IE7 Files remaining after IE8 Install

On a Dell Precision 650 running 32 bit XP-Pro, I recently upgraded from
IE7 to IE8.  After a recent backup session, I see that my C:\ partition
still contains a large number of files labeled IE7.xxxx.

Can these IE7 labeled files be manually erased or are they integral to
IE8's proper operation?

Many thanks for any insight to what I have seen.
0
HenriK

"Can these IE7 labeled files be manually erased..."
NO!

"...or are they integral to IE8's proper operation?"
YES!
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

HenriK wrote:
> On a Dell Precision 650 running 32 bit XP-Pro, I recently upgraded from
> IE7 to IE8.  After a recent backup session, I see that my C:\ partition
> still contains a large number of files labeled IE7.xxxx.
>
> Can these IE7 labeled files be manually erased or are they integral to
> IE8's proper operation?
>
> Many thanks for any insight to what I have seen.
0
Leonard
2/9/2010 4:57:05 AM
First Law of Computers: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

HenriK wrote:
> On a Dell Precision 650 running 32 bit XP-Pro, I recently upgraded from
> IE7 to IE8.  After a recent backup session, I see that my C:\ partition
> still contains a large number of files labeled IE7.xxxx.
>
> Can these IE7 labeled files be manually erased or are they integral to
> IE8's proper operation?
>
> Many thanks for any insight to what I have seen.
0
PA
2/9/2010 6:54:31 AM
Leonard Grey <l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> "Can these IE7 labeled files be manually erased..."
> NO!
>
> "...or are they integral to IE8's proper operation?"
> YES!
> ---
> Leonard Grey

How is this supposed to be working?

On a Windows XP install with only IE6 (the default), one can install
IE8 immediately and there will be only IE8 files.

Or, one can first install IE7 and then IE8, in which case there are many
IE7 files left.

You claim that these are essential for IE8 operation.  But how does that
explain that an immediate install of IE8 works fine and does not install
those files?

I have installed both IE7 and IE8 with the /NOBACKUP switch, indicating
that there is no intention to go back.  But still it has left many old
files and even the entire list of hotfixes ever applied to IE7 in the
registry.

Interesting, because if you install e.g. SP3 on an SP2 system with a lot
of hotfixes, those fixes that are in SP3 are then removed from the list
of hotfixes in the registry.
This does not appear to happen for the IE update!  Why?
0
Rob
2/9/2010 9:26:03 AM
Why are you getting all hot and bothered over something that is of no
consequence at all?

Just because you don't understand something is not a reason to delete
it. I hope you don't look after your car the same way:

"What's this stupid wire for, anyway? I don't think I need it. I'll just
rip it out."
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Rob wrote:
> Leonard Grey <l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> "Can these IE7 labeled files be manually erased..."
>> NO!
>>
>> "...or are they integral to IE8's proper operation?"
>> YES!
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>
> How is this supposed to be working?
>
> On a Windows XP install with only IE6 (the default), one can install
> IE8 immediately and there will be only IE8 files.
>
> Or, one can first install IE7 and then IE8, in which case there are many
> IE7 files left.
>
> You claim that these are essential for IE8 operation.  But how does that
> explain that an immediate install of IE8 works fine and does not install
> those files?
>
> I have installed both IE7 and IE8 with the /NOBACKUP switch, indicating
> that there is no intention to go back.  But still it has left many old
> files and even the entire list of hotfixes ever applied to IE7 in the
> registry.
>
> Interesting, because if you install e.g. SP3 on an SP2 system with a lot
> of hotfixes, those fixes that are in SP3 are then removed from the list
> of hotfixes in the registry.
> This does not appear to happen for the IE update!  Why?
0
Leonard
2/9/2010 2:33:27 PM
I suppose that you could.  However, if you do delete these folders, IE will
no longer revert to IE7 if you remove IE8.
When I first noticed the old IE7 folders, the first thought that came to me
was "so that is why it is so easy to revert the previous version".
Jim
"HenriK" <bedpost@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> On a Dell Precision 650 running 32 bit XP-Pro, I recently upgraded from
> IE7 to IE8.  After a recent backup session, I see that my C:\ partition
> still contains a large number of files labeled IE7.xxxx.
>
> Can these IE7 labeled files be manually erased or are they integral to
> IE8's proper operation?
>
> Many thanks for any insight to what I have seen.

