Window 2003 x64

All,

We're in the process of installing great plains and we just received our
window 2003 software but it came as x64 instead of the requested x86. I
understand that x86 is 32 bit and x64 is 64 bit. What I'm trying to find out
is there any benefit to installing 64 bit and are there any limitation or
issues with applications such as with SQL Server 2005 and  other.

Jamal

0
jma (41)

I use x64 server 2003 with x64 Sql05. One of the big advantages is additional
ram that x64 can address natively. You will need to get the x64 edition of
SQL to run it, though.
--
Gigabyte Tech

"Jamal" wrote:

> All,
>
> We're in the process of installing great plains and we just received our
> window 2003 software but it came as x64 instead of the requested x86. I
> understand that x86 is 32 bit and x64 is 64 bit. What I'm trying to find out
> is there any benefit to installing 64 bit and are there any limitation or
> issues with applications such as with SQL Server 2005 and  other.
>
> Jamal

The GP application is not compiled for a 64bit OS, so you won't be able to
install it on the server.  Some people are ok with that, some are not.

--
Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP

"Jamal" <jma@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
> All,
>
> We're in the process of installing great plains and we just received our
> window 2003 software but it came as x64 instead of the requested x86. I
> understand that x86 is 32 bit and x64 is 64 bit. What I'm trying to find
> out is there any benefit to installing 64 bit and are there any limitation
> or issues with applications such as with SQL Server 2005 and  other.
>
> Jamal

0
victoria (3340)
11/8/2006 10:45:27 AM
The monthly insights e-mail states that Great Plains 9.0 is now supported on
a 64 bit OS....refer to kb918983 in customer source for more info.

"Victoria [MVP]" wrote:

> The GP application is not compiled for a 64bit OS, so you won't be able to
> install it on the server.  Some people are ok with that, some are not.
>
> --
> Victoria Yudin
> Dynamics GP MVP
>

> "Jamal" <jma@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
> > All,
> >
> > We're in the process of installing great plains and we just received our
> > window 2003 software but it came as x64 instead of the requested x86. I
> > understand that x86 is 32 bit and x64 is 64 bit. What I'm trying to find
> > out is there any benefit to installing 64 bit and are there any limitation
> > or issues with applications such as with SQL Server 2005 and  other.
> >
> > Jamal

0
klewis6238 (163)
11/8/2006 1:38:01 PM
I must have missed that - thanks for pointing it out!!

--
Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP

"klewis" <klewis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The monthly insights e-mail states that Great Plains 9.0 is now supported
> on
> a 64 bit OS....refer to kb918983 in customer source for more info.
>
> "Victoria [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> The GP application is not compiled for a 64bit OS, so you won't be able
>> install it on the server.  Some people are ok with that, some are not.
>>
>> --
>> Victoria Yudin
>> Dynamics GP MVP
>>

>> "Jamal" <jma@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
>> > All,
>> >
>> > We're in the process of installing great plains and we just received
>> > our
>> > window 2003 software but it came as x64 instead of the requested x86. I
>> > understand that x86 is 32 bit and x64 is 64 bit. What I'm trying to
>> > find
>> > out is there any benefit to installing 64 bit and are there any
>> > limitation
>> > or issues with applications such as with SQL Server 2005 and  other.
>> >
>> > Jamal

0
victoria (3340)
11/8/2006 9:11:46 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses.

Based on the responses, I asked our great plain vendor about GP and 64 bit
and apparently its was recently released. I'm going to play it safe and wait
for GP 64 bit to be out there for a little while.

Thanks Again!

Jamal

"Victoria [MVP]" <victoria@flex-solutions.com> wrote in message
>I must have missed that - thanks for pointing it out!!
>
> --
> Victoria Yudin
> Dynamics GP MVP
>

> "klewis" <klewis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> The monthly insights e-mail states that Great Plains 9.0 is now supported
>> on
>> a 64 bit OS....refer to kb918983 in customer source for more info.
>>
>> "Victoria [MVP]" wrote:
>>
>>> The GP application is not compiled for a 64bit OS, so you won't be able
>>> install it on the server.  Some people are ok with that, some are not.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Victoria Yudin
>>> Dynamics GP MVP
>>>

>>> "Jamal" <jma@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message

0
jma (41)

Outlook 2003 News

Window Redirection?

Outlook 2003 #79

Help Required

Canadian Mergers 2003

Outlook 2003 with XP SP2

Filters in Excel 2003

Windows Server 2008 R2 04-09-10

Outlook 2007 Calendar -> Outlook 2003

PDA-Outlook 2003

Merge code issues with Publisher 2003

Excel 2003

Outllok 2003 reply with wrong account
Howdy - I have Outlook 2003. For some reason my new pc has started doing the same thing as my previous one. I have 5 email accounts. When a person sends me an email to my default account and I reply, it comes from another account. In theory (and it did until the last couple of days) it should come from the account I received the email in.... I change the smtp settings on the accounts as I travel a lot, but other than that I haven't changed anything that I know of to cause this - anyone had the same problem, or better yet - know how to fixt it???!!! Thanks in advance Ron ...

Word 2003: Will it work on Windows 7 Pro

My Money 2003
I am trying to join one of my checking accounts to my bank online. I have a user name and password for my my online banking account. When My Money asks for the password and username, I put them in (I know they work) but I get the reply, your password must be exactly 4 spaces and rejects my password. My online password for my bank is required to be 5. How do I accomplish this task if My Money won't take the password to link to my account on line? In microsoft.public.money, bec wrote: >I am trying to join one of my checking accounts to my >bank online. I have a user nam...