Conditional Formatting "Duplicate Values"

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

I am using Excel to enter pipe numbers, on my PC I can use duplicate values to highlight the cell if a duplicate value is entered. Unfortunately I have not been able to figure out how to do this in EXCEL 2008 on my MAC.
0
joriep1

Not enough detail to answer.

Basically, you do it the same in Excel 2008 as you do on the PC.  Search for
"duplicate" in the Excel Help and it shows two techniques.

Give me more detail on what you need and we can be more help.

On 6/06/10 12:45 PM, in article 59bb96fd.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"joriep1@officeformac.com" <joriep1@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I am using Excel to enter pipe numbers, on my PC I can use duplicate values to
> highlight the cell if a duplicate value is entered. Unfortunately I have not
> been able to figure out how to do this in EXCEL 2008 on my MAC.

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John_McGhie_
6/6/2010 8:18:54 AM
Let me try this again <br>
I use excel to manage pipe ID numbers. <br>
These numbers are received from 6 separate pipe yards. <br>
I have all ID numbers in a column where I want to identify if I have entered a duplicate value/ID number by using conditional formatting highlighted cell rule, duplicate values. <br>
In Excel 2008 under conditional formatting there is no selection for Highlighted Cell Rules, Duplicate Values. There is equal to, greater than, less than etc. <br>
I would like to know if there is a way to identify (highlighted cell) if I enter a duplicate value by having Excel identify this and warn me I already have this value in this column. <br>
On my PC I have Excel 2007 which has the option to select duplicate values. If this is possible in Excel 2008 please advise how to do it because I can not find it. <br>
> Basically, you do it the same in Excel 2008 as you do on the PC.  Search for <br>
> &quot;duplicate&quot; in the Excel Help and it shows two techniques. <br>
> Give me more detail on what you need and we can be more help. <br>
> On 6/06/10 12:45 PM, in article 59bb96fd.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, <br>
> &quot;joriep1@officeformac.com&quot;  wrote: <br>
> > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel <br>
> > I am using Excel to enter pipe numbers, on my PC I can use duplicate values to <br>
> > highlight the cell if a duplicate value is entered. Unfortunately I have not <br>
> > been able to figure out how to do this in EXCEL 2008 on my MAC. <br>
>  -- <br>
> The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum <br>
> matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay! <br>
> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer, <br>
> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd <br>
> Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 | mailto:john@mcghie.name <br>

0
joriep1

StringMap duplicate values
Hi, Someone kown why I find duplicate values on StrinMap Table and It is possible resolve that problem Thanks What are you considering duplicate values? There are several columns that make each entry "unique". You need to include the ObjectType in your join criteria as the same list of values may appear for the same attribute on another object. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "Katyc" <Katyc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:05C130B7-527C-4F8F-AE91-12C41093D9D2@microsoft.com... Hi, Someone kown why I find duplicate values on StrinMap Table...

removing duplicate values from a column
It sounds so simple that I must be overlooking the obvious answer, but I can't seem to find a way to remove duplicate values from a column. The case is simple: I have 600+ emailaddresses in column A, sorted alphabetically and there's a bunch of duplicate addresses in there (some of 'em occur up to 7 times!!). Instead of manually running through the whole list, removing the duplicates, there MUST be some soft of filter/function in excel to do this for me... Could anyone PLEASE help me with this!?!? Cheers! -- NOTE: remove the spamtrap from the emailaddress Jops, Select the em...

Check for Duplicate Values on Form to Edit Them
Hello all, I have a problem with updating on my form. I have a form, TrainingHistory, that is linked to a table by the same name. There are three fields showing: FullName, ClassName, and DateTaken. For each person, I am only interested in the MOST RECENT date they took any given class. So what I want is to be able to enter a name and class, and have Access check the table for this combination of name and class. If such an entry already does exist, I would like the form to bring up that entry, and that entry alone, for editing of the date. There should also be a message explaining what ju...

Scatterplot Duplicate Values Charting Help (URGENT!!!) GMAIL invite offer inside
Sorry to be so rude in the title but I'm making a scatterplot in Exce and I have XY values like (1,4), (1,3.5), and (1,4). When I plot the with the scatterplot wizard, the (1,4)s are indistinguishable. I'd lik Excel to differentiate them. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I'l throw in a gmail invite for anyone who can do this for me. . I've bee using Photoshop to paste numbers next to the points and this is reall tedious. THANKS -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Two methods employing datalabels come to mind. The first replaces the normal marker with a co...

MS Excel Function (Find Duplicate values)
I am working on a huge worksheet which contains items master in column A. I am trying to find duplicate values for item numbers, if any. To find duplicates i normally use to follwoing formula Column A Column B Formula 100 True Countif(A:A,A2)>1 100 True Countif(A:A,A3)>1 Brown True Countif(A:A,A4)>1 Brown True Countif(A:A,A5)>1 200 False Countif(A:A,A6)>1 The above fo...

