IE8 privacy question

I am running XP-Pro SP3 and considering upgrading from IE7 to IE8.
I have read all the feature and benefit articles from MS, but have one
question that remains unanswered.

In IE8 there is mention of being able to restore previously viewed websites
or something to that effect. I think this is on a drop down menu somewhere.

1) Does In-private viewing prevent this?
2) Does manually deleting your complete browsing history clear this?
3) Is there a registry entry that can prevent this action?
4) Is there a group policy change that can prevent this action?

In essence for privacy purposes, how does one prevent this from happening??

Thanks.

/Every/ web browser has the ability to show you a list of previously
visited websites and take you to any previously visited website on
request. This is known as the browser's 'History' feature. Every browser
also has the ability to erase the list of previously visited websites.

You might be referring to a feature of virtually every modern browser -
including IE 8 - that makes it possible to restore tabs that were open
if your browser crashes. Every browser that offers this feature also
allows you to turn the feature off.

'In-Private' browsing in IE 8 does not record internet History (or TIF
or cookies). However, your browsing history is still maintained by your
ISP, even with 'In-Private' browsing enabled.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Lexus50 wrote:
> I am running XP-Pro SP3 and considering upgrading from IE7 to IE8.
> I have read all the feature and benefit articles from MS, but have one
> question that remains unanswered.
>
> In IE8 there is mention of being able to restore previously viewed websites
> or something to that effect. I think this is on a drop down menu somewhere.
>
> 1) Does In-private viewing prevent this?
> 2) Does manually deleting your complete browsing history clear this?
> 3) Is there a registry entry that can prevent this action?
> 4) Is there a group policy change that can prevent this action?
>
> In essence for privacy purposes, how does one prevent this from happening??
>
> Thanks.
0
Leonard
6/16/2010 3:04:45 PM
Selected references include:

IE8 FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/support/faq.aspx

IE8 Tour
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/tour/default.aspx

IE8 Videos
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/videos.aspx (Silverlight)
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ie8videos&view=videos
   • Overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGzlJFx7YaE
   • Security Features: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMqcEEBogj4
   • Easier Browsing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gStCIkPUrhM
   • Compatibility View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSs1ulZKgCA
   • History of the Internet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsMFyo8DWs4

IE8 Features: Accelerators; Performance; Favorites & History Management;
Instant Search; Web Slices; Automatic Crash Recovery; InPrivate Browsing;
Security; and more. See the 3 tabs (i.e., Faster; Easier; Safer) on this
page:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/features/faster.aspx

IE8: Features & Benchmarks (ZDNet)
http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/productivity/0,1000001108,39630019,00.htm
   • Screenshot Tutorial:
http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/productivity/0,1000001108,39630014,00.htm

About IE7 & IE8 and Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/05/05/ie-and-xpsp3.aspx

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if a later version of
Internet Explorer is installed
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964

Customization in IE8:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2009/04/20/customization-in-ie8.aspx

IE8 and Reliability
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/07/28/ie8-and-reliability.aspx

Smart Address Bar: What's new?
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2009/06/12/ie8-smart-address-bar-what-s-new.aspx

Session Cookies, sessionStorage, and IE8 or “How can I log into two webmail
accounts at the same time?”
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2009/05/06/session-cookies-sessionstorage-and-ie8.aspx
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Lexus50 wrote:
> I am running XP-Pro SP3 and considering upgrading from IE7 to IE8.
> I have read all the feature and benefit articles from MS, but have one
> question that remains unanswered.
>
> In IE8 there is mention of being able to restore previously viewed
> websites
> or something to that effect. I think this is on a drop down menu
> somewhere.
>
> 1) Does In-private viewing prevent this?
> 2) Does manually deleting your complete browsing history clear this?
> 3) Is there a registry entry that can prevent this action?
> 4) Is there a group policy change that can prevent this action?
>
> In essence for privacy purposes, how does one prevent this from
> happening??
>
> Thanks.

0
PA
6/16/2010 3:22:12 PM
Lexus50;154159 Wrote:
> I am running XP-Pro SP3 and considering upgrading from IE7 to IE8.
> I have read all the feature and benefit articles from MS, but have one
> question that remains unanswered.
>
> In IE8 there is mention of being able to restore previously viewed
> websites
> or something to that effect. I think this is on a drop down menu
> somewhere.
>
> 1) Does In-private viewing prevent this?
> 2) Does manually deleting your complete browsing history clear this?
> 3) Is there a registry entry that can prevent this action?
> 4) Is there a group policy change that can prevent this action?
>
> In essence for privacy purposes, how does one prevent this from
> happening??
>
> Thanks.

