Version 8 functions that no longer require 'sa'

Can you please provide a list of functions/tasks that previously could only
be performed by 'sa' but now can be performed by DYNSA or other users.

0
PennyH (21)

Penny,

The GP v80 What's New pdf contains this information:  (Not much of list but
the only thing I've found specifically addressing your question)

 --  Reduce dependence on “sa” user
Dependence on the "sa" user has been reduced. (The "sa" user is the system
administrator account for SQL Server.) Most tasks that could be completed
only by the "sa" user in previous versions now can be completed by a Great
Plains administrator. Examples of these tasks include making backups,
creating companies, and creating new user IDs. --

Knowledge Base Article 873985 lists some areas requiring the "sa" login
through v7.5.  Other than the tasks listed above, the only other task appears
to be you can grant users Company Access logging in as "dynsa".

Hope that helps,
Claude

"Penny H" wrote:

> Can you please provide a list of functions/tasks that previously could only
> be performed by 'sa' but now can be performed by DYNSA or other users.

0
cfrymark (16)
5/24/2005 7:51:04 PM
I have attempted to create a new user as DYNSA but the save button is not
enabled therefore I cannot save the new record. I need to confirm if this is
a database security issue or Great Plains not working as it should.

"cfrymark" wrote:

> Penny,
>
> The GP v80 What's New pdf contains this information:  (Not much of list but
> the only thing I've found specifically addressing your question)
>
>  --  Reduce dependence on “sa” user
> Dependence on the "sa" user has been reduced. (The "sa" user is the system
> administrator account for SQL Server.) Most tasks that could be completed
> only by the "sa" user in previous versions now can be completed by a Great
> Plains administrator. Examples of these tasks include making backups,
> creating companies, and creating new user IDs. --
>
> Knowledge Base Article 873985 lists some areas requiring the "sa" login
> through v7.5.  Other than the tasks listed above, the only other task appears
> to be you can grant users Company Access logging in as "dynsa".
>
> Hope that helps,
> Claude
>

> "Penny H" wrote:
>
> > Can you please provide a list of functions/tasks that previously could only
> > be performed by 'sa' but now can be performed by DYNSA or other users.

0
PennyH (21)
5/25/2005 8:01:13 AM
Penny,

You're correct.  My test install shows the Save button grayed out.  However,
there is a fix.

Knowledge Base Article 856041 addresses users in PDK but it solves the
problem.

Running the following script against the DYNAMICS database will enable DYNSA
to add/delete users.

sp_addsrvrolemember 'DYNSA', 'securityadmin'

Run a backup of the DYNAMICS db first - just in case of problems.

Claude

"Penny H" wrote:

> I have attempted to create a new user as DYNSA but the save button is not
> enabled therefore I cannot save the new record. I need to confirm if this is
> a database security issue or Great Plains not working as it should.
>
> "cfrymark" wrote:
>
> > Penny,
> >
> > The GP v80 What's New pdf contains this information:  (Not much of list but
> > the only thing I've found specifically addressing your question)
> >
> >  --  Reduce dependence on “sa” user
> > Dependence on the "sa" user has been reduced. (The "sa" user is the system
> > administrator account for SQL Server.) Most tasks that could be completed
> > only by the "sa" user in previous versions now can be completed by a Great
> > Plains administrator. Examples of these tasks include making backups,
> > creating companies, and creating new user IDs. --
> >
> > Knowledge Base Article 873985 lists some areas requiring the "sa" login
> > through v7.5.  Other than the tasks listed above, the only other task appears
> > to be you can grant users Company Access logging in as "dynsa".
> >
> > Hope that helps,
> > Claude
> >

> > "Penny H" wrote:
> >
> > > Can you please provide a list of functions/tasks that previously could only
> > > be performed by 'sa' but now can be performed by DYNSA or other users.

0
cfrymark (16)
5/25/2005 6:42:16 PM
Claude,

Thanks for the info, it has partially answered my question.

I would still like a full list for what DYNSA can now do.

