Using Advanced Security

1. We need to roll out some changes in security. What I want to do is make
changes to the user classes, roll these changes to the test system and
validate them, thereafter roll these changes to production. How can I roll
down class changes/copy class security only to one company at a time?

2. When we to use import/export functionality, while importing, should we
mark "only import non-default security"? What does this flag do?

0
jacktundra (359)

Hi Jack

The followin KB has lots of information that you will find useful.

https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;894705

Changes on a class are automatically rolled down to all users belonging to
that class for all companies that the users have access to.

If you want different security between companies you will probably cannot
use classes.  You can multiple select users and apply security to a group of
users, or get one user how you want and copy the settings to other users.

The following information might be useful as this explains the Only import
non-default security and Revert security first options.

What does Revert Security First mean?
-------------------------------------

The Copy, Rollup and Rolldown features of Advanced Security have an option
to revert security first.  If this option is checked, the target entities
will be reverted (access granted to original for all resources) before the
copying takes place.

The copying only copies non-default security, ie. security for which records
exist in the table.

So, if revert first is used, the target entity will have access granted back
to all resources and then the denied and alternate/modified security copied
in.  This will give an exact duplicate of the source security.

If revert first not used, all the security on the target entity is kept and
all the denied and alternate/modified security from the source entity is
copied over the top.  This will actually combine the security records for the
target and the source.  However, this is combining the non-default security,
so if access to one entity is granted and but denied in the other, the result
will be denied. For more information see the next question.

NOTE: Default security is for access to be granted to the original resource.
Non-default security is when access has been denied or access has been
granted to a modified, alternate or modified alternate version of a resource.

Can I merge security from two users or classes together?
While it is possible to combine security for two users and/or classes
together, it might not behave in the manner you wish.  When copying, rolling
down or rolling up security the Revert Security first checkbox controls
whether you are making an exact duplicate or whether you are combining the
security settings of the source entity (user/company or class) into the
target entity (user/company or class).

If you have revert security first selected (default behaviour) it will make
an exact copy of the source entity completely replacing the target entity's
settings.  This is because it will revert the target entity back to default
before copying.  Note: The default setting is access to all original forms
(with exception of the Advanced Lookup alternate windows in the Smartlist
dictionary).

If you do not use revert first, you will combine the entities but you are
combining the non-default security with the source entity's settings
overwriting the target entity's settings.  Please see the chart below for
details:

Source		Target		Result
--------------- --------------- ---------------
Original	Original	Original
Original	Denied		Denied
Original	Alternate2	Alternate2
Original	Modified2	Modified2

Denied		Original	Denied
Denied		Denied		Denied
Denied		Alternate2	Denied
Denied		Modified2	Denied
Alternate1	Original	Alternate1
Alternate1	Denied		Alternate1
Alternate1	Alternate2	Alternate1
Alternate1	Modified2	Alternate1
Modified1	Original	Modified1
Modified1	Denied		Modified1
Modified1	Alternate2	Modified1
Modified1	Modified2	Modified1

In summary, the Source entity's security settings will be applied, except
where it has access granted to the original. In those cases the security
settings will be left with the target entity's previous setting.

When using Import/Export, what does the Only import non-default security
option do

By default, with the Only import non-default security option unchecked,
Advanced Security will import all settings from the xml file thus making an
exact copy of the security in the xml file.

When the Only import non-default security option is checked, Advanced
Security will only import the non-default security from the xml file.  You
can leave the Revert security first option checked to ensure an exact copy is
imported, or uncheck the option to combine or merge the security settings as
described in the previous question.

Having both the Only import non-default security option and the Revert
security first option checked will produce the same result as having neither
option checked but may have better performance.

NOTE: Default security is for access to be granted to the original resource.
Non-default security is when access has been denied or access has been
granted to a modified, alternate or modified alternate version of a resource.

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Senior Development Consultant
Escalation Engineer - Great Plains

Micorosoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions)
http://www.microsoft.com/Dynamics

mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com

and confers no rights.

"Jack Tundra" wrote:

> 1. We need to roll out some changes in security. What I want to do is make
> changes to the user classes, roll these changes to the test system and
> validate them, thereafter roll these changes to production. How can I roll
> down class changes/copy class security only to one company at a time?
>
> 2. When we to use import/export functionality, while importing, should we
> mark "only import non-default security"? What does this flag do?

