Unable to install IE8 on Windows XP - KB932823

When I try to install IE8 it tells me my computer needs an update before
installing.  When I try to install the suggested update (KB932823) it tells
me the service pack is newer than the update and I don't need it.  I am on
version 5.1 (build 2600.xpsp.071130-1427:Service Pack 3, v.3264).  How do I
get out of this catch-22?

cf. your thread from 30 October:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general/browse_frm/thread/899139a333c52f85

I still think that's a fishy-looking winver.  Yes, it is: That's WinXP SP3
RC1.

1. Uninstall WinXP SP3 RC1 via Add/Remove Programs & reboot.

2. If IE7's installed somehow, uninstall it, too, & reboot.

3. Now see...

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP2 fully patched
[You may be able to skip Step #4]
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/a066ae41add7dd2b

Tip: Do NOT install IE8 via Windows Update!  Hide it for now, then reply to
this thread once you've gotten the computer fully-patched.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

tovi55 wrote:
> When I try to install IE8 it tells me my computer needs an update before
> installing.  When I try to install the suggested update (KB932823) it
> tells
> me the service pack is newer than the update and I don't need it.  I am on
> version 5.1 (build 2600.xpsp.071130-1427:Service Pack 3, v.3264).  How do
> get out of this catch-22?

0
PA
11/17/2009 6:59:00 AM
On Nov 17, 6:59=A0am, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> cf. your thread from 30 October:http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.=
public.internetexplorer.gene...

> I still think that's a fishy-looking winver. =A0Yes, it is: That's WinXP =
SP3
> RC1.
>
> 1. Uninstall WinXP SP3 RC1 via Add/Remove Programs & reboot.
>
> 2. If IE7's installed somehow, uninstall it, too, & reboot.
>
> 3. Now see...
>
> HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP2 fully patched
> [You may be able to skip Step #4]http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft=
..public.windowsxp.general/msg...

> Tip: Do NOT install IE8 via Windows Update! =A0Hide it for now, then repl=
y to
> this thread once you've gotten the computer fully-patched.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002www.banthecheck.com
>

> tovi55 wrote:
> > When I try to install IE8 it tells me my computer needs an update befor=
> > installing. =A0When I try to install the suggested update (KB932823) it
> > tells
> > me the service pack is newer than the update and I don't need it. =A0I =
am on
> > version 5.1 (build 2600.xpsp.071130-1427:Service Pack 3, v.3264). =A0Ho=
w do
> > get out of this catch-22?- Hide quoted text -

This is the same problem I am having, and I also have the same version
of Windows XP SP3.
I got it from Microsoft Update, so what is fishy about it ?
Why would Microsoft release a fishy piece of software ?
Why are you suggesting that nothing should be obtained via Microsoft
Update. ?
Why would Microsoft issue fishy software via Microsoft Update ?

Explain please ?

Kelvin (Windows Fishy User... apparently...)

0
kelvin
11/17/2009 2:28:28 PM
I'll only address this issue:

"I got it from Microsoft Update, so what is fishy about it ?"

Is Microsoft Update configured to offer unreleased versions of updates?
If you're a developer, you might want to try them. Otherwise, you don't
want 'em.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

kelvin.harding wrote:
> On Nov 17, 6:59 am, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> cf. your thread from 30 October:http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.gene...
>>
>> I still think that's a fishy-looking winver.  Yes, it is: That's WinXP SP3
>> RC1.
>>
>> 1. Uninstall WinXP SP3 RC1 via Add/Remove Programs & reboot.
>>
>> 2. If IE7's installed somehow, uninstall it, too, & reboot.
>>
>> 3. Now see...
>>
>> HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP2 fully patched
>> [You may be able to skip Step #4]http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg...
>>
>> Tip: Do NOT install IE8 via Windows Update!  Hide it for now, then reply to
>> this thread once you've gotten the computer fully-patched.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002www.banthecheck.com
>>

>> tovi55 wrote:
>>> When I try to install IE8 it tells me my computer needs an update before
>>> installing.  When I try to install the suggested update (KB932823) it
>>> tells
>>> me the service pack is newer than the update and I don't need it.  I am on
>>> version 5.1 (build 2600.xpsp.071130-1427:Service Pack 3, v.3264).  How do
>>> get out of this catch-22?- Hide quoted text -
>

> This is the same problem I am having, and I also have the same version
> of Windows XP SP3.
> I got it from Microsoft Update, so what is fishy about it ?
> Why would Microsoft release a fishy piece of software ?
> Why are you suggesting that nothing should be obtained via Microsoft
> Update. ?
> Why would Microsoft issue fishy software via Microsoft Update ?
>
> Explain please ?
>
> Kelvin (Windows Fishy User... apparently...)