0
Jim
2/9/2010 3:19:55 PM
Leonard Grey <l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Why are you getting all hot and bothered over something that is of no
> consequence at all?

I am not hot and bothered, I am interested in how things work and
I assumed you knew something about it because you made such definite
statements about it.  Apparently not.

> Just because you don't understand something is not a reason to delete
> it. I hope you don't look after your car the same way:
>
> "What's this stupid wire for, anyway? I don't think I need it. I'll just
> rip it out."
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Rob wrote:
>> Leonard Grey <l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>> "Can these IE7 labeled files be manually erased..."
>>> NO!
>>>
>>> "...or are they integral to IE8's proper operation?"
>>> YES!
>>> ---
>>> Leonard Grey
>>
>> How is this supposed to be working?
>>
>> On a Windows XP install with only IE6 (the default), one can install
>> IE8 immediately and there will be only IE8 files.
>>
>> Or, one can first install IE7 and then IE8, in which case there are many
>> IE7 files left.
>>
>> You claim that these are essential for IE8 operation.  But how does that
>> explain that an immediate install of IE8 works fine and does not install
>> those files?
>>
>> I have installed both IE7 and IE8 with the /NOBACKUP switch, indicating
>> that there is no intention to go back.  But still it has left many old
>> files and even the entire list of hotfixes ever applied to IE7 in the
>> registry.
>>
>> Interesting, because if you install e.g. SP3 on an SP2 system with a lot
>> of hotfixes, those fixes that are in SP3 are then removed from the list
>> of hotfixes in the registry.
>> This does not appear to happen for the IE update!  Why?
0
Rob
2/9/2010 3:43:34 PM
Jim is correct, they are not required to run IE8, and if you delete them, it
will not affect IE8 performance. How much space are these files taking up?

Kyler
IE8 Outreach Team

"HenriK" wrote:

> On a Dell Precision 650 running 32 bit XP-Pro, I recently upgraded from
> IE7 to IE8.  After a recent backup session, I see that my C:\ partition
> still contains a large number of files labeled IE7.xxxx.
>
> Can these IE7 labeled files be manually erased or are they integral to
> IE8's proper operation?
>
> Many thanks for any insight to what I have seen.
> .

Actually, when I saw the IE7.xxxx files after doing the backup, I just
mentally noted that there seemed to be an awfully large number of these
IE7.xxxx files and did not actually total up the amount of disk space
involved.  At the same time, I am also mindful of the comment, "If it
ain't broke, don't fix it."  What was originally in the back of my mind
was getting rid of stuff that actually isn't needed because HD space is
finite and I wish that guidance existed for all Microsoft products on
what can and can not be gotten rid of.

Just to clarify, I had originally upgraded my machine from the default
IE6 to IE7 sometime back.

Many thanks to all for an interesting bit of education.

Kyler_IE8_Team wrote:
> Jim is correct, they are not required to run IE8, and if you delete them, it
> will not affect IE8 performance. How much space are these files taking up?
>
> Kyler
> IE8 Outreach Team
>
> "HenriK" wrote:
>
>> On a Dell Precision 650 running 32 bit XP-Pro, I recently upgraded from
>> IE7 to IE8.  After a recent backup session, I see that my C:\ partition
>> still contains a large number of files labeled IE7.xxxx.
>>
>> Can these IE7 labeled files be manually erased or are they integral to
>> IE8's proper operation?
>>
>> Many thanks for any insight to what I have seen.
>> .

