Restore last session or go to home page

Is there a way to disable the 'your last browsing session closed
unexpectedly' message box? Every time I click to open IE8 after starting the
computer from a shut down I receive this message box. Thanks.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Kitti Ritter wrote:
> Is there a way to disable the 'your last browsing session closed
> unexpectedly' message box? Every time I click to open IE8 after starting the
> computer from a shut down I receive this message box. Thanks.

0
Leonard
1/26/2010 6:18:19 PM
1. How do you normally shut down Internet Explorer?

2. Is Internet Explorer closed when you shut down Windows?

3. Have you thoroughly scanned your system for malware?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Kitti Ritter wrote:
> Is there a way to disable the 'your last browsing session closed
> unexpectedly' message box? Every time I click to open IE8 after starting the
> computer from a shut down I receive this message box. Thanks.

0
Leonard
1/26/2010 6:19:44 PM
Hello Kitty,

In Internet Explorer go to:

Tools - Internet Options, and click on the Advanced Tab.

Scroll down to 'Browsing'.

The eighth line down says, "Enable automatic crash recovery." Clear the
check box next to it, and that should solve your problem.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

--
Peace,

Jeffrey W. Bowen
Remove NO SPAM entries from email address to send personal email.

Please post replies of successes or failures so we all can benefit from each
others' experiences.

"Kitti Ritter" <Kitti Ritter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to disable the 'your last browsing session closed
> unexpectedly' message box? Every time I click to open IE8 after starting
> the
> computer from a shut down I receive this message box. Thanks.

0
Jeffrey
1/26/2010 7:00:45 PM
You have an incompatible Addon. Find and uninstall it. Automatic  crash
recovery recovers from these types of errors gracefully. Switching it off
could put your browser into a loop that you can't get out of without a
machine reboot.

To test is an Addon is causing the problem either run IE in no-Addons mode
or stop your Addons from being loaded in IE with

Tools>Internet Options - Advanced tab, uncheck "Enable third-party browser
extensions" and then close ALL IE windows, then restart IE.

Jeff - a version of the Comcast toolbar has been reported as incompatible
with IE8. Have you checked for an update from Comcast?
Turning off Automatic  Crash Recovery is not a 'fix'. You have to determine
and correct the underlying reason for the tab/window crash (incompatible
Addon or (rarely) malicious web sites that attempt to do something that
looks like a malware attack, and usually involves one of your IE Addons
installed on your computer).

"Jeffrey W. Bowen" <NOmcquireSPAM@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message
> Hello Kitty,
>
> In Internet Explorer go to:
>
> Tools - Internet Options, and click on the Advanced Tab.
>
> Scroll down to 'Browsing'.
>
> The eighth line down says, "Enable automatic crash recovery." Clear the
> check box next to it, and that should solve your problem.
>
> I hope this helps. Good luck.
>
> --
> Peace,
>
> Jeffrey W. Bowen
> Remove NO SPAM entries from email address to send personal email.
>
> Please post replies of successes or failures so we all can benefit from
> each others' experiences.
>
> "Kitti Ritter" <Kitti Ritter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Is there a way to disable the 'your last browsing session closed
>> unexpectedly' message box? Every time I click to open IE8 after starting
>> the
>> computer from a shut down I receive this message box. Thanks.

0
rob
1/26/2010 7:53:14 PM
Try closing all IE windows before shutting down.

Kitti Ritter wrote:
> Is there a way to disable the 'your last browsing session closed
> unexpectedly' message box? Every time I click to open IE8 after starting
> the
> computer from a shut down I receive this message box. Thanks.

0
PA
1/26/2010 8:35:11 PM
Rob,

I am not the one asking for help. Also, I don't have the Comcast toolbar or
any other third party toolbar for that matter. I am also not having any
problms with my browser. But thank you anyway for your response.

I was offering helpful information that may or may not solve the Ops
problem.

I respectully disagree with your assumption that disabling this feature will
cause a loop or any other problem with one's ability to browse.

The following link, I believe supports my theory that it is only a
convenient addition that helps people recover webpages they visit in the
event of a browser crash or sudden browser shutdown much like the same
feature first offered in Firefox:

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/internet-explorer/features/automatic-crash-recovery.aspx?tabid=2&catid=1

Click or paste it into your browser and you will see that it offers no
warning of, "putting the browser into a loop that [one] can't get out of
without a machine reboot."

It is doubtful that since this is in the "Browsing" section under the
Advanced tab that it is a criticle safety feature. It is there for
convenience so that the browser can recover a lost tab or browser session
after a browser crash or other event that causes the browser to shut down.
If it was a safety feature, then disabling it would not be so easily
accessible or there would be a warning not to disable it.

Also after searching the Internet for other articles or forum posts that may
support your "loop" theory, I have found none. You need to come up with a
better reason like, you tried my suggestion and it didn't help. Or that
disabling the feature won't fix the problem because (insert reliable reason
here other than toolbar/add on incompatiblity or maleware). That would be
good enough.

All that aside, I have also searched for a better solution than mine and
think I may have found one that I will suggest to the Op. I can humbly thank
you for at least motivating me to seek out a possibly better solution for
the Op.