0
Leonard
11/17/2009 5:05:25 PM
"kelvin.harding" <kelvin.harding@gci-ltd.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Nov 17, 6:59 am, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> cf. your thread from 30
>> October:http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.gene...
>>
>> I still think that's a fishy-looking winver.  Yes, it is: That's WinXP
>> SP3
>> RC1.
>>
>> 1. Uninstall WinXP SP3 RC1 via Add/Remove Programs & reboot.
>>
>> 2. If IE7's installed somehow, uninstall it, too, & reboot.
>>
>> 3. Now see...
>>
>> HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP2 fully patched
>> [You may be able to skip Step
>> #4]http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg...
>>
>> Tip: Do NOT install IE8 via Windows Update!  Hide it for now, then reply
>> this thread once you've gotten the computer fully-patched.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002www.banthecheck.com
>>

>> tovi55 wrote:
>> > When I try to install IE8 it tells me my computer needs an update
>> > before
>> > installing.  When I try to install the suggested update (KB932823) it
>> > tells
>> > me the service pack is newer than the update and I don't need it.  I am
>> > on
>> > version 5.1 (build 2600.xpsp.071130-1427:Service Pack 3, v.3264).  How
>> > do
>> > get out of this catch-22?- Hide quoted text -

> This is the same problem I am having, and I also have the same version
> of Windows XP SP3.
> I got it from Microsoft Update, so what is fishy about it ?
> Why would Microsoft release a fishy piece of software ?
> Why are you suggesting that nothing should be obtained via Microsoft
> Update. ?
> Why would Microsoft issue fishy software via Microsoft Update ?
>
> Explain please ?
>
> Kelvin (Windows Fishy User... apparently...)

XP SP3 RC1 was not available to download from Windows Update unless you were
a member of the beta program, or you installed one of the many hacks that
was going around when RC1 was released to beta testers.

So yes, apparently you do have a fishy Windows setup, but that's not MS's
fault ....

--
Dan

0
Dan
11/17/2009 5:15:21 PM
kelvin.harding wrote:
>> ...That's WinXP SP3 RC1.
<snip>
> This is the same problem I am having, and I also have the same version
> of Windows XP SP3.
> I got it from Microsoft Update, so what is fishy about it ?

I don't care where or how you got it, it's still WinXP SP3 Release Candidate
1 and hasn't been supported for almost 2 years.

NB: Windows Update won't offer SP3 RTM until you've uninstalled SP3 RC1.

If you need additional assistance, please begin a new thread in WinXP
General newsgroup.

0
PA

Office XP Exel
Scenario: User's A,B, C, and D all have access to an excel XLS on a 2003 server. Users A & B have modify rights, users C&D only have read rights. If user A updates the file, the general tab in properties reflect the exact time the file was modified. After user A saves and closes the file, user D goes in. The changes are there, but in the properties general tab, the modify date in an old date (probably the actual creation date). Is this normal ? Any idea's ? ...

How to Hide Left Panel of Folder Window?
I'm well behind the Windows curve and I'm just now learning to use Windows XP Home. Up to now I've been using Windows 2000 Pro. On my XP desktop I have a shortcut to my music folder which containins my MP3 files. When I double click on the shortcut, a window opens on the desktop displaying the contents of my music folder. This window has a panel along the left side containing items like "File and Folder Tasks" and "Other Places." I can't figure out how to close, hide or otherwise delete this panel. This panel takes up a lot of prec...

XP Media Center
Hello, I have Media Center 2002 and I recently installed SP3 and now the Media Center does not work. The error says: ehshell.exe - Strong name validation failed for assembly... Is there a fix to this problem? Thank you. ...

Can't install windows updates on SBS 2003
I have a SBS 2003 server that has not been updated in a couple years. It has SP2 installed but when I run Microsoft Update it needs to download and install 96 updates. When I try to get them installed it comes back with an error saying not enough disk space. I have tried to just install 1 update at a time and get the same error. The C:\ drive has over 14GB of free space and the other drives have plenty of space as well. I restarted the server and also ran Disk Cleanup, as the error message reccomends, but am still having the same problem. Anyone run across this problem befo...

New message opens up behind outlook window
Everytime I click new in my inbox to open a new message, the new message pops up behind the main oulook window. does anyone know how to make this stop? ...

How to install Exchange in an "Administrative Group"
I am running Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003 on a DC in my lab. Exchange is installed in the "First Administrative Group". Now I want to install a second Exchange 2003 Server in another "Administrative Group" called "Midwest". This is what I did: 1. Installed the second Exchange 2003 server in the "First Administrative Group". 2. Created the second "Administrative Group" called "Midwest". 3. Tried to move the second Exchange 2003 server into the "Midwest" Administrative Group. The problem was that I was not able to &q...

Outlook and Windows Integrated Authentication
Hello All, Does anyone know if Outlook (not OWA) can use Windows Integrated Authentication (like IE) to automatically log onto Intranet Web sites to retrieve graphics in HTML messages? Right now we get a logon dialog and have to manually log in. Thanks. if you paste the url into a browser, does it work as desired? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outloo...

Intelligent Message Filter Installation Failure
I've tried installing the Intelligent Message Filter on a Windows 2000 SP4 Exchange 2003 SP1 server. The installation fails at around 98% with the following error: There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. a program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. contact your support personnel or package vendor. I tried downloading it again, and had the same results. Any ideas? Thanks ...

Windows media player
Why does windows media player keep popping up? David wrote: > Why does windows media player keep popping up? OK, I give up. Why does Windows Media Player keep popping up ? How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 Windows Media Player General Discussion http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player&cat=en_US_44d7101f-71dd-4f9a-b6b9-45215557dd35&lang=en&cr=US MowGreen ================ *-343-* FDNY Never Forgotten ================ banthecheck.com "Security update...

Task Manager window only CPU
Vista Ultimate SP2 When I launch Windows Task Manager, only a CPU meter opens. When I right click icon in task bar, I only get Close & Always on top options. How do I restore task manager? Happy New Year -- ***************** John Lenz JohnLenz@comcast.net Double click on the white frame of the task manager window. That should do it. -- whs THX - it worked Happy New Year -- ***************** John Lenz JohnLenz@comcast.net "whs" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message news:89eee91dbeee8173c55e0008be25b622@nntp-gateway....

URGENT: WINDOWS 8 ANNOUNCEMENT for July 2011!
Think Windows7 just came out & too young? Welcome to the brave future: Windows8! 1) Windows 8 To Contain New Anti-Ha*king Software (antipir*cy). Some may consider anti-pir*cy measures similar to whistling in the wind, but that's certainly not the case. George has posts in Windows7NewsDOTcom, and ConnectedInternet showing how in many cases Microsoft has foiled anti-pir*cy efforts. Many believe that piracy is relegated to just illegal copying or theft. But that is not the case. V*rus distribution and embedded malw*re, and privacy intrusion are typical features that result from...

email address on Service Call Entry window
Add an email address field to the Service Call Entry window for the customer contact on the service call. Even if it is not pulled from the email address of the address id on the service call, at least the dispatcher could enter an email address on the service call in order to communicate with the customer regarding the call. It is common to take email address as part of contact information. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the m...

Can Outlook 2003 use MSN Messenger INSTEAD of Windows Messenger?
I didn't get an answer to this question last week so I'm re-posting... I recently purchased a new computer (Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2) and loaded up all of the available updates to the OS, Internet Explorer, etc. Next, I installed Office 2003 Professional. I disabled Messenger integration with Outlook 2003 as discussed in other posts here. Next I installed MSN Messenger 6.2 and it seemed to run properly as a stand-alone application. So I re-enabled Messenger integration on Outlook 2003. The next time I booted up and ran Outlook, the Messenger icon appeared in the taskbar...

Windows XP SP2
Has anyone else noticed that after installed Windows XP SP2, emails in Outlook sit in the Outbox for several "noticable" seconds before sending. Sam <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Has anyone else noticed that after installed Windows XP > SP2, emails in Outlook sit in the Outbox for > several "noticable" seconds before sending. I believe I saw this documented on the Microsoft web site. -- Brian Tillman ...

re install Pub 2000 problem.
Hello and I hope I'm In the right newsgroup. My problem is I've had to re install my Office 2000 Disc2 and now when I want to start publisher the message box tells me I am trying to access a program that needs the cd. When I installed it, I checked for Publiher to "run all from my computer" I've un installed and re installed, still need disc. what am I doing wrong? Thanks for your help, John :) Johnny1r wrote: > Hello and I hope I'm In the right newsgroup. My problem is I've had to > re install my Office 2000 Disc2 and now when I want to start publis...