Your browsing History will continue to show up under the address bar as
a part of the IE8's AutoComplete feature. However, you can keep your
History from being stored in AutoComplete by clicking Tools --> Internet
Options --> Content Tab (from the tabs across the top) --> and Settings
for AutoComplete.

There you can manage what shows up in your address bar. To make sure
that your History is excluded, just make sure that the box next to
History is not selected.

Does that answer your question?

Best,
Bryn

--
bryn_ie8team

bryn_ie8team
6/16/2010 5:35:51 PM
These guys show up from VistaHeads, Win7Heads and let's not forget
"Undisclosed". Sometimes they're the IE8 Team, other times the IE
Outreach team. They usually don't know what they're talking about (if
'they' are really more than one person) and they're definitely not
affiliated with Microsoft.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

bryn_ie8team wrote:
> Lexus50;154159 Wrote:
>> I am running XP-Pro SP3 and considering upgrading from IE7 to IE8.
>> I have read all the feature and benefit articles from MS, but have one
>> question that remains unanswered.
>>
>> In IE8 there is mention of being able to restore previously viewed
>> websites
>> or something to that effect. I think this is on a drop down menu
>> somewhere.
>>
>> 1) Does In-private viewing prevent this?
>> 2) Does manually deleting your complete browsing history clear this?
>> 3) Is there a registry entry that can prevent this action?
>> 4) Is there a group policy change that can prevent this action?
>>
>> In essence for privacy purposes, how does one prevent this from
>> happening??
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> Your browsing History will continue to show up under the address bar as
> a part of the IE8's AutoComplete feature. However, you can keep your
> History from being stored in AutoComplete by clicking Tools --> Internet
> Options --> Content Tab (from the tabs across the top) --> and Settings
> for AutoComplete.
>
> There you can manage what shows up in your address bar. To make sure
> that your History is excluded, just make sure that the box next to
> History is not selected.
>
> Does that answer your question?
>
> Best,
> Bryn

0
Leonard
6/16/2010 6:31:57 PM
+1

Leonard Grey wrote:
> These guys show up from VistaHeads, Win7Heads and let's not forget
> "Undisclosed". Sometimes they're the IE8 Team, other times the IE
> Outreach team. They usually don't know what they're talking about (if
> 'they' are really more than one person) and they're definitely not
> affiliated with Microsoft.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> bryn_ie8team wrote:
>> Lexus50;154159 Wrote:
>>> I am running XP-Pro SP3 and considering upgrading from IE7 to IE8.
>>> I have read all the feature and benefit articles from MS, but have one
>>> question that remains unanswered.
>>>
>>> In IE8 there is mention of being able to restore previously viewed
>>> websites
>>> or something to that effect. I think this is on a drop down menu
>>> somewhere.
>>>
>>> 1) Does In-private viewing prevent this?
>>> 2) Does manually deleting your complete browsing history clear this?
>>> 3) Is there a registry entry that can prevent this action?
>>> 4) Is there a group policy change that can prevent this action?
>>>
>>> In essence for privacy purposes, how does one prevent this from
>>> happening??
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> Your browsing History will continue to show up under the address bar as
>> a part of the IE8's AutoComplete feature. However, you can keep your
>> History from being stored in AutoComplete by clicking Tools --> Internet
>> Options --> Content Tab (from the tabs across the top) --> and Settings
>> for AutoComplete.
>>
>> There you can manage what shows up in your address bar. To make sure
>> that your History is excluded, just make sure that the box next to
>> History is not selected.
>>
>> Does that answer your question?
>>
>> Best,
>> Bryn
0
PA
6/17/2010 2:49:46 AM
Thanks for input to-date.  However, SPECIFICALLY - in IE8, in one of the
dropdown menus (I believe it is on the top right of the IE explorer window
either within Safety or next to), there is a selectable feature that shows
(something to the effect) restore prior browsing sesson or sites or sites
visited.  This is a selectable feature from within the IE window.

Since this is a touted feature of IE8, MS does not provide info that I can
find on how to disable, delete, or clear this area.  That is what I am
requesting info on.

It may be that this feature derives its info (history?) from the regular
history file and therefore is cleared when someone manually deletes browsing
history, but since I do not yet have IE8 installed, I dont know.

Can someone with IE8 installed locate this item, try clearing by vars means
and report back on how that effects this feature?  Also as suggested if there
is a way to turn this off or remove it - where is it?

thanks again.

