IE cannot display web page

I'm using WinXP and IE7 on one computer and WinXP and IE8 on another. Both
are fully updated--the OS and Flash and Java.

Neither computer has been able to display one website. It's for a light
fixture store; and when I phoned the store today, the people who work there
said they use WinXP and IE and the site displays just fine (although someone
else told them last week that the web page couldn't be displayed).

Any idea how I can get to this site? It's

http://lightoptions.net/

Thank you!

Jo-Anne

0
Jo

It doesn't display for me, both on my Win7 machine with IE8 or my XP with
IE7. It's them, not you.
--
           Bruce Hagen
         MS-MVP  [Mail]

"Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
> I'm using WinXP and IE7 on one computer and WinXP and IE8 on another.
> Both are fully updated--the OS and Flash and Java.
>
> Neither computer has been able to display one website. It's for a light
> fixture store; and when I phoned the store today, the people who work
> there said they use WinXP and IE and the site displays just fine
> (although someone else told them last week that the web page couldn't be
> displayed).
>
> Any idea how I can get to this site? It's
>
> http://lightoptions.net/
>
> Thank you!
>
> Jo-Anne

0
Bruce
3/19/2010 1:54:22 AM
Thank you, Bruce! I will call them tomorrow and tell them. I wonder how
they're getting at their own website--or perhaps their catalog is separate
from the internet and they can't tell the difference?

Jo-Anne

"Bruce Hagen" <BRH@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> It doesn't display for me, both on my Win7 machine with IE8 or my XP with
> IE7. It's them, not you.
> --
>           Bruce Hagen
>         MS-MVP  [Mail]
>      Imperial Beach, CA
>

> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>> I'm using WinXP and IE7 on one computer and WinXP and IE8 on another.
>> Both are fully updated--the OS and Flash and Java.
>>
>> Neither computer has been able to display one website. It's for a light
>> fixture store; and when I phoned the store today, the people who work
>> there said they use WinXP and IE and the site displays just fine
>> (although someone else told them last week that the web page couldn't be
>> displayed).
>>
>> Any idea how I can get to this site? It's
>>
>> http://lightoptions.net/
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Jo-Anne

0
Jo
3/19/2010 1:58:39 AM
Hi Jo-Anne,

For your IE8 computer (I did not test with IE7 yet, but try to get the IE8
machine to work first) go

Tools>Internet Options - Security tab, click the "Reset all zones to
default" button.

On the Advanced tab, check "Automatically recover from rendering errors with
Compatibility View"

Try to load the site again.

There are some serious coding problems on their homepage... It works on my
Vista IE8 machine and my XP IE8 machine with the above settings...

If still no luck please go to

http://enhanceie.com/ua.aspx

and copy and post back with your userAgent string (the page above will
explain what tf userAgent string is)

Regards.

> I'm using WinXP and IE7 on one computer and WinXP and IE8 on another. Both
> are fully updated--the OS and Flash and Java.
>
> Neither computer has been able to display one website. It's for a light
> fixture store; and when I phoned the store today, the people who work
> there said they use WinXP and IE and the site displays just fine (although
> someone else told them last week that the web page couldn't be displayed).
>
> Any idea how I can get to this site? It's
>
> http://lightoptions.net/
>
> Thank you!
>
> Jo-Anne

0
rob
3/19/2010 2:45:46 AM
Hi Bruce,

<head>

> It doesn't display for me, both on my Win7 machine with IE8 or my XP with
> IE7. It's them, not you.
> --
>           Bruce Hagen
>         MS-MVP  [Mail]
>      Imperial Beach, CA
>

> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>> I'm using WinXP and IE7 on one computer and WinXP and IE8 on another.
>> Both are fully updated--the OS and Flash and Java.
>>
>> Neither computer has been able to display one website. It's for a light
>> fixture store; and when I phoned the store today, the people who work
>> there said they use WinXP and IE and the site displays just fine
>> (although someone else told them last week that the web page couldn't be
>> displayed).
>>
>> Any idea how I can get to this site? It's
>>
>> http://lightoptions.net/
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Jo-Anne

0
rob
3/19/2010 3:12:39 AM
Thank you, Rob! I tried your fixes, but they didn't work. After I did the
reset to default at the Security tab, it appeared that nothing had changed;
and "Automatically recover..." was already checked at the Advanced tab.
Here's what I got at the website you had me go to on my computer running
IE8:

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; GTB6.4; .NET
CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Thank you again!

Jo-Anne

> Hi Jo-Anne,
>
> For your IE8 computer (I did not test with IE7 yet, but try to get the IE8
> machine to work first) go
>
> Tools>Internet Options - Security tab, click the "Reset all zones to
> default" button.
>
> On the Advanced tab, check "Automatically recover from rendering errors
> with Compatibility View"
>
> Try to load the site again.
>
> There are some serious coding problems on their homepage... It works on my
> Vista IE8 machine and my XP IE8 machine with the above settings...
>
> If still no luck please go to
>
> http://enhanceie.com/ua.aspx
>
> and copy and post back with your userAgent string (the page above will
> explain what tf userAgent string is)
>
> Regards.
>
> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>> I'm using WinXP and IE7 on one computer and WinXP and IE8 on another.
>> Both are fully updated--the OS and Flash and Java.
>>
>> Neither computer has been able to display one website. It's for a light
>> fixture store; and when I phoned the store today, the people who work
>> there said they use WinXP and IE and the site displays just fine
>> (although someone else told them last week that the web page couldn't be
>> displayed).
>>
>> Any idea how I can get to this site? It's
>>
>> http://lightoptions.net/
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Jo-Anne

0
Jo
3/19/2010 3:59:09 AM

"Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
> I'm using WinXP and IE7 on one computer and WinXP and IE8 on another. Both
> are fully updated--the OS and Flash and Java.
>
> Neither computer has been able to display one website. It's for a light
> fixture store; and when I phoned the store today, the people who work
> there said they use WinXP and IE and the site displays just fine (although
> someone else told them last week that the web page couldn't be displayed).
>
> Any idea how I can get to this site? It's
>
> http://lightoptions.net/

You can't always abbreviate hostnames any way you want.
E.g.  a  BING search with  lightoptions  shows two possibilities.
Do the search and figure out which one you want.

> Thank you!
>
> Jo-Anne

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

0
Robert

> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>> I'm using WinXP and IE7 on one computer and WinXP and IE8 on another.
>> Both are fully updated--the OS and Flash and Java.
>>
>> Neither computer has been able to display one website. It's for a light
>> fixture store; and when I phoned the store today, the people who work
>> there said they use WinXP and IE and the site displays just fine
>> (although someone else told them last week that the web page couldn't be
>> displayed).
>>
>> Any idea how I can get to this site? It's
>>
>> http://lightoptions.net/
>

> You can't always abbreviate hostnames any way you want.
> E.g.  a  BING search with  lightoptions  shows two possibilities.
> Do the search and figure out which one you want.
>

>> Thank you!
>>
>> Jo-Anne
>

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

Hi, Robert,

I'm afraid I don't understand. The company's website is www.lightoptions.net
.. The other lightoptions I found with a search is a .com--and that's not the
right one. I didn't abbreviate the host name at all... In fact, the first
time I tried to get to the site, I did it at Google, after finding it with a
search. I just clicked on the link--and got the error message. No matter how
I try getting to the site, I always get the error message.

Jo-Anne

0
Jo
3/19/2010 5:04:07 AM
Using Google I can view a "cached" copy of the webpage from March 11.  They
must be having problems with their webpage and not realize it.

