IE8 address box steals focus from search box

Hi

Running latest IE8

I keep finding that when I start IE8, type an expression in the search box in the top right corner, the address box steals focus
So if I type "SQL Server 2008 Client installation", the letters "SQL S" are in the search box and the rest of the letters "erver
2008 Client installation" are now in the address box.

This is deeply annoying.
Anyone seen this and know how it can be fixed?

It only seems to do this at IE8 startup or new tab startup.
After that, all words are in the search box and the address box dioes not steal focus.

Thanks

Stephen Howe
0
Stephen

Hi,
"It only seems to do this at IE8 startup or new tab startup."

What toolbars do you have installed?

Does this happen if you run IE in noAddons mode?

Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Internet Explorer (No Addons)

Another thing to try is

Tools>Manage Addons - Search Providers, select your default Search Provider
and disable search suggestions if it is enabled. Please post back with
details of your Search Provider or your Installed toolbars.

The keyboard shortcuts you can use to navigate the Address bar and search
box are

Alt+A - focus on the Address bar
Alt+E - focus on the Search Box

Regards.

"Stephen Howe" <sjhoweATdialDOTpipexDOTcom> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Running latest IE8
>
> I keep finding that when I start IE8, type an expression in the search box
> in the top right corner, the address box steals focus
> So if I type "SQL Server 2008 Client installation", the letters "SQL S"
> are in the search box and the rest of the letters "erver
> 2008 Client installation" are now in the address box.
>
> This is deeply annoying.
> Anyone seen this and know how it can be fixed?
>
> It only seems to do this at IE8 startup or new tab startup.
> After that, all words are in the search box and the address box dioes not
> steal focus.
>
> Thanks
>
> Stephen Howe

0
rob
6/23/2010 1:11:10 PM
"Stephen Howe" <sjhoweATdialDOTpipexDOTcom> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Running latest IE8
>
> I keep finding that when I start IE8, type an expression in the search box
> in the top right corner, the address box steals focus
> So if I type "SQL Server 2008 Client installation", the letters "SQL S"
> are in the search box and the rest of the letters "erver
> 2008 Client installation" are now in the address box.
>
> This is deeply annoying.
> Anyone seen this and know how it can be fixed?
>
> It only seems to do this at IE8 startup or new tab startup.
> After that, all words are in the search box and the address box dioes not
> steal focus.
>
> Thanks
>
> Stephen Howe

You have to wait for the page to fully load before you start your search
string.

I find this to be very annoying too.

0
Jeff
> Hi,
> "It only seems to do this at IE8 startup or new tab startup."
>
> What toolbars do you have installed?
>
> Does this happen if you run IE in noAddons mode?
>
> Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Internet Explorer (No Addons)
>
> Another thing to try is
>
> Tools>Manage Addons - Search Providers, select your default Search
> Provider and disable search suggestions if it is enabled. Please post back
> with details of your Search Provider or your Installed toolbars.
>
> The keyboard shortcuts you can use to navigate the Address bar and search
> box are
>
> Alt+A - focus on the Address bar
> Alt+E - focus on the Search Box
>
> Regards.

If the cursor is placed in the search box BEFORE the page is finished
entered. It doesn't matter how one puts the focus onto the search box, if
the page is not done loading, the focus will change to the address bar.

Start IE
Immediately put the cursor in the Search Box
Begin inputting the search string.
As you input your search, the focus will be taken off of the Search Box, and
your search string will be entered into the Address Bar. This is a normal
behavior, and the only remedy is to wait for IE to finish loading the Home
Page before entering a search string.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume two things, the OP is using
Yahoo! for his homepage, and he's searching from the Yahoo Search box. He's
not using the search box on the toolbar.

0
Jeff
6/23/2010 2:58:33 PM
Thanks Jeff for the response, you have describe the behaviour exactly

>I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume two things, the OP is using
>Yahoo! for his homepage, and he's searching from the Yahoo Search box. He's
>not using the search box on the toolbar.

