XML Format

I am looking for documentation on the XML format required to import Vendors
into Great Plains and to import Vendor invoices into Great Plains.  Is this
documented somewhere?  I already have the format for Sales but can't find the
format for these types of transactions and vendor information.   Our
requirements are very simple and we do not need the enhanced features of
Integration manager.
0
JeanH (13)

Jean,

Using what to import with?  The only "built in" tool to GP is the Import
Utility which only takes a flat csv or tab file and not XML.  So I'm pretty
sure that isn't what you meant.

So that leaves us with IM, Web Services, eConnect or a custom solution
written by another ISV or yourself.

As you mention specifically XML, I'm guessing you mean eConnect- in that
case you should refer to the schema document that ships with eConnect.

patrick
developer support

"JeanH" <JeanH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am looking for documentation on the XML format required to import Vendors
> into Great Plains and to import Vendor invoices into Great Plains.  Is
> this
> documented somewhere?  I already have the format for Sales but can't find
> the
> format for these types of transactions and vendor information.   Our
> requirements are very simple and we do not need the enhanced features of
> Integration manager.

0
prot1 (1345)
1/31/2008 2:36:06 AM
Hello Patrick,

Please tell me where I can learn about the csv format and what transactions
or tables can be loaded into GP from that type of flat file.

I am interested in learning how to do that.

My original message was referring to the Retail Management System import
into GP which uses an XML format but apparently is only good for General
Journal transactions.

I need to learn how to import A/P transactions and vendors.

If the csv format will support that, then that will work for me.

Thanks,

Jean

"Patrick [MSFT]" wrote:

> Jean,
>
> Using what to import with?  The only "built in" tool to GP is the Import
> Utility which only takes a flat csv or tab file and not XML.  So I'm pretty
> sure that isn't what you meant.
>
> So that leaves us with IM, Web Services, eConnect or a custom solution
> written by another ISV or yourself.
>
> As you mention specifically XML, I'm guessing you mean eConnect- in that
> case you should refer to the schema document that ships with eConnect.
>
> patrick
> developer support

> "JeanH" <JeanH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am looking for documentation on the XML format required to import Vendors
> > into Great Plains and to import Vendor invoices into Great Plains.  Is
> > this
> > documented somewhere?  I already have the format for Sales but can't find
> > the
> > format for these types of transactions and vendor information.   Our
> > requirements are very simple and we do not need the enhanced features of
> > Integration manager.

0
JeanH (13)
1/31/2008 3:02:20 AM
Jean,

To import from a CSV file.

If you open up the Vendor Maintenance window and click on
Tools->Integrate->Table Import. It will let you select a table to import, you
can select PM Vendor Master.

After you enter the ID and Description, choose Comma as the source file type
and select your CSV file and map the fields from the CSV to the Great Plains
Vendor Fields.

For Payable transactions, you will want to look at using eConnect for
importing if you don't want to use Integration Manager.
--
Lorren
Consulting Technology Lead

The views or opinions expressed in this post are mine and not those of
WennSoft.

"JeanH" wrote:

> I am looking for documentation on the XML format required to import Vendors
> into Great Plains and to import Vendor invoices into Great Plains.  Is this
> documented somewhere?  I already have the format for Sales but can't find the
> format for these types of transactions and vendor information.   Our
> requirements are very simple and we do not need the enhanced features of
> Integration manager.
0
zman (81)
1/31/2008 10:21:02 PM
Thank you. That helps us with the Vendor import.  I appreciate your reply.

I will look into the eConnect utility for the payables.

I presume that you can import GL Journal Entries with the csv import as well?

Is that true?  Or would it be better to use eConnect for that too?

Thanks,

Jean

"zman" wrote:

> Jean,
>
> To import from a CSV file.
>
> If you open up the Vendor Maintenance window and click on
> Tools->Integrate->Table Import. It will let you select a table to import, you
> can select PM Vendor Master.
>
> After you enter the ID and Description, choose Comma as the source file type
> and select your CSV file and map the fields from the CSV to the Great Plains
> Vendor Fields.
>
> For Payable transactions, you will want to look at using eConnect for
> importing if you don't want to use Integration Manager.
> --
> Lorren
> Consulting Technology Lead
> WennSoft Inc.
>
> The views or opinions expressed in this post are mine and not those of
> WennSoft.
>

> "JeanH" wrote:
>
> > I am looking for documentation on the XML format required to import Vendors
> > into Great Plains and to import Vendor invoices into Great Plains.  Is this
> > documented somewhere?  I already have the format for Sales but can't find the
> > format for these types of transactions and vendor information.   Our
> > requirements are very simple and we do not need the enhanced features of
> > Integration manager.
0
JeanH (13)
1/31/2008 10:46:01 PM
Jean,

I would not recommend trying to use that method to import transactions
because of the table layouts.

I would think it would be difficult to keep track of importing the header
record and the importing the lines.  eConnect can handle that much easier and
you could call eConnect from Excel if needed.
--

"JeanH" wrote:

> Thank you. That helps us with the Vendor import.  I appreciate your reply.
>
> I will look into the eConnect utility for the payables.
>
> I presume that you can import GL Journal Entries with the csv import as well?
>
> Is that true?  Or would it be better to use eConnect for that too?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jean
>
> "zman" wrote:
>
> > Jean,
> >
> > To import from a CSV file.
> >
> > If you open up the Vendor Maintenance window and click on
> > Tools->Integrate->Table Import. It will let you select a table to import, you
> > can select PM Vendor Master.
> >
> > After you enter the ID and Description, choose Comma as the source file type
> > and select your CSV file and map the fields from the CSV to the Great Plains
> > Vendor Fields.
> >
> > For Payable transactions, you will want to look at using eConnect for
> > importing if you don't want to use Integration Manager.
> > --
> > Lorren
> > Consulting Technology Lead
> > WennSoft Inc.
> >
> > The views or opinions expressed in this post are mine and not those of
> > WennSoft.
> >

> > "JeanH" wrote:
> >
> > > I am looking for documentation on the XML format required to import Vendors
> > > into Great Plains and to import Vendor invoices into Great Plains.  Is this
> > > documented somewhere?  I already have the format for Sales but can't find the
> > > format for these types of transactions and vendor information.   Our
> > > requirements are very simple and we do not need the enhanced features of
> > > Integration manager.
0
zman (81)

getting intellisense for custom XML
Hi: I have created an xsd from my xml document. I pop this xsd in the following directory: C:\program files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Common7\Packages\schemas\xml. That give me intellisense when I specify the name space. But leaving hte namespace in messes up my transforms. Is there any way to get this intellisense functionality without adding the namespace all the time? Thanks, Do "Don" <doduong12141214@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OqSHKb1lEHA.3632@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > That give me intellisense when I specify the name space. > But leaving ...

Date not Formatting
I have a column that was formatted as "Date" month, day, year (ex. October 10, 2001) and when I try to change the format to "General" the date changes to 37174. When I entered the data it was in the form of 10/10/2001. What do I need to do to get my original date format back in general text or get the October 10, 2001 to work? I ultimately need to export the data to a sql file and would like the date to be October 10, 2001. Thanks. If you format it the way it was (Mmmm dd, yyyy) and then use DTS (for SQL Server), the date will import properly To return to the ...

using a time format in a count function
I have a spreadsheet that has the following: A B C Start Time Run Day Run Time 11/14/09 12:20 AM Sat 12:20 AM 11/15/09 3:30 PM Sun 3:30PM The cells are formatted as: A= Date & Time B=TEXT(A2,"ddd") C=A2(cell reference with a time format) My goal is to count how many times the event occurred on a particular day of the week and count how many times it occurred during a time frame. EG Monday between 5:00 AM & 8:00 AM I have the count for the day...

Retaining style formatting when sharing documents
I have created a number of large documents using styles that I customized from Word 2007's existing styles. Our office doesn't use SharePoint, so if someone needs to review a file on the network, they just open it. However, if their Normal style is different from mine, when I open the document later I find that I have to re-apply the style formatting to the entire document. For example, if I use outline headings on the original document, when I open it after someone else has opened it, I'll find that the heading's formatting is lost. The style exists in the docume...

how do I filter on text format in Excel?
I have a workbook containing text that I wish to filter based on the format of some words. IOW, for instance, all records (rows) with cells containing text of a certain font color, or perhaps characters with the strikethrough mark. I'm relatively familiar with advanced filtering, but this appears to be something requiring a "filter by formula". Does anyone have any experience in this area? It is not in any built in function in Excel only way this would be possible would be to use a UDF (a function written using VBA) in a help column and then filtger on that help column pl...

Instantiating a structure array from XML in .net
Hey All, My app will have a structure array that will hold the parameters used to initialize a array of classes at run time to default values. XML looks like a good candidate to persist the data right? I'd like to have the XML file that persists the structure array. It would be nice to just initially author a XML file with my parameter values in it. It's a bit of a chicken/egg senerio. Is there any way to do this without first serializing the structure to get a XML 'template' file upon which to build? ...

date format being changed?
Why is it that in a particular Excel spreadsheet, whenever I paste "3/20/2008 9:34:00 AM" into it, I get "Tuesday, March 20, 2008" (or whatever)? How can I change this behavior? (I didn't create the Excel spreadsheet) Change the formatting of the cell. Select the cell. Then press Ctrl+1 and select the Number tab. Then select date. Then select the format you want. Instead of date, you can also select custom and create your own date format. It's also possible that whatever you're pasting has a format associated with it and it's that format you're s...

Can I save format changes to a Pivot Chart?
Once a Pivot Chart has been created in Excel I can edit the format of the chart (such as changing colors, lines to bars, chart type, etc.). Once I pivot to new information, however, the formatting is lost and the chart returns to its original format. Is there a way I can save the format so that the chart keeps the formatting even when I pivot the data? Hi, Some things yes, most things no: 1. To beat the color changing problem, choose Tools, Options, Color, and change the default chart colors at the bottom. This effects every part of the workbook. 2. Data labels can be retained, but n...

Date formatting in footer
How do I change the format of the date option in the footer of a worksheet? For example, currently it shows 8/9/06; how would I change it to Aug 8, 2006 or 9 Aug 2006 for example?. TIA You can make some changes in Windows Regional Settings to your short date format which is what Excel uses for the footer date. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:50:18 -0700, "computerguy" <computerguy394-news@yahoo.com> wrote: >How do I change the format of the date option in the footer of a worksheet? >For example, currently it shows 8/9/06; how would I change it to ...

custom format!
using custom format how can i format the number 12345678.91 as 1,23,45,678.91? i think it would be a simplest one! -via135 -- via135 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ via135's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26725 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=498408 From a Google search here is a reply by David Richie to the same question in January 2005 If you have Excel 2002 or later look up bhattext in help. Otherwise the following format might help you [>=10000000]##\,##\,...

Customizing XML Serialization
How do I custom serialize a class like this way. <rootelement attribute1="val1" attribute2="val2"> <childlement childattribute1="val1" childattribute2="val2"/> <childlement childattribute1="val1" childattribute2="val2"/> </rootelement> Thank you Regards Raj Raj wrote: > How do I custom serialize a class like this way. > > <rootelement attribute1="val1" attribute2="val2"> > <childlement childattribute1="val1" childattribute2="val2&quo...

Excel 2007 crashes importing simple xml file
Hi all, I have a problem with Excel 2007: it crashes when importing certain xml data, exported from another software This is the smallest file which reproduces the problem: <?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?> <ds_S3 xmlns="http://tempuri.org/ds_S3.xsd"> <tblTags> <StartDateAndTime>2000-01-01T00:00:00+01:00</StartDateAndTime> </tblTags> </ds_S3> The problem is caused by the StartDateAndTime value: importing this file works: <?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?> <ds_S3 xmlns=&quo...

xml hell
Have a problem when I use a datagrid and I update the data. The xmlwrite function writes grabage if the fields that have blank or null values. Any one know how to prevent this? I basically am trying to code the event that would handle someone trying to delete a record in the grid and have it update the xmlfile. Code: Say we have a grid two fields: servername and ip I delete all information in the grid and use this code to update the file: Dim Fd as stream fs = new filestream("c:\grid.xml,File.OpenOrCreate) xmlschema1.wrietxml(fs) fs.close() This works but it messes up the fi...

XML doc from TextBox specified SP Parameter
I am trying to create a VB form which will create an xml document based upon a text input box which relates to the @ItemNumber paramater within the SQL stored procedure. I have the create XML doc step which relates to my stored procedure to pull back a specific ItemNumber/set of ItemNumbers, and then sends it through an XSL for tranformation .... but I can't figure out how to add this to a windows form to where a text box can specify the ItemNumber(s) to pull?? Can someone help me out please, I am a newbie here and VERY lost in a swirl of code! Thanks in advance!! ----CODE-----...

Conditional formatting of date-cell
I would like to conditional format cells - in colors - containing a date if date in cell is before or after TODAY(). This is not - strangely - an option in the general Highlight date occurring... CF of Excel2007. How do I do this, then? I have tried greater/less than but it did not work. Additional question: I tried one of the possible options (Yesterday) this worked with date format dd-MM-yy but when I changed format to yy-MM-dd (which I would like to use) it did not work. How come? Any help appreciated! -- Best regards Ulf Select the range cell (say cell A1) Goto Home t...

Formatting X Axis Source Data
Hi, My x-axis consists of the years 2002, 2003 and 2004a. 2004a is supposed to be 2004(superscript a) but when excel pulls the 2004(superscript a) from the worksheet(source data) it shows up as 2004a on the x-axis. Is there any way to change this? I really appreciate your help! Nate - Individual characters within axis tick labels cannot have different formatting applied. So no subscripts. You can hide the regular axis labels, and replace them with textboxes, or the datalabels of a dummy series (see the links below), since these can be formatted character by character. The charact...

Path in XML
Hi, I am working with XMLDocuments, and i go through it with XMLNode, and i want know for each node the path in the XMlDocuments. For instance for this XML i want get for each nodes the following: testlayer testlayer/text1 testlayer/text1/text11 testlayer/text1/text112 testlayer/text2 and so on. How can i get with XMLNode objects in .Net Framework? or using another objects? Thanks, Cheers. *** Xml *** <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <testlayer> <text1>test1 <text11>test11</text11> <text112>test112</text112> </te...

Where is documentation for System.Xml.XPath.XPathQueryIterator
I am trying to find documentation for the System.Xml.XPath.XPathQueryIterater object which is being returned internally in the .Net XSLTransform class and which I cannot find any info. This object replaces the IXMLDomNodeList object that the MSXML4 XSL Parser uses. Help. Jus Thomas wrote: > I am trying to find documentation for the > System.Xml.XPath.XPathQueryIterater object which is being returned > internally in the .Net XSLTransform class and which I cannot find any info. > This object replaces the IXMLDomNodeList object that the MSXML4 XSL Parser > uses. It&#...

Help please? Formating a cell
I am greatly in need of assistance. I have made up a sheet with all of the information I need but I do not know how to get it to work. What I need to do is have the user enter a specific number representing a load in pounds (6500 for example) then I need to have that number divided by another number (this will be 425 consistently). Then I need to have the answer displayed so the user can compare it to a chart on the sheet and match up the correct structural component needed. I would certainly appreciate any help. I have very little knowledge of Excel so please make any responses dummy proof....

Protection and formatting
In a template I have limited formatting to a selection of styles. This works well. However, I have now protected the front page of the template so that it cannot be edited. Now when I insert a table (into the area that I can edit) it has lost the borders that are on the style. I have tried unprotecting, creating a new style, adding it to my list of styles that users can use, but to no avail. Can anyone help or explain why the formatting (all borders) has been removed on the table style? ...

Programatically format Axis Values
I have created a Chart control programatically. I set the minimum value of the horizontal axis by using the following code Axis ax = chart.Axes(XlAxisType.xlValue, XlAxisGroup.xlPrimary) as Axis; ax.MinimumScale = 10000.0; I need to change the format of the values displayed in the axis from number to currency instead of number. How do I do this programatically? How can I programatically give format code for the axis. Thanks in advance. ...

Macro to print document in Duplex format
I am trying to write a macro in a template (.dot) file to be used on 2000 documents based on it. The macro has code to print duplex. The code is give below. I get error 'Unable to set shared printer settings' while trying to assign printersettings. Isnt it the same like changing the Duplex setting in the print->printing preferances? Please advice. ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Option Explicit Public Type PRINTER_DEFAULTS pDatatype As Long pDevmode As Long DesiredAccess As Long End Type ...

Line chart formatting
Hi. I have a chart with 96 series, these series have around 76 data points each and are expressed in a line chart. I would like to be able to automatically colour the lines for each series based upon the name of each series. The names of each series are identified by the header of the particular column/row. Is this possible? I have looked through other questions on here, but they dont seem to be relevant to this particular case. Thanks in advance. James Seeing as Excel pre-2007 only has a 56 colour colour palette, how do you distinguish between them? -- HTH Bob (there's no ...

Loss of formatting when saved as .xls file
I have created a document in Excel 2007 with some normal cell formatting, such as bold text, merge & center, and border lines. When checked for compatibility no errors or messages appear. When the file is saved as an .xls file, closed, then opened again all of the formatting is completely gone and all that is left is text. I had this problem with another file but it was fixable becuase it did show compatibility issues that could be fixed. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated. ...

Cannot Format Data in Cell
What could be happening to a cell when this happens? It's a file someone else created in Excel. I attempted to center the data in the cell and I can't do that - I can't even changed the font. I can't figure out what's happening. There is no protection at all on the cells or workbook. HELP! Hi Karen are you trying the centering & bolding on the same piece of text ... check that you've actually got the text selected by checking as to what appears in the formula bar - sometimes text isn't where it appears to be .... if that's not the problem - can yo...