Use Extender to add fields to G\L Transaction Line

I am migrating an in-house developed G\L system to Dynamics GP (GP). Our G\L
system has a description of 39 characters and an extended description of 50
characters. The G\L line description within GP line items is 31 characters.
Our users are very attached to the descriptive data and want me to migrate
the data into GP. Below are several questions and assumptions about using
Extender:

1. Can I use Extender to add a Description1 field of 39 characters and an
ExtendedDescription field of 50 characters to the G\L Transaction Line table
GL10001?

2. If I can add fields to GL10001, I then would need to add the 2 new G\L
Transaction Line fields from GL10001 to the Transaction Entry form and
probably remove the default description field as it isn’t long enough to
contain the needed data.

3. I will also need to be able to add the 2 new G\L Transaction Line fields
from GL10001 into FRx reports. FRx is a Microsoft reporting product.

4. Once the transaction is posted, does the G\L Transaction Line record move
from the GL10001 table to another table? If so, how could I insure that the 2
new fields would also be added to and transferred to other table when Post is
processed?

I looked at possibly adding a Note for the 2 new G\L Transaction Line fields
from GL10001, but it doesn’t look like I can add a Note to a G\L Transaction
Line item. I could add a note to a Batch or Journal Entry but not a Line
item. Don’t think we would want a separate Journal Entry for each Line item.

Can you verify that Extender can be used to meet our needs? Can you make
recommendations on how we could better accomplish our needs?

Thanks,
--
Lee Bright
0

You cannot add Extender window fields to the GP form.

You cannot use Extender data in FRx reports.

There are a lot of things you can do until you get to the FRx reporting
requirement. FRx can only pull data from the GL tables and AA tables.
Therefore, if you were to use Analytical Accounting, that data could be used
in FRx. However, you'd still have the inability to put those fields on the
transaction entry form.
--
Charles Allen, MVP

"Lee Bright" wrote:

> I am migrating an in-house developed G\L system to Dynamics GP (GP). Our G\L
> system has a description of 39 characters and an extended description of 50
> characters. The G\L line description within GP line items is 31 characters.
> Our users are very attached to the descriptive data and want me to migrate
> the data into GP. Below are several questions and assumptions about using
> Extender:
>
> 1. Can I use Extender to add a Description1 field of 39 characters and an
> ExtendedDescription field of 50 characters to the G\L Transaction Line table
> GL10001?
>
> 2. If I can add fields to GL10001, I then would need to add the 2 new G\L
> Transaction Line fields from GL10001 to the Transaction Entry form and
> probably remove the default description field as it isn’t long enough to
> contain the needed data.
>
> 3. I will also need to be able to add the 2 new G\L Transaction Line fields
> from GL10001 into FRx reports. FRx is a Microsoft reporting product.
>
> 4. Once the transaction is posted, does the G\L Transaction Line record move
> from the GL10001 table to another table? If so, how could I insure that the 2
> new fields would also be added to and transferred to other table when Post is
> processed?
>
> I looked at possibly adding a Note for the 2 new G\L Transaction Line fields
> from GL10001, but it doesn’t look like I can add a Note to a G\L Transaction
> Line item. I could add a note to a Batch or Journal Entry but not a Line
> item. Don’t think we would want a separate Journal Entry for each Line item.
>
> Can you verify that Extender can be used to meet our needs? Can you make
> recommendations on how we could better accomplish our needs?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Lee Bright
0
callen (2505)
12/10/2007 6:02:01 PM
1.	 No you cannot add extender fields to the GL distributions lines.
Extender is not capable of the correct linking to make this happen.
2.	You should consider Analytical Accounting. ( 30 character limit still
applies, but maybe you could break the data up in several dimensions)
3.	Analytical Account can be used in FRx.  You can create cubes in Excel too.
4.	AA transactions do follow the JE through all tables work/open/history.
You can use eConnect to import the history with AA codes.  Integration
Manager doesn't allow for AA.

