Microsoft Update browser detection error

I go through once a month and touch workstations used by volunteers.  I
manually install Windows updates and other updates and a general
operation check.  Upon inspection this month, one workstation I launched
MU and a window came up stating that MU only works with IE5 or later.
This workstation had IE7 installed.  I thought the easiest and quickest
fix would be to update to IE8, which I did.  But manually launching MU
after gave me the same display page, that IE5 or later must be used.  So
when the WU shield came up, I downloaded and installed the updates that
way, but I'm still wondering what is up with trying to access the site
via IE.

Any suggestions on a fix?

Terry R.
Terry

"Terry R." <F1Com@NOSPAMpobox.com> wrote in message
> I go through once a month and touch workstations used by volunteers.  I
> manually install Windows updates and other updates and a general operation
> check.  Upon inspection this month, one workstation I launched MU and a
> window came up stating that MU only works with IE5 or later.

That's a symptom that your User-Agent is corrupt.   Fix your User-Agent or
use a tool like UAPick to make sure that  WU/MU  gets one it likes.

> This workstation had IE7 installed.  I thought the easiest and quickest
> fix would be to update to IE8, which I did.  But manually launching MU
> after gave me the same display page, that IE5 or later must be used.  So
> when the WU shield came up, I downloaded and installed the updates that
> way, but I'm still wondering what is up with trying to access the site via
> IE.
>
> Any suggestions on a fix?
>

> Terry R.
> --
> Anti-spam measures are included in my email address.
> Delete NOSPAM from the email address after clicking Reply.

0
Robert
4/15/2010 5:41:07 PM
On 4/15/2010 10:41 AM On a whim, Robert Aldwinckle pounded out on the
keyboard

> "Terry R."<F1Com@NOSPAMpobox.com>  wrote in message
>> I go through once a month and touch workstations used by volunteers.  I
>> manually install Windows updates and other updates and a general operation
>> check.  Upon inspection this month, one workstation I launched MU and a
>> window came up stating that MU only works with IE5 or later.
>

> That's a symptom that your User-Agent is corrupt.   Fix your User-Agent or
> use a tool like UAPick to make sure that  WU/MU  gets one it likes.
>

>> This workstation had IE7 installed.  I thought the easiest and quickest
>> fix would be to update to IE8, which I did.  But manually launching MU
>> after gave me the same display page, that IE5 or later must be used.  So
>> when the WU shield came up, I downloaded and installed the updates that
>> way, but I'm still wondering what is up with trying to access the site via
>> IE.
>>
>> Any suggestions on a fix?
>>

>> Terry R.

Thanks Robert.  I'll do that.

Terry R.
Terry
4/15/2010 9:46:11 PM
On 4/15/2010 10:41 AM On a whim, Robert Aldwinckle pounded out on the
keyboard

> "Terry R."<F1Com@NOSPAMpobox.com>  wrote in message
>> I go through once a month and touch workstations used by volunteers.  I
>> manually install Windows updates and other updates and a general operation
>> check.  Upon inspection this month, one workstation I launched MU and a
>> window came up stating that MU only works with IE5 or later.
>

> That's a symptom that your User-Agent is corrupt.   Fix your User-Agent or
> use a tool like UAPick to make sure that  WU/MU  gets one it likes.
>

>> This workstation had IE7 installed.  I thought the easiest and quickest
>> fix would be to update to IE8, which I did.  But manually launching MU
>> after gave me the same display page, that IE5 or later must be used.  So
>> when the WU shield came up, I downloaded and installed the updates that
>> way, but I'm still wondering what is up with trying to access the site via
>> IE.
>>
>> Any suggestions on a fix?
>>

>> Terry R.

I checked the UA and everything was correct.  I even tried removing
entries from the Post Platform key in the registry per a MS KB article
and no change.

I then changed IE to be the default browser.  Then MU would run.  I
changed FF back to the default browser and MU would still run in IE.

I would like to know what was horked to cause that issue even after
upgrading IE.

Terry R.
Terry
4/16/2010 5:37:32 PM
[I've read your other replies.]

Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit
SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2) as well as your IE version when
posting in an IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your
next reply.

subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than
Defender)?  What third-party firewall (if any)?

computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when it
was purchased)?

On the computer in question, open IE (only!) to this page:
http://www.fiddlertool.com/ua.aspx. Highlight/select all of the red
text at the top of the page and copy it to your clipboard. (Also
scroll down to see if an issue has been detected and a possible
resolution offered.) Open a reply to this post & paste the contents of
your clipboard into your reply.

On Apr 15, 12:13=A0pm, "Terry R." <F1...@NOSPAMpobox.com> wrote:
> I go through once a month and touch workstations used by volunteers. =A0I
> manually install Windows updates and other updates and a general
> operation check. =A0Upon inspection this month, one workstation I launche=
> MU and a window came up stating that MU only works with IE5 or later.
> This workstation had IE7 installed. =A0I thought the easiest and quickest
> fix would be to update to IE8, which I did. =A0But manually launching MU
> after gave me the same display page, that IE5 or later must be used. =A0S=
> when the WU shield came up, I downloaded and installed the updates that
> way, but I'm still wondering what is up with trying to access the site
> via IE.
>
> Any suggestions on a fix?
0
PA
4/16/2010 6:24:32 PM
On 4/16/2010 11:24 AM On a whim, PA Bear, MS MVP pounded out on the keyboard

> [I've read your other replies.]
>
> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit
> SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2) as well as your IE version when
> posting in an IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your
> next reply.

XP sp3 - I did state the IE version.

> subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than
> Defender)?  What third-party firewall (if any)?

No AV or AS is running on this particular workstation.

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when it
> was purchased)?

No.

> On the computer in question, open IE (only!) to this page:
> http://www.fiddlertool.com/ua.aspx. Highlight/select all of the red
> text at the top of the page and copy it to your clipboard. (Also
> scroll down to see if an issue has been detected and a possible
> resolution offered.) Open a reply to this post&  paste the contents of
> your clipboard into your reply.

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR
2.09.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR
3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)

> On Apr 15, 12:13 pm, "Terry R."<F1...@NOSPAMpobox.com>  wrote:
>> I go through once a month and touch workstations used by volunteers.  I
>> manually install Windows updates and other updates and a general
>> operation check.  Upon inspection this month, one workstation I launched
>> MU and a window came up stating that MU only works with IE5 or later.
>> This workstation had IE7 installed.  I thought the easiest and quickest
>> fix would be to update to IE8, which I did.  But manually launching MU
>> after gave me the same display page, that IE5 or later must be used.  So
>> when the WU shield came up, I downloaded and installed the updates that
>> way, but I'm still wondering what is up with trying to access the site
>> via IE.
>>
>> Any suggestions on a fix?

Terry R.
Terry
4/16/2010 10:02:00 PM
On 4/16/2010 11:24 AM On a whim, PA Bear, MS MVP pounded out on the keyboard

> [I've read your other replies.]
>
> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit
> SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2) as well as your IE version when
> posting in an IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your
> next reply.

> subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than
> Defender)?  What third-party firewall (if any)?

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when it
> was purchased)?
>
> On the computer in question, open IE (only!) to this page:
> http://www.fiddlertool.com/ua.aspx. Highlight/select all of the red
> text at the top of the page and copy it to your clipboard. (Also
> scroll down to see if an issue has been detected and a possible
> resolution offered.) Open a reply to this post&  paste the contents of
> your clipboard into your reply.
>
> On Apr 15, 12:13 pm, "Terry R."<F1...@NOSPAMpobox.com>  wrote:
>> I go through once a month and touch workstations used by volunteers.  I
>> manually install Windows updates and other updates and a general
>> operation check.  Upon inspection this month, one workstation I launched
>> MU and a window came up stating that MU only works with IE5 or later.
>> This workstation had IE7 installed.  I thought the easiest and quickest
>> fix would be to update to IE8, which I did.  But manually launching MU
>> after gave me the same display page, that IE5 or later must be used.  So
>> when the WU shield came up, I downloaded and installed the updates that
>> way, but I'm still wondering what is up with trying to access the site
>> via IE.
>>
>> Any suggestions on a fix?