How do I eliminate duplicate values in a series of data in excel?
see http://cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm In article <67F30DC1-DA2D-4144-8C9A-99793AD92302@microsoft.com>, "dparker" <dparker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: ...

highlighting duplicate values in a column
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel For a probability class that I am taking the assignment is to computer simulate birthdays. I have the random numbers in each column for 20 people but now I need to know how to highlight duplicate values (in this case any number between 1 and 365) to determine the probability of 2 or more people sharing the same birthday. I am to complete the simulation for 25, 50, 75, 100, 500 and 1000 randomly selected people. I need to know the steps to highlight the duplicte numbers in each row. My directions are for xcel 2007...

Highlighting duplicate values in a column
Our department is involved in project managing office moves. The moving department is given an excel 2002 spreadsheet and they fill out the names of the people moving (column A) along with their extension number (column B). I would like it to pop up a message if an extension number is entered and is a duplicate of one already entered, giving the person's name it's duplicated with. Any help would be gratefully received TIA Rather than pop up a message, how about if you set the conditional formatting for the cells in column B to highlight if a duplicate extension is entered? Set co...

how to sum up qty totals for non-duplicate values ?
Hi, Do you know in EXCEL how can I sum up the total Order Qty base on only the "unique" PartNumber ? Any help is very much appreciated. Thank you. Any help is very much appreciated. Thank you. PartNumber unique/duplicate PN? Order Qty Total Order Qty 7050905500 unique 2 10 7050905500 duplicata 3 7050905500 duplicate 5 7051605400 unique 1 1 0010-01419 unique 4 8 0010-01419 duplicate 4 ----------...

How do I eliminate duplicate values on y axis of an Excel chart?
I've created a simple line chart with smoothing. The chart has two data series. The chart looks fine except that the Y axis has each value duplicated. Paul, this might be due to a number format which shows no decimal digits but a major tick spacing of 0.5. Excel wants ticks at 0, 0.5, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, and 3, but the number format forces them to 0, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3. Change either the tick spacing or the number format to make it right. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Paul wrote: ...

Duplicate values #2
What formula will work to get all cell references of duplicate values(numeric or text) in a range(non-blank)? Hi Tungana, Pls try this =IF(COUNTIF(a$5:$a9,G9)>1,"Duplicate","") "TUNGANA KURMA RAJU" wrote: > What formula will work to get all cell references of duplicate > values(numeric or text) in a range(non-blank)? =IF(COUNTIF(a$5:$a9,a5)>1,"Duplicate","") and dragdown "Anirudh" wrote: > Hi Tungana, > > Pls try this > > =IF(COUNTIF(a$5:$a9,G9)>1,"Duplicate","") > ...

Insert Query skipping duplicate values
I have two tables -Individuals -Participation Participation table has two fields IndividualID - related to the Individual table ParticipationCode it's a one to many relationship where the participation table has a complex/dual primary key (the ID and the Code) I need to run an insert query that will insert a participation code for an individual ONLY if they do not have that code already (because of the complex/dual key) any ideas? Thanks in advance. Chris Well, if you have made the primary key those two fields, then you won't be able to add any existing combination - you wil...

Need Help Remove Duplicate Values In Array ?
I have recently found a function on the interent that will remove duplicate values within any array. It works just fine for a single dimensional array but I would like to edit and change the code to work for Multi-Dimensional array to support a minimum of 2 dimentional arrays. I only need it to find any duplicate values within the first dimension of the array and than remove any values corisponding to the same element number that the duplicate value was found in the 1st dimention of the array and remove them from the 2nd and 3rd dimention of the array as well. For example: My...

How to Flag duplicate values in column
I'm wondering how search for and flag duplicates in a column of data. Basically what I'd like to do is create a formula that looks at the value in an adjacent cell and tells me that value exists anywhere else in the column of values eg something like... =if(E3 exists somewhere else in column E), E3,"") anyway to do this with just a formula? TimeTraveller Hi Ruth Try =IF(COUNTIF(E:E,E3)>1,E3,"") -- Regards Roger Govier "Ruth" <nowhere@null.net> wrote in message news:HgUmj.16094$ow.13857@pd7urf1no... > I'm wondering how search...

Sort by Large, Offset from Match, Duplicate values problem
Heya all, I have a large list of dynamic data, which I am organizing in different ways. I realize this can all be done in PivotTables, but we have to do this the olde fashioned way. The table I am drawing the info from looks roughly like this: Worksheet: DATA Player Buy-In Cash-Out Difference # Times entered Joe SHMOE $930 $900 $30 1 Sam DOG $0 $0 $0 0 Peter BLAH $100 $1000 $900 22 Doug FINN $500 $0 $500 22 I am using =LARGE, =SMALL on the columns to sort the data, and then MATCH...

vlookup for words content when there are duplicate values
Hi, Can somebody help me here. Thanks in advance. When I vlookup Material 1 to Material 2 for the Project No, I get the vlookup Project No. as 222-56 for all the duplicate Material values. How formula to use so that when there are duplicate values in Material2, I want to have vlookup searching to match Project No. containg "AA" as 1st choice ? (if no Project No. containing "AA", then looks for its content "AB" and subsequently looks for "AC" if there is no "AB"). ColumnA ColumnB ColumnC Material 2 Duplicate? Project No. 224410 duplica...

checking duplicate values on data entry
Dear all, In my table design,Because I need to accept No value , I can not use NO duplicate index for my field , but I shouldn't let duplicate values in it. to develop the need I check the value in the data entry form using "Find first" of the record set. On my own computer it is OK and no duplicate value can be entered. but users CAN add duplcate value.(mine is office xp but some use office2003). what should I check? and if there are better solutions please let me know. tnx in advance. The version of Access should make no difference. How are you using FindFirst a...

