OE6 -- Reducing DBX File Size?

Hi Folks,

My in-box folder was getting too large, so I deleted about 3/4 of the =
emails but still the DBX folder shows the same size - 200MB.  I tried to =
compress it and it says there is not enough hard drive space (I have 900 =
MB of empty space).=20

Any idea how to reduce the size of the inbox?

Thanks in advance!

Bob

0
Guv
5/21/2010 6:26:32 AM
inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpres 260 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Guv Bob wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> My in-box folder was getting too large, so I deleted about 3/4 of the emails but still the DBX folder shows the same size - 200MB.  I tried to compress it and it says there is not enough hard drive space (I have 900 MB of empty space).
>
> Any idea how to reduce the size of the inbox?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Bob

900MB of free disk space is too little for even the OS to run properly.
Time to start shopping around for a bigger disk or a 2nd one to add.  In
the meantime, start looking at what you have installed that you can
uninstall, or what data files that aren't much used that you can move
off onto removable media, like a CD/DVD-R[W] disc or flash thumb drive.
0
VanguardLH
5/21/2010 11:18:39 AM
Go to Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools  | Disk cleanup and =
run that and see what kind of space you can free up on the hard drive.  =
If you still get the inability to compact the file, then move all the =
messages to another folder.  Then with OE closed, delete the inbox.dbx =
file.  Then you will have a new and very small inbox.

steve

"Guv Bob" <brotherdave@YEEEEOOOOWWWbigfoot.com> wrote in message =
Hi Folks,

My in-box folder was getting too large, so I deleted about 3/4 of the =
emails but still the DBX folder shows the same size - 200MB.  I tried to =
compress it and it says there is not enough hard drive space (I have 900 =
MB of empty space).=20

Any idea how to reduce the size of the inbox?

Thanks in advance!

Bob

0
Steve
5/21/2010 12:29:39 PM
Thanks!

"VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message =
> Guv Bob wrote:
>=20
> > Hi Folks,
> >=20
> > My in-box folder was getting too large, so I deleted about 3/4 of =
the emails but still the DBX folder shows the same size - 200MB.  I =
tried to compress it and it says there is not enough hard drive space (I =
have 900 MB of empty space).=20
> >=20
> > Any idea how to reduce the size of the inbox?
> >=20
> > Thanks in advance!
> >=20
> > Bob
>=20
> 900MB of free disk space is too little for even the OS to run =
properly.
> Time to start shopping around for a bigger disk or a 2nd one to add.  =
In
> the meantime, start looking at what you have installed that you can
> uninstall, or what data files that aren't much used that you can move
> off onto removable media, like a CD/DVD-R[W] disc or flash thumb drive.
0
Guv
5/22/2010 7:24:00 AM
"Steve Cochran" <scochran@oehelp.com> wrote in message =

Go to Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools  | Disk cleanup and =
run that and see what kind of space you can free up on the hard drive.  =
If you still get the inability to compact the file, then move all the =
messages to another folder.  Then with OE closed, delete the inbox.dbx =
file.  Then you will have a new and very small inbox.

Thanks, Steve.  I moved a bunch of files to an external disk and got 2GB =
of free memory.  Also I copied some of the larger DBX files off the =
primary HD and now can compact folders.  The compacting process appears =
to proceed to completion as normal, but when finished there is no more =
free disk space, and the compacted DBX files are the same size as the =
un-compacted files.

0
Guv
5/22/2010 7:28:37 AM
Guv Bob wrote:

> I moved a bunch of files to an external disk and got 2GB of free
> memory.  Also I copied some of the larger DBX files off the primary
> HD and now can compact folders.  The compacting process appears to
> proceed to completion as normal, but when finished there is no more
> free disk space, and the compacted DBX files are the same size as the
> un-compacted files.

So how many files was "3/4 of the e-mails" in the Inbox folder?  What
was their total size in kilobytes?  You might've deleted some files but
not many files, or you deleted many files but they were all just a
couple kilobytes in size so in total there wasn't many bytes deleted to
then physically purge with a compaction.

Are you sure that the .dbx files you are looking at are in the path used
by Outlook Express?  Where are you finding the .dbx files?  If you
receive a new e-mail, do you see the timestamp on the inbox.dbx file
also get updated?

NOTE: Do *not* post to newsgroups using quoted-printable format (never
recommended for Usenet posts).  In OE, configure its Newsgroup settings
to send using plain-text, use MIME encoding, select None, and set
word-wrap to 72 characters for line length, and indent quoted text using
the ">" character.
0
VanguardLH
5/22/2010 9:27:00 AM
Try what I suggested in the paragraph you quoted below.