--

> You have an incompatible Addon. Find and uninstall it. Automatic  crash
> recovery recovers from these types of errors gracefully. Switching it off
> could put your browser into a loop that you can't get out of without a
> machine reboot.
>
> To test is an Addon is causing the problem either run IE in no-Addons mode
> or stop your Addons from being loaded in IE with
>
> Tools>Internet Options - Advanced tab, uncheck "Enable third-party browser
> extensions" and then close ALL IE windows, then restart IE.
>
> Jeff - a version of the Comcast toolbar has been reported as incompatible
> with IE8. Have you checked for an update from Comcast?
> Turning off Automatic  Crash Recovery is not a 'fix'. You have to
> determine and correct the underlying reason for the tab/window crash
> (incompatible Addon or (rarely) malicious web sites that attempt to do
> something that looks like a malware attack, and usually involves one of
> your IE Addons installed on your computer).
>
> "Jeffrey W. Bowen" <NOmcquireSPAM@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message
>> Hello Kitty,
>>
>> In Internet Explorer go to:
>>
>> Tools - Internet Options, and click on the Advanced Tab.
>>
>> Scroll down to 'Browsing'.
>>
>> The eighth line down says, "Enable automatic crash recovery." Clear the
>> check box next to it, and that should solve your problem.
>>
>> I hope this helps. Good luck.
>>
>> --
>> Peace,
>>
>> Jeffrey W. Bowen
>> Remove NO SPAM entries from email address to send personal email.
>>
>> Please post replies of successes or failures so we all can benefit from
>> each others' experiences.
>>
>> "Kitti Ritter" <Kitti Ritter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Is there a way to disable the 'your last browsing session closed
>>> unexpectedly' message box? Every time I click to open IE8 after starting
>>> the
>>> computer from a shut down I receive this message box. Thanks.

0
Jeffrey
1/26/2010 8:50:41 PM
1. First I log off using the start menu option
2. All windows are closed at time of log off and shutdown
3. I have regular automatic scans for spyware, etc.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> 1. How do you normally shut down Internet Explorer?
>
> 2. Is Internet Explorer closed when you shut down Windows?
>
> 3. Have you thoroughly scanned your system for malware?
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Kitti Ritter wrote:
> > Is there a way to disable the 'your last browsing session closed
> > unexpectedly' message box? Every time I click to open IE8 after starting the
> > computer from a shut down I receive this message box. Thanks.
> >
> .

Hello again Kitti (sorry, I mispelled your name last time),

I have looked around for any possibility of a better solution than my
original suggestion and found this link:

http://www.windowsreference.com/internet-explorer/howto-disable-the-reopen-last-browsing-session-feature-in-ie8/

If you have Windows XP Professional, you can use the instructions for
changing it through the 'Group Policy' feature which is the most desirable
suggestion in this article.

This site also gives instructions on how to edit the registry (be very
careful if you have to use this option, or get a certified tech or trusted
techie friend do this for you) to fix this problem if you do not have
Windows XP Professional.

It also gives instructions on how to use a program called 'CCcleaner which I
have seen suggested most often both by MVPs and other helpful techies in the
MS newsgroups. This is probably an even better option than editing the
registry if you can't use the Group Policy method of disabling it.

So, as to my last post, you can probably disregard that, and leave the auto
crash recovery enabled since disabling it will only prevent you from
recovering from a browser crash which means you will just have to restart
your browser session.

I hope this is at least a little more helpful. Good luck.

--
Peace,

Jeffrey W. Bowen
Remove NO SPAM entries from email address to send personal email.

Please post replies of successes or failures so we all can benefit from each
others' experiences.

"Kitti Ritter" <Kitti Ritter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to disable the 'your last browsing session closed
> unexpectedly' message box? Every time I click to open IE8 after starting
> the
> computer from a shut down I receive this message box. Thanks.

0
Jeffrey
1/26/2010 9:28:57 PM
Jeffrey:
Your suggestion worked, but it may cause a problem if my system crashes. Any
other ideas?
Kitti

"Jeffrey W. Bowen" wrote:

> Hello Kitty,
>
> In Internet Explorer go to:
>
> Tools - Internet Options, and click on the Advanced Tab.
>
> Scroll down to 'Browsing'.
>
> The eighth line down says, "Enable automatic crash recovery." Clear the
> check box next to it, and that should solve your problem.
>
> I hope this helps. Good luck.
>
> --
> Peace,
>
> Jeffrey W. Bowen
> Remove NO SPAM entries from email address to send personal email.
>
> Please post replies of successes or failures so we all can benefit from each
> others' experiences.
>
> "Kitti Ritter" <Kitti Ritter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a way to disable the 'your last browsing session closed
> > unexpectedly' message box? Every time I click to open IE8 after starting
> > the
> > computer from a shut down I receive this message box. Thanks.
> >

> .

Yes. I know your intentions are good, but no.... "disable automatic crash
recovery" is not a fix for the OP and may actually cause more harm than good
if the underlying Addon problem is not addressed.

ref: web search for LCIE IE8.

If you have disabled it on your machine in the hope of fixing the same
problem, even though you say you have no Addons installed or enabled, then
you may be mistaken.... Some Addons like Google, Quicktime and AOL updates
are launched in the Windows Startup and use the open IE Window's connection
to make updates checks with their servers which (depending upon
circumstances (current security zones of loaded pages)) can cause IE to
attempt a tab recovery. Some 'Download Managers' use non-standard methods to
hook into IE and don't appear either in the IE Addons list nor the Windows'
startup lists. I would bet that you have automatic Quicktime update checks
enabled on your machine.

