View Partial Source in IE8? - 30760

Hi all,

This was one of my favorite feature and was extremely useful.  It was
packaged as part of the IE5 Dev PowerToys back in Aug. 2001.

I've used it in the past on IE6 and *I think* IE7.  I've seen posts saying
it is compatible with IE6 & IE7 but nothing about IE8.  I'm using IE8 and
don't want to install it if it will screw anything up.

I have 2 questions:
1. Will this work with IE8?

2. Why was this tool "done away with" when it was so popular?

TIA
Dave Black --
2b || !2b

"Dave Black" <DaveBlack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> This was one of my favorite feature and was extremely useful.  It was
> packaged as part of the IE5 Dev PowerToys back in Aug. 2001.
>
> I've used it in the past on IE6 and *I think* IE7.  I've seen posts saying
> it is compatible with IE6 & IE7 but nothing about IE8.  I'm using IE8 and
> don't want to install it if it will screw anything up.
>
> I have 2 questions:
> 1. Will this work with IE8?
>
> 2. Why was this tool "done away with" when it was so popular?
>
> TIA
> Dave Black

Was it "so popular"? I think I used it twice, maybe 3 times.

IE8 has really good Developer Tools - press F12 to bring them up. The only
reason I ever used the View Partial Source was when needing to look at just
a small piece of a huge file that would have been a pain to find using the
full source. With IE8 Developer Tools things are a whole lot easier with
it's tree view layout and highlighting of selected elements in IE8 itself,
plus you can view the source for individual elements from the View menu.

--
Dan

0
Dan
5/18/2010 9:15:34 AM
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply.  I've used the Developer Tools and found them useful.
I just wish that there was something as convenient as the "View Partial
Source".  It was nice not to have to navigate thru an entire HTML page just
to find a small snippet of HTML.

<sigh />
--
2b || !2b

"Dan" wrote:

> "Dave Black" <DaveBlack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > This was one of my favorite feature and was extremely useful.  It was
> > packaged as part of the IE5 Dev PowerToys back in Aug. 2001.
> >
> > I've used it in the past on IE6 and *I think* IE7.  I've seen posts saying
> > it is compatible with IE6 & IE7 but nothing about IE8.  I'm using IE8 and
> > don't want to install it if it will screw anything up.
> >
> > I have 2 questions:
> > 1. Will this work with IE8?
> >
> > 2. Why was this tool "done away with" when it was so popular?
> >
> > TIA
> > Dave Black
>
> Was it "so popular"? I think I used it twice, maybe 3 times.
>
> IE8 has really good Developer Tools - press F12 to bring them up. The only
> reason I ever used the View Partial Source was when needing to look at just
> a small piece of a huge file that would have been a pain to find using the
> full source. With IE8 Developer Tools things are a whole lot easier with
> it's tree view layout and highlighting of selected elements in IE8 itself,
> plus you can view the source for individual elements from the View menu.
>
> --
> Dan
>
> .

Use the search box at the upper right in the Developer Tools to search for a
string in the bit you're interested in, no need to navigate through the
whole lot ;)

Dan

> Hi Dan,
>
> Thanks for the reply.  I've used the Developer Tools and found them
> useful.
> I just wish that there was something as convenient as the "View Partial
> Source".  It was nice not to have to navigate thru an entire HTML page
> just
> to find a small snippet of HTML.
>
> <sigh />
> --
> 2b || !2b
>