Penny

"cfrymark" wrote:

> Penny,
>
> You're correct.  My test install shows the Save button grayed out.  However,
> there is a fix.
>
> Knowledge Base Article 856041 addresses users in PDK but it solves the
> problem.
>
> Running the following script against the DYNAMICS database will enable DYNSA
> to add/delete users.
>
> sp_addsrvrolemember 'DYNSA', 'securityadmin'
>
> Run a backup of the DYNAMICS db first - just in case of problems.
>
> Claude
>

> "Penny H" wrote:
>
> > I have attempted to create a new user as DYNSA but the save button is not
> > enabled therefore I cannot save the new record. I need to confirm if this is
> > a database security issue or Great Plains not working as it should.
> >
> > "cfrymark" wrote:
> >
> > > Penny,
> > >
> > > The GP v80 What's New pdf contains this information:  (Not much of list but
> > > the only thing I've found specifically addressing your question)
> > >
> > >  --  Reduce dependence on “sa” user
> > > Dependence on the "sa" user has been reduced. (The "sa" user is the system
> > > administrator account for SQL Server.) Most tasks that could be completed
> > > only by the "sa" user in previous versions now can be completed by a Great
> > > Plains administrator. Examples of these tasks include making backups,
> > > creating companies, and creating new user IDs. --
> > >
> > > Knowledge Base Article 873985 lists some areas requiring the "sa" login
> > > through v7.5.  Other than the tasks listed above, the only other task appears
> > > to be you can grant users Company Access logging in as "dynsa".
> > >
> > > Hope that helps,
> > > Claude

0
PennyH (21)
5/26/2005 1:17:01 AM
Download the Great Plains Security whitepaper from
customersource/partnersource.

https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/products/greatplains/documentation/whitepapers/Microsoft_Great_Plains_Security_White_Paper.htm

Once you have that PDF, refer to the section titled "
New security features available in Great Plains 8.0 "

"Penny H" <PennyH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Claude,
>
> Thanks for the info, it has partially answered my question.
>
> I would still like a full list for what DYNSA can now do.
>
> Penny
>

> "cfrymark" wrote:
>
> > Penny,
> >
> > You're correct.  My test install shows the Save button grayed out.
However,
> > there is a fix.
> >
> > Knowledge Base Article 856041 addresses users in PDK but it solves the
> > problem.
> >
> > Running the following script against the DYNAMICS database will enable
DYNSA
> > to add/delete users.
> >
> > sp_addsrvrolemember 'DYNSA', 'securityadmin'
> >
> > Run a backup of the DYNAMICS db first - just in case of problems.
> >
> > Claude
> >

> > "Penny H" wrote:
> >
> > > I have attempted to create a new user as DYNSA but the save button is
not
> > > enabled therefore I cannot save the new record. I need to confirm if
this is
> > > a database security issue or Great Plains not working as it should.

Great

Robert,

Thanks for the lead.
I was unable to obtain the document due to security restrictions but my GP
support partner got it for me.
Hopefully my IT Manager can setup my rights as per the document and I will
be able to do most things under my own login.

Regards

Penny

"Robert C" wrote:

> Download the Great Plains Security whitepaper from
> customersource/partnersource.
>
> https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/products/greatplains/documentation/whitepapers/Microsoft_Great_Plains_Security_White_Paper.htm
>
> Once you have that PDF, refer to the section titled "
> New security features available in Great Plains 8.0 "
>

> "Penny H" <PennyH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Claude,
> >
> > Thanks for the info, it has partially answered my question.
> >
> > I would still like a full list for what DYNSA can now do.
> >
> > Penny
> >

> > "cfrymark" wrote:
> >
> > > Penny,
> > >
> > > You're correct.  My test install shows the Save button grayed out.
> However,
> > > there is a fix.
> > >
> > > Knowledge Base Article 856041 addresses users in PDK but it solves the
> > > problem.
> > >
> > > Running the following script against the DYNAMICS database will enable
> DYNSA
> > > to add/delete users.
> > >
> > > sp_addsrvrolemember 'DYNSA', 'securityadmin'
> > >
> > > Run a backup of the DYNAMICS db first - just in case of problems.
> > >
> > > Claude

> not
> this is

> list but

> system
> completed
> Great
> backups,

> login
> task appears

> could only
> users.

