Lets say I type &quot;a b c d&quot; into a cell.  Is there a way I can place the cursor between &quot;a&quot; and &quot;b&quot; and then cause only &quot;a&quot; to remain in the original cell while &quot;b c d&quot; move to a new cell? <br><br>Thanks!
0
Dwade01

On 2010-05-27 12:53:39 -0400, Dwade01@officeformac.com said:

> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor:
> Intel Lets say I type "a b c d" into a cell. Is there a way I can place
> the cursor between "a" and "b" and then cause only "a" to remain in the
> original cell while "b c d" move to a new cell?
>
> Thanks!

Do you mean other than drag to the right and Cut, and then paste nto a
new cell? If you always want the characters after the first character,
you can do it with a formula. If you want something activated based on
the cursor locatin, you can't even do that in VBA (if VBA were present).
--
bobg@nospam.com

0
No
5/27/2010 6:46:46 PM
"Let's say" you disclose exactly what the data is & what you specifically
need to do with it rather than this hypothetical example :-) Perhaps there
possible ways to get it done, but it depends on a number of factors. Based
on what you've disclosed, BobG is correct. There is no option for causing
cell content - in whole or in part - to arbitrarily jump to another cell.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 5/27/10 12:53 PM, in article 59bb910b.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Dwade01@officeformac.com" <Dwade01@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Lets say I type "a b c d" into a cell.  Is there a way I can place the cursor
> between "a" and "b" and then cause only "a" to remain in the original cell
> while "b c d" move to a new cell?
>
> Thanks!

0
CyberTaz
5/27/2010 7:40:32 PM
Haha, I'm grabbing list of animals off of pdfs and placing them in excel cells.  What's happening is the lists paste into one cell instead of multiple cells.  So I was hoping to learn a way to rapidly place each animal species into its own cell. <br><br>I'll be more specific next time!
0
Dwade01
5/27/2010 8:50:45 PM
Well, that may make all the difference in the world -- what you're now
describing is actually quite different from your first example.

Try using Data> Text to Columns. Depending on further specifics about these
'lists' & how the items actually are separated it may just do the trick.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 5/27/10 4:50 PM, in article 59bb910b.2@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Dwade01@officeformac.com" <Dwade01@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Haha, I'm grabbing list of animals off of pdfs and placing them in excel
> cells.  What's happening is the lists paste into one cell instead of multiple
> cells.  So I was hoping to learn a way to rapidly place each animal species
> into its own cell.
>
> I'll be more specific next time!

0
CyberTaz
5/27/2010 9:13:09 PM
Thanks that worked great at first.  I copied a paragraph of animals names separated by comas and used Data>Text to Columns to pasted each animal species into a separate cell along one row.  Exactly what I wanted.  But then some how Excel started pasting the species to multiple rows instead of just one.  Can you help me out?
0
Dwade01

How do I delete a text box from an Excel spreadsheet?
Rightclick on it and select cut If the textbox is from the control toolbox toolbar, you may have to click on the designmode icon first. Uncle Binky wrote: -- Dave Peterson ...

Custom reports/queries across multiple companies in Business Porta
Is there any way to create a custom query or report that can be run inside Business Portal and which pulls figures from multiple Great Plains companies. Thank you. A View can be constructed in one database that pulls data from other databases. This view can then be used as the source for reports in tools like Crystal etc -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at http://www.AccoladePublications.com "KT" wrote: > Is there any way to create a custom query or report th...

Changing text size
Hi, We enter all our customers in our database in all caps (text) for the names, and addresses. But when you put in the zip code and the database auto finds the town and state it is put in upper, and lower case. Is there a way to change this default to all caps for the auto fill. I am experienced in editing xml. files ( just a note) Any help would be appreciated.....Dennis No, there's no way to change that in the front end, that's something that is happening at display time and is meant to make the data more readable. You could enter a suggestion on Customer Sou...

Changing the Tooltip text in an SDI Toolbar
I've been trying to find a way to change the tootip info for a toolbar. Currently, I've tried getting the toolbar CToolBarCtrl and CToolTipCtrl objects but haven't been able to figure out what to do with them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Ken If you are talking about tooltip info of a particular button on a toolbar, change it in resource editor by double clicking on the button and changing the text that appears at the bottom of the dialog. Text that appears before \n is tootip. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "Ken Slight" <kslight@char...

importing multiple text files???
Hi, I am experiencing a big problem. As a part of my analysis for PhD I have to analyze more then 1000 files. The data that I have is in text files. To be more precise, I have 5 different data sets, from different meteo centres, each centre has a data set of 365 files for each day during the year. The format of text files is something as following: Camborne Met. Office WINDS rev 4.1 50.20 -5.30 88 02 01 01 00 00 23 0 29 3 35 07:09 (3.0) 07:09 (3.0) 06:08 (3.0) 284 284 65 65 400 400 23 23 12.5 12.5 1 1500 1500 35 35 400 400 43 90.0 43 74.5 313 74.5 HT SPD DIR Radials... 0.101 9.8 113 0.0...

