Cannot open url's after IE8 Update noe Rollback to IE7

Using a Toshiba laptop with Windows XP SP3 which has McAfee Security Center
on it.  Important to note, the subscription is current EXCEPT that the McAfee
firewall portion is saying it is out of date..... I will address this further
below.

IE8 diagnose the problem tells me my network is perfectly fine and that ftp,
http, and https all work.  Firefox works.  Someone logging in remotely to my
machine works.  Ping yahoo.com works.

I have reset my all in one DSL modem/router but that did not matter ** SO **
I uninstalled IE8 which took the machine back down to IE7.  Why did I do this
.... not being able to configure the McAfee firewall means that I cannot go in
and see if I need to tell it to allow IE8 to function.  I cannot see why that
would matter as IE7 functioned just fine.  I was going to uninstall all of
McAfee however I could not locate my online receipt for re-install and
........  someone helping me turned off the 3 start up apps in msconfig and it
made no difference.

So now the problem still exists having rolled back to IE7.

Any ideas ???  Help please!  Thank you.

Did you disable all McAfee components (i.e., anti-virus; anti-spyware;
firewall) and then enable the Windows Firewall prior to
installing/uninstalling IE7 and/or IE8 and/or SP3?

Has another McAfee application or a Norton application ever been installed
on this machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
bought it; one or more earlier versions of McAfee Security Center)?

Did you ever have occasion to do a Repair Install of WinXP after having
installed IE7 and/or IE8?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

Sarah C wrote:
> Using a Toshiba laptop with Windows XP SP3 which has McAfee Security
> Center
> on it.  Important to note, the subscription is current EXCEPT that the
> McAfee firewall portion is saying it is out of date..... I will address
> this further below.
>
> IE8 diagnose the problem tells me my network is perfectly fine and that
> ftp,
> http, and https all work.  Firefox works.  Someone logging in remotely to
> my
> machine works.  Ping yahoo.com works.
>
> I have reset my all in one DSL modem/router but that did not matter ** SO
> **
> I uninstalled IE8 which took the machine back down to IE7.  Why did I do
> this ... not being able to configure the McAfee firewall means that I
> cannot go in and see if I need to tell it to allow IE8 to function.  I
> cannot see why that would matter as IE7 functioned just fine.  I was going
> to uninstall all of McAfee however I could not locate my online receipt
> for
> re-install and .......  someone helping me turned off the 3 start up apps
> in msconfig and it made no difference.
>
> So now the problem still exists having rolled back to IE7.
>
> Any ideas ???  Help please!  Thank you.

0
PA
12/22/2009 4:58:55 PM
I disabled all McAfee components via msconfig prior to uninstalling IE8
however this did not resolve the issue.  Now back to the original IE7, the
issue remains.

No other McAfee or Norton on this unit prior and even checked Control Panel
as sometimes I know Live Update from Norton can hang around from other
products.

Did not remove XP-SP3 by the way.  How this all happened was simply choosing
to install all Windows updates said to be needed including IE8.  After that
install, the problem presented itself.  Was never able to succesfully connect
vie IE8 and again, still cannot with IE7.

Windows Firewall is turned off and going to uninstall McAfee totally to see
if that resolves the issue.  Hopefully this is not the case as if I can
install Firefox which was never on the machine before .... and it just works
without me having to tell McAfee, why would not the same thing be true for
IE8 ... especially since IE7 was working prior and was simply updated???

Very frustrating.  Thanks for your help and will appreciate anything further
you might suggest.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Did you disable all McAfee components (i.e., anti-virus; anti-spyware;
> firewall) and then enable the Windows Firewall prior to
> installing/uninstalling IE7 and/or IE8 and/or SP3?
>
> Has another McAfee application or a Norton application ever been installed
> on this machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> bought it; one or more earlier versions of McAfee Security Center)?
>
> Did you ever have occasion to do a Repair Install of WinXP after having
> installed IE7 and/or IE8?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> Sarah C wrote:
> > Using a Toshiba laptop with Windows XP SP3 which has McAfee Security
> > Center
> > on it.  Important to note, the subscription is current EXCEPT that the
> > McAfee firewall portion is saying it is out of date..... I will address
> > this further below.
> >
> > IE8 diagnose the problem tells me my network is perfectly fine and that
> > ftp,
> > http, and https all work.  Firefox works.  Someone logging in remotely to
> > my
> > machine works.  Ping yahoo.com works.
> >
> > I have reset my all in one DSL modem/router but that did not matter ** SO
> > **
> > I uninstalled IE8 which took the machine back down to IE7.  Why did I do
> > this ... not being able to configure the McAfee firewall means that I
> > cannot go in and see if I need to tell it to allow IE8 to function.  I
> > cannot see why that would matter as IE7 functioned just fine.  I was going
> > to uninstall all of McAfee however I could not locate my online receipt
> > for
> > re-install and .......  someone helping me turned off the 3 start up apps
> > in msconfig and it made no difference.
> >
> > So now the problem still exists having rolled back to IE7.
> >
> > Any ideas ???  Help please!  Thank you.
>
> .

> I disabled all McAfee components via msconfig prior to uninstalling IE8...

Did you do so before you installed IE8?

What's the full name & version of the McAfee application (e.g., McAfee
Security Center 2009) and is your subscription current?

What anti-virus application was installed before you installed your current
McAfee application & version?

> Windows Firewall is turned off and going to uninstall McAfee totally to
> see
> if that resolves the issue.

Never, ever connect to the internet without an enabled firewall!  If you
disable the McAfee firewall, enable the Windows Firewall and vice versa.

McAfee applications are notorious for not uninstalling (or upgrading)
cleanly.  If you want to remove/reinstall the McAfee application, use this
three-step method: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

If you want to replace the McAfee application with something else, do Steps
#1 and #2 before installing the new application.

Sarah C wrote:
> [...]
>>> my
>>> machine works.  Ping yahoo.com works.
>>>
>>> I have reset my all in one DSL modem/router but that did not matter **
>>> SO
>>> **
>>> I uninstalled IE8 which took the machine back down to IE7.  Why did I do
>>> this ... not being able to configure the McAfee firewall means that I
>>> cannot go in and see if I need to tell it to allow IE8 to function.  I
>>> cannot see why that would matter as IE7 functioned just fine.  I was
>>> going
>>> to uninstall all of McAfee however I could not locate my online receipt
>>> for
>>> re-install and .......  someone helping me turned off the 3 start up
>>> apps
>>> in msconfig and it made no difference.
>>>
>>> So now the problem still exists having rolled back to IE7.

0
PA

I can't install the 12.2.1 update on Snow Leopard
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Office 2008 12.2.1 Update can't be installed on this disk. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume. I guarantee a legitimate copy of Office 2008 for Mac is on my iMac. Any suggestions? On 9/30/09 3:43 PM, in article 59b7d9fc.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "kpainte1@officeformac.com" <kpainte1@officeformac.com> wrote: > Office 2008 12.2.1 Update can't be installed on this disk. A version of the > software required to install this update was n...

Cant open saved files in Publisher Beta2 new version. Any advise
I have tried to open several save files in the new version of Publisher Beta 2, but alas it seems impossible. When clicking on recent files they can't find them and I have to browse for them, but when I find them I get the message cant open the file (s). Somebody having a good advise? Have you installed the beta refresh? http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/thankyou.aspx?familyId=B07A3387-01CF-4BC3-821A-0BB10E7A59FA&displayLang=en&oRef=blockedReferrer There are a number of fixes in the refresh. I cannot duplicate your error, Publisher 2007 opens all my files. Do you have Norton...

Excel 2007 fails to open documents
I had no problems with MS Excel 2007 so far, and yesterdays my files saved OK, but today I found Excel can't open neither of my many spreadsheets created before. It crashes and attempts to send a report to MS. Diagnostics suggests the files are placed by MS to "disabled items", but I couldn't find in any help guidelines how to enable files back in Office 2007 (only 2003 and earlier). Also I found that if I try to go to menu MS button/Excel Options/Resources/ Contact US - Excel crashes the same way! Has anybody seen this? Any suggestions? -- VladimirF "VladimirF&q...

calendar updates
I can add events at calendar.live.com but cannot add an event on the desktop. Save and close doesn't work. Why? -- Rupe It should be as simply as opening WLM, go to the calendar and right click on a date. Context menu will appear with an option to add an event. Are you seeing any error messages? Colin Brown WL MVP "Rupe" <Rupe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CCC68FEB-E31A-445E-8A97-39515894C888@microsoft.com... > I can add events at calendar.live.com but cannot add an event on the > desktop. > Save and close doesn't work...

Page open fine in OWA but not outlook
Hello, I have an issue, where a page with some graphics and text opens up fine when I read it through OWA (Exhange 2003), but I only get part of the graphics when I view the same mail using outlook 2003 (Sp3), and the text is not even shown. Had anybody experience this and know a fix? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Sunil Is the Email in HTML format? If so, reset all IE settings on the box that has Outlook 2003 ( with outlook and IE closed ) and then try again. "Sunil" wrote: > Hello, > I have an issue, where a page with some graphics and text opens ...

.NET Security updates fail
Opening a new thread as suggested by PA Bear. OS: Windows XP Pro SP3 running IE8 but Chrome for anything useful. Part on an office network with an SBS2003 domain server. The above updates won't install and fail with error 0x80070643. I have read KB976982 and followed its procedure to remove all .NET versions and replace them in the order 3.5SP1, 1.1, 1.1SP1 followed by Windows update. This has not resolved the problem and the updates sit in my systray, waiting.. I am also running AVG Free and take the view that any AV is better than none. Is there any suggestion that A...

Word 3003 Typing URL is not active
In word 2003. Something happened and changed the text I type of any email address or URL. The text appears in simple black text and is not active. HOW DO I RESET THIS? Thanks This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0057_01CB02A5.1DBAEC80 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable If you add a URL to an email, it needs a Ctrl+Click to make it work for = you, but when you have sent it, it should work with a single click by = the recipient. --=20 Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP "Baha&qu...

How to open a workbook into a new Excel application
Hi, I'm wondering if there a way to open a workbook into a new application by default. So, when you double-click the excel workbook, it will start in a new Excel application. I think about something in the Open event but I don't know how to cancel the process and restart it into an other application. Thank you! Alex -- Alex St-Pierre Alex, Excel is an application. Normally Excel runs with only a single instance of itself. You can do OLE linking with programs like MS Word. This sort of runs Excel inside Word. I have seen multiple instances of Excel running a...

Money Plus Auto Updates
I just converted from Money 2006 Deluxe to Money Plus Deluxe. My accounts do not automatically update but prices do. I used to get transactions downloaded from my credit card account every time I launched Money. Now it only updates when I do it manually from the update icon in the top right corner. I'm set up for automatic updates every 24 hours but the account is not updated even after several days. I've followed all the instructions in the help. Do I need to do something else? -- Ellary Buffalo Grove, IL ...

Performance Updates
I need to get our remote users the ability to use CRM Sales for Outlook from a vpn connection. I received some advice on this regarding performance updates for outlook clients. How do I do this? Please advise here is the link you need http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=133a85d0-e3e3-4356-908d-9fb6e4fa3501&DisplayLang=en however you should also make sure the users install the outlook client while connected to your corporate lan and then do their initial go offline there as well. -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mscrmfaq.us "Dave"...

Update Lead field based on Marketing list name
Hello, I have a field in Lead called Topic which I would like to update. Here how. Each time this lead is associated to list marketing, the name of the list will be added in the field. The names will have to be added one to the others each time a new list is associated the lead. Somebody would have an idea how to make it this happen? Thank There are the AddMember and AssMembersByFetchXML messages on the list entity. You can try attaching a plugin to these messages, if that works you can check if the member is a lead and then proceed to update lead. Input parameters: ListId and Ent...

Outlook 2002 closes 10 seconds after opening
I have not been able to find any solution to this yet and it is very frustrating. I am running Outlook 2002 on a WinXP laptop and today (after almost a year of working fine) Outlook decides to shut down about 10 seconds after I open it. No error message or anything else like that - it just closes. I already "repaired" my Office installation, but this did not solve the problem. I also downloaded and installed every Office service pack and fix that I thought could help. No luck. PLEASE HELP. Thanks, BBB ...

Exchange Admin can't open Other Users Folder
Help, I am the Exchange admin for a small company with one Exchange 2000 server (AD). I am trying to open users folders much like I used to with Exchange 5.5 as the System Attendant. I am currently a member of everya dmin and exchange admin group available. And if I'm not, I can make myself a member of any group if I have to. Any suggestion is appreciated. Thank you -G gaguilar@caresclinic.org What do you mean under "users folders"? By default, administrators have Deny access permission set to Full mailbox access right. Hence they cannot see users mailboxes. Regards, Boris...

Cant open files
Recently Excel quit opening files I double click in file manager/Windows Explorer. It also won't open files I get sent to me via e-mail. Excel launches and then says ready but never opens the file. If I use the File--Open feature it works but that is a royal pain. I have Windows XP and Office 2000 running on a HP 5200 Laptop. It worked for some time, then quit. Uninstalling Office and re-installing doesn't fix the problem. Ideas? Thanks ...

Operation failed error when opening attachment
A customer of mine sometime gets the error message 'The operation failed' when opening an attachment. This has been seen for .xls and .zip files from a particular source. If outlook is closed then re-opened, the attachment opens fine. Also, if the same file is sent again, the copy will open. I posted this message once before and it was suggested to me that there may be a problem with the secure outlook temp folder. I have followed the instructions given to empty this folder, but this has not resolved the problem. Even directly after emptying the folder, the customer experienced a ...

Update in progress
When I upgraded to MO5, it duplicated a lot of my accounts. I kinda know why, but that's not the issue. In the Account List, those duplicate accounts indicated they were being updated. But it never goes away and manual updates won't work because another update is already in progress. I'm stuck in an endless, catch 22 loop. I even restarted the software and the updating remained. I deleted all the duplicate accounts, that were supposedly still updating, but there is one left "updating" which is not duplicate. So I can't delete it. How can I get MO5 to st...

can i set up calendar so people can see but not open items?
i want other members of staff to be able to see what's in my calendar but not be able to open individual meetings/items etc. Is there a way to do this? I'm using Outlook 2003. No, not directly on the calendar, but you could give them free/busy access. Monica;122627 Wrote: > i want other members of staff to be able to see what's in my calendar > but not > be able to open individual meetings/items etc. Is there a way to do > this? I'm > using Outlook 2003. -- Slipstick 'Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center' (http://www.slipst...

IE8
In IE8, if you view a SQL 2005 SP3 report server report through a Page Viewer web part in SharePoint WSS 3.0, the rendered tables have the right hand borders missing. It only occurs when there is a left/right border-collapse in the table, which suggests a problem with the table width. If you zoom, export or print the report, the borders show. Testing on IE7 reveals borders showing OK for same markup (I compared them). Is this an IE8 bug? No, <joke>its the loose keyboard nut</joke> Press the Compatibility button in IE8 to switch to the IE7 rendering mode. (...

Personal.xls opens on startup...
instead of book1. How do I correct this issue? Normally, your personal.xls opens in the background while book1 is the default workbook. Now everytime I open excel, my personal.xls spreadsheet opens. I am using Office 2000 if it makes a difference. Thanks for the help. Sean When you have opened it, do windows>hide close excel and answer yes when asked if you want to save it. From now on everything should be back to normal -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Sean" <sean.osworth@lmco.com> wrote in message news:145201c3a885$091d0780$a601280a@phx.gbl... > instead of book...

XL97 changes filenames upon open
Hi All........... Just started today...........when I open any .xls file, either C drive or network, by doubleclicking in WinExplorer, the name of the file is changed by XL adding a 1 to the end of the filename.............then won't "SAVE" back to where I got the file from, wants to "SAVE AS" in MyDocuments with the new filename............. If I open the same files by rightclick-open in WinExplorer they open normally.............if I open XL first, the same files open ok also.......... AutoCAD and WORD files still open ok by double-clicking. This a couple of...

Opening Excel spreadsheet in MAC
I did a database of names and addresses in Excel 2000 and would like to share it with a Mac user. Any hope? To make matters worse, the Mac user is our secretary and others in our organization need to read her stuff too. As long as you saved your database as an Excel file, it will open fine in MacXL. Mac and Win Office file formats are identical for the last 4 versions of each. In article <98EEE2DC-7705-4EB0-ADB8-E0E999C82B0D@microsoft.com>, "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I did a database of names and addresses in Excel 2000 and would like to...

Outlook hangs opening mail with Attachments
I have a client rinning Outlook 2003 & Exchange Server 2000. When she tries to open an email with an attachment it takes around 10 to 15 seconds to open. All other email opens just fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated! ...

Unable to open Attachments (Environment Wide)
Going to post this in the Exchange group, as I havent had any luck in the Outlook group. This may actually be a server security issue, but I am a bit lost on a solution. We recently migrated to Office XP at our corporate office. Since the upgrade, I am having several complaints of attachments not openning. After researching the issue, it appears be random and the current solution is to forward the message to the receiver, and then launch the attachment. The attachments are not blocked and are simple Word, Excel and PDF files. The user receives no error. Double clicking the attachmen...

Opening Page format
Using MS Publisher 2002, I want the opening page to show only a blank page, not a graphic showing - in a third of the screen - a selection of "scheme - options - designs" Help/advice will be appreciated. If it takes up a third of the page you must be using 640 x 480 - UNBELIEVABLE Go to menu Tools > Options tab General second item down - DE-select -- On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:44:07 +1000, "���MS�Publisher���" <donotknock@nobodyhome.com> wrote: >If it takes up a third of the page you must be using 640 x 480 - >UNBELIEVABLE I'm not. > >Go to me...

How to open registry file both ASCII and Unicode versions
Hi, In my program i need to open a windows registry export file (both older ASCII REGEDIT4 and unicode regedit 5 formats) and parse the file for my programs requirements. The project is not and cannot be built as unicode (for other reasons). Once the file is opened I need to parse the file, read keys + values etc... Question is how do i do this? I have used CStdioFile, open as typeBinary and then fgetws(wcBuffer, nMax, importFile.m_pStream) Which works for unicode files, but how do i test whether a file is ASCII or Unicode in the first place? Any help would be much appreaciated, T...