IE Bombs when accessing sites as standard (non-admin) user on Win2

I have a situation where IE is quitting instantly when a user that isn't in
Domain Admins tries accessing any website (internal or external).

Server is 2003 Terminal Services with SP2
Client doesn't appear to matter

Symptoms:

Normal user double-clicks IE which opens, then immediately closes.

This is occurring on 5 out of 8 servers in a TS farm!
I've found that if I set the default home page to "about:blank" IE opens
fine, but as soon as I try to access *any* page at all, it closes instantly.

o No errors that I can see in any of the Event Logs.
o I've created a new *local* user to rule out an errant GPO
o I've checked Local Policy and found nithing to be defined at all
o I've tried moving one of the servers into the "Computers" container to
disable as much Group Policy as possible (temporarily)
o I've reset IE security settings to default to no avail
o I've disabled the Proxy to no avail

Explorer.exe *also* appears to be affected to some extent in that, if I can
get it running from a standard user account, it basically bombs out/locks up.
This tells me there's something related to DLL's etc. not quite right.

Can anyone suggest a way forward?

Regards,

Paul

"PaulK" <PaulK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1BB0B120-B72E-4D22-958A-EAAA508C63E2@microsoft.com...
>I have a situation where IE is quitting instantly when a user that isn't in
> Domain Admins tries accessing any website (internal or external).

So it sounds like a permissions issue.

> Server is 2003 Terminal Services with SP2
> Client doesn't appear to matter
>
> Symptoms:
>
> Normal user double-clicks IE which opens, then immediately closes.
>
> This is occurring on 5 out of 8 servers in a TS farm!
> I've found that if I set the default home page to "about:blank" IE opens
> fine, but as soon as I try to access *any* page at all, it closes instantly.

*Any* page?   Are you sure?  E.g. have you checked to differentiate
between local and remote access?   BTW to see how far it is getting
compared with your Domain Administrators' case you could try running
Fiddler2 and ProcMon.   E.g. would a restricted account be allowed
to use the  dnscache  or otherwise do DNS lookups?   Etc.

> o No errors that I can see in any of the Event Logs.
> o I've created a new *local* user to rule out an errant GPO
> o I've checked Local Policy and found nithing to be defined at all
> o I've tried moving one of the servers into the "Computers" container to
> disable as much Group Policy as possible (temporarily)
> o I've reset IE security settings to default to no avail
> o I've disabled the Proxy to no avail
>
> Explorer.exe *also* appears to be affected to some extent in that, if I can
> get it running from a standard user account, it basically bombs out/locks up.
> This tells me there's something related to DLL's etc. not quite right.
>

> Can anyone suggest a way forward?

I'm not clear on the connectivity involved with a terminal server scenario.
You would probably get a more informed answer from a newsgroup
or forum which specializes in that platform.

Otherwise, could this be another instance of registry hardening
that you might have to subvert to use your server the way you want?

http://www.msfn.org/win2k3/

> Regards,
>
> Paul

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

0
Robert

Outlook 2003, Office 2003 SP1, Now Cannot Access Public Folders
After applying the Office 2003 SP1, we can no longer access public folders. Get error: "Unable to display the folder. Microsoft Office Outlook could not access the specified folder location. The operation failed." We had to uninstall the 2003 Office Suite and reinstall without the SP; then we can access Public Folders again, but the old issues reappear; like the clipart not showing, etc. Any suggestions? Thanks. Brenda Try a new mail profile. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus nam...

MS Access Reports
I have some very complex MS Access Reports (some text, several charts) that I normally export as Snapshot files. Now we are starting to use a 3M overhead monitor (Digital Sinage Portal). It does not handle snp files, it is limited to html, xml, htm, gifs, jpg and some txt files. What is the simplest way to turn my reports into something that this DS Portal can use. I tried exporting them as Access Data Pages, but they can not export the charts. What are the possible solutions? Personally, I would buy a full version of Adobe Acrobat. Print the Report to PDF Load the PDF docs into Acro...

User login failed on the customized VBA project after GP 10 upgrad
After GP 10 upgrade, I am getting the login failed error for all useers who tried on working on my customized Dynamics VBA project. Error # -2147217843: Login failed for user 'sa'. Procedure: frmDateEntry - cmdProcess_Click Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server Thanks for help. Kevin Kevin, You might need to re look at your connection in VBA -- Thanks Janakiram M.P. MCP-GP http://janakirammp.blogspot.com "Kevin Zhou" wrote: > After GP 10 upgrade, I am getting the login failed error for all useers who > tried on working on my customized Dynamic...