0
HenriK
2/10/2010 8:14:58 PM
To add to my confusion, I have just looked at my backup logs more
carefully and find that in addition to the large number of ie7.xxxx
files I originally noted in my c:\windows\ie7\xxxx sub-directory
(folder), I also see a substantial number of ie5.xxxx files in various
sub-directories (folders) of c:\documents and settings\xxxx.   Since the
PC in question has never had an OS other than XP-Pro installed on it, my
guess is that these ie5.xxxx files have to refer to something other than
Internet Explorer 5, the default in Windows 2000-Pro.  Can anyone explain?

Perhaps I should add that this kind of snooping around one's file
listings is a byproduct of being housebound because of today's massive
mid-Atlantic blizzard.  My yard has 12" of new snow on top of 28" of
last week's snow and drifts of 60" - 72".  Nobody is going anywhere for
a couple of days.

   Kyler_IE8_Team wrote:
> Jim is correct, they are not required to run IE8, and if you delete them, it
> will not affect IE8 performance. How much space are these files taking up?
>
> Kyler
> IE8 Outreach Team
>
> "HenriK" wrote:
>
>> On a Dell Precision 650 running 32 bit XP-Pro, I recently upgraded from
>> IE7 to IE8.  After a recent backup session, I see that my C:\ partition
>> still contains a large number of files labeled IE7.xxxx.
>>
>> Can these IE7 labeled files be manually erased or are they integral to
>> IE8's proper operation?
>>
>> Many thanks for any insight to what I have seen.
>> .

0
HenriK
2/10/2010 10:25:22 PM
Now tell him what he should do if he deleted the files and later wanted or
needed to uninstall IE8.

While you're at it, find out if he's installed WinXP SP3 yet, too.

Kyler_IE8_Team wrote:
> Jim is correct, they are not required to run IE8, and if you delete them,
> it
> will not affect IE8 performance. How much space are these files taking up?
>
> Kyler
> IE8 Outreach Team
>
> "HenriK" wrote:
>
>> On a Dell Precision 650 running 32 bit XP-Pro, I recently upgraded from
>> IE7 to IE8.  After a recent backup session, I see that my C:\ partition
>> still contains a large number of files labeled IE7.xxxx.
>>
>> Can these IE7 labeled files be manually erased or are they integral to
>> IE8's proper operation?
>>
>> Many thanks for any insight to what I have seen.
>> .

0
PA
2/11/2010 12:21:48 AM
In my case, I am running XP-Pro, SP3.

It sounds like there is more to the utility of these files that wasn't
covered in Kyler's response although, in my case, I can't imagine why I
would want to go back to IE7.

I am curious, though, what SP3 has to do with the matter and, of most
interest, how removing the IE7 files would affect deinstalling IE8.

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Now tell him what he should do if he deleted the files and later wanted
> or needed to uninstall IE8.
>
> While you're at it, find out if he's installed WinXP SP3 yet, too.
>

> Kyler_IE8_Team wrote:
>> Jim is correct, they are not required to run IE8, and if you delete
>> them, it
>> will not affect IE8 performance. How much space are these files taking
>> up?
>>
>> Kyler
>> IE8 Outreach Team
>>
>> "HenriK" wrote:
>>
>>> On a Dell Precision 650 running 32 bit XP-Pro, I recently upgraded from
>>> IE7 to IE8.  After a recent backup session, I see that my C:\ partition
>>> still contains a large number of files labeled IE7.xxxx.
>>>
>>> Can these IE7 labeled files be manually erased or are they integral to
>>> IE8's proper operation?
>>>
>>> Many thanks for any insight to what I have seen.
>>> .

0
HenriK
2/11/2010 1:52:25 AM
A1. See http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/05/05/ie-and-xpsp3.aspx

A2. You wouldn't be able to uninstall IE8.

