XP 3 and upgrading from IE7 to IE8

When attempting to upgrade from IE7 to IE8 i am informed i need to download a 
required file. When i execute this file i get a dialogue box stating that i 
have a newer file version of this on my PC and i do not need to install it. 
My only option is to press OK, which terminates the installation proccess.

Is there any way, short of uninstalling service pack 3 and IE 7 (if that is 
indeed possible) to overcome this?
0
Utf
12/5/2009 1:16:01 AM
internetexplorer.general 1684 articles. 0 followers. Follow

3 Replies
610 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 50

HOW TO solve IE8 installation problems
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949220

No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage 
(only) is available via telephone (based on your locale) through 31 December 
2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a non-domain 
environment.

=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020

=> Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&prid=13043

My personal recommendations include:

=> Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!! => 
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/worldwide-sites.aspx

NB WinXP users: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.  When 
you're prepared to install IE8, double-click on the saved file.

NB Vista users: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.  When 
you're prepared to install IE8, right-click on the saved file and select 
"Run as Administator.

=> Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live) 
and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.

=> Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before 
installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any 
anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's) 
before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.  If you're running a 
third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling the 
Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.

=> Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8.  [Do NOT use 
System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see 
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700.  Then use the Restore Point prior to 
reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations.  Norton users will need to see 
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]

NB WinXP users=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then go 
to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any 
Critical Security Updates offered (i.e., KB972260).  If a Root Certificates 
update is listed in the Optional Updates category, install it to take full 
advantage of IE's enhanced security.

NB Vista users=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then 
check-in at Windows Update and install any critical security updates 
offered.

=> For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus 
application version, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender), 
and your third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8  before you 
decide install it.
-- 
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
www.banthecheck.com


Jens Grejsen wrote:
> When attempting to upgrade from IE7 to IE8 i am informed i need to 
> download
> a required file. When i execute this file i get a dialogue box stating 
> that
> i have a newer file version of this on my PC and i do not need to install
> it. My only option is to press OK, which terminates the installation
> proccess.
>
> Is there any way, short of uninstalling service pack 3 and IE 7 (if that 
> is
> indeed possible) to overcome this? 

0
PA
12/5/2009 2:46:11 AM
Pa Bear,
Would you recommend upgrading from IE7 to IE8 on either a XP Home, XP Pro or 
Vista Home Premium 32 bit? I have all 3 on a home office network that 
function great at this time. I don't want start a problem
Thanks,
Bc

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:OnpUzXVdKHA.4112@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> HOW TO solve IE8 installation problems
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949220
>
> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage 
> (only) is available via telephone (based on your locale) through 31 
> December 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a 
> non-domain environment.
>
> => US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
>
> => Other locales: 
> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&prid=13043
>
> My personal recommendations include:
>
> => Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!! => 
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/worldwide-sites.aspx
>
> NB WinXP users: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.  When 
> you're prepared to install IE8, double-click on the saved file.
>
> NB Vista users: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.  When 
> you're prepared to install IE8, right-click on the saved file and select 
> "Run as Administator.
>
> => Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live) 
> and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.
>
> => Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before 
> installing or uninstalling IE8.
>
> => I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and 
> any anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than 
> Defender's) before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.  If you're 
> running a third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then 
> enabling the Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE 
> upgrade.
>
> => Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8.  [Do NOT use 
> System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see 
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700.  Then use the Restore Point prior 
> to reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations.  Norton users will need to 
> see http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]
>
> NB WinXP users=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then 
> go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select CUSTOM and scan | 
> Install any Critical Security Updates offered (i.e., KB972260).  If a Root 
> Certificates update is listed in the Optional Updates category, install it 
> to take full advantage of IE's enhanced security.
>
> NB Vista users=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then 
> check-in at Windows Update and install any critical security updates 
> offered.
>
> => For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus 
> application version, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender), 
> and your third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8  before you 
> decide install it.
> -- 
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
> www.banthecheck.com
>
>
> Jens Grejsen wrote:
>> When attempting to upgrade from IE7 to IE8 i am informed i need to 
>> download
>> a required file. When i execute this file i get a dialogue box stating 
>> that
>> i have a newer file version of this on my PC and i do not need to install
>> it. My only option is to press OK, which terminates the installation
>> proccess.
>>
>> Is there any way, short of uninstalling service pack 3 and IE 7 (if that 
>> is
>> indeed possible) to overcome this?
> 
0
Bearcat
12/8/2009 12:00:44 AM
To avoid confusion, please begin a new thread about your specific 
problems/questions.  State your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., 
WinXP SP3; Vista SP2) in your first post. THX

Bearcat Bc wrote:
> Pa Bear,
> Would you recommend upgrading from IE7 to IE8 on either a XP Home, XP Pro 
> or
> Vista Home Premium 32 bit? I have all 3 on a home office network that
> function great at this time. I don't want start a problem.. 

