Upgrade GP 9.0 SP2 to GP 10.0 Advice

Hi,
We are planning our upgrade of GP9.0 SP2  to GP10.0. We are running SQL 2000
and would like to also upgrade to SQL 2005.

I am using the following url (and read some threads on this forum):
https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/support/knowledgebase/hottopics/hot_topic_updatingmicrosoftdynamicsgp10.htm?printpage=false
 (page: Updating to Microsoft Dynamics GP 10.0)

The chart Microsoft provides says I can go from 9.00.0281 (which is SP2) to
10.0 or any patch install.
What does "any patch install" mean?
Does this mean I can't go directly to 10.0 Feature Pack 1?
Would it make more sense to go to GP9.0 SP4 and THEN to GP 10.0 SP3?
Or go to GP10 and then GP10 SP3??

It looks like 10.0 is up to SP3, I'd ideally like to get there.

Also, would it be better to upgrade SQL Server first or Great Plains first?
I've been reading these forums and found people that advise both approaches
are ok.

I guess I'm just looking for advice on the best order of events.
Thanks for your help!
-Sean

PS I've read a couple other posts (ex: Subject: "Upgrade from GP9 to GP 10")
Looks like he went up to GP9 SP4 and then GP10 SP3..

0
sheckyd (10)

Sheckyd,

In fact, if you are planning to go from 9.0 SP4 (9.00.0352), you are
required to use 10.0 SP3. Nonetheless, you can actually upgrade from your
current version (9.0 SP2) directly to 10.0SP3 which is all inclusive of
previous service packs and hotfixes.

Take a look at my blog article on the subject at
http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com/2008/10/dynamics-gp-upgrade-path.html

Best regards,
--
MG.-
Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP

"sheckyd" wrote:

> Hi,
> We are planning our upgrade of GP9.0 SP2  to GP10.0. We are running SQL 2000
> and would like to also upgrade to SQL 2005.
>
> I am using the following url (and read some threads on this forum):
> https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/support/knowledgebase/hottopics/hot_topic_updatingmicrosoftdynamicsgp10.htm?printpage=false
>  (page: Updating to Microsoft Dynamics GP 10.0)
>

> The chart Microsoft provides says I can go from 9.00.0281 (which is SP2) to
> 10.0 or any patch install.
> What does "any patch install" mean?
> Does this mean I can't go directly to 10.0 Feature Pack 1?
> Would it make more sense to go to GP9.0 SP4 and THEN to GP 10.0 SP3?
> Or go to GP10 and then GP10 SP3??
>
> It looks like 10.0 is up to SP3, I'd ideally like to get there.
>
> Also, would it be better to upgrade SQL Server first or Great Plains first?
> I've been reading these forums and found people that advise both approaches
> are ok.
>
> I guess I'm just looking for advice on the best order of events.
> Thanks for your help!
> -Sean
>
> PS I've read a couple other posts (ex: Subject: "Upgrade from GP9 to GP 10")
> Looks like he went up to GP9 SP4 and then GP10 SP3..

0
MarianoGomez (3440)
11/11/2008 4:49:01 PM
Hi Mariano,
Thanks for the information, the blog is very useful and I'm sure I'll be
referencing it plenty over the next few weeks. So, my plan is to upgrade SQL
2000 --> 2005, then once that is up and running, I'm going from GP 9.0SP2 to
10.0SP3.
Ok, thanks again!
-Sean

"Mariano Gomez" wrote:

> Sheckyd,
>
> In fact, if you are planning to go from 9.0 SP4 (9.00.0352), you are
> required to use 10.0 SP3. Nonetheless, you can actually upgrade from your
> current version (9.0 SP2) directly to 10.0SP3 which is all inclusive of
> previous service packs and hotfixes.
>
> Take a look at my blog article on the subject at
> http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com/2008/10/dynamics-gp-upgrade-path.html
>
> Best regards,
> --
> MG.-
> Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP
> Maximum Global Business, LLC
> http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com
>

> "sheckyd" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > We are planning our upgrade of GP9.0 SP2  to GP10.0. We are running SQL 2000
> > and would like to also upgrade to SQL 2005.
> >
> > I am using the following url (and read some threads on this forum):
> > https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/support/knowledgebase/hottopics/hot_topic_updatingmicrosoftdynamicsgp10.htm?printpage=false
> >  (page: Updating to Microsoft Dynamics GP 10.0)
> >