Nope on both counts. I dont like Yahoo because they do blocking of Pipex, my ISP
Even worse, I cant email my Father because he signed up with BT Internet which does some type of tie in with Yahoo
Yahoo customer support says I must get my ISP to email them to counter the block and at that point I lose interest - too much
hassle.

It is easier to squeeze blood out a stone than get my ISP to talk to Yahoo.

:(

Home Page is about:blank and search provider is Google.
Using about:blank as a command line argument.

Stephen Howe
0
Stephen
6/23/2010 5:12:52 PM

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> You have to wait for the page to fully load before you start your search
> string.
>
> I find this to be very annoying too.

If you have to start typing before waiting for  About:Blank  to finish
opening you probably have too many add-ons to load.

BTW  you could always change your startup to be   iexplore.exe  -nohome

---

0
Robert
6/23/2010 8:43:02 PM
> Thanks Jeff for the response, you have describe the behaviour exactly
>
>>I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume two things, the OP is using
>>Yahoo! for his homepage, and he's searching from the Yahoo Search box.
>>He's
>>not using the search box on the toolbar.
>
> Nope on both counts. I dont like Yahoo because they do blocking of Pipex,
> my ISP
> Even worse, I cant email my Father because he signed up with BT Internet
> which does some type of tie in with Yahoo
> Yahoo customer support says I must get my ISP to email them to counter the
> block and at that point I lose interest - too much
> hassle.
>
> It is easier to squeeze blood out a stone than get my ISP to talk to
> Yahoo.
>
> :(
>
> Home Page is about:blank and search provider is Google.
> Using about:blank as a command line argument.
>
> Stephen Howe

Well, whatever. You have to wait for IE to load before you can input your
search string, else the focus will change in midstream from the search box
to the address box. This is normal, all be it annoying, behavior.

I've never heard of a Website blocking an ISP. I had an ISP once that
blocked mail delivery from different hosts, such as Hotmail, because the
hosts did nothing to prevent spam artists from plying their trade.I don't
understand why you can't open IE to Yahoo! as one of your homepages (with
Tabbed Browsing, you can have several homepages if you want), and use Yahoo
Mail to create email to send to your Dad. You could have a Yahoo Mail
account, and access that account from ANYWHERE and collect and send e-mail.
You could go to your brother's house and use his computer to get to your
Yahoo Mail account. You could go to the library to get to your account.
Yahoo does not care how you get there, and they don't have any interest in
your ISP, or anybody's ISP for that matter.

You may not be able to use an external e-mail client to check your Yahoo
Mail account through your ISP, that's entirely possible. Having said that, I
use Outlook Express to poll my Yahoo Mail account, and send messages from my
Yahoo Mail account.

I don't understand what issues you have with your ISP and Yahoo. It really
doesn't matter though. You can go into TOOLS>INTERNET OPTIONS and set the
Homepage to Blank. You don't need Command Line arguments to do this.

0
Jeff
6/24/2010 2:53:48 PM
>Well, whatever. You have to wait for IE to load before you can input your
>search string, else the focus will change in midstream from the search box
>to the address box. This is normal, all be it annoying, behavior.
>
>I've never heard of a Website blocking an ISP.

I am not talking about the website. I am talking about Yahoo blocking email.
For some reason, my email address is regarded as a spam address
For email that is common. That is anti-spam measures.
BT Internet use Yahoo antispam services and so I am cut off.
And since I am not on broadband and am very up on malware with a battery of anti-malware measures, I cannot be a zombiebot PC.

Search for Verizon class action suite and you will find Verizon paying to their customers for the bonehead move of blocking
_ALL_ email from Europe, classing it as spam. This pissed off US citizens.

So I hate Yahoo with vengence. They are evil.

And in the case of my Father, some of his clients are the United Nations WorldBank.
Some of their members have just discovered that Yahoo bounces their email as well, so they are pissed off with Yahoo.

