Favorites lost after update

Hello,

A friend reports this problem:

 "Ever since we updated IE, I cannot click on my favorites.  The icon
next to each link is the default picture sign.  If I click on the
link, it attempts to print."

The system is Windows XP Pro SP3. The update is to IE8.

Any thought about how to pursue this further? I know I need to examine
the system and will do so, but I would appreciate any prelininary
thoughts or direction.

Also, if I roll back the IE version with

%windir%\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe

would that bring back the missing favorites?

Many thanks.

Jack

0
JClark

What third-party firewall (if any)?  Were any of these applications running
in the background when your friend installed IE8?

computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when your friend
bought it)?

JClark wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A friend reports this problem:
>
> "Ever since we updated IE, I cannot click on my favorites.  The icon
> next to each link is the default picture sign.  If I click on the
> link, it attempts to print."
>
> The system is Windows XP Pro SP3. The update is to IE8.
>
> Any thought about how to pursue this further? I know I need to examine
> the system and will do so, but I would appreciate any prelininary
> thoughts or direction.
>
> Also, if I roll back the IE version with
>
> %windir%\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe
>
> would that bring back the missing favorites?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Jack

0
PA
1/15/2010 2:44:30 PM
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 09:44:30 -0500, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
<PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

>What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
>subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
>What third-party firewall (if any)?  Were any of these applications running
>in the background when your friend installed IE8?
>
>Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
>computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when your friend
>bought it)?
>
>JClark wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> A friend reports this problem:
>>
>> "Ever since we updated IE, I cannot click on my favorites.  The icon
>> next to each link is the default picture sign.  If I click on the
>> link, it attempts to print."
>>
>> The system is Windows XP Pro SP3. The update is to IE8.
>>
>> Any thought about how to pursue this further? I know I need to examine
>> the system and will do so, but I would appreciate any prelininary
>> thoughts or direction.
>>
>> Also, if I roll back the IE version with
>>
>> %windir%\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe
>>
>> would that bring back the missing favorites?
>>
>> Many thanks.
>>
>> Jack
Thanks for the questions. I will check on these issues. My post was
perhaps premature, since I don't know the details. I appreciate the
reply.

Jack
0
JClark

Can't install KB976325 IE8 Cumulative update
Hello...I haven't been able to install this update it seems for about 1 month. I get the same error. I tried running chkdsk /f and that didn't work. Any suggestions???? Thank you! loril wrote: > I haven't been able to install this update it seems for about 1 > month. I get the same error. I tried running chkdsk /f and that didn't > work. Any suggestions???? Give more details in your message body next time. ;-) We get you are running Internet Explorer 8 - but what OS? What architecture? What edition of said OS? What service pack level? Did...

Outlook 2003
This has happened to me before and I refuse to fix it the way I did last time. Last time I had to format the hard drive and start from scratch. So I am hoping someone in here can tell me the answer. I followed instructions for adding "News" to the Go toolbar in Outlook 2003. It works until you start Outlook again and low and behold there is no "News" link to the news reader any more. Not a trace of it anywhere in Outlook. Not even in the "Add buttons" to tool bars area. Does anyone have any earthly idea how to recover the news reader link in Outlook 2003???...

How to update video file to MySpace
Hi all, i am researching about APIs to update file to MySpace. Anyone know this, pls share me. Thanks It is most likely that this involves a TCP/IP protocol. That is, you open a connection to MySpace to a specified port, and then engage in some transfer of information back and forth to establish credentials, file name, etc., then send the video using a specified protocol. That's what I woud guess; the question is whether or not this interface is "open" (documented) or "proprietary" (undocumented). So that's what I'd be looking for; the APIs of course wo...

Task update screen
Hello, At PWA 2007, I want to get an updates from resources. The screen stuck in loading grid so I can't see anything. Please advice. P. On Dec 1, 1:10=A0am, "Poni" <P...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello, > > At PWA 2007, I want to get an updates from resources. > The screen stuck in loadinggridso I can't see anything. > > Please advice. > > P. Hi Poni, have you had any luck with this? I am having the same issue with my test server, but my user account is the only one experiencing the issue. On Dec 15, 4:35=A0pm, Jennife...

update query for current records on form
I am trying to take my main form (Prospects) and update the corresponding fields from a subform (where the corresponding field's radio box is selected - Field: Name, Radio Box: Name_Select). The subform's record source is a query based on a completely different table from the main forms record source (Prospects - tabled name the same as form), and there is not a linkable field, such as an ID code. The subform has a combo box that allows me to type in a company name and then display the corresponding company's record in the form (the subform of the main form). I then want to be ab...

RE: Try corrective update which came from the Microsoft Corp.
--qbsuxxtb Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="yiuvldjamgt"; type="multipart/alternative" --yiuvldjamgt Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="polwfjmnxasnseb" --polwfjmnxasnseb Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Partner this is the latest version of security update, the "November 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to prot...

Windows Update with Vista Update
I have a continuing problem when installing WindowsUpdates on my Vista 64b Ultimate machine. At some point during the installation process, memory is corrupted. This is evident by the fact that my screen graphics get totally 'scrambled' and the machine hangs. I have to powerdown, restart in Safe Mode and then restart in normal mode. This happens on about 1 in 3 update processes. I have all of the latest updates (except for those I tried to install just now...) Can anyone offer any advice as to what to do? ...

Internal Error Applying Updates
Using PS 2007 SP2 Aug, 2009 CU (i think) Twice now my schedule has stopped acceptiong updates from resources and the Updates page shows the following error "There was an internal error applying the update" The first time I restored an earlier version from the archive and manually updates the missing updates and the updates began to work again. This time I have again restored and earlier version however it still is not updating from PWA. Any help much appreciated Darrell When did you applied the CU. I have seen similar issue with another client of mine two...

Holidays Not Updated!
Hi there, I've downloaded the outhol.exe to have access to holidays past 2005, but I still can't seem to get them installed in my Outlook 2000. I've followed the download instructions and added holidays in my option menu. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks. ...

Setup program to update?
I have just started using a setup project for my program to install it on to my user's machines. using online tutorials it was easy to do. but one thing I cannot figure out is, when I make little changes to the program and make a new setup to distribute it, it always asks users to uninstall their previous version then install this new one. is it possible to set this up so my updates are treated as updates instead of new products? or is there some other trick to distributing updates? Hello, If you look at the properties of the Setup project you will find the propert...

Update Pivot Table #2
Is there a way I can get my pivot tables to automatically update before I print the sheet containing them Thanks You can use the before print event You can record a macro when you refresh the tables, then copy and paste that code Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) 'your recorded refresh code End Sub It goes into ThisWorkbook (right click the excel icon next to the File menu and select view code -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Brandt" <bsaxey@pridehomesofutah.com> wrote in message news:A1DE0F32-AD26-45B7-AB3D-CC921DB6633A@microsoft.com... > Is there...

Recurring Meeting Changes not updating on Calendar.
After doing a lot of looking around I am hoping someone here might be able to help me out. I have a user that changed a recurring meeting on her calendar. The recurring meeting with several other people. It is normally Tuesdays from 9-10. She made a change to the one scheduled for today to tomrrow from 11:30-1:30 and it was accepted but the other person. The Tuesday meeting disappeared (as it should) from her desktop Outlook calendar ... BUT it still appears on her Blackberry and, bizarrely, it still appears on the other user's calendar. When someone else opens the first users calendar ...

Do any microsoft buildtime dependancies C#/C/c++/VB/etc. need to be updated for the 2007 policy on daylight savings time?
Do any microsoft buildtime dependancies C#/C/c++/VB/etc. need to be updated for the 2007 policy on daylight savings time? I know the OS needs to be updated but I care now about C libraries, .net binaries, etc. that microsoft maintains which have coded in them logic around datetime. e.g. the C# and c++ datetime objects that microsoft maintains, do these have any logic that needs to be updated reguardless of the OS being updated? Or is all such functinality 100% derived off the OS so no library or development or build time tool updates nessicary? ...

BIOS update problem
I am sorry if this is right group to post I have a gateway mx6454 and download BIOS update Winphlash1656.exe from Gateway. I followed the readme file to update the BIOS utility that flashes the BIOS on the motherboard. Load New BIOS -- Pass Analyze Old and New BIOS Compatibility -- Pass Read Old BIOS --- Pass Save old BIOS to backup file -- Pass Flash New BIOS -- failed The readme file said I should reboot then try the step "Flash BIOS" again. I missed the step of reboot and did "Flash BIOS" again. Now: Load New BIOS -- Pass Analyze Old and New BIOS Compat...

I am interested in knowing some of your favorite Excel Add-ins
Hello - I have been too cheap to buy any excel add-ins or plug-ins, and then recently I downloaded one (i.e., the PUP v6 toolbar), and realized that it was worth much more than the $40 price tag. I would be interested to hear some of your favorite add-ins (either free or purchased) and why you find them to be valuable. It would also be helpful to have the link to where they can be found. Thanks! - M If you regularly write really complex formulas this add-in has some very useful functions: Morefunc - free download: http://xcell05.free.fr/english/ If you find yourself searching the inter...

Update Patches through WSUS console
I approved all patches to be updated under my computer on thursday I came today and found some patches installed and some not but the issue is that my system is restarted (when i left my office my PC was locked) so the question is that (if the patches is installed the system will reboot automatically and if this assumption is true so how we can fix it (find away to control the restart issue ( example : schadule it or when the user is log off) as this is make us in risk - another issu is that my PC was appeared in the console with An exclamation point mark button yellow m...

Update Contacts
Hi! Does Outlook Connector synchronizes contacts from Hotmail to MS Outlook only or from MS Outlook to hotmail too? If i change my contacts in MS Outlook 2007, they do not synchronize to hotmail but if i change them in hotmail, it comes to MS Outlook. Thanks! "create_share" <createshare@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:849B9741-4A21-4F1A-BA61-C364E8027D7C@microsoft.com... > Does Outlook Connector synchronizes contacts from Hotmail to MS Outlook only > or from MS Outlook to hotmail too? > > If i change my contacts in MS Outlook ...

interstore transfer lost in HQ
We have had an ongoing problem though all the RMS versions with inter-store transfers not completing from the sending store to the receiving store. The tell-tale symptom is the sending store will send it through the HQ client and will show up in the PurchaseOrder and PurchaseOrderEntry tables, but the receiving store never gets the transfer, so their corresponding entries never show up in the PurchaseOrder tables. I think that the cause of this problem happens when the sending store gets delayed while uploading the HQ Client, so by the time the transfers gets into HQ, the receiving sto...

lost outlook folder
I keep a "client" subfolder in my "contacts" folder in my Outlook. It just disappeared for no reason. Where can I find it? Did you check your deleted folder? Or the deleted folder in your personal folders? >-----Original Message----- >I keep a "client" subfolder in my "contacts" folder in my >Outlook. It just disappeared for no reason. Where can I >find it? >. > ...

[ANN] Unable to download updates
Some users are receiving the error "can't find the server download.microsoft.com" when trying to download the updater files for Office. This frustrating problem does not affect everyone. It is not an Office for Mac problem, nor is it browser specific. Feedback indicates it could be older PPC computers or older versions of the OS that do not deal with changing DNS updates that are being rolled out. Try these solutions and let us know if they worked for you. Unable to download updates (The Entourage Help Blog) <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2008/07/unable_to_download_update...

Re: Updating file names
I am making a simple excel button that opens other excel files when clicked but i need it to update the link when clicked on if it is changed by the user. Obviously a button to open another excel file is easy to do but i cannot work out how to make it automatically update the link. I have a small knowledge of VBA and am guessing that using it is one of the only ways that this problem can be solved? At the moment if the user changes the filename the link becomes broken. Does anyone know a way of solving this? Thanks -- mintys247 ------------------------------------------------------------...

Template does not get updated when a project is closed
We have found a problem with the use of timesheet templates in the Business Portal. Apparently the template does not get updated when a project is closed or an employee's assignment to the project is removed. I would imagine there was no intention to do this given the nature of what a template is. However, we would like to raise an enhancement request to the Business Portal to see if something can be done to stop a timesheet being saved or submitted with a closed project code. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with t...

'unable to update free\busy informtion'
Have a brand new Exchange 2003 server (only one server) working for one week All working fine - but today - when users are accessing shared calendar they get the 'unable to update free\busy information' error. This worked fine yesterday - and no changes have been made. They can view but can't edit the shared calendar This all worked fine on Exchange 5.5 before migration - the mail was imported back into their new Exchange 2003 via PST files Any ideas anyone ?? ...

Public Folder Favorites-Edit Public Calendars
I have a user who manages multiple public calendars for scheduling and she has made Favorites for all of them to have easy access in her folder list. My question is if she edits the public calendars through the favorites view will that mess up the calendars as far as their being updated properly? Thanks! No, favorites are only a pointer to the real folder. However, if she is using cached exchange and is caching public folder favorites, there may be a slight delay for the server to update. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outloo...

updating a display without calling refresh?
I have a form with several subforms. When the user types new information into the subforms, a calculation is run and the result stored in the "outer" form's record in the database. Normally you'd call me.form.refresh to resync the display with the underlying recordset. But if you do, the entire form state is torn down and recreated, and in the process the cursor focus changes. This makes it basically impossible to simply tab through a set of fields and change the values, because the cursor keeps hoping around the screen If I don't call refresh, then an edits on th...