Regards.

> [...]
>> (incompatible Addon or (rarely) malicious web sites that attempt to do
>> something that looks like a malware attack, and usually involves one of
>> your IE Addons installed on your computer).
>>
>> "Jeffrey W. Bowen" <NOmcquireSPAM@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message
>>> Hello Kitty,
>>>
>>> In Internet Explorer go to:
>>>
>>> Tools - Internet Options, and click on the Advanced Tab.
>>>
>>> Scroll down to 'Browsing'.
>>>
>>> The eighth line down says, "Enable automatic crash recovery." Clear the
>>> check box next to it, and that should solve your problem.
>>>
>>> I hope this helps. Good luck.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Peace,
>>>
>>> Jeffrey W. Bowen
>>> Remove NO SPAM entries from email address to send personal email.
>>>
>>> Please post replies of successes or failures so we all can benefit from

1/26/2010 9:32:42 PM
Rob:
I have no addons, however I did go ahead and disable the third-party browser
extensions in order to test your theory. After closing all windows, logging
off, shutting down and then restarting I still receive the message window.
This only happens after a system shutdown, not when closing and opening IE
only.
Kitti

"rob^_^" wrote:

> You have an incompatible Addon. Find and uninstall it. Automatic  crash
> recovery recovers from these types of errors gracefully. Switching it off
> could put your browser into a loop that you can't get out of without a
> machine reboot.
>
> To test is an Addon is causing the problem either run IE in no-Addons mode
> or stop your Addons from being loaded in IE with
>
> Tools>Internet Options - Advanced tab, uncheck "Enable third-party browser
> extensions" and then close ALL IE windows, then restart IE.
>
> Jeff - a version of the Comcast toolbar has been reported as incompatible
> with IE8. Have you checked for an update from Comcast?
> Turning off Automatic  Crash Recovery is not a 'fix'. You have to determine
> and correct the underlying reason for the tab/window crash (incompatible
> Addon or (rarely) malicious web sites that attempt to do something that
> looks like a malware attack, and usually involves one of your IE Addons
> installed on your computer).
>
> "Jeffrey W. Bowen" <NOmcquireSPAM@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message
> > Hello Kitty,
> >
> > In Internet Explorer go to:
> >
> > Tools - Internet Options, and click on the Advanced Tab.
> >
> > Scroll down to 'Browsing'.
> >
> > The eighth line down says, "Enable automatic crash recovery." Clear the
> > check box next to it, and that should solve your problem.
> >
> > I hope this helps. Good luck.
> >
> > --
> > Peace,
> >
> > Jeffrey W. Bowen
> > Remove NO SPAM entries from email address to send personal email.
> >
> > Please post replies of successes or failures so we all can benefit from
> > each others' experiences.
> >
> > "Kitti Ritter" <Kitti Ritter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Is there a way to disable the 'your last browsing session closed
> >> unexpectedly' message box? Every time I click to open IE8 after starting
> >> the
> >> computer from a shut down I receive this message box. Thanks.

Hello Kitti,

I have just sent another post that offers a viable alternative to disabling
this feature, but please read on to see why this feature doesn't apply to
your whole system.

The Automatic Crash Recovery is only specific to your browser and only works
to recover your browsing sessions after your browser is unexpectedly shut
down.

That meanse that if your whole system crashes while your are browsing, the
crash was bad enough that your computer may freeze and even automatic crash
recovery won't help anyway but to allow you to restore your browsing session
after you reboot your machine and start IE again.

Here is a link you can go to that describes Automatic Crash Revovery.

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/internet-explorer/features/automatic-crash-recovery.aspx?tabid=2&catid=1

Good luck.

--

> Jeffrey:
> Your suggestion worked, but it may cause a problem if my system crashes.
> Any
> other ideas?
> Kitti
>
> "Jeffrey W. Bowen" wrote:
>
>> Hello Kitty,
>>
>> In Internet Explorer go to:
>>
>> Tools - Internet Options, and click on the Advanced Tab.
>>
>> Scroll down to 'Browsing'.
>>
>> The eighth line down says, "Enable automatic crash recovery." Clear the
>> check box next to it, and that should solve your problem.
>>
>> I hope this helps. Good luck.
>>
>> --
>> Peace,
>>
>> Jeffrey W. Bowen
>> Remove NO SPAM entries from email address to send personal email.
>>
>> Please post replies of successes or failures so we all can benefit from
>> each
>> others' experiences.
>>
>> "Kitti Ritter" <Kitti Ritter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Is there a way to disable the 'your last browsing session closed
>> > unexpectedly' message box? Every time I click to open IE8 after
>> > starting
>> > the
>> > computer from a shut down I receive this message box. Thanks.
>> >

>> .

0
Jeffrey
1/26/2010 9:44:05 PM
Hi Kitti,

Ok, third-party browser extensions disabled does not fix the issue.

It could be something in your Windows Startup list or a downloaded Active X
control.

To disable items in your windows startup list - Start>Run>msconfig, Startup
tab. uncheck anything Google, Quicktime or AOL or that looks like it is an
update checking program. You will be prompted to re-boot.