> I had an ISP once that
>blocked mail delivery from different hosts, such as Hotmail, because the
>hosts did nothing to prevent spam artists from plying their trade.I don't
>understand why you can't open IE to Yahoo! as one of your homepages (with
>Tabbed Browsing, you can have several homepages if you want), and use Yahoo
>Mail to create email to send to your Dad.

Yeah I can. I can set up a Google Email account. It is the hassle factor.

> You could have a Yahoo Mail
>account, and access that account from ANYWHERE and collect and send e-mail.
>You could go to your brother's house and use his computer to get to your
>Yahoo Mail account. You could go to the library to get to your account.
>Yahoo does not care how you get there, and they don't have any interest in
>your ISP, or anybody's ISP for that matter.

Yup, but it wont be Yahoo. Anyone but Yahoo.

>You may not be able to use an external e-mail client to check your Yahoo
>Mail account through your ISP, that's entirely possible. Having said that, I
>use Outlook Express to poll my Yahoo Mail account, and send messages from my
>Yahoo Mail account.
>
>I don't understand what issues you have with your ISP and Yahoo. It really
>doesn't matter though. You can go into TOOLS>INTERNET OPTIONS and set the
>Homepage to Blank. You don't need Command Line arguments to do this.

True. But this is at work where Group Policy enforces an internal web page which I hate.
however a ShortCut with command line parameter beats the Group Policy. Freedom!!!!

Thanks

Stephen
6/24/2010 3:49:21 PM
: I am not talking about the website. I am talking about Yahoo blocking
email.
: For some reason, my email address is regarded as a spam address
: For email that is common. That is anti-spam measures.
: BT Internet use Yahoo antispam services and so I am cut off.
: And since I am not on broadband and am very up on malware with a battery
of anti-malware measures, I cannot be a zombiebot PC.
:
Your email being blocked is not an IE issue.

0
Yuri
6/24/2010 4:33:15 PM
"Yuri Nalysis" <yuri@nalysis.invalid> wrote in message

> : I am not talking about the website. I am talking about Yahoo blocking
> email.
> : For some reason, my email address is regarded as a spam address
> : For email that is common. That is anti-spam measures.
> : BT Internet use Yahoo antispam services and so I am cut off.
> : And since I am not on broadband and am very up on malware with a battery
> of anti-malware measures, I cannot be a zombiebot PC.
> :
> Your email being blocked is not an IE issue.

He knows that. You got into the middle of a discussion about something else
that is an IE issue -- an issue with no resolution, but the tangental
complaints were being discusssed.

0
Jeff
6/24/2010 8:46:16 PM
>Your email being blocked is not an IE issue.

Yes you are right. Sorry. It is basically topic drift.

Getting back:

Microsoft should fix IE8 so that on Web Page startup if the focus is now on some other part of the page then they *DO NOT* set
the focus to the Address box. If there is no focus by the time the page is almost up, then yes, put it to the Address box.

This allows who are starting to search before web page is rendered not to be irritated with a focus steal.
It is no different to change in Windows that prevents non-current applications from grabbing focus when yo uare not currently
interacting with them, now Windows just flashes the taskbar icon.

Thanks

Stephen Howe
0
Stephen
6/24/2010 8:52:33 PM
That's the responsibility of web developers. Usually good web pages will
place focus on the first input box on a web page when it completes loading.

>>Your email being blocked is not an IE issue.
>
> Yes you are right. Sorry. It is basically topic drift.
>
> Getting back:
>
> Microsoft should fix IE8 so that on Web Page startup if the focus is now
> on some other part of the page then they *DO NOT* set
> the focus to the Address box. If there is no focus by the time the page is
> almost up, then yes, put it to the Address box.
>
> This allows who are starting to search before web page is rendered not to
> be irritated with a focus steal.
> It is no different to change in Windows that prevents non-current
> applications from grabbing focus when yo uare not currently
> interacting with them, now Windows just flashes the taskbar icon.
>
> Thanks
>
> Stephen Howe

0
rob

> That's the responsibility of web developers. Usually good web pages will
> place focus on the first input box on a web page when it completes

Rob,

It is an IE issue, not a web page issue.   Jeff explained this perfectly.
Try it--even with About:Blank if that renders slowly enough or if you are
quick enough at getting into the Search bar.   Using  -nohome  is an
effective workaround if you know there is always the possibility that you
are going to want to search immediately.

