IE8 Instant search box - regaining control :-)

Hi All

I finally succumbed to the temptation to download IE8.  I have spent the
last 3/4 of an hour trying to regain control of my browser :-)

I have switched off all accelerators and all that other stuff - even figured
out how to stop the browser popping up the accelerator icon EVEN though I'd
switched them off . . .

I am happy to use the instant search box. (It's in a convenient place...).
I DO NOT WANT any kind of suggestion from IE8 about what I'm looking for.  I
KNOW what I'm looking for - and the computer hasn't got a clue . . .

So managed to switch of suggestions but now the thing is throwing ideas from
HISTORY at me - (despite the fact I've instructed IE to keep 0days history
.....).

Somebody please tell me it is possible for me to choose what I send to my
search provider myself - all this unrequested (and unwanted) help is driving
me to distraction.

Thanks in anticipation,

Stuart

> So managed to switch of suggestions but now the thing is throwing ideas
> from
> HISTORY at me - (despite the fact I've instructed IE to keep 0days history
> ....).

At 12:01 tomorrow, you'll have 0 days' history.

Tips:

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/enable-inprivate-filtering-default-ie8-sessions/

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/how-to-start-internet-explorer-8-in-inprivate-mode-by-default/

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/open-in-inprivate-window-right-click-menu-ie8/
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

yavasco wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I finally succumbed to the temptation to download IE8.  I have spent the
> last 3/4 of an hour trying to regain control of my browser :-)
>
> I have switched off all accelerators and all that other stuff - even
> figured
> out how to stop the browser popping up the accelerator icon EVEN though
> I'd
> switched them off . . .
>
> I am happy to use the instant search box. (It's in a convenient place...).
> I DO NOT WANT any kind of suggestion from IE8 about what I'm looking for.
> KNOW what I'm looking for - and the computer hasn't got a clue . . .
>
> So managed to switch of suggestions but now the thing is throwing ideas
> from
> HISTORY at me - (despite the fact I've instructed IE to keep 0days history
> ....).
>
> Somebody please tell me it is possible for me to choose what I send to my
> search provider myself - all this unrequested (and unwanted) help is
> driving
> me to distraction.
>
> Thanks in anticipation,
>
> Stuart

0
PA
11/14/2009 10:27:31 PM
Hi and thanks PA Bear

unfortunately this doesn't solve my problem because:-

(i)  the darn bar searches through everything you've done today - so once
you have made use of the browser it will pester you with unwanted
suggestions.  If it doesn't find anything in history it makes other unwanted
"helpful" suggestions.

(ii)  Browsing in InPrivate mode doesn't make any difference to the
behaviour of the darn search box thing.

It is REALLY frustrating - I like the fact that it is there - it's
convenient and you don't have to open a new tab to search etc etc etc - but
the "helpful suggestion" are invariably not helpful - and extremely
distracting because of the way the screen redraws every time you hit a key.

I HATE this . . .

I really reall really want someone to provide a NO FRILLS basic browser -
which WE the consumers can then customise to our hearts content - instead of
having to spend time trying to switch OFF something that some (well-meaning
I'm sure) person at Microsoft thought was a "Good Idea"

This one WASN'T    ....................    :-)

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> > So managed to switch of suggestions but now the thing is throwing ideas
> > from
> > HISTORY at me - (despite the fact I've instructed IE to keep 0days history
> > ....).
>
> At 12:01 tomorrow, you'll have 0 days' history.
>
> Tips:
>
> http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/enable-inprivate-filtering-default-ie8-sessions/
>
> http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/how-to-start-internet-explorer-8-in-inprivate-mode-by-default/
>
> http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/open-in-inprivate-window-right-click-menu-ie8/
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> yavasco wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > I finally succumbed to the temptation to download IE8.  I have spent the
> > last 3/4 of an hour trying to regain control of my browser :-)
> >
> > I have switched off all accelerators and all that other stuff - even
> > figured
> > out how to stop the browser popping up the accelerator icon EVEN though
> > I'd
> > switched them off . . .
> >
> > I am happy to use the instant search box. (It's in a convenient place...).
> > I DO NOT WANT any kind of suggestion from IE8 about what I'm looking for.
> > KNOW what I'm looking for - and the computer hasn't got a clue . . .
> >
> > So managed to switch of suggestions but now the thing is throwing ideas
> > from
> > HISTORY at me - (despite the fact I've instructed IE to keep 0days history
> > ....).
> >
> > Somebody please tell me it is possible for me to choose what I send to my
> > search provider myself - all this unrequested (and unwanted) help is
> > driving
> > me to distraction.
> >
> > Thanks in anticipation,
> >
> > Stuart
>
> .

There's always...