0
PA
12/8/2009 7:25:24 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Money on 2 Computers #3
I have been using Money 2004 Deluxe on my desktop. I always synchronize it w/ MSN. Because I was going to be traveling and away from my desktop for 6 months I purchased a laptop which came with Money 2005 Deluxe OEM. I imported my MNY file and everything is working great. I keep it synchronized w/ MSN. Now, I have access to my desktop but I have stale data in Money on it. Can I use both and use MSN Money as the conduit to synchronize between the two? Nope. Money wants one local copy and one MSN copy. "Curtis" <Curtis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message new...

Public calendar #3
I just upgraded to Office 2003. One thing I disliked in Office 2000 is trying to integrate public calendars in the Public Folder for my work with my own folder. Has there a built in way of using these calendars together now? On Tue, 03 May 2005 08:27:07 -1000, Howard Brazee <howard@brazee.net> wrote: > I just upgraded to Office 2003. > > One thing I disliked in Office 2000 is trying to integrate public > calendars in > the Public Folder for my work with my own folder. Has there a built in > way of > using these calendars together now? No, but there are 3r...

Upgrade from StandAlone to Farm
I realize there is no direct upgrade from Stand Alone to Farm installations, however I would like to know if there is anywhere (website, white paper, etc) that lists steps in order to do it? even maybe a 3rd party tool? thanks You might upgrade your SQL from embeded or Express to SQL standard or Enterprise edition. ------- Deploy in a simple server farm (Office SharePoint Server) http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262243.aspx Note: There is no direct upgrade from a stand-alone installation to a farm installation. -------- Migrating SharePoint 2007 SQL ...

3-decimal place on [home] page
money 2003 standard (recently updated) computer = windows xp 512mb (out of box april 2003) on the [home] page the share prices in best/worst performers & summary lists are shown in 3-decimal places. how to change these to 2-decimal places? using option for 2-decimal places on other displayed columns on portfolio lists. ...

I instal IE7 wen I tried to openit it dosnot open only flash and
Iinstal IE7 wen I tried to openit it do not open only flash and clouse any one now what's goin on. -- ram * Which edition of Windows and what Service Pack level, please ? * Uninstall IE7. That will revert IE back to IE6. Restart the system. IF this is Windows XP, then download and *save* IE8: Windows Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=341c2ad5-8c3d-4347-8c03-08cdecd8852b Next, Clean boot XP: How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state http://support.microsoft.com...

Re: SUMIF only it has 3 ceretain texts in the same row
Look at this formula it sums the value if it has the pacific text. =SUMIF(E2:E47,"Pattern Change",D2:D47)+SUMIF(A2:A7,"Without Patter Change",C2:C47) But how can you create a formula to meet a certain condition meaning i "PATTERN CHANGE" is in A2: and '1' is in B2: and "MACHINE" in C2: The grab the the value in E2: I tried to create this formula but it doe not work. =SUMIF(A2,C2"PATTERN",'1',"MACHINE",E2) Any suggestions? Thnaks -- vane032 ---------------------------------------------------------------------...

How do upgrade Home & Student to add the Visio I bought ?
Hi, I just bought a new Sony laptop loaded with vista, also: 'Office Home and Student 2007' (which loaded fine) and 'Office Visio Standard 2007'. Unfortunately the Visio won't load - I need to have an earlier version already loaded according to the error msg. Please advise how I should resolve. If I need additional software, what do I need and where should I purchase it ? Thanks Peter (in Twickenham, UK). It sounds like you purchased an upgrade (v2007 standard) without a qualifying product already installed. You might check with who you purchased it from to see...

IE8.0 installation issue
(1) I have seperate copies of IE8.0 and Microsoft Malicious software removal tool. When installing IE8.0 the installation is again prompting to download Microsoft Malicious software removal tool, a copy of which anyway I already have. Is there any way to point out the IE 8.0 installation to Microsoft Malicious software removal tool path. (2) I already use IE6.0 windows xp sp2 version. Is there any performance criteria for me to choose IE8.0 over IE6.0? Hope to get your replies and Thanking you, Yours sincerely, R. GANESAN. If youre installing IE8 correctly & the rig...