Robert
---

0
Robert

O.T. IE8 Newsgroup
Hi, Is there a IE8 newsgroup? If so were do I look? I've got a couple of questions. Thank, Jim -- For all IE versions: Internet Explorer General Newsgroup. In your Newsreader: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general On the Web: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "James" <baldone@remove.earthlink.net> wrote in message news:_rCdnZCdlseCcFzWnZ2dnUVZ_oqdnZ2d@earthlink...

I have a red pencil box
It's red and holds pencils. ...

Multiple Domain e-mail addresses
We are running Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise addition and I am having a bit of a "brain-freeze" at the moment... Where in the Exchange Admin do I configure the server to accept e-mail from more than one domain. For example, we currently accept e-mail from mycurrentdomain.ca and would also like to accept email from mycurrentdomain.com. Please note that I have updated all of our DNS MX records as required, just need to make the changes on the Exchange server. Thanks in advance... Recipient polices-email address policy. "Raymond Spitzingle" <ray(nospam)@stuff...

Inbox and unread box
What's the purpose of having an inbox and an unread box in my outlook 2003. They both read the same number of messages. Is it a duplicate? With Outlook xp, it would simply show a number in black, to let me know the number of unopened messages. Now, there seems to be a separate folder entitled "unread" and it has the exact same number of email messages as my inbox ... all of time, and has always displayed the exact same number since I installed it. Is anyone able to explain this? I dont' understand it. Thanks in advance. Diana Definitely not a duplicate; it's a S...

Resolving External IP address Internally
When I access my server from outside my LAN I use something like http://173.191.14.188/page.html When I access my serer from inside my LAN I use something like http://servername/page.html I want to be able to access http://173.191.14.188/page.html from INSIDE my LAN but I can't. I have added a forward lookup A record in DNS but it still doesn't work. What do I need to do? Why? - Larry Please post the resolution to your issue so others may benefit - Get Your SBS Health Check at www.sbsbpa.com > When I access my server from outside my LAN I use something l...

how do I display email addresses memorized by autocomplete?
I have many email addresses that autocomplete has memorized, but that have not been entered into my contacts, that I would like to access. Any ideas? This is a great tool for it: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/outlook_nk2_autocomplete.html -- Ricardo Silva Add-ins for Microsoft(c) Outlook(c) http://www.rsoutlook.com/us/products.html "alyankee" <alyankee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:09CC2496-662A-4919-904C-EF6D93A51033@microsoft.com... >I have many email addresses that autocomplete has memorized, but that have > not been entered i...

search #6
hi i want to put a search option in a spredsheet so you can enter 3 or 4 criterias and it will search a page or a few pages for all the results that match the criteria, than it will return all the results to the 1st page, is this poss. please help thank you You can use an Advanced Filter to extract data to another sheet. There are instructions in Excel's Help, and here: http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html ash wrote: > hi i want to put a search option in a spredsheet so you can enter 3 or 4 > criterias and it will search a page or a few pages for all the results t...

How to export exchange global address book to WAB file?
I would like to export exchange address book to outlook express address book. How to export exchange global address book to WAB file? Mesak wrote: > I would like to export exchange address book to outlook express > address book. How to export exchange global address book to WAB file? I don't know about wab files, but see if http://www.slipstick.com/exs/portagal.htm helps at all. ...

how to search in excel with condition
First I must say that your site is great and it helps me a lot. Can you explaine to me how to do search in Excel ? explenation: I have 2 sheets on the same excel file. I need to search one column in the 2nd sheet and if i found the data I look for then I need excel to put this data in the first sheet on the same raw when the data is equel to. example: 1. on sheet 1 I have names of people. 2. on sheet 2 I have a cloumn that contains some of the names from sheet 1. 3. I need excel take each raw in sheet 1 and search sheet 2 for the same name. 4. if it found the same name in sheet 2 then...