Testing if it is a version of an ActiveX control that is causing the
automatic crash recovery.

Start IE in no-Addons mode. Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Internet
Explorer (no-Addons). This starts IE with ALL addons disabled (including
ActiveX) whereas "Third-party browser extensions stops Toolbars and
BrowserHelpers only from being loaded when IE starts).

If the no-Addons mode works then there have been a lot of problems with
Adobe Flash versions. Post back if no-Addons mode does not cause tab crashes
and we can give you detailed instructions to repair your Adobe Flash
installation.
Another indication that it is Flash related is that your IE8 does not 'crash
recover' from every web site you visit, but only from SOME sites that are
hosting flash animations or offering PDF document downloads.

or
Tools>Manage Addons, select the 'Downloaded Controls' view and select all
items in the list. Right click to display the context menu and select Copy,
then paste the list back into a reply post here for us to examine and maybe
identify any known Addon/ActiveX incompatibility issues.

Regards.

> Rob:
> I have no addons, however I did go ahead and disable the third-party
> browser
> extensions in order to test your theory. After closing all windows,
> logging
> off, shutting down and then restarting I still receive the message window.
> This only happens after a system shutdown, not when closing and opening IE
> only.
> Kitti
>
> "rob^_^" wrote:
>
>> You have an incompatible Addon. Find and uninstall it. Automatic  crash
>> recovery recovers from these types of errors gracefully. Switching it off
>> could put your browser into a loop that you can't get out of without a
>> machine reboot.
>>
>> To test is an Addon is causing the problem either run IE in no-Addons
>> mode
>> or stop your Addons from being loaded in IE with
>>
>> Tools>Internet Options - Advanced tab, uncheck "Enable third-party
>> browser
>> extensions" and then close ALL IE windows, then restart IE.
>>
>> Jeff - a version of the Comcast toolbar has been reported as incompatible
>> with IE8. Have you checked for an update from Comcast?
>> Turning off Automatic  Crash Recovery is not a 'fix'. You have to
>> determine
>> and correct the underlying reason for the tab/window crash (incompatible
>> Addon or (rarely) malicious web sites that attempt to do something that
>> looks like a malware attack, and usually involves one of your IE Addons
>> installed on your computer).
>>
>> "Jeffrey W. Bowen" <NOmcquireSPAM@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message
>> > Hello Kitty,
>> >
>> > In Internet Explorer go to:
>> >
>> > Tools - Internet Options, and click on the Advanced Tab.
>> >
>> > Scroll down to 'Browsing'.
>> >
>> > The eighth line down says, "Enable automatic crash recovery." Clear the
>> > check box next to it, and that should solve your problem.
>> >
>> > I hope this helps. Good luck.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Peace,
>> >
>> > Jeffrey W. Bowen
>> > Remove NO SPAM entries from email address to send personal email.
>> >
>> > Please post replies of successes or failures so we all can benefit from
>> > each others' experiences.
>> >
>> > "Kitti Ritter" <Kitti Ritter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> > message

0
rob
1/26/2010 10:00:53 PM
It is A solution. Disabling it will cause no harm as it is only specific to
browser crashes not whole system crashes. Disabling it *Will Not* cause
problems for the whole computer system.

I don't discount there may be other reasons for this issue. Some addons can
cause browser crashes, but not serious enough to require a whole system
reboot. Any program that causes a whole system to freeze or crash can not be
prevented or remedied by a simple crash protection feature intended only to
recover browser history when a crash occurs.

Just open your browser and end the iexplorer.exe processes(usually at least
two show up even if only one window is open) and then reopen the browser and
the message will come up. Disable the feature and do the same and open IE
and you will go directly to your home page.

Now, according to the Op, before logging off, IE is closed and no windows
are open. This tells me that you are correct at least in seeking out the
cause for the message which may or may not be linked to an incompatible or
out-dated addon. I can at least give you that.

My argument is just as I stated above.

Your suggestions may be helpful to prevent crashes, but Automatic Crash
Recovery will only allow the browser to recover from a crash in a tab or a
whole browser session.

The original poster is a person named Kitti Ritter. She is the one who needs
help. So direct your posts to her and not me.

Finally, please note that in my last two posts, I conceded that this may not
be the only or most helpful solution. It is merely a fix. I posted a link
for Kitti that most likely may be more helpful to prevent IE from wanting to
restore the previous session every time she opens IE.

I know your are suggesting that the browser crashes (after close?) may be
caused by a potentially more serious problem, and that is Kitti's concern.

 I think you would do her a better service by directing helpful information
along those lines to her in future posts rather than debating with me over
whether disabling a browser feature is a good idea or not.

So I consider this the end of our discussion on this matter. My future posts
to this topic will only be directed to the Kitti, or others who may wish to
address me directly for whatever reason.

