPart_000_0071_01CAAFC7.0DA0DFC0

Ed  -

Your data arrangement seems OK, i.e., labels in the left column and =
labels in the top row.

But, to achieve what you want, it is important that the top left cell of =
your selection be empty (Edit Clear Contents).

If so, the 3D Surface and 3D Column charts will use the left column and =
top row for axis labels.

And, if so, a Line chart will use the left column for the X axis and =
create separate data series for each of the other columns.

For an XY (Scatter) chart type, I arrange X data in a column on the left =
and Y data in an adjacent column on the right. Then I select only the =
data values, e.g., A2:B101, and insert an XY (Scatter) chart. I add axis =
titles later.

-  Mike
http://www.MikeMiddleton.com

  <ecl@officeformac.com> wrote in message =
  Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) =
Processor: Intel I routinely create charts with more than one series =
(e.g. several columns of data with x-axis labels in the first column and =
series names in the first row).=20

  I can't get Excel to automatically recognize my first column of data =
as the x-axis and the first row of data as either the legend labels or =
y-axis (in 3D charts like a surface chart). The way I think it should =
work is:=20

  1. I select the rectangle of data including x-axis labels in the first =
column and series names for the legend or y-axis (in 3D charts) in the =
first row.=20

  2. I click the Chart button and select any chart format (e.g. Line, =
Scatter, 3D Surface, etc...) and it automatically recognizes the 3 =
regions of data to create the chart.=20

  Anyone figured out how to do this without manually entering the data =
one series at a time or manually going to the Select Data dialog box and =
manually fixing every Series name and x-axis labels?=20

  Thx=20
  Ed
------=_NextPart_000_0071_01CAAFC7.0DA0DFC0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.7600.16490"></HEAD>
15px"=20
CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area">
<DIV><FONT face=3DCalibri>Ed&nbsp; -</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DCalibri></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DCalibri>Your data arrangement seems OK, i.e., labels =
in the left=20
column and labels in the top row.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DCalibri></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DCalibri>But, to achieve what you want, it is important =
that the=20
top left cell of your selection be empty (Edit Clear =
Contents).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DCalibri></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DCalibri>If so,&nbsp;the 3D Surface and 3D Column =
charts will use=20
the left column and top row for axis labels.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DCalibri></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DCalibri>And, if so, a Line chart will use the left =
column for=20
the X axis and create separate data series for each of the other=20
columns.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DCalibri></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DCalibri>For an XY (Scatter) chart type, I arrange X =
data in a=20
column on the left and Y data in an adjacent column on the right. Then I =
select=20
only the data values, e.g., A2:B101, and insert an XY (Scatter) chart. I =
add=20
axis titles later.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DCalibri></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DCalibri>-&nbsp; Mike</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DCalibri><A=20
href=3D"http://www.MikeMiddleton.com">http://www.MikeMiddleton.com</A></F=
ONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DCalibri></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DCalibri></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>&lt;<A=20
  title=3D"mailto:ecl@officeformac.com&#10;CTRL + Click to follow link"=20
  href=3D"mailto:ecl@officeformac.com">ecl@officeformac.com</A>&gt; =
wrote in=20
  message <A=20
  title=3D"news:59bb300f.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0&#10;CTRL + Click to =
follow link"=20
  =
href=3D"news:59bb300f.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0">news:59bb300f.-1@webcro=
ssing.JaKIaxP2ac0</A>...</DIV>Version:=20
  2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I =

  routinely create charts with more than one series (e.g. several =
columns of=20
  data with x-axis labels in the first column and series names in the =
first=20
  row). <BR><BR>I can't get Excel to automatically recognize my first =
column of=20
  data as the x-axis and the first row of data as either the legend =
labels or=20
  y-axis (in 3D charts like a surface chart). The way I think it should =
work is:=20
  <BR><BR>1. I select the rectangle of data including x-axis labels in =
the first=20
  column and series names for the legend or y-axis (in 3D charts) in the =
first=20
  row. <BR><BR>2. I click the Chart button and select any chart format =
(e.g.=20
  Line, Scatter, 3D Surface, etc...) and it automatically recognizes the =
3=20
  regions of data to create the chart. <BR><BR>Anyone figured out how to =
do this=20
  without manually entering the data one series at a time or manually =
going to=20
  the Select Data dialog box and manually fixing every Series name and =
x-axis=20
  labels? <BR><BR>Thx <BR>Ed</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0071_01CAAFC7.0DA0DFC0--