Text box jumps to left of page
Word 2004 (I am relatively new to Word and am delighted to find a forum specifically for the Mac version. There are a number of unresolved, niggling issues I can live however they slow the workflow. I am eager to learn.) In the recent past, I manually converted 12,000+ recipes from WordPerfect 7 to Word. Since Word 2004 does not have a filter for the old files, the conversion was done on the Windows side of my Mac in Word2003. Those files _usually_ open without protest also in 2004. One annoyance regards text boxes. When text was highlighted and a text box was requested for it in...

IE8 'View Source' opens minimised
Suddenly, after no previous problems, when I open 'Page / View Source' in IE8 it flashes on screen then minimises immediately to the Taskbar. It can be viewed when maximised ok. It can be resized and I have then tried closing whilst holding down Ctrl. It only happens to 'View Source' not any other window. I am perplexed? Hi Bob, It is probably hidden from view behind the IE Window. Just move the IE Window down your screen to see the View Source window behind it. I have noticed the same issue since the last IE security update (last night my time)... It is a...

List box
I am trying to use the list box function from the control toolbar. I am not sure how to get the listings I want in the list box. Is there certain VB coding that is needed? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. Todd No VBA code needed. In Design mode, click on your list box and select Properties from the Control toolbox (or right-click your list box and select Properties), then scroll down to the ListFillRange Property and indicate the cell range address that has the items you want to appear in the box (i.e., A1:A10). Then exit out of design mode and test your list box. MRO "Tod...

Table headers in a list box (Custom Report)
I have a big table with many fields (more than fifty). They are not in one table but related. Now user's come with a requirement of a separate type of report everyday which has different fields. because of which i have to design a report for them with the required query. I was therefore wondering can i make a form which has two list boxes the one on left side will have all the fields of the table (only headers needed, not data). Users can select multiple no. of fields from that list box which will appear in another list box. Users should be able to then select the order of fi...

Dead Exchange box
I have a SBS 2003 Box that has failed and the owner has no back ups! (Fool) All I have to work with is the new box (Sane Name as the old box) and have managed to retrive the exchange folders from the old srever. Could someone please tell me the best way to get the data back On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 21:49:02 -0700, AndrewS <AndrewS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a SBS 2003 Box that has failed and the owner has no back ups! (Fool) >All I have to work with is the new box (Sane Name as the old box) and have >managed to retrive the exchange folders from the old srever....

How do I use the "Correlation" dialog box with multiple ranges?
I'm using data in an Excel 2003 in a workbook, trying to see if there is any correlation between specific offices in which people work and the length of time they have been employed, their age the amount of sickleave taken and/or the amount of sickleave balance they have. I'm attempting to use Data Analysis and the Correlation dialog box. Although the dialog description tells me that I can use multiple comparison ranges, I don't see how to do it. Thanks for any help. Paulf6 - Arrange your data in list (database) format, i.e., names in the top row (Time Employed, Age, ...)...

Text box unwanted border
For some reason I know not why, that even though I enter 'No line' in both Line/Border style and Dash style I still have a visible bold dash surrounding the text box. Any help would be appreciated. Did you happen to draw a rectangle around the text box? Try highlighting it, and move the bottom text box adjustment up. If the dashed line didn't move, click on it and delete. Or, Copy the text, and paste it and if the dashed line didn't go with the copy, delete the original. -- Don Vancouver, USA "Meridklt" <Meridklt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in m...

granting users Send as permissions causes errors unless they select the FROM address from the GAL
I've got some users who have two mailboxes, each with a different address. They need to be able to select which address they send from, on occasion. I've given them "send on behalf" and "send as" permissions the 2nd accounts. But, unless they select the FROM address from the GAL, they get the following error: You do not have permission to send to this recipient. If they manually type in the address, they receive this error. This is only a problem because I would prefer to hide the 2nd account from the GAL, to avoid confusion. Does anyone know a way around this?...