> "Dan" wrote:
>

>> "Dave Black" <DaveBlack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > This was one of my favorite feature and was extremely useful.  It was
>> > packaged as part of the IE5 Dev PowerToys back in Aug. 2001.
>> >
>> > I've used it in the past on IE6 and *I think* IE7.  I've seen posts
>> > saying
>> > it is compatible with IE6 & IE7 but nothing about IE8.  I'm using IE8
>> > and
>> > don't want to install it if it will screw anything up.
>> >
>> > I have 2 questions:
>> > 1. Will this work with IE8?
>> >
>> > 2. Why was this tool "done away with" when it was so popular?
>> >
>> > TIA
>> > Dave Black
>>
>> Was it "so popular"? I think I used it twice, maybe 3 times.
>>
>> IE8 has really good Developer Tools - press F12 to bring them up. The
>> only
>> reason I ever used the View Partial Source was when needing to look at
>> just
>> a small piece of a huge file that would have been a pain to find using
>> the
>> full source. With IE8 Developer Tools things are a whole lot easier with
>> it's tree view layout and highlighting of selected elements in IE8
>> itself,
>> plus you can view the source for individual elements from the View menu.
>>
>> --
>> Dan
>>
>> .

0
Dan
5/18/2010 4:14:15 PM
Hi,

You can capture injected markup from XMLHTTP responses that the Developer
tool does not show.

"Dave Black" <DaveBlack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Dan,
>
> Thanks for the reply.  I've used the Developer Tools and found them
> useful.
> I just wish that there was something as convenient as the "View Partial
> Source".  It was nice not to have to navigate thru an entire HTML page
> just
> to find a small snippet of HTML.
>
> <sigh />
> --
> 2b || !2b
>

> "Dan" wrote:
>

>> "Dave Black" <DaveBlack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > This was one of my favorite feature and was extremely useful.  It was
>> > packaged as part of the IE5 Dev PowerToys back in Aug. 2001.
>> >
>> > I've used it in the past on IE6 and *I think* IE7.  I've seen posts
>> > saying
>> > it is compatible with IE6 & IE7 but nothing about IE8.  I'm using IE8
>> > and
>> > don't want to install it if it will screw anything up.
>> >
>> > I have 2 questions:
>> > 1. Will this work with IE8?
>> >
>> > 2. Why was this tool "done away with" when it was so popular?
>> >
>> > TIA
>> > Dave Black
>>
>> Was it "so popular"? I think I used it twice, maybe 3 times.
>>
>> IE8 has really good Developer Tools - press F12 to bring them up. The
>> only
>> reason I ever used the View Partial Source was when needing to look at
>> just
>> a small piece of a huge file that would have been a pain to find using
>> the
>> full source. With IE8 Developer Tools things are a whole lot easier with
>> it's tree view layout and highlighting of selected elements in IE8
>> itself,
>> plus you can view the source for individual elements from the View menu.
>>
>> --
>> Dan
>>
>> .

0
rob
5/18/2010 9:58:54 PM
The other thing you can do is the Find Element By Click option on the Find
menu, go to IE and then click the element you want to see the source for -
it then gets selected in the Developer Tools.

Dan

"Dave Black" <DaveBlack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Dan,
>
> Thanks for the reply.  I've used the Developer Tools and found them
> useful.
> I just wish that there was something as convenient as the "View Partial
> Source".  It was nice not to have to navigate thru an entire HTML page
> just
> to find a small snippet of HTML.
>
> <sigh />
> --
> 2b || !2b
>

> "Dan" wrote:
>

>> "Dave Black" <DaveBlack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > This was one of my favorite feature and was extremely useful.  It was
>> > packaged as part of the IE5 Dev PowerToys back in Aug. 2001.
>> >
>> > I've used it in the past on IE6 and *I think* IE7.  I've seen posts
>> > saying
>> > it is compatible with IE6 & IE7 but nothing about IE8.  I'm using IE8
>> > and
>> > don't want to install it if it will screw anything up.
>> >
>> > I have 2 questions:
>> > 1. Will this work with IE8?
>> >
>> > 2. Why was this tool "done away with" when it was so popular?
>> >
>> > TIA
>> > Dave Black
>>
>> Was it "so popular"? I think I used it twice, maybe 3 times.
>>
>> IE8 has really good Developer Tools - press F12 to bring them up. The
>> only
>> reason I ever used the View Partial Source was when needing to look at
>> just
>> a small piece of a huge file that would have been a pain to find using
>> the
>> full source. With IE8 Developer Tools things are a whole lot easier with
>> it's tree view layout and highlighting of selected elements in IE8
>> itself,
>> plus you can view the source for individual elements from the View menu.
>>
>> --
>> Dan
>>
>> .

