Toolbar at top of IE

I have Windows XP, IE version 8.  This question is about the toolbars
showing at the top of IE.  The upper one that (normally) shows the words:
File - Edit - View - Favorites - Tools - Help, and the lower one that
(again, normally) shows (among others) the important word:  Home.
Recently, periodically, the background for those two toolbars turns totally
black, so the words cannot be read.    Fortunately Home has an icon, which
DOES show up.   As for the upper one, if I click on where I think the word
is (i.e. Favorites, which I use very frequently) the drop-down menu appears,
so it is functional.   After a few days the black disappears and things are
normal again.   But this has happened several times, so I am wondering if
anyone knows the cause and hopefully the solution.    Thanks.

0
Joy

Joy <nospamjoymp2@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> I have Windows XP, IE version 8.  This question is about the toolbars
> showing at the top of IE.  The upper one that (normally) shows the words:
> File - Edit - View - Favorites - Tools - Help, and the lower one that
> (again, normally) shows (among others) the important word:  Home.
> Recently, periodically, the background for those two toolbars turns totally
> black, so the words cannot be read.    Fortunately Home has an icon, which
> DOES show up.   As for the upper one, if I click on where I think the word
> is (i.e. Favorites, which I use very frequently) the drop-down menu appears,
> so it is functional.   After a few days the black disappears and things are
> normal again.   But this has happened several times, so I am wondering if
> anyone knows the cause and hopefully the solution.    Thanks.

Did you first check if there were any other people asking about
black toolbars here?
0
Rob
6/11/2010 4:30:39 PM
"Joy" <nospamjoymp2@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>I have Windows XP, IE version 8.  This question is about the toolbars
>showing at the top of IE.  The upper one that (normally) shows the words:
>File - Edit - View - Favorites - Tools - Help, and the lower one that
>(again, normally) shows (among others) the important word:  Home. Recently,
>periodically, the background for those two toolbars turns totally black, so
>the words cannot be read.    Fortunately Home has an icon, which DOES show
>up.   As for the upper one, if I click on where I think the word is (i.e.
>Favorites, which I use very frequently) the drop-down menu appears, so it
>is functional.   After a few days the black disappears and things are
>normal again.   But this has happened several times, so I am wondering if
>anyone knows the cause and hopefully the solution.    Thanks.

Right Click on the Desktop (not on an icon) and choose
Properties>Appearance, and select the Windows Classic Style. Click OK.

This should resolve the issue and bring colors back to the Menu Bars.

You can go back to the Windows XP Style if you want, the color should
remain.

There are other selections in the Desktop Tab that can cause the Menu Bars
to go black. I'd suggest you make the selections you want and stop changing
them. Force the Windows Classic Style and Windows Classic Theme to restore
the colors to the menu and tool bars, then go back and make the alterations
you prefer and leave them alone after that.

I had the black menu and tool bars recently and fixed it with the Windows
Classic settings.

Good luck.

0
Jeff
6/11/2010 4:43:36 PM
Didn't think of it until I had already posted.    I think I then read them
all.   Bottom line seemed to be that no matter what they did, the black
eventually came back.

> Did you first check if there were any other people asking about
> black toolbars here?

0
Joy
6/11/2010 8:27:48 PM
"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> There are other selections in the Desktop Tab that can cause the Menu Bars
> to go black. I'd suggest you make the selections you want and stop
> changing them. Force the Windows Classic Style and Windows Classic Theme
> to restore the colors to the menu and tool bars, then go back and make the
> alterations you prefer and leave them alone after that.

Thanks, Jeff.   Under Appearance, are you referring to Windows & Buttons
or   Color Scheme    or   both?

I have Windows Classic under Windows & Buttons, but Windows Standard under
color Scheme.   Should I make sure both of them say Windows Classic?
Also, under  Themes, I have Windows Classic (modified), should that be
changed to Windows Classic?    I'm always hesitant to make change without
making sure I'm doing the correct thing.

> I had the black menu and tool bars recently and fixed it with the Windows
> Classic settings.
>
> Good luck.

0
Joy
6/11/2010 8:35:06 PM
How do I move the Standard toolbar [AKA Menu bar] to a location that is
above the Address bar in IE7 or IE8?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930645

Black Toolbars in Windows Applications
http://www.iecustomizer.com/Resources/Articles/BlackToolbars.aspx

Or until Rob fixes his website:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:VTcnZy1J5WwJ:www.iecustomizer.com/Resources/Articles/BlackToolbars.aspx+black+toolbar+site:iecustomizer.com&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Joy wrote:
> I have Windows XP, IE version 8.  This question is about the toolbars
> showing at the top of IE.  The upper one that (normally) shows the words:
> File - Edit - View - Favorites - Tools - Help, and the lower one that
> (again, normally) shows (among others) the important word:  Home.
> Recently, periodically, the background for those two toolbars turns
> totally
> black, so the words cannot be read.    Fortunately Home has an icon, which
> DOES show up.   As for the upper one, if I click on where I think the word
> is (i.e. Favorites, which I use very frequently) the drop-down menu
> appears,
> so it is functional.   After a few days the black disappears and things
> are
> normal again.   But this has happened several times, so I am wondering if
> anyone knows the cause and hopefully the solution.    Thanks.

0
PA
6/11/2010 9:26:13 PM

> "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>

>> There are other selections in the Desktop Tab that can cause the Menu
>> Bars to go black. I'd suggest you make the selections you want and stop
>> changing them. Force the Windows Classic Style and Windows Classic Theme
>> to restore the colors to the menu and tool bars, then go back and make
>> the alterations you prefer and leave them alone after that.
>
> Thanks, Jeff.   Under Appearance, are you referring to Windows & Buttons
> or   Color Scheme    or   both?
>
> I have Windows Classic under Windows & Buttons, but Windows Standard under
> color Scheme.   Should I make sure both of them say Windows Classic? Also,
> under  Themes, I have Windows Classic (modified), should that be changed
> to Windows Classic?    I'm always hesitant to make change without making
> sure I'm doing the correct thing.

Yes, Windows and Buttons set to Windows Classic Style. If it's already
there, change it and come back.

The Desktop tab has a Themes dropdown box that you want to set to Windows
Classic too. You don't have to leave these selections, but I found that my
system was fixed when I changed the settings. Funny thing is, I prefer the
classic view, but changing away then coming back solved the problems.

0
Jeff

Excel or IE caching csv
I am accessing a website that generates csv reports for many different facilities I service. The csv files all have the same name and, subsequently, the same URL. There is some kind of backend script that generates these files and opens them in Excel for me automatically when I click the appropriate link. The first time I click the link, it works fine. The second time, I click the link that is associated with a different facility, but the data for the first facility still shows up in the csv Excel file. I have played with IE's cache, cookies, history, and advanced settings to no av...

How do you keep your toolbar customized the way you set it up?
I have used different versions of Excel for years; we are now using Excel 2003. I have customized my toolbars the way I want them several times but they won't stay the way I set them. I read about autosensing - I don't know if that affects it. Can I make the toolbars stay put? http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/assistance/ha010448631033.aspx -- Zygan ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Zygan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=34423 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadi...

Cannot find object toolbar (?)
I do not know what this is, but there is a toolbar like item that appears at the left side of the Visio 2003 screen with different objects that I can select and drag into the screen. Whenever I close it I can never find it on the menu to get it back. What is this called and how to I get it to reappear when it disappears? Hello Flick, Do you mean the shape stencils (View/Shapes Window)? Best regards John John Goldsmith www.visualSignals.co.uk "Flick Olmsford" <FlickOlmsford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1CF48FBC-BB61-4154-955A-A5FA6D065D21@micr...

Need macro that performs same action top to bottom.
How can I write a macro that performs the same action on every row from top to bottom once I start it. More info please, unless of course you want to perform the action on all 65536 rows! TGHCOG -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I have a sheet with 810 rows and I need to insert a blank row between each. I know how to write a macro that will insert a blank row, but it only works one at a time. I'd like to start at the top and have it insert a blank between the first two and then drop down and repeat itself over and over untiul it gets to the bottom of the sheet. ...

Outlook 2002 Hotbar Toolbar
I have downloaded the Hotbar Toolbar and have decided I don't want it. How do I get rid of it? It deletes through customze toolbar but comes back everytime I open Outlook again. Or on Forwarded or Reply e-mails. Thanks Add/remove programs in the Control Panel? "Diana" <debost@netzero.net> wrote in message news:016f01c34d62$6a8ff960$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I have downloaded the Hotbar Toolbar and have decided I > don't want it. How do I get rid of it? It deletes > through customze toolbar but comes back everytime I open > Outlook again. Or on Forwar...

How do I get the top row of my worksheet to always be in view?
I am working with a large worksheet, and I want the top row to always be in view, no matter where I scroll. "andrea" <andrea@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A2132078-AFA5-4D83-8766-67B75D6A7154@microsoft.com > I am working with a large worksheet, and I want the top row to always > be in view, no matter where I scroll. Click on cell A2 and go to Windows-Freeze Panes ...

hotlinks in e-mail require IE to be open first?
In my Outlook 2003, hotlinks in email will not work until I have a separate window in IE open. Can this be changed with a different setting? ...

Disappearing Button from Toolbar
Hi, My NEWS button on my Toolbar Office 2003 was causing problems so I dragged it back into the Commands/Web section from where I originally dragged it. Seems to have gone altogether now. I have checked all Categories but can't locate it. Any ideas on how to get it back please? Thanks. Griff. To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel | Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch it, clear the "Always perform this check..." box and then ...

Link slide layout master to Top slide master 2007
Okay, so I change the title and content master footer to the color red then I changed it back to black and went to the top slide master and changed the footer text to red (to affect all the slides) and it affected all but the title and content slide... How do I relink the title and content master to be controled by the top master instead of taking precidence over it.. THANK YOU ...

Spreadsheet launches in IE window
This isn't really cross posting because the other NG sent me here. As I asked in the OE group: When I include a link in an email (OE6), the spreadsheet opens in an IE window. How can I get it to launch Excel instead? Spreadsheets launch Excel normally from windows explorer so I don't think it's an association problem. Carlos =========================== Hi Carlos, "CarlosAntenna" <nunayo@binnez.com> wrote in message news:u4o14MYmEHA.4004@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > When I include a link to a spreadsheet on a network drive, the > spreadsheet > launches...

formatting toolbar greyed out
when i reply to an email, the formatting toolbar (bold, underline, etc) is greyed out. i thought this had to do with the how i view the email (html, plain, rtf), but am having trouble getting this to work. i am using xp pro, outlook 2003. what to change and where to do it? thank you eddie a hi vicky, my current setting in tools, options, mail format is: compose in "html" .. that is especially why i don't understand why greyed out. any other options? thanks eddie "Vicky" wrote: > > Yes, If you have the formatting set to plain text, that would ca...

IE8 toolbars etc are black and I can't read the text
I ahve IE8. The toolbar(s) have gome black and I can't read anything. What can I do to correct this, please? Outlook express is fine. MikeH MikeH <truronews@btconnect.com> wrote: > I ahve IE8. The toolbar(s) have gome black and I can't read anything. What > can I do to correct this, please? Outlook express is fine. Try to first read one or more of the many "toolbars are black" questions on this newsgroup. "Rob" <nomail@example.com> wrote in message news:slrnhv5c3a.ghg.nomail@xs8.xs4all.nl... > MikeH <truronews@btcon...

Floating toolbars
I would like to restrict my application GUI such that I prevent toolbars and floating/dockable windows from existing in the same 'frame'. I have 3 floating toolbars which can float and dock around the outside of my application. I also have several floating/dockable windows which at present are allowed to dock in the same area as a toolbar. For example if I have a window called "Project Browser Tree" docked on the left of my mainframe, then when the user drags a toolbar into the same area, the toolbar should dock on the extreme left of the application and the "Project Br...

View Toolbar
Is there a way that you change the format view of the toolbar on the latest version of Excel? -- Shari MenuExcel http://www.addintools.com/english/menuexcel/ Tooolbar Toggle http://www.toolbartoggle.com XL Menu 2003 http://in.geocities.com/shahshaileshs/ -- __________________________________ HTH Bob "Shari W" <ShariW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5FDDD769-343B-4954-8E35-7447BA3FE992@microsoft.com... > Is there a way that you change the format view of the toolbar on the > latest > version of Excel? > > > -- > Shari ...

Excel toolbars are missing
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) For some reason, and I do not recall doing anything at all, but the FORMAT and STANDARD toolbars are missing (or hidden). If you "View" and then "Toolbars" they both have checkmarks beside them. I logged on to other sites and say a lot of desperate people but no answers. Help! This make me long for my DELL. Click the oblong button at the right end of the document's Title Bar to expand the docked toolbars area - it sounds like you've collapsed it. Does your Dell or Vista give you the opportunity to take adva...

new toolbar
I created a new toolbar in Publisher and put buttons on it but it doesn't appear in new publications. It does not even show up on the list of toolbars. What's wrong? ...

Top margins in linked text boxes are misaligned
I have a rather long document with linked text boxes. All is well and good, except all but the first text box bring the top line of text closer to the top of the text box. I have double checked and the text box margins are exactly the same, yet the first text box still looks like it has a larger top margin. Each text box needs to look the same for this publication and I am really trying to avoid tweaking the margins on all but one text box on a document that is nearing 100 pages in length. If the margins are the same, shouldn't the text end up in the same place? (Publisher 2003) ...

Formatting toolbar disappears randomly.
My formatting tool bar disappears randomly when I create a new email. I put it back and for a time it stays there then other times it just does not appear when I try to create a new mail. I have installed all the Office service packs as well as all the windows update. Can anybody offer a solution? Many thanks. Mark Baker Try renaming your outcmd.dat file to outcmd.old while Outlook is closed. Outlook will rebuild the default toolbars the next time you open it. If your toolbar locations "stick" after doing this, then you know it was the outcmd.dat file causing the problem. ...

Passing Parameters to a Macro Via a Toolbar
I have alot of mail that I'm constantly moving to subfolders, so I want to add a Custom Toolbar that has a macro associated with it, and pass it a parameter, which is the name of the folder to move the msgs to. For example, macro named "ItemMove" which moves the selected msgs to a a folder. I want to add a toolbar and assign a macro to it, specifying the macro and paramter to be executed to be "ItemMove MyFolder". The ItemMove macro would execute, moving the selected msgs to "Myfolder", which is a parameter the macro is expecting. I can't figure out ho...

combobox on toolbar of MDI
Hi, I need to add a combo box to the toolbar of MDI application. The combox will be shown for only one document type. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Thanks. BTW, the toolbar should be on the application's toolbar. It will not show as a separate toolbar on the MDI child window. Thanks. jean wrote: > Hi, > > I need to add a combo box to the toolbar of MDI application. The combox > will be shown for only one document type. Can anyone tell me how to do > this? Thanks. This shows how to add a combobox to a toolbar: http://www.codeproject.com/docking/toolbarwithcombo.asp...

owa access in IE 6.0
Running Exchange server 2003 standard on Win 2003 server R2. Can access owa with Firefox but cannot login with IE 6. Can you logon to the basic client with IE 6? Nue "db in ok" <db in ok@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6F51333A-8C96-4E1B-9C8D-C910349209FB@microsoft.com... > Running Exchange server 2003 standard on Win 2003 server R2. Can access > owa > with Firefox but cannot login with IE 6. "Nuevo" wrote: > Can you logon to the basic client with IE 6? > > Nue > "db in ok" <db in ok@discussions.micros...

IE 8.0 'file:///C:Programs%20files%20(x86)//aol%20toolbar/welcome.html: Problem
I have a brand new Toshiba Laptop with Win7.0 64bit and when I try to use the Internet Explorer 8.0 Program I get the following message.. 'file:///C:Programs%20files%20(x86)//aol%20toolbar/welcome.html:' What do I need to do clear this problem... I am a new comkputer user and need pretty good directions.. Thank You Very Much Linda Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice LINQ With Strings http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/03afdcf3-7b60-47db-adb9-db7fe2c6ab8c/linq-with-strings.aspx Linda Uninstall the AOL Toolbar . Better stil...

WinXP Home IE Setup
WinXP Home Version 2002 32bit Fat32 Spk2 Please help me to solve this since have no information about the pending job: "A previos installation has pending work requiring a reboot. You need to restart your computer to complete that installation before running ie setup". Please answer all of the following questions by number in your next reply (no need to quote this post): 1. Are you attempting to install, e.g., IE8 or...? [1] 2. Is Automatic Updates enabled, can you reach http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, and is the computer fully-patched at Windo...

MS Windows XP SP3 with IE 8 Keyboard Issues
I am running a Windows XP w/SP3 workstation utilizing IE8. It is all service packed to current configuration. I have an issue when you type the address in IE 8 that the first character is always double typed. In addition when typing one character another is actually printed on screen both in IE 8 and in chat programs. When the screen saver comes on or in Remote Desktop and trying to type a password after a period of time the keyboard strokes are not what characters I am typing, it starts from the top row of the keyboard and progress down the line. Has anyone seen this issue as...

Magic Folder
Hi there, A co-worker accidently move Inbox messages to the "Mailbox - xxxx, yyy" (Exchange Server) and can't find any of the messages again. Where is this "Top of Information Store" folder located? If I send a UnRead Message into that "Mailbox - ", I can see it in "Unread Mail" and the name of the folder "Top of Information". I can do Advance Find and it can find messages in that folder, but how do I get into that folder? Robert Run the ADVANCED FIND and move the messages back into the inbox from the FIND window. -- Nikki Peterso...