0
dmusgrav1 (1325)
10/16/2006 4:28:02 AM
thanks David.

So if I want the exact duplication of source security, should 'Only import
non-default security option' be checked or not?

"David Musgrave [MSFT]" <dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific
>
> Micorosoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions)
> http://www.microsoft.com/Dynamics
>
> mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com
>
> Any views contained within are my personal views and
> not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions policy.
> and confers no rights.
>

> "Jack Tundra" wrote:
>
>> 1. We need to roll out some changes in security. What I want to do is
>> make
>> changes to the user classes, roll these changes to the test system and
>> validate them, thereafter roll these changes to production. How can I
>> roll
>> down class changes/copy class security only to one company at a time?
>>
>> 2. When we to use import/export functionality, while importing, should we
>> mark "only import non-default security"? What does this flag do?

10/18/2006 1:03:45 AM
Leave it unchecked (default) for an exact copy.

However, you can also have it checked and revert security first checked as
well.  This will also produce an exact copy and will probably be faster.

So both options unchecked and both options checked give same result using
slightly different methods.

Having 'Only import non-default security option' checked and 'Revert
Security first' unchecked will combine entries.

To allow the ability to combine we needed to have the options set up this way.

"Jack Tundra" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Micorosoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions)
> > http://www.microsoft.com/Dynamics
> >
> > mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com
> >
> > Any views contained within are my personal views and
> > not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions policy.
> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,
> > and confers no rights.
> >

> > "Jack Tundra" wrote:
> >
> >> 1. We need to roll out some changes in security. What I want to do is
> >> make
> >> changes to the user classes, roll these changes to the test system and
> >> validate them, thereafter roll these changes to production. How can I
> >> roll
> >> down class changes/copy class security only to one company at a time?
> >>
> >> 2. When we to use import/export functionality, while importing, should we
> >> mark "only import non-default security"? What does this flag do?

10/18/2006 1:15:02 AM
what is the difference between:

a) Having 'Only import non-default security option' checked and 'Revert
Security first' unchecked
b) Having 'Only import non-default security option' unchecked and 'Revert
Security first' checked

> [...]
>> > security first option checked will produce the same result as having
>> > neither
>> > option checked but may have better performance.
>> >
>> > NOTE: Default security is for access to be granted to the original
>> > resource.
>> > Non-default security is when access has been denied or access has been
>> > granted to a modified, alternate or modified alternate version of a
>> > resource.
>> >
>> > David Musgrave [MSFT]
>> > Senior Development Consultant
>> > Escalation Engineer - Great Plains
>> > Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific
>> >
>> > Micorosoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions)
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/Dynamics
>> >
>> > mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com
>> >
>> > Any views contained within are my personal views and
>> > not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions policy.
>> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,

10/18/2006 1:32:59 AM
Jack

Situation b) Having 'Only import non-default security option' unchecked and
'Revert
Security first' checked cannot occur.

While 'Only import non-default security option' is unchecked, 'Revert
Security first' is unchecked and disabled.

There are only 3 options possible.

1) 'Only import non-default security option' unchecked and 'Revert
Security first' unchecked. This imports entire xml file and is the default
behaviour.

2) 'Only import non-default security option' checked and 'Revert
Security first' checked. This imports only non-default (changed) settings
but because it has reverted first produces the same end result.  However, it
may be faster.

3) 'Only import non-default security option' checked and 'Revert
Security first' unchecked. This option will combine non-default security as
previously discussed.

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Original Developer of Advanced Security

"Jack Tundra" wrote:

> what is the difference between:
>
> a) Having 'Only import non-default security option' checked and 'Revert
> Security first' unchecked
> b) Having 'Only import non-default security option' unchecked and 'Revert
> Security first' checked
>
> "David Musgrave [MSFT]" <dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Leave it unchecked (default) for an exact copy.
> >
> > However, you can also have it checked and revert security first checked as
> > well.  This will also produce an exact copy and will probably be faster.