COUNT while eliminating duplicate values
I am trying to get a count for the number of employees in a range but want to eliminate duplicate values. Does anyone know the easiest wa to accomplish this ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com One way: http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip061.htm HTH Jason Atlanta,GA >-----Original Message----- > >I am trying to get a count for the number of employees in a range but I >want to eliminate duplicate values. Does anyone know the easiest way &g...

duplicate values
Hi I need to find and list (or change color of the row) all values which are duplicated in Col B. How to do this? s. Hi, try =COUNTIF($B$1:$b$100,B1)>1 as your conditional formatting formula. Or put the formula into a separate column and format based on TRUE teylyn soonic;646929 Wrote: > Hi > > I need to find and list (or change color of the row) all values which are > duplicated in Col B. How to do this? > > s. -- teylyn Teylyn -- 'teylyn.posterous.com' (http://teylyn.posterous.com) --------------------...

Display only duplicate values and delete UNIQUE Items #2
I have large excel file - which has duplicate items in, I would like to compare col A and Col B and if any of the items in apear in that combination anywhere else in the colums then i want either a helper col to show its is a duplicate or to highlight it in a different colour. Ideally as as this will be done by may people ( who will not follow instructions on how to do this ) i would like for them to just open up a file and then press on a button .... Eg: A | B| Help Col 1 | 5 | Duplicate 2 | 6 | 3 | 7 | 4 | 9 | 1 | 5 | Duplicate 1 | 5 | Duplicate Any suggestions? I can suggest a way to...

How do I do count calculations ignoring duplicate values
I have a calculation which is roughly "=count(if(A1:A100=F5,B1:B100)" where F5 is a set value, column A is a list of values and column B is a list of dates. I need the calculation to count the number of dates, but if the date is duplicated I need the calculation to recognise its value only once. Ensure that the data is sorted in date order. Add a helper column (P, say) and in P2put =if(O2=O1 then 1,"") and copy this down. A duplicate date will then have a 1 against it. You can then either use Autofilter to view those with a blank in P (remember that the Autosum value i...

consolidating duplicate values and summing their corresponding val
I have rows of data divided into counties with tonnage amounts in a cooresponding cell. I need to have one row for each county, and the tonnage for each separate one summed. Here is an example of what I mean.... State County Tons Commodity LA ACADIA 1.5 AMMONIUM NITRATE LA ACADIA 21.82 AMMONIUM NITRATE LA ACADIA 0.3 AMMONIUM NITRATE LA ACADIA 414.85 AMMONIUM NITRATE LA ACADIA 9.1 AMMONIUM NITRATE LA ACADIA 2.23 AMMONIUM NITRATE LA ACADIA 38.73 AMMONIUM NITRATE LA ACADIA 5809.16 AMMONIUM NITRATE LA ACADIA 50.65 AMMONIUM NITRATE So it should read: LA ...

Duplicate values in the index, primary key, or relationship messag
After entering a new record into the table, the error message, "changes were not successful because they would create duplicate values in the index, primary key, or relationship appears". However, the table the new record was entered into is designed to have duplicate values indexed while the autonumber field is the primary key. It is related to a table. The relationship is one to many. The table the new records are being entered into is the many side of the realtionship that allows for duplicate values. Not sure if this is enough information, but any help or insig...

Finding Duplicate Values
I need to find duplicate values within the same column. I see how to remove duplicates, but that is not what I need to do. I want to find the duplicates so that I can have those duplicate records corrected. Found one solution myself: Conditional Formating. I'm still interested in different solutions if there are any. Thanks "Spencer" <res19twi@verizon.net> wrote in message news:Wc91i.445$w51.78@trndny09... >I need to find duplicate values within the same column. I see how to >remove duplicates, but that is not what I need to do. I want to find the >...

can i not allow duplicate values in the same column?
is there a way to set columns to not accept duplicate information? Take a look at http://cpearson.com/excel/NoDupEntry.htm In article <4765FB37-8F89-4220-A901-B289FDCDE23F@microsoft.com>, excel newbie <excel newbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > is there a way to set columns to not accept duplicate information? If the values are typed in you can use this: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/NoDupEntry.htm Regards, Peo Sjoblom "excel newbie" wrote: > is there a way to set columns to not accept duplicate information? ...