Using SSRS in anticipation of v10 of GP

We're currently on v9 of GP, and I'm starting to look at using SQL Server
Reporting Services to build custom reports.

Is there anything I should/could do now in SRSS to prepare for the upgrade
to 10+ of GP? I'm looking for any hints or tips for things that I should do
(or avoid doing) now to make my life easier when moving to 10 and beyond.

--
Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager
HDA, Inc.  Hazelwood, MO

Well, here's my tale of woe...

I implemented SSRS and created a great folder structure based on company and
department.  When you use the wizard in V10 it wants to roll out based on
company and series.

I've downloaded the Montego SSRS report projects and can do manual rollouts
of selected reports BUT then I have to figure out how to get the entries into
the GP10 report catalogue so users can properly find them to add them to
their Home Page.  If you use the wizard this is done for you.

I have to do testing post go live V10 upgrade to sort this out.

--
Tim Foster

"Bud" wrote:

> We're currently on v9 of GP, and I'm starting to look at using SQL Server
> Reporting Services to build custom reports.
>
> Is there anything I should/could do now in SRSS to prepare for the upgrade
> to 10+ of GP? I'm looking for any hints or tips for things that I should do
> (or avoid doing) now to make my life easier when moving to 10 and beyond.
>

> --
> Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager
> HDA, Inc.  Hazelwood, MO
> GP 9.0, SP2
0
tfoster (136)
4/23/2008 8:56:09 PM
Can you (or anyone) explain how the Report Server folders are structured
after installing V10? I'd like to configure my custom ones so they won't
conflict with the default Microsoft GP setup.

"Tim Foster" <tfoster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well, here's my tale of woe...
>
> I implemented SSRS and created a great folder structure based on company
> and
> department.  When you use the wizard in V10 it wants to roll out based on
> company and series.
>
> I've downloaded the Montego SSRS report projects and can do manual
> rollouts
> of selected reports BUT then I have to figure out how to get the entries
> into
> the GP10 report catalogue so users can properly find them to add them to
> their Home Page.  If you use the wizard this is done for you.
>
> I have to do testing post go live V10 upgrade to sort this out.
>
> --
> Tim Foster
>

> "Bud" wrote:
>
>> We're currently on v9 of GP, and I'm starting to look at using SQL Server
>> Reporting Services to build custom reports.
>>
>> Is there anything I should/could do now in SRSS to prepare for the
>> upgrade
>> to 10+ of GP? I'm looking for any hints or tips for things that I should
>> do
>> (or avoid doing) now to make my life easier when moving to 10 and beyond.
>>

>> --
>> Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager
>> HDA, Inc.  Hazelwood, MO
>> GP 9.0, SP2

0
bcool (25)
4/25/2008 1:32:41 PM
The application install/upgrade of GP 10 is independent of SSRS.  SSRS only
comes into play when you install these specific reports.  The process calls
for running the installer on CD2 located in the \AdProd\SrsRpts folder.  This
installs a wizard which then deploys the reports on SSRS.  (2 step process.)
However, before deploying, download SP2 for the wizard and apply it, only
then deploy the reports.

I will echo Tim's observation that the reports are rolled out by company and
series.  You should also know that the wizard can deploy only to the root
reports folder and only when IIS listens on port 80.  Because of this, it
would be best if you avoided having the following folders in the root: "Data
Sources", "Report Models", "GPDB1", "GPDB2", etc. where GPDBx is a name of
one or more of your GP databases.  Other than this, you should have no
interference problems with your custom reports.

Once they are deployed, you can move the reports around if needed.  To link
to the reports, I typically create a shortcut in the user class to the
company, or even deeper, to the specific series I want to grant them access
too.  You enforce this by granting "Browser" permissions at either the
company or series level.

