sql replication on GP 8.0

Hello,

    I was wondering if it is possible to setup replication on the Great 
Plains db's ie Dynamics and the company databases? If so which replication 
method does anyone suggest? Thanks in advance.

Jake 


0
3/21/2006 3:43:48 AM
greatplains 29623 articles. 6 followers. Follow

5 Replies
602 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 53

Jake-

I have tried this before, and I don't think it's possible.  The replication 
adds a column to every table (I forgot the name, but something like 
Replication ID).  This messes with the stored procs that dexterity uses to 
read the tables.

Regards,
Brenner
bklenzman@klenzmanconsulting.com

"Jake" wrote:

> Hello,
> 
>     I was wondering if it is possible to setup replication on the Great 
> Plains db's ie Dynamics and the company databases? If so which replication 
> method does anyone suggest? Thanks in advance.
> 
> Jake 
> 
> 
> 
0
bklenzman (99)
3/29/2006 3:51:01 PM
We ran into the same problem. I believe you are refering to the Identity row 
that causes the problem in snapshot replication.  It also puts a big CPU hit 
on a server.

To create a fail over we scripted a server migration along with Transact 
scripts to backup the company databases and restore them to the failover 
server. 

We set this up in a DTS package and have it running every hour.  

It passed the Sarbanes Oxley audit for a publicly traded company. 

End users can log in on the fly and the failover is not in single user mode.
/:>


"bklenzman" wrote:

> Jake-
> 
> I have tried this before, and I don't think it's possible.  The replication 
> adds a column to every table (I forgot the name, but something like 
> Replication ID).  This messes with the stored procs that dexterity uses to 
> read the tables.
> 
> Regards,
> Brenner
> bklenzman@klenzmanconsulting.com
> 
> "Jake" wrote:
> 
> > Hello,
> > 
> >     I was wondering if it is possible to setup replication on the Great 
> > Plains db's ie Dynamics and the company databases? If so which replication 
> > method does anyone suggest? Thanks in advance.
> > 
> > Jake 
> > 
> > 
> > 
0
4/5/2006 8:13:01 AM
Curt,

I use the first part of your method to actually backup the SQL Dynamics 
Databases to tape and have tested restore to same SQL server with out a 
hitch.  Howerver, how about to another SQL server which is remote connecting 
via a WAN connection.

Thanks.

"Curt Spanburgh" wrote:

> We ran into the same problem. I believe you are refering to the Identity row 
> that causes the problem in snapshot replication.  It also puts a big CPU hit 
> on a server.
> 
> To create a fail over we scripted a server migration along with Transact 
> scripts to backup the company databases and restore them to the failover 
> server. 
> 
> We set this up in a DTS package and have it running every hour.  
> 
> It passed the Sarbanes Oxley audit for a publicly traded company. 
> 
> End users can log in on the fly and the failover is not in single user mode.
> /:>
> 
> 
> "bklenzman" wrote:
> 
> > Jake-
> > 
> > I have tried this before, and I don't think it's possible.  The replication 
> > adds a column to every table (I forgot the name, but something like 
> > Replication ID).  This messes with the stored procs that dexterity uses to 
> > read the tables.
