IE 8 will not activate "some" links?

New machine with off the shelf Win Pro 7-64 and IE 8-32.
Have let Win7 and IE 8 update themselves.
IE 8 has been working fine 'till about three weeks ago.
Problem;
Will not activate "some" links on web pages.
On this site I could NOT activate the "new question" and am posting this
from another machine nor could I reply to a message. ( and yes I was signed
in ,yes I allowed pop-ups)
I was unable to open several  links on a Microsoft page but I could open
others.
Sometimes when I try to "activate" a link I get a message in the lower left
of the window saying either Done with a yellow triangle and "!" or Yellow
triangle "!" saying "error on page" or it sits and does nothing at all.
Per MS support in India I have reset to original settings and turned off 3rd
party add ons. (My mail to them keeps getting bounced. Great service.)
Any advice from this group?
( I'd like a fix rather than a re-install.)
Thanks
McM

If resetting IE (which includes disabling add-ons) makes the problem go
away, you have to ask yourself: Which of my configuration settings
and/or add-ons are causing the problem?

Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

On 6/30/2010 1:30 PM, Gene wrote:
> New machine with off the shelf Win Pro 7-64 and IE 8-32.
> Have let Win7 and IE 8 update themselves.
> IE 8 has been working fine 'till about three weeks ago.
> Problem;
> Will not activate "some" links on web pages.
> On this site I could NOT activate the "new question" and am posting this
> from another machine nor could I reply to a message. ( and yes I was signed
> in ,yes I allowed pop-ups)
> I was unable to open several  links on a Microsoft page but I could open
> others.
> Sometimes when I try to "activate" a link I get a message in the lower left
> of the window saying either Done with a yellow triangle and "!" or Yellow
> triangle "!" saying "error on page" or it sits and does nothing at all.
> Per MS support in India I have reset to original settings and turned off 3rd
> party add ons. (My mail to them keeps getting bounced. Great service.)
> Any advice from this group?
> ( I'd like a fix rather than a re-install.)
> Thanks
> McM

0
Leonard

Some links to file use drive letter, others network path, it thinks it is a different file!
I have a sheet with a bunch of lookups to another workbook on our server. I noticed one column that would not update with a Calculate. It sees the link as //Server/path etc... Other links will update and are linked to P:/path... When the file is opened P:/ links resolve to just the file name. The //Server ones don't. The only way to update the //Server lookups is to go into each one and edit and Enter to refresh. I am confused. Please help. I went into data links and sure enough, the same file was listed twice, once with drive letter, once with network path. So from there I opened...

Looking for some advice -- replacing IE with custom app
<Background> Our company has been selling a product which relies heavily on the use of Internet Explorer (IE). But, with the many security issues of the last few years, IE is becoming more difficult to work with. We are contemplating replacing our dependency on IE with a new custom application that we would write. All our current code is written in MSVC/MFC, so this new app would also. As we are planning on writing a custom app to replace IE, we are also looking at adding new custom user interface features that were almost impossible in the old version of html pages being disp...

Solution to flags problem outside inbox for me, add-in to somehow activate tasks generated from messages?
This is something I've found that is standard Outlook behaviour (as evidenced here many times), when we set up a rule for a message to be put in the tasks folder, it is put there but not "activated" (or whatever it's called). Is there a freeware add-in or freeware script anyone knows about that will follow-up a rule and make message-generated tasks into _real_ tasks that will then popup? That would be one way to get around the flags outside the inbox. Any help appreciated. See http://www.outlookcode.com/codedetail.aspx?id=3D959 for sample code. = If you need VBA basics, ...

Want to blank some cells when an AutoFilter is active.
I have a budget table that has a Allocated budget amount, Expenses and a remaining balance: Allocated Expenses Remaining Budget Subtotal Balance ----------------------------------------- $500.00 $300.00 $200.00 The Expense Subtotal is a sum of column of values below this header say H30:H100. The Subtotal is of the rows that are visible so say there are two values, $100.00 and $200.00 and $100.00 is hidden by an autofilter. Then Subtotal will become $200.00. If an auto filter is active I want to blank the Remaining Balance field. I have a ...

font sometimes changes appearance in a linked excel file in word
Why does the font (ariel 11 in both) look difference some of the time when I copy, paste special and link a part of an excel 2007 worksheet into a word 2007 file. it says the font is the same but in the excel part is appears on the screen and prints like it stretched out or squshed down. Did you change the size of your Excel file by dragging a handle in the middle of a side? Only change the size by dragging on a corner -- that changes the height and width simultaneously. On Feb 6, 11:42=A0pm, jnine <jn...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Why does the font (ariel...