How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

yavasco wrote:
> [...]
>>> out how to stop the browser popping up the accelerator icon EVEN though
>>> I'd
>>> switched them off . . .
>>>
>>> I am happy to use the instant search box. (It's in a convenient
>>> place...).
>>> I DO NOT WANT any kind of suggestion from IE8 about what I'm looking
>>> for.
>>> KNOW what I'm looking for - and the computer hasn't got a clue . . .
>>>
>>> So managed to switch of suggestions but now the thing is throwing ideas
>>> from
>>> HISTORY at me - (despite the fact I've instructed IE to keep 0days
>>> history
>>> ....).
>>>
>>> Somebody please tell me it is possible for me to choose what I send to
>>> my
>>> search provider myself - all this unrequested (and unwanted) help is

0
PA

Search and display a value from a XMLDOCUMENT
Hi I have the following XMLDOCUMENT loaded in memory: <Datos_de_INGC011_CAT_INDICADORECONOMIC> <INGC011_CAT_INDICADORECONOMIC> <COD_INDICADORINTERNO>317</COD_INDICADORINTERNO> <DES_FECHA>2010-06-28T00:00:00-06:00</DES_FECHA> <NUM_VALOR>517.51000000</NUM_VALOR> </INGC011_CAT_INDICADORECONOMIC> </Datos_de_INGC011_CAT_INDICADORECONOMIC> And I need to retreive the value in <NUM_VALOR>, I had tried of many ways, but I can´t do it, Please somebody h...

List Box Size....
I've created a list box in a cell Data - Data Validation - Allow List The resulting list box containing many values is teeny tiny weeny small. Is there any way the listed information can be shown larger when the user selects this cell? Thanks Inadvance You can't change the font size for a Data Validation dropdown list. However, you can use programming to adjust the zoom setting when the cell is selected. There's some sample code here: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal08.html#Larger Wayne wrote: > I've created a list box in a cell > > Data - Data...

Search between two dates
Hi everyone I've got information in a SQL Server Database. I'm viewing the data using MS Excel, e.g Data, Get External Data, Create New Query (on the toolbar). Now using the wizard I have got to Microsoft Query. What I want the system to do is..... When I open the spreadsheet a pop up box appears where the user types in the FROM date, then a second pop up box appears where the user types in the TO date. The values that are shown on the spreadsheet are the values between the two dates (including the FROM and TO dates). Is this quite easy? Thanks for any help David -- David4...

Error searching an additional mailbox
Greetings, I have several users, who, in addition to their own mailbox, mount a second mailbox for storage of certain emails. Recently, several of these users have tried to do searchs on one of the folders in that mailbox and receive a dialog box stating There are too many Find Public Folders dialogs open. You must close them in order to use the Advanced Find. Do you want to close them now? These are all Outlook 2002 users running against an Exchane 5.5 server. Anyone seen this problem before? K ...

In Box Not Responding
I am getting the message "In Box Not Responding". What does it mean and how do I fix it TA ...

Excel 2002 Comments Box
How do I change the size of the comments box? Thanks If you're asking about the Insert - Comment comment box, you can drag each side to wherever you want. HTH Otto "DLC" <dlcopesr@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1189sshps7cmu8f@corp.supernews.com... > How do I change the size of the comments box? > > Thanks > ...

PROBLEM SIZING A TEXT BOX IN A FORM
Access 2007/vista I have a form in which I cannot adjust the text boxes INDIVIDUALLY. I click on a text box and it becomes surrounded by an orange border, indicating it is selected. But when I size it smaller or larger, all the other text boxes in the form move in tandem. I have not encountered this before and am baffled. Ideas? -- William ...

record and print amounts in multiple boxes on 1099 forms
We have had several clients that have been very disappointed to learn that they can only do 1 amount box per 1099. For instance, they might need an amount for rents and one for non-employee compensation. I think it would need to be settable at time of transaction entry. One of our clients said they could do that in Quickbooks and was very surprised to learn that GP won't do it. -- BrianB ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in th...

Multiple report filter using combo box on form
I need to be able to filter a report by multiple fields. First by the Cost Center number and then once that is done - then a further filter by Expense Account Number. I currently have a form that successfully filters the report by either Cost Center, Expense Acct Number or SubAccount using a Option Grp/Combo Box set up. The user selects one of the 3 fields mentioned which populates the combo box and then they hit a command button (Filter Report). This is the code I used. Dim iFilterBy As Integer Dim iReportType As Integer Dim iFilterValue As Integer If IsNull(cmbFilterBy) Then M...

I get 2 message boxes
Hi I have the following code which runs when I open a second form... it works great but unfortunately I get a second system message box as well as my own custom box what have I missed out? can anyone help many thanks in advance : Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer) If Me.Recordset.RecordCount = 0 Then Cancel = True MsgBox "There are no records to display." End If End Sub What system message are you getting? What version of Access are you using? "Dic_nutana" <Dicnutana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5C862326-FCDF-45C8-BEFB-7333227C61B...

fullscreen flash activex control
hello- i'm trying to author a MFC application that has, as its main window, a full screen shockwave/flash activex control with no title bar, borders, etc. what i've done so far is to create a new MFC application that has a single document (using the document/view architecture) in the "new project" wizard, and add the activex control to the main dialog. displaying the window as fullscreen is not the hard part -- i did that by defining BOOL CMainFrame::PreCreateWindow(CREATESTRUCT& cs) { if( cs.hMenu != NULL ) { ::DestroyMenu( cs.hMenu ); cs.hMenu = NULL; ...