HenriK wrote:
> In my case, I am running XP-Pro, SP3.
>
> It sounds like there is more to the utility of these files that wasn't
> covered in Kyler's response although, in my case, I can't imagine why I
> would want to go back to IE7.
>
> I am curious, though, what SP3 has to do with the matter and, of most
> interest, how removing the IE7 files would affect deinstalling IE8.
>

> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> Now tell him what he should do if he deleted the files and later wanted
>> or needed to uninstall IE8.
>>
>> While you're at it, find out if he's installed WinXP SP3 yet, too.
>>

>> Kyler_IE8_Team wrote:
>>> Jim is correct, they are not required to run IE8, and if you delete
>>> them, it
>>> will not affect IE8 performance. How much space are these files taking
>>> up?
>>>
>>> Kyler
>>> IE8 Outreach Team

0
PA
2/11/2010 7:16:07 AM
You don't have any IE5 files if your OS started as Windows XP - you will
have folders with IE5 in the name though. These are just IE's temporary
internet files folders - if you need to clear them out use the delete files
option from within the IE settings. The IE5 in the name is just a hangover
from the earlier IE version so that upgrades didn't have to worry about
relocated TIF, they just continued to use the same folders as IE5 did and
this naming scheme carried through the later versions too.

Dan

> To add to my confusion, I have just looked at my backup logs more
> carefully and find that in addition to the large number of ie7.xxxx files
> I originally noted in my c:\windows\ie7\xxxx sub-directory (folder), I
> also see a substantial number of ie5.xxxx files in various sub-directories
> (folders) of c:\documents and settings\xxxx.   Since the PC in question
> has never had an OS other than XP-Pro installed on it, my guess is that
> these ie5.xxxx files have to refer to something other than Internet
> Explorer 5, the default in Windows 2000-Pro.  Can anyone explain?
>
> Perhaps I should add that this kind of snooping around one's file listings
> is a byproduct of being housebound because of today's massive mid-Atlantic
> blizzard.  My yard has 12" of new snow on top of 28" of last week's snow
> and drifts of 60" - 72".  Nobody is going anywhere for a couple of days.
>

>   Kyler_IE8_Team wrote:
>> Jim is correct, they are not required to run IE8, and if you delete them,
>> it will not affect IE8 performance. How much space are these files taking
>> up?
>>
>> Kyler
>> IE8 Outreach Team
>>
>> "HenriK" wrote:
>>
>>> On a Dell Precision 650 running 32 bit XP-Pro, I recently upgraded from
>>> IE7 to IE8.  After a recent backup session, I see that my C:\ partition
>>> still contains a large number of files labeled IE7.xxxx.
>>>
>>> Can these IE7 labeled files be manually erased or are they integral to
>>> IE8's proper operation?
>>>
>>> Many thanks for any insight to what I have seen.
>>> .

0
Dan
2/11/2010 2:51:06 PM
Thank you.  I have learned something.

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> A1. See http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/05/05/ie-and-xpsp3.aspx
>
> A2. You wouldn't be able to uninstall IE8.
>

> HenriK wrote:
>> In my case, I am running XP-Pro, SP3.
>>
>> It sounds like there is more to the utility of these files that wasn't
>> covered in Kyler's response although, in my case, I can't imagine why I
>> would want to go back to IE7.
>>
>> I am curious, though, what SP3 has to do with the matter and, of most
>> interest, how removing the IE7 files would affect deinstalling IE8.
>>

>> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>>> Now tell him what he should do if he deleted the files and later wanted
>>> or needed to uninstall IE8.
>>>
>>> While you're at it, find out if he's installed WinXP SP3 yet, too.

0
HenriK
2/12/2010 2:33:20 AM
You're welcome.  That's why they pay us the big bucks!

NOT!

HenriK wrote:
> Thank you.  I have learned something.
>

> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> A1. See http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/05/05/ie-and-xpsp3.aspx
>>
>> A2. You wouldn't be able to uninstall IE8.
>>

>> HenriK wrote:
>>> In my case, I am running XP-Pro, SP3.
>>>
>>> It sounds like there is more to the utility of these files that wasn't
>>> covered in Kyler's response although, in my case, I can't imagine why I
>>> would want to go back to IE7.
>>>
>>> I am curious, though, what SP3 has to do with the matter and, of most
>>> interest, how removing the IE7 files would affect deinstalling IE8.