"Lexus50" <Lexus50@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for input to-date.  However, SPECIFICALLY - in IE8, in one of the
> dropdown menus (I believe it is on the top right of the IE explorer window
> either within Safety or next to), there is a selectable feature that shows
> (something to the effect) restore prior browsing sesson or sites or sites
> visited.  This is a selectable feature from within the IE window.
>
> Since this is a touted feature of IE8, MS does not provide info that I can
> find on how to disable, delete, or clear this area.  That is what I am
> requesting info on.
>
> It may be that this feature derives its info (history?) from the regular
> history file and therefore is cleared when someone manually deletes
> browsing
> history, but since I do not yet have IE8 installed, I dont know.
>
> Can someone with IE8 installed locate this item, try clearing by vars
> means
> and report back on how that effects this feature?  Also as suggested if
> there
> is a way to turn this off or remove it - where is it?
>
> thanks again.

Here is some info found with a quick Google search.  The article explains
how to clear the data, but also explains where it is stored, and how it is
affected by clearing your browser history.  I think this is what you're
looking for.

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/clear-ie8-last-browsing-session-history-using-ccleaner/

0
KCB

Connector Question
Hi, If I create two connectors with different names but exactly the same configuration will that cause them to "load balance" or would there be a precedence for one always over the other? Also, if one were to go down (as connectors seem to do from time to time) would the other be used in its place? Thanks, Dan In my experience it will not load balance in any effective or controllable manner. Nue "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7E346840-81C1-4BDB-A600-0BFCE6977A37@microsoft.com... > Hi, > If I create two connectors with diff...

data validation custom criteria formula question
hello, in the custom criteria formula for data validation, i have input the following formula: =OR((F6)="X",IF(ISNUMBER(F6),(F6)>-1)) the formula works just fine, except i want to allow only whole numbers greater than -1. this formula allows numbers to be input with decimals and produces no error message. is there a way to resolve this? thanks for any help! karen --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi try =OR(F6="X",AND(ISNUMBER(F6),F6>-1,MOD(F6,1)=0)) this will allow either 'X' or a whole number >-1 -- Regards Frank Kabel Frank...

IE8 Redirect to Virus Scan
Running W7 32 bit with IE8, sometimes when I go to Yahoo and click to close IE8 it redirects to a virus scanner web page all by itself. How can I fix it? I did a full scan with MS Essentials and no virus was detected. What to do? I copied the scanner site URL last time and it is: http://188.124.5.147/index.php?affid=91102 NEVER post possibly dangerous, clickable links in a public newsgroup or forum! See... Can I install MSE to clean up my already-infected computer? http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msescan/thread/87058857-d181-4019-a723-efd9a49d9275 ...

PeekMessage Question
Hello, I have been using the following code in an MFC application and it has worked great. // Check for user cancel if ((nLoops++ % 0x1F) == 0) { // Check for escape key if (::PeekMessage(&msg, m_hWnd, WM_KEYFIRST, WM_KEYLAST, PM_REMOVE)) { if (msg.message == WM_KEYDOWN && msg.wParam == VK_ESCAPE) { m_bAbort = true; return false; } } nLoops = 0; } It is used to detect Escape within a tight loop. I now want to use the same code, but while a modal dialog box is displayed (the code is not part of my dialog box class but is called from t...

Simple Question on Addition
I searched the discussion groups for the answer to what seems to be a simple question, but found nothing. I have a group by query with three columns: itemNo Debits Credits The query is grouped on the first column, itemNo. I want to add the Debit column to the credit column and show the result in a third field, Total. For each record, the Debit column contains currency amounts. The Credit column contains either negative currency amounts or is null. Here is my nonfunctioning SQL. When I run the query, the Total column is blank for every record. SELECT eBayFees_lastMont...

W2K3 Site Links question
Hello, I am learning about AD sites and I am confused about how to link two sites together. As a practice I have created two sites, Columbus and KC, and when I created them I assigned them the DEFAULTIPSITELINK object. I have now created a second site link, called 'columbus-2-kc'. My question is: How do I link my two sites, Columbus and KC, to this new site link, columbus-2-kc? Do I just change the cost of the columbus-2-kc site link to a value lower than DEFAULTIPSITELINK? Or do I have to physically link the Columbus and KC sites to the new site link? Regar...

A question on VBA compatibility between versions of Excel.
Is there some kind of compatibility issue with VBA when going between different versions of Excel? I recently wrote an Excel application for my daughter which relies heavily on the use of Visual Basic macros. I tested it on both my desktop machine and my laptop with no problems. However when I emailed it to her, it would not run and went to a VBA debug screen. For a test I emailed it to my wife�s computer and tried to run it there. On her machine, it loaded and everything worked except one sort routine. I am running Excel 2002, my daughter has the latest version, and my wife�s machine...

