IE 8: W3 and CSS compliant? Standards Mode the default?

Hi;

It has been a while since I've kept up with IE development.

Is IE 8 supposed to be W3 compliant and do CSS in a standard way?

Will it come with a "standards mode" that will let developers toggle
from that or "old IE mode"?

If it comes with a standards mode will that mode be the default?

Thanks

Steve
0
steve

In news:5298517c-eac1-419a-b47a-8ea71b44e0f7@y12g2000vbr.googlegroups.com,
steve <tinker123@gmail.com> typed:
> Hi;
>
> It has been a while since I've kept up with IE development.
>
> Is IE 8 supposed to be W3 compliant and do CSS in a
> standard way?

Yes

> Will it come with a "standards mode" that will let
> developers toggle from that or "old IE mode"?

Yes

> If it comes with a standards mode will that mode be the
> default?

Yes
It still has quirks mode available as before.

> Thanks
>
> Steve

0
Twayne
5/18/2010 3:05:03 PM
"steve" <tinker123@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi;
>
> It has been a while since I've kept up with IE development.
>
> Is IE 8 supposed to be W3 compliant and do CSS in a standard way?
>
> Will it come with a "standards mode" that will let developers toggle
> from that or "old IE mode"?
>
> If it comes with a standards mode will that mode be the default?

Standards mode is the default if the web page has a valid DOCTYPE. If it
doesn't have a DOCTYPE than IE8 will use Quirks Mode instead. It's also
possible to force IE8 into IE7 mode for a site from the client side using
the compatibility mode options, or from the server side (on a per page basis
if you want) using the IE7-Emulate meta tag.

Also, you can press F12 to bring up the Developer Tools and toggle between
IE8 Standards, IE7 Standards, and IE7 Quirks modes from the menu.

--
Dan

0
Dan

Disable print from standard toolbar button
Hi Folks, I have a workbook where I want users to be able to print only from the print controls I have on the worksheets. I have disabled all the print controls using: Private Sub Workbook_Activate() Dim Ctrl As Office.CommandBarControl For Each Ctrl In Application.CommandBars.FindControls(ID:=4) 'print Ctrl.Enabled = False Next Ctrl End Sub However, the print button on the standard toolbar is still active. How do I disable this too? Thanks, Scott ...

Printing problem #8
I frequently print multiple copies of single page Publisher 2000 documents. Some of these files, though limited to a single page, are extremely large including multiple pictures inter-mixed with several blocks of text. Never the less printing usually goes very smoothly one copy printing after another with no pauses. In the case of some Publisher files, however, somewhere during the printing of the second copy the printer pauses for a full 10 seconds then resumes printing, but then identical pauses occur during the printing of each subsequent copy at exactly the same place and for the s...

Public folder default action
When you drag messages between public folders, the default action is "copy". Is there a way I can make that default action "move" instead? ...

How to find default property for particular object.
Hi, is there a way how to identify default property for given object. E.g., I know default property for range object is value. Where can I find the default property for other objects? Thanks Alojz Hi, AFAIK, the only default property for an Excel object is 'value'. If an object doesn't have a value property then it also doesn't have a default property. Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "Alojz" wrote: > Hi, ...

Unable to open your default e-mail folders outlook 2003
I have searched a long time an answer to this and have found many others with similar problems. Brand new machine (happens on all new machines we've tested), Office 2003, trying to connect to an existing Exchange Server 2003, we get the following message: Unable to open your default e-mail folders. You must connect to your Microsoft Exchange Server computer with the current profile before you can synchronize your folders with your offline folder file. On another machine, with Outlook 2000, we it works fine. We created a new test user. Worked fine from machine with Outlook 2000, ...

Is there code to export to standard fixed length text file?
I can do this manually but it's more than a couple clicks. I'd like to automate this from the MDB that I can call from my C# process call or an OLE call. Thanks much! AFAIK the choices are: 1) write code in your C# application that opens a recordset, assembles the fixed-length records and writes them to a text file. 2) use the Jet Text ISAM to write the file, either by automating Access or by writing to the DAO library. Either way you'll need to provide a schema for the text file. The options are an Access import/export specification stored in the mdb file, or a schema.ini f...

Default Colors
How do I chenge the default colors used when charts are created (i.e. the Color Palette)? Tools>Options>Color "Chart Fills" Modify>Custom Tools>Options>Color "Chart Lines" Modify>Custom Gord Dibben Excel MVP - XL97 SR2 & XL2002 On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 16:38:02 -0700, "S.Jonsson" <jonsson@printecsystems.de> wrote: >How do I chenge the default colors used when charts are >created (i.e. the Color Palette)? > ...