> > The chart Microsoft provides says I can go from 9.00.0281 (which is SP2) to
> > 10.0 or any patch install.
> > What does "any patch install" mean?
> > Does this mean I can't go directly to 10.0 Feature Pack 1?
> > Would it make more sense to go to GP9.0 SP4 and THEN to GP 10.0 SP3?
> > Or go to GP10 and then GP10 SP3??
> >
> > It looks like 10.0 is up to SP3, I'd ideally like to get there.
> >
> > Also, would it be better to upgrade SQL Server first or Great Plains first?
> > I've been reading these forums and found people that advise both approaches
> > are ok.
> >
> > I guess I'm just looking for advice on the best order of events.
> > Thanks for your help!
> > -Sean
> >
> > PS I've read a couple other posts (ex: Subject: "Upgrade from GP9 to GP 10")
> > Looks like he went up to GP9 SP4 and then GP10 SP3..

0
sheckyd (10)
11/11/2008 6:30:01 PM
Sean,

Just as a personal preference, I always prefer to upgrade the application
first, then deal with database upgrades last.
--
Best regards,
--

"sheckyd" wrote:

> Hi Mariano,
> Thanks for the information, the blog is very useful and I'm sure I'll be
> referencing it plenty over the next few weeks. So, my plan is to upgrade SQL
> 2000 --> 2005, then once that is up and running, I'm going from GP 9.0SP2 to
> 10.0SP3.
> Ok, thanks again!
> -Sean
>
> "Mariano Gomez" wrote:
>
> > Sheckyd,
> >
> > In fact, if you are planning to go from 9.0 SP4 (9.00.0352), you are
> > required to use 10.0 SP3. Nonetheless, you can actually upgrade from your
> > current version (9.0 SP2) directly to 10.0SP3 which is all inclusive of
> > previous service packs and hotfixes.
> >
> > Take a look at my blog article on the subject at
> > http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com/2008/10/dynamics-gp-upgrade-path.html
> >
> > Best regards,
> > --
> > MG.-
> > Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP
> > Maximum Global Business, LLC
> > http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com
> > The Dynamics GP Blogster at http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com
> >

> > "sheckyd" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > We are planning our upgrade of GP9.0 SP2  to GP10.0. We are running SQL 2000
> > > and would like to also upgrade to SQL 2005.
> > >
> > > I am using the following url (and read some threads on this forum):
> > > https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/support/knowledgebase/hottopics/hot_topic_updatingmicrosoftdynamicsgp10.htm?printpage=false
> > >  (page: Updating to Microsoft Dynamics GP 10.0)
> > >

> > > The chart Microsoft provides says I can go from 9.00.0281 (which is SP2) to
> > > 10.0 or any patch install.
> > > What does "any patch install" mean?
> > > Does this mean I can't go directly to 10.0 Feature Pack 1?
> > > Would it make more sense to go to GP9.0 SP4 and THEN to GP 10.0 SP3?
> > > Or go to GP10 and then GP10 SP3??
> > >
> > > It looks like 10.0 is up to SP3, I'd ideally like to get there.
> > >
> > > Also, would it be better to upgrade SQL Server first or Great Plains first?
> > > I've been reading these forums and found people that advise both approaches
> > > are ok.
> > >
> > > I guess I'm just looking for advice on the best order of events.
> > > Thanks for your help!
> > > -Sean
> > >
> > > PS I've read a couple other posts (ex: Subject: "Upgrade from GP9 to GP 10")
> > > Looks like he went up to GP9 SP4 and then GP10 SP3..

0
MarianoGomez (3440)
11/11/2008 7:46:23 PM
Ok, I'll try that route!

"Mariano Gomez" wrote:

> Sean,
>
> Just as a personal preference, I always prefer to upgrade the application
> first, then deal with database upgrades last.
> --
> Best regards,
> --
> MG.-
> Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP
> Maximum Global Business, LLC
> http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com
>

