Terminal Server and GP Settings

Not being a Windows Terminal Server expert by any definition, I have a
question for somebody who is.

When wanting to have a user profile to store individual dex.ini files, my
understanding is that each user would have his own Windows folder under their
user folder. Additionally, if you typed SET at a command prompt, the settings
for WINDIR would point to that user-specific Windows folder. Is this thinking
correct?

--
Charles Allen, MVP

0
callen (2505)

I think you also have to make certain that the dex.ini does NOT exist in the
program install location for GP or it will still look to that.

Dwight

"Charles Allen" <callen@nospam-bkd.com> wrote in message
> Not being a Windows Terminal Server expert by any definition, I have a
> question for somebody who is.
>
> When wanting to have a user profile to store individual dex.ini files, my
> understanding is that each user would have his own Windows folder under
> their
> user folder. Additionally, if you typed SET at a command prompt, the
> settings
> for WINDIR would point to that user-specific Windows folder. Is this
> thinking
> correct?
>
> --
> Charles Allen, MVP

That part I know, but thank you for the response. We believe we have it
working.
--
Charles Allen, MVP

"Dwight Specht" wrote:

> I think you also have to make certain that the dex.ini does NOT exist in the
> program install location for GP or it will still look to that.
>
> Dwight
>
> "Charles Allen" <callen@nospam-bkd.com> wrote in message
> > Not being a Windows Terminal Server expert by any definition, I have a
> > question for somebody who is.
> >
> > When wanting to have a user profile to store individual dex.ini files, my
> > understanding is that each user would have his own Windows folder under
> > their
> > user folder. Additionally, if you typed SET at a command prompt, the
> > settings
> > for WINDIR would point to that user-specific Windows folder. Is this
> > thinking
> > correct?
> >
> > --
> > Charles Allen, MVP

0
callen (2505)
3/30/2006 3:26:07 AM
Just curious why would one want individual dex.ini files?  We use terminal
server but also are not 'experts' with it.

thanks!
--
Doug

"Charles Allen" wrote:

> Not being a Windows Terminal Server expert by any definition, I have a
> question for somebody who is.
>
> When wanting to have a user profile to store individual dex.ini files, my
> understanding is that each user would have his own Windows folder under their
> user folder. Additionally, if you typed SET at a command prompt, the settings
> for WINDIR would point to that user-specific Windows folder. Is this thinking
> correct?
>
> --
> Charles Allen, MVP

0
Doug4515 (774)
3/30/2006 2:42:03 PM
In this case, it was to preserve the user's id. In the shared dex.ini, the
last person to log into GP is the name that appears for the next user. The
folks were complaining about this issue and the fix is relatively easy to
implement.
--
Charles Allen, MVP

"Doug" wrote:

> Just curious why would one want individual dex.ini files?  We use terminal
> server but also are not 'experts' with it.
>
> thanks!
> --
> Doug
>

> "Charles Allen" wrote:
>
> > Not being a Windows Terminal Server expert by any definition, I have a
> > question for somebody who is.
> >
> > When wanting to have a user profile to store individual dex.ini files, my
> > understanding is that each user would have his own Windows folder under their
> > user folder. Additionally, if you typed SET at a command prompt, the settings
> > for WINDIR would point to that user-specific Windows folder. Is this thinking
> > correct?
> >
> > --
> > Charles Allen, MVP

0
callen (2505)
3/31/2006 3:53:02 AM
Also, if you are using Integration Manager on the TS, you MUST have
individual dex.ini files.  Otherwise the integration would try to run
against the last instance of GP that was logged into.