Problem in showing dialog boxes from a regular dll
Hi, I had a MFC application to be used as icon window (hidden). Also I had a regular MFC DLL exporting functions that will show MFC dll. All these functions are calling the AFX_MANAGE_STATE macro and PreTRansalte message is implemented. If the functions are called from any exe they work as expected even calling from my tray icon app is alright. Now I have merged some the resources (dialogs and string) of tray icon into my dll. Still tray icon works fine. There is another console application that calls my resouce dll to display dialog boxes as well and it also works fine. Now if my ...

selecting a query from a combo box
HELP! Need to design a DB for my boss and I am lost! I have a database which lists students who have went on exchange over the last 17 years to over 20 countries and numerous institutions.. I have set up 3 queries/reports using parameters so the user can enter: 1) the year 2) the country or 3) the insitution. Now the problem is the insitution query as the name of the institution can get spelt various ways so I would prefer the user to select the institution from the drop down box which they use to enter the data into the table under the field "institution". My f...

check box
hi all i am a beginner. i've created four check boxes, how to validate that atleast one check box is selected using DDV function. thanks & regards mani ...

creating text box dynamically in ms access
can any body please tell me the code to create text boxes dynamically or else please give me the link abt that information Thanq See help on CreateControl In general, this is only useful if you are creating some kind of wizard form that creates whole forms for end users. You don't want to be creating text boxes on the fly for a normal form. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "ravindar thati" <ravindarjobs@gmail.com> wrote in mes...

HTA problem with IE8
We discovered an issue with some inbedded VBScript code inside an HTA written by a developer that is no longer with us. The code work in IE6 but error out on the set objMsgArea statement indicating that the object requires 'objMenuFrame' which should have been set in the previous line of code. If I put in an 'On Error Resume Next" statement in that sub the HTA appears to work correctly however I don't like putting a band-aid on something like this. Does anyone have any solution for this? Here's the code: sub AppStatusDisplay(strMsgIn, bolAddToStatusLogIn) s...

Drop Down box
How can I make a drop down box in a cell so to choose either of 3 selections? Does this require a macro or can it be done without? -- Thank you! Data Validation with List Option and in the source, either reference a range or type: Item1,Item2,Item3 http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/data-validation.htm -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:39A645AC-3754-444E-B376-E869C4D4A3E3@microsoft.com... > How can I make a drop down box in a cell so to choose either of 3 > selections? > Does this ...

how to detect item selected from List Control?
Hi I'm trying to detect the index of the item selected from a list control when a user hits the up or down arrows from the keyboard. So I made a call to list.GetSelectionMark() in the List control's event LVN_KEYDOWN, however this always results in the call to GetSelectionMark returning the index of the item selected before the arrow key was hit any ideas of how to get the item selected after the arrow key has been hit, or a better event to detect a change in item selected? Thanks ahead of time. How about LVN_ITEMCHANGED notification message? Ali R. "Mark" <anonymou...

adding date/time picker to inputbox control
Hi all,is there a way to add a date/time picker control to inputbox?...

search and insert

non-duplicate combo box
I have about 1000 rows of data. There are anywhere from 3 to 5 categories among the data (it changes weekly) I want to set up a combo box that displays only the appropriate categories based on the available data that the user can select to apply a filter. How can I do that? Glen With a pivot-table ? Bas Hartkamp <glen.e.mettler@lmco.com> schreef in bericht news:1133191693.081689.241520@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I have about 1000 rows of data. > There are anywhere from 3 to 5 categories among the data (it changes > weekly) > I want to set up a combo box that di...

I'm looking for a way to search for any sent messages that are over 90 days of age. I'm able to manually create the criteria: Search in: 'Sent Items', where item is 'Sent on or before' and a manually entered date but can't seem to find a automatic way for the 'Value'. Online help gives no reference on how to create a condition of 'Over xx Days'. ...

add beginning of previous month to smartlist search
In most or all report options screens that ask for a date, there is an option for "beginning/end of previous month/period". Please add that to the list of available date options in SmartList's search filters. There is currently a "beginning/end of month/period", but no way to automatically refer to the previous month. Thanks. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, f...

domain controller
If I have a more powerful comuter than needed, can I run Exchange 2003 on a Windows 2003 domain controller, which happens to be the first domain controller in the domain? Yes, you can though it's not recommended. "rook" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7e6901c4849a$4ff93a60$a401280a@phx.gbl... > If I have a more powerful comuter than needed, can I run > Exchange 2003 on a Windows 2003 domain controller, which > happens to be the first domain controller in the domain? Yes it is extreamely not recommended because your so called &qu...

Update table with Multi-select list box
I have a database with a tab control that has several pages in it (my boss loves tabs for navigation). Each page has a list box based on a category of training events that members of my office attend and the box is based on a query that selects the training events for the tab page's respective category. I select an item from the list, click a button, and go to a form with a text box showing the name of the training event I previously selected. On that form, I want to select mutiple names of office members from a list box (already created and source is the Office Roster table) and then c...