[...]

5/22/2010 12:23:35 PM
Thanks, Steve.

[...]

6/21/2010 9:23:38 PM
> Guv Bob wrote:
>=20
> > I moved a bunch of files to an external disk and got 2GB of free
> > memory.  Also I copied some of the larger DBX files off the primary
> > HD and now can compact folders.  The compacting process appears to
> > proceed to completion as normal, but when finished there is no more
> > free disk space, and the compacted DBX files are the same size as =
the
> > un-compacted files.
>=20
> So how many files was "3/4 of the e-mails" in the Inbox folder?  What
> was their total size in kilobytes?  You might've deleted some files =
but
> not many files, or you deleted many files but they were all just a
> couple kilobytes in size so in total there wasn't many bytes deleted =
> then physically purge with a compaction.

Files are typical for email - a few KB to 5MB max.  That's not the =
problem.  I'm talking about compacting DBX files and then having no more =
disk space than before compacting.
=20
> Are you sure that the .dbx files you are looking at are in the path =
used
> by Outlook Express?  Where are you finding the .dbx files?  If you
> receive a new e-mail, do you see the timestamp on the inbox.dbx file
> also get updated?

Yes.

In the OE folder.  See next posting.

Yes.

0
Guv
6/21/2010 9:35:30 PM
Here is a screen capture of the OE6 folder showing DBX files:

https://www.yousendit.com/download/YWhQUWVrNXZ0QTFFQlE9PQ

"Guv Bob" <brotherdave@YEEEEOOOOWWWbigfoot.com> wrote in message =
Hi Folks,

My in-box folder was getting too large, so I deleted about 3/4 of the =
emails but still the DBX folder shows the same size - 200MB.  I tried to =
compress it and it says there is not enough hard drive space (I have 900 =
MB of empty space).=20

Any idea how to reduce the size of the inbox?

Thanks in advance!

Bob

0
Guv
6/21/2010 9:35:57 PM
I've read all of your posts in this thread to-date.

1a. Move any messages that you want to keep out of Sent Items and
Deleted Items folders and into other local OE folders you've created
for archiving (saving) such messages.

1b. Move 99% of your messages in your Inbox folder to other local OE
folders, too.

2a. Write down the location of your identity's store (http://
www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm#storemain).

2b. Enable 'Show Hidden Files and Folders' via Start | Control Panel |
Folder Options | View (cf. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutori=
al62.html).

3. Close OE.

4. In Windows Explorer, navigate to your store folder, find & delete
the files Outbox.dbx, Sent Items.dbx, and Deleted Items.dbx.

To avoid such problems in the future, adhere to the following caveats:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages.  Move them to
local folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working
offline".  More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

- Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not
attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if
Automatic Compacting is taking place.

- Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application.  It can cause
corruption (i.e., loss of messages) and provides no additional
protection:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

On May 21, 2:26=A0am, "Guv Bob" <brotherd...@YEEEEOOOOWWWbigfoot.com>
wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> My in-box folder was getting too large, so I deleted about 3/4 of the ema=
ils but still the DBX folder shows the same size - 200MB. =A0I tried to com=
press it and it says there is not enough hard drive space (I have 900 MB of=
 empty space).

> Any idea how to reduce the size of the inbox?
0
PA
6/21/2010 10:04:54 PM
Thanks very much, PA!  Will take your advice.

Any idea why, when I compact a folder, the file size still remains the =
same?   I've done this with small and large folders with the same =
result.  Is this normal or possibly something amiss on my system?   If =
normal, I don't see the reason for compacting if there's no disk space =
to gain.

Thanks again for the tips.

Bob

On May 21, 2:26 am, "Guv Bob" <brotherd...@YEEEEOOOOWWWbigfoot.com>
wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> My in-box folder was getting too large, so I deleted about 3/4 of the =
emails but still the DBX folder shows the same size - 200MB. I tried to =
compress it and it says there is not enough hard drive space (I have 900 =
MB of empty space).

> Any idea how to reduce the size of the inbox?
0
Guv
6/22/2010 1:57:00 AM
Your current Identity may be damaged, especially if its the default Main
Identity.  Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named Identity...

   File | Identities | Add new identity

Assuming all is well, (1) compact all folders in the old identity, (2)
import messages from the old identity into the new one, and then (3) delete
the old one (File | Identities | Manage Identities).

To avoid such corruption in future, adhere to all of the caveats I posted
earlier.

Guv Bob wrote:
> Thanks very much, PA!  Will take your advice.
>
> Any idea why, when I compact a folder, the file size still remains the
> same?   I've done this with small and large folders with the same result.
> Is this normal or possibly something amiss on my system?   If normal, I
> don't see the reason for compacting if there's no disk space to gain.
>
> Thanks again for the tips.
>
> Bob
>

> "PA Bear, MS MVP" <pabearmvp@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I've read all of your posts in this thread to-date.
>
> 1a. Move any messages that you want to keep out of Sent Items and
> Deleted Items folders and into other local OE folders you've created
> for archiving (saving) such messages.
>
> 1b. Move 99% of your messages in your Inbox folder to other local OE
> folders, too.
>
> 2a. Write down the location of your identity's store (http://
> www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm#storemain).
>
> 2b. Enable 'Show Hidden Files and Folders' via Start | Control Panel |
> Folder Options | View (cf.
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial62.html).
>
> 3. Close OE.
>
> 4. In Windows Explorer, navigate to your store folder, find & delete
> the files Outbox.dbx, Sent Items.dbx, and Deleted Items.dbx.
>
> To avoid such problems in the future, adhere to the following caveats:
>
> - Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages.  Move them to
> local folders created for this purpose.
>
> - Empty Deleted Items folder daily.
>
> - Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working
> offline".  More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm
>
> - Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not
> attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if
> Automatic Compacting is taking place.
>
> - Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application.  It can cause
> corruption (i.e., loss of messages) and provides no additional
> protection:
>
>     Why you don't need your anti-virus to scan your email
>     http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tutorials/email-scanning/index.htm
>

> On May 21, 2:26 am, "Guv Bob" <brotherd...@YEEEEOOOOWWWbigfoot.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> My in-box folder was getting too large, so I deleted about 3/4 of the
>> emails but still the DBX folder shows the same size - 200MB. I tried to
>> compress it and it says there is not enough hard drive space (I have 900
>> MB of empty space).
>>
>> Any idea how to reduce the size of the inbox?

0
PA

SP2 Issue on Sharing a Money 2005 File
One of the features I was interesting in with Money 2005 was the ability to share the file with another .NET Passport. I can't make this work. First Microsoft Technical support confirmed that having Windows XP SP2 installed causes a problem - I would just get the rotating arrow and no box to enter the 2nd .NET Passport. I then installed Money on 2 different machines with Windows XP SP1, and tried again, even starting with a brand new Money file and new .NET Passports. I was able to go further, but after inputing the 2nd .NET Passport, then being asked to sign in, I got that s...

Stand Alone Program to start Excel files
Hi, I am not sure if this is the right group! Is it possible to have a stand alone program (exe file for example) using Visual Basic so as to: when the program starts it has a menu with 12 names each name corresponds to an Excel file in the same folder. Khalil Handal wrote: > Hi, > I am not sure if this is the right group! > Is it possible to have a stand alone program (exe file for example) using > Visual Basic so as to: > when the program starts it has a menu with 12 names each name corresponds to > an Excel file in the same folder. > > > > Suggest ...

Maximum mailbox size in E2K3??
I am running into a problem with a user. I am migrating the client from Groupwise to E2K3 Enterprise. Outlook 2003. Not in cached mode. After importing all Groupwise mail, the mailbox size is about 2.2 gigs. When I send and receive, I get an error about maximum mailbox size. There are no limits set on the store. Is there a 2 gig limit on individual mailboxes on E2K3??? Not a PST. A mailbox. This would be news to me, as I have certainly had mailboxes larger than that in E2K. I try to set a limit on the store larger than 2 gigs and I get a message saying that the value must ...

Importing a large pdf file into Publisher
I often need to add .pdf files as an appendix to the end of my Publisher document, I would like to import an entire .pdf file into Publisher. Does anyone know of a conversion program I could use. I would really like it if the pages were added automatically since some of the documents are 200+ pages and doing manually would be tedious. Thanks Wouldn't it be simpler to convert the Publisher files to PDF? all you can do with PDFs is save them as EPS files and then open them in Publisher as you would a picture. However there is a catch! Even if you save the PDF files as EPS files w...

How do I share an Excell file (.xls) with someone with only Acces.
I have MS Office Small Buisness Edition 2003, and I just realized it doesn't have Access. I share files with a friend who has an older version of MS Office, and she can't open the .xls files I'm sending her. We used to share ..mdb files. Now what? Thanks. Use Save As (instead of Save) to save your XLS file in the format of a previous version. You can go all the way back to Excel version 2.1. On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 21:01:02 -0700, "faisan10" <faisan10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have MS Office Small Buisness Edition 2003, and I just realized it doe...

Combobox dropdown list size on Vista
I'm testing our app on Vista and discovered problems with the size of the dropdown list of our comboboxes. The dropdown list is always the minimum size (enough to hold a single item) on Vista. We set the combobox size correctly and they work fine on Win2000 and WinXP. Our comboboxes are owner-drawn, so that is probably the cause, but I'm not sure how to fix it. I'm not sure what would be different on Vista (I've run lots of programs and not seen this problem), but maybe you could post some of the code for your combo box (specifically where it's drawn) and that might ...

Files not opening from Web Server
We have some excel files on our web server that we link to from various webpages. Almost all of our users can get to these files without any problem when they click the link in Internet Explorer, but for a handful of users when they click the link nothing happens or it just opens up a second blank explorer window. There is never any kind of error message or anything. Has anyone seen this before or know the cause or fix for it? It does seem like most people that have this problem are running WinXP, but I'm not sure of each of their Office versions. TIA ============== Joe Reazor Gorbel...

Set Number of Previous Documents under FILE
When I open Excel and click on FILE on the menu bar, it only shows 4 previously opened documents. I want it to show 8-10 but can't find any options to change it. Can it be done? I have the student and teacher edition 2003. <Tools> <Options> <General> tab, Change number of entries by the "RecentlyUsedFileList". -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "Carolyn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote i...

10 GB Mailbox size limit /usr
Here's the dilema. Runnning E2k3, huge SAN 16 Terabytes, storage not an issue. I have about 50 users and would like to set the limit of each mbx to 10 GB /usr. I know that sounds weird but client wants this because of the nature of their biz. Can this be done; 10GB/usr? E2k3 gives an error when setting any quota above 2GB (not local .pst we're talking everything on server). Also what are the consequences of this? DB defrag? any utilities? a better solution? please respond anyone I documented how to do this here: http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2004/09/exceeding_20971.h...

The sheet path file name ?
Hi all , How can i edit in a cell a formula to retrieve the whole path of th sheet and not only the file ! Thank you veru much -- gaftali ----------------------------------------------------------------------- gaftalik's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=645 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=48453 If you can use a UDF in your workbook then you could use one like so Function FullPath() As String Application.Volatile True FullPath = ThisWorkbook.FullName End Function -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Sout...

How do I move/merge an Excel file to an existing MS Word file?
How do I move/merge an Excel file to an existing MS Word file? I want to combine all data into one file under word. Hi the easiest way would be copy and paste? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Excel to Word transfer" <Excel to Word transfer@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:78E2302D-3EC5-4B69-8DEF-524411297288@microsoft.com... > How do I move/merge an Excel file to an existing MS Word file? I want to > combine all data into one file under word. ...

All Mandatory Fileds
Hi, I have a worksheet where in there are 14 columns and many rows. I want a formula such that when entering any thing in any one rows all the fields (column cell) should be mandatorally field, if not the next field should not be allowed to be entered. Is there any way we can do this so that all the cell are entered. Cheers, Mandeep ...

emailing pdf files
I'm trying to launch a web-based business. I'm there, ready to go, bu I'm having some problems with my email. I have my accounting software setup to print my receipts to an adob pdf file, and it does so beautifully, but I can't send the darn thing I've tried several e-mail accounts, outlook97 & outlook express(v?) Outlook errored that there was "no transport provider available" whic is apparently a common error in OL'97, and I've tried all the fixe from the microsoft website that apply, but still no go. When I sen directly from a webmail account, it ...

Read a file into a _bstr_t
What's the quickest way to read a file into a _bstr_t. (its actually an XML file) -- Michael Tissington http://www.oaklodge.com http://www.tabtag.com Meaningless question. What is the format of the file? 8-bit characters or 16-bit characters? How large is it, that "quickest" has any meaning? If it isn't hundreds of megabytes, the topic is not even worthy of discussion, because disk rotational latency will exceed actual byte transfer time to your buffer by five or six orders of magnitude. And if it is 8-bit characters, it is also a meaningless question, because the ans...

Converting to PDF file
What is the best way to convert a publisher file to a PDF file? Iam publishing an email newsletter and want to create in Publisher. margy wrote: > What is the best way to convert a publisher file to a PDF file? Iam > publishing an email newsletter and want to create in Publisher. The best way is to export directly from Publisher 2007. However, as this product isn't available outside of beta yet, the next best alternative is to use a pro-level PDF converter such as Adobe Acrobat. The next best alternative to this is to use a free PDF converter such as PrimoPDF, available from ...

File open password removal
Hi, our corp hired a co-op that had issues with "creative license" and password protected a few Excel files before leaving. I'm currently running "ofice key" agaist them, but so far no luck. Any other ideas on how to get around this password? Thanks! Hi, guaranteed Excel password recovery could help http://lastbit.com/excel/ to know more about Excel passwords types and how to recover read http://lastbit.com/excel-article.asp Best regards, Tim Brad <none@themoment.net> wrote in message news:<v5b5a0hkok1oa5l9mmosehj8oi1b8kf79i@4ax.com>... > Hi, our corp ...

Recover Excel file
Hi Can anybody help me recover an Excel document that was corrupted by a HDD crash? If you ever stop posting this problem long enough to check proposed solutions, you could post a link to the file. Perhaps someone would have a look at it. DO NOT post to the ng. -- Greeting from the Gulf Coast! http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays "Peter Downes" <pjtdownes@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:bmkdjg$1csr$1@newsreader02.ops.uunet.co.za... > Hi Can anybody help me recover an Excel document that was corrupted by a HDD > crash? > > ...

excel And snap shot files
I have been send a large document in snapshot format . how do i work on it in XL if I inport it it just showes as code . A snap shot is just that. It is a picture of the Document. Have the file sent as an attachement. >-----Original Message----- >I have been send a large document in snapshot format . >how do i work on it in XL if I inport it it just showes >as code . >. > ...

Get a specific Program files folder
Hi! I made a Deploy project in VS2003. The setup copy a xla and a xlt a specific Program files folder. After the copy, i want to execute a .vbs that will copy and register the xla and the xlt. My problem is to get my new program files folder. Is there a vbs code that i can execute to get it? Thanks, Thierry Paradis. "Thierry Paradis" wrote in message news:emUEhMuPGHA.128@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl > I made a Deploy project in VS2003. The setup copy a xla and a xlt a specific > Program files folder. After the copy, i want to execute a .vbs that will > copy and register ...

CSV /Excel File disabled after opening from a network.
I just seems that when i open a csv or excel file from network or from my mail attachment , the file opens ia small window and i am unable to maximize it. only i can close or minimize it. I have WinXP SP2 installed,also i have run all windows updates but the problem persists.!!! with WinXP SP1 there is no problem with such kind of file. any body have any solutions for this problem... ...

How to Extract Data from a CSV file???
I need help on how to write a VB command that will allow me to extract data from a specified column in a CSV file. I have written a command in VB to extract all data from the CSV file and paste it on an excel worksheet. This method is working fine but because the file is too big, it takes a long time for me to extract everything. I only need the data from one column so if anyone out there can help me with this, I would be extremely grateful... Cheers ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly fro...

Shared Files using Pre-compiled headers
Hello, I have a file shared by multiple projects/solutions that uses pre-compiled headers. The plan was use something like this in the shared .cpp file: #ifdef _PROJECT1_ #include "..\Project1\stdafx.h" #else #include "..\Project2\stdafx.h" #endif This idea could be extend for more projects. The problem is that the compiler reports "unexpected '#else'" (or #elif or #endif depending on what preprocessor directive follows the "include "stdafx"". I have tried searches on the problem, but it isn't easy to boil down into a ...

Excel & 'file already open' message
When I try to open an excel file I had previously used I get the file already open message (I have already checked the option to 'ignore open files' in preferences). When I search for the file name I find them in my computer with internet explorer icons and when I click to remove them it asks me if I'm sure I want to remove the history file. I am just concerned that someone is accessing them online. I have Norton Internet security 2006 and no intrusions are detected. I also scan the files and do a virus scan. The file will open without the 'file open' error message after I ...

Re: Pub file to PDF (prior posts were re pdf995)
I want to thank the folks who reccommended primopdf. I worked with pdf995 for almost 3 months & finally gave up. Had to manually delete 14 files and 2 folders with Windows Explorer and clean up my registry with EasyCleaner after using Windows Control Panel 'Restore'. I now have primopdf downloaded and installed and my system looks clean. The primopdf writer did NOT replace my HP writer as pdf995 did. Maybe this one will work. I'm going to test it out now. Thanks, again. I really like PrimoPDF for ease of use. I use Acrobat to create my files but have tested Primo for ot...

Errors when opening .csv files
I have just finished upgrading to Office XP, and when I attempt to open a .csv file in Excel, I receive the following error message: "Microsoft Excel can't load the required converter. Microsoft Excel can't install the necessary files due to Windows Installer error 1605. This action is only valid for products that are currently installed." After I OK this error message, the file opens normally. Still, it'd be nice to avoid the message. The message is identical whether I double-click the .csv file to open it or I attempt to open it from within Excel. I have re-ru...