--
Victoria Yudin
GP MVP

> In this case, it was to preserve the user's id. In the shared dex.ini, the
> last person to log into GP is the name that appears for the next user. The
> folks were complaining about this issue and the fix is relatively easy to
> implement.
> --
> Charles Allen, MVP
>

> "Doug" wrote:
>
>> Just curious why would one want individual dex.ini files?  We use
>> terminal
>> server but also are not 'experts' with it.
>>
>> thanks!
>> --
>> Doug
>>

>> "Charles Allen" wrote:
>>
>> > Not being a Windows Terminal Server expert by any definition, I have a
>> > question for somebody who is.
>> >
>> > When wanting to have a user profile to store individual dex.ini files,
>> > my
>> > understanding is that each user would have his own Windows folder under
>> > their
>> > user folder. Additionally, if you typed SET at a command prompt, the
>> > settings
>> > for WINDIR would point to that user-specific Windows folder. Is this
>> > thinking
>> > correct?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Charles Allen, MVP

0
victoria (3340)
3/31/2006 10:24:58 AM
We are using GP 7.0 and GP 8.0 on Citrix.  We made dex.ini read only and
deleted last user's id from the file.  Also we use Integration Manager and
we've never had any problems with the shared dex.ini

Mario

"Victoria [MVP]" wrote:

> Also, if you are using Integration Manager on the TS, you MUST have
> individual dex.ini files.  Otherwise the integration would try to run
> against the last instance of GP that was logged into.
>
> --
> Victoria Yudin
> GP MVP
>

> "Charles Allen" <callen@nospam-bkd.com> wrote in message
> > In this case, it was to preserve the user's id. In the shared dex.ini, the
> > last person to log into GP is the name that appears for the next user. The
> > folks were complaining about this issue and the fix is relatively easy to
> > implement.
> > --
> > Charles Allen, MVP
> >

> > "Doug" wrote:
> >
> >> Just curious why would one want individual dex.ini files?  We use
> >> terminal
> >> server but also are not 'experts' with it.
> >>
> >> thanks!
> >> --
> >> Doug

0
Mario (61)
3/31/2006 4:49:44 PM
Mario,

I am interested in what you have done. can you elaborate on what you did. If
you have some documentation with screen shots on what you did, you can email
me at staceyleelee@hotmail.com

Stacey

"Mario" wrote:

> We are using GP 7.0 and GP 8.0 on Citrix.  We made dex.ini read only and
> deleted last user's id from the file.  Also we use Integration Manager and
> we've never had any problems with the shared dex.ini
>
> Mario
>
> "Victoria [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Also, if you are using Integration Manager on the TS, you MUST have
> > individual dex.ini files.  Otherwise the integration would try to run
> > against the last instance of GP that was logged into.
> >
> > --
> > Victoria Yudin
> > GP MVP
> >

> > "Charles Allen" <callen@nospam-bkd.com> wrote in message
> > > In this case, it was to preserve the user's id. In the shared dex.ini, the
> > > last person to log into GP is the name that appears for the next user. The
> > > folks were complaining about this issue and the fix is relatively easy to
> > > implement.
> > > --
> > > Charles Allen, MVP

0
Stacey (160)
3/31/2006 10:20:02 PM
Mario,

Not sure if there is a difference between doing this in Citrix and on
Terminal Server, but we were explicitly told by Microsoft Great Plains
support that not only will there be problems with Integration Manager if
there is only 1 dex.ini file, but that this configuration will not be
supported by them.  Again, we were talking about Terminal Server and
Integration Manager specifically.

--
Victoria Yudin
GP MVP

"Mario" <Mario@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We are using GP 7.0 and GP 8.0 on Citrix.  We made dex.ini read only and
> deleted last user's id from the file.  Also we use Integration Manager and
> we've never had any problems with the shared dex.ini
>
> Mario
>
> "Victoria [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Also, if you are using Integration Manager on the TS, you MUST have
>> individual dex.ini files.  Otherwise the integration would try to run
>> against the last instance of GP that was logged into.
>>
>> --
>> Victoria Yudin
>> GP MVP
>>

>> "Charles Allen" <callen@nospam-bkd.com> wrote in message
>> > In this case, it was to preserve the user's id. In the shared dex.ini,
>> > the
>> > last person to log into GP is the name that appears for the next user.
>> > The
>> > folks were complaining about this issue and the fix is relatively easy
>> > implement.
>> > --
>> > Charles Allen, MVP

0
victoria (3340)

Can DPM be configured to log events to a remote syslog server?
I see that I can use Microsoft's MOM to publish alerts, but is there a way to send them to a syslog server? Thanks, Phillip Datagram's SyslogAgent can be used to forward Windows system events to a Syslog server. And it's free. http://syslogserver.com/syslogagent.html Daniel "Phillip Wendell" wrote: > I see that I can use Microsoft's MOM to publish alerts, but is there a > way to send them to a syslog server? Thanks, > > Phillip > . > Looks like a good solution. Thanks... ...