0
PA

Importing into Excel from a Text file
We have a text database of about 7,000 rings. It is in a fixed format. Unfortunately some where we have about 4 or five rings whose format is screwed up. We figured by importing to Excel, we should be able to find where the records are to fix them. But, we just can't get the following format to import into excel. If anyone can help us, we sure would appreciate it! Thank you Greg Gates www.ringdesigner.com Each record begins with Begin Product Each record endswith EndProduct a semicolin seperates each record Also there are para symbols at the end of every line Herer are a...

hyperlink to existing excel file
When I create a hyperlink to an existing excel file and then click on it, explorer opens to the folder that the file is in instead of the excel file opening. Just to test I pointed it to a word document and the doc file opened fine. How do I get a hyperlink to open the excel file? Thanks. Are you sure it isn't to the folder instead. Only way I can reproduce that is if I select the folder instead of the file when I create the hyperlink. As expected if I use a hyperlink to a particular file it will open.. -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "purplehaz" <software@for.me> wrote i...

Problems installing Office 2004
I used a trial version of Office 2004 in my MacBook until it expired. I few days ago I bought I licensed Office 2004 - Student and teacher edition and tried to install it in the MacBook. I deleted the previous version by dragging all Office folder to trash. I inserted the CD but could not install using the installer since it did not appear active, so I copied the whole Office folder to the Applications. After this I tried to open an Office application, but no one opened. I tried to remove Office using the removal tool but that also did not open. Any suggestions of what should I do? ASPer...

Save for Web (.htm) file
I have two similarly structured XLS file. One file "A" is much longer...perhaps 2000 rows long...when saved as a htm file it is around 500KB. I take another XLS spreadsheet that looks like the same structure...rows and colums...only about 560 rows...when I save this as webpage .htm it ends up being 11.2MB. What the heck happened? How do I get it down in size. There is no apparent reason why a smaller file ends up being 11 time larger that the smaller file when saved! Thanks, --confused ...

point exchange to a different priv1.edb file
I have a snapshot of my priv1.edb file on a different drive. I know that exchange 2003 lets us me the priv1.edb file to a different location if the file isn't already there. Is there a way to have exchange point to a different priv1.edb and use it? On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 21:31:01 -0700, Han <Han@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > >I have a snapshot of my priv1.edb file on a different drive. I know that >exchange 2003 lets us me the priv1.edb file to a different location if the >file isn't already there. > >Is there a way to have exchange point to a differ...

Problem with Outlook e-mail after installing Microsoft Publisher
I have not been able to send e-mails from Outlook after installing Microsoft Publisher. Any suggestions on how to remedy this sotuation? Are you getting an error? Is Outlook working okay through other programs? The Send This Page as Message command is not available when you click Send E-mail on the File menu in Publisher 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884425 -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Techblues" <Techblues@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CCCE2A75-8...

Hyperlink Error
I have a hyperlink set-up for a netwrok file. It works fine, but when the file is copied the hyperlin chages to the folder that the file has been copied to. original link - L:\folder\folder\file Changes to - C:\file How can I get it to keep the original link? Justin ...

getting a single line from a file
I was wondering if someone could tell me how to read a single line from a text file. I tried using getline, but my MFC program does not recognize the getline function. Nor does it recognize <string> or <string.h> or using namespace std. So is there another function that I can use in MFC? Roger Take a look at the CStdioFile MFC class. -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] ----------------------------------- "R.H." <roger.huggins@intermec.com> wrote in message news:e98o6IMmDHA.1764@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I was wondering if someone could tell me ho...

overwritten file
I have a client that overwrote an excel sheet. He did not have autorecovery on. Is there any way to recover this document? Sorry, no. -- John johnf202 at hotmail dot com "mark" <mark@mwts.cc> wrote in message news:4c7501c356ae$89ae8500$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I have a client that overwrote an excel sheet. He did not > have autorecovery on. Is there any way to recover this > document? Backup file is pretty much his only option if one exists. Has he perhaps sent the file anywhere else that he can get a copy back from, or if so he could possibly still have a ...

File Size #4
Using Windows XP and Office 2007 Is there a reason that Publisher files keep growing in size? We have a weekly bulletin with some static information and some information that changes from week to week. On Monday, we open last week's publication, delete the no-longer-relavent text boxes and pictures, and add new text boxes and pictures for the current week. That has been our standard practice. I just noticed that the file size is increasing exponentially which leads me to believe that even though I delete things, there is still some sort of "ghost" material left in the...

Preventing Excel files from being moved or deleted
What permissions setting is used to prevent users from moving or deleting an Excel file on a network? This is more of an network operating system setting question. I would think putting the file on a share that the users only had readonly access would be enough. But this would mean that the users could still copy (not move) the file. And they wouldn't be able to update the workbook. bg500 wrote: > > What permissions setting is used to prevent users from moving or deleting an > Excel file on a network? -- Dave Peterson All explained in Start>Help and Support "p...

Windows Easy Transfer won't load files?
I ran Windows Easy Transfer on my laptop with Windows 7 RC1 to save and move my profile data because Win 7 RC is shutting down. I am trying to install the Windows Easy Tranfer data to Windows Vista Business. Each time I try it won't read the file but keep asking for the drive with the data to be loaded. I tried a test by moving the the data (.MIG) files out of the folder I saved them to and put them in the root of the drive but that didn't help. I tried a test of copying the files to the root of C: and now it actually sees the file for the short test at home I trying in t...

publisher 97 won't import a file graph of acceptable quality.
To MSFT: Let me try this again. I have Pub 97 that I must use for writing a manual. I try to import a black and white graphic-a chart, in jpeg or gif or whatever,but the graphic is of such poor quality that it can not be used. This only happens in my Publisher program. I have tried to change the adapter accerleration reading, but it does not help. Does anyone else have this problem with the older version of Pub 97? Do you have this problem with later versions of Publisher? Any ideas are appeciated. Check your graphics filters. Might have some corruption going on. They are in a folder sim...

List of File Extensions
Is there a list somewhere that contains the file extensions used in Office 2003 applications? I need to backup files before re-installing my OS. These include files that store settings, customizations, macros, Outlook address books, etc. ...

Making Design Gallery Objects available to other files in publishe
Hello, I created some custom objects and saved them to the Design Gallery, and they did appear under My Objects. However, I saved the file and opened up a new one and to my shock My Objects was empty. I opened the earlier file where I created and saved the objects and they were still there. Does this mean that the Design Gallery if file-specific and not saved in a Publisher Application file for use in other .pub files? Perhaps that is the default setting that can be changed later. Please help me on this matter. Thank you in advance for your support. Alcide <Alcide@discussions.micr...

Automatic open locked excel file through access control
We know,Excel has prompt password to open it files. Is it possible to create a code that can supplies the excel prompt password?.So that when we open the excel file through our access control in a form, the excel files can be opened automatically.But when the excel files opened from its default icon,it will prompt a password first. On Jul 10, 8:43 pm, "shiro" <s...@play.com> wrote: > We know,Excel has prompt password > to open it files. > Is it possible to create a code that can > supplies the excel prompt password?.So that when we > open the excel file throu...

I can not remove the read only from a file on a cd why
Can someone help me. When I store a file on a cd and then retrieve it, I can not edit it, it comes back as read only. When I go to the file and try to change the attribue within the properties and remove the read only access it is denied. If I save on the hard drive I can make what ever changes I want. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Jeff Smith (212) 929-8024 Jeff, as far as I'm aware, it is still not possible to save a file directly to a CD, as it needs to be "burnt" via burning software . This includes any changes to the file if you have opened it directly from...