> "Robert Aldwinckle" <robald@techemail.com> wrote in message
>>

>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm using WinXP and IE7 on one computer and WinXP and IE8 on another.
>>> Both are fully updated--the OS and Flash and Java.
>>>
>>> Neither computer has been able to display one website. It's for a light
>>> fixture store; and when I phoned the store today, the people who work
>>> there said they use WinXP and IE and the site displays just fine
>>> (although someone else told them last week that the web page couldn't be
>>> displayed).
>>>
>>> Any idea how I can get to this site? It's
>>>
>>> http://lightoptions.net/
>>

>> You can't always abbreviate hostnames any way you want.
>> E.g.  a  BING search with  lightoptions  shows two possibilities.
>> Do the search and figure out which one you want.
>>

>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> Jo-Anne
>>

>> HTH
>>
>> Robert Aldwinckle
>> ---
>
> Hi, Robert,
>
> I'm afraid I don't understand. The company's website is
> www.lightoptions.net . The other lightoptions I found with a search is a
> .com--and that's not the right one. I didn't abbreviate the host name at
> all... In fact, the first time I tried to get to the site, I did it at
> Google, after finding it with a search. I just clicked on the link--and
> got the error message. No matter how I try getting to the site, I always
> get the error message.
>
> Jo-Anne

0
Robin
3/19/2010 6:24:39 AM
Hi Jo-Anne,

Do you have the Google Toolbar enabled/Visible?

Try to rule out Google and other IE Addons by starting IE in no Addons mode.

Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Internet Explorer (no Addons)

I can get there no problems. They are US based so timeouts should not be the
issue even if you have dialup. Apart from the html errors in their page
there are no links to other sites and even placing the site in the
Restricted zone does nothing.

If no Addons mode works it may be one of your settings for the Google
Toolbar (Quality control)... Click the Spanner options button on the toolbar
you will see the options that are not compatible with IE8 clearly marked.
Uncheck them or disable/hide the GTB.

Your version of the GTB is compatible with IE8. Just some of the options
aren't.

Regards.

> Thank you, Rob! I tried your fixes, but they didn't work. After I did the
> reset to default at the Security tab, it appeared that nothing had
> changed; and "Automatically recover..." was already checked at the
> Advanced tab. Here's what I got at the website you had me go to on my
> computer running IE8:
>
> Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; GTB6.4;
> .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
>
> Thank you again!
>
> Jo-Anne
>
> "rob^_^" <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Jo-Anne,
>>
>> For your IE8 computer (I did not test with IE7 yet, but try to get the
>> IE8 machine to work first) go
>>
>> Tools>Internet Options - Security tab, click the "Reset all zones to
>> default" button.
>>
>> On the Advanced tab, check "Automatically recover from rendering errors
>> with Compatibility View"
>>
>> Try to load the site again.
>>
>> There are some serious coding problems on their homepage... It works on
>> my Vista IE8 machine and my XP IE8 machine with the above settings...
>>
>> If still no luck please go to
>>
>> http://enhanceie.com/ua.aspx
>>
>> and copy and post back with your userAgent string (the page above will
>> explain what tf userAgent string is)
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm using WinXP and IE7 on one computer and WinXP and IE8 on another.
>>> Both are fully updated--the OS and Flash and Java.
>>>
>>> Neither computer has been able to display one website. It's for a light
>>> fixture store; and when I phoned the store today, the people who work
>>> there said they use WinXP and IE and the site displays just fine
>>> (although someone else told them last week that the web page couldn't be
>>> displayed).
>>>
>>> Any idea how I can get to this site? It's
>>>
>>> http://lightoptions.net/
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> Jo-Anne

0
rob
3/19/2010 6:34:09 AM
Good point, Robin. I was able to see the cached copy too--but couldn't get
anywhere from it; no matter what link I clicked on in the cached copy, I got
the same error message. I'll definitely give them a heads-up.

Thank you!

Jo-Anne

"Robin" <greetings@html.com> wrote in message
> Using Google I can view a "cached" copy of the webpage from March 11.
> They must be having problems with their webpage and not realize it.
>
> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>> "Robert Aldwinckle" <robald@techemail.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message

>>> You can't always abbreviate hostnames any way you want.
>>> E.g.  a  BING search with  lightoptions  shows two possibilities.
>>> Do the search and figure out which one you want.

>>> HTH
>>>
>>> Robert Aldwinckle
>>> ---
>>
>> Hi, Robert,
>>
>> I'm afraid I don't understand. The company's website is
>> www.lightoptions.net . The other lightoptions I found with a search is a
>> .com--and that's not the right one. I didn't abbreviate the host name at
>> all... In fact, the first time I tried to get to the site, I did it at
>> Google, after finding it with a search. I just clicked on the link--and
>> got the error message. No matter how I try getting to the site, I always
>> get the error message.
>>
>> Jo-Anne

0
Jo
3/19/2010 6:52:01 AM
Hi, again, Rob,

I unchecked the Google Toolbar shortly after I bought the computer. However,
at your suggestion, I started IE with no addons--and still no luck getting
to that website. As Robin suggested, I clicked on the cached version of the
main webpage at the Google.com search results and got it (minus a lot of
material on the page) as of March 11.

My connection is DSL and quite fast, I think.

If I want to contact the company, what should I say about what might be
causing the problem? (It's interesting that Bruce couldn't get to the site
and Robin could see only the cached page--same as I could.)

Thank you again!

Jo-Anne

> Hi Jo-Anne,
>
> Do you have the Google Toolbar enabled/Visible?
>
> Try to rule out Google and other IE Addons by starting IE in no Addons
> mode.
>
> Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Internet Explorer (no Addons)
>

> I can get there no problems. They are US based so timeouts should not be
> the issue even if you have dialup. Apart from the html errors in their
> page there are no links to other sites and even placing the site in the
> Restricted zone does nothing.
>
> If no Addons mode works it may be one of your settings for the Google
> Toolbar (Quality control)... Click the Spanner options button on the
> toolbar you will see the options that are not compatible with IE8 clearly
> marked. Uncheck them or disable/hide the GTB.
>
> Your version of the GTB is compatible with IE8. Just some of the options
> aren't.
>
> Regards.
>
> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Thank you, Rob! I tried your fixes, but they didn't work. After I did the
>> reset to default at the Security tab, it appeared that nothing had
>> changed; and "Automatically recover..." was already checked at the
>> Advanced tab. Here's what I got at the website you had me go to on my
>> computer running IE8:
>>
>> Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; GTB6.4;
>> .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
>>
>> Thank you again!
>>
>> Jo-Anne
>>
>> "rob^_^" <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Jo-Anne,
>>>
>>> For your IE8 computer (I did not test with IE7 yet, but try to get the
>>> IE8 machine to work first) go
>>>
>>> Tools>Internet Options - Security tab, click the "Reset all zones to
>>> default" button.
>>>
>>> On the Advanced tab, check "Automatically recover from rendering errors
>>> with Compatibility View"
>>>
>>> Try to load the site again.
>>>
>>> There are some serious coding problems on their homepage... It works on
>>> my Vista IE8 machine and my XP IE8 machine with the above settings...
>>>
>>> If still no luck please go to
>>>
>>> http://enhanceie.com/ua.aspx
>>>
>>> and copy and post back with your userAgent string (the page above will
>>> explain what tf userAgent string is)
>>>
>>> Regards.
>>>
>>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message

0
Jo
3/19/2010 7:03:26 AM
Hi,

Is Google your homepage in IE8? Do you have "Include updated website lists
from Microsoft" checked on the Tools>Compatibility View Settings?

I actually get directed to http://www.lightoptions.net/e/index.asp when I
copy and paste www.lightoptions.net. in the IE Address bar.

So they have changed the location of their homepage recently and the Google
search results were using an old link. Search Spiders crawl web sites and
index links and pages and meta data from web sites according to instructions
in robots.txt.

They need to go to Google site owners site and get the Google spiders to
re-index their site each time they change the home page...

Actually I just checked... they do not have a robots.txt file. The link you
clicked on was probably a paid google adsence link. Tell them to visit the
Google Site Owners site and to add a robots.txt file to their site and have
the Google spiders index their site. They should get more information about
how to maximize their Google ads from the G site owners site.