1 account, 2 computers and 2 email addresses
Good evening, I've got one broadband email account on two networked computers, both using Outlook 2000. I want each computer to receive their own respective emails, however, both computers are receiving emails from both accounts. I just double checked Outlook on this computer and under Accounts, only the account I created for this computer is there. Why am I still getting the other emails? And how do I filter so that each computer gets it's own respective mail? Thanks. Frank Phrank <Phrank> wrote: > I've got one broadband email account on two networked computers, ...

list box 06-08-07
Hi! I have two list boxes, one shows the list of creditors,"listCred", and the other,"listAR", shows the list of accounts receivable. How can I make the latter list show only the accounts of the creditor that i clicked from the former list? Thanks! -- ai® Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200706/1 Answered in UtterAccess, where you posted the same question. http://www.utteraccess.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=83&Number=1431290&Zf=&Zw=&Zg=0&Zl=a&Main=1431285&Search...

Exchange 2000, forwarding-only addresses, and licensing
I have a domain example.com in an Exchange 2000/AD environment. For some users in example.com I want to forward their mail to an SMTP mail server. These users will NOT have any mail stored on the Exchange 2000 server. My question: How can I forward their mail without paying for a license for them? Also, with Exchange 5.5 I could setup a custom recipient without creating a mailbox. Can I do that with Exchange 2000? I suppose I can just create a Contact address in AD? I am just looking for the best way to do this. An alternative I suppose is to create a mailbox, setup a forwarding address, and...

Address Book-
Hi! I have used Outlook Express with Office XP...I now have office 2003 and using Outlook 2003. How do I get the people that email me to automatically be put in my address book? I could do that in Outlook Express. Thanks for your help! Right click on their address in the From box and select Add to Contacts. There is no automatic method for doing this in Outlook. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer: SuAnn <MissGaVP@knology.net> asked: | Hi! I have used Outlook Express...

Value copied based on choosen value from combo box
I do have two sheets SheetA and SheetB SheetA 111 100 222 200 333 300 444 400 SheetB Consists of combo box for 1st column. After choosing value, the corresponding value in the neighboring column from sheetA is copied. 333 X 222 X 444 X Sample: 444 400 What is the formula is the X cells, it should be with MATCH or COUNT / COUNTIF but I cannot get the right formula. Bart Excel 2003 How to have a value being copied to another sheet? Hi One way, in cell B2 of Sheet2 =VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet1!$A$1;$B$100,2,0) copy down as far as required. Change the range A1:B100 to includ...

Multi-Search results into One Table
Hi All! I'm up for a bit of advice again!! You guys totally helped me out about a year ago! http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/access-forms/42886/Create-a-Search-using-Surnames-Firstnames-and-Invoice-Numbers#1163066276113601211570m73g2000cwdgooglegroupscom And now I'm up for some help again!! PLEASE!!! I have got a form which I need to search the following data: Surname - Fistname - Invoice Number. The search button I've got at the moment is a search textbox combined with the following query:- Like "*" & [Forms]![Search]![Search2] & "*" Re...

Google Desktop Search Addin error when I open outlook
help - when I open outlook 2007, I receive an error window stating Google Desktop Search Addin cannot be loaded and has been disabled by outlook - please contact manufacturer or uninstall add-in. I've read thru threads on how to correct, but I can't seem to locate the add-in to unistall. This started happening after I unistalled Google toolbar. I run vista business... thanks, N See Tools/Trust Center/Addins, and remove the Addin. -- Best regards Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook Manage and share your categories: <http://www.vboffice.net/product.html?lang=en>...