> > So both options unchecked and both options checked give same result using
> > slightly different methods.
> >
> > Having 'Only import non-default security option' checked and 'Revert
> > Security first' unchecked will combine entries.
> >
> > To allow the ability to combine we needed to have the options set up this
> > way.
> >
> > David Musgrave [MSFT]
> > Senior Development Consultant
> > Escalation Engineer - Great Plains
> > Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific
> >
> > Micorosoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions)
> > http://www.microsoft.com/Dynamics
> >
> > mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com
> >
> > Any views contained within are my personal views and
> > not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions policy.
> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,
> > and confers no rights.
> >

> > "Jack Tundra" wrote:
> >
> >> thanks David.
> >>
> >> So if I want the exact duplication of source security, should 'Only
> >> import
> >> non-default security option' be checked or not?
> >>

> >> "David Musgrave [MSFT]" <dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
dmusgrav1 (1325)
10/18/2006 1:45:02 AM
thank you.
> [...]
>> > So both options unchecked and both options checked give same result
>> > using
>> > slightly different methods.
>> >
>> > Having 'Only import non-default security option' checked and 'Revert
>> > Security first' unchecked will combine entries.
>> >
>> > To allow the ability to combine we needed to have the options set up
>> > this
>> > way.
>> >
>> > David Musgrave [MSFT]
>> > Senior Development Consultant
>> > Escalation Engineer - Great Plains
>> > Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific
>> >
>> > Micorosoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions)
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/Dynamics
>> >
>> > mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com
>> >
>> > Any views contained within are my personal views and
>> > not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions policy.
>> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,

Performing two Advanced Filters in the same sheet
Dear experts, I have a range that I am using the Advanced Filter to hide amounts less than 0. On the same worksheet, further down, I have a different range that I want to use the Advanced Filter to hide amounts less than 5. Each of these ranges feeds a different chart. When I use the Advanced Filter on the second range, the first range shows all the data. Is there a way around this? Can I use Advanced Filter for each different range on the same worksheet and if so, how? Thanks in advance, Neal You can copy the filtered data to another location in one fell swoop, assume the tabl...

User Security Report shows accessible items as non-a
Hi, Tech Knowledge 37004 details a problem with User Security Report. It is not scheduled for a fix. I am able to fix the window security by individually checking off the problem windows and then selecting MARK ALL. I have not tested this at a Class level yet and also have been unable to get it to work for Integration Manager file access. My questions: 1) Has anyone come up with a solution to this issue, perhaps at the Report Writer level. 2) Why does sa not have access the the Alternate Great Plains Windows and Reports? What is the difference in these windows/reports? thx, Doug T...

Design Advice for Security in Access 2007?
Hello, I am new to Access 2007 but understand programming and have a fair amount of experience with VBA in Excel and Word, so I am hopeful this knowledge will prove to be useful in Access. I am about to start the design of a new Access 2007 application for tracking customers, their orders, shipping, etc. for a small company. I am thinking ahead and want to be able to secure the application to the best of my ability and within the constraints of Access 2007 and any other tools or utilities. I have read a lot of articles on this newsgroup about the .accde file and it being a means for a global...

iPhone inbox (using Gmail) and Entourage
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop Before I upgraded to Entourage 2008, I was using 2004 with (10.4) on an older iMac. I have an iPhone and use it for email. Previously, my email would come to my iPhone and when I opened Entourage, the emails on my iPhone would disappear. I've upgraded to Snow Leopard and Entourage 2008. Now, my emails don't disappear after I've opened Entourage on my iPhone. I have to manually delete them. I checked the settings and they're all the same. Can anyone help me figure out how...

Can I use an industry standard XSD and ADO.NET / SQLServer to output a conforming XML file
We have tentatively agreed with a supplier to exchange order information. The plan is to use an 'industry standard' order schema definition from say www.xcbl.org. Is there are simple way to use ADO.NET in this scenario. Ideally (naively) I would like to do something along these lines : 1. Create a SQLServer stored proc that returns a dataset (or similar) containing the order details such as : select PurchaseOrderID,ProductID,Qty from PurchaseOrder join PurchaseOrderItem...... 2. In a COM+ object (not entirely relevant to the problem, but this is how it will work), I would expe...