Changing default browser
Hello, I'm wondering how to change the default browser so when I click on hyperlinks in Word, Excel, and OneNote they automatically open in Firefox. Is there a way to do this? Currently they all open in IE, which I have on my computer but don't prefer to use. Thanks very much! This would be a question for a Firefox forum, as Office settings have nothing to do with the default browser. However, since I have Firefox.... On the menu, choose: Tools Options Advanced Check "Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser on startup" Also click "...

change default fill color
I have been searching the net and the KB but can not find answer or solution to this problem. I want my excel cell auto fill color to default to light grey instead of yellow. Is this possible? And if so, how do I do it? Thanks for any help you can provide. Shawn You can create a new default template, with grey as the default fill colour: Create a new, blank workbook. Choose Tools>Options On the Colour tab, click on the yellow square Click Modify, select light grey that you want to use as the default, click OK To make yellow available, select the light grey square, and change it t...

Selection Mode Stuck
I've accidentally put Excel (Office 2003, w/latest updates) into a sticky selection mode on this one spreadsheet file and I can't turn it off. I apparently hit a key combo (I think with a mouse click) and now when I open this file and single click on any cell, that cell is selected and the selection extends in both directions as I move the mouse. I can't click on any buttons, or toolbar icons, or do anything to stop this selecting mode. It just goes on and on, autoscrolling to infinity. I eventually have to CTRL-ALT-DEL to kill Excel, just to free up my computer. Any help wou...

How can I print an 11x17 page on a single 8 1/2 x 11 page?
I am using an 11x17 format and printing my pages at a Kinko's on 11/17 paper. What I need is to be able to see what it looks like on a smaller sheet which my printer can handle. Hopefully, there's some method I can use to reduce the 11/17 image to 81/2x11. John W. <John W.@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I am using an 11x17 format and printing my pages at a Kinko's on > 11/17 paper. What I need is to be able to see what it looks like on a > smaller sheet which my printer can handle. Hopefully, there's some > method I can...

Trouble with IE 8 04-11-10
My new laptop was just working perfectly with IE 7 and Vista. Then IE 8 was downloaded automatically. Huge problelm as when I try to sign into Facebook and use Farmville or other apps it just loops to the login and insist that I adjust my cookie settings which I had tried to do numerous times but it doesn't seem to make any difference. The yellow triangle shows up in the bottom left with permission denied on several lines. What the heck does that mean? I'm not a computer techie and don't wanna be either. I just want things to work correctly when they're suppos...

"Update in Progress" for 2 weeks now, 8 different brokerage accts
I have not been able to update ANY of my 8 different brokerage accts with 3 different investment companies (Schwab, Morgan Stanley and TD Ameritrade) since 4/28. They all say "update in progress" at the Account list screen. When I click on "Read Call Summary Messages" and go to "Review Update Results" (Funny how the thing you click on doesn't have the same title as the screen it takes you to . . .) for each of these brokerages (Schwab, Morgan Stanley, & TD Ameritrade) it says: "Your last call was completed on 4/28/2008 at 7:35 PM "Your acco...

put 4 postcards on an 8-1/2 x 11 in landscape
How do I put 4 postcards on an 8-1/2 x 11 in landscape mode? On the old Publisher, I found a setting in Avery that would do it. I'm so confused now. Are there Avery templates in 2007 Publisher and if so, how do I access Avery templates to accomplish this. It's probably really simple but I haven't been able to figre it out. -- Mary Virginia There is a template for Avery postcards, 4 to a sheet. When you are at "Getting Started" enter 3263 in the "search for templates" space. Hit enter. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a qu...

MDA Creating Analysis Defaults
Does anyone have a suggestion on a faster or automated approach to creating Analysis defaults? I have over 2000 GL accounts that I need to assigned one or more Groups IDs to. Amanda, Here goes an idea: 1) Record a GP macro for the first analysis default. 2) Create a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet with the accounts you need to assign -- hint, you can export the accounts with SmartList to Excel 3) Use Microsoft Word to create a mail merge on the macro. Use the Excel spreadsheet as the source for your mail merge. 4) Edit the merged macro to extract special characters and what's not plac...

How to create a default footer for all my spreadsheets?
Using Office XP - I work with Excel every day. I like to insert a footer containing the filename, date, and page #'s on each of my spreadsheets. Is there a way that I can create a default footer that will appear on each of my spreadsheets (especially new spreadsheets) without having to go into each spreadsheet individually like I'm doing now? Thanks for the response, but I don't have a Normal.xlt file. Before I posted my question here in this discussion group, I tried using Help in Excel. I tried following the instructions to "Save styles to use in new workbooks...