Starting Access 2007
I have Office 2007 Enterprise installed and Access used to work, but I now get the message can't find language DLL msain900.dll and the programme refuses to commence. I have tried to use safe mode as it suggests and also to repair the installation. i even tried to reinstall from the original DVD and that failed too. i use access all the time and this is just a great frustration. Can anyone hlep, please Try uninstalling first, and use a registry cleaner if you can find 1 for Windows 7. Here's one that I haven't used but I've heard good things about: http://www.c...

Error Message after exporting MS Access Table
I receive the below error message when I export a table from a Microsoft Access database to the Microsoft Word Merge format: “The data being exported does not match the format described in the Schema. ini file.” Microsoft Access database is in .mdb format. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access/201002/1 The main cause behind the above error message is that when you export the table for the first time, the field names of the table for the Microsoft Word Merge format get saved in the Schema.ini file. A schema.ini (schema i...

Server Error when trying to access System Settings
When I click System Settings under "Organization Settings" in MS CRM 3.0, I get the following response: --- Error An error has occured. For more information, contact your system administrator. The Debug screen shows: Microsoft CRM Unhandled Error Details: Server Error in '/' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about th...

Convert Unix timestamp to Access 2003 data field
I am working with a Remedy HelpDesk system that has an "arrivaltime" field stored as a Unix timestamp that I need to convert to an Access date field to be able to do a report by month (from 1 to 31 Dec for example). Does anyone know an easy way to convert this "arrivaltime" field to an Access date field? nms wrote: >I am working with a Remedy HelpDesk system that has an "arrivaltime" field >stored as a Unix timestamp that I need to convert to an Access date field to >be able to do a report by month (from 1 to 31 Dec for example). Does anyone &g...

Dumb question: Easiest way to move an Access database to a laptop running Officce 97
I need to finish modifying a simple Access database on the move. What's the simplest way to export it to a flash drive so it can be opened in Office 97 in an old laptop? I have office 2003 installed. I'm not using any features that weren't present in Access 97. "SlickRCBD" <slickrcbdnews@gmail.com> wrote in message news:29b62676-3166-451a-835a-358a13e82727@v30g2000yqm.googlegroups.com... >I need to finish modifying a simple Access database on the move. > What's the simplest way to export it to a flash drive so it can be > opened in Office 97...

Accessing outlook pst files from multiple machines
How can I access my pst file from more than one machine simultaneously? I do this at work all the time, why can't I do it at home? pst files can't be access by two or more machines at the same time. (the messaging system opens the files for exclusive use so no other machine can open the file at the same time.) perhaps at work you are using an exchange server and not a personal folders file. "Rob" <rob@lounsbury.net> wrote in message news:147ba01c4450f$1cbb9d20$a601280a@phx.gbl... > How can I access my pst file from more than one machine > simultaneously? I ...

"cannot be accessed" error opening file on network server
With Office Excel 2003, I'm getting the standard "filename.xls' cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only...." message that is listed in article 835234, but I am getting it when I am trying to OPEN the file from a network location. Is there any way to bring up the existing network copy of the file? ...

Excel 2007
Background: The issue is on a Vista system running Office 2007. The user is creating an excel workbook with 5-7 worksheets. The 1st 2 worksheets have 1000 - 6000 records, the rest of the sheets are graphs and charts that are created from those records. In one of the charts she is creating a dot diagram which has 1000-6000 dots plotted on it. Issue: The spreadsheet with the graphs are changing each time the document is closed and reopened (dots are changing locations) and the workbook is constantly becoming non-responsive. Please advise on what could be causing this issue. Thank you. ...

access problem
I store leads on my Phillips CD burner from Windows XP Professional. Normally I have no problems pulling up files from the CD. However following a email program with World Merge, I found that I could not access my Excel Files on the CD. The error message was : "You don't have access to this folder'E:\..See your administrator for access to this folder. I am lost any help out there? Thanks Hal On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 14:45:11 -0700, "Hal Harding" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I store leads on my Phillips CD burner from Windows XP >Professi...

read only access to mailboxes
This has probably been covered before, but I was unsuccessful in searching the newsgroups to find a similar thread. Out HR department needs read only access to another's mailbox to do an investigation. They do not want the user to know that they are in the mailbox or have access to the mailbox. They do not want to be able to do anything but read what is there. How can I grant this kind of access to a mailbox? Thanks - Mike Hello, hm there are a couple of ways, but this is tricky because of the views, too. but in germany they are all forbitten because of politic restrictions. a...

how do i set up paypal to my web site
hi i am using publisher 2003, i have put the web site together but i would like some help in adding a payment to my site i.e paypal. many thanks for your help in advance. You will use the Insert HTML code fragment tool to insert the code provided by PayPal as per their documentation. Here is a Publisher built site that uses PayPal as an example: http://www.makingsenseofeducation.co.uk/index.htm Please post any follow up questions to the web design group, and we will try to help you there: microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign DavidF "starrie" <starrie@discussions.microsof...