Strange error when using offline sync
A couple of users are getting the message below when bringing their laptop and logging on to the domain. First of all, does the message below mean that only items on "Deleted" items failed to sync, or the whole thing fail to sync ? I've seen article that may associate this problem to the server Symantec AV but I already stopped/started Symantec services and problem below still persists. How can I solve this ? Is this a back end related problem ? 16:12:16 Synchronizing Mailbox 'My user' 16:12:16 Synchronizing Hierarchy 16:12:17 Synchronizing Favorites 16:12:17 Synchro...

How do I send out a survey using excel?
Is it possible to build and send out a survey to a specific user group in an Office application? Most likely yes, but need more information in order to assist you "Mas" <Mas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0742EDFE-2A2E-46B7-967F-FC4DEF577F3D@microsoft.com... : Is it possible to build and send out a survey to a specific user group in an : Office application? ...

Using MBCS in a UNICODE defined project
Hi, my project has the UNICODE and _UNICODE macros defined. I want to display a lot of chinese text, and this is working well for me. However, within the code, I make a call to a function: TestFunction(char * input); I need to supply it with MBCS format. So I use a T2A().... TestFunction(T2A(input)); and all is good (assuming the string is english alphabet chars). However.. that "input" string is read from a text file. If the input string is something like this.. "abcdefgXXXhigjklmop" - where "XXX" denotes some chinese MBCS chars If i read that string my proje...

VAT report should be to print without using system password
Currently when print VAT report (used for UK), tools-routines-company-vat return, need to enter system password and then can print report. Should be able to print VAT report without entering system password. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.m...

Use arrows to navigate
I just got Excel 2003, and had a strange problem. The arrow keys no longer move the selection box; they scroll through the worksheet. Anybody know how to change this setting? I have looked in the help file, but could not figure it out. Matthew Any chance you hit the scroll lock on the keyboard? Just hit it again to toggle it off. Matthew wrote: > > I just got Excel 2003, and had a strange problem. > > The arrow keys no longer move the selection box; they scroll through the > worksheet. > > Anybody know how to change this setting? I have looked in the help fi...

Excel2000: Is there a way to use name as parameter for ODBC query from Excel table
Hi I have an Excel workbook where dates, started from 01.01.2003 and up to some year in future (2011 at moment), along with some other information (i.e. workday/weekend/holiday, working hours etc.), are listed. This table is read into another workbook, using ODBC query. But the problem is, that I don't need all those future dates. I can't use any functions exept MIN, MAX, SUM and COUNT in query from Excel files, but is there a way to pass a name as parameter. P.e. I define a name: CurrDat=TODAY() and use it in query's WHERE condition, like .... WHERE MyTable.Datefield Is Not Null...

security of the Money file
A friend is considering installing Money on a laptop. Suppose that the laptop gets stolen and that the thief manages to sign in to Windows. If Money has a normal password, and "Remember my password" is not checked, how secure is the financial information? Not terribly. Search the web for access password crack. "Paul Pedersen" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message news:%23B$aNxATIHA.5164@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... >A friend is considering installing Money on a laptop. Suppose that the >laptop gets stolen and that the thief manages to sign in to Windows. If &g...

Help with Security Ideas on new install
Good morning. We are about to install our first Exchange 2003 box and the question of security was asked by our brass. Keeping in mind that our owner (small company here) is against any access to our network (to date) I need some suggestions on strong security guidelines when setting up this box. Any sugggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Terry Security-Hardening Exchange 2003 Servers http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/E2k3SecHardGuide/faecb78b-8453-4192-966e-06b05d49103f.mspx -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/bl...

Trying to do Business Cards Using Publisher
I apologize for this, but my previous thread I think maybe was looked at as being closed so I wasn't getting any responses. Please excuse me for being a little impatient here, but I would just love to get some good advice here on how to solve my ongoing problem. So I just started a new thread, but it really is a continuation of my previous one under basically the same heading. It looks like I have a problem here. After I applied my 2 by 3.5 business card graphic to the blank business card template in Publisher by applying it to the Master page, it looked great online and when I p...

Letter Writing assitant to be used with Prospects
Would like to see Letter Writing Assitant to be extended to be used with Prospects. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=73b8a531-e5c3-4d8b-91ae-5b1758b9f1a5&...