> "sheckyd" wrote:
>
> > Hi Mariano,
> > Thanks for the information, the blog is very useful and I'm sure I'll be
> > referencing it plenty over the next few weeks. So, my plan is to upgrade SQL
> > 2000 --> 2005, then once that is up and running, I'm going from GP 9.0SP2 to
> > 10.0SP3.
> > Ok, thanks again!
> > -Sean
> >
> > "Mariano Gomez" wrote:
> >
> > > Sheckyd,
> > >
> > > In fact, if you are planning to go from 9.0 SP4 (9.00.0352), you are
> > > required to use 10.0 SP3. Nonetheless, you can actually upgrade from your
> > > current version (9.0 SP2) directly to 10.0SP3 which is all inclusive of
> > > previous service packs and hotfixes.
> > >
> > > Take a look at my blog article on the subject at
> > > http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com/2008/10/dynamics-gp-upgrade-path.html
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > --
> > > MG.-
> > > Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP
> > > Maximum Global Business, LLC
> > > http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com
> > > The Dynamics GP Blogster at http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com

0
sheckyd (10)

How to convert MTS, TS, M2TS Video to HD video, MP4, WMV, AVI... 06-01-10
This article will share with you how to convert MTS, TS, M2TS video to normal video formats. You need 3 nice tool to do it: MTS Converter( http://www.5idownload.com/as-MTS-converter.html ), TS Video Converter( http://www.5idownload.com/as-TS-video-converter.html ), M2TS Converter( http://www.5idownload.com/as-M2TS-converter.html ). Part 1: What is MTS, TS, M2TS Files? Part 2: How to convert MTS video? Part 3: How to convert TS video ? Part 4: How to convert M2TS video ? Part 1: MTS, TS, M2TS is the raw file of AVCHD video. These formats are high-definition MPEG, AVC, H.264...

Direct Email in CRM 3.0
Hi all, we've just upgraded MS CRM3.0 from 1.2. I can't find how to send Direct email to list of contacts. Though the feature seems to work exactly like in 1.2 (with the "Direct Email" button, then select the email template, etc.), the emails don't go. The email router is ok, because if we send an individual email to one contact, everything is ok. Any suggestion? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Hi- Did you verify that the CRM Bulk Email Service is running on your server? The service is not started by default. -Nathan -- Nathan Trueblood VP Client Services D...

Slghtly OT; WinXP and RAID 0
I know this is OT but as a very long time lurker I know there's many very knowledgeable posters that use Acronis or other imaging apps in this group. I'm planning on setting up WinXP (slippedstreamed SP3 and RAID drivers) on two new 320GB SATA drives. I've never used RAID before but know RAID 0 will split the data between the 2 drives, and I presume I'll only see a C:\ drive in Windows Explorer or Disk Management (both drives recognized as 1). The motherboard supports ACHI and RAID 0, 1, 0+1, and JBOD. I presently image (DriveImage XML) the IDE WinXP drive ...

Win2k Clients slow to log on after Exchange 2k3 SP2 install
I have a feeling my issue could be the result of the combination of Exchange Server 2003 SP2 install and Windows Server 2003 SP1 install on the same day, but still I'm not sure why this would happen. The server itself still runs as normal - slow, but it's been that way since day 1. The workstations however logged on within a few seconds yesterday, but today they are taking almost a minute, sometimes more. The machines themselves are relatively old, but not too old for the OS. My hub is only 10MBps but again, they were much faster yesterday. I have 8 workstations connected to my ...

If #9
Hi, I am trying to use the *IF* function to display *You Passed Both Tests when the values in 3 cells are identical (which they are) but I alway get the ubiquitous *TRUE* message. My formula, is: ::=IF(F48,E56=C1,\"You Passed Both Tests\"):: Regards, Mick -- mick ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mick2's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2414 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47252 Good morning mick2 =IF(AND(A1="yes",A2="yes",A3="yes&quo...

Looking for a module in GP 7.5
We are currently using Great Plains 7.5 and there is a module that I wanted to find out more information on but am having a problem. When I use my online manuals, I see that there is a module called "Cashbook Bank Management". When I click on it, it says that it is not installed so I am unable to find out anything more on it. I was wondering if it was a module that would help you maintain your checkbook information in it by tracking balances, deposits, adjustsments, etc.... However, when I go to Customersource to inquire, it is as if this module no longer exists or may hav...

CRM 4.0 Client-Side Scripting
Hi, Does anybody figure out how to impersonate using JavaScript in a SOAP call? In an CRM Online environment, I can't write plug-in to intercept the Save operation like in the On-Premise environment. Everything in an Online environment needs to go through web service and client side scripting. I have a situation where each user only have access to their own contact records. however I need a way to detect if a new user input contact is already in the system from the other users' contact records. The GenerateAuthenticationHeader() method only does authentication for the current logon u...