0
Dan

When viewing an MFC dll's dependancies can't seem to find MFC80D.d
While compiling a project that has recentlly been upgraded to VS2005 from VS6.0 i keep getting a registration error. at the end of the process the project tries to register the newly compiled DLL. when i looked at the DLL through Dependancy Walker i discovered that it could not seem to find three DLLs: MFC80D.dll, msvcp80d.dll and msvcr80d.dll. any ideas why this would happen? On Oct 20, 7:28 am, Shawn <Sh...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > While compiling a project that has recentlly been upgraded to VS2005 from > VS6.0 i keep getting a registration error. at the end of ...

IE8 text size 01-25-10
The situation described occurs in IE8 on both Vista home premium and Windows 7 professional. Using the page options, I set the text size to smaller. It will remain that way for a while but within hours or sometimes a day the text size reverts to medium. Any suggestions Lou ...

Is Doc/View Architecture really needed?
Hi I wanted to try some codes last night and start a default MFC app. with Doc/view support. But it gives so much compiler and run-time error because of doc/view, i forgot what i want then began to correct the code. Do you really need Doc/view or do you use doc/view architecture in your projects? Or you begin with empty project? I want to learn when it is not necessary and when it is. Have you ever faced Doc/View archtecture become painful in your recent projects? I am looking for your opinions. Thanks. If you are going to have "data" and represent it on the "screen"...

Partial Text Match then enter desired result into appropriate colu
I have a list of company names in Column A. On a separate tab I have a list of keywords. What I'd like to do is to have a search done on the names in column A and if any of the keywords on the separate tab match for it to then put in the company type into column B. Example of a company name in column A: Get Things Done Construction Company Keyword on separate tab: "construction: Need the formula to return "construction" to Column B. Thanks in Advance for any insight on this one! Look in the help index for VLOOKUP -- Don Guillett Microsoft MV...

UK Money 2005 Portfolio Valuation View is blank
I tried to customise the Porfolio Valuation view, which seems to have corrupted itself. It no longer displays any lines and just correctly displays the total in the blue area of the screen. On clicking Change Portfolio view | customise current view | Portfolio Culumns Tab shows that the Display column box is empty. Clicking on the reset to default button re-populates the box and saving does not rectify the problem. As no stocks are display going through the Change Portfolio view | customise current view | Portfolio Culumns Tab shows that the Display column box is again empty. How do I rectify...

How do I stop using data source no longer needed for charts?
HOW DO I DELETE AN AUTOMATIC LINK which is no longer there? I have copied a chart from one workbook to create a new workbook. Now it always says this wkbk contains automatic links to information in another workbook. Grace - You can unlink a chart from its source data. This web page describes several ways: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/DelinkChartData.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Grace wrote: > HOW DO I DELETE AN AUTOMATIC LINK which is no longer there? &g...

website not working with IE8
my website: www.rlschool.org/pensacola-redeemer-lutheran-school/ the drop down menu is not working with IE 8. i have loaded the latest updates for ie. any ideas? moosechic wrote: > my website: www.rlschool.org/pensacola-redeemer-lutheran-school/ the drop > down menu is not working with IE 8. i have loaded the latest updates for ie. > any ideas? Fix the HTML and CSS errors, then try again. See http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rlschool.org%2Fpensacola-redeemer-lutheran-school%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&gro...

Event ID 8197 Source: MSExchangeFBPublish
Hi Everyone, I am getting this Event every time I reboot my exchange server. Everything seems to come up ok but the server stalls on loading every time it is rebooted. The error description is: Error initializing session for virtual machine XXXXX. The error number is 0x8004011d. Make sure Microsoft Exchange Store is running. I don't know how to fix this. I did some searching on that error number and it pertained to Outlook but not the actual Exchange server. Is there a hotfix for this problem? Thanks, locoytravieso ...

integration manager 10.0-SQL Data Source
We are trying to run an integration by using a link to the GP tables. One of our data sources is using the SQL Server as the data source. We can query the data source and return all rows in the integration. However, when we run the integration we receive the error: An error handler was not found for: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. We are on the latest service pack too. Are you using any field script or event script in IM? Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com The Dynamics GP Blogst...

Seperate document for Splitter views
Hi My app shows 2 graph views seperated by a splitter. The base graphview class is the same say CGraphView if i use splitter.CreateView(0,0,RUNTIME_CLASS(CGraphView)... splitter.CreateView(0,1,RUNTIME_CLASS(CGraphView)... they both use the same document class but i need them to show graphs frm different docs if i make 2 objects of the CGraphView how can i use the objects as CRuntimeClass*??? is there any other solution. rgds fordge fordge wrote: > Hi > My app shows 2 graph views seperated by a splitter. > > The base graphview class is the same say CGraphView > > if...

Viewing pictures within received emails
When I receive an email with a picture attached I have to dbl click on the image to view it. How can I get Outlook to display the image within the email? You can't. Outlook only displays pictures in-line when they are inserted in-line by the sender of the mail by Insert-> Picture... -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tips of the month: -Setting Permissions on a Mailbox -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "David McCullough" <anonymous@dis...

How to view a complete schema when using schema includes/imports?
I've got a parent schema file that references complex element types that are defined in several "child" schema files and I used the schema imports statement to include them into the parent schema's default namespace. I would like to generate a complete/single-file instance of the schema to simplify things but I can't figure out how to do it. Each schema seems to live in it's respective memory space inside the SchemaIncludesCollection. Any idea how I could traverse all of the "virtual" nodes in the parent schema to create a physical representation of what t...

Total from one source, equivalent percentage from another?
This is probably simple but it's something I haven't had to do before. I have a main table. I have a filter query based on this table. I have a report, based on the query, which displays the total number of records in the query. In the same report, I would like to display this total as a number (already done, obviously) and also as a percentage of the total number of records in the main table. How would I go about this? 82412 wrote: >This is probably simple but it's something I haven't had to do before. > >I have a main table. >I have a filter query based on...

IE8--My toolbars disappear
Not sure what happened or what I didause it but starting just a few minutes ago the toolbars at the top of my IE8 screentotally disappear, along with those on the bottom of the screen, including the system Tray and all the icons to the left. If I hover my cursor at the top of the now-full-screen IE8, some but not all the toolbars reappear (e.g., the command FIle and related commands are now gone) until I move the cursor again. Then I get the full screen view of whatever I am looking at in IE8. Highly annoying. Is ther any way to fix this? F11 Joe McGuire wrote: >...

countif, but only using partial cell contents in the reference array #5
thanks for your help max - indeed there are blank cells in the range. the work around will do, but as always, i like stuff to be clean - les chance of screwing things up again, much thanks, jare -- jared ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jaredh's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1553 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27105 You're welcome ! Thanks for the feedback Track your post awhile for possible insights from others .. -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Please respond in thread x...

Outlook 2003 Task View formatting
Does anyone have a way to format a Task item when in Outlook Task view, such as, highlighting a particular Task row? yes. Explain what you want to do. Or just go and look at the Automatic Formatting function. Regards Judy Gleeson MVP Outlook www.judygleeson.com www.deskdoctors.com Are you sick of bad email practice? Get a copy of my paper "Implementing Email Policy" from the Desk Doctors website. "brightenmyoutlook" <rjbeaupre@gmail.com> wrote in message news:278e5a3c-63c3-479a-bc15-391e492495b3@v36g2000yqv.googlegroups.com... > Does anyone have a way to f...

Partial match for query criteria
Hello, I am trying to create a query that will deliver results based on matching only a part of the text in a table field. For example, if I have a table that contains the names, address and phone numbers of 10,000 businesses but I only want my query to show me businesses that have the word "National" in their name, how would I do that? I'm not sure how to set up the criteria. Thanks for your help! Use the Like operator with wildcards. In the 'criteria' row of the business name column in query design view enter: Like "*National*" Or you can use a ...

Continuous Forms View Question
Is it possible to prevent the blank New Record row from appearing at the bottom of a form whose default view is Continuous without setting the form's Allow Additions property to False? If I choose to add a new record that's fine, but once the new record has been added I'd like for the empty fields to go away until I ask to add another record. Thanks! -- If you can read this, thank a Teacher... If your reading it in English, thank a Veteran! What you are actually asking for is to disable standard functionallity which should be there in the first place and enable it when you&#...

dual screens, split 2 ppts to view 1 on each, how?
trying to view 2 different ppts with dual monitors, one on each screen. how do I do this? they want to stack one on top of another instead. Try View > Cascade then move and resize as needed. "anvilhead" wrote: > trying to view 2 different ppts with dual monitors, one on each screen. how > do I do this? they want to stack one on top of another instead. Anvilhead, I have to first Restore Down the PPT program (just left of the Red X in upper right hand corner) then click and drag the opwn window to cover both monitors, then select the "view" tab, a...

Displaying Dialogs in Views
I've got several dialogs that I'd like to have up all the time and allow the user to, say, drag the mouse across items in one view and have their definition show up in the other view. At the moment I've got a dialog that comes up by doing a right click that displays the definition, but it takes over the mouse and you have to clear the dialog before you can get back to the main view. Since the Dialog works fine and is in the format I want, is there any easy way to create a new view, on the other side of the splitter bar and just plug that dialog in? I realize I'd need to have so...

How can you hide system defined views in CRM 4.0
In CRM 3.0 you could share the System view to remove them from a users list of views. I cannot see the Share functionality of Views in CRM 4.0 to do the same thing. How can you hide system views in CRM 4.0 Unfortunately, in v4.0 the system views cannot be hidden. This would be a good suggestions for next update. Frank Lee, Microsoft CRM MVP http://microsoft-crm.spaces.live.com http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm "B" wrote: > In CRM 3.0 you could share the System view to remove them from a users list > of views. I cannot see the Share functionality of Views in CRM 4.0 t...

Multiple calendar view?
Outlook 2003, At my workplace everybody maintains their own calendar in Outlook at their workstation, but they are shared across the network. So if I want to see where someone is today I just call up their calendar. But is there a way to view all shared calendars at once? That is, I would like to have everybody's appointments and events from their calendars merged together into one (yes, it will be very "busy" but that's okay) calendar so that I have a "big picture" of what's going on at the company? Thanks for any suggestions, ~d. jettster Dexter...

Viewing Macro..
Is there a way to view a VBS macro without running it? Someone sent me a macro, but I don't know that it can be trusted. I do want to run it, I did scan it with Norton and it found nothing, but Excel warns me against opening it. Hi, Unless its protected, you can press Alt+F8, select it from the list and click Edit. Of course if you don't know VBA, you probably won't know if its safe or not. Of course you could post the code to the newgroup. You first line of defense is to consider the source, do you trust the person who sent you the file? -- If this helps, please c...

Unviewable View
Greetings! I've created a view in the CRM database through SQL Server Management Studio that is viewable to me. but not to anyone else, including people. This also applies to any non-Filtered table. Can anyone suggest a reason for this? This will be a permissions issue. You need to ensure that the CRM Security Groups (SQLAccessGroup etc) have access. Note that in general creating additional objects in the CRM database is unsupported - in general you should create your objects (eg views etc) in a separate database. Regards, Chris http://mscrm4u.blogspot.com ...

List view customization
Does anybody know how to make a form or list view not currently available in the customization toolkit view in CRM available for customization through the toolkit? thanks Can you explain further -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mscrmfaq.us "JM" <JM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1097513D-2353-430A-B895-71848D832BAB@microsoft.com... > Does anybody know how to make a form or list view not currently available in > the customization toolkit view in CRM available for customization through the > toolkit? > > thanks you ca...