Outlook won't remember password #3
I have searched old threads and see this has been discussed, but there doesn't seem to be a satisfactory answer. On my computer, running XP, everything is fine. On another computer, also running XP, Outlook won't remember the email login password, even though I have checked it in the account setup and when it asks me for a password. All of the account setings are exactly the same on both computers. Please help! Thanks, Peter Hi Peter, The problem you are experiencing is normally due to the Registry containing incorrect information for the Protected Storage System Provider reg...

Photos #3
i quiet often have to take several pictures that are to be 'stitched' together. the way i am doin it at the moment is in publisher on a blank page then inserting the pictures i need and carefully nudging them along and over lap them where needed till they look like one picture. is there an easier way of doing this ? and am i using the best programme for this . i have office 2003 . thank you Photo editing software is best for the kind of thing you are trying to do. Free photo editing program here http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/ And here http://www.getpaint.net/ www.irfanview...

Where To Get Good Price on XP 2007
Hello. I'm a newbie and novice. My daughter had a computer built for her by a friend. There was never any operating system installed. An accquaintance gave me a copy of XP Pro circa 2002 to use, but it won't load. According to an IT friend at work who looked at it, the older XP version can't deal with the modern 2008 hardware. He loaded 2004 XP Service Pack 2 on the machine and it worked fine. What he loaded belongs to our company so he had to remove it. So who's got good deals on XP? Thanks for any help. ampig wrote: > Hello. I'm a newbie and novice. My ...

Desparation
I previously ran Win2K with Office 2003 including Outlook 2003 and about 40 programs for 18 months with not one incident of a problem. Then I installed the Outlook PST backup program and I then after selecting the shut down command, the Outlook backup program came up and I am convinced caused a conflict and my Win2K boot sector was damaged and I was unable to retrieve the system. As the Hdrive which was not damaged was 3 years old I decided to replace this and upgrade to XP and reloaded the whole machine again. Since then Outlook comes up but crashes at totally random actions and will ...

attachment with unknown extension issue with IE8
My company save files with an unknown extension for security. When I receive an email (using gmail) with the file attached I save the file to a folder, it automatically changes the extension to .zip It's definitely and IE8 issue as with Firefox it saves the file with our unknown extension. I've checked Internet options but can't find what setting is causing this to happen. Any help is appreciated. Thanks "rlastar" <rlastar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3796DBDB-79E0-471E-8574-E4576515EB08@microsoft.com... > My company ...

Remote Desktop Connection Will Not Launch in Windows XP
I'm using a Windows XP machine that is accessing Windows Server 2003 via RDP. When I launch the Windows RDP, I see mstsc in the Task Manager window but the Remote Desktop Connection windows does not open and eventually mstsc closes (disappear from the Task Manager window). When I launch RDP in the command prompt, I see mstsc in the Task Manager window and the Remote Desktop Connection window opens. After entering my credential and clicking the Connect button, the Remote Desktop Connection window disappear but a terminal session does not start. And, eventually mstsc closes. ...

contents of 'From' field changed after upgrade to 2003
I recently upgraded our Exchange 2000 environment to 2003. As soon as all mailboxes were transferred to the new server, the bulk emails that are sent out from my company, showed 'username@domainname' in the 'From' field instead of the Display Name. The Display Name has always shown up in the 'From' field until this upgrade. All internal mail from Outlook still shows the display name, all SMTP mail shows the username@domainname format. Have looked at the modifications to the schema by 2003 but can't see anything that makes sense to me regarding this change. C...

error message "form has expired" in MSCRM 3.0
Hi all, I get the following message "form has expired; form is not available anymore. For secutity reason MSCRM doesn't send automatically your informations for you" (translation from french !!!) in MSCRM. I have this message (in Outlook or through the web) when I modify the status of a quote for instance, or a view... Does anyone have an idea about that ? The configuration is : migration from 1.2 to 3.0. Server is : SBS 2003 Thanks Lo�c Hi , If anyone had this message. Thanks. Lo�c "Lo�c" <lcastaing@activeo.fr> a �crit dans le message de news: ...