Respectfully submitted.
--

> [...]
>>> off could put your browser into a loop that you can't get out of without
>>> a machine reboot.
>>>
>>> To test is an Addon is causing the problem either run IE in no-Addons
>>> mode or stop your Addons from being loaded in IE with
>>>
>>> Tools>Internet Options - Advanced tab, uncheck "Enable third-party
>>> browser extensions" and then close ALL IE windows, then restart IE.
>>>
>>> Jeff - a version of the Comcast toolbar has been reported as
>>> incompatible with IE8. Have you checked for an update from Comcast?
>>> Turning off Automatic  Crash Recovery is not a 'fix'. You have to
>>> determine and correct the underlying reason for the tab/window crash
>>> (incompatible Addon or (rarely) malicious web sites that attempt to do
>>> something that looks like a malware attack, and usually involves one of
>>> your IE Addons installed on your computer).

1/26/2010 10:35:14 PM
http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ProjectName=ie8whitepapers&ReleaseId=582

> [...]
>>> may support your "loop" theory, I have found none. You need to come up
>>> with a better reason like, you tried my suggestion and it didn't help.
>>> Or that disabling the feature won't fix the problem because (insert
>>> reliable reason here other than toolbar/add on incompatiblity or
>>> maleware). That would be good enough.
>>>
>>> All that aside, I have also searched for a better solution than mine and
>>> think I may have found one that I will suggest to the Op. I can humbly
>>> thank you for at least motivating me to seek out a possibly better
>>> solution for the Op.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Peace,
>>>
>>> Jeffrey W. Bowen
>>> Remove NO SPAM entries from email address to send personal email.
>>>
>>> Please post replies of successes or failures so we all can benefit from

1/26/2010 11:14:08 PM
I see you have things well in hand, Rob.

Good luck and I appreciated our discussion.

--

> [...]
>>> machine reboot.
>>>
>>> To test is an Addon is causing the problem either run IE in no-Addons
>>> mode
>>> or stop your Addons from being loaded in IE with
>>>
>>> Tools>Internet Options - Advanced tab, uncheck "Enable third-party
>>> browser
>>> extensions" and then close ALL IE windows, then restart IE.
>>>
>>> Jeff - a version of the Comcast toolbar has been reported as
>>> incompatible
>>> with IE8. Have you checked for an update from Comcast?
>>> Turning off Automatic  Crash Recovery is not a 'fix'. You have to
>>> determine
>>> and correct the underlying reason for the tab/window crash (incompatible
>>> Addon or (rarely) malicious web sites that attempt to do something that
>>> looks like a malware attack, and usually involves one of your IE Addons

1/26/2010 11:40:14 PM
Jeff,

I am not trying to put you down or be cynical. No-body (including anybody at
MS) knows everything about IE. We appreciate your contribution in answering
ppls questions. I am a volunteer also.

I am only concerned that others may read your suggestion of disabling this
setting, when the underlying cause will go uncorrected. By default Automatic
Crash Recovery is enabled in IE8 for very good reasons. I would only turn it
off if I am debugging an IE Addon and wanted to examine the stack trace from
my debugging application. Your average 'User' should never have to adjust it
from its default setting.

Your average 'User' should also not have to resort to Group Policy edits
(which require Administrator access).

CCCleaner? A search of this newsgroup will reveal in what situations this
product has been suggested.

Links found on this page that you referred to
http://www.windowsreference.com/internet-explorer/howto-disable-the-reopen-last-browsing-session-feature-in-ie8/

are to known malware sites (yes even Google Adsence can get it wrong). I am
using the MVP hosts file to bridle access.

Regards.

> I see you have things well in hand, Rob.
>
> Good luck and I appreciated our discussion.
>
> --
> Peace,
>
> Jeffrey W. Bowen
> Remove NO SPAM entries from email address to send personal email.
>
> Please post replies of successes or failures so we all can benefit from
> each others' experiences.
>
> "rob^_^" <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Kitti,
>>
>> Ok, third-party browser extensions disabled does not fix the issue.
>>
>> It could be something in your Windows Startup list or a downloaded Active
>> X control.
>>
>> To disable items in your windows startup list - Start>Run>msconfig,
>> Startup tab. uncheck anything Google, Quicktime or AOL or that looks like
>> it is an update checking program. You will be prompted to re-boot.
>>
>> Testing if it is a version of an ActiveX control that is causing the
>> automatic crash recovery.
>>
>> Start IE in no-Addons mode. Start>Programs>Accessories>System
>> Tools>Internet Explorer (no-Addons). This starts IE with ALL addons
>> disabled (including ActiveX) whereas "Third-party browser extensions
>> stops Toolbars and BrowserHelpers only from being loaded when IE starts).
>>
>> If the no-Addons mode works then there have been a lot of problems with
>> Adobe Flash versions. Post back if no-Addons mode does not cause tab
>> crashes and we can give you detailed instructions to repair your Adobe
>> Flash installation.
>> Another indication that it is Flash related is that your IE8 does not
>> 'crash recover' from every web site you visit, but only from SOME sites
>> that are hosting flash animations or offering PDF document downloads.
>>
>> or
>> Tools>Manage Addons, select the 'Downloaded Controls' view and select all
>> items in the list. Right click to display the context menu and select
>> Copy, then paste the list back into a reply post here for us to examine
>> and maybe identify any known Addon/ActiveX incompatibility issues.
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> "Kitti Ritter" <KittiRitter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Rob:
>>> I have no addons, however I did go ahead and disable the third-party
>>> browser
>>> extensions in order to test your theory. After closing all windows,
>>> logging
>>> off, shutting down and then restarting I still receive the message
>>> window.
>>> This only happens after a system shutdown, not when closing and opening
>>> IE
>>> only.
>>> Kitti

0
rob
1/27/2010 12:08:03 AM
I took no offense. We disagree, and that is all.