0
PennyH (21)

Longer Email Newsletters
I don't have a webserver to send my hyperlinks to. I'd like to link them within the document, but I've run out of space. How do you make the document longer, since email will scroll continuously? You can set the page size as "custom" and then add the appropriate length. This may not be the best method for the reader. However, since most ISPs give a subscriber a fair amount of Web space ('free') with their account, you could upload the docs to that space and point to it with your hyperlinks. Shared Web space is fairly inexpensive; in most cases you can get...

CCR disk requirements questions
Well this is throwing me off guys. We are planning a CCR environment. We have an EMC scan at our HQ that we plan to connect our primary mailbox server to. Our DR mailbox server is our concern. I was under the impression that the hardware didnt need to be "the same", but beyond that I was under the impression that they didnt even need to be "all that close" on performance. However, reading this doc: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/c5a9c0ed-e43e-4bc7-99fe-7d1a9cb967f8.aspx makes it seem like not only does the "passive node" (the server in the DR...

Time functions #2
Hi, I have to do some time calculations and I have a formula that outputs in minutes and I have to subtract a standard time to this number of minutes. For example, I have 8:00 AM in one cell and 20.68 minutes on an other cell. The output that I am expecting is 7:39 AM. Does anybody know how to bring an output like that by subtracting the minutes? Please help. Thanks With 8:00 AM in A1 and 20.68 in B1, use this formula =A1-B1/(24*60) Why does it work? Because Excel stores time as a fraction of a day. We convert minutes to days by dividing by 24*60 (24 hr/day and 60 min/hr) You could just u...

latest version of ms office for mac?
This is a repost as the last one got lost: I'm trying to find out what is the latest version of ms office for mac (OS X v 10.3.5). Anyone? TIA In article <e7dd3a52.0410060104.35b39f43@posting.google.com>, captainwow@hotmail.com (C.Wow) wrote: > This is a repost as the last one got lost: I'm trying to find out what > is the latest version of ms office for mac (OS X v 10.3.5). Anyone? Office 2004 ...

How can I add transaction while using the online version of money
Ok... when I first bought Money several years ago and installed it on my home computer, I could then login while at work via the passport and see the information that I had entered on my home computer. If I purchased something during the day I could go online and add the transaction which was great way to know at any given moment what my TRUE balance was in my account. Now when I check my Money account online from work I can see all the information I've entered at home but now there is no way to add a new transaction other then from my home computer where I have Money installed. ...

Type mismatch in 2007 but not in 2003 version
I have the following code in a vba code attached to a form: Dim rst As Recordset Dim dbs As Database Dim whatif As String Set dbs = CurrentDb whatif = "select * from PersonalDNC where HomePhone = '" & ThisPhone & "'" Set rst = dbs.OpenRecordset(whatif) When I run this 2003 mdb in access 2007 this works. When I convert this to a 2007 database and then run it, I get a "Type Mismatch" error. would I need to put [ ] around HomePhone. PersonalDNC is a linked table that points to a 2003 mdb. Would I need to conve...

Adding functionality to MS Outlook Express
Hi, I am looking for help to integrate anti-spam open source programs with MS Outlook Express :- - SpamPal - http://www.spampal.org/ - Spamato - http://www.spamato.net/ The problem is to provide a library that will facilitate this. I have read the MSDN Messaging and Collaboration documentation which gives the ability to get notifications of new messages and to access message folders :- http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms709546.aspx The next need is to add a toolbar (with buttons for SPAM/NOSPAM) and to detect what messages are selected in the message window. The MSOE...

Inserted rows, now need Counta function
Hi I've got a data dump. I've figured out how to insert a blank row after a change in name in column A and insert "Total" - so... bill.... bill.... bill Total - bob.... bob.... bob.... bob Total - What I need in column C next to total is to insert the COUNTA function for each person. Any ideas? cheers You say your code inserts a blank row after a change in name and inserts "Total", but your example doesn't show this. Can you post the code you are using to do your "insert"? It will probably be easier to handle the ...

trial version activation
I just downloaded and installed the trial version of visio 2003, but when I tried to activate it using the wizard, it keeps coming up with : "your product key is not valid, uninstall and enter a valid key" I got the PID from the download instruction email sent to me from the Microsoft website, so I can not understand why the product id is not working. Maybe it's case sensitive? Can someone please help? FYI...I do not have an answer...but have had multiple unsuccessful attempts this morning to activate a trial version. The first attempt was using a copy of the trial ...