(APPZ) Ashampoo.Magical.Snap.2.v2.51.incl.Keygen.WinAll-LAXiTY
=ybegin part=1 line=128 size=6200 name=Ashampoo.Magical.Snap.2.v2.51.incl.Keygen.WinAll-LAXiTY.nzb =ypart begin=1 end=6200 fi���J�������gL[XZLJ��������gL���WbLJih74fKnym~�zoJ���JzlvsmJLWYY����l��YYn~nJx�lJZXcYYoxLJL����dYY���X�������X���Yn~nY���Y���W ZXcX���Lh74f���J�����gL����dYY���X�������X���Yn~nY\ZZ]Y���Lh74JJf����J������gL��������bbj������W����X���JR��������SLJ����gL[\`_b cZZ\aLJ�������gLRkzz�SJk�������Xw������X}���X\X�\X_[X����Xu�����X���k��Wvk��~�JWJPM�\\ek�������Xw������X}���X\X�\X_[X����Xu����� X���k��Wvk��~�X���PM�\\eJ�[Y]�JR[Y[SLh74JJJJf������h74JJJJJJf�����h���X��������X��X...

Questions about steps to upgrade Ex07 to SP2 w a CCR cluster
This weekend, we're planning to apply SP2 to our Exchange 2007 environment. We currently have two HUB/CAS servers and two Mailbox servers in a CCR cluster, everything running on Windows 2003 R2. Since the initial setup early last year, I've installed the various Windows patches and Exchange rollups, but this is the first time I'll be installing an Exchange service pack into our cluster (when we started, we used Exchange 2007 with SP1 already included) I've done some research and believe I have the correct sequence, but I just wanted to make sure I'm not...

CRM 3.0 Adding Subforms
I work for a company whichmanufactures capital equipment (continuous casting machinery) I am slowly moving all our data from our access database. Basic contact and sales information working extremely well. Against the basic account information we store details of each machine installation. There may be up to 10. This includes details such as machine type, serial number, date installed, awarrnty period, products cast etc. In access this done by using a subform so the user can scroll through each installation. How do I recreate this in CRM. Something like the products structure would w...

Access 2000
We are using an Access Database with an SQL Server, we have no issues in our central unit, where the operators use Windows NT / Word 97. However we have a few laptop users who dial in using a VPN connection and either ISDN or Broadband. Laptop users who use Windows 2000 / Word 2000 can generate letters without a problem. (The users press a command button on the access form which opens word and the relevant word template, once the letter has been produced the user switches back to Access and presses an OK button which saves the document and creates an 'Activity' Note in the...

Windows XP Professional, $50... too good to be true
I found this on the internet, I have a second computer running an older version of windows. I would like to upgrade but i dont want to spend $200 if i dont have to. My question to whoever reads this and knows what they are talking about is, Will I be getting a valid version of windows, and would this version be microsoft approved, meaning would I be allowed to update via the microsoft website? please email me if you can provide me with any info. $50 for an O/S is highly unlikely and suspect of being non compliant by manufacturing or distribution. Non compliant software is also prone t...

HELP #3
Hi, strange request here... My girlfriend is buying our wedding rings and the file sent to us in in Publisher. I'm hoping someone might offer to open it for me, save or export it to PDF or Word and send it back to me. We do not have Publisher and don't want to go buy it just to open one file. Any help would be appreciated. Cliff cliff@crpoe.com If the pub file was created with Pub 2000 or earlier, I'd be glad to help. -- Don ------- My real e-mail address is: dschmidtATpacifierDOTcom "Cliff" <cliff@one.com> wrote in message news:e9Gzi3n7DHA.2404@TK2MSF...

Money and XP
Is Money 2002 compatable with Windows xp? On the disk is says for 95, 98, ME, and 2000. Yes. It **may** require you to run as an Administrator. This was fixed in M03 but I don't recall if it was fixed in M02. "Christopher" <propilot9@aol.com> wrote in message news:0d7f01c35c33$e7ab3330$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Is Money 2002 compatable with Windows xp? On the disk is > says for 95, 98, ME, and 2000. You don't have to be an admin to run 2002. I ran 2002 with my account and admin and my wifes account user account. Worked just great for both accounts. User basic...

Money 2002 Problem with XP Home version
When installing the Money 2002 on my home PC I get the following error. "Unable to initialize a required Money component. Please reinstall Money from your original product disks." I have tried the correction to the registar file with the Checksku.exe. However, money 2002 did not work after. Have you tried any of the other options in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=313374&Product=mny ? -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://money.mvps.org/faq for tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your product wishes see http:...

combining cells #3
Hi all I need macro which clears the cell not delete if i have only number i column A but if the cell has text and number it shudnt clear that cell thanks i have more than 30000 rows in column -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com How about: Code ------------------- Sub ClearNumsFromA() Dim i As Long For i = 1 to Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Row If IsNumeric(Range("A" & i).Value) Then Range("A" & i).ClearContents Next End Su ------------------- -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Without a loop you ca...