Regard,
Debbie

"Lee Bright" wrote:

> I am migrating an in-house developed G\L system to Dynamics GP (GP). Our G\L
> system has a description of 39 characters and an extended description of 50
> characters. The G\L line description within GP line items is 31 characters.
> Our users are very attached to the descriptive data and want me to migrate
> the data into GP. Below are several questions and assumptions about using
> Extender:
>
> 1. Can I use Extender to add a Description1 field of 39 characters and an
> ExtendedDescription field of 50 characters to the G\L Transaction Line table
> GL10001?
>
> 2. If I can add fields to GL10001, I then would need to add the 2 new G\L
> Transaction Line fields from GL10001 to the Transaction Entry form and
> probably remove the default description field as it isn’t long enough to
> contain the needed data.
>
> 3. I will also need to be able to add the 2 new G\L Transaction Line fields
> from GL10001 into FRx reports. FRx is a Microsoft reporting product.
>
> 4. Once the transaction is posted, does the G\L Transaction Line record move
> from the GL10001 table to another table? If so, how could I insure that the 2
> new fields would also be added to and transferred to other table when Post is
> processed?
>
> I looked at possibly adding a Note for the 2 new G\L Transaction Line fields
> from GL10001, but it doesn’t look like I can add a Note to a G\L Transaction
> Line item. I could add a note to a Batch or Journal Entry but not a Line
> item. Don’t think we would want a separate Journal Entry for each Line item.
>
> Can you verify that Extender can be used to meet our needs? Can you make
> recommendations on how we could better accomplish our needs?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Lee Bright

Display Field Name as Text Listing if Value True from Checkbox Fields
Hi everyone! I have 40 or so columns in a table using the yes/no data type. Each record in the table represents an audit of a paper form. Those items filled incorrectly or incompletely on the paper form receive a check on an access form during the audit process. I would like to create a feedback form based on the audit record that displays a listing of fields that received the check boxes, or rather, were incomplete or incorrect on paper form that was audited. On the feedback form, I only want to display something like this: "Your form had the following errors: ErrorFieldOneName Erro...

Debit Transactions
Hi! It seems that RMS only prints one receipt after a debit transaction. Any way I can get it to print a second one for my records without having to go through F4? Basically I want the printer to print two as in a CC transactions but in this case the second receipt would be a copy of the receipt given to the customer. Best, Manny Manny, By default the credit card receipt doesn't print two copies. It prints a receipt with the items on it and a smaller, signature only copy without the items on it that you keep. Tree Killer! ;-) Why are you storing paper? Do you keep copies of ...

Install and set up the Microsoft Office Project Add-in for Outlook
The language used by the add-in must match the language used by Outlook. For example, if Outlook uses Japanese, the add-in must also use Japanese,and If the languages do not match, the add-in will not work. How can I download Japanese add-in for Japanese outlook for Microsoft project server 2007 that installed in Engilish? Have you tried the Project Language Pack 2007 SP1? http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=d322ba67-b199-4503-8aff-6813b320d708 HTH "Bahram" <Bahram@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...

link custom field to resource names
hello, i have created a custom field "Primary contact" is there a way to link it to the list of Resource names? maybe turn it into a drop down list? thanks "greg" <greg@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%23hSQ6HJsEHA.3396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > hello, > i have created a custom field "Primary contact" > is there a way to link it to the list of Resource names? > maybe turn it into a drop down list? > > thanks > > ...

can I add a link in Publisher to display, "join our email list"?
I am creating a fairly simply website and need to add a button for visitors to join our email list. Is this possible in Publisher? Please post your question in the web group and we will try to help you there: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign or http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign&lang=en&cr=US Always include the version of Publisher you are using, the URL of your site and as much detail as possible. DavidF "mfreecox" <mfreecox@discussions.microsoft.com> wr...

Creating a Combination Bar Chart with 2 Lines
I am trying to create a bar chart with 2 line series. The Y-axis for the vertical bars would be on the left and the Y-axis for the 2 line series would be on the right (3 series were defined). The horizontal axis for all series are calendar months (Jan, Feb, etc.) Every time I setup the chart my chart only displays a single line, ignoring the other line series. The vertical bars come out fine. Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong? Thanks Bill Falzone Don't use the built in types. Make the chart using all columns. Select a series that you want to change (click on it right in th...