OL2000: Propotional / fixed-width font settings
What is the significance of the proportional / fixed-width font options under International Font settings in Outlook? Outlook always chooses the proportional option anyway. Furthermore, how does Outlook reconcile the setting under "when composing and reading plain text" vs. the settings under International Fonts? Say I have a plain text message in ISO 8859-1. How does Outlook decide what font to use to display the text? ...

Underlying Connection was Closed when opening System Settings
I've seen a couple of threads on "Underlying Connection was Closed" when opening System Settings. I just found a solution not mentioned in those posts and thought I would add to the knowledge base. System Settings requires a connection to Microsoft SQL Reporting Server (SRS). If your SRS server is down or offline the above error will be displayed. Zack Jones Chief Architect Q1 Technology ...

Im desperate to fix my fragmented memor...will advanced server save me with the 3 gb switch?
Im desperate to fix my fragmented memory, will advanced server save me with the 3 gb switch? The Situation: -Server=Windows 2000 Server sp4. -2.5 gb of RAM -Exchange=Enterprise Ed with all service packs and hotfixes. -Group Shield virus scanning Every month I recieve eventid 9582's errors, and then 12800 mail processing errors. THIS IS FREAKING KILLING ME AT WORK. Here is what I have tried. -Regedit ajustment to the heep. -ADSI ajustment to the IS (which oddly removes the errors from the event log, however MOM still detects low virtual memory errors). -sp3 (which claims to have fixed ...

Remote Server Question
Right customer wants to acces his win2k8 server remotely. IT is using a generic printer from the server. At the office the printer is on a network. Terminal Services are being used to access the server remotely. What needs to be done to get said printer working? -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Never Satan President Republic! Beware AntiChrist rising! http://twitter.com/rootnl2k http://www.facebook.com/dyadallee UK Time for a Common Sense change vote Liberal Democrat / Alliance Whether "at the o...

Exchange 2003 server is a domain controller
Exchange 2003 on Win 2k Ent, 2 other DCs running Win 2003, single domain. The previous admin here made the exchange box a domain contoller. It's having some DNS problems looking for an old DC that doesn't exist anymore, log in issues etc. I'd like for it not to be a DC at all. The problem is that when I demote it from being a DC, no mail flows at all and OWC connections quit. Can someone explain to me why mail stops and what needs to happen for me to fix this? This is my last Win 2k box and I'm leary of trying to upgrade it in it's current condition. On Thu, 8 F...

Try Catch to Pinpoint Set-Based Error?
SQL 2008. I have a fairly simple Merge statement with this: When Not Matched Then Insert Values ( ... long column list ... cast( crazyCol1 as decimal(16,8) ) / 1000000 ) , cast( crazyCol2 as decimal(16,8) ) / 1000000 ) cast( crazyCol2 as decimal(16,8) ) / 1000000 ) cast( crazyCol2 as decimal(16,8) ) / 1000000 ) ) The insert source is about 50,000 rows. One of the rows is failing the cast (original source is varchar(36). I would like to implement a try/catch block around this somehow so I can catch the offending row. How can I do that? Thanks. SnapDive (...

SBS 2003 Server Reinstall/Move
I have a client who has an SBS2003 server that (1) has an inappropriate server name (EAT-ME) and is (2) running out of disk space. Is there a way to do a clean install of SBS and move over the user accounts and email store to the new server of a different name (SRV-SBS). I want a clean server for the client because I doubt the integrity of the server. John, You asked this question once and you have answers in that thread. Starting a new thread with the same question won't change the answer.. If the answers provided were unclear or if you want to reply to them to add c...