Hope this helps.
--
Laszlo Neufeld
Business Intelligence, GP Consulting, and Custom Software Development

"Bud" wrote:

> Can you (or anyone) explain how the Report Server folders are structured
> after installing V10? I'd like to configure my custom ones so they won't
> conflict with the default Microsoft GP setup.
>

> "Tim Foster" <tfoster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Well, here's my tale of woe...
> >
> > I implemented SSRS and created a great folder structure based on company
> > and
> > department.  When you use the wizard in V10 it wants to roll out based on
> > company and series.
> >
> > I've downloaded the Montego SSRS report projects and can do manual
> > rollouts
> > of selected reports BUT then I have to figure out how to get the entries
> > into
> > the GP10 report catalogue so users can properly find them to add them to
> > their Home Page.  If you use the wizard this is done for you.
> >
> > I have to do testing post go live V10 upgrade to sort this out.
> >
> > --
> > Tim Foster
> >

> > "Bud" wrote:
> >
> >> We're currently on v9 of GP, and I'm starting to look at using SQL Server
> >> Reporting Services to build custom reports.
> >>
> >> Is there anything I should/could do now in SRSS to prepare for the
> >> upgrade
> >> to 10+ of GP? I'm looking for any hints or tips for things that I should
> >> do
> >> (or avoid doing) now to make my life easier when moving to 10 and beyond.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager
> >> HDA, Inc.  Hazelwood, MO
> >> GP 9.0, SP2

0
laszlo (6)

is it any point using the interface IDisposable like I do here
Hi! Here I have a class named Team and this class implement the IDisposable interface. I just wonder is any point using the Dispose method on the data that I do here. The Dispose method is included at the end of the code. [CLSCompliant(true)] public class Team : IDisposable { private ArrayList teamList; private int teamSize; private bool disposedValue = false; public int TeamSize { get { return teamSize; } set { if (value <= 0) throw new Exception("Invalid teamSize <&q...

organize using color OL 2002
I'm getting this message "(you cannot add another color rule because you have exceeded the maximum number of rules for this folder)" when trying to organize inbox using colors in out look 2002. I can not find any referance on this anywhere. Can anybody help? ...

Creating a Stationary Style in Outlook by Using Publisher
I have been trying to create a page using Publisher 2000 which I can use as my default personal e-mail page. However when I try to send it to another email address it is not received as the original web page I created in Publisher. The 1st time I sent the message said I sent the page as an attachment although I didn't sent it as an attachment. The second time I tried to save the Publisher created page as a web page format and received a bunch of numbers and letters when it was received on the other end. Finally, is it possible to create a stationary style in Outlook using a Pu...

Creating Letter Activities using workflow
Hello, I have been trying to create a process using workflow rules where certain events will trigger a rule to create a letter activity. So far, I have had limited success. Some rules seem to work fine and some will be inconsistent in that they will either fire when they are supposed to or they won't. Most of the rules I have tried are based on a change of status to trigger them. For example, I have several rules that are supposed to create a letter activity when the opportunity's status is changed to "Won" When I look in Workflow Monitor, I can see the rules running...

Can't share my medialibary to my Xbox 360, using the extender func
Hi, I'm running vista SP2, but this problem has been running for quite a while. 1 1/2 year past. my mediaplayer 11 suddenly started rejecting sharing my media to my xbox. When i go to libary and click sharning, it shows up an error message who says: Can't start media sharing because of a change in a windows setting- or component. Click for help on the web if you need further assistance. I have tried every advise on the site, starting processes again and so on, but so far nothing at all has helped. Can anyone help me please. I think this problem could be solved if I r...

SSRS 2005 accessing SQL Server 2000 databases
I have been asked to upgrade a server from SS2000 to SS2005 so that SSRS 2005 can be used to create reports using the upgraded database. I maintain that SSRS 2005 can access SS2000 databases directly, so the upgrade may be unnecessary. Are there features of SSRS 2005 which are unavailable when creating reports from a SS2000 database? Be very specific if you are able. Thanks When talking about databases and version you need to consider two things. The database that the report is based on and the location of the databases used internally by Reporting Services. RS can report...

Using html format for hyperlinks
When I use the HTML format and then highlight the text in the e-mail, go to insert hyperlink, then type in the url, it does not display on the e-mail. I even sent out the e- mail to see if it can be viewed when sent, but this doesn't work either. Does anyone know what may solve this issue? ...

Using drop down lists
I'm trying to create a report utilizing a drop down list in Excel. I have successfully created the drop down list, (I'm using every Monday in January as my different items on my list) but now I want to enter different data using the same rows and columns for each specific date. This is just a worksheet that will be used on a weekly basis, I will only need to keep current week data, but I want to save the previous weeks' information just for reference. If anyone can guide me to what this is categorized under on the help page, I think I could figure it out. I'm...

Type mismatch error using Sumproduct
I've searched through similar topics and tried several variations of code, but I keep getting a type-mismatch error when trying to use Sumproduct. I am wanting to use this in several parts of my code. The first instance (which is also where the error keeps occurring) is below. With Worksheets("Hours") TotalHrs = .Evaluate("SUMPRODUCT((HoursCodes=ClassCode)* _ (HourStat=CliStat)*PeriodHours)") End With TotalHrs is dim'd as Single, ClassCode as String (either 4 or 5 characters long), CliStat as Integer (0, 1, or 99), and the rest as R...

Use this corrective update from M$ Corporation
--mqcsikgfcpjzbd Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="abkwklknlykfhz"; type="multipart/alternative" --abkwklknlykfhz Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="vpaenalnol" --vpaenalnol Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to help p...

need to delete a paragraph in multiple docs, cant use findreplac
I have a letter that is updated every year. There are 45 letters from a mail merge. I need to delete a paragraph and cant' use the find/replace because its too big. I have searched word help and can't find any solutions? Someone is very likely to suggest a cool macro to do this. But you could also try a wildcard find and replace. In the search box, type enough of the beginning of the paragraph to be sure the "string" is unique in the document. Then type *^13. Check the box for wild cards. This should find only _that paragraph_ and of course you can ...

Renaming a file using an input form
I have a table field that the user can input text into using a Form. I want to use: Name oldfilename As NewFileName action to change the name of a file based on what they input. I am having a terrible time getting the Name action to read (lookup) the table field name. I am getting runtime error 53 'File Not Found' Here is my code: Dim OldFileName, NewFileName As String OldFileName = "C:\ORCAS Backup\BackupORCAS.accdb" NewFileName = "C:\ORCAS Backup\" & DLookup("[BackupFileName]", "Company Name Table", "[BackupFileName...

Cross Tab Query to be used for calculations
I'm trying to use a cross tab query to get a total amount of money for a set of subgroup accounts. Once I have these totals (One total for expenses and one total income) I need to find the difference but the problem I keep running into is that sometime I may have an income but no expenses. example below - Group 1 (total amount income) 10,000 Group 1 (total amount expense) 8,000 Group 1 (total funds left) 2000 I can't find a way to get the 2000 using the crosstab query... anyhow would be great... Thanks Matt Post your SQL. -- KARL DEWEY Build a little - Test a little "Pulle...

Default Security settings for Exchange 2003 with OWA, PDA, RPC HTTPS using SSL
Need help! Getting conflicting information about how to setup Exchange 2003 using SSL, to support OWA, mobile access and RPC over HTTPS. I have a FE/BE environment. The FE server is behind a Cisco PIX firewall. By default the "Default Web Site" is checked to require SSL. I've read you have to disable this to make some PDA's/cellphones be able to sync with your server. (I don't want to allow OWA or RPC without SSL!) Also finding different information about how to set all the settings on the different Exchange folders (like Exchange, Exchweb, Microsoft-Server-ActiveSyn...

error while using case statement
Hi, I have to modify an existing query as below existing logic: and table.location in (select city from tablename1 where col=col) New logic: Now if the column table.loction' is null then I have to use the below logic select tablename1 CITY from tablename1 , tablename2 where =stn_id and tablename1 .id =tablename2.id if the column table.loction' is not null then i use the existing logic, i.e. and table.location in (select city from tablename1 where col=col) How can I incorporate this in my query. I planned to use a case statement, but I am getting errors in th...

Can I use a PowerPoint background in Publisher?
Is it possible to use a PowerPoint background in a Publisher file? If so, how? Right-click the background in PowerPoint, save background, you will have a variety of file choices. Insert into Publisher. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Buffy" <Buffy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5D60FFB2-8437-4CA3-BBF6-AA57F87A3E23@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to use a PowerPoint background in a Publisher file? If so, how? ...

Booklet used to print correctly #2
My company just updated to MS Office 2007. I have a small booklet in Publisher that used to print perfectly, now pages are upside down. I’ve read previous posts, even tried smaller paper. Ahhh, please help… When you say "small", do you mean 5.5 x 4.25? The service pack corrected this print error. Description of 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 2 (SP2) and of Microsoft Office Language Pack 2007 SP2 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953195 -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Pam" <Pam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:17339...

How do I use checkboxes correctly?
I want to have a list of items with checkboxes. If you check the box then it moves the item to the next sheet. I can sort of get this to work, however, when it moves it to the next sheet it is still on the same row as it was in the first sheet. How can I get the sheet to condense the items so that there are no blank rows?? You will need to keep a track of where the last row on the second sheet is. Something like Dim lLastRow as Long lLastRow=Worksheets("Sheet2").Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Row Then use the lLastrow variable in the range to place your data -- HTH Ni...

Excel formulas
Can anyone suggest any useful web sites for learning Excel formulas - or other resources would be fine. Thanks. Hi Of many that are available, a useful place to start would be http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqIndex.html and for a book list http://www.contextures.com/xlbooks.html Regards Roger Govier windsong wrote: > Can anyone suggest any useful web sites for learning Excel formulas - or > other resources would be fine. > > Thanks. To my knowledge, there is simply no one place where all the formulas are well explained. I have some formulas described with real-life sc...

using outlook with exchange server OR looking for new calendar pro
I am looking for a calendar program for our office. Here is my wish list of what I'd like it to do: Separate calendar per attorney Separate calendar per court Ability to merge all calendars to a master calendar to view and print Ability to print by attorney or court Ability to synch with or vies Outlook by attorney on his/her computer Ability to synch to PDA Any user may enter and change data Resides on network ability to post and access via internet Someone told me I might be able to accomplish this with an exchange server based program. Is this true? If not, can y...

cfgmgr32.dll is using obsolete deprecated CM_Detect_Resource_Confl
Hi, In my application (VC++ 2008 SP1 & WDK 6001.18000) I am using "Get_Next_Res_Des" to get device information. But the UMDH (User-Mode heap dump) call stack shows: CFGMGR32!CM_Detect_Resource_Conflict+00000065 CFGMGR32!CM_Get_Next_Res_Des_Ex+00000278 CFGMGR32!CM_Get_Next_Res_Des+00000017 ................................. And MSDN says "CM_Detect_Resource_Conflict:This function is obsolete and no longer supported in Windows 2000 and later versions of Windows. Use CM_Query_Resource_Conflict_List instead." http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms...

Use horizontal column titles in list box (VBA form)
Hi. I have a sheet with 10 data columns with titles like product id, product name, stock, price etc. I have named the range of titels col_titles. When I try to assign col_titles as the Row source of a list box in a VBA form, the titles will not show in a list, but appears when I set the colum count to 10... Is there a easy way to transpose a named range, so it will fit as a Row source for a list box? Alternative, could anyone give me the correct VBA code to popultae a listbox based on a horizontal "array" of column titles in a sheet? Any hints appreciated Kind regards Mr. S...

Replication in Access using USB drives.
How to program a replication of two computers with USB drives if you don't know what letter will a computer assign to a USB drive. Not sure I understand what you mean by "replication of two computers with USB drives", but you should be able to modify the code in http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0003.htm at "The Access Web" to determine which drive letters are removable drives. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://www.AccessMVP.com/DJSteele (no e-mails, please!) "Bigginer" <Bigginer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

Using OL'98 'Outlook Bar' to manage files performs illegal operation
I setup the outlook bar w/ shortcuts to different folders (local & network) so that I could use it instead of windows explorer. The first time I set this up, it worked fine for a couple of days, and now all I get is illegal operations when I click on one of the short cuts. OUTLOOK caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at 015f:bff9d709. Any suggestions? I've already tried the suggestions on MS- OL98 troubleshooting tips re: this problem. It fixed it for about 2 seconds. Looking for permanent fix ezroller ...