Query Question 02-08-08
I have a query set so I pull distinct dates say from 1/1/08 thru 12/31/08 to take out duplicate accounts, I need to run this on a monthly level. I need to run this report in 2/08 and I do not want the accounts whom I have counted in 1/08 to show up in my 2/08 report and so on. I only want them to be counted 1 time in the year. What expression or operator words can I use. I have tried for example between 1/1/08 and 12/31/08 and between 2/1/08 and 2/29/08. This string will pull in my 2/08 accounts but it is also pulling in 1/08 accounts if I had contact with them in 2/08. I use a q...

scale/scanner question
does anyone know if the metrologic ms2020 scale/scanner will work with rms i know metrologic has good opos drivers i m not sure if rms has the ability to work with scale scanners? any help would be appriciated -- On Aug 6, 5:47 pm, "midwest pos" <morna...@msn.com> wrote: > does anyone know if the metrologic ms2020 scale/scanner will work with rms i > know metrologic has good opos drivers i m not sure if rms has the ability to > work with scale scanners? > any help would be appriciated > > -- Yes. I use them in my store and they do work. Jason www.gree...

Newbie question #4
Please help, I'm a total Excel newbie. I need to create a spreadsheet that works pretty much like a checkbook register. I need to be able to make daily entries of deposits and withdrawals (dollar amounts) and keep a running balance. I don't want the balance column to extend all the way down the worksheet either zero (if that's the current balance) or the most recent balance . Excel help on "Calculate the running balance" says to "copy this formula into the current balance cell for each new transaction." Is there a way to extend the formula without having ...

attachment question #3
should be easy but I can't find the answer. When I receive and open an email with an attachment - I can see the title of the attachment but I can't find the type (e.g., exe, txt). A right click just gives options like Open or copy. How can I tell what type of attachment it is before I open it? Open Windows Explorer - tools, folder options, view tab. Untick 'hide file extensions for known file types'. old guy wrote: > should be easy but I can't find the answer. > When I receive and open an email with an attachment - I can see the > title of the attachment but...

Pivot Table Question #11
Hello, I have 2 worksheets with similiar data from 2 different systems. For example worksheet 1 has: FileID Expense Type Total 1234 Repairs $100 5678 Rent $300 worksheet 2 has: File Expires Expense Type Amount 1234 10/22/08 Rent $435 5678 12/31/08 Rent $100 Can I use a Pivot table with Consolidated ranges to create a Pivot table which would compare the amounts by File and Expense Type in the 2 tables? For example one row might look like File Expense Type Worksheet 1 Worksheet 2...

New User Question 2 of 2
As I mentioned in my New User Question 1 post, we just converted our store to RMS. I am a database professional with significant experience with FoxPro. I would like to learn how to maintain and modify the RMS system without having to always have to call a solutions partner for every little thing. Is there training available? Manuals? Whatever is out there would be great to know about. Thanks in advance! -- Bud Izen Bud, I knew nothing about RMS and I can tell you that I still know nothing about database programming. I now konw RMS pretty darn well, and can do a lot with the softw...

best practice question
Hello, I am looking for some suggestions on how to handle a specific scenario. I know there are quite a number of different ways to do this, and I am looking for comments from the CRM team, other partners, and customers on their experiences with this scenario to determine what the best practice would be. Scenario: Tracking job applicants and opporunities. Companies have a number of job postings/opportunities, or even open opportunities for particular roles (ie: web developer). Companies receive job applications with resumes from applicants. Follow-up phone interviews and in-person interv...

Question on emailing to categorized emails.
Outlook 2002, on Windows XP Pro. Ok ... I've categorized a bunch of my email addresses. I can look at that list (in my contacts) by selecting the category. There's just over 50 names. The people in that list want to each have a copy of all the emails in the list. So I need to email each of them and include a reference to all those in that category. Can it be done. If so ... how? I thought it would be easy to figure out, but I'm miffed! Diana Are the others all using Outlook also, or are they using different e-mail programs? -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messag...

Question about PAYEE Microsoft Money 2006
I'm using Microsoft Money 2006 on Windows XP Home SP2. When I first started using this program I could update my Credit Union account directly from Money. For all the transactions involving my VISA Check card the PAYEE field was filled in with abbreviated information about the business I had visited. Example would be "Chevron/Joes" or "SAFEWAY/#1233" or "YUM YUM TERIAKY #4". In January my Credit Union implemented the secret question login which effectively disable the ability to get direct updates. Now I log into my Credit Union online banking service an...

question about bcc outgoing messages
Is there a way, using Exchange 2003 to have all messages sent by a group of individuals to be bcc'd to another user? We would like all messages sent from a certain group, to have those also go to a supervisor for review. Can i do this? The clients all use OWA for email so I can't do this with an Outook outgoing rule. Any suggestions? Thanx, If by group you meant a group of users - you can move the users to another Store and enable Message Journaling on the Store. This will archive messages to a journaling mailbox. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;261173&s...

Pivot Table
Hi Folks: I've set up a calculated field that expresses percent profit. A number of the calculations evaluate to #DIV/0!. Is there a way to remove/hide these ?? Thanks Steve Hi Steve, you can extend the calculated field's formula, with =IF(IsError(formula_of_the_division);0;formula_of_the_division) Hope, this helps.. Best regards, ANdras (Hungary) "s boak" wrote: > Hi Folks: > > I've set up a calculated field that expresses percent profit. > A number of the calculations evaluate to #DIV/0!. > Is there a way to remove/hide these ?? > > Tha...

Virtual server question
Hello, I just setup a brand new Windows 2003 Server domain along with an Exchange 2003 Server. Everything is working well. The Exchange server is using a new domain name for the e-mail. I would like to have the firm's old email still delivered for a couple of months. I had the DNS from our ISP forwarded no problem. Do I just need to create another virtual server with the old domain name and then create a new policy for the SMTP? Do I need a different IP address on the Exchange server? I have two NIC cards in the server, but as of now just using one. Thanks in advance for your re...

Range question in '97
Can you have sheet specific named ranges? ie sheet1!game, sheet2!game, sheet3!game so they can be referenced in a lookup, pulling values from the correct sheet. thanks Yes. Select sheet1, Insert>Name>Define... then in the 'Names in workbook' put Sheet1!game, then add the range in the Refersto box. Repeat for sheet2, etc. -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove nothere from email address if mailing direct) "Adam Kroger @hotmail.com>" <adam_kroger<nospam> wrote in message news:M8mdnTzyc4FZnAbeRVn-uQ@comcast.com... > Can you have sheet specific named r...

question about how Windows Server 2003 handles disk IO
It seems like several years ago I read an article about how Windows handles the threading of disk IO. It suggested that disk access via drive letters was faster than mount a volume as a folder under a drive letter. We have a server is the recipient of disk-to-disk backups, and we have three storage volumes mounted as separate drive letters, and then we have three more that are mounted as folders under a single drive letter. I'm looking for documentation that would describe how Windows handles IO, especially the performance of drive letters versus mount points under a drive ...

Control Box Data Question
I am using a control box list to drop down the various part numbers that we use. I then use that number as part of a VLOOKUP function to return corresponding data. This problem is that VLOOKUP sees the number in the linked cell with " " around it. Why? and how do I get rid of it? The quotes do not effect looking up in text fields and I can get rid of them by adding a second step where the linked cell is multiplied by 1 and that cell is then the reference cell for VLOOKUP. I can also get around this by adding " " to my lookup numbers so they match , but either case l...

Question about WM_LBUTTONUP
I have a custom button in which I override OnLButtonUp and OnLButtonDn. When OnLButtonDn occurs I start a timer which causes some action to be taken while the button is down. When OnLButtonUp occurs the timer is stopped and the action stops. My problem is there is a case where the OnLButtonDown causes a file dialog to open. When this occurs, I lose the OnLButtonUp message which prevents the timer from being stopped. The message doesn't appear to get to the parent either. I've verified this using spy. Is there some other place I can get this message in this condition? Thanks "ma...

question #3
how to format x - axis scale? If you have a scatter chart (XY!), just double click on the axis, and edit the parameters on the Scale tab. You cannot format a category X axis the same way; this means the X axis on a column, line, or area chart. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/index.html _______ zeljko wrote: > how to format x - axis scale? ...

Ask a surprising question
Hello all: Look: CDgl *p; //CDgl is a class of Dialog UINT Thread1( LPVOID pParam ) { int *pi=(int*)pParam; CString str; str.Format("%d",*pi); CWnd* pE=p->GetDlgItem(IDC_EDIT1); pE->SetWindowText(str); return 0; } UINT Thread2( LPVOID pParam ) { int *pi=(int*)pParam; CString str; str.Format("%d",*pi); CWnd* pE=p->GetDlgItem(IDC_EDIT2); pE->SetWindowText(str); return 0; } void CDgl::OnButton1() { // TODO: Add your control notification handler code here HWND hWnd=GetSafeHwnd(); p=(CDlg*)CWnd::FromHandle(hWnd); int a1=123,a2=456; LPVOID tt1,tt...