Good luck.

--

> [...]
>>> stops Toolbars and BrowserHelpers only from being loaded when IE
>>> starts).
>>>
>>> If the no-Addons mode works then there have been a lot of problems with
>>> Adobe Flash versions. Post back if no-Addons mode does not cause tab
>>> crashes and we can give you detailed instructions to repair your Adobe
>>> Flash installation.
>>> Another indication that it is Flash related is that your IE8 does not
>>> 'crash recover' from every web site you visit, but only from SOME sites
>>> that are hosting flash animations or offering PDF document downloads.
>>>
>>> or
>>> Tools>Manage Addons, select the 'Downloaded Controls' view and select
>>> all items in the list. Right click to display the context menu and
>>> select Copy, then paste the list back into a reply post here for us to
>>> examine and maybe identify any known Addon/ActiveX incompatibility

1/27/2010 2:07:53 AM
Logging off is not the correct way to shutdown Internet Explorer. To
shut down Internet Explorer, click on the red 'X' in the upper right
corner of the frame, or use the menu: File > Exit. Shutting down
Internet Explorer properly will probably solve your problem.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Kitti Ritter wrote:
> 1. First I log off using the start menu option
> 2. All windows are closed at time of log off and shutdown
> 3. I have regular automatic scans for spyware, etc.
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> 1. How do you normally shut down Internet Explorer?
>>
>> 2. Is Internet Explorer closed when you shut down Windows?
>>
>> 3. Have you thoroughly scanned your system for malware?
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> Kitti Ritter wrote:
>>> Is there a way to disable the 'your last browsing session closed
>>> unexpectedly' message box? Every time I click to open IE8 after starting the
>>> computer from a shut down I receive this message box. Thanks.
>>>
>> .

0
Leonard
1/27/2010 2:08:28 AM
Jeffrey:

Thanks for explaining how the auto crash recovery works. I have reenabled
this option in IE.

In the link you provided, CCleaner is one of the recommendations for
preventing the annoying message box to appear. I have been using this utility
for the past few years and it does a great job. I usually run the cleaner
before shut down but never received a message box if I didn't. Since I
installed IE8 only a couple of days ago when installing Windows 7, perhaps it
was not included in my earlier version of IE. So, I experimented and found
that if the cleaner is run before shut down, no message box appears! However,
I will still run the disable file from the linked website and hope it doesn't
screw up anything else.

Your help has been greatly appreciated. Not many take the time to be so
thorough.

Kitti :)

"Jeffrey W. Bowen" wrote:

> Hello again Kitti (sorry, I mispelled your name last time),
>
> I have looked around for any possibility of a better solution than my
> original suggestion and found this link:
>
> http://www.windowsreference.com/internet-explorer/howto-disable-the-reopen-last-browsing-session-feature-in-ie8/
>
> If you have Windows XP Professional, you can use the instructions for
> changing it through the 'Group Policy' feature which is the most desirable
> suggestion in this article.
>
> This site also gives instructions on how to edit the registry (be very
> careful if you have to use this option, or get a certified tech or trusted
> techie friend do this for you) to fix this problem if you do not have
> Windows XP Professional.
>
> It also gives instructions on how to use a program called 'CCcleaner which I
> have seen suggested most often both by MVPs and other helpful techies in the
> MS newsgroups. This is probably an even better option than editing the
> registry if you can't use the Group Policy method of disabling it.
>
> So, as to my last post, you can probably disregard that, and leave the auto
> crash recovery enabled since disabling it will only prevent you from
> recovering from a browser crash which means you will just have to restart
> your browser session.
>
> I hope this is at least a little more helpful. Good luck.
>
> --
> Peace,
>
> Jeffrey W. Bowen
> Remove NO SPAM entries from email address to send personal email.
>
> Please post replies of successes or failures so we all can benefit from each
> others' experiences.
>

> "Kitti Ritter" <Kitti Ritter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a way to disable the 'your last browsing session closed
> > unexpectedly' message box? Every time I click to open IE8 after starting
> > the
> > computer from a shut down I receive this message box. Thanks.
> >

> .

Thanks and you are very welcome Kitti,

I am glad that you were able to give my suggestion a chance.

If you don't want to have to run CCleaner every time you shut down to
prevent that message from coming up, Leonard Grey posted a reply to your
description of how you shut down that suggests you close all IE windows
first before logging off. See his post dated: 1/26/2010 8:08 pm

Good luck

--

> [...]
>> recovering from a browser crash which means you will just have to restart
>> your browser session.
>>
>> I hope this is at least a little more helpful. Good luck.
>>
>> --
>> Peace,
>>
>> Jeffrey W. Bowen
>> Remove NO SPAM entries from email address to send personal email.
>>
>> Please post replies of successes or failures so we all can benefit from
>> each
>> others' experiences.
>>

>> "Kitti Ritter" <Kitti Ritter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Is there a way to disable the 'your last browsing session closed
>> > unexpectedly' message box? Every time I click to open IE8 after
>> > starting
>> > the
>> > computer from a shut down I receive this message box. Thanks.

0
Jeffrey

Backup & restore
I want to backup outlook 2002. I am unable to locate the .pst file. I am using windows xp. Pls advise. And where can I locate bookmark file for backup? Thanks The default location of your pst is: C:\Documents and Settings\*****\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook Note: Substitute ***** with your own username profile. You may also have to set your folder options to SHOW HIDDEN FOLDERS AND FILES because the LOCAL SETTINGS folder is hidden. The file you want is OUTLOOK.PST >-----Original Message----- >I want to backup outlook 2002. I am unable to locate >the ...

Force a page break in code
I need to force a page break in the Detail_OnFormat Event when a value changes. How do I do that? Thanks, Bill Bill wrote: > I need to force a page break in the Detail_OnFormat > Event when a value changes. How do I do that? > > Thanks, > Bill Insert a PageBreak control from the ToolBox bar at the desired location. Even though such a control is never "visible" other than in design view they do still have a Visible property. That property effectively turns on and off the PageBreak so you can minipulate that in your code. -- Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP...

!!HELP!!! Cannot connect to Exchange Server from a RDP, ICA session or server local machine
Please excuse the posting as I wasn't sure which group to post this in. I'm having issues using Outlook from a server desktop, an RDP or ICA connection. I have remote users who connect using Citrix. They logon to the Citrix server desktop (Windows 2003 Server) and use Outlook from there. They can also use Outlook from within Citrix as it is a Published Application. I know some of you are going to suggest why don't they use OWA but let's not get into that. I can log onto any workstation here in the office and connect to the Exchange server and open their Outlook. What I and they...

Menu Page
I'd like to make a menu page with buttons to jump between spreadsheets of a workbook. I will turn off the tabs at the bottom in order to do this, but I'm looking for code for my menu buttons to flip to each spreadsheet. Also to return to the menu from a specific spreadsheet, I'd like to use a right click to jump back to the menu. Can someone help me with this. I'm used to programming in MS Access, so programming in MS Excel is a new venture for me. Thanks, PC How about an alternative... Create that index worksheet and put hyperlinks to A1 of each sheet. And then put a hyp...

Moving from Home & Student to Full version of Office
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I need Exchange support and therefore I am planning to buy the Full version of MS Office 2008 for Mac. I already purchased and installed (and have been using) MS Office 2008 Home & Student edition. My questions are: 1. Should I uninstall the Home & Student edition before installing the Full version? (I assume so). 2. How do I make sure that the data I have already created in Office 2008 Home & Student edition will be available to me after installing the Full version? In particular, how do I make sure that ...

Why is Excel changing the last 2 digits of a 17 digit num to 00.
When I enter a 17 digit number in a cell in Excel, the last 2 digits turn to 00 when I leave the cell. Format - Cell does not have a setting to stop this 'feature'. How do I make Excel recongize the large number? On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 19:09:01 -0700, "Allie" <Allie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I enter a 17 digit number in a cell in Excel, the last 2 digits turn to >00 when I leave the cell. Format - Cell does not have a setting to stop this >'feature'. Excel Specifications and Limits: Calculation specifications Feature Maximu...

Detect page change in PropertySheet?
Hi, I have a property sheet that is the parent of several property pages. If the user clicks a tab to change to another page, is there a way I can detect this (and possibly prevent the change) in the PropertySheet dialog? Does windows/MFC send any kind of message to the PropertySheet dialog? I looked at all of the over-rides and WM_ message, but cannot see anything. Thanks! Not directly. You can catch that in the CPropertyPage and relay the message to the CPropertySheet. (I know you are asking, why doesn't the CPropertySheet get the notificatio first? who knows!) AliR. "...

View as web page in OWA
in OWA 2002, i remember there is a feature "View as web page" on the right side of the email. in OWA 2003, after open the received email, such feature no longer there. Anyway to enable this feature? ...

I need help restoring Public Folders
Hi I've been having issues getting Public Folder replication going between 2 Exchange 2003 servers. Prior to doing any work I performed a Backup using Veritas Backup Exec and this completed and verified correctly. I screwed things up and managed to delete some of the public folders on my original server. I'm not 100% sure what I did but it is a mess and the only backup I have is the Exchange backup I created before doing any work. The public folders contain a number of Contact Lists and a very important Event Calendar. I have restored the public folders but when the restore c...

Page break preview & blue line
I using Excel 2003 In page break preview I have always do some thing wrong I'm just pull the blue line by using mouse all page was destroyed It there any tips to return the blue line to the Default pages size setting As far as I know the 'default' print area is all the data, and once you have changed the print area and saved the file you can not get it to go back to the previous setting. If you have problems with this or any other proceedure do try to remember to save your file before you do the awkward bit and then you can go back to the saved copy it it does not work. ...

How do I print only odd pages in Publisher and then only even page
I am attempting duplex printing with a printer that is unable to do duplex printing by printing odd pages first and then flipping the pages over and printing only even pages. No option is given that I can find in the print window. Help! Sarah Wright wrote: > I am attempting duplex printing with a printer that is unable to do > duplex printing by printing odd pages first and then flipping the > pages over and printing only even pages. > > No option is given that I can find in the print window. > > Help! The duplex printing add-in can be found here (http://publisherm...

M2004 Won't Save Customized Toolbars / Home Page
Unable to find anything in archives or the UFAQ on this... My Money 2004 file recently stopped saving customized toolbars / home page. Any changes I make don't "stick". I've used super salvage, which supposedly found and corrected some errors, but the problem persists. Any ideas? Thanks. Try this (and it is in the UFAQ under a less specific topic at http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=153). Stop Money Express. Change your toolbar stuff. Exit Money. Restart Money. Restart Money Express. "Sock" <sock@wideopenwest.com> wrote in message news:8205f05b.04101407...

Online Restore using NT Backup has no edb.chk or edb.log files
I have a single site with four servers running Exchange 5.5 SP4 on NT4 SP6a. I am using an internal 35/70 Compaq DLT. When I back up two servers at the same time using online method, I am missing the edb.log and and edb.chk files when trying to restore the db's. Is there a known issue for this? Thanks, Jim When you make online backup, you are backing up the database content perse, the logs files will be skipped because ntbackup cannot back up open files. I recomend you to adquire a third party backup software with open files and exchange database options, like Veritas to ensu...

Add a blank page separator
How do I add a blank page automatically as a separator after every 15 pages when printing a document of 250 pages? Use a macro containing the following code to print the document: Dim i As Long Dim blank As Document For i = 1 To 240 Step 15 ActiveDocument.PrintOut Range:=wdPrintFromTo, From:=i, To:=i + 15 Set blank = Documents.Add With blank .PrintOut .Close wdDoNotSaveChanges End With Next i -- Hope this helps, Doug Robbins - Word MVP Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services on a paid professio...

Fueling your car with natural gas from home
Dear Everyone, as you know the price of the Oil is more and more increasing, while the oil supply is decreasing. Moreover Oil is causing wars, terror, oil spills, a lot of greenhouse gases. Do you know that there is plenty of natural gas ? The supply will last for many decades, probably for hundred years. A lot of methane (natural gas) is found as shale gas, a lot more will come from methane hidrates. Natural gas is causing much less greenhouse gases and since it is found locally, it will not cause any wars or terror. It will create jobs in your own country and not in the middle east...

Formula to find last monday (tue, wedn, thu or friday) for a given month
Hi, I need a formula to calculate the date of the last monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday or friday of a given month. Can't seem to find the answer anywhere. example: day: wednesday (or corresponding nr) month: 3 year: 2004 Result: 31/03/04 Who can help? Thank you for reading and eventually answering my question.Back Visit http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeWS.htm#DaysInMonth -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Michele" <mw001@pandora.be> wrote in message news:b30b6913.0402090708.556d0faa@posting.google.com... > Hi, > I need a...

How do I set up mixed page orientations in Publisher 2003?
I'm trying to create a duplex publication where one side is in portrait and the reverse is in landscape. I've tried looking in the halp and through all the menus but it seems that I can only have one or the other. Can anybody help? Publisher (any version) does not support this. The workaround most frequently offered is to design your landscape page, group the all the objects, then rotate 90 degrees. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "T. Mitchell"...

how do I keep email messages online and also go to outlook
When I open outlook my email messages go to outlook and if I am away from home can no longer open my yahoo mail account or att mail acount and see my messages because then downloaded into my outlook. Is there a way to have the move ot outlook, but not leave my online account? Set Outlook to leave messages on the server for the accounts in question. -- Russ Valentine "jann" <jann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:146B7F22-72FC-4BF6-A672-06EC5ED88C87@microsoft.com... > When I open outlook my email messages go to outlook and if I am away from &...

Saving as web page
When publishing spreadsheets as web pages I would like to set the page to fit within a full screen view. I have some that fit and some that don't and I've worked with the formats in Excel to fit everything within the screen on all of them, but that doesn't seem to help. Can I set the format to do this? Thank you in advance for your assistance. Jeff ...

Non AD emails going to 1 user
I have an Exchange 2003 server running on SBS 2003 the issues is one user is getting all the emails sent to him that look like they are coming from his domain. For example his email is user@mydomain.com but in his inbox he is getting XYZ@mydomain.com but XYZ is not in the AD or has a email box set up on this server. Why is getting this non AD email and how can I stop it. Thanks in advance Are you sure it's not a SPAM where the spammer may have simply put in 123abc@mydomain.com and BCC it to all possible conceivable names @mydomain.com?? R Green "LaOVis" <LaOVis@discuss...

Colors matching on a page ....
Has anybody had any problems with creating a document in Publisher and using more than one color on the page, but having more than one color appear when printing? I have checked the color of the font and they are all the same...but when I print, one line may come out one color and the next one, another. Close...but not the same. And I have checked to make sure they are the same colors in every aspect. They are...until I print????? Why is this happening and how can I fix it? Liz wrote: > Has anybody had any problems with creating a document in Publisher > and using more than ...

Showing No. of Pages in a cell
I've set up a workbook to print data with page breaks in various places. The amount of the data can increase or decrease, either by sheer volume or by filtering. I would like to notify the user the number of pages that will be printed depending on the setup/filtering/volume of data, etc. I realise there is the Option to have the total number of pages printed at the bottom (or top)via the Footer (or header) facility in Page setup, but I want to show this elsewhere. Is there some way to do this? Rob Rob Sub Page_Nos() TotalPages = ExecuteExcel4Macro("Get.Document(50)&quo...