Did you have a reason to request info and not respond?

Terry R.
Terry

error messages 03-03-10
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Email Client: pop Was syncing entourage with mailme when i got an error message. I clicked it off and they kept coming...at one time I had 20 on the screen. I had to close the program and then turn off my Macbook Pro, then turn it on. I cannot use Entourage without this happening...opened it and one popped right up. On 2010-03-02 22:09:33 -0500, padreruf@officeformac.com said: > Was syncing entourage with mailme when i got an error message. I > clicked it off and they kept coming...at one time I had 20 on the &...

Junk E-Mail Lists Error in Outlook 2003 with Exchange 2003
I have seen several people post about this error message that comes up in Outlook, but so far I haven't seen anyone respond. I am running an Exchange 2003 server with SP1 and my client is Outlook 2003. I installed IMF a few weeks ago, and it appears that this message started soon afterwards. I have now uninstalled IMF, but am still receiving the message. My end users are getting frustrated, as am I. There also appears to be an error in the IMF deployment guide about adding a registry key to increase the list size in Exchange. It states to "right click System", but there is n...

CRM 3.0 Reports:Error when trying to open reports on client m/c
I am unable to access CRM Reports from any other machine except the CRM Server (Physical) box. I logged in as different users on the CRM server and was able to open and see all of the reports based on roles. But I am not able to view reports from any of the client machines. I am accessing Reports through a web-client. Upon trying to access reports through a client machine, I get the message " An error has occurred. For more information, contact your system administrator". This does not tell me anything I do not see anything unusual in the Web server (CRM Server), or the Da...

Error while Archiving email
I am getting error while trying to archive email from Exchange Mailbox to archive file. Here is the error Error while archiving "Inbox" in store "Mailbox-<user name>". Unknown error I created new archive file and tried to archive I keep getting same error. I tried this from different workstation too. I am administrator on local machine and running Windows 2000 pro with SP4 and Office XP with SP3, my email is on Exchange 2000 server with SP3. Any help on this is greatly appriciated. Thanks, Dinesh ...

Timeout error
When I open outlook I get a Timeout error. I can ping the exchange server. Any ideas. Thanks, Wesley try to expand timeout time . There is an option in an advanced menu for that account.. "Wesley Steele" <ws@fulcrumgroup.co.za>, iletide �unu yazd� news:OE0K1sbUDHA.3308@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > When I open outlook I get a Timeout error. > > I can ping the exchange server. > > Any ideas. > > Thanks, > Wesley > > ...

Report Load Error via CRM
I am loading a very basic report that had a complex query but works fine when running it in VS2005. When I attempt to load the report via the CRM 4.0 GUI, I get the following error message: An error has occurred. Try this action again. If the problem continues, check the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Community for solutions or contact your organization's Microsoft Dynamics CRM Administrator. Finally, you can contact Microsoft Support." This report does not have any parameters at all, and the most intense thing are embedded select statements which I have done on other reports. I have instal...

Trouble using resolution for Outlook error
I am recieving the error in Outlook mentioned on the following page: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822503 The instructions say to resolve the issue for an existing installation, specify the *.pst file by using the Mail icon in Control Panel. First of all, I do not know what *.pst file they are referring to. The following directory on my machine: C:\Documents and Settings\Nathan Sokalski\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook Contains the following *.pst files: archive.pst njsokalski@hotmail.comHotmail-00000002.pst Outlook1.pst Outlook.pst I am ver...

Duplicate detection upon import
Unfortunately, we use several different databases at my organization but in order to manage our customers, we import records from these databases into CRM. We have c360 for detecting duplicates once they're already in CRM. Is anyone aware of a product that checks for duplicate upon import into CRM? Brewhill, What method are you using to import the records and which records are you importing? We have a tool that checks for duplicates on import. -- Jeff Loucks [MVP] Available Technology 888-474-2237 Come see our CRM presentations at TechEd and SMB Nation on integrating other Micro...