POS 2.0
Hello, Could someone tell me how to edit a Sale on MS POS 2.0 after the receipt is printed? I will frequently need to include a "TIP" item after the fact... I already learned reading the posts that the integrated credit card processing does not support that, so I will continued using a stand-alone credit card terminal. Thanks in advance! Johann, Completed sales cannot be edited to include gratuity. This would have to be tracked apart from the transaction in POS. Jeff "Johann" <jgenutis@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:#Ud8K6AdHHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx....

Symantec & GP 10.0
Has anyone encountered any issues with Symantec Endpoint Protection ver 11.0 & Dynamics GP 10.0? After installing Symantec, workstation receives a dynamics.exe appication error. The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Disabling symantec does not remove the error only removing Symantec removes the error. Funny you should post that issue. We encountered the same issue today! And our solution was the same, the application had to be removed to resolve the issue. At one workstation, GP 10 was installed and working and when Symantic autoinstalled the client upda...

Lost of 10 hours work on a visio drawing... Please Help
Hy Following the abrupt switch off of my Lap top I cannot open any more a Visio 2000 drawing (the file .vsd is around 1.3MB)... The error message I got while trying to open is: " An error (100) occured during the action Open Save File" " Visio cannot open the file because it is not a Visio file" Do you know some tools that could help me recovering parts of this damage visio file? Thanks for your hep Alain79 Sorry, error 100 is fatal. The only way to minimize it's effect is by the use of backups or upgrading. John... Visio MVP Need stencils or ideas? ht...

Outlook 2003 and McAfee 8.0
Does anyone know if there is a compatibility issue between Outlook 2003 and McAfee 8.0? I have them installed, but when I am using another program and switch back to outlook, it freezes. There is not a know issue with 8.0 and switching. There could be other software that's causing the issues. However that's not saying that in your particular issues it is not the cause "Jean Lefevre" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:195901c49c2f$5908c740$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know if there is a compatibility issue > between Outlook 2003 an...

CRM 4.0 : How to manage a datagrid in a form ?
Hello, I have the following issue regarding the management of a meeting : - manage invitation for at least 1000 people. - manage the type of people : participants, organizer, speaker - manage the answer to the invitation After the meeting, I need to check the status of the people invited (present, not present). I was thinking to use the appointment entity but there is no way to manage the type of people, invitation's answer ... If you have experienced this type of issue or concept, please let me know how did you manage it. Thanks, -- Cyril CRM consultant ...

Business Portal Development In BP 4.0
Good day. With Rational XDE no longer being the recommended development environment for business portal in version 4.0 I am lost as to how one would accomplish similar things using the Sharepoint SDK. Specifically, how would you make it aware of which company the user is pointed to in BP and how would you make it aware of the user roles in order to filter results. I have a third party table with employee data in the company database. When I show this data in BP I need to be able to have it pull from the correct company database based on what they are currently pointed to and I need it filt...

Linking 2 separte company account in a GP system
Hi, I would like users to test out certain features of GP in a separate company account in the same Micosoft GP server. However, I do not want them to re-enter the same data to the exisitng company account (to save data entry time). I was wondering if there is a way I can update the one company account with data from another company account in the same GP system. Thks. 1.) Take note of the Registration keys for the mirror company (take note of the company name and regisration keys) (Tools -> Setup -> System -> Registration 2.) Backup the original, live database 3.) Restore t...

CRM 3.0
I am trying to use the Cases section of the CRM and have a couple of "how do you do it" questions. In general and prior to using the MSCRM, when our customers call for support our receptionist takes the call and sends out a emal to a distribution list which has all our techs in it which they receive on their BlackBerry's. From there, one of them will take the issue. I'd like to use the same process (or a better one if someone wants to recommend something) for the cases section of the CRM it do the same thing. So, How do other people who use the CRM Case section h...