Add the same field twice to a pivot table but filter one of them?
In my datasheet, I have a "cost" column and a "date" column so each cost has an associated date. In my pivot table, I've added the "cost" as a field, which shows the total and this is fine. However, I'd like to add the "cost" as a field again and this time selecting which dates to include in the cost number so that I have two cost fields side by side. Is something like this possible? Hi That is not possible in the same PT. You will need to set up a second PT based upon the same data set as the first but do NOT use the same Pivot Cache to save ...

Fire a Workflow using a Callout
Hi, I would like to fire a WorkFlow using a callout. I got problems to do that. Can you tell me how I can do that? I tried it like that: CrmService.ExecuteWFProcessRequest wf = new LetterSalutation.CrmService.ExecuteWFProcessRequest(); wf.ProcessId = GetWorkflowProcessId(workflowName, entityContext); myService.Execute(wf); But I get an error: Server was unable to process request. Can you help me? Simon ...

Use Copied Outlook PST file as default...How?
If I copy a PST file on my PC, how can I configure my Laptop Outlook to use that copied file as its default. Is it possible to copy new Defined Views in Contacts from one computer to another. Dmahanay <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > If I copy a PST file on my PC, how can I configure my > Laptop Outlook to use that copied file as its default. Outlook version? > Is it possible to copy new Defined Views in Contacts from > one computer to another. I think views are registry items and not kept in the PST. -- Brian Tillman My outlook version is 2002. >--...

how to route messages using the internet and not the VPN c
Hi, we are currently in the process of evaluating exchange 2003 in the past we used 3rd party POP3 mail servers for each office, so each office also had it's own MX record no problem that way..BUT now we implemented AD and one of the exch2k3 server is the US is holding the Primary dns MX record for the company the same MX record that we want everyone else to use ( i.e someone@company.com ) regardless to which office they are located in. when the mail is being intercepted on the primary mail server, it's routing itself via the AD GC's servers internally on the vpn connection, becasu...

Database Field Sizes.
I have two small problems, firstly Can the Matrix Description field size be increased to 40/60 chars at present too small. or is there a bigger field i can use eg the extended description field size increased. We need a way that when a saleperson inputs a sale order at the POS and the item needs to be special order the following information is automatically passed to the purchased order for the supplier. 1, supplier Ref number for item. 2, Supplier Colour (four suppliers have 56 colours each) 3, Size of Dress etc 4, delivery date required 5, Order confirmation date and number from suppli...

Outlook 2007 add-on
Hello everybody! Wonder is there any outlook 2007 add-on that can show related email messages (even if exchanged between 2, 3 or more persons), based on the similarity of emails' contents? I know Outlook 2007 has the option to arrange columns per "conversation" but if 2 messages have same content with different subjects, they are not included in the "conversation" display.. Any ideas here? Thanks in advance! Steve Tried Xobni? --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal ...

Noob Question For Selecting Multiple Fields On A Form
Hello... In versions earlier than 2007 I would be able to go to the Menu Bar and click Edit -> Select All to select all fields on the form. Now, my question is... where in 2007 did the put that functionality? If Microsoft removed it from there... where did they recreate it? Thanks! Squirrel "SQLSQUIRREL" <SQLSQUIRREL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:333547A1-9C6A-422B-9CD5-97D79D6037DF@microsoft.com... > Hello... > > In versions earlier than 2007 I would be able to go to the Menu Bar and > click Edit -> Select All to se...

How do I add a detail section to the form?
I have found instructions on how to add a header/footer but can't find how to add a detail section. A form always has a detail section. It can have only one detail section. -- Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP "kjv77" wrote: > I have found instructions on how to add a header/footer but can't find how to > add a detail section. ...

Create SQL temp table then open it using Dex?
I'm wanting to have a stored proc create a temp table and insert records. Then I'd like to use that temp table in Dexterity. This wouldn't involve report writer, it's all code. Here's my thoughts on the code: * call stored proc from dex * the stored proc puts data in a temp table and puts the temp table name in an OUT param * dex uses the value in the OUT param to do a 'open table BLAH with name [param value]' Is something like this possible? Thanks. Bryce This is possible, but because Dex is fussy about it's table structure, it is actually better to let...

