what's the point of crearting Sharepoing groups for BP?

Hello:

In Business Portal 4.0 and WSS 3.0, apparently, it does no good in creating
a group in the Users and Groups section in Site Settings.

We created a group called "EXECUTIVE" and added users to it.  But, those
users had no tabs or pages upon logging into Business Portal.  Obviously,
then, the only way to get them access to those pages is to place them in
several of the default groups that are already created for Business Portal.

That's fine, and I'm glad that I found that as the solution.  But, my
question is "What in the world is the point of creating a group in Sharepoint
(WSS) for Business Portal if you cannot configure that group to bring up this
tab or that tab or this page or that page?".  Again, if you place users into
that group, they don't have one darn thing in Business Portal.  It, also,
would be nice if the documentation for Business Portal would discuss the
creation of new groups.

Thanks!

childofthe1980s

Childofthe1980s,

Thanks for using the newsgroups.  As you stated, there are many out of the
box SharePoint groups that BP provides.  You can create a new group if you
wish.  You'll need to give that group access to the sites, page libraries,
and pages though.

1.  Go to the site you want to give your group access to.
2.  Site Actions > Site Settings
3.  Under Users and Permissions, choose Advanced Permissions
4.  Add your new group to the list.  Users that you add to this group should
now be able to see these sites, etc.

Thanks
Rob
--
Rob Bernhardt
Software Quality Assurance

"childofthe1980s" wrote:

> Hello:
>
> In Business Portal 4.0 and WSS 3.0, apparently, it does no good in creating
> a group in the Users and Groups section in Site Settings.
>
> We created a group called "EXECUTIVE" and added users to it.  But, those
> users had no tabs or pages upon logging into Business Portal.  Obviously,
> then, the only way to get them access to those pages is to place them in
> several of the default groups that are already created for Business Portal.
>
> That's fine, and I'm glad that I found that as the solution.  But, my
> question is "What in the world is the point of creating a group in Sharepoint
> (WSS) for Business Portal if you cannot configure that group to bring up this
> tab or that tab or this page or that page?".  Again, if you place users into
> that group, they don't have one darn thing in Business Portal.  It, also,
> would be nice if the documentation for Business Portal would discuss the
> creation of new groups.
>
> Thanks!
>
> childofthe1980s

Permanently open Group Schedule
Is there any way I can configure things such that a Group Schedule is permanently open, i.e. when I exit and restart Outlook? Not that I know of in any version of Outlook that supports group = schedules. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, Chris Mitchell asked: | Is there any way I can configure things such that a Group Schedule is | permanently open, i.e. when I exit and restart Outlook? ...

E2K3, Recovery Storage Group and BrightStor ArcServe Backup 11
Hi all. I'm sorry for a littlt cind of offtopic but I couldn't find any information from CA knowledge base. So I have a short question. Does anybody know if BrightStor ArcServe Release 11 (and it's Agent for Exchange) supports "Recovery Storage Group" option of Exchange 2003 ? I tried to make a test restore using Recovery Storage Group in my Testlab. After adding Recovery Storage Group om E2K3 server and configuring it I see this storage group in ArcServe's sources in backup job. But when I'm trying to restore the mailbox store backed up beforehand, I can't...

Routing Group Connections between Administrative Groups?
I have a question regarding the subject... since I don't have an option to try this for myself: When multiple routing groups and routing group connectors between them are used... how does one establish a rgc between routing groups that are handeled in separate administrative groups? Let's say that an administrator has full administrative permissions only within his given administrative group. If there are no two-way connectors established between the routing groups in other administrative groups the communication doesn't work, right? So am I right in concluding that the administra...

Pivot Table Grouping Issue
Using Excel 2002. I copied and pasted a pivot table to a new sheet, which I though would create a new pivot table in its own right. However, when I attempt to group some fields and hide the detail, this action is copied in the original table so I end up with two grouped tables rather than one grouped and one ungrouped as wished to have. Is this normal Excel behaviour and / or is there a workaround? (Incidentally, I used the copy and paste function rather than create a new table because I wanted to save some of the settings). Thanks in advance for any assistance. When you copy a pivot ...

OT: Google Groups not Threading
Notes on 25 May 2011 The "New Google Groups" UI does not thread correctly, but the old UI still does. From the old Google Groups UI there is a link to switch to the "new Google Groups" but I am not aware of a link to get from the new UI to the old UI. I just spent a few minutes trying to learn how to get back to the old google groups from the new groups .... and I didn't find a link to get there from here. The URL for the new UI looks something like this: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/�groupname� or https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/�groupname� https://gr...

Need combination Distribution List/Group.
I have the need to create a Distribution Group that I can added SMTP addresses to it, but this dristribution group needs to be able to be emailed from outside the organization. It seems that if I create a standard dristribution group, I can only add names to it that are in the address book. If I create a distribution list in public folders, then I can add an SMTP email address without it being in the address book, but this group/list is not addressable from outside the organzation. This is on Exchange 2003. Any ideas? Thanks Stacey Stacey wrote: > I have the need to create ...

IM-Group Integration-How to view errors
Hello, If I ran an integration as a group and it errors on me I'm not given the oppurtunity to view the log files as opposed to running a single integration. How do I/end user view the log files to verify the success/failure and errors? Thanks Jerry Jerry, If you set up your integrations to be saved to a file (you can specify the path when you choose this setting), they will be saved as text files and you can view them at any time after the integration is run. -- Victoria Yudin Microsoft MVP - Great Plains "Jerry" <woodjerry@hotmail.com> wrote in message ne...

Distribution Group Mambers are disappers in address book
Dear All, I have created many distribution groups . it was working fine . I was able to see members in Microsoft Outlook Address Book . Now I am unable to see member's list in MS outlook groups . some of the groups are showing members and some the groups are not showing members. if I am sending mails to the distribution group e-mail ID members are unable to recive the mails . I am able to see distribution groups members are in active directory . in the groups list . Please help me . ...

Deleting a group of customer cards
Our sales team creates our Debtor cards - but they sometimes dont check if a debtor is already created - then there will be two cards for the same debtor - I inactivate them as soon as I see this. I see there is a function to Mass delete inactive customers - but what happens with the transactions that are already on this debtor ? Nelia, In this case, the best approach is not to delete these duplicate customers (in fact, if you're keeping history, the system won't let you delete the customer without deleting their history as well), but to use the Customer Combiner tool to comb...

Routing Group connector problem
Hi everybody i have a strange problem in Exchange 2003 i have a single domain that is scattered accros 2 sites, Site A and Site B, in each site i have an exchange 2003 server. In Site A, i have exch1 and in site B i have exch2. Each site have a domain controller that is a global catalog, all servers are Windows 2003, and the domain is working in the Windows Server2003 mode, Exchange is working in native mode. The exchange servers are installed on member servers not on the domain controllers. My problem is as follow, after i setup a routing group connector to be able to send emails bet...

unable to open local users and groups
This is about a problem I'm having on 2003 Server R2. When I try to go into local users and groups, it has a red x over it and the display pane says "Unable to access the computer <ServerName>. The error was: Invalid Syntax." I've tried several things, but still have this problem. Some of the suggestions I've tried including copying over activeds.dll and activeds.tlb from a server that works and re-registering those, (obviously) rebooting the server, and running system file checker. None of these have solved the problem. Does anybody here have any o...

storage group won't mount
10 begin I'm having a problem mounting my storage group. When I try, get (in exch sys admin): Internal processing error has occured. Try restarting exchange system manager or ms exchange information store, or both. ID no c1041724 I try that, and same error. (I am trying to restart from an online backup) According to MS support, I see this (paraphrased) - check security/permissions on mdbfolder (all good here) - check for free space (check) - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;253931&Product=exch2003 (ah ha!) Results of eseutil /cc c:\temp\firsts~1 "Oper...

Help: OL 2007 Deleting group Calendar events
Anybody know how to delete a group event from my calendar without sending a cancellation? The all previous versions of Outlook would prompt me about sending an update - I could choose to delete without sending an update - to allow me to bow out of the meeting that is still going to happen. Outlook 2007 doesn't seem to allow this or is it a matter of holding down a hot key or some other trick? Thanks for any advice. OL 2007 on Vista ...

Pivot Table Groupings Fail if 1of the items isn't in the next data
I am Grouping items together in a Pivot Table and everything works fine until I use the next months data. For example, I have different types of earning codes and I am grouping as follows. Codes 1, 3 & 5 = Group A 2, 4 = Group B 6 = Group C If in the next pay period, I do not have any Code 4 Earnings, Group B looses the Group B name, and becomes '2'. It changes every pay period and I rarely have all codes in the same pay period. Hi Jerry Double click on the field Code, and select Show Items with no data. -- Regards Roger...

Group Detail on page if only 3 or less records, else allow to print on new page
In my detail section, I sometimes have 2 records under the header and sometimes up to 30. Is there a way to make sure when there are only 2 records that they are grouped with the header on a page, but if there are more than 2, then they are allowed to print on a new page? Keep Together|Whole Group leaves too much blank spaces when it forces a new page when many records under the detail section, and Keep Together|WithFirstDetail often splits the records when only 2. I'm needing a hybred between the two. Thanks, Jeff -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/...

Missing Exchange group
We just installed our Exchange 2003 server into our 55 Site. Though 55 I see 9 Sites. One of those sites only has an exchange 2000 server. When I look at the administrative groups in 2003, I only see 8 administrative groups. I looked for the missing administrative groups in adsi edit and it looks like a text file not a folder like the rest of the administrative groups. Has anyone seen this? Or have a way to fix this? Thanks,jb One of those sites has only an Exchange 2000 server? Then it is an Administrative Group? Is that the site you don't see? -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange ...

Using an option group to display a subform
Is it possible to use an option group to display a subform. I am looking to show subform1 if option one is selected and subform two if option two is selected. Is this possible? Thanks -- Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP "Jason" wrote: > Is it possible to use an option group to display a subform. I am looking to > show subform1 if option one is selected and subform two if option two is > selected. Is this possible? Thanks Yes it is. Use the option group's After Update event to make the source object of the subform control the form you selected. If Me.My...

Update Random Records in Groups
Hi Group, I am trying to update a random set of records within different groups in my table. Table Person Person varchar(64), SelectedForReview bit default 0, Region char(2), RandomNumber (int) or RandomNumber (int) default CHECKSUM(NewID()) For each region I would like to set SelectedForReview = 1 for a random set of records within the region.. The stored procedure would do something like: -- Create Procedure SelectRegionSample @SampleSizePercent (int) Begin Update top (@SampleSizePercent) percent Person Set SelectedForReview = 1 Group by Region...

Grouping on a report
I have a report with Group information. I want to group by the Group number. There can be multiple group numbers and I want each group number to have it's own page. I have the sorting and grouping set to group by GrpId. The Group on is set to Each Value, the Keep Together is set to Whole Group. My report is still putting more than one GrpId on a page. Any other suggestions? Thanks. add a group footer for the Grpid Close the Sorting and grouping dialog. In design view Set New Page to After Group for the group footer. Or in the group header set New Page to Before Group -- John ...

Groups in CListCtrl
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_001D_01C58984.271F2C90 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="koi8-r" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I try to create groups in CListCtrl: // ...filling m_ToolList with items... // then create groups m_ToolList.EnableGroupView(TRUE); LVGROUP gr; ::memset(&gr, 0, sizeof(LVGROUP)); gr.cbSize =3D sizeof(LVGROUP); gr.uAlign =3D LVGA_HEADER_LEFT; gr.mask =3D LVGF_HEADER|LVGF_GROUPID|LVGF_ALIGN; gr.pszHeader =3D L"Last used tools"; gr.cchHeader =3D wcslen(gr.pszHeade...

X Y Scatter With Point name on each point ?
I need to create a excel chart with three columns which are x coordinate, y coordinate and country name. I need a scatter chart, with point name labeled againt each point. e.g. In the below example, I need country name to identify each point in the chart. Pl. help ! x y Cname 1 5 US 2 2 Canada 5 7 Brazil 6 2 UK Hi, Create a xy-scatter on the first to columns of data and then use Rob Bovey's free addin to link data labels to cells. http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "...

entry point error
Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this annoying error message when I open Outlook? "The procedure entry point GetIUMS could not be located in the dynamic link library MSDART.DLL" On 10/22/2003 5:57 PM, Don wrote: > Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this annoying error > message when I open Outlook? "The procedure entry point > GetIUMS could not be located in the dynamic link library > MSDART.DLL" Try installing MDAC 2.8 from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6c050fe3-c795-4b7d-b037-185d0506396c&DisplayLang=en Alex -- ...

joining data points on graph
I am merging two graphs and one has 23 data points, the other has 9. The category axis will have 23 data points but the 9 points are spread out, i.e. they may be at points 1, 3, 7, 15 etc of the 23-point scale. At the moment the graph will only join points that are beside each other; how do I get them to connect to the points that have spaces between them? minihana wrote on Fri, 10 Feb 2006 11:29:04 -0800: m> I am merging two graphs and one has 23 data points, the m> other has 9. The category axis will have 23 data points but m> the 9 points are spread out, i.e. they may be...

How do I convert a Power Point template to Publisher?
I have found on-line a Power Point template that I would like to copy over to Publisher. Is this possible? If so, please walk me though it. Thank you. Copy and paste. (Please tell me that you don't need step by step directions for *that*.) -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Image Maker" <Image Maker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B98E20B1-E578-4032-B1CA-1C7867D8DB7B@microsoft.com... >I have found on-line a Power Point template that I would like to copy over >to > Publisher. Is this possible? If so, please walk me though it. ...

Grouping and printing labels
Using Access 2007. I have a very simple query with the following fields: FamID, FamName, StudLast, StudFirst, StudRoom, StudGrd I've previously created several reports based on this query, grouping on the FamID field, then sorting the students by their grade in the detail. Works just fine to pull into various letter-size documents. This is what I get: Page #1 Blah blah text FamName FamID 1StudFirst 1StudLast 1StudRoom 2StudFirst 2StudLast 2StudRoom 3StudFirst 3StudLast 3StudRoom Blah blah text Page #2 Blah blah text FamName FamID 1StudFirst 1StudLast 1StudRoom Blah blah t...