Upgarde from GP9 to GP 10

Dear Friends,

I am planning to upgrade GP 9 to GP 10 in my environment. I went through
lots of documentation already but would like to learn more to complete
upgrade process as smooth as possible. Following is my current GP 9
environment:

OS: Windows 2000 SP4 server
GP: Version 9
IM: Integration Manager
SQL Server: SQL 2000 SP3

I have a new server available so I plan to do the followings:

OS: Windows 2003 SP1                            (already installed)
GP: version 10 SP2 + hot fixes                   (already done)
IM: Intergration Manager + hot fix              ( Installed)
SQL Server: SQL 2005 with latest SP        (installed but NO database
instance created)

My question are:

1. I am moving from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005, how this will affect all databases
migration process? Anything I need to take care of before I migrate?
2. Do I need to follow any specific sequence of tasks to complete this
migration?
3. Anything else which I might have done wrong so far or have over looked?

Thank you so much for your contributions to help me in completing this task.

Regards,

Jamil Ahsan

0
jahsan (7)

Dear Jamil,

Move your databases to SQL 2005 as is, point GP10 ODBC to the New SQL Server
and Run GP Utilities; for sure you must note the following:

1. Make sure you backed up all your databases.
2. I would recommend upgrading from GP 9.0 to GP 10.0 then install the SP2 &
Hot fixes, I never tested to upgrade directly from GP 9.0 to GP 10.0 SP2

Regards,
--
Mohammad R. Daoud
MCP, MCBMSP, MCTS, MCBMSS

"Ahsan, Jamil" wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>
> I am planning to upgrade GP 9 to GP 10 in my environment. I went through
> lots of documentation already but would like to learn more to complete
> upgrade process as smooth as possible. Following is my current GP 9
> environment:
>
> OS: Windows 2000 SP4 server
> GP: Version 9
> IM: Integration Manager
> SQL Server: SQL 2000 SP3
>
> I have a new server available so I plan to do the followings:
>
> OS: Windows 2003 SP1                            (already installed)
> GP: version 10 SP2 + hot fixes                   (already done)
> IM: Intergration Manager + hot fix              ( Installed)
> SQL Server: SQL 2005 with latest SP        (installed but NO database
> instance created)
>
> My question are:
>
> 1. I am moving from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005, how this will affect all databases
> migration process? Anything I need to take care of before I migrate?
> 2. Do I need to follow any specific sequence of tasks to complete this
> migration?
> 3. Anything else which I might have done wrong so far or have over looked?
>
> Thank you so much for your contributions to help me in completing this task.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jamil Ahsan

Thank you for your quick reply.

I will updat everyone about how it went for me.

Regards,
"Mohammad Daoud" <daoudm@greatpbs . com> wrote in message
> Dear Jamil,
>
> Move your databases to SQL 2005 as is, point GP10 ODBC to the New SQL
> Server
> and Run GP Utilities; for sure you must note the following:
>
> 1. Make sure you backed up all your databases.
> 2. I would recommend upgrading from GP 9.0 to GP 10.0 then install the SP2
> &
> Hot fixes, I never tested to upgrade directly from GP 9.0 to GP 10.0 SP2
>
> Regards,
> --
> Mohammad R. Daoud
> MCP, MCBMSP, MCTS, MCBMSS
> Software Development Manager
> +962 - 79 - 999 65 85
> Great Package For Business Solutions
> daoudm@greatpbs.com
> http://www.greatpbs.com
>

