User Security

We are a highly regulated business and need to make sure we have user access
locked down tightly. I am using GP 8 and would like to start users with no
rights and add rights (some users will have very limited access), rather then
start with GP security which I need to remove rights from areas they should
not be in. What is the minimum security access i need to grant? I have tried
to set up security based on Article ID 858718, but get the error message "You
don't have security privlleges to open this window. Contact your system
administrator for assistance." After getting about 25 of these messages it
lets me in. I started with a user class that had all rights removed. Any
ideas as to what is still missing.
--
Chuck N
0

I had the same issue. While the artical tells you the security setting for
GP, it doesn't include how the setup your security for your third party
products. You will have to find out what the minimun security settings are
for your third party products from the software vendor (I know it is a pain
in the butt).

To make sure is it a third party product causing the error, I would startup
a GP with a stripped down version of your Dynamics.set file (take out and
non-microsoft modules) to make sure you can login with out any error
messages.

"Chuck N" wrote:

> We are a highly regulated business and need to make sure we have user access
> locked down tightly. I am using GP 8 and would like to start users with no
> rights and add rights (some users will have very limited access), rather then
> start with GP security which I need to remove rights from areas they should
> not be in. What is the minimum security access i need to grant? I have tried
> to set up security based on Article ID 858718, but get the error message "You
> don't have security privlleges to open this window. Contact your system
> administrator for assistance." After getting about 25 of these messages it
> lets me in. I started with a user class that had all rights removed. Any
> ideas as to what is still missing.
> --
> Chuck N
Use Advanced Security's By Menu view (with Accelerator turned on).  Deny
access to the top node of the menu tree and then add access back as required.

This will avoid denying access to lookups and system or hidden windows, and
so avoid the permission dialog.

You can also activate the security override option which allows you to fix
access issues on-the-fly using the System Password.

Please look at the Advanced Security FAQ for more info:

https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;894705

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Original Developer of Advanced Security
Senior Development Consultant
Escalation Engineer
MBS Support - Asia Pacific

Microsoft Business Solutions

mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com

and confers no rights.

"Chuck N" wrote:

> We are a highly regulated business and need to make sure we have user access
> locked down tightly. I am using GP 8 and would like to start users with no
> rights and add rights (some users will have very limited access), rather then
> start with GP security which I need to remove rights from areas they should
> not be in. What is the minimum security access i need to grant? I have tried
> to set up security based on Article ID 858718, but get the error message "You
> don't have security privlleges to open this window. Contact your system
> administrator for assistance." After getting about 25 of these messages it
> lets me in. I started with a user class that had all rights removed. Any
> ideas as to what is still missing.
> --
> Chuck N
0
dmusgrav1 (1325)
6/26/2006 6:00:02 AM
Unfortunately, Advanced Security does not allow you to turn off access to
the lists under the View menu which negates the purpose of turning off menu
access to modules/functions you do not want users to have.  In order to lock
down the lists under the View menu, you have to lock down the specific
windows to prevent access.

For someone who has been using Great Plains since version 3.10, this is a
serious flaw with the system.  What used to be a very simple and elegant
security solution - denying or granting access to menus/palettes - has now
been turned into a security nightmare.

Ta,
M. E. Houston

"David Musgrave [MSFT]" <dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Use Advanced Security's By Menu view (with Accelerator turned on).  Deny
> access to the top node of the menu tree and then add access back as
> required.
>
> This will avoid denying access to lookups and system or hidden windows,
> and
> so avoid the permission dialog.
>
> You can also activate the security override option which allows you to fix
> access issues on-the-fly using the System Password.
>
> Please look at the Advanced Security FAQ for more info:
>
> https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;894705
>
> David Musgrave [MSFT]
> Original Developer of Advanced Security
> Senior Development Consultant
> Escalation Engineer
> MBS Support - Asia Pacific
>
> Microsoft Business Solutions
> http://www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions
>
> mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com
>
> Any views contained within are my personal views and
> not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions policy.
> and confers no rights.
>