Error: ".....doc uses a file type that is blocked from opening in this version
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel The file sent to me seems to be a 97 to 2004 version. I cannot understand why there would be any difficulty in opening a previous version document of word in mac 2008. I have tried changing the .doc file to a .docx but it doesn't work. Hoping for some help, thanks. How are you "changing" the file if you can't open it? Simply altering the extension does *not* change the file type & makes matters worse by misinforming the program as to what type of file it actually is. Make sure your...

If Function Possibilities
Is there a way to set up in a cell A1, something like... If the formula used in cell B1 is "here I would type the actual formula in," then display the words "works," else display "mistake" ? -- rheller ------------------------------------------------------------------------ rheller's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24081 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=377045 That's a pretty cryptic post. Do you mean: In A1: =IF(B1=n,"Works","Mistake") where 'n...

internet explorer 8, window visa
i put 8 on my computer,lot site would not repond,could not close them out.....dont like 8. i wont install again, on my computer. dont like w visa........................going to buy window 7...............................hope it work better ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "...

Writing Access functions
I am an old FoxPro programmer (but have been out of programming for many years) and I have been through the Access basics that I have been able to find on line. So I can create tables, forms enter data the basics. I am learning VBA no problem there. Now I want to write some functions. I would like to write one function that is passed an ID and returns the last name of the person having that ID. I would like to write this function in two ways: 1. Connect to a table in my DB find the ID and return the name 2. Have the function perform a query that returns a record set from which t...

reading file name from folder function
I am using Access 97. Just wonder if there is a fuction which can read all the file name from a folder and put it to a column in a table. Please let me know. Thanks. Hi. >I am using Access 97. Just wonder if there is a fuction which can read all >the file name from a folder and put it to a column in a table. Please see the getFileInfo( ) function in the tip, "How to compare the contents of two directories," on the following Web page for an example: http://www.access.qbuilt.com/html/vba1.html HTH. Gunny See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs. See http...

Function Keys in Excel
Can someone please tell me what the F2 key does in Excel 2000? I have a column of data which has been copied from Access 2000 into an Excel 2000 sheet. It is numeric data and when I use the "Countif" function on this data, it doesn't calculate. However, if I press the "F2" function key in any of the cells, something happens to the data so that the "countif" function recoginises it. Can anyone explain what is happening here? Thank you. -- LPS F2 allows you to edit directly in the cell, do you have calculations set to automatic under tools>calcul...

No Sponsoring - We Advertise
No Sponsoring - We Advertise - You Get $8,100 or else we continue to Advertise! Welcome to DollarsBlaster.com! You are invited to join one of the most rewarding financial ventures - online! There is nothing complicated to learn! The entire process is based on two ONE-TIME payments of $9 and a one time hosting fee of $7. But, as you'll learn very quickly, the revenue returned to you can range anywhere, up to $8,100, and above! Are you sick and tired of Sponsoring and Advertising? <O:P></O:P> Join us and we will keep advertising for you until we blast $8,100 in your Pa...

different versions
I created a calendar @ work with a higher version of Publisher. I am trying to access the file @ home, but I have 2000 and it says it can't open it. What can I do? You will have to save the calendar at work as a Publisher 2000 document. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "jabrjawz" <jabrjawz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:57F19583-7E3D-4EF3-B384-ABDA85A33AF6@microsoft.com... >I created a calendar @ work with a higher version of Publisher. I am trying > to access the file @ home, but I have 2000 and it says it can't open it. > What...

faq: type of CArray as function parameter create errors
Hi, class CMyPoint { public: long x; long y; CArray<int,int&> m_intSegmentNo; CMyPoint(); virtual ~CMyPoint(); CMyPoint(const long &xx, const long &yy); CMyPoint(const CMyPoint &cmpt); CMyPoint(const CPoint &cpt); CMyPoint& operator = (const CMyPoint &assmypt); CMyPoint& operator = (const CPoint &asspt); bool operator == (const CMyPoint &rmypt);//const CMyPoint &lmypt, bool operator != (const CMyPoint &rmypt);//const CMyPoint &lmypt, }; .... class CSegment { public: CList<CMyPoint,CMyPoint&> m_PointList; CSeg...