How to see calculation and heading in same cell.
I would like the cell to perform a calculation and then display the answer as will as a heading. In other words the answer and the heading will appear in the same cell. Perhaps you mean something like ="Heading Name: "&A1+B1 ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Jeracho" <Jeracho@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F34BACB9-E2DA-448A-924D-46A475F98F91@microsoft.com... > I would like the cell to perform a calculation and then display the answer as > will as a heading. In other words the answer and the heading will appear in...

Multiple colors transparent in picture-HOW?
I am trying to make multiple areas of a picture partially transparent, but am unable to in Publisher. What programs would allow me to make this change? If it is a bitmap, i.e. jpg, bmp and others, you need to use a photo editing program. If it is a vector (.wmf) you can ungroup the image, select the area you want partially transparent, right-click, click format object. This link will take you to Paint.NET, it is a pretty good free program. http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/index.html -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com ...

data validation
Is it possible to create a similar function like data validation, from which I can select multiple options? (Background: I need a list of many names, from which I case by case can select). Not really. Maybe you could use a listbox. I added a listbox from the Forms toolbar to a worksheet. I called it "List Box 1". I rightclicked on that listbox and chose Format Control. On the Control tab, I chose Selection Type of Multi. I also pointed at the range that held the values that go in that listbox. Then I added a button from the Forms toolbar (I click the button when I'm d...

Multiple IF statement not working
I have numbers in cells b2, d2,e2, and f2. I am trying to write statment that will increment number in cell b2 by one for each cell (d2, e2, f2) that is greater than or equal to one. The following formula will not work if more than one cell (d2, e2, f2) has a zero in it: =IF(AND(D2>=1,E2>=1,F2>=1),B2+3,IF(OR(D2=0,E2=0,F2=0),B2+2,IF(AND (D2=0,E2=0),B2+1,IF(AND(D2=0,F2=0),B2+1,IF(AND(E2=0,F2=0),B2+1,))))) Does anyone know why? Try this =B2+COUNTIF(D2:F2,">=1") -- Wag more, bark less "Anthony" wrote: > I have numbers in cells b2, d...

Coping part of a cell content into a seperate cell
Hi I have two cells, one containing first and middle name and another one with surname. I want to combine the first name and surname into a separate cell, can you advise how I can just copy the first name and miss out the middle name please?? Thanks Caz Hi, I assume that the midle name is separated by a space from the first name and is in column A and the last name in column B =TRIM(LEFT(A2,FIND(" ",a2)-1))&" "&B2 "Caz H" wrote: > Hi > I have two cells, one containing first and middle name and another one with &g...

Adding a formula to the same cell (H5) on every tab
I have an inventory spreadsheet with 125 tabs. The tabs are numbered 1 through 125. The are identical except for the data below the column headings. If I wanted to put a formula in H5 on every tab, can it be done other than manually opening every tab and typing it? One additional question: If I add a Summary Tab, how could I show the value of a specific cell on each tab without manually entering it? I show the formula I'm using bring B3 to the summary for every tab: A B 1 Unit Value 2 1 ='1'!B3 3 2 ='2'!B3 4 3 ='3'!B3 5 4 ='4'!B3 6 5 ='5'!B3 7...

sumproduct--counting--zero--blank cells
I'm using these formula to count, =SUMPRODUCT(($W$9:$W$272>=0)*($W$9:$W$272<10)) =SUMPRODUCT(($W$9:$W$272>=10)*($W$9:$W$272<20)) ........etc how do i get it so bank cells are excluded from the count. The way it is now, they are counted in the 0 to 10 range... Thanks Jeremy -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com COUNTBLANK(range) "jeremy via OfficeKB.com" wrote: > I'm using these formula to count, > > =SUMPRODUCT(($W$9:$W$272>=0)*($W$9:$W$272<10)) > =SUMPRODUCT(($W$9:$W$272>=10)*($W$9:$W$272<20)) > ........etc > how do...

45 Degree Angled Text & Fill Option
I have Excel 2003 (11.6355.6360) running on XP and I'm wondering if this is a bug or not. If you have text in the first Row and you set it to 45 degrees angled, if you try and fill different cells with different fill colors, sometimes the box will fill angled, othertimes straight up and down. As a simple test, try creating a blank worksheet and make the first 3 columns 35 each in width and 100 in height. The type some text in each of the cells - not too much. Now select all 3 cells and format their alignment to 45 degrees. Now pick each one of the cells and fill each with a different ...

How do I link data to a chart from multiple worksheets?
I've created a graph that I want to show data from multiple sheets in the workbook. How do I do that? There are limits to how you can combine data from different sheets. This article describes them. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ChartFromDiffSheets.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Donna" <Donna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7DF7D186-9426-4B54-A322-FE485FD20529@microsoft.com... > I've created a graph that I want to...