> "Ahsan, Jamil" wrote:
>
>> Dear Friends,
>>
>> I am planning to upgrade GP 9 to GP 10 in my environment. I went through
>> lots of documentation already but would like to learn more to complete
>> upgrade process as smooth as possible. Following is my current GP 9
>> environment:
>>
>> OS: Windows 2000 SP4 server
>> GP: Version 9
>> IM: Integration Manager
>> SQL Server: SQL 2000 SP3
>>
>> I have a new server available so I plan to do the followings:
>>
>> OS: Windows 2003 SP1                            (already installed)
>> GP: version 10 SP2 + hot fixes                   (already done)
>> IM: Intergration Manager + hot fix              ( Installed)
>> SQL Server: SQL 2005 with latest SP        (installed but NO database
>> instance created)
>>
>> My question are:
>>
>> 1. I am moving from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005, how this will affect all
>> databases
>> migration process? Anything I need to take care of before I migrate?
>> 2. Do I need to follow any specific sequence of tasks to complete this
>> migration?
>> 3. Anything else which I might have done wrong so far or have over
>> looked?
>>
>> Thank you so much for your contributions to help me in completing this
>> task.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Jamil Ahsan

0
jahsan (7)
10/15/2008 6:09:31 PM
Hi Jamil,

I would advise getting the databases working on your new SQL Server
first.  You will probably find that you will need to set the databases
into SQL2000 compatibility mode, if you are restoring a 2000 database
backup over a 2005 database.  Make sure you can access the databases
on your new server from a GP9 client, before you start your upgrade to
GP10.

There's no problem going direct on to 10 SP2 from 9 - indeed it's much
quicker and I think it's recommended.  If you download the GP10 SP2
DVD from [Customer|Partner]Source, you can save yourself some more
time because the service pack has already been integrated into the
install for you.

One other thing that's worth noting - that you've probably already
picked up, since you've bought a new server - is that Windows 2000 is
no longer supported with GP10.  This is probably because the version
of the Distributed Transaction Controller supplied with Windows 2000
doesn't support security properly - this is required for things like
eConnect (now used by Integration Manager) and the Web Services.

Good luck,

Andrew
Hi Andrew,

I am all set and ready to go for this upgrade/migration on this Saturday. I
am documenting everything to post it back to this newsgroup for others to
take advantage of. BTW, we have Purchase Order Module configured in GP9. I
am assuming that once upgrade and migration is done, Purchase Order module
settings will be retained within Dynamics also? Do I need to install any
additional component to have PO module enabled? I doubt so as it seems to be
the part of Dynamics but still would like to hear from you and other
friends.

You also specifically mentioned that I must first connect from GP client 9
to my databases on new server before I run GP10 utilities. What is the
significance of this task?

Just to test connectivity to new server or..????

Regards,

Jamil

"Andrew Cooper" <vitai.lampada@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Jamil,
>
> I would advise getting the databases working on your new SQL Server
> first.  You will probably find that you will need to set the databases
> into SQL2000 compatibility mode, if you are restoring a 2000 database
> backup over a 2005 database.  Make sure you can access the databases
> on your new server from a GP9 client, before you start your upgrade to
> GP10.
>
> There's no problem going direct on to 10 SP2 from 9 - indeed it's much
> quicker and I think it's recommended.  If you download the GP10 SP2
> DVD from [Customer|Partner]Source, you can save yourself some more
> time because the service pack has already been integrated into the
> install for you.
>
> One other thing that's worth noting - that you've probably already
> picked up, since you've bought a new server - is that Windows 2000 is
> no longer supported with GP10.  This is probably because the version
> of the Distributed Transaction Controller supplied with Windows 2000
> doesn't support security properly - this is required for things like
> eConnect (now used by Integration Manager) and the Web Services.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Andrew

0
jahsan (7)
10/22/2008 7:29:26 PM
Hi Andrew,

I am all set and ready to go for this upgrade/migration on this Saturday. I
am documenting everything to post it back to this newsgroup for others to
take advantage of. BTW, we have Purchase Order Module configured in GP9. I
am assuming that once upgrade and migration is done, Purchase Order module
settings will be retained within Dynamics also? Do I need to install any
additional component to have PO module enabled? I doubt so as it seems to be
the part of Dynamics but still would like to hear from you and other
friends.

You also specifically mentioned that I must first connect from GP client 9
to my databases on new server before I run GP10 utilities. What is the
significance of this task?

Just to test connectivity to new server or..????

Regards,

Jamil

"Andrew Cooper" <vitai.lampada@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Jamil,
>
> I would advise getting the databases working on your new SQL Server
> first.  You will probably find that you will need to set the databases
> into SQL2000 compatibility mode, if you are restoring a 2000 database
> backup over a 2005 database.  Make sure you can access the databases
> on your new server from a GP9 client, before you start your upgrade to
> GP10.
>
> There's no problem going direct on to 10 SP2 from 9 - indeed it's much
> quicker and I think it's recommended.  If you download the GP10 SP2
> DVD from [Customer|Partner]Source, you can save yourself some more
> time because the service pack has already been integrated into the
> install for you.
>
> One other thing that's worth noting - that you've probably already
> picked up, since you've bought a new server - is that Windows 2000 is
> no longer supported with GP10.  This is probably because the version
> of the Distributed Transaction Controller supplied with Windows 2000
> doesn't support security properly - this is required for things like
> eConnect (now used by Integration Manager) and the Web Services.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Andrew

0
jahsan (7)
10/22/2008 7:37:35 PM
Hi All,

I have successfully upgraded my GP9 environment to GP 10. It was quite a
pumpy ride but finally made it.
In my case I had to upgrade hardware, OS, SQL, and GP Application.
I had hardware ready first. Installed Windows 2003 and SQL2005 and Great
Plains 10. I had GP 10 sp3 installed and I also had Integration Manager SP2
installed.
Couple of notable process items were:
Install SQL 2005 - No instance creation
Install SQL 2005 latest SP
Assigned same service account to SQL2005 services as it was for SQL2000 on
old server
Make full backup of Dynamics and company databses on old server
Create agent and operator scripts on old server
On old server run Capture_Login.sql and saved result file as SQLLOGINS.SQL
Migrate SQL 2000 Databases to SQL 2005 (backed up on old server. copies to
new server  and then restored on new server)
Run sp_helpsort to check sort order on both server ----must be same
Restored Dynamics db first and then companies databases.
Changed the datbase compatibility level for each database to SQL2005 (90)
Run MassDropUserschemas.sql script on new server
Run SQLLOGINS.sql script which was created running Capture_login.sql script
on old server
Run agent and operator scripts on new server
Run Dex_Req.sql script against MASTER database
Run Grant.sql script against DYNAMICS and all company databases
Run sp_changedbowner 'DYNSA' against DYNAMICS and all company databses
Copy reports.dic from old server to new server. (For some reason report.dic
got corrupted and I had to restore it from backup and then import it)
launched GP10, logged in, changed all users's passwords. (I migrated from
SQL2000 - 2005 so I have to go through this pain)
Create ODBC connection at new server
lastely did workstation installations.

Please note that my GP9 version was 9.0.0014 and I already had GP10 SP3
installed on new server. This was not accepted as both environments were not
compatiable. so I had to install GP9 SP4 at my production first to bring
version up to GP9 0.0.153(I guess) which then was compatiable to be migrated
to GP10 SP3.
If you have Intergartion Manager installed, you need to convert IM database
first before your integration can work. Don't forget to install SP2 of IM
before converting otherwsie will get lots of weird errors.
Purchase Order module migrated without any issues. I liked GP10 interface
and would recommend to go for it for lots of other reasons also.

Later
"Ahsan, Jamil" <jahsan@thegoldensource.com> wrote in message
> Dear Friends,
>
> I am planning to upgrade GP 9 to GP 10 in my environment. I went through
> lots of documentation already but would like to learn more to complete
> upgrade process as smooth as possible. Following is my current GP 9
> environment:
>
> OS: Windows 2000 SP4 server
> GP: Version 9
> IM: Integration Manager
> SQL Server: SQL 2000 SP3
>
> I have a new server available so I plan to do the followings:
>
> OS: Windows 2003 SP1                            (already installed)
> GP: version 10 SP2 + hot fixes                   (already done)
> IM: Intergration Manager + hot fix              ( Installed)
> SQL Server: SQL 2005 with latest SP        (installed but NO database
> instance created)
>
> My question are:
>
> 1. I am moving from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005, how this will affect all
> databases migration process? Anything I need to take care of before I
> migrate?
> 2. Do I need to follow any specific sequence of tasks to complete this
> migration?
> 3. Anything else which I might have done wrong so far or have over looked?
>
> Thank you so much for your contributions to help me in completing this
> task.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jamil Ahsan

0
jahsan (7)

Windows mail problem 07-16-10
Tried to log into my optonline account and received the following message: The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.optonline.net', Server: 'mail.optonline.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E Can anyone decipher this for me? What is the issue? You should not be using advanced ports or SSL, see http://optimum.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/optimum.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2397&p_created=1237397986&p_sid=ZbGnw*4k&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZ...

GP7 (soon to be GP9) and shared SQL server with instances
I am considering restructuring our server topology to accomidate new applications coming into the mix and with that I am thinking of assembling a single SQL 2005 server with 2 or more named instances to accomidate all of our database needs. The server is a Xeon 2xDuoCore 2.8, 4GB, and a Raid 1 (0,1) / Raid 5 (2, 3, 4) hard drive array setup. Are there performance concerns I need to be made aware of that would make me continue the implementation of a dedicated Great Plains server? I have SQL 2000, GP7, a 3rd party add on (Agora), and IIS running some Web Services tied into the database....

RESOURCE USAGE 03-21-10
I work with a calendar that is setting 9 hours work/day for all the resources. In the resource usage I see that more than 8 hours of work is shown in red, but also sometimes all kinds of hours like 4.5, 5.6, 4.8 hs is red as well, even though is a normal working day. What is going on here???? txs A couple of things: 1) Are you sure the resource calendars are also set to 9 hours per day? If not, they would show up overallocated when assigned to 9 hours of tasks. 2) Project calculates overallocations to the minute. If you have two tasks, both assigned to the same resource...

Windows installer problem 04-08-10
Hi All, After login to windows xp, on screen displayed windows installer and nothing showing on screen .Any reply will be appreciated. Best regards Anji Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2) when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply. Was the computer fully patched at Windows Update when this problem started? What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Has a(another)...

$10,000 a week, as much as $40,000 a month or even up to $500,000 a year!
1) Though multi-level Marketing has been near and dear to many for more than 50 years, 95% of those who trusted it have failed. 2) They failed because most people simply cannot close sales. Without closing they cannot recruit. 3) Without recruiting, duplication cannot happen. Even the 5% who CAN recruit cannot achieve their full potential without duplication. 4) None of the hype, recruiting systems, replicated websites, interruption marketing, sexy products, exotic compensation plans, training kits, books, tapes, seminars, conference calls, or "heavy hitters" have been able to...

Exchange 5.5 #10
I followed the article suggested and identified the last committed log. When I go to the transaction log folder, however, there are no back logs to move. The only logs in the folder are edb.log, edb0264D.log (last known committed log), res1.log and res2.log. The article says not to move the edb.log, res1.log or res2.log, just move any logs older than the last one committed, but there aren't any. Any more suggestions? Thanks! ...

Formula Help 02-02-10
How do I enter a formula to look at a number and based on calculation round up or down to nearest hundreth? For example 421 would round down to 400 while 573 would round up to 600. try =round(a1,-2) where A1 has the number you want to round to the 100's "Jackie Morin" wrote: > How do I enter a formula to look at a number and based on calculation round > up or down to nearest hundreth? For example 421 would round down to 400 while > 573 would round up to 600. You could look up ROUND in Excel help. Try =ROUND(A2,-2) -- David Biddulph Jackie Morin wr...

excel sorting 03-28-10
I have a text spreadsheet of 5,000 names and addresses. Column B needs to restricted to only 16 characters in that column. How do I send the records to the bottom of the page (or delete them) that have data that exceeds 16 characters in Column B? You could insert a new column. In that column, in row 2 put the formula =len(B2) and copy it down the column. Then sort the table on then new column ascending. Tom ...

ploting one cell from 10 worksheets into one chart
i am trying to figure out a way to plot one cell, lets say c-1 from 10 -30 worksheets, in one workbook; on one chart. Each worksheet is a date and each c-1 value is just a number. any help would help thanks alex n. alex.nazarchuK@unitedwater.com ------------------------------------------------ Message posted from the Excel Tip Forum at http://www.ExcelTip.com/forum/ -- View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelTip.com -- Hundreds of free MS Excel tips, tricks and solutions ------------------------------------------------ You can plot each data point as a separate ser...

Macro to delete rows 03-17-10
I'd appreciate some help in creating a macro to delete rows. Here's what I need: 1) Delete rows 1-13 2) Then find all rows that are highlited blue and delete them 3) Then find all rows that include the text "Distr" and delete them Suggestions? Thanks in advance. Tell us how the rows came to be blue... -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "JeffF" <JeffF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:863D165C-D100-42E5-9294-3569F1829DF0@microsoft.com... > I'd appreciate some help in creating a...

Analysis Cubes does not appear in GP Menu
Hi all, I am trying to open the Create PivotTable Reports window from Microsoft Dynamics GP menu > Tools > Analysis Cubes > Create PivotTable Reports. But I could not able to see the same in GP Menus. I don't know what could be the wrong. Your ideas to this are highly appreciable. Thanks and regards, Vijay On Jul 21, 7:09=A0am, Account is empty <Accountisem...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi all, > I am trying to open the Create PivotTable Reports window from Microsoft > Dynamics GP menu > Tools > Analysis Cubes > Create PivotTable Rep...

Stats microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (last 7 days) 06-07-10
"Caveat: Quantity is not necessarily a measure of Quality" Newsgroup.................: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general Stats Were Taken..........: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 08:14:28 GMT Stats Begin...............: Mon, 31 May 2010 08:29:11 GMT Stats End.................: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 06:42:42 GMT Days......................: 7 Total No. of Articles.....: 526 Total No. of Characters...: 1263268 Total Volume..............: 1233 Messages Per Day..........: 75.1 Characters Per Day........: 180466.9 Average Daily Volume......: 176 kB Total Posters This Week...:...

MRP and GP V8
Im very new to GP so im going to ask a lot of simple questions. My question is this, is there an MRP Module for GP V8? If not how are other MFG people doing MRP from GP? If there is an MRP Module, how well does it work? Yes, Great plains has a manufacturing module, and if it is well configured it will work well Frankie ...

Hotfix for Dynamics GP 9.0
I am trying to setup an auto-update for the GP hotfix. I have installed it on the server, and upgraded databases. I set the Client updates and pathed to the .msp file. When I launch GP and log in as a user it prompts to update, then immediately gives a message that it has completed the update. However it has done absolutely nothing, when i try to go back in I get the same message to update, and the version has not changed any either. I am the administrator on this machine. HELP Please! Thanks Does the user account that is logged into the workstation OS have write rights to the Dynamics...

Windows Update error 80070103 01-28-10
I installed Creative X-Fi Titaniun audio sound card on my Destop Computer. The drivers on cd that came with this sound card for Vista and XP. I am using Windows 7 and having trouble installing the driver manually. When Windows Update trys to download it, but stops and give me error message "80070103" everytime. Why is it give me error message when there is no driver installed on this computer? Obtain the appropriate driver update (if needed) from the device manufacturer's download page, not Windows Update. TJBuss wrote: > I installed Creative X-Fi Titaniun a...

Resources
I understand there is a feature in Great Plains where I can pull up any screen in eEnterprise and see what column and table that text box is linked to? Is this true? What are the steps to get this information? ...

Outlook Express #10
I need to move all of my Outlook Express e-mails and addresses to my new laptop. I know that with Outlook 2000 you transfer the .pab and .pst files. Does anyone know what the file extension is for Outlook Express? ...