Their web page has some errors on it which may cause it not to display in
some modern standards compliant web browsers. I charge too much to bother
them with what should be changed. They probably outsource the programming
for their site anyway.

Perhaps thats why they recently changed their homepage. The programmers are
trying to fix things.<sigh> fix or f it.

MS also charges for business support, so I guess they will be on their own.

Your not programming it are you? Keeping quiet out of embarrassment?

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=35769

> Hi, again, Rob,
>
> I unchecked the Google Toolbar shortly after I bought the computer.
> However, at your suggestion, I started IE with no addons--and still no
> luck getting to that website. As Robin suggested, I clicked on the cached
> version of the main webpage at the Google.com search results and got it
> (minus a lot of material on the page) as of March 11.
>
> My connection is DSL and quite fast, I think.
>
> If I want to contact the company, what should I say about what might be
> causing the problem? (It's interesting that Bruce couldn't get to the site
> and Robin could see only the cached page--same as I could.)
>
> Thank you again!
>
> Jo-Anne
>

> "rob^_^" <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Jo-Anne,
>>
>> Do you have the Google Toolbar enabled/Visible?
>>
>> Try to rule out Google and other IE Addons by starting IE in no Addons
>> mode.
>>
>> Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Internet Explorer (no Addons)
>>

>> I can get there no problems. They are US based so timeouts should not be
>> the issue even if you have dialup. Apart from the html errors in their
>> page there are no links to other sites and even placing the site in the
>> Restricted zone does nothing.
>>
>> If no Addons mode works it may be one of your settings for the Google
>> Toolbar (Quality control)... Click the Spanner options button on the
>> toolbar you will see the options that are not compatible with IE8 clearly
>> marked. Uncheck them or disable/hide the GTB.
>>
>> Your version of the GTB is compatible with IE8. Just some of the options
>> aren't.
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> Thank you, Rob! I tried your fixes, but they didn't work. After I did
>>> the reset to default at the Security tab, it appeared that nothing had
>>> changed; and "Automatically recover..." was already checked at the
>>> Advanced tab. Here's what I got at the website you had me go to on my
>>> computer running IE8:
>>>
>>> Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; GTB6.4;
>>> .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
>>>
>>> Thank you again!
>>>
>>> Jo-Anne
>>>
>>> "rob^_^" <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote in message

0
rob
3/19/2010 8:45:16 AM
As of this moment (March 19, 1353 UTC or 9:53 AM EDT), the site is up.

Jo-Anne wrote:
> Good point, Robin. I was able to see the cached copy too--but
> couldn't get anywhere from it; no matter what link I clicked on in
> the cached copy, I got the same error message. I'll definitely give
> them a heads-up.
> Thank you!
>
> Jo-Anne
>
> "Robin" <greetings@html.com> wrote in message
>> Using Google I can view a "cached" copy of the webpage from March 11.
>> They must be having problems with their webpage and not realize it.
>>
>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> "Robert Aldwinckle" <robald@techemail.com> wrote in message

>>> Hi, Robert,
>>>
>>> I'm afraid I don't understand. The company's website is
>>> www.lightoptions.net . The other lightoptions I found with a search
>>> is a .com--and that's not the right one. I didn't abbreviate the
>>> host name at all... In fact, the first time I tried to get to the
>>> site, I did it at Google, after finding it with a search. I just
>>> clicked on the link--and got the error message. No matter how I try
>>> getting to the site, I always get the error message.
>>>
>>> Jo-Anne

0
Daave
3/19/2010 1:53:34 PM
"Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
> "Robert Aldwinckle" <robald@techemail.com> wrote in message
>>

>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message

>>> Any idea how I can get to this site? It's
>>>
>>> http://lightoptions.net/
>>

>> You can't always abbreviate hostnames any way you want.
>> E.g.  a  BING search with  lightoptions  shows two possibilities.
>> Do the search and figure out which one you want.

> I'm afraid I don't understand. The company's website is
> www.lightoptions.net

Then what you should have given us, instead of the thing that I responded to
above is

http://www.lightoptions.net/e/index.asp

as that's what  BING  found and what worked fine for me.

> . The other lightoptions I found with a search is a .com--and that's not
> the right one. I didn't abbreviate the host name at all...

Look above, again.

> In fact, the first time I tried to get to the site, I did it at Google,
> after finding it with a search. I just clicked on the link--and got the
> error message. No matter how I try getting to the site, I always get the
> error message.

Google is not BING.

HTH

Robert
---

0
Robert

> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>> "Robert Aldwinckle" <robald@techemail.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message

>>> You can't always abbreviate hostnames any way you want.
>>> E.g.  a  BING search with  lightoptions  shows two possibilities.
>>> Do the search and figure out which one you want.
>
>> I'm afraid I don't understand. The company's website is
>> www.lightoptions.net
>

> Then what you should have given us, instead of the thing that I responded
> to above is
>
> http://www.lightoptions.net/e/index.asp
>
> as that's what  BING  found and what worked fine for me.
>

>> . The other lightoptions I found with a search is a .com--and that's not
>> the right one. I didn't abbreviate the host name at all...
>

> Look above, again.
>

>> In fact, the first time I tried to get to the site, I did it at Google,
>> after finding it with a search. I just clicked on the link--and got the
>> error message. No matter how I try getting to the site, I always get the
>> error message.
>

> Google is not BING.
>

> HTH
>
> Robert
> ---

Fraid not, Robert. I've tried every which way to get there and simply
cannot. I clicked on your link and still got "cannot display web page." The
company itself says its website is www.lightoptions.net , and I've typed
that address as well--not as a search but as an address. Nothing works to
date. I suppose I should install Firefox to see if that works. I gather from
other posts here that some computers have been able to get to the page and
others haven't.

Jo-Anne

0
Jo
3/19/2010 4:36:35 PM
Hi, Daave,

It appears to be up for some computers and not for others. Mine still won't
show it.

Jo-Anne

"Daave" <daave@example.com> wrote in message
> As of this moment (March 19, 1353 UTC or 9:53 AM EDT), the site is up.
>
> Jo-Anne wrote:
>> Good point, Robin. I was able to see the cached copy too--but
>> couldn't get anywhere from it; no matter what link I clicked on in
>> the cached copy, I got the same error message. I'll definitely give
>> them a heads-up.
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Jo-Anne
>>
>> "Robin" <greetings@html.com> wrote in message
>>> Using Google I can view a "cached" copy of the webpage from March 11.
>>> They must be having problems with their webpage and not realize it.
>>>
>>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message

0
Jo
3/19/2010 4:38:16 PM
> "Robert Aldwinckle" <robald@techemail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> "Robert Aldwinckle" <robald@techemail.com> wrote in message

>>> I'm afraid I don't understand. The company's website is
>>> www.lightoptions.net
>>

>> Then what you should have given us, instead of the thing that I responded
>> to above is
>>
>> http://www.lightoptions.net/e/index.asp
>>
>> as that's what  BING  found and what worked fine for me.
>>

>>> . The other lightoptions I found with a search is a .com--and that's not
>>> the right one. I didn't abbreviate the host name at all...
>>

>> Look above, again.
>>

>>> In fact, the first time I tried to get to the site, I did it at Google,
>>> after finding it with a search. I just clicked on the link--and got the
>>> error message. No matter how I try getting to the site, I always get the
>>> error message.
>>

>> Google is not BING.
>>

>> HTH
>>
>> Robert
>> ---
>
> Fraid not, Robert. I've tried every which way to get there and simply
> cannot. I clicked on your link and still got "cannot display web page."
> The company itself says its website is www.lightoptions.net , and I've
> typed that address as well--not as a search but as an address. Nothing
> works to date. I suppose I should install Firefox to see if that works. I
> gather from other posts here that some computers have been able to get to
> the page and others haven't.
>
> Jo-Anne

It took me quite a while before it started working - it looks like there's a
DNS issue, I kept getting DNS failures from my DNS servers for the first few
minutes and then it managed to get a response from the authoritative server.
There are two DNS servers listed, but they both have the same IP address -
they should really have different IPs for the servers to handle busy loads.