Money 2004 Standard installation in XP Pro problem
I have been running Money 2004 standard on my Windows ME machine for about a month I have transfered in several years worth of Quicken data. My son needed Windows XP Pro. I backed up the data files, and then did an upgrade. Money seemed to work OK, but I had problems with other programs. Decide to do a clean install and format to NTFS. Have downloaded the XP updates and service packs. When reloading Money I get a successful completion notice, but when I start the program I get "Unable to initialize a required Money component. Please reinstall Money from orginal product d...

Rename user #3
I renamed a user who had been entered with all lowercase. She wants her name to show up capitalized in the GAL. But the change doesn't seem to pass through to the GAL. I checked in: system manager\recipients\All address lists\all users\. The preview shows the name is capitalized there. ideas? Do I need to rebuild the address book? Is that safe to do? Thanks, Stan are you running Outlook in cached mode? that might account for it not showing up properly...also, did you change it to all caps in the "Display name" field? -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "rockymtn" &...

Management Reporter
One of the staff had me reset their password & they are getting the message that the user is locked out of the system when trying to enter the new password. They are not listed in the User Activity window. Any idea of what needs to be done. We'll get this incident at least once a week Thanks The only other thing I can think of is that we are running thru the VM and 10 minutes after the new password is entered by admin, the user gets in "Merle" wrote: > One of the staff had me reset their password & they are getting the message > that the u...

Column widths get changed when another user opens my files
hello, i save an excel file on a network drive and when another user opens it the width of the columns are all changed. what's going on? How can we get stop this? thanks!!! ...

Exchange / Outlook 2003 Public Folder Shared Calendar
We run an Exchange 2003 server with Outlook 2003 clients (via Citrix), on Windows 2003 Server. I have a bit of an odd problem with a public folder shared calendar I created for one of our offices. I created it in the normal way in Outlook, and applied appropriate permissions to all the users in that group. They can all see the calendar, and although they can add entries to it, they cannot see the appointments added by their colleagues - which pretty much negates the point of having it in the first place. I don't think it is an issue with the free / busy replication, as there is only one se...

Calculations not working on pasted values from Access
I'm using Office 2000 on W2k, and when I copy and paste a column of numbers from MS Access to MS Excel, I am unable to perform a Sum function on the pasted values. The function always returns zero. If I then type in the values directly it does work. Anyone know why? Is this caused by a virus and is there a patch? It is because it is seen as text, try to copy an empty cell, select the imported numbers, do edit>paste special and select add. -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Scott Sullivan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0c0001c3a22c$790cd250...

Common Client User Session
I periodically get a message saying there was a problem with "Common Client User Session" and the program has to close ---- Outlook remains open but there does appear to be a loss of functionality that requires re-booting! What is the cause of this problem? There is no error message number given. ...

import xml into access
Dear all, I have a list of xml documents (same format) in the folder. How can I scan all these files and import them into access table (access 2003) by coding? Please help!!! Do you have similar code for me to take reference? Thanks, On Sep 3, 1:51 pm, "Raymond Chiu" <rchiu...@yahoo.com.hk> wrote: > Dear all, > > I have a list of xml documents (same format) in the folder. > How can I scan all these files and import them into access table (access > 2003) by coding? > Please help!!! > Do you have similar code for me to take reference? > > Thanks,...

Multiple Users #4
My scenerio is - we have 10 warehouse workers that log on to 1 PC with a common logon. I would like to give each of them their own secure mailbox that they can access, without logging out of Windows 2000. I have created accounts for each of the users, as well as profiles on the PC. When the user tries to login, there is a prompt for ID/PW and Domain. After entering the info - an error appears saying that the user does not have permission to access the mailbox. We are using Outlook 2000? Any help would be greatly appreciated. ...

Recommendation for Good Books to Learn Access 2003 and Visual Basic for Applications
I am a experienced mainframe computer programmer but I have no experience with Access or VBA. I need to learn Access 2003 and VBA for a project that I am taking over from a contractor who was fired. I am familiar with relational database concepts and SQL, but again I have very little actual experience using them. I believe the databases involved are already set up and the data dictionary part of the application is already working. I know some java so object oriented programming, concepts, and design patterns are not new to me. I am told that the actual VBA code involves ...

Money 2004 Standard
Hi. I bank with Bank of Montreal and am having trouble figuring out how to get Money to download the info from my bank. BMO says Money can be used. I originally had the US version on my computer so recently bought the Canadian version... but I still couldn't see BMO in the list of banks. Does anyone know how to resolve this? or have you experienced this yourself? In microsoft.public.money, Zippy wrote: >Hi. I bank with Bank of Montreal and am having trouble >figuring out how to get Money to download the info from >my bank. >BMO says Money can be used. >I originall...