Can we use WINCE 6.0 R2 or R3 to build Windows Phone OS Image??
Hi, Can we use WINCE 6.0 R2 or R3 platform builder to build Windows Phone OS Image?? If yes Which option I need to select while building the OS Image?? Since the Windows Phone 7 core is Windoes CE 6.0.I am curious to know whether Windows Phone 7 OS Image can be built using Platform builder. TIA, Nithin On 29 June, 10:29, Nithin <nithin.papd...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > Can we use WINCE 6.0 R2 or R3 platform builder to build Windows Phone > OS Image?? > > If yes Which option I need to select while building the OS Image?? > > Since the Win...

Free Quantities Using Extended Pricing
Hi, I would like to know if there is a way to enter a promotion using the Extended Pricing as "buy 5 get 1 free", all what I figured that you can build "buy 1 get 1 free" but my customer case is making it in layers each 5 Units with one free. How can I build that? Thanks in advance, ...

Cannot Add Photo
HI, under the Account entity, I have several tabs like General,Notes.. and a Photo tab. ıf I click on that tab (as I create a new account) it displays an error message. "An error has occured.Contact system adminis..." what can I do? do I have a possibility like adding a picture from my own computer,not from internet. for instance is it possible to add a picture from harddisk to Photo tab? ty ...

Using Queries in Excel
What are the best practices for using database-like queries in Excel. Let's say you wish to join to sheets together och view a subset of columns in a third sheet. I've tried several different methods, but I dont think any of them are completely good. I've used VLookup, Index, MS Query. (MS Query must be the must forgotten MS product in history. It's like a time machine back to Windows 3.11) I've also tried alot of different methods for searching a range, based on more than one criteria, and display the result, either a single value or a sum based on several rows. Here i&#...

Add path of a picture to database
I'm trying to add a button to form in the database that I use for employee records. The button should have to open a regular dialog box to let me choose the picture of an employee. I need to store only the path. What should I do ? I tried several ways but could not succeeded. Thank you very much in advance. Gokhan ® Check this link on "Handle/Display images in forms/database" http://www.mvps.org/access/forms/frm0030.htm -- Good Luck BS"D "Gokhan ®" wrote: > I'm trying to add a button to form in the database that I use for employee > ...

Email from Outlook using SharePoint
I have been able to sync a SharePoint library to my Outlook account. i can't seem to able to attach more than one SharePoint file to an email. Is this a system limitation or am I miossing something. ...

mySQL datetime field reports as Long Integer with ODBC
I'm using Access 2003 as a reporting tool against a mySQL database, connecting with the mySQL ODBC driver 3.51.17. The ODBC driver reports every datetime field as a Long Integer in Access. This makes date operations problematic. I notice an interesting post in this forum from 2005 that would work fine ("Convert UNIX time to windows general date"), but using a function with every row seems like an unnecessary performance hit. Also, it seems counter-intuitive that the driver doesn't recognize the correct field type. The problem looks suspiciously like the mySQL bug rep...

what causes the recently used file list option to be unavailable .
Tools / Options / Recently used file list is greyed out - How do I correct this ? John You don't say which version so try searching the knowledge base http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx With a search string of MRU Disabled in Excel -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "JohnPrice" <JohnPrice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ECA43906-EC33-4B92-8580-39923E449B9C@microsoft.com... > Tools / Options / Recently used file list is greyed out - How do I correct > this ? Hi! So...

Text fields in report writer
I have a modified report dictionary, when I go into a report layout and enter a text field, when I tab off the field what I wrote is converted to something totally different. Has anyone seen this before? Reports that I have been using for months suddenly the text fields print something totally different. ????? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you! Hi J. We use a shared dictionary located on our server, and I find text fields do not "travel" well - ie. I often lose info if I export a report out of the dictionary to work on it. What I do is make a copy of the enti...

Using tables created in 2003 IN 2007
My office has recently upgraded to 2007. I enjoy new features such as the ability to highlight a few words within the table without the ENTIRE table's font changing; unfortunately, this only works in tables I have created since the upgrade. My old tables that were brought over from 2003 do not have this capability. Is there an add-on out there? I do not have to resort to re-typing and creating all new tables. PS. Copy and pasting into a new table does not work. Convertting the file using the office button does not work. Help? please? I think you talking about what is called...