> "Chuck N" wrote:
>
>> We are a highly regulated business and need to make sure we have user
>> access
>> locked down tightly. I am using GP 8 and would like to start users with
>> no
>> rights and add rights (some users will have very limited access), rather
>> then
>> start with GP security which I need to remove rights from areas they
>> should
>> not be in. What is the minimum security access i need to grant? I have
>> tried
>> to set up security based on Article ID 858718, but get the error message
>> "You
>> don't have security privlleges to open this window. Contact your system
>> administrator for assistance." After getting about 25 of these messages
>> it
>> lets me in. I started with a user class that had all rights removed. Any
>> ideas as to what is still missing.
>> --
>> Chuck N

The design of the lists uses a single window for many lists.  So we cannot
control security against the list window itself.  The way lists were designed
was that if you can access the window which shows the data in Great Plains,
you can see the list.

To hide a list you must deny access to the windows which the data is also
shown in.  Please see the KB article below to see which windows control list
security.

https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;887951

David Musgrave [MSFT]

"M. E. Houston" wrote:

> Unfortunately, Advanced Security does not allow you to turn off access to
> the lists under the View menu which negates the purpose of turning off menu
> access to modules/functions you do not want users to have.  In order to lock
> down the lists under the View menu, you have to lock down the specific
> windows to prevent access.
>
> For someone who has been using Great Plains since version 3.10, this is a
> serious flaw with the system.  What used to be a very simple and elegant
> security solution - denying or granting access to menus/palettes - has now
> been turned into a security nightmare.
>
> Ta,
> M. E. Houston
>
> "David Musgrave [MSFT]" <dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Use Advanced Security's By Menu view (with Accelerator turned on).  Deny
> > access to the top node of the menu tree and then add access back as
> > required.
> >
> > This will avoid denying access to lookups and system or hidden windows,
> > and
> > so avoid the permission dialog.
> >
> > You can also activate the security override option which allows you to fix
> > access issues on-the-fly using the System Password.
> >
> > Please look at the Advanced Security FAQ for more info:
> >
> > https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;894705
> >
> > David Musgrave [MSFT]
> > Original Developer of Advanced Security
> > Senior Development Consultant
> > Escalation Engineer
> > MBS Support - Asia Pacific
> >
> > Microsoft Business Solutions
> > http://www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions
> >
> > mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com
> >
> > Any views contained within are my personal views and
> > not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions policy.
> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,
> > and confers no rights.
> >

> > "Chuck N" wrote:
> >
> >> We are a highly regulated business and need to make sure we have user
> >> access
> >> locked down tightly. I am using GP 8 and would like to start users with
> >> no
> >> rights and add rights (some users will have very limited access), rather
> >> then
> >> start with GP security which I need to remove rights from areas they
> >> should
> >> not be in. What is the minimum security access i need to grant? I have
> >> tried
> >> to set up security based on Article ID 858718, but get the error message
> >> "You
> >> don't have security privlleges to open this window. Contact your system
> >> administrator for assistance." After getting about 25 of these messages
> >> it
> >> lets me in. I started with a user class that had all rights removed. Any
> >> ideas as to what is still missing.
> >> --
> >> Chuck N

0
dmusgrav1 (1325)
6/26/2006 2:14:02 PM
But you should be able to secure the actual list menu item so that users who
do not and should not have access to anything in the Financial module, for
example, can be denied access to the Financial Lists menu option just as
access can be denied to the Financial Transactions menu, etc.  There is no
functional reason why these list options need to be under a menu, which in
not securable, separate from the module menus under which they belong.