Release Version.. using memory big.. because CString in class
Release Version Only Problem.. this simple.. class include member variable CString, make many object and free. but programe using memory size is big and big..(only release version, debug version is correct) ========exam code============== #include <afxtempl.h> class CObj:public CObject { public: __int64 a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h; CString sa,sb,sc,sd,se; }; void TestFunc() { CTypedPtrArray<CPtrArray,CObj*> m_array; CObj *p; for (int i=0;i<120000;i++) { p=new CObj; p->sa="123"; m_array.Add(p); } for (i=0;i<m_array.GetSize();i++) delete m_array[m_array....

excel chart size using inside positioning
Hi, I am trying to standardize the sizes of multiple embedded charts so I can copy the charts into Powerpoint. I can set the PlotArea ..Left,.Height,.Width,.Top numbers, but the left inside gridline of the chart still shifts a little inside the PlotArea, which I assume is related to the read only InsideHeight,InsideWidth, InsideLeft, InsideTop numbers. If you want to set the constant dimensions of the inside area, does anyone know a way to iterate through each chart to make these adjustments? Anyone responding to this may first want to check if there are any responses to the multi-pos...

Close Excel Completely Using VBA #2
Damn.......It does ask me if I want to save the changes. Can this be stopped by adding another code after the Application.Quit Hpoe you can help! Celtic_Avenge -- Celtic_Avenge ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Celtic_Avenger's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1410 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27391 Hmm, it is working for me. Make sure you make a call to Save right before this call. Also make sure you save any other workbooks that might be open. Also make sure if ...

Try on security pack
--gfeehlgjzk Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="fkancrzhtha"; type="multipart/alternative" --fkancrzhtha Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="uieecptxyxmpjn" --uieecptxyxmpjn Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Client this is the latest version of security update, the "November 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to protect...

Two seperate identities
Does Outlook have "From" field similar to Outlook Express when sending mail? I want a default email address but be able to choose second address EdwardH >Does Outlook have "From" field similar to Outlook Express when sending mail? >I want a default email address but be able to choose second address What version of Outlook? The menus are different for different versions. I do what you describe all the time. -- Brian Tillman Smiths Aerospace 3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS 1B3 Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991 Brian.Tillman is the name, smiths-aerospace.com is the domain. ...

Is there any way to use CView in Dialog Based App window?
Hi all Is there any way to use CView in Dialog Based App window? I want to use CView for drawings lines/rectangle etc etc Regards Nas You don't need the CView class. Just change your Dialog's OnPaint function and draw your lines and rectangles in there. Regards Guido On Jun 26, 5:43 am, "Guido Franzke" <guido...@yahoo.de> wrote: > You don't need the CView class. > Just change your Dialog's OnPaint function and draw your lines and > rectangles in there. > Regards Guido Ok...thanks for ur help...what will happen if i add button/ edit box etc an...

Automatically create trend table using symbols
Good evening, A client wants to create a table of data for a PowerPoint presentation, where tolerance to budget is indicated by a symbol: one symbol for <5% variance to budget; a second symbol for 6-10% variance to budget, and a third symbol for >10% variance to budget. Of course, it could be done manually but he wants to automatically insert a symbol for each of the three ranges. Is there an easy way to do this? thanks, Christine -- cmbl ------------------------------------------------------------------------ cmbl's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=geti...

Using text box enabled property on a continuous form
I have a continuous form with a text box that I would like to enable/ disable based on a condition within each iteration of the continuous form. I have a combo box that has a hidden boolean column. I want the text box to only be enabled if that column's value is -1 (True). I have VBA logic to change the Enabled property based on this that works fine, the only problem is that it changes ALL of the iterations of the said text box throughout the entire continuous form. Is there any way to localize this behavior only to the current iteration? Thanks! That was my impression of how they w...

Anybody using OWA 2003 and giving up on Outlook Application ?
Clearly, OWA 2003 UI looks very functional. We have Out2002 (application) and roll-out to Outlook 2003application would require lots of work. Any thought on suggesting people to stick to OWA 2003 instead ? Does that work well instead of rolling out Out application ? I guess we are moving toward a web services trend anyway... Marlon Brown wrote: > Clearly, OWA 2003 UI looks very functional. > We have Out2002 (application) and roll-out to Outlook 2003application > would require lots of work. > > Any thought on suggesting people to stick to OWA 2003 instead ? Does > that wor...