0
Mike
2/17/2010 7:47:57 PM
okay, thanks, that must be the problem, since I usually generate the data using the Data:Table... function. <br><br>Of course to use Excel's 2D Data:Table... function that corner cell is never empty. I guess the folks working on the Charts part of the software development didn't talk to the developers working on the Data part of the software development. Bummer!
0
ecl

------=_NextPart_000_0037_01CAAFE4.99546650

Ed  -

My workaround is to Copy the two-variable data table, Paste Special =
Values, and Clear the top left cell. Then create the 3-D chart.

Step-by-step instructions are on page 26 of  "Sensitivity Analysis Using =
Excel," available as a free PDF download from the Chapters web page at =
http://www.treeplan.com.

-  Mike
http://www.MikeMiddleton.com

  <ecl@officeformac.com> wrote in message =
  okay, thanks, that must be the problem, since I usually generate the =
data using the Data:Table... function.=20

  Of course to use Excel's 2D Data:Table... function that corner cell is =
never empty. I guess the folks working on the Charts part of the =
software development didn't talk to the developers working on the Data =
part of the software development. Bummer!
------=_NextPart_000_0037_01CAAFE4.99546650

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.7600.16490"></HEAD>
15px"=20
CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area">
<DIV><FONT face=3DCalibri>Ed&nbsp; -</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DCalibri></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DCalibri>My workaround is to Copy the two-variable data =
table,=20
Paste Special Values, and Clear the top left cell. Then create the 3-D=20
chart.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DCalibri></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DCalibri>Step-by-step instructions are&nbsp;on page 26 =
of=20
&nbsp;"Sensitivity Analysis Using Excel," available as a free PDF =
download from=20
the Chapters web page at <A=20
href=3D"http://www.treeplan.com">http://www.treeplan.com</A>.</FONT></DIV=

<DIV><FONT face=3DCalibri></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DCalibri>-&nbsp; Mike</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DCalibri><A=20
href=3D"http://www.MikeMiddleton.com">http://www.MikeMiddleton.com</A></F=
ONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DCalibri></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>&lt;<A =
href=3D"mailto:ecl@officeformac.com">ecl@officeformac.com</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message <A=20
  title=3D"news:59bb300f.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0&#10;CTRL + Click to =
follow link"=20
  =
href=3D"news:59bb300f.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0">news:59bb300f.1@webcross=
ing.JaKIaxP2ac0</A>...</DIV>okay,=20
  thanks, that must be the problem, since I usually generate the data =
using the=20
  Data:Table... function. <BR><BR>Of course to use Excel's 2D =
Data:Table...=20
  function that corner cell is never empty. I guess the folks working on =
the=20
  Charts part of the software development didn't talk to the developers =
working=20
  on the Data part of the software development. =
Bummer!</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0037_01CAAFE4.99546650--

0
Mike

Edit or Create a Partylist Lookup field
I have an issue - we have Cytrack running between our AVAYA phones and CRM 4.0 and I have enable the option that when a call comes through it opens a Phone Call activity and it automatically connects to the contact for the person calling in. Great except while we have all cleitns in as contacts - we also have clients either in as a Lead or an Opportunity when we are doign current business and I want to change the phone call activity recipient. I can do this but it comes up a "Look Up Records" screen and you havea drop down list to pick what entity you wish to locate the cl...

How to create a task view where completed tasks are omitted
Hello out there! I'm trying to create a task view where my hundreds of 'completed tasks' are omitted - leaving all other tasks that have yet to be completed. I've searched help and rung the customer support line but to no avail. Anyone know how? Would be much appreciated. Paul Create a custom view of your Tasks folder with a filter that says "Completed equals no" (you will find this on the Advanced tab when you click the Filter button). -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the...

Multiple portfolios?
I am testing a trial version of Money 2004 before buying. I'd like to find out from someone if Money allows you to set up multiple portfolios with different investment accounts - all I've been able to do is all the accounts shown in one portfolio, which since there are different investment goals and time horizons is pretty meaningless. Also wonder if anyone knows if you can override the asset allocation tool and input your own allocation, specifically, different target allocations for each portfolio, and whether you can add additional asset classes. many thanks. Thanks for...

Create Template
Hi i am new with Outlook How can i crate a Template so that when i send mail it should go my Co. logo and address evey time to other. pls help. Shital In news:13072DF7-B1A1-4ED3-8E94-4128335F3992@microsoft.com, shital shah <shitalshah@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > Hi i am new with Outlook > How can i crate a Template so that when i send mail it should go my > Co. logo and address evey time to other. > > pls help. > > Shital I don't understand. Are you saying you want an e-mail signature automatically put at the bottom of your messages? Please provi...

chart formatted for Weeks, not Days
I am trying to graph some data in Excel 2002 SP3. Column A contains dates (1 date every 7 days) and Columns B through Z the actual data. On my graph I wish to change to eliminate the extra spaces between data points because every day is displayed, not just the weekly dates entered. The only options in the Format Axis I can find are Days, Months, Years. Where is the Weekly option ? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks ! ...

Training registration: how to pick multiple entries for one course
A client is currently using a QBF to select an employee to register for a training class. Now, we want to allow for multiple employees to be selected to register them at the same time for one class. Looking for examples, sample code, or even a basic layout of how to approach this change. Thank you in advance for your help, Dawn -- Dawn Bjork Buzbee On Tue, 29 May 2007 09:05:00 -0700, Dawn Bjork Buzbee <DawnBjorkBuzbee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >A client is currently using a QBF to select an employee to register for a >training class. Now, we want to allow for multip...

Chart Legend #3
I have Line charts on various sheets. The charts are identical in size. There are 12 items graphed on each chart. However, the legend on each of the charts seems to be displaying different numbers of charted items. I'm not sure how to explain this clearly. On one chart's legend, it might show 12 items (three columns with four items each), which is correct. Another chart's legend may only show 2 columns totally only eight items (it should be 12). I even have one chart's legend showing only 4 items (as if it is only one column displaying). I can't figure out what...

Creating CRM Users 02-22-05
HI, Thanks for your response. No there are no strange characters, the two names are John Phillips and Steve McDonagh. These two users have been added to our pilot CRM system, which is independent of this live version, with out any problems. Cheers Ben can you try add a user through the web interface to see if that works? -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mscrmfaq.us "Ben Smallwood" <bsmallwo@softhome.net> wrote in message news:de61721b.0502220242.48137f63@posting.google.com... > HI, > Thanks for your response. No there are no strange characters...

Adding multiple items in unordered data to match a target amount
I have 3 columns of data - invoiced amounts (A), banked amounts (B) and commission charged (C). A = B + C For each B, there is one C. However, there can be multiple items in A for one item of B + C. Further, the rules for how commission is charged varies by amounts sold; I cannot calculate C by reference to A or B (individually) with any level of accuracy. I'm therefore looking for a way of selecting 1 or multiple items in column B, adding them to 1 or multiple items in column C and tracing this to 1 or multiple items in column A. Help would be gratefully received. ...

Multiple Email Addresses
I have a contact with multiple email addresses (2 addresses). When I address an email message to this person, as I type in her name my automatic name lookup puts an email address in for her that isn't in my personal address book or contact list. It is a valid email address for her, but one that I don't want to use. I only want to pick from the 2 addresses that are in my personal address book and contact list. So, where is Outlook coming up with this 3rd address and how do I delete it so that Outlook doesn't use it anymore? OL doesn't look up to contacts for 'au...

A question regarding coordinates of points within a chart
Can anyone explain how x-y coordinates for points within a chart can be accessed via a mousemove event? I realize this will require quite a bit of coding, but I would like a little comment box to appear for any given point on an X-Y scatter I have. The data set consists of around 27000 points, and I would like the mousemove event to trigger a lookup into a table that contains a fairly lengthy descripion of each point. Wazooli Wazooli, Take a look at Jon Peltier's article on chart events . . . http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=221 then, take a look at this post ...

Bubble Charts
Does anyone know if the bubble chart default shape of circle can be modified to other shapes (i.e. triangle, square)? The flexibility to present different shapes could be useful when presenting two series on the same chart. For example, one series could be the default circle, another a triangle. I have seen this capability in other applications with advanced charting capabilities. I am using Excel 2003. Regards, Joel Hi, Yes you can change the shape. To do so you need to use a custom marker. Create a shape using the autoshapes menu. Format the shape in terms of colour and border. Copy...

Trendline erases chart name
When I add a trendline, the chart name gets changed to "Chart Title." The name can be seen in the Chart Objects drop box, if I scroll down enough. When I add the tendline, I'm leaving the Chart Title box marked as automatic, but it still replaces the name to Chart Title. (The name on my charts just comes from the data field that is above numerical data when I create the chart.) I have a lot of charts to go through, >100, so any help in retaining the name without having to retype it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! I cannot think how this can happen. Email me the fi...

Run query or report from multiple tables
I have three tables: Equipment Instruments System Numbers Each record in the tables 'equipment' and 'instruments' has three lookup fields that link to fields to the 'system numbers' table.' How can I create a query or report that lists all records contained within the equipment and instruments tables that are linked to the system numbers table? On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 21:20:01 -0800, Sim <Sim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have three tables: > >Equipment >Instruments >System Numbers > >Each record in the tables 'equipment'...

Advice or tutorial on creating variables from clkipboard contents
Where can I find advice or a tutorial for creating a variable from selected cell contents, i.e. from the clipboard content. I have a relative macro that captures a string from one worksheet and searches for the string in a second worksheet. On finding the string in the second sheet, it returns to the first sheet and picks up the sting in an adjacent cell and returns to the second sheet and pastes the second string into a cell adjacent to the 'found' cell. The macro then returns to the first sheet and moves down one row, preparatory to repeating the capture/switch/search/ etc routi...

How do I create a secondary free/busy replica??
Hi, I just ran Exchange Best Practices Analyzer and it recommends creating a secondary free/busy replica. I double click tell me more but I just want a quick and easy way to creat this secondary free/busy replica. Can anyone give me instructions please? Thanks, TKE402 First, you have to have more than one Exchange server with a public folder store on it. Next, locate your Public Folder hierachy in Exchange System Manager, right click on public folders and choose View System Folders. Then, locate the Schedule + Free and Busy folder, right click on it to display it's propert...

Creating a Dropsource correctly.
Hello, I've got a custom control within a dialog that I'm using for previewing bitmaps. I also need for it to act as a drop target and drop source. I've got the drop target part working, but am still having some issues with the drop source part. Here's what a I've got so far... (Note: This happens on a Ctrl+WM_LBUTTONDOWN) COleDataSource* pDataSource = NULL; pDataSource = new COleDataSource; pDataSource->CacheGlobalData ( CF_BITMAP, copiedImage ); pDataSource->DoDragDrop ( DROPEFFECT_COPY ) ); The issue I'm having is th...

Saving changes to a previously created template
Hi I am having a frustrating time updating my paperwork to bring it all up to date, please read below. firstly create your would be template save as - name.dot or .dotx then close the template and close word down. open word open the template you just created make changes to template at this point this is where I have a problem! try and save the template with the changes with the same name I get a message saying Word cannot give a document the same name as an open document, Type a different name for the document you want to save. this worked perfectly fine in office 2003...

Multiple date parameters
I have three queries: MonthlyAll, MonthlyShows, and MonthlySpots. My main form is built off of MonthlyAll. It's main purpose is to provide a list of cities in a single form view, so that I can scroll through the cities and view the corresponding data. The main form contains two subforms: MonthlyShows and MonthlySpots. The subforms are linked to the main form by city and display the respective shows and spots by date. My question seems simple enough: Upon opening the form, I would like to type in a single date range ("Between [] And []"); and view only those shows and ...

Copying Multiple Cells to One Cells
Copying multiple cells into one cell as a summary. Eg I have a list of items in seperate cells in one worksheet and wish to summarise them in another worksheet in one cell. Can this be done =B2&C2&D2&E2 Will concatenate the value contained in the individual cells B2,C2,D2 and E2. You can also use concatenate(B2,C2,D2,E2) unlikeKansas "Chas" wrote: > Copying multiple cells into one cell as a summary. Eg I > have a list of items in seperate cells in one worksheet > and wish to summarise them in another worksheet in one > cell. Can this be done &g...

How to create a hyperlink to a graph sheet
My xls file contains a "menu" sheet with hyperlinks to shees in the workbook. Some sheets are graphs sheets. I couldnt set an hyperlink for the graph sheet. Can it be done without a macro? Workaround:Place the chart on an otherwise empty worksheet and link to this. best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Ruti" <Ruti@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7D96DF2B-0844-4665-B836-91781EC2C626@microsoft.com... > My xls file contains a "menu" sheet with hyperlinks to shees in the > workbook. &g...

Excel Web Service - Multiple Pivot Charts
Hi, I have an Excel2007 dashboard, which contains more than 5 pivot charts. Its a testing dashboard, which has got several defect metrics based on same data source. I am publishing these pivot charts to Sharepoint using excel web service. Currently I need to fiter all pivots one by one to see the charts for different parameter. something like (if I need to select the defects for different releases, i select them one by one in all pivots). I know, i can create a simple macro to trigger updates to all pivots. But the problem I am facing is - After I publish the pivot charts to Sharepoint. Mac...

Chart
Is it possible to change the width of the text box for 'Category Name' within the data label on a chart? I have Category Names which are very long and need to be 'word wrapped', but I cannot change the width of the text box or find a 'word wrap' option for this. Formatting is important as I also need to display the Value, so hard-coding the label is not an option Hi, Chart data labels are not sizable, even if the handles around them would suggest otherwise. You maybe able to get the breaks in the text you want at fixed places by using ALT+ENTER within the cel...

I want to create a document that looks like notebook paper?
This newsgroup is for questions about Access, the database product that's part of Office Professional. From your use of the word "document", I'm guessing that your question is related to Word, not Access. I'd recommend you repost your question to a newsgroup related to Word. When you repost, I'd recommend that you use the empty space to put some details, rather than simply posting a subject line. Information such as what version of Word you're using, and what operating system, can be useful to the responder. You might also indicate what exactly you mean ...

Multiple Instances of Same Company in drop down box
When we log in after a GP9 upgrade, we have one company that shows up in the drop down box multiple times. All 3 versions take you to the exact same company but we don't need it displayed 3 times. Does anyone know how to remove the entries. What table they are found in? Thanks Bee It sounds like that in the past, multiple companies existed and were not completely removed. This sometimes leaves extra records in the Sy01500 table in the Dynamics db. MAKE A BACKUP! first Open the table in Enterprise Manager or SQL Server Management Studio. Look for extra lines (there should be o...