GP Extender Tables Question (GP9)
I have created an Extender window with 3 Fields (let’s just say price 1, price 2, price 3). I can see where it got created in table EXT40100, field User_Defined_Prompts_1 etc and I can also see where the data is stored in EXT00103. What I don’t see is where the prompts from EXT40100 are in its own rows so that you can link them to EXT00103 for reporting purposes. I know I can hard code the flags to their proper values in Crystal or set up my own custom table to do it but I would have thought that Extender will have a table like that. Am I just not seeing it? -- Pieter The prompts ...

News Feeds with Exchange 2003 Server
Hi I have a problem that Outlook clients cannot see News Feeds in the Public Folder/Internet Newsgroups after configuring newsfeeds on the Exchange server. The outlook clients can see the folder structure within Public Folder/Internet Newsgroups but there are no posts. Also when a new post is added using Outlook, the post does not get sent to the newsgroup on the internet, it only stays on the exchange server. Currently I'm using Outlook Express to subscribe and download newsfeeds and this works ok, so not a network or firewall problem. I would like to share some newsfeeds with...

installing Windows Server SP2 onto SBS 2003 SP1
I have SBS 2003 SP1. I have been keeping up with all the windows updates for this machine and would like to update the machine to SP2. I had heard that if you try to update the SBS 2003 SP1 server to SP2, you need to unload a lot of the updates issued after the SP2 was submitted. Is this true? Hi Carl, This hasn't been my experience. And there is no SBS 2003 SP2. It's Windows 2003 SP2 installed on top of SBS 2003 SP1 (which already has Win2003 SP1 installed). Run the SBS 2003 BPA prior to the install of Win2003 SP2 to make sure you don't have an issues ...

Outlook 2003 changing global auto archive settings?
Outlook offers to Run Auto Archive every days. It allows you to run it more frequently, but I would like to run it less frequently. In other words, I would like to run it every 120 days and then archive the bottom four months. It doesn't seem that you can change the auto archive setting above 60 days. Is there a way to do this? I have the box checked to ask me before auto archiving - but if I say no, will it continue to ask? Or, will it never ask again? Essentially I would like to archive every 4 months and not more frequently - and I would like to archive my inbox and my se...

CHtmlView show server busy dialog
Hi all, i use ChtmlView to display html, sometimes use clicked into a hyperlink, it showed a ServerBusy dialog. How to hide that dialog? ...

International Range style settings
Hi there, I am using Excel 2007, the Ducth version. I have created a workbook with macros, partly recorded. In one of the I am using some code like With ActiveCell If .Value < gdblNormValue Then .Style = "Ongeldig" End If End With In the English version it shoul be With ActiveCell If .Value < gdblNormValue Then .Style = "Bad" End If End With Is there a constant I can ue instead of the text "Bad"? Thanks Wouter Styles have both Name and Local name properties, so I *think* the English name should work ...

Single set of folders in Navigation Pane?
In Outlook 2007, I have Exchange Server and 2 POP accounts. I would like all of the messages from all of the accounts to display in the navigation pane in the same folders and follow the same rules and alerts. Currently I have Mailbox fro exchange and Personal folders for the 2 POP accounts. Can someone help me out with this? Thanks! You can set your delivery location for each account in; Tools-> Account Settings...-> tab Email You'll have to decide if you want the default location to be a pst-file or the Exchange mailbox. If you choose for a pst-file, all the d...

Archiving Dynamics GP MFG Data
Has anyone ever archived any of their Dynamics GP MFG Data? We need to do this but can't find any information on the best way to do so. Our data volume has grown over the years and queries are taking a performance hit as a result. In our test environment I found a 300% increase in efficiency when posting MO Receipts after deleting the data in the MOP1027 table, in which we had over 4 million records. I posted previously about MO Receipt posting being slower after upgrading and found that SQL 2k sp4 returns the following error found in the DEXSQL.log often when trying to perform inserts...