Office 2007 on Windows 7
I just purchased a new laptop with Windows 7. I also purchased Office 2007 but I notice that Windows 7 is not shown on the Office package. Can I install Office 2007 without any propblems? Answered your first posting. apensa wrote: > I just purchased a new laptop with Windows 7. I also purchased Office 2007 > but I notice that Windows 7 is not shown on the Office package. Can I > install Office 2007 without any propblems? ...

Volume License copy of Windows Server
Gurus, Is there anyway anymore to get a full Volume License copy of Windows Server (e.g., version 2008) which does NOT require Internet activation? -- Spin Start with Vista/Windows 2008, your options to activate are by Internet or Phone. I believe the command that kicks it off is: slui.exe 4 "Spin" <Spin@invalid.com> wrote in message news:84nk89Far1U1@mid.individual.net... > Gurus, > > Is there anyway anymore to get a full Volume License copy of Windows > Server (e.g., version 2008) which does NOT require Internet activation? > ...

Installation Failure on 2003
Hello and thanks for your time and I need some help on this. When installing on a fresh install Win 2003 server that has: - SQL 2000 with SP3a - MSXML installation - Logged in as the AD administrator - Member server in a Native 2003 AD (Seperate AD controller) - Exchange 2003 is running on the 2nd server that is the AD controller - DNS checks out I get an error at the start of the installation that says: "Setup cannot install Microsoft CRM server" "Setup cannot create the Microsoft CRM databases" It's probably a rights issue but I can't figure it out. Thanks...

Cannot install Money Plus
I have Money 2002 and uninstalled it. Wanted to upgrade to a new version of Money. Tried to install Money Plus Deluxe (trial version) and keep getting error Setup was unable to install some of the components needed to run Money. Try installing Money again. Its HP M9300t Vista Home Premium system. I tried the software on my XP computer and it work fine. So there must be a problem with Vista. Any help would be appreciated. I am having the same problem, but mine is in XP. I need a resolution quickly, because having had to uninstall Money 2003, I am now left without any checkbook regist...

Can we get newsgroups with Windows Live Mail?
Currently we have WindowsXP, SP3, OE. How will Windows7 get newsgroups? Will these be part of "Windows Live Mail" as they are in OE? Please help, Frank Newsgroups work virtually the same in WLMail as they do in OE. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "Frank Martin" <fm@general.com.au> wrote in message news:uybUM2d2KHA.2284@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Currently we have WindowsXP, SP3, OE. > > How will Windows7 get newsgroups? Will these be part of "Windows Live > Mail" as they ...

Outlook 2007 in Windows 7
I've installed Office 2007 in Windows 7. Then I installed Lotus Notes 8.5 as my default mail client. After that I opened Outlook 2007 then it prompted to set Outlook 2007 as the default and I clicked Yes. But still the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\shell\open\command value is LotuNotes exe destination. What is the reason for this. But if I use <a href="mailto:dummymail@dum.edu">send mail</a> tag in my HTML page it opens Outlook 2007 new mail window. How does the mailto protocol identifies the default mail client and open the new mail window? Pls someo...

Money 2003 wants to install again
I upgraded from Money 2000 to Money 2003 online. I wanted to get rid of all the works files so I used the Works 2000 cleanup tool. Now, whenever ANY window opens, it's preceded by Money 2003 wanting to install. And the knowledge base give a link to the money store and it asks for the product activation key. To add insult to injury, I called on 8/2/04@ 5:00 PM ET and recording said they were closed, even tho' the hours are until 10:00 PM> Sheesh!!! What next? Any one have any suggestions to stop the install? ...

How to determine whether update rollup is installed
Hi, I've just installed the update rollup on test machines both for client and server. However there's no obvious change - even the build version numbers shown on the web interface remain the same. Is this to be expected? How can I tell that the update is installed successfully? Thanks! Tom Not sure why they didn't update the version number. On the server, go to add/remove programs and check the 'show updates' checkbox at the top. then, under the Microsoft CRM Server, you should see 'Update Rollup 1...' Dave Ireland "Tom" <thisisme_ithink@yahoo...