Manually uninstall GP 10
I am having problems with a GP 10 install on a Vista machine. I tried to do an upgrade from 9 to 10 and it stopped as it was looking for a Service Pack. I have tied to uninstall or reinstall both 9.0 and 10.0 and the setup file will not execute. I have turned off the user account control. I probably have a conflict with something as this a development machine with a myriad of programs on it. It there a way to manually uninstall GP? Jim ...

Installation of Office 2004 on OS X 10.5 Leopard
I installed Office 2004 (and EndNote) after upgrading to Leopard 10.5 and something is amiss. Three (probably related) symptoms I observed: 1. After the install, when opening Word, I'm greeted with the prompt: "An unexpected error occurred while trying to load the Microsoft Framework library." 2. When trying to update Office 2004 via Microsoft AutoUpdate, the application recognizes any out-of-date versions, but then hangs and doesn't download anything (requires a force quit). Also hangs if running updates that were manually downloaded from Microsoft's website. (even o...

cancel 04-27-10
I DO NOT WISH TO USE YOU AS MY E MAIL ACCESS I WOULD LIKE YOU TO DISCONNECT HE EMAIL FROM MY SYSTEM. I USE WINDOWS MAIL this is a forum for Access Databases..... On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 11:23:42 -0400, "Connie and Bill" <bcrugh@bellsouth.net> wrote: >I DO NOT WISH TO USE YOU AS MY E MAIL ACCESS I WOULD LIKE YOU TO DISCONNECT >HE EMAIL FROM MY SYSTEM. I USE WINDOWS MAIL This is not email, Connie and Bill. Windows Mail has two functions - "Mail" and "News". You can use it for either. If you do not want to see the Access newsgroup mes...

Access 2003 Conversion 10-28-03
I just want to know which programming language is used by Access 2003. VBA or .Net because one of my clients is concerned about writing the application in Access 2002 because he has heard that he will not be able to migrate his app. very easily and will have to hire someone to rewrite the app in the new Access 2003. Your input will be greatly appreciated because I searched MS Site for the info and it did not list the programming language for Access 2003. Thanks a bunch Hi Meena, Access 2003 uses the same version of VBA as Access 2002. On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 07:52:26 -0800, "...

Finding Table and Field Information in Microsoft Dynamics GP
Finding Table and Field Information in Microsoft Dynamics GP By David Musgrave To get information about tables and fields in Microsoft Dynamics GP, you can use any of the following 10 methods: 1. Open the Microsoft Dynamics GP window that contains the data you are interested in, and then select Tools -> Integrate -> Table Import to see the tables associated with the Dexterity Form. 2. Open the Microsoft Dynamics GP window that contains the data you are interested in, and then select Tools -> Customise -> Customise Current Window. Once you’re in Modifier Layout mode, look...

Categories 01-10-10
I have upgraded from OLK03 to 07 and I have my previous categories saying "not in Master Category List". How can I have all of these previous catergories apart of the Master Category List. Please if you would give a step by step or where I can see this. Previous columns have answers that for me didn't help. Right click on the root of the mailbox and choose properties, then upgrade to color categories. see http://www.slipstick.com/Tutorials/colorcat/upgrade.asp for a tutorial. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook ...

email 03-28-10
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Email Client: pop my mail with entourage was working without problems until yesterday. now every time i want to open a email entourage crashes; what should i do? On 3/27/10 7:03 PM, faraon@officeformac.com wrote: > my mail with entourage was working without problems until yesterday. > now every time i want to open a email entourage crashes; what should > i do? Does this happen with one specific message or any message you try to open? You may have a corrupt message and may need to delete it. Close the Preview pane...

Embedding Web Browser in GP forms
Hi, We need to include a Web Browser within Gp form. Is there a way to embed Activex Controls on GP forms? Thanks & Regards, Sup No, this is not possible to do with Dexterity. patrick mbs dev support -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "sup" <sup@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:93440548-D88E-4820-A936-01B01D6F4F7D@microsoft.com... > Hi, > We need to include a Web Browser within Gp form. > Is there a way to embed Activex Controls on GP forms? > > Thanks & Regards, > Sup A we...