You'll just have to keep trying, it'll work eventually. You might want to
let the site owners know that the DNS could be the source of the problem.

--
Dan

0
Dan
3/19/2010 5:14:32 PM
Try closing IE, emptying your browser cache, and restarting IE.

Also try using another browser.

Jo-Anne wrote:
> Hi, Daave,
>
> It appears to be up for some computers and not for others. Mine still
> won't show it.
>
> Jo-Anne
>
> "Daave" <daave@example.com> wrote in message
>> As of this moment (March 19, 1353 UTC or 9:53 AM EDT), the site is
>> up. Jo-Anne wrote:
>>> Good point, Robin. I was able to see the cached copy too--but
>>> couldn't get anywhere from it; no matter what link I clicked on in
>>> the cached copy, I got the same error message. I'll definitely give
>>> them a heads-up.
>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> Jo-Anne
>>>
>>> "Robin" <greetings@html.com> wrote in message

0
Daave
3/19/2010 5:18:14 PM
Dan wrote:
> It took me quite a while before it started working - it looks like
> there's a DNS issue, I kept getting DNS failures from my DNS servers
> for the first few minutes and then it managed to get a response from
> the authoritative server. There are two DNS servers listed, but they
> both have the same IP address - they should really have different IPs
> for the servers to handle busy loads.
> You'll just have to keep trying, it'll work eventually. You might
> want to let the site owners know that the DNS could be the source of
> the problem.

I think Dan is right. IP address should be http://66.29.206.232/ , but
that doesn't work!

0
Daave
3/19/2010 5:26:19 PM
Hi, again, Rob,

Before I respond to your questions, here's something interesting that I
forgot about until I tried just now to get to the website from my third
computer.

On computer 1, I got the web address for the company by doing a Google
search.

On computers 2 and 3, I didn't do a Google search but simply typed the
company's web address at the IE address bar. On both of those computers, the
first time I typed the web address at the address bar, I got taken to the
Google search page for that company rather than to the company's web
address.

Here's the page I was taken to on computers 2 and 3 the first time I typed
www.lightoptions.net at the address bar (but not after the first time):

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=ie7&q=lightoptions.net&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7TSNB_enUS357US357

Any idea of why that happened?

Now on to your questions:

> Is Google your homepage in IE8? Do you have "Include updated website lists
> from Microsoft" checked on the Tools>Compatibility View Settings?

Google isn't my homepage on any of my computers.

> I actually get directed to http://www.lightoptions.net/e/index.asp when I
> copy and paste www.lightoptions.net. in the IE Address bar.

I don't get directed there when I do the same. I clicked on your link, and
it showed up in the address bar but got me the same error message as before.

> So they have changed the location of their homepage recently and the
> Google search results were using an old link. Search Spiders crawl web
> sites and index links and pages and meta data from web sites according to
> instructions in robots.txt.
>
> They need to go to Google site owners site and get the Google spiders to
> re-index their site each time they change the home page...
>
> Actually I just checked... they do not have a robots.txt file. The link
> you clicked on was probably a paid google adsence link. Tell them to visit
> the Google Site Owners site and to add a robots.txt file to their site and
> have the Google spiders index their site. They should get more information
> about how to maximize their Google ads from the G site owners site.

But it doesn't matter if I click on the Google link or hand-type the address
(either the old or the new) at the address bar. I still can't reach the
website.

> Their web page has some errors on it which may cause it not to display in
> some modern standards compliant web browsers. I charge too much to bother
> them with what should be changed. They probably outsource the programming
> for their site anyway.
>
> Perhaps thats why they recently changed their homepage. The programmers
> are trying to fix things.<sigh> fix or f it.
>
> MS also charges for business support, so I guess they will be on their
> own.
>
> Your not programming it are you? Keeping quiet out of embarrassment?
>
> http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=35769

Nope, I'm not the programmer. When I called the company yesterday to tell
them what was happening, the woman who answered said: "Oh, I'll have to
contact our programmer; someone else reported this too." Unfortunately, she
then decided she didn't need to contact the programmer because she and her
colleagues at the store could get to the website there.

Anything else I can do before contacting the store again?

Thank you VERY much!

Jo-Anne

> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Hi, again, Rob,
>>
>> I unchecked the Google Toolbar shortly after I bought the computer.
>> However, at your suggestion, I started IE with no addons--and still no
>> luck getting to that website. As Robin suggested, I clicked on the cached
>> version of the main webpage at the Google.com search results and got it
>> (minus a lot of material on the page) as of March 11.
>>
>> My connection is DSL and quite fast, I think.
>>
>> If I want to contact the company, what should I say about what might be
>> causing the problem? (It's interesting that Bruce couldn't get to the
>> site and Robin could see only the cached page--same as I could.)
>>
>> Thank you again!
>>
>> Jo-Anne
>>

>> "rob^_^" <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Jo-Anne,
>>>
>>> Do you have the Google Toolbar enabled/Visible?
>>>
>>> Try to rule out Google and other IE Addons by starting IE in no Addons
>>> mode.
>>>
>>> Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Internet Explorer (no Addons)
>>>

>>> I can get there no problems. They are US based so timeouts should not be
>>> the issue even if you have dialup. Apart from the html errors in their
>>> page there are no links to other sites and even placing the site in the
>>> Restricted zone does nothing.
>>>
>>> If no Addons mode works it may be one of your settings for the Google
>>> Toolbar (Quality control)... Click the Spanner options button on the
>>> toolbar you will see the options that are not compatible with IE8
>>> clearly marked. Uncheck them or disable/hide the GTB.
>>>
>>> Your version of the GTB is compatible with IE8. Just some of the options
>>> aren't.
>>>
>>> Regards.
>>>
>>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message

0
Jo
3/19/2010 5:35:10 PM
I did empty the browser cache without any effect. I guess I'll have to
download Firefox and see what happens.

> Try closing IE, emptying your browser cache, and restarting IE.
>
> Also try using another browser.
>
> Jo-Anne wrote:
>> Hi, Daave,
>>
>> It appears to be up for some computers and not for others. Mine still
>> won't show it.
>>
>> Jo-Anne
>>
>> "Daave" <daave@example.com> wrote in message
>>> As of this moment (March 19, 1353 UTC or 9:53 AM EDT), the site is

0
Jo
3/19/2010 5:37:07 PM
"Dan" <news@worldofspack.com> wrote in message

> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>> "Robert Aldwinckle" <robald@techemail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message

>>> Then what you should have given us, instead of the thing that I
>>> responded to above is
>>>
>>> http://www.lightoptions.net/e/index.asp
>>>
>>> as that's what  BING  found and what worked fine for me.

>>> Look above, again.

>>> Google is not BING.
>>>

>>> HTH
>>>
>>> Robert
>>> ---
>>
>> Fraid not, Robert. I've tried every which way to get there and simply
>> cannot. I clicked on your link and still got "cannot display web page."
>> The company itself says its website is www.lightoptions.net , and I've
>> typed that address as well--not as a search but as an address. Nothing
>> works to date. I suppose I should install Firefox to see if that works. I
>> gather from other posts here that some computers have been able to get to
>> the page and others haven't.
>>
>> Jo-Anne
>>

> It took me quite a while before it started working - it looks like there's
> a DNS issue, I kept getting DNS failures from my DNS servers for the first
> few minutes and then it managed to get a response from the authoritative
> server. There are two DNS servers listed, but they both have the same IP
> address - they should really have different IPs for the servers to handle
> busy loads.
>
> You'll just have to keep trying, it'll work eventually. You might want to
> let the site owners know that the DNS could be the source of the problem.
>
> --
> Dan

Thank you, Dan! I'll definitely tell the company.

