IE8 can't access Microsoft Office site when all other browsers can

When trying to access the Microsoft Office page using IE8 I keep getting the
"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message. If I use any other
browser (Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome) I have no problem accessing the
page. This happens whether running in normal or No Add-on's mode. Despite how
many people keep complaining about all the problems with IE8, neither the
MVP's or Microsoft acknowledge that they exist.

Asus P5E
Intel E8400 Core2Duo 3.0GHz
4 GB PC2-6400 DDR2
Windows 7 Ultimate (with all the latest updates installed)
NIS 2010 (all up to date)
--
When all else fails dynamite appears to be the item of choice.

I have no trouble accessing the Microsoft Office website with my copy of
IE 8. And I'm not an MVP or a Microsoft employee, either.

Not sure if you're actually looking for help or just ranting. If you're
actually looking for help, you'll need to provide more information.

Are you using the 32- or 64-bit version of Internet Explorer 8?
Does "the Microsoft Office page" have a URL?
Is that the only URL where you have a problem?

Have you tried this:

"How to reset Internet Explorer settings"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

If you break off the fender on your Subaru, buying a Hyundai won't fix it.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Kolohe Wiz wrote:
> When trying to access the Microsoft Office page using IE8 I keep getting the
> "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message. If I use any other
> browser (Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome) I have no problem accessing the
> page. This happens whether running in normal or No Add-on's mode. Despite how
> many people keep complaining about all the problems with IE8, neither the
> MVP's or Microsoft acknowledge that they exist.
>
> Asus P5E
> Intel E8400 Core2Duo 3.0GHz
> 4 GB PC2-6400 DDR2
> Windows 7 Ultimate (with all the latest updates installed)
> NIS 2010 (all up to date)
0
Leonard
3/4/2010 6:35:06 PM
If MSoft has composed it's page(s) with Flash Content, then the 64-bit
version of IE will not display that content. You have to use the 32-bit
version of IE instead of the 64-bit version.

"Kolohe Wiz" <KoloheWiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When trying to access the Microsoft Office page using IE8 I keep getting
> the
> "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message. If I use any other
> browser (Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome) I have no problem accessing the
> page. This happens whether running in normal or No Add-on's mode. Despite
> how
> many people keep complaining about all the problems with IE8, neither the
> MVP's or Microsoft acknowledge that they exist.
>
> Asus P5E
> Intel E8400 Core2Duo 3.0GHz
> 4 GB PC2-6400 DDR2
> Windows 7 Ultimate (with all the latest updates installed)
> NIS 2010 (all up to date)
> --
> When all else fails dynamite appears to be the item of choice.

0
Jeff
3/4/2010 8:34:26 PM
"Kolohe Wiz" <KoloheWiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When trying to access the Microsoft Office page using IE8 I keep getting
> the
> "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message. If I use any other
> browser (Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome) I have no problem accessing the
> page. This happens whether running in normal or No Add-on's mode. Despite
> how
> many people keep complaining about all the problems with IE8, neither the
> MVP's or Microsoft acknowledge that they exist.

I've seen that.   It seems to be related to slow DNS.   When it happens I
switch to an elevated cmd window and do an  ipconfig  /flushdns   then
enough  ping -n 1  to prime the dnscache to get IE going.   It's possible
that the other browsers have different timeouts for this case or already
have the DNS lookups for the problem sites cached themselves but I know of
no tuning parameter either for IE or in the OS which can help other than a
manual workaround like this.   BTW yesterday it was so bad that even the
ping's reverse lookups timed out, so that made it very clear what the
problem was.   Eventually things started working again.

---

0
Robert

Microsoft Shortcut Bar
I can't find the shortcut bar in Office 2003? What gives? M S B Office 2003 was "improved" by removing the office shortcut bar. The osb from an earlier version will work in 2003 ( I'm told). You can also use the quick launch toolbar in windows as a substitute or look for a third party utility. Regards, Jim Cone San Francisco, CA P.S. - OfficeXP was improved by removing office binder. "Microsoft Shortcut Bar" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C8589232-F585-4C9D-8F63-FA8B0AB63315@microsoft.com... > I can't find the shortcut ...

open two different Access reports

Access 2007 and Vista code problem

microsoft money 2004 09-17-03
I just installed the Money 2004 on this computer and whenever I try to start the program, the error message: Reporting Details: This error report includes: information regarding the condition of Microsoft Money when the problem occurred; the operating system version and computer hardware in use; your Digital Product ID, which could be used to identify your license; and the IP address of your computer. What do I do? ...

What happened to my out of office reminder?
In Outlook 2003, I used to get a reminder when I started Outlook and I had been out of the office (out of office turned ON). Now all I get is a barely noticeable task bar note. This is becoming a major pain. I've gone days back int he office before someone has to remind me to turn off my out of office. So, what happened to the pop-up reminder that your Out of Office is on and how do I get it back? It's gone from outlook 2007 because you can set Outlook to turn it off at a specific time. What version of Exchange server do you use? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] ...

Office XP media content?
I have Office 2003 Small Business edition and running Windows XP Home. Will my old Office XP Media Content disc install and work with Publisher 2003 (and the rest of Office 2003 Small Business Edition)? I installed the media content on my old Office XP setup and don't want to have to continually access the disc when I'm making up publications with the 2003 version. You can install the XP media disk, it will work fine with the 2003 Organizer. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/getting_started.htm news://msnews.microsoft.com &q...

can i download lxce serv.exe

Microsoft Exchange Server

how many receivers i can add

Add PowerPoint 2007 to Office Basic