Update query question 04-26-10
Hello, I would like to update a record by looking at the value from a form combo box column(1). I have tried Forms![Lab Works Manager]![cmbTo].column(1) but it does not work. The bond column(0) has the ID, but in this case I need to use the actual value from column(1) and not column(0). Any idea how? Thank you, Silvio Add a hidden control to your form and set its value to =Forms![Lab Works Manager]![cmbTo].column(1) Then you can reference that hidden control in the query. Your other option is to write a VBA function and pass in the name of the form, the name of the co...

need Exchange policy advice, EDB help
My Exchange 2000 server is in use by ~35 people. I have never established spool limits and I have 6-7 people that are in the 1.5GB - 2.5GB range. My EDB is ~13GB and my stream (stm) file is ~8GB. My clients use a mix of OL2000, XP, 2003. My issues are two-fold: No space to defrag/compress: I believe there is a 16GB limit on the EDB file, IIRC. I want to offline defrag, but my EDB is on a 33GB drive (w/22GB used) and there are no other attached drives. I know I have a gig or two of whitespace in my EDB at least (source: 1221). I do not have the required 110% of the EDB size in HDD space...

MS CRM 4.0 Performance Issue
Hi, Are there any ways with which we can monitor MS CRM performance? Or how MS CRM performance can be increased? (Considering opening a new record, save and close etc). As we have deployed MS CRM for one of the client and where MS CRM is supposed to do all the processing’s in a second or two. Help highly appreciated. Thanks Bharat ...

Can I move Exchange 5.5 SP2 mailboxes to Exchange 5.5 SP4?
Pardon me, I'm a newbie to Exchange. I have Exchange 5.5 SP2 running my mailboxes on an older NT 4.0 server SP5. I've put a new NT 4.0 server SP6a on-line. Can I run Exchange SP4 on this newer server and use exmerge to move my existing SP2 mailboxes over to this new server? What problems might arise? Thanks! Did you join the site? If so use Tools - Move Mailbox. If you didn't join the site then your likely to have different X500 DNs and have trouble replying to old messages if you go the Exmerge route. -- Hope that helps, Dan Townsend This posting is provided "AS IS&qu...

CRM 3.0 Client Install Error
Trying to install the desktop version of the CRM 3.0 Outlook Client. It fails saying it cannot find the log file. Any solutions? No one else had this problem during installation. Ken ...

Global Address Book #10
Hello, I inadvertently deleted the default global address list on my Microsoft Exchange 2003 Server. As a result, the global address list is not updating on my client computers. Can someone provide me with steps to resolve this issue? See if this helps: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823151/en-us Nue "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CC9F8976-4CE5-45AF-8013-AEA530B253EC@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > I inadvertently deleted the default global address list on my Microsoft > Exchange 2003 Server. As a result, the global address...

CRM 4.0 Backup Plan
I want to implement a backup plan for CRM Dynamics 4.0 so that to be able to fully recover it if a failure occurs to the machine or Hard drive [Note: I have SQL Server 2005 Installed on the same CRM server machine] Q1: Which databases should I backup of the following?: MSCRM_CONFIG <Org>_MSCRM ReportServer ReportServerTempDB Q2: In a disaster case, what are the steps to restore CRM 4.0 from the backed up databases? Thanks in advance You need to back-up Both CRM databases Master msdb (Although they are not required by MSCRM but should be backed up) Reportserver reportservertem...

GP Manufacturing Routings
Hello: Is it possible to have inventory relieved at a certain sequence of a GP manufacturing routing, or does a routing have to run through every sequence in the routing in order to relieve inventory? Is it possible to run a sequence of a routing prior to the sequence numbered before it? Or, again, do the routing sequences have to be run in succession? Thanks! childofthe1980s Strangely enough, attaching BOM components to Router steps is not found in cards but in Transactions. Try Trx->Manufacturing->BOM->Bom/Router Link. This link allows components to be backflushed when...

Upgrade path from Microsoft Money 1.0 for Pocket PC
I am looking to move my old Microsoft Money data to something a bit more modern. Currently I can't even pull any of the database files off my PocketPC using ActiveSync. And backup/restore of the whole PocketPC is pretty tempermental. Help! Version of OS is Windows CE 3.0.9348. ...

GP 10.0 Financials Training Books
Hi All, I have been studying the Microsoft training books for GP 10.0 Financials for my skill building. Right now, I have just the first version of each book, for example, Foundation I, General Ledger I etc. I wanted to know about the significance of the second version books, meaning, Foundation II, General Ledger II etc. Do they have useful content that a budding GP Financials consultant would benefit from? I wanted to know, so that I could go for those books as well. I'd be glad if anyone could throw light on this. Thanks in advance! -- Abu Yahya Hi, The level II books don't ...