IE8 Instant search box - regaining control :-)

Hi All

I finally succumbed to the temptation to download IE8.  I have spent the
last 3/4 of an hour trying to regain control of my browser :-)

I have switched off all accelerators and all that other stuff - even figured
out how to stop the browser popping up the accelerator icon EVEN though I'd
switched them off . . .

I am happy to use the instant search box. (It's in a convenient place...).
I DO NOT WANT any kind of suggestion from IE8 about what I'm looking for.  I
KNOW what I'm looking for - and the computer hasn't got a clue . . .

So managed to switch of suggestions but now the thing is throwing ideas from
HISTORY at me - (despite the fact I've instructed IE to keep 0days history
.....).

Somebody please tell me it is possible for me to choose what I send to my
search provider myself - all this unrequested (and unwanted) help is driving
me to distraction.

Thanks in anticipation,

Stuart

> So managed to switch of suggestions but now the thing is throwing ideas
> from
> HISTORY at me - (despite the fact I've instructed IE to keep 0days history
> ....).

At 12:01 tomorrow, you'll have 0 days' history.

Tips:

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/enable-inprivate-filtering-default-ie8-sessions/

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/how-to-start-internet-explorer-8-in-inprivate-mode-by-default/

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/open-in-inprivate-window-right-click-menu-ie8/
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

yavasco wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I finally succumbed to the temptation to download IE8.  I have spent the
> last 3/4 of an hour trying to regain control of my browser :-)
>
> I have switched off all accelerators and all that other stuff - even
> figured
> out how to stop the browser popping up the accelerator icon EVEN though
> I'd
> switched them off . . .
>
> I am happy to use the instant search box. (It's in a convenient place...).
> I DO NOT WANT any kind of suggestion from IE8 about what I'm looking for.
> KNOW what I'm looking for - and the computer hasn't got a clue . . .
>
> So managed to switch of suggestions but now the thing is throwing ideas
> from
> HISTORY at me - (despite the fact I've instructed IE to keep 0days history
> ....).
>
> Somebody please tell me it is possible for me to choose what I send to my
> search provider myself - all this unrequested (and unwanted) help is
> driving
> me to distraction.
>
> Thanks in anticipation,
>
> Stuart

0
PA
11/14/2009 10:27:31 PM
Hi and thanks PA Bear

unfortunately this doesn't solve my problem because:-

(i)  the darn bar searches through everything you've done today - so once
you have made use of the browser it will pester you with unwanted
suggestions.  If it doesn't find anything in history it makes other unwanted
"helpful" suggestions.

(ii)  Browsing in InPrivate mode doesn't make any difference to the
behaviour of the darn search box thing.

It is REALLY frustrating - I like the fact that it is there - it's
convenient and you don't have to open a new tab to search etc etc etc - but
the "helpful suggestion" are invariably not helpful - and extremely
distracting because of the way the screen redraws every time you hit a key.

I HATE this . . .

I really reall really want someone to provide a NO FRILLS basic browser -
which WE the consumers can then customise to our hearts content - instead of
having to spend time trying to switch OFF something that some (well-meaning
I'm sure) person at Microsoft thought was a "Good Idea"

This one WASN'T    ....................    :-)

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> > So managed to switch of suggestions but now the thing is throwing ideas
> > from
> > HISTORY at me - (despite the fact I've instructed IE to keep 0days history
> > ....).
>
> At 12:01 tomorrow, you'll have 0 days' history.
>
> Tips:
>
> http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/enable-inprivate-filtering-default-ie8-sessions/
>
> http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/how-to-start-internet-explorer-8-in-inprivate-mode-by-default/
>
> http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/open-in-inprivate-window-right-click-menu-ie8/
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> yavasco wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > I finally succumbed to the temptation to download IE8.  I have spent the
> > last 3/4 of an hour trying to regain control of my browser :-)
> >
> > I have switched off all accelerators and all that other stuff - even
> > figured
> > out how to stop the browser popping up the accelerator icon EVEN though
> > I'd
> > switched them off . . .
> >
> > I am happy to use the instant search box. (It's in a convenient place...).
> > I DO NOT WANT any kind of suggestion from IE8 about what I'm looking for.
> > KNOW what I'm looking for - and the computer hasn't got a clue . . .
> >
> > So managed to switch of suggestions but now the thing is throwing ideas
> > from
> > HISTORY at me - (despite the fact I've instructed IE to keep 0days history
> > ....).
> >
> > Somebody please tell me it is possible for me to choose what I send to my
> > search provider myself - all this unrequested (and unwanted) help is
> > driving
> > me to distraction.
> >
> > Thanks in anticipation,
> >
> > Stuart
>
> .

There's always...

How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

0
PA