References omit formatting and return cell address
In two cases of references between worksheets, the formatting from the original cell does not appear in the cell that it is referenced to. Case 1: Worksheet 1, A1 contains a currency formatted number - $2,000 Worksheet 2, A1 references the Workhseet 1, A1 cell using the = sign, yet it returns 2000 (unless I manually reformat the Workksheet 2 cell to Currency Case 2: Worksheet 3, A1 contains an apartment # - e.g. 4 Worksheet 4, A1 references this cell but returns the cell address - Worksheet2,!A1' - rather than the number 4. I tried different formats for the number 4,...

How can I insert a cell reference in a footer (eg for variable foo
Any ideas on how to do this? I'm trying to create a template with the doc reference number in the footer However, I'm trying to avoid users having to edit the footer (because this just wont get done). Hi only possible with VBA using an event procedure. e.g. put the following code in your workbook module for cell A1 Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) Dim wkSht As Worksheet For Each wkSht In Me.Worksheets With wkSht.PageSetup .CenterFooter = wksht.range("A1").value End With Next wkSht End Sub -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Ger...

Text in pivot table limited to 255 characters
I am using a pivot table as an efficient way to aggregate text responses from a large data set. However, the pivot table cuts off the text after the first 255 characters (similar to when you copy a worksheet by using the move/copy option). How can I overcome this? I have tried putting the pivot table on the same sheet as the dataset, but that does not work. I should also note that these pivot tables are then fed into an automated report through a complicated set of VLOOKUPs, etc. The pivot table aggregates several questions and responses from many areas of the datset into one discr...

How do I chart the same data cell on a range of worksheets?
I have the same row of cells on numerous worksheets that I want to chart or consolidate onto another worksheet ? Keith - You need to create a consolidated data range: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ChartFromDiffSheets.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Keith wrote: > I have the same row of cells on numerous worksheets that I want to chart or > consolidate onto another worksheet ? ...

Count Text Data
Using 2007 on Vista If I've got text data which in some columns either has data or there is a blank, what formula do I use to count how many cells have text in them per column? Many thanks =COUNTA(A2:A200) will count everything except blanks post back if you have numbers as well that should not be counted -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom <weewillie@anon.com> wrote in message news:lfm764d39m4prld1iiqllpjuen7a1eptoq@4ax.com... > Using 2007 on Vista > > If I've got text data which in some columns either has data or there > is a blank, what formula do I use to count...

Multiple email
Hi Could the same account/contact have multiple email address. If so,how do we seperate the email address by semicolon or comma? Any body has had this thought? Please share. Thanks I would organize my data so that an Account is the company and for each email address I would make a child Contact for that account. If you have one contact that has multiple email addresses, you can add them to a custom field on the contact form, but you won't be able to use them to send email from within CRM since CRM uses only a contact's primary email address. Matt Wittemann http://icu-mscrm.bl...

Shading cells not working
When I try to shade cells they remain white, but if I go to print preview the color shows. Why won't the cells change color in normal view? If the fill colours aren't appearing, the high contrast setting may be turned on. There's information in the following MSKB article: OFF: Changes to Fill Color and Fill Pattern Are Not Displayed http://support.microsoft.com/?id=320531 Jenny wrote: > When I try to shade cells they remain white, but if I go > to print preview the color shows. Why won't the cells > change color in normal view? -- Debra Dalgleish...

Counting the number cells between two dates
Hi guys, Hope someone can help with this, I'm pretty sure it'll be quite a simple one. Column A:A contains a list dates, I want to use a formula to count the number of cells which contain a date between 01/01/05 - 31/01/05. Any ideas, Many thanks, Dave Try: =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A1000>=--"1/1/05")*(A1:A1000<=-- "1/31/05")) BTW - I'm using American date formats in mine. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >Hi guys, > >Hope someone can help with this, I'm pretty sure it'll be quite a simple one. > >Column A:A con...

How do I limit the number of characters in a cell?
When try to limit the number of characters allowed in cell by going through the data/validation menu, it still allows more than the number of characters than I specified. I don't get it :( ...

Is it possible to measure/display the column width with a cell function?
Wednesday afternoon Is it possible to measure/display the column width with a cell function? I need to adjust some columns for a report. But I cannot find a way to display the current width in units that I can then place in a VBA macro. Would be very good to have the macro read the values entered in a set of columns and change the width accordingly. (This is very easy in Quattro pro.) J Have a look at ShowWidth at: http://www.sulprobil.com/html/get_cell.html HTH, Bernd -- Use non-volatile INDEX(P11:IV65536,1+w,1+y):INDEX(P11:IV65536,w+y,x+z) instead of volatile OFFSET(P11,w,x,y,z)...

Text overflows manually placed on pages
Explain how text overflows are manually placed on other pages. Rebecca <Rebecca@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > Explain how text overflows are manually placed on other pages. No. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher ...