What ports to open on the firewall

Hi,

I am exploring using a terminal server or fat clients and am trying to
discover what ports need to be opened on the firewall in order to allow
remote users to access the server.

If I do not use Terminal Server then what ports will I need to open on the
firewall so that the client software can connect to the database server?

Also, is it possible to connect the database server and the client over SSL?

kwhalley@projects.sdsu.edu
0
KjWhal (1)

Unable to open Attachments (Environment Wide)
Going to post this in the Exchange group, as I havent had any luck in the Outlook group. This may actually be a server security issue, but I am a bit lost on a solution. We recently migrated to Office XP at our corporate office. Since the upgrade, I am having several complaints of attachments not openning. After researching the issue, it appears be random and the current solution is to forward the message to the receiver, and then launch the attachment. The attachments are not blocked and are simple Word, Excel and PDF files. The user receives no error. Double clicking the attachmen...

File will no open in 2000
I have a Excel file that was developed in Office 97 and I am useing office 2000. The error message comes up and says Microsoft Visual Basic.......An Error occured while loading Sheet...........Then it closes Excel!!!! I have other Excel files that were created in Office 97 and they work fine. I think the error has something to do with the VBS code that the micro is useing. Any help or advise will be greatly appreciated. Regards, Mr. "G" Try opening your file while xl is in safe mode. Close excel windows start button|Run excel /safe Then File|open your workbook. If you...

Excel 2003 - VBA
Hi Guys: A quick question on the "Workbook Open" event: When I load up Excel and open the workbook, this event triggers. If I then close the workbook, without closing Excel, then open the workbook, it does not occur. Close down the worksheet and Excel, then open it, it triggers. Is this normal operation? Could it have to do with the possibility the I had set Application.EnableEvents = False, before exiting the workbook. Craig Also put in sub auto_open() -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Craig Brandt" <brandtcraig...

How to set Excel to open a new window for each application
When I choose a spreadsheet to open, I want it to open a new window. This used to happen but now opens in the same instance, just hiding my original spreadsheet. How to I get it back to previous settings? Tools-->Options, View tab. Check Windows in Taskbar. ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Luke" <Luke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:052E3C3A-8A1A-4EB4-BE2D-B6E09D4D247F@microsoft.com... > When I choose a spreadsheet to open, I want it to open a new window. This > used to happen but now opens in the same instance, just hiding my ori...

XL97 changes filenames upon open
Hi All........... Just started today...........when I open any .xls file, either C drive or network, by doubleclicking in WinExplorer, the name of the file is changed by XL adding a 1 to the end of the filename.............then won't "SAVE" back to where I got the file from, wants to "SAVE AS" in MyDocuments with the new filename............. If I open the same files by rightclick-open in WinExplorer they open normally.............if I open XL first, the same files open ok also.......... AutoCAD and WORD files still open ok by double-clicking. This a couple of...

Personal.xls opens on startup...
instead of book1. How do I correct this issue? Normally, your personal.xls opens in the background while book1 is the default workbook. Now everytime I open excel, my personal.xls spreadsheet opens. I am using Office 2000 if it makes a difference. Thanks for the help. Sean When you have opened it, do windows>hide close excel and answer yes when asked if you want to save it. From now on everything should be back to normal -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Sean" <sean.osworth@lmco.com> wrote in message news:145201c3a885$091d0780$a601280a@phx.gbl... > instead of book...

Outlook hangs opening mail with Attachments
I have a client rinning Outlook 2003 & Exchange Server 2000. When she tries to open an email with an attachment it takes around 10 to 15 seconds to open. All other email opens just fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated! ...

How to open a *.pub without Publisher?
I received a document created by Microsoft Publisher, but I do not have that software. I wouldn't want to purchase this expensive software for the sake of this one document. Can I open the document in another application (say Word) to at least view and print it? Thanks for your help in advance, Gabor No. But if you'd like, you can send it to me and I'll convert it to a .pdf file for you. If you'd like, send it to jl dot paules at gmail dot com. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Gabor" <grevesz@gmail.com> wrote in message news:3af001c4ac19...

Opening Excel spreadsheet in MAC
I did a database of names and addresses in Excel 2000 and would like to share it with a Mac user. Any hope? To make matters worse, the Mac user is our secretary and others in our organization need to read her stuff too. As long as you saved your database as an Excel file, it will open fine in MacXL. Mac and Win Office file formats are identical for the last 4 versions of each. In article <98EEE2DC-7705-4EB0-ADB8-E0E999C82B0D@microsoft.com>, "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I did a database of names and addresses in Excel 2000 and would like to...

Outlook 2003 and opening link question
I'm wanting to change the way Outlook 2003 opens links/webpages - from opening them in Explorer to Firefox. Please guide me to where the option to change this is. Thanks in advance! There is no such setting in Outlook; set Firefox as your default browser. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "Ben" <bswong@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message news:%xboj.9252$421.7874@news-serv...

Network Path/Excel Open Dialog Problem
Greetings. I am using Excel's open dialog to locate a file that needs to be imported. The only way I have found to set the default directory for this dialog (so it is in the directory I want when the dialog opens) is to change the current directory to the desired directory, open the dialog and locate the file and then put the current directory back to the orignal directory when the dialog closes. Too much directory hopping, if you ask me... Is there an easier way to do this? Hi but this is the way how you have to do it :-) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Nny...

i can't open email with digital signature!
Hi sir, I cannot open the email with digital signature, and I got "Your digital ID name cannot be found by the underlying security system" error And the methods I have tried are follow: 1. Check the IE setting --does not work 2. Create a new profile--does not work 3. I have updated the 128-Bit Encryption Provider for Outlook 2000 SR-1.--does not work 4. Outlook safe mode--does not work 5. Try to open in OE--does not work, I can open but the body is empty. I am using Outlook 2000, Windows XP, Exchange account ( I am on the client side) Please give me some advise about this iss...

Outlook Express will not open
My Outlook Express 6 was working fine until yesterday. Now when I try to open it, I get a message that says "Outlook Express has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." It offers to send a report to Microsoft, but gives me no clue what the problem is or how to fix it. Any ideas? Thanks. This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.w...

Opening Page format
Using MS Publisher 2002, I want the opening page to show only a blank page, not a graphic showing - in a third of the screen - a selection of "scheme - options - designs" Help/advice will be appreciated. If it takes up a third of the page you must be using 640 x 480 - UNBELIEVABLE Go to menu Tools > Options tab General second item down - DE-select -- On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:44:07 +1000, "���MS�Publisher���" <donotknock@nobodyhome.com> wrote: >If it takes up a third of the page you must be using 640 x 480 - >UNBELIEVABLE I'm not. > >Go to me...

How to open registry file both ASCII and Unicode versions
Hi, In my program i need to open a windows registry export file (both older ASCII REGEDIT4 and unicode regedit 5 formats) and parse the file for my programs requirements. The project is not and cannot be built as unicode (for other reasons). Once the file is opened I need to parse the file, read keys + values etc... Question is how do i do this? I have used CStdioFile, open as typeBinary and then fgetws(wcBuffer, nMax, importFile.m_pStream) Which works for unicode files, but how do i test whether a file is ASCII or Unicode in the first place? Any help would be much appreaciated, T...

How do I open "document.fxr" (Windows fax message) from a PC in a Mac OS X???
Someone who knows, best regards Martin ...

Outlook only opens the 1st splash screen, never loads
I have tried every thing including reloading office, i can open the .pst file from another computer and it is fine. Any ideas??? Lynn Try renaming/deleting the file named outcmd.dat. (Note: This file is located in a hidden/system directory. Do not forget to configure Windows Explorer and/or the search option(s) accordingly.) "Lynn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:52b801c47414$4cb2ca10$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I have tried every thing including reloading office, i can > open the .pst file from another computer and it is fine. > Any ideas?...

OPENING EXCEL FREEZES COMPUTER
Not sure if this is the best newsgroup, but if there's a better one, I hope someone will tell me. My OS is Win98SE and MS critical/security updates are kept up-to-date. For the last few days, my computer has been freezing occasionally. When it freezes, the mouse still moves the cursor, but nothing else works (not even Ctrl-Alt-Del), so that a reboot is necessary. The only thing that causes this freeze EVERY time is trying to open Excel. It freezes when the initial small Excel display comes on the screen. Is there anything in Excel that might be causing this? All ideas gratefully rec...

Socket relared problem (getting free port number dynamically) #2
Hi all, i have one problem related to thread. i am having my main thread running which will on some event create a thread for validation purpose and then will start working. and now this validator thread will create a socket and it will bind to port 20111. and then will wait for client to connect. but before waiting for client to connect it will send a message to the main thread that validation is done. but in this way i need to stick with port 20111.which i really don't want. Is it possible for me to get a free port from operating system or from winsock library and then i should bind t...

Publisher 2007 will not open my old files
What to do? All of a sudden, my Publisher 2007 will not open any of my publisher files, even others done in publisher 2007. It crashes EVERY TIME. I have run Office Diagnostics twice, with no result. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2007 TWICE, still no change. Do I just abandon it and go back to Publisher 2003? I've run virus scans, defragged, tried other versions of these files, tried files done by others - NOTHING works. it will start a new project, but will not open an old project without crashing. Can I install Publisher 2003 and use it even though I have Office ...

Error when opening Webmail
When my external users use webmail for sbs 2003 with the settings set to Primium and they log in the straight away get the little yellow triangle at the bottom of the page saying 'errors on page'. But when I log in as Basic everything works, they really need to use Primium for the extra functianality. When I look at the errors they are as follows: - _______________________________________ Line: 15 Char: 30 Error: Object expected Code: 0 URL: https//ipaddress/exchange/user/inbox/? Cmd=contents _______________________________________ and ______________________________________...

Duplicate spreadsheets opening
I'm having a problem with a certain file in Excel 97. When I open the file and select "Window" it shows that 2 spreadsheets were opened with the same name. Can anyone help with this? KC Close one of the windows and then save your document. It sounds like you saved the file once with two windows open. Andy. "KC" <karen.carlisle@valero.com> wrote in message news:2a76101c3925d$8411d1c0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I'm having a problem with a certain file in Excel 97. > When I open the file and select "Window" it shows that 2 > spreadsheets we...

file is locked does not appear in Excel if file already open by an
We have shared files on a network drive. When a file is open by one user, and a second user opens the file we want them to recieve <filename> is locked for editing message and open the file read only. This works great for some users, but we have several users that can open the file (even if someone is already in it) and they do not get the prompt and can edit the workbook. Is there a setting that would turn this off for some users and not others in excel? Hello Leslie, You could try sharing the workbook. With the Excel workbook open, choose Tools from the menu. Choose Share W...

The options turn to grey when I open excel files at IE
If I use another PC. It's no problem. I use Office XP. Thank you very much! My first guess is that opening excel files inside might be the problem. But I just tried it (xl2002, MSIE 6.0, and win98), and the Options were ok (except for one--statusbar). So.... What options are you writing about? And if you are opening within MSIE, you may want to stop that behavior and just open in excel. >From a previous post: There's a setting in Windows that you can change. In win98, I can do this: Start Windows Explorer View|Folder Options File Types Tab scroll down to MS Excel Workshee...

Opening address book in Word to print labels & envelopes
When I try to open the address book in Word to print labels, I get a notice to log onto Microsoft Exchange. I do not understand what to do??? Post your Outlook version. Post the mail accounts you have configured for Outlook. State whether you have added the Outlook Address Book to your Outlook Profile. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Dolores" <fischere@midwestis.net> wrote in message news:25BF4DED-58CC-49B5-8DD0-2D8482BE6BC2@microsoft.com... > When I try to open the address book in Word to print labels, I get a notice to log onto Microsoft Exchange. I do not understand...