=?Utf-8?Q?BankMLM*_$50_pelo_cadastro_+_$2_?= =?Utf-8?Q?por_indicado_at=C3=A9_10_n=C3=ADveis?=
BankMLM* $50 pelo cadastro + $2 por indicado até 10 níveis Comments Bankmlm.com Olá Pessoal, Em pré-lançamento, novíssimo programa de banco online voltado para quem trabalha com marketing multinível (ou seja, a maioria dos negócios de Internet). http://www.bankmlm.com/gandagrana A empresa está preparada para ser o primeiro e único sistema de pagamentos online designado exclusivamente para participantes da indústria de marketing multinível! E não é só isso: Ela irá investir mais de 770 milhões de dól...

Upgrade 6.0->7.5->8.0 with PA
I am conducting a test upgrade from 6.0 to 8.0 through 7.5 with Project Accounting on a test server. The PA conversion to 7.5 took about 11 hours which is manageable but the conversion to 8.0 has already taken 3 days! and is still running. It has spent most of the time on one particular task and I wondered if anyone else has experienced this and if there is any way to improve the situation. All I can see from SQL Profiler is that the auto-procedure zDP_RM00401SS_1 is being called for each row of that table in turn sometimes many times for the same row. There are about 28000 rows and I&...

Report Writer Functions #2
Where can I find instructions and examples on the various report writer functions? I've installed the SDK but I don't see anything there. The Report Writer On-line manual (Help - Printable Manuals - Reporting - Report Writer) has a fairly good description of the functions in Chapter 6. Do you look there or is there a specific function that you did not find there for which you are searching? "Elaine" wrote: > Where can I find instructions and examples on the various report writer > functions? I've installed the SDK but I don't see anything there. Hi El...

=?Utf-8?Q?How_to_create_xml_file_from_xsd_?= =?Utf-8?Q?schema_and_xpath=C2=B4s_in_a.NET_webs?= =?Utf-8?Q?er?=
Hi, I want to create a .NET webservice which creates a xml file. I have the .xsd schema file and a document mapping xpath's to my db fields. I suppose I do something like first create the xml file from the schema file, then fill the xml file with values from database using the xpaths? Or how to do this? Sorry, I´m a newbe in xml files.. Siri wrote: > I want to create a .NET webservice which creates a xml file. I have the .xsd > schema file and a document mapping xpath's to my db fields. > > I suppose I do something like first create the xml file from the ...

Public Function not running
Hey, I have a public function that I call from a cell. The function is: Public Function QuitTime(strQuitTime As String) As Date Dim strHour, strMin As String Dim intHour, intMin As Integer Dim dtTime As Date strHour = Left(strQuitTime, 2) strMin = Right(strQuitTime, 2) dtTime = strHour & ":" & strMin dtTime = dtTime + Range("MainSheet!B2") ' this cell contains the value today() QuitTime = dtTime End Function Anyway, I run a vlookup on this array from another sheet and when ever i run that vlookup, it makes all the cells in th...

Question on "Value" function
In trying to use Excel to help solve a mathematical puzzle, I would like to calculate the result of applying the mathematical operator in one cell to the numbers in two other cells. Example: A1 contains 2, B1 contains +, C1 contains 3. In D1, create a formula that will give the result of 2 + 3, i.e. 5. I have tried (among many other attempts) =VALUE(CONCATENATE(A1, B1, C1)), but it gives me a #VALUE! error. What am I missing? Hi this is not possible without using VBA. try the following UDF: Public Function my_calculate(op1 As Range, operand As Range, op2 As Range) my_calculate = Ap...

Function for convertion of leters doesn't work.
I'm using function LOWER to convert string i my table on small size but Access gives me a message that the function is not defined.Please, do you know another function? MS Access does not have a LOWER function. Try LCase() instead. -- Cheryl Fischer Law/Sys Associates Houston, TX "Stenli" <svet2000@seznam.cz> wrote in message news:10b201c3626e$b613a050$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I'm using function LOWER to convert string i my table on > small size but Access gives me a message that the function > is not defined.Please, do you know another function? ...