Crystal Report error: information is needed 02-03-04
After reinstalling CRM I get this error when I try to get a report. I know there is information since I'm just asking for the user list. ---------------------------------------- CrystalReportViewer Information is needed before this report can be processed. Information is needed before this report can be processed. ---------------------------------------- Any Ideas? Thanks Also recieved this error, and have logged an issue with MS, no resolution yet. One tip they did provide, remove any underscores ("_") from the server name. This has resolved the issue for a lot ...

EXCEL.exe has generated errors
For an knowned reason, the following message recently started to display when clicking on EXCEL on an Windows 2000 system. EXCEL.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will needed to restart the program. An error log is being created. (OK) Attempts have been made to repair, deinstall and reinstall Office 2000. However, the above message still displays with trying to bring up EXCEL. Can anyone help? This WebPage by Chip Pearson provides a good place to troubleshoot. http://www.cpearson.com/excel/StartupErrors.htm HTH Paul --...

Error During Send/Receive in Outlook 2003
Hi all, When i try and send/receive in outlook 2003 it sends out my mail fine however when it gets to receiving or updating the inbox i come up with the following error: Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x8007000E) : 'Out of memory or system resources. Close some windows or programs and try again.' I do not have any windows open. Below are the few things that i have tried already. -restart Outlook -make sure no windows are open -finaly restarted the computer and still no luck. Well Hope to get a solution. Best Regards What are you system specs ? CPU...

2003: LDAP Error
I have just installed Outlook 2003 and get an error message when typing names in the to: or cc: or bcc: field. The error header reads "Microsoft LDAP Diectory" The message is "LDAP Directory is unavailable (52)" Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Check the settings of the Address Book. Tools -> Address Book. "Dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:16e7a01c41791$16dbb210$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I have just installed Outlook 2003 and get an error > message when typing names in the to: or cc: or bcc: > field. >...

Error in posting 4 times! Frustrating problems with html signatures and styles (normal.dot)
I just learned that the message posted 4 times; I thought I had canceled the previous posts where I had not filled in the right newsgroups.... On my machine, it only shows posted 1 time; but I guess that the news server does not support cancellations of posts. Sorry about that...... ...

Outlook Express Error message #8
The following message comes up each time I try to send email thru Outlook Express": Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible cause for this indles server problem, network problems. or a long period of inactivity. Acct. 'IMAP.aol.com', Server:SMTP.aol.com Protocol:SMTP, Port 25, Secure(SSL) No. Socket Error 10061, Error #OX800CCOE. Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. Y...

5.6.3 error
We have a monitoring program sending us daily reports for all our servers. It's been running fine until we just hit a "magic" numbers of how many servers we monitor. The email sent is in xml format, including 3 .png images per server, so I guess we just passed 250 in total images, which are considered attachments. How can I up the number of allowed attachments in Exchange? Can't find this setting anywhere...! TIA!! / Per Wouldn't it be better to put that stuff up on a web page? I've never heard of such a limit; you must really be pushing the envelope. You...

Microsoft CRM Exchange
From previous listings I came across the fact that the email router or Microsoft CRM Exchange Connector sends and receives emails to and from CRM. Also that we can receive an email in outlook then click the Promote E-mail to CRM Activity button to move it into crm. Where is this button located. Should I be working on the server where CRM is installed to get this working? You will only have the Promote button if you have installed Sales For Outlook (or a third part add-in) This will be on the client pc, not (definitely not!) the server "Gautam" <gautam@fivepoints.net>...

SQL update.
Hi NG. I have a: Table_1 Query_1 Query_2 Report_1 Form_1 Module_1 with 1 macro. In my Formula_1 I have a ButtonA to activate Module_1 where I Delete all records in Table_1 and import a txt-file to Table_1. With ButtonB I can activate Report_1. Next to this Button I want count from Query_2. Query_2 (Count records in Table_1 (by using Query_1) and is also for Excel): SELECT Count(Ellos_SE_Alm_Q.Postby) AS SE_Alm FROM Ellos_SE_Alm_Q; I have Query_2 as a SUBform in Form_1. My problem is that I must close/open Form_1 for update and that is annoying. I do hope for a...