SFO causes High CPU utilization on SQL server
This recently started happening, and I am not sure why. I loaded SFO on two new laptops and attempted to go offline with each. The SQL Server is also the same server running CRM 1.2. When the synch starts on the client the SQL/CRM server instantly spikes to 100% and stays that way as the SFO client never finishes the synch process. Any ideas on a setting that might need to be changed or a patch, etc? Regards, Sean have you applied the outlook sfo client performance update which is available on support.microsoft.com/downloads? -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mscrmfaq...

MS CRM 1.2 and MS SQL SERVER REPORTING SERVICES
CAN MS CRM 1.2 CO-EXIST WITH MS SQL SERVER 2000 REPORTING SERVICES? WE CAN ONLY GET EITHER CRM OR REPORT SERVICES TO WORK NOT BOTH. THANKS. Yes, they can co-exist. Also, please DON'T SHOUT. Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 16:08:02 -0700, HEC <HEC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: CAN MS CRM 1.2 CO-EXIST WITH MS SQL SERVER 2000 REPORTING SERVICES? WE CAN ONLY GET EITHER CRM OR REPORT SERVICES TO WORK NOT BOTH. THANKS. Could you please enlighten us Matt? If one has CRM 1.2 in...

How do I set up auto complete from a drop down list in Excel 2000.
I have a 10 sheet workbook that I will be sending out to various users around the world. For their convenience, we are adding a lot of drop down lists for them to choose from. However, since there are many options to choose from in each list we would like for it to auto complete based on their initial entries: Ed -> list to jump to Edinburgh, etc.... I have enabled the AutoComplete in the cell values button in the Tools/Options/Edit tab, but it is still not working. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Hi not possible for the data validation listboxes --...

I need help setting up my database
I used Access in the past, so I have a general idea on how to use it, but now I have Microsoft 2007, so it's not as familiar. I currently have an excel document with staff names and drills they have performed. The drills include dates, times, an observer, and if they passed or failed. I had considered doing something where I had a table with all my staff, and then connecting tables for each person to list out the specifics for their drills. I don't know how to link the relationship with that though because the table name was the staff's name, so there wasn't a...

GP 9 upgrade Intergration Manager
I upgrade from 8.0 to 9.0 today, it went well, however when I went into intergration manager, none of the code we had in our 8.0 was listed. I did run the upgrade for IM from Disc 2. I can't find any documentation on how to move your IM 8.0 over to 9.0. Does anybody have any clues? Thank you! all user defined integrations are saved in Integration Manager folder called IM.mdb. by default it is saved in C:\Microsoft Business Solution\ Integration Manager, but it can be shared on the server. find the old IM.mdb and try to import integrations from there. There is no documention...

Setting series values on Excel Chart

Terminal server login environment
Hi Everyone, Having problems with GP and terminal server login. When the user logins I want it to bypass the desktop and go right into GP. I have tried creating a script and it is still not working. anyone have any ideas? thanks in advance Nic I've done this once before, and I will have to find my notes on how to do it. But I do remember it involving a macro. I'll post when I find it. "Nic" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2e60a01c46b69$2744e0a0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Hi Everyone, > > Having problems with GP and terminal...

Do I need Exchange Server ?
Heres my question: I have 2 computers. We'll call them Computer A and Computer B. My Main computer is Computer A and I have a few programs installed on it that I want Computer B to run. Mainly my MS Office Outlook. I want Computer B to execute MS Outlook from my Computer A through the LAN Network. I want Computer B to send and receive emails. Then when I open the program on computer A all the emails send and received will show up on computer A. Is this possible? Heres the low down. I run Computer A to build my web site. While the wifey handles the email/customer serive and orders....

How to set up a uato incremnt in sql server 5000 express
Hi, I'm trying to get into database programming. Cannot figure out how to do a auto int for my key value in sql server express. Ted On 19-12-2009 19:40, tedpottel wrote: > I'm trying to get into database programming. Cannot figure out how to > do a auto int for my key value in sql server express. Set IDENTITY on the field. Arne PS: This is a C# forum. "tedpottel" <tedpottel@gmail.com> wrote in message news:29a76b36-a911-425c-a46d-6f3c03ed5586@c3g2000yqd.googlegroups.com... > I'm trying to get into database programming. Cannot figu...