Notes to a File
Hello, I use my Notes to store usernames and passwords (bad, I know). I want to transfer them all to a Word File and then delete them but I can't seem to do this in bulk. Any ideas? Thanks! "GeorgeA" <GeorgeA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F8115371-3ADE-421B-90A5-3CCB833DC8D0@microsoft.com... > I use my Notes to store usernames and passwords (bad, I know). I want to > transfer them all to a Word File and then delete them but I can't seem to do > this in bulk. Export your Notes folder to a CSV or TSV file and open that in Wor...

Slow Response with IE7
I recently set up a Dell desktop with Dual Core Processor. Has Vista Home Premium, 1GB memory. On a Dell forum I was told that 1GB is absolute minimum with Vista, more is better. Also told that slow system response in IE7 can be caused by the Phishing filter and having Protected Mode on. I turned off the Phishing filter - no improvement. Turned it back on and turned off Protected Mode - a vast improvement!! Finally, my questions: - Does anyone know why Protected Mode is causing me such slow response? Is there a fix for this? - I've read that Protected Mode is to prevent the in...

Access file size limit for 2003 and 2007 and memory issue
(1) Can someone tell me the max file size of Access file?(2) Also, when I open a 2GB Access file, does it uses 2 GB of memory?The reason I asked is that when I opened such file, I see theavailable memory in the Tasks Manager window went down to zerogradually.(3) I saw some posts that suggested using table link to deal with thesize issue, but would the performance (speed) go down when runningqueries using tables from two different Access file?- Grasshopper - "Grasshopper" <excelmodeling@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1174962344.143858.324700@y66g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...>...

Simple File Saving question...
Everytime I open an Excel spreadsheet it opens to the last cell that I edited. Does anyone know how to make an Excel spreadsheet open to the top left cell on the first worksheet everytime... regardless of where I saved it last? Thanks, Ian Hi Ian, Try this Private Sub Workbook_Open() Worksheets("Sheet1").Activate Range("A1").Select End Sub 'This is workbook event code. 'To input this code, right click on the Excel icon on the worksheet '(or next to the File menu if you maximise your workbooks), 'select View Code from the menu, and paste the...

XSDObjectGen and generating multiple .cs files for multiple schema
I'm looking for a good tool to generate C# classes (from XSD-schemas) to (de-)serialize XML corresponding to those schemas. XSDObjectGen almost meets these requirements -- only, I need to generate a ..cs file for each common .xsd file that is included (xsd:include) -- there are a lot schemas which include several common .xsd files (full schema at http://www.witsml.org/schemas/WITSML120_2003-01-30.zip). The "/s" switch would have beein ideal for this, only it still generates only one .cs file -- maybe this is only for "imported" (as opposed to "included&quo...

Saving Publisher Files to BMP or JPEG
Hi, I have created a publication in MS Publisher but wish to save the format so I may us it in the body of a Outlook email. How do I save to a BMP or JPEG format so I may do this? I don't wish to use it as an attachment. Can someone help? Frank In Publisher 2002-03, file, save as, files of type, scroll down to the image extensions. Older versions, select all, copy, paste to MS Paint or some other editing program. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Francis Cunningham, Jr." <FrancisCunninghamJr@discussi...

Export Outlook file to Excel
Hello, When I export an Outlook File to Excel workbook I get most of the information that I want but I do not get the received time and date of the email. How can I get this information exported onto and excel file. Thanks, Nandita ...

Automatically update from source when file opens
I have an XLS worksheet (destionation file) that I wish to populate with data from a CSV file (source). In order to update the XLS, the CSV must be open. What is the best way to automatically update the destination file? Can a macro automatically open the source file, upload the data to the destination file, then close? Or is there an easy way to open the CSV file automatically when the XLS is opened? thanks Hi, Have you looked at Data - Import External Data - New Database Query... and choosing Text Files as the data source ? You then select the csv file, and use microsoft query t...