Error Signature
I'm currently using Outlook 2003, along with WinFax Pro 10.03. When I close my outlook, I receive a error signature, appname: outlook.exe AppVer 11.0.5510.0 etc. Microsoft K.B. suggests to upgrade to WinFax 10.03 as 10.02 will cause this issue but I am already using 10.03? Any suggestions would be appreciated. ...

Macro Error, annoying plz help?
Hi, new to this board and kinda new to Excel as well. I created an excell file which includes various (difficult) calculations. And it's all finished and ready for distribution :P Cept for 2 minor things which i can't seem 2 fix. The most important one is this Macro Error which keeps popping up when you open the file. (I included a combo-box form, i think it's gotta do with that). Because if u pick something from that list (combo box) the error pops up again, very annoying of course. There is one way to prevent this as far as i could see and that was by setting macro security low....

BP Installation Error
Someone post this question before:- MbfPackager data importation process has failed. please c:\DOCUME~1\ADMIN~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\MbfPackager.Import.NoMerge.Common.xml for more information. Problem: When installing Microsoft Business Portal 2.5. Can anyone help me on this error? I'm installing Business Portal 2.5 Feature Pack on Windows 2003 Standard Edition. And, the BP is reading the Great Plains 8.0 database at another server. Cheers, Emily ...

GP Update Company
I receive this error in GP utilities after upgrading from GP 8.0 to GP 10.0, SP4 on SQL Server 2005. Interestingly the update goes seamlessly for another company. The error seems to be associated with professional services tools library. The following SQL statement produced an error: create procedure dbo.taFSRMALineLot @I_vReturn_Record_Type smallint, @I_vRETDOCID char(15), @I_vLNSEQNBR numeric(19,5) = 0, @I_vQTYTYPE smallint = 1, @I_vSERLTQTY numeric(19,5) = 1, @I_vITEMNMBR char(31) = null, @I_vLOTNUMBR char(21) = null, @I_vLOCNCODE char(11) = null, @I_vSLTSQNUM inte...

Macro to update information if date changes
using Exel 2000.. I want excel to compare dates on two seperate worksheets and if the date on the first is greater than the second to insert rows and than copy cells on the second to different cells also on the second page. ie..main sheet date is 11-05-08 compared to sheet2 date is 11-04-08...insert cells at a21:d21 and shift cells down (on sheet2) then copy cells b13:h13 to a21:b21 The description seems a bit inconsistent, but here is a shot With Worksheets("Main Sheet") If .Range("A1").Value > Worksheets("Second Sheet").Range("A1&q...

80070002 error for KB923561 and KB973904
Good Morning, I just tried update my windows XP HOME SP3 system yesterday. There was quite a few of them i installed.. but I noticed when i tried to install the two mention in the subject. I get all sorts of issues. AAt first yesterdasy after downloading it was saying CANCELLED. I have been doing alot of research for this problem all yesterday and tried everything i read.. From renaming the system distribution folder.. catroots. to reregister the update system files (for example the wups and wups2. etc etc) just as the MS websitre said to when i was getting the ...

Error Code
BCCode 10000050 BCP1 E3D73000 BCP2 00000000 BCP3 804D9452 BCP4 00000001 Anything you can tell me with this error code? -- Ishoku ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Ishoku's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/224605.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/1340597.htm http://forums.techarena.in http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x50 -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. http://www.microsoft.com/pro...

Update Charts X-axis
I have a program with 76 charts. They all use the same range to get their x-axis (dates). At the first of every month, I change the dates to show the upcoming month. The table shows the entire year, but we just view it one month (fiscal) at a time. The series is by rows, but could be changed to columns if necessary. I inherited this program. Currently I have to update each one of them manually (click on each and change their XValues). Is there a way I can update all of them at one time? Could vba be used to select and update each chart with me just selecting the range? I am no stranger...