MS Money
I thought I had read and saved all the pertinent info on the discontinuance of MSMoney, but after re-reading what I had saved, I am still not sure that if you don't have Money Plus, there is a "Sunset" download for me. Is that right? Do only the [2] Plus version owners have the option of downloading a "Sunset" version? I have a 2006 regular or standard MSMoney version, which I never used for online activities, but would still like to use for record keeping. Will it no longer work for me locally on my pc after year's end? bj In microsoft.public.money, ch...

Exmerge creates default PST Files
I'm running exmerge(ver. 6.5.7529.0). It shows all the mailboxes with the proper size, but when I run exmerge, it creates the pst files to the default size of 32K. Any suggestions of what i am doing wrong? On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 12:29:03 -0700, Petlab <Petlab@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm running exmerge(ver. 6.5.7529.0). It shows all the mailboxes with the >proper size, but when I run exmerge, it creates the pst files to the default >size of 32K. Any suggestions of what i am doing wrong? In other words, empty? Check the exmerge.ini log for details why the...

Make outlook default mail client
How do I make sure the Outlook is my default mail client? I'm using Outlook 2000 SR-1 Thanks, Brendan -- Disclaimer: Any comments made are personal and do not reflect the thoughts or policies of this company. Control Panel - Internet Options - Programs - pick Outlook. Brendan MAther wrote: > How do I make sure the Outlook is my default mail client? I'm using > Outlook 2000 SR-1 > > Thanks, > Brendan thankyou "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in message news:#D14B8OwDHA.3196@TK2MSFTNGP...

Inserting default value in part of input mask
I have a DB where user enters CourseName and Then CourseNumber (Primary key and Unique).. I run a code to check and display a custom error message if the value in CourseNumber is duplicate. The CourseName are actually abbreviations like AFF or PSCRB, or MFA etc... CourseNumber contains three parts i.e. CourseSerialNumberInCurrentyear +CourseName+last2digitsofCurrentYrneeds for example 001AFF09 or 029MFA09 or 010MFA10.. because of different user using the db they enter the same course no. in different formats like 001AFF09 or 001AFF2009 or 001/AFF/09 or AFF/ 001/09 and so many w...

Default Printer-Wrong Printer
Is there a way to change the printer automatically on a per application basis. Our default printer is a HP LJ 6, However 2 users also need to have access to another printer (check printer). When they are in Great Plains they will only be printing to check printer. They keep forgetting to change it from file/print and printing on the wrong printer. Also I do not need to change the default printer(hplj6) this most stay as is. Is there a regkey i can invoke or script to launch when they start GreatPlains they will change the printer to checkprinter. Now when ever they reboot and sta...

Upgrading IE
Winver XP Home 5.1 2600 SP3. IE 7.0.5730.13 IE keeps hanging still (really annoying), would it be as easy to upgrade to IE8. Would I need to uninstall IE7 first. Can you answer a question, I use a forum, for months I have tried (as a test) to update my profile, as the first time I tried several months ago, this PC hung up as soon as I clicked on the link..."update profile"....it just freezes and I have to quit IE and open again. Every time I visit the web site and click on the link, this PC freezes up immediately, Today I was testing another ...

customizations grayed out on the IE toolbar context menu
hello, from some reason, i have many items in the context menu of the toolbar area of IE grayed out. for example: status bar, favorites bar,command bar, etc... even the items in the "customize" submenu are grayed here's a screenshot: http://yfrog.com/e520100111170645crp please tell me how to fix it. We can't do squat to help you until you state your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit). What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription cur...

Remote Users for GP 8.0
We have a remote site with 5 users that are connected to us via a T1 point to point at 1.5mbps. We would like to have these w/s connect to run great plains. Is a vpn possible? SHould we use a terminal server? Any advantages in using citrix? Thanks John John, I would usually recommend Terminal Server 2003 for what you're describing. VPN only (without TS or Cirtix) is not supported by MS, nor advisable, even over a point to point T1 you're not going to like the performance. Citrix doesn't really offer too many advantages over TS for 5 users, but is also a viable alter...

evaluation mode problem in vista
Hi, I just replace my xp computer with vista home premium running 1.3R. I was able to install RMS fine and connect with the database. However, when I open POS (this is reg #1 and has the dongle - parallel) it shows that I am running in evaluation mode. Is RMS 1.3 supported under vista? Do I need to get a windows xp instead? Any help is appreciated. Regards JD ...