> [...]
>> > and
>> > so avoid the permission dialog.
>> >
>> > You can also activate the security override option which allows you to
>> > fix
>> > access issues on-the-fly using the System Password.
>> >
>> > Please look at the Advanced Security FAQ for more info:
>> >
>> > https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;894705
>> >
>> > David Musgrave [MSFT]
>> > Original Developer of Advanced Security
>> > Senior Development Consultant
>> > Escalation Engineer
>> > MBS Support - Asia Pacific
>> >
>> > Microsoft Business Solutions
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions
>> >
>> > mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com
>> >
>> > Any views contained within are my personal views and
>> > not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions policy.
>> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,

Security Updates and DLLs Registration
Dear Team, We had a customer had a modification use ritchtxt.ocx. Everytime he apply a security update this OCX become not registered. So, he need to re-register it on every clients machine. He post for us the following updates and ask if these updates will effect the registry data for our OCX. The Updates are: Title: Security Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB920214) Description: A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to remotely compromise your Windows-based system. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Mi...

Bluilding Blocks.dotx not copying to users profile.
I have recently rolled out office 2007 using the cusomization file to 80 XP users. All has gone well except for one critical problem. I have had reports that page numbering isn't working and on further inspection i can see that gallery styles are also not fuctioning. The building blocks.dotx file is not copying to the users profile (C:\Documents and Settings\ user_name \Application Data\Microsoft\Document Building Blocks\1003\) which it should when a user first uses (or tries to use, as it wont work unless the building blocks.dotx fle is there) one of the said features of ...

windows user account permissions
Ok, I upgraded MS RMS 1.3 to MS Dynamics RMS 2.0. Also upgraded SOL to 2.0. Everything seems fine but when the cashiers try to run POS they are denied with error "Your windows user account does not have permission to write to the registry". This is a one lane non networked station. I do not want them to have user admin rights, but they need to run POS for transactions. Is this a fix outside of editing the registry? Yes, there is a workaround. Yes, this is a known issue and this has been confirmed by MS and no, you must edit the registry. I was able to re-create the Windows pe...

Excel / Access User Conference
The 2007 Midwest Excel / Access User Conference will be held on October 24-26 in St. Louis, Missouri. Early Bird registration will close on June 30th for the start of the regular registration period. Register early and SAVE! http://www.exceluserconference.com/MWEUC.html -- Damon Longworth 2007 Excel / Access User Conference London, England - Tentatively Sept. 2007 St. Louis, Missouri - Oct 17-19, 2007 www.ExcelUserConference.com/ ...

How to synchronise calendar and Contact with other outlook users ?
I would like to share and synchronise my calendars & contacts Actually i use OSASYNC to do this, but i saw that with the new version of Office2007, we can share documents (i do it for excel for example) Does anyone now the trick??? Thanks Fabien There are different options for sharing in Office 2007. First start by reviewing the option that are available by going to the Help menu and searching Share. This may answer your question if not let us know Best Regards, -- Francine Otterson Microsoft Outlook MVP President, San Diego Outlook User Group i see the help file, but it's ...

Use of ADMIN as user/account name
We have been using an email address with "admin" as the user/account name for customers to send general documents to. (in other words the full email address looked something lke this "admin@xyz.com") We will be moving to an MS Exchange email system and were told that you cannot use "admin" as a user/account name on an MS Exchange system because it will cause a variety of problems. Is this true? If so, what problems might occur? On 20 Mar 2007 08:09:17 -0700, "Lanranger" <mike.smith@accesseforms.com> wrote: >We have been using an email addr...

Outlook hangs upon startup for new user
I'm running Outlook from Office 2003 Professional on a W2K3 machine. I log on to the machine as the local Administrator, and then log on to Exchange using a domain account, and everything is fine. When I log on to the machine using the domain account and then run outlook (intending to log on to Exchange using the same domain account), Outlook hangs at the splash screen. - The domain accout IS a local administrator - There is no outcmd.dat file to rename for the domain user. I tried renaming the outcmd.dat file for the Administrator but that didn't help. Any ideas on what is happ...