Jo-Anne

0
Jo
3/19/2010 5:38:27 PM
> Dan wrote:
>> It took me quite a while before it started working - it looks like
>> there's a DNS issue, I kept getting DNS failures from my DNS servers
>> for the first few minutes and then it managed to get a response from
>> the authoritative server. There are two DNS servers listed, but they
>> both have the same IP address - they should really have different IPs
>> for the servers to handle busy loads.
>> You'll just have to keep trying, it'll work eventually. You might
>> want to let the site owners know that the DNS could be the source of
>> the problem.
>
> I think Dan is right. IP address should be http://66.29.206.232/ , but
> that doesn't work!

Thank you, Dave! I'll see if I can make the company understand. Maybe I
should try emailing webmaster@lightoptions.net ?

Jo-Anne

0
Jo
3/19/2010 5:39:18 PM
While on the subject of non-displaying pages I am using XP-pro fully patched
and current IE but get a blank white screen when I go to one MS site, all
other sites work normal. Strange.
as found searching on MS site for   bott_03
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03july14.mspx

"Bruce Hagen" <BRH@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> It doesn't display for me, both on my Win7 machine with IE8 or my XP with
> IE7. It's them, not you.
> --
>           Bruce Hagen
>         MS-MVP  [Mail]
>      Imperial Beach, CA
>

> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>> I'm using WinXP and IE7 on one computer and WinXP and IE8 on another.
>> Both are fully updated--the OS and Flash and Java.
>>
>> Neither computer has been able to display one website. It's for a light
>> fixture store; and when I phoned the store today, the people who work
>> there said they use WinXP and IE and the site displays just fine
>> (although someone else told them last week that the web page couldn't be
>> displayed).
>>
>> Any idea how I can get to this site? It's
>>
>> http://lightoptions.net/
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Jo-Anne

0
shakey
3/19/2010 5:58:24 PM
Thread hijack!

shakey wrote:
> While on the subject of non-displaying pages I am using XP-pro fully
> patched
> and current IE but get a blank white screen when I go to one MS site, all
> other sites work normal. Strange.
> as found searching on MS site for   bott_03
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03july14.mspx
>

> "Bruce Hagen" <BRH@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> It doesn't display for me, both on my Win7 machine with IE8 or my XP with
>> IE7. It's them, not you.
>> --
>>           Bruce Hagen
>>         MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>      Imperial Beach, CA
>>

>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm using WinXP and IE7 on one computer and WinXP and IE8 on another.
>>> Both are fully updated--the OS and Flash and Java.
>>>
>>> Neither computer has been able to display one website. It's for a light
>>> fixture store; and when I phoned the store today, the people who work
>>> there said they use WinXP and IE and the site displays just fine
>>> (although someone else told them last week that the web page couldn't be
>>> displayed).
>>>
>>> Any idea how I can get to this site? It's
>>>
>>> http://lightoptions.net/
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> Jo-Anne

0
PA
3/19/2010 7:26:27 PM
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 12:39:18 -0500, "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com>
wrote:

>> I think Dan is right. IP address should be http://66.29.206.232/ , but
>> that doesn't work!
>>
>Thank you, Dave! I'll see if I can make the company understand. Maybe I
>should try emailing webmaster@lightoptions.net ?
>
>Jo-Anne

First, the failure on the IP address is not significant. If they are
on a typical shared server then it needs the hostname in the URL to
find a web site. That's likely why it give a "bad hostname" error.

Second, the answers here are the shotgun approach. Let's try a
procedural method:

1. Go to a machine that CANNOT get there. Start a command prompt and
type the following:

	c:> nslookup www.lightoptions.net

Cut and paste the results and post here.

2. To save some posting time, try this too (item #1's results above
might eliminate the need to do it, but this way we can save a posting
cycle here). At the same command prompt, type:

	c:> tracert www.lightoptions.net

Cut and paste the results and post here.

There are more diagnostics, but this will give us a clue where the
problem lies (or doesn't, it's a process of elimination).

0
Bob
3/19/2010 7:42:45 PM
Hi Jo-Anne,

http://www.hosting.com/support/info/flushdns/

How do I flush a computer's DNS cache?The following article explains how to
flush a computer's DNS cache. Flushing the cache removes all the information
stored in cache, forcing the computer to ...
www.hosting.com/support/info/flushdns/

Google and other SP's do not really "Search the web". Their spiders do (and
at irregular) intervals, depending on robots.txt settings.

There are a number of backbone dns servers on the internet and your computer
maintains a small list of frequently  used IPP addresses to speed things up.
Flushing your dns cache forces your pc to go directly to the backbone dns
servers.

Regards.

> [...]
> her colleagues at the store could get to the website there.
>
> Anything else I can do before contacting the store again?
>
> Thank you VERY much!
>
> Jo-Anne
>

>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi, again, Rob,
>>>
>>> I unchecked the Google Toolbar shortly after I bought the computer.
>>> However, at your suggestion, I started IE with no addons--and still no
>>> luck getting to that website. As Robin suggested, I clicked on the
>>> cached version of the main webpage at the Google.com search results and
>>> got it (minus a lot of material on the page) as of March 11.
>>>
>>> My connection is DSL and quite fast, I think.
>>>
>>> If I want to contact the company, what should I say about what might be
>>> causing the problem? (It's interesting that Bruce couldn't get to the
>>> site and Robin could see only the cached page--same as I could.)

0
rob
3/19/2010 7:47:23 PM
Was not intended as such. Fits subject of "IE cannot display web page" with
a example.

> Thread hijack!
>
> shakey wrote:
>> While on the subject of non-displaying pages I am using XP-pro fully
>> patched
>> and current IE but get a blank white screen when I go to one MS site, all
>> other sites work normal. Strange.
>> as found searching on MS site for   bott_03
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03july14.mspx
>>

>> "Bruce Hagen" <BRH@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>>> It doesn't display for me, both on my Win7 machine with IE8 or my XP
>>> with
>>> IE7. It's them, not you.
>>> --
>>>           Bruce Hagen
>>>         MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>>      Imperial Beach, CA
>>>

>>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message

0
shakey
3/19/2010 10:04:59 PM
Didn't work, Rob. I did successfully flush the DNS cache, but I still
couldn't get to the website. On this computer, I got the error message. On
another one, I got to Google. I'll try Bob's suggestion next.

Thank you for continuing with this!

Jo-Anne

> [...]
>>> are trying to fix things.<sigh> fix or f it.
>>>
>>> MS also charges for business support, so I guess they will be on their
>>> own.
>>>
>>> Your not programming it are you? Keeping quiet out of embarrassment?
>>>
>>> http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=35769
>>

>> Nope, I'm not the programmer. When I called the company yesterday to tell
>> them what was happening, the woman who answered said: "Oh, I'll have to
>> contact our programmer; someone else reported this too." Unfortunately,
>> she then decided she didn't need to contact the programmer because she
>> and her colleagues at the store could get to the website there.
>>
>> Anything else I can do before contacting the store again?
>>
>> Thank you VERY much!
>>
>> Jo-Anne
>>

>>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message

0
Jo
3/19/2010 11:18:49 PM
"+Bob+" <nomailplease@example.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 12:39:18 -0500, "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com>
> wrote:
>

>>> I think Dan is right. IP address should be http://66.29.206.232/ , but
>>> that doesn't work!
>>>
>>Thank you, Dave! I'll see if I can make the company understand. Maybe I
>>should try emailing webmaster@lightoptions.net ?
>>
>>Jo-Anne
>
> First, the failure on the IP address is not significant. If they are
> on a typical shared server then it needs the hostname in the URL to
> find a web site. That's likely why it give a "bad hostname" error.
>
> Second, the answers here are the shotgun approach. Let's try a
> procedural method:
>
> 1. Go to a machine that CANNOT get there. Start a command prompt and
> type the following:
>
> c:> nslookup www.lightoptions.net
>
> Cut and paste the results and post here.
>
> 2. To save some posting time, try this too (item #1's results above
> might eliminate the need to do it, but this way we can save a posting
> cycle here). At the same command prompt, type:
>
> c:> tracert www.lightoptions.net
>
> Cut and paste the results and post here.
>
> There are more diagnostics, but this will give us a clue where the
> problem lies (or doesn't, it's a process of elimination).

Thank you, Bob! I did what you said. I forgot how to copy and paste material
with DOS commands, so I've just typed it over.

1. With nslookup, I got the following:
*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.0.1: Non-existent domain
*** Default servers are not available
Server: Unknown
Address: 192.168.0.1

DNS request timed out.
          timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
         timeout was 2 seconds
*** Request to UnKnown timed-out

2. With tracert, I got the following:
Unable to resolve target system name www.lightoptions.net.

Thank you again for your help!

Jo-Anne

0
Jo
3/19/2010 11:36:29 PM
My firefox won't open it either.

>I did empty the browser cache without any effect. I guess I'll have to
>download Firefox and see what happens.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Jo-Anne
>
> "Daave" <daave@example.com> wrote in message
>> Try closing IE, emptying your browser cache, and restarting IE.
>>
>> Also try using another browser.
>>
>> Jo-Anne wrote:
>>> Hi, Daave,
>>>
>>> It appears to be up for some computers and not for others. Mine still
>>> won't show it.
>>>
>>> Jo-Anne
>>>
>>> "Daave" <daave@example.com> wrote in message

0
Robin
3/20/2010 12:49:31 AM
Good to hear, Robin. That means I don't have to try it.

> My firefox won't open it either.
>
> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>>I did empty the browser cache without any effect. I guess I'll have to
>>download Firefox and see what happens.
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Jo-Anne
>>
>> "Daave" <daave@example.com> wrote in message
>>> Try closing IE, emptying your browser cache, and restarting IE.
>>>
>>> Also try using another browser.

0
Jo
3/20/2010 2:22:23 AM
Hi,

They may have also changed hosting providers. Getting their dns records
updated around the globe takes time. I can access them from the IE Address
bar and from the Google search results you provided with no problems from
here in Australia. A WhoIs places their servers in Louisiana USA, (but that
does not mean much in this age of cloud services).

You could be living right next do to the web farm, but the dns routing may
send you around the globe several times. One old dns record would lead your
requests to a dead end. It should be Friday night there.
I would bet that if you try again on Tuesday (your time) it may be fixed.
Luckily it requires human intervention to press the buttons to update the
dns records, but unfortunately this does not occur instantaneously. Just a
moment....

Yes they have changed their hosting... their old domain records say
Louisiana, but a tracert from here times out at server in Taiwan. I must be
seeing some cached versions here myself. (smoke and mirrors and clouds).
Maybe the Mandarin>>unicode translation of lightoptions is "glorious
heavenly light" or something that is already taken. (Domain names in
different languages was introduced at the beginning of this year).

Regards.

> [...]
>>>
>>> Now on to your questions:

>>> Google isn't my homepage on any of my computers.

>>> I don't get directed there when I do the same. I clicked on your link,
>>> and it showed up in the address bar but got me the same error message as
>>> before.

>>> But it doesn't matter if I click on the Google link or hand-type the
>>> address (either the old or the new) at the address bar. I still can't
>>> reach the website.

>>> Nope, I'm not the programmer. When I called the company yesterday to
>>> tell them what was happening, the woman who answered said: "Oh, I'll
>>> have to contact our programmer; someone else reported this too."
>>> Unfortunately, she then decided she didn't need to contact the
>>> programmer because she and her colleagues at the store could get to the
>>> website there.
>>>
>>> Anything else I can do before contacting the store again?

0
rob
3/20/2010 2:43:01 AM
Love it, Rob! The store is in Illinois. Taiwan? How strange...

Here's hoping it's fixed soon.

Jo-Anne

> Hi,
>
> They may have also changed hosting providers. Getting their dns records
> updated around the globe takes time. I can access them from the IE Address
> bar and from the Google search results you provided with no problems from
> here in Australia. A WhoIs places their servers in Louisiana USA, (but
> that does not mean much in this age of cloud services).
>
> You could be living right next do to the web farm, but the dns routing may
> send you around the globe several times. One old dns record would lead
> your requests to a dead end. It should be Friday night there.
> I would bet that if you try again on Tuesday (your time) it may be fixed.
> Luckily it requires human intervention to press the buttons to update the
> dns records, but unfortunately this does not occur instantaneously. Just a
> moment....
>
> Yes they have changed their hosting... their old domain records say
> Louisiana, but a tracert from here times out at server in Taiwan. I must
> be seeing some cached versions here myself. (smoke and mirrors and
> clouds). Maybe the Mandarin>>unicode translation of lightoptions is
> "glorious heavenly light" or something that is already taken. (Domain
> names in different languages was introduced at the beginning of this
> year).
>
> Regards.
>
> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Didn't work, Rob. I did successfully flush the DNS cache, but I still
>> couldn't get to the website. On this computer, I got the error message.
>> On another one, I got to Google. I'll try Bob's suggestion next.
>>
>> Thank you for continuing with this!
>>
>> Jo-Anne
>>
>> "rob^_^" <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Jo-Anne,
>>>
>>> http://www.hosting.com/support/info/flushdns/
>>>
>>> How do I flush a computer's DNS cache?The following article explains how
>>> to flush a computer's DNS cache. Flushing the cache removes all the
>>> information stored in cache, forcing the computer to ...
>>> www.hosting.com/support/info/flushdns/
>>>
>>> Google and other SP's do not really "Search the web". Their spiders do
>>> (and at irregular) intervals, depending on robots.txt settings.
>>>
>>> There are a number of backbone dns servers on the internet and your
>>> computer maintains a small list of frequently  used IPP addresses to
>>> speed things up. Flushing your dns cache forces your pc to go directly
>>> to the backbone dns servers.
>>>
>>> Regards.
>>>
>>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message

0
Jo
3/20/2010 2:51:21 AM
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 18:36:29 -0500, "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com>
wrote:

>1. With nslookup, I got the following:
>*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.0.1: Non-existent domain
>*** Default servers are not available
>Server: Unknown
>Address: 192.168.0.1
>
>DNS request timed out.
>          timeout was 2 seconds.
>DNS request timed out.
>         timeout was 2 seconds
>*** Request to UnKnown timed-out
>
>2. With tracert, I got the following:
>Unable to resolve target system name www.lightoptions.net.
>
>Thank you again for your help!
>
>Jo-Anne

Jo-Anne:

I think you have a configuration and/or network problem on the system
in question. The results under item #1 above indicate that your
computer is going to your router as the first DNS hop but that you
can't get any DNS information from it (or can't even get to the
router). Likewise the #2 result tells me you can't look up the name in
DNS either.

Please try this: try to go to a web site you've never been to. I'll
suggest http://www.example.com. Let me know what happens when you try
that.

Also try this in a command window:

c:> nslookup lightoptions.net 216.69.164.196

Post the results again. FYI - to copy and paste from a command window,
select with your mouse, then when the text you want is highlighted,
press enter. You should then be able to paste that in windows with a
right click -> Paste.

0
Bob
3/20/2010 4:40:52 AM
> On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 18:36:29 -0500, "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com>
> wrote:
>
>>1. With nslookup, I got the following:
>>*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.0.1: Non-existent domain
>>*** Default servers are not available
>>Server: Unknown
>>Address: 192.168.0.1
>>
>>DNS request timed out.
>>          timeout was 2 seconds.
>>DNS request timed out.
>>         timeout was 2 seconds
>>*** Request to UnKnown timed-out
>>
>>2. With tracert, I got the following:
>>Unable to resolve target system name www.lightoptions.net.
>>
>>Thank you again for your help!
>>
>>Jo-Anne
>
> Jo-Anne:
>
> I think you have a configuration and/or network problem on the system
> in question. The results under item #1 above indicate that your
> computer is going to your router as the first DNS hop but that you
> can't get any DNS information from it (or can't even get to the
> router). Likewise the #2 result tells me you can't look up the name in
> DNS either.
>
> Please try this: try to go to a web site you've never been to. I'll
> suggest http://www.example.com. Let me know what happens when you try
> that.
>
> Also try this in a command window:
>
> c:> nslookup lightoptions.net 216.69.164.196
>
> Post the results again. FYI - to copy and paste from a command window,
> select with your mouse, then when the text you want is highlighted,
> press enter. You should then be able to paste that in windows with a
> right click -> Paste.

Here we go...

1. I went to www.example.com and got the following:
You have reached this web page by typing "example.com", "example.net", or
"example.org" into your web browser.
These domain names are reserved for use in documentation and are not
available for registration. See RFC 2606, Section 3.

2. With the command nslookup, I got this:
Server:  Illuminationsbydesign.net
Address:  216.69.164.196

Name:  lightoptions.net
Address:  66.29.206.232

3. I couldn't highlight anything in the Command Prompt screen with the
mouse, so I typed the above material here.

Thank you, Bob, for your continuing help!

Jo-Anne

0
Jo
3/20/2010 5:57:30 AM
Jo-Anne wrote:
> 2. With the command nslookup, I got this:
> Server:  Illuminationsbydesign.net
> Address:  216.69.164.196

Same as:
http://www.plaza-lighting.com/e/index.asp

The plot thickens. :-)

0
Daave
3/20/2010 11:18:39 AM

> 3. I couldn't highlight anything in the Command Prompt screen with the
> mouse, so I typed the above material here.

There are two ways to do that, use the keyboard or use the mouse.  Both
require you to activate the Mark command in the Edit menu first.   So,
right-click, Mark or  Alt-Space,Edit,Mark.

Is that enough of a hint?   ; )

HTH

Robert
---

0
Robert

> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>
>> 3. I couldn't highlight anything in the Command Prompt screen with the
>> mouse, so I typed the above material here.
>

> There are two ways to do that, use the keyboard or use the mouse.  Both
> require you to activate the Mark command in the Edit menu first.   So,
> right-click, Mark or  Alt-Space,Edit,Mark.
>
> Is that enough of a hint?   ; )
>

> HTH
>
> Robert
> ---

Thank you, Robert! I was sure there must be a way, but I had no idea what it
was. The mouse worked fine after Mark.

Jo-Anne

0
Jo
3/20/2010 4:23:25 PM
Indeed it does, Daave! (Sorry I misspelled your name in the last post.)

> Jo-Anne wrote:
>> 2. With the command nslookup, I got this:
>> Server:  Illuminationsbydesign.net
>> Address:  216.69.164.196
>
> Same as:
> http://www.plaza-lighting.com/e/index.asp
>
> The plot thickens. :-)

0
Jo
3/20/2010 4:24:48 PM
I can open it if I use an anonymous proxy such as http://freesurfproxy.org
Maybe some of the computer whizes can explain that?
"Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
> I'm using WinXP and IE7 on one computer and WinXP and IE8 on another. Both
> are fully updated--the OS and Flash and Java.
>
> Neither computer has been able to display one website. It's for a light
> fixture store; and when I phoned the store today, the people who work
> there said they use WinXP and IE and the site displays just fine (although
> someone else told them last week that the web page couldn't be displayed).
>
> Any idea how I can get to this site? It's
>
> http://lightoptions.net/
>
> Thank you!
>
> Jo-Anne

0
Robin
3/21/2010 4:12:00 PM
DNS - when you use that proxy it's not your PC requesting a DNS lookup to
whatever server is assigned in your DNS settings, and so on up the chain,
it's the proxy that's requesting the IP address via DNS. If the address
happens to be cached by one of it's upstream DNS servers then it doesn't
matter if the authoritative servers for the domain are down as the proxy
will get the IP address from a cached entry, whereas if none of the DNS
servers between your PC and the authoritative have a cached entry for the
hostname then it'll fail if the authoritative DNS servers don't answer.

Dan

> I can open it if I use an anonymous proxy such as http://freesurfproxy.org
> Maybe some of the computer whizes can explain that?

> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>> I'm using WinXP and IE7 on one computer and WinXP and IE8 on another.
>> Both are fully updated--the OS and Flash and Java.
>>
>> Neither computer has been able to display one website. It's for a light
>> fixture store; and when I phoned the store today, the people who work
>> there said they use WinXP and IE and the site displays just fine
>> (although someone else told them last week that the web page couldn't be
>> displayed).
>>
>> Any idea how I can get to this site? It's
>>
>> http://lightoptions.net/
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Jo-Anne

0
Dan

CHTMLView and Dynamic Web Page Creation....
All, Thanks everyone so far with all your help! I am creating a MFC executable thats uses the CHtmlView class and I am trying to dynamically create a html page that has a animated gif. When you click on the animated gif it takes you to another web page. My problem is the below code creates the dynamic page and displays it but when I click on the animated gif it refuses to take me to the anchored link. Does anyone have any ideas on why this may be happening? I just discovered if you change the A HREF to point to a external web site, and not a local file, it seems to work fine. Am I just miss...

one line display in Entouragew

Mail Merge Print Page Limit
I have a 1 Page letter and then I merge about 300 Contacts in the letter. When I go to print it to A PDF, I make sure that Entire Docuemt is Selected then Print, And what it does is it ask me to make a file for every 10 pages. so in the end i have 30 PDF file, when All i want is One. has anyone seen this or have any ideals. I have tried to Select To print pages 1-20 and it still creates 2 PDF's I cant Find any Option on this..... Publisher 2002 Create the following entry in the Windows registry at: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0(or whatever version you are in)\Publish...

Display data in the form using the tables
Is it possible to Display data in the form using the tables as the back-end database.if so ,please provide me any examples.... thanks in advance. On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 20:42:01 -0700, Chiki <Chiki@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is it possible to Display data in the form using the tables as the back-end >database.if so ,please provide me any examples.... > >thanks in advance. What do you mean by "using the tables as the back-end database"? Data is always stored in tables. These can be local tables, or can be linked in a backend (which might be a...

+/- signs dont match the display state
I have several large reports where my clients are able to select the initial Collapsed or Expanded state from a parameter. ie initial visibility = iif(parameters!Display.value="H",true,false) This works great, except the "+" or "-" signs do not match the selected state when the report is openned. eg if the report opens with every line visible, (expanded), then the "+" sign is visible. The client can only colapse the group so it should be a "-" sign. If the report opens with only the group heading lines visible(compressed), then th...

how do i get the background fill to fit the A4 page?
Having inserted a background colour onto my page on printing the colour falls short of filling the page. I have tried to adjust the pagr frame measurements but was unable to resolve this. jules wrote: > Having inserted a background colour onto my page on printing the > colour falls short of filling the page. I have tried to adjust the > pagr frame measurements but was unable to resolve this. ===================================== It may be a limitation of your printer. Have a look at the following article: "How to find the maximum print area of your printer" http://ed.mv...

IE 7 shut down everytime I press the "new tab"
IE7 Window XP everytime I press New Tab or Ctrl+right click, all IE windows closed How to solve? Hi, 1. Start Internet Explorer without add-ons by right-clicking the IE icon on the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons. or from Start> Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons) If the problem goes away, you have an incompatible browser add-on installed. For troubleshooting information see: IEBlog Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer´┐Żs (No Add-ons) Mode: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx - - - If unsuccessful with s...

Workbook Page Numbering #2
Any way I can number worksheet pages that reflect the entire workbook? For example, let's say sheet1 has 3 pages and sheet2 has 4 pages... to have each page print "page 1 of 7", "page 2 of 7"... thanks! Andrew Select first sheet then right-click on the sheet tab and "select all sheets". Then in Print check "Entire Workbook" Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 07:10:51 -0700, "Andrew" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Any way I can number worksheet pages that reflect the >entire workbook? For example...

Pivot Page field filter based on cell value
Hi, I am new in VBA and I have created a code that gets information from an access query and set up a pivot table. The worksheet contains multiple pivottables. All pivot tables have at least one page field (product). The worksheet should be copied and then every pivot on the active sheet should be filtered on one product (example: worksheet for milk, worksheet for cheese, worksheet for etc). This for every product (couple op 30-35 products). How can I copy the 'mastersheet' (named ' Master') and filter all pivot tables for a specific Page field product? Hi, Select the pivot ...

postcards, four per page mail merge
I've read all the threads on this, I've tried to solve it myself, but I have the SAME problem lots of others are having. When I merge my address label on the postcard, it prints with ALL four with the SAME address on the page. I've read lots of MVP responses that say the print preview is 'screwed up', and so I was optimisitic that my print would work. It didn't. Is it possible there is someother setting I have 'screwed up'? I NEED to print 800 of these address onto my sheet, 4 per page. I don't want to do labels if I can help it. Thanks for yo...

page frame locking
I think page frame locking is extremely restrictive. Does anyone use any other techniques for record locking. ...

Obvious difficulty with Page numbering which should be a simple fe
I have taken the trouble to review all the related previous posts but do not see the answer to meet my needs. I have a 7 page document which consists of a front and back cover 2 pages each and so far 3 pages of report. Page 2 is followed by a section break next page while page 5 is followed by a section break next page. In addition I also put a section break at the end of the document which I should not need. Numbering starts on page 3 as page 1 of Y which seems to work fine. However, page 4 and 5 do not display page numbers while page 6 displays page 1 of 6 and page 7 i...

Integration with Microsoft Expression Web
I am trying to integrate my POS database with Microsoft Expression Web. I've gotten everything to display except for the photo of the item. Anyone have any ideas on where the images are located and how I can add them to a GridView? On Apr 18, 9:20=A0am, Sheri <Sh...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am trying to integrate my POS database with Microsoft Expression Web. = =A0I've > gotten everything to display except for the photo of the item. =A0Anyone = have > any ideas on where the images are located and how I can add them to a > GridView? Sherri, are you...

failed to write trace from web service
Hi I am using IIS6 on Windows Server 2003. I am trying to write to the trace log via Web Service but fails. System.Diagnostics.Trace.WriteLine("some message"); I am using DebugView to see the traces. The Web Service is the hello world example with the statement above. I have changed the username= attribute in the machine.config file to "System". It does not help. The ASPNET process is running under SYSTEM user. When I am running the same code on other PC with IIS 5 and XP Pro it works OK. When I am running a simple Windows Form application with the same statement every...

ie 8 Problem 06-09-10
I used Asus eee Pc netbook with window7 starter version and now ie 8 is opened for a second and then closed right away. How can I fix that problem? "When you start Internet Explorer 8, it opens and then closes immediately" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967896 --- Leonard Grey Errare humanum est Mr.Myo wrote: > I used Asus eee Pc netbook with window7 starter version and now ie 8 is > opened for a second and then closed right away. How can I fix that problem? ...

Problem using Web services with C#
I want to make use of the routines in the SDK but are experiencing a basic problem. I copied the SDK-dll's form the Server installation CD to C:\inetpub\wwwroot\bin on the CRM server. In a virtual website I placed two files test.aspx and test.aspx.cs. Content test.aspx: <%@ Page src="test.aspx.cs" Language="c#" AutoEventWireup="true" %> Content test.aspx.cs: using Microsoft; using Microsoft.Crm; using Microsoft.Crm.Platform; using Microsoft.Crm.Platform.Proxy; When I enter http://<servername>/<virtual website>/test.aspx in my browser...

The page cannot be found
Exchange 2003, OWA2003. In OWA, some of the emails cannot be view. It shows "The page cannot be found". In Outlook 2003, no problem. ...

Second: Want to capture Event from MS Web browser (shdocvw.dll) 2
Hi all, Thanks for your guidence... >Another way, as shown by Paul Dilaschia might work for you. He >discussed it few years ago in MSDN: >http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/09/c/default.aspx >He simply subclasses the IE window and traps some messages. I suspect >it will do what you are looking for. I have looked that example it was something i was looking for... But .... My primary concern is to display MS Office documents and PDF document. I have tried to load such documents And they were loaded but was getting crashed In d'tor.... ? Another thing that also...

WIN 7 / IE 8
Some websites require IE 8 32bit instead of IE 64bit to run Adobe flash player etc. So I have put a short cut to the IE 32bit on my desktop. I changed the icon on the desktop through properties so that it would appear different from the IE 8 64bit icon in the taskbar. When I run IE 8 32bit, the task bar displays the standard icon instead of the changed icon. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this is some other way? Thanks! "slotplate" <slotplate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C3C0E458-C9BC-4C66-89AE-A6ED8D3FA4FE@microsoft.com... > So...

Web mail page display
How can I change the display screen for my webmail page. Currently I'm using the default page from MS but I want to add the company logon and some security info. Please advice. <joshuaguerrero@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1169734614.419262.34820@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com... > How can I change the display screen for my webmail page. Currently I'm > using the default page from MS but I want to add the company logon and > some security info. > Please advice. These might help: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Customizing-OWA-2003-Forms-Based-Authentication...

how to sort the data display order of multiple chart
i have a .xsl file that include 3 chart in one worksheet. now, i need to sort these 3 chart's data display order from high to low , but it seems hard to implement (because i can sort only one chart's data source ). can you help on this ??:confused: Attachment filename: lga775.xls Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=637635 --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi, Rearrange data vertically and the sorting is much easier. - Asse -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Margins will not mirror on 2-page layout
I am creating a catalog with 2 pages per 8.5 x 11 sheet, landscape orientation. From what I have read, the margins are supposed to be equal on outsides and insides of each page. No matter what I do there remains a 2 mm discrepancy. The text on the right side of the page is shifted 2 mm to the right when compared to the text on the left side of the page. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am using Microsoft Word 2007 on Windows Vista Home Premium if that makes a difference. Are you seeing this on the screen or on printout? If the latter, it will be a result of your ...

Add a User Forum to my Publisher 2003 web page
Does Publisher 2003 offer the feature to add a User Forum to my web page created in Publisher or is this a third party add in. I have seen the forum I want at many sites. For example: http://www.paceship.org/forum/default.asp I want to be able to have users going to different sections similar to posting and asking question the set-up used here at Mircosoft. Again, I may need to get an add on or perhaps even a third party software application. I would prefer something "free" because the site is used for a charity organization and we do not have a lot of funds for web design...

Print Current Page Doesn't Work
We are using Word 2003. When our users try to print current page, the last page of the document prints. The only way to print the current page is to actually type in the page number. How can we fix this? Thanks Do they scroll to the page they want, and put the cursor in it? On May 11, 11:44=A0am, drelias <drel...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > We are using Word 2003. =A0When our users try to print current page, the = last > page of the document prints. =A0The only way to print the current page is= to > actually type in the page number. =A0How can we fix ...

JScript to Calculate the Amount of days and display it in a Field
How can I Calculate the Amount of days and display it in a Field Two date Fields = Arrival Date and Departure date One text Field = total days ( here I want to see the amount of days between Arrival Date and Departure date) Is there a Jcript that can Do This ? Some notes on date/time calculations in JavaScript are here: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/topic.aspx?id=JS3 -- Michael Web: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2 Feed: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/atom.aspx ---------------------------------------------------------- "Rome" <New@news.microsoft.com> schrieb im Ne...