Navigate to a particular link doesnot display the text sometimes
Have used navigate method of IWebBrowser2 in a property page to display the htm file. Debug prints shows the correct path is given for a link ( eg path for one of the hyper links path is C:/../team_typesENU.htm#aft) inside htm file . Sometimes the contents of the file does not get displayed .Contents are shown only when clicked on the control itself or navigate between the pages. text is hidden. anybody can let me know why is this happening ? ...

Owner draw main windows, will left some drawing on the background of the window, I want the reason and how to prevent this happen? 12-23-09
Hello, every one! Ownerdraw main window , I used SetWindowRgn to cut down the four corners, but there will left something drawing here when you drag the corners and borders to resized the window on the background of the main window. Only 3 corners of the four corners do this. Thanks a lot! begin 666 problem.JPG M_]C_X `02D9)1@`!`0$`8 !@``#_VP!#``@&!@<&!0@'!P<)"0@*#!0-# L+ M#!D2$P\4'1H?'AT:'!P@)"XG("(L(QP<*#<I+# Q-#0T'R<Y/3@R/"XS-#+_ MVP!#`0D)"0P+#!@-#1@R(1PA,C(R,C(R,C(R,C(R,C(R,C(R,C(R,C(R,C(R M,C(R,C(R...

Emails will not send to some domains(Cisco, Earthlink, etc...)
I am getting the following error when I try to send info to some domains. Below is an example of the error I am receiving. The following recipient(s) could not be reached: name@cisco.com on 9/20/2004 9:34 AM You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator. <computer.domain.com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 <name@cisco.com>... Relaying denied> name1@cisco.com on 9/20/2004 9:34 AM You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator. <computer.domain.com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1...

inbox links restricted sometimes and can not use Hyperlink
Sometimes it work and some times it dont i have tried everything i can think of to remedy the problem. Hope someone can help You're getting the "contact administrator" message? Try the suggestions at; http://www.msoutlook.info/question/242 -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "drifter" <drifter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:919D...

is there some per-process-limit on memory in .net processes? is there any way to increase it? i keep getting System.OutOfMemoryException when my box has 8 gigs of unused memory.
is there some per-process-limit on memory in .net processes? is there any way to increase it? i keep getting System.OutOfMemoryException when my box has 8 gigs of unused memory. Did you really have to post this question to so many newsgroups? -- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- John Saunders | MVP - Windows Server System - Connected System Developer ...

awesome.. so now Access 2003 will support SQL 2005?
http://news.com.com/Office+2003+to+get+security+upgrade/2100-7355_3-6179672.html?tag=nefd.top oh that is awesome.. it says that office 2003 will support sql 2005? YAY On Apr 26, 10:36 pm, "aaron.ke...@gmail.com" <aaron.ke...@gmail.com> wrote: > http://news.com.com/Office+2003+to+get+security+upgrade/2100-7355_3-6... i am so excited about this adding support for Microsoft SQL Server 2005 and Microsoft Visual Studio 2005. On Apr 27, 8:37 am, "aaron.ke...@gmail.com" <aaron.ke...@gmail.com> wrote: > oh that is awesome.. it says that office 2003...

In Excel formula to calculate the date someone will hit 65
Using a formula, calculate from birthdate what date a person will turn 65. sgwill wrote: > Using a formula, calculate from birthdate what date a person will turn 65. Sounds like homework to me. I'll give you a hint. Google on "calculate age in Excel" no quotes. gls858 Except for February 29th issues: With the birthdate in A1: =date(year(a1)+65,month(a1),day(a1)) sgwill wrote: > > Using a formula, calculate from birthdate what date a person will turn 65. -- Dave Peterson Perfect, thank you!! "Dave Peterson" wrote: > Except for February 29th i...

first time linking worksheets need some info and help
I'm trying to link 4 cells with dates in them to be inputted into the second sheet for calculation. BUT the info is in a cycle. So basically I need it to link and stay. But when I do the next cycle, I need the info to change. I do have a column that is counting the cycles. So can I make it so it'll link the info until the cycle number changes? (a Formula???) if so how do i put a link and formula together. Also if this is figured out,can you possibly link a cell to two different worksheets within a workbook? Thank You Bryan Bloom Hi, Can you give an example as to what you are...

Can anyone point me to some link to understand basics of templates... #2
Hi, I want to start with templates and if somebody can give me links where i can start with.. I am through with VC++ and other features like ATL even.. but have not used templates anytime.. -- Jigar Mehta ...

=?Utf-8?Q?Can_someone_tell_me_what_=22=C3=A1=22__me?= =?Utf-8?Q?ans?=
I get it when I concantenate cells made of text strings please tell us what is in each cell prior to concatenation -- bob777 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ bob777's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28504 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=497873 Bob the strings are just text "bob777" wrote: > > please tell us what is in each cell prior to concatenation > > > -- > bob777 > -------------------------------------------------------------...

Money 2006 will not show some new transactions
I have several accounts set up from a couple years ago in 2005. Most work fine except one from Citi (credit card). Now that I have upgraded to version 2006, the transactions say they have downloaded, and there is a number of transactions said to need reviewing, but I cannot show them. Other credit card accounts work fine. Any ideas how to make these transactions show in the accounts? Scott In microsoft.public.money, scott mick wrote: >I have several accounts set up from a couple years ago in 2005. Most >work fine except one from Citi (credit card). Now that I have upgraded >...

Some Great Plains 8.0 Functionality Inquiries/Questions
X-No-Archive: yes Here are a few questions for the Great Plains v8 gurus. These come from a Finance head who is an end-user of GP v8: 1) When you look up an invoice or credit note, what cheque was it paid on? (Currently it tells the accountant 5 credit memos paid the invoice - this doesn't help -- this is the way it is set up currently). 2) Why does a credit note HAVE TO BE attached to an invoice? This doesn't need to be attached to an invoice and accountant doesn't want it this way. 3) Accountant wants the capability to have the credit note standalone, same as an invoice...

Activities doesn't appear in My Work section of nav bar for some u
Hello all, We have a few users who don't have the Activities icon (and its text label) in the My Work section of the navigation bar. I don't see where the appearance of icons within sections can be set. In the Personalize Workplace dialog I can see where to remove sections like sales and marketing but not icons within sections. I don't see any columns in systemuserbase or usersettingsbase that seem to cover this either. Anyone out there know where such a setting is or why Activities wouldn't appear? Thanks, Shawn On Jul 1, 9:48=A0am, Shawn Tyler <sty...@nospam.c...

some questions about contact activity in Outlook 2007
Hello, I have several questions about one contact->View->Activities 1)Very often (not always) this list is empty. When I change the selection with "View:" and go back to "View: All elements" I can see the elements. 2)It's there a better way than the search when a contact have more than one email account? When I open the properties from the contact folder and open the Activity tabulator, I can only select folders from the same PST file. 3)When I try to insert a notice or another element with Insert->insert elements this element appears in the "Notice"...

Excel: When printing some cells will not print text in them
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) When I print an Excel 08 spread sheet, two of the cells that have text in them will not print the text in the cell. All the other cells with text prints fine. The text does not even show up on print preview in the print dialogue box. Any suggestions on how to get it to include the text in these two cells? ...

Need SOMETHING that updates a linked spreadsheet automatically
Hello experts, I have two Excel 2000 spreadsheets, S1 and S2. S1 is linked to S2. Bot reside in a Windows 2000 server. When values in S2 are changed and saved, I need SOMETHING (a trigger program, or script, whatever) that automatically updates values in S1 without me having to open S1 and update it myself. Is there a solution to this problem? What could do it? Thanks vey much for your help -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com "kpax >" <<kpax.14fcjn@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote... >I have two Excel 2000 spreadsheets, S1 and S2. S1 is linked to S2. Bo...

Outlook will not download some emails
Hi- I am usig Outlook 2003 and see that the little emvelope icon comes up in the system tray like Norton is scanning an email, but then Outlook doesn't download it and it never shows up in my inbox. If I login to the web based webmail I can see that there are 1 or 2 emails there. Outlook gets all the other mail fine from the same account but it is always a few spam emails that it misses. Does anyone have any suggestions? This is starting to annoy me. Thanks- -Dan Have you checked your Junk Email folder? Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP Author - Special Edition Using Microsoft Office...

Some of my Switchboard Commands will not work
I have a 2003 database that is shared between just a few of us (it is not split into Front/Back) and I have one user who can not access all of the switchboard commands. She is on Windows XP and Access 2003 (same as myself and the others). She can use the Main Switchboard just fine but when selecting any of the items on the secondary switchboards, nothing happens..no errors, no nothing. I have made sure that SP3 for office was installed and all Windows udates as well but have had no luck. Also, the switchboard was created using the built-in Switchboard Manager. Since she is the only...

After installing IE* update KB978207, some web sites problems
After installing the securtiy update KB978207, I can not login at some web sites. Particularily I can not login at www.ezs3.com. When i select the login link, IE just starts flashing....... and that is it. For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB978207). ...

Will online updates expire sometime with my Money 2005?
I've seen this mentioned in other threads but I am not sure how it applies to my situation. I'm running Money 2005 and do on line updates of just one credit card account directly from the web site while running Money (no microsoft passport used, no Yodlee). Will Money stop downloading this at some date in the future? TIA Jim Read the EULA - that will tell you about "cessation of on-line services" (or similar words). If all the rumours are right ALL downloads will be stopped. You will only be allowed to type in data. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For U...