Exchange
Hi, I would like to send e-mail with a lot of users, maybe more than 10.000 (partner list). Is there any users limit recepient in Exchange 2003 or any default number of users in BCC field? Thnx. Yes, there are limits. Look around on the properties of your Default SMTP Virtual Server and you should be able to figure out what your limits are set at. You also may want to take a look under your Global Settings, Message Delivery properties. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne Read my blog! http://winzenz.blogspot.com http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed) "Dan" ...

exchange 2003 auto delete users delete
Can I do something in Exchange 2003 so that users "deleted items" contents will be wiped out - deleted - after x days of existance? thanks, Set a Mailbox Manager Policy, http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF012.html -- John Oliver, Jr MCSE, MCT, CCNA Exchange MVP 2006 Microsoft Certified Partner "Raul" <jjkgr@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:vvExf.38371$v84.284@trnddc06... > Can I do something in Exchange 2003 so that users "deleted items" contents > will be wiped out - deleted - after x days of existance? > > thanks, > ...

New users can't access mailboxes
We have a single windows 2000 domain with an exchange 2003 server (2003 O.S.) which has been working fine for some while. The last user account I created was a month or so back which was OK , but I've recently created a couple of new accounts that are having problems. They can log onto the domain successfully , but when I try and set up Outlook 2003 for them I get an error "the name could not be matched to a name in the address list" I've tried two genuine users and a couple of "test" ones as well all with the same symptoms. If I try and send them an email I ...

VBA
In VBA, how I can avoid that a user add a new line in a grid thansk in advance Cesar Add the User ID (Toolbar) to your VBA project. Test for the user id before allowing the line to be updated and then you can keep them from doing it. Lelsie "Cesar" wrote: > In VBA, how I can avoid that a user add a new line in a grid > > thansk in advance > > Cesar ...

Email security settings
This cannot be done on my Outlook 2000 SP3, the Attachment Security click is not there!? "Change the Attachment Security Zone Settings To change your attachment security zone setting, follow these steps: On the Tools menu, click Options. Click the Security tab. Click Attachment Security. High security (recommended for all users) will warn you of potential security issues with attachments. None (not recommended) offers no protection from potential security problems. Use this setting only if you are sure all messages you receive are safe." I cannot view email attachments with...

Automatic Logoff/User Change
My issue is that the computer will automatically logoff and when I am returned to the login screen, the user is "admin" rather than the appropriate/current user name. Screensaver settings are not set for "prompt for password when computer resumes from standby". Any thoughts? Thanks Solana Beach Suite wrote: > My issue is that the computer will automatically logoff and when I am > returned to the login screen, the user is "admin" rather than the > appropriate/current user name. Screensaver settings are not set for "prompt > for ...

BCM max users/network setup
Have a client that uses BCM 2003 on an XP Pro computer as a (Server). We're going to move them to an actual server for better file sharing/ permissions control. Most of the users are familiar with BCM and I am not. Can you install it on a network and have it shared among the network of about 10-14 people. Can users be setup with different permissions such as read-only or full read/write to the bcm database? And if so can you point me in the right direction on the setup or what to look out for. Thank you in advance for any suggestions Try posting to microsoft.public.outlook.bcm for help w...

room
I would start to configure the room and equipement, but I have a must: A particular user should be authorized to move the meeting from room1 to room2. Is it possible? obviously all the membero of the meeting should be notified. If yes how can I do? ...

Two SMTP Addresses for one user?
Is it possible to have two smtp addresses for one user? How do i make it wirk? Do I need a new recipient policy? Thanks, Don Hi Don, just open your Users & Computers console, then edit the user/object you want to add a SMTP address to. See this pic : http://www.christensen-software.com/images/nu008.gif Raz. Don <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is it possible to have two smtp addresses for one user? Yes. >How do i make it >wirk? Do I need a new recipient policy? You do if the other SMTP address isn't in the same domain. If they're both in the same d...

User Security
We are a highly regulated business and need to make sure we have user access locked down tightly. I am using GP 8 and would like to start users with no rights and add rights (some users will have very limited access), rather then start with GP security which I need to remove rights from areas they should not be in. What is the minimum security access i need to grant? I have tried to set up security based on Article ID 858718, but get the error message "You don't have security privlleges to open this window. Contact your system administrator for assistance." After getting a...

Simple user defined function
Hi Please can anyone help I have created a Function CtoF(Centigrade) CtoF = Centigrade * 9 / 5 + 32 in theVB sheet1 code I have then placed the function = CtoF (A2) in the worksheet cell B2 A2 contains a number, the function in Cell B2 should convert the number in A2 to degrees Farenheit but it only gives me an error #NAME? I have the correct addins and checked the names of functions but nothing works please someone help. Hi there have you stored this UDF. It has to go into a standard module -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Subs" <atof31@dsl.pipex.com> s...

Sharing for User that has been deleted from AD
Hi, I would not be able to share object to active users since the owner/creator of the object had been deleted from AD. The error was the selected object could not be found. Verify that the object exist in both db and AD. The workaround that i performed was reassigned the record to new user. However, I still cannot remove the old owner from sharing form. In addition, when i tried to share with active user, the above error would come up again. Are there any solution for this issue? Rgd, Carrie Hi, I have the same issue that the users were deleted in the AD. We assigned all record t...

GP Security Report
Is there any way to get the User Name and associated User Class on the Security Report? Right now only the User ID shows up, with 200+ users it’s hard to remember everyone. I have tried customizing the report and the User Name and Class always show up blank. Any suggestions are appreciated! ...

User defined function returns imprecise value when used in worksheet
I want to create a function to return the gestational age of babies on their date of birth (DOB) with reference to the due date (the estimated date of confinement or EDC). The function I have at the moment is: Function Gest(DOB As Variant, EDC As Variant) As Single 'Returns the gestation in the form x.y where x is the number of completed weeks 'and y is the additional days, which can range from 0 to 6. ' 'The calculation is based on the DOB and the EDC, and assumes a normal pregnancy 'duration of 280 days, with the start being day 0 (not day 1). Dim Gest...

GP 10 Security Operation Table
I'm trying to locate the sql system lookup table for security operations. For example, if I grant permission within Task1 to "Account Analysis Defaults" I can see that a row is added to table SY10700 "Security Assignment Task Operations". However I only see a securityid field here with no descriptor. Any leads? Thanks! V9.0 and before had the same use of Dexterity resource IDs and had no SQL table with the data. In V10.0 they added the syCurrentResources (SY09400) table. Go to Microsoft Dynamics GP >> Tools >> Maintenance Clear Data Click Dis...

users who have left the company
Can you please help, is it possible to copy a users mailbox who has left the company and merge it with an existing user so they have full access to calander, inbox etc. Any help would be apreciated. Use exmerge, extract the contents of mailbox to a pst. Rename the pst file to the alias of the user where you want to merge the data and import this pst using exmerge. "psx1" <psx1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:52E2284B-F7AF-444C-BB1C-C1ED1CCEF7BA@microsoft.com... > Can you please help, is it possible to copy a users mailbox who has left > the >...

The Local Security Authority cannot be contacted
I have enabled in Active Directory restricted login to computers for various users allowing them to only log on to their personal workstations. Doing so has made it so they can no longer access the Outlook Web Access. When I set the user to be able to log on to all computers then OWA works fine. Does anyone know how to enable restricted workstation logon and still allow the user to access OWA. I did allow the user logon rights to the mail server, but that didn't work. The error displayed to the user is: The Local Security Authority cannot be contacted. There are no additional errors in the...

No email tab in user profile
There isnt an email tab after creating a new user in AD. Any ideas? "james jones" <jamesjones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >There isnt an email tab after creating a new user in AD. >Any ideas? Are there any "Exchange" tabs at all? If not, you haven't instaled the necessary DLL's on the machine. You can install the ESM if you want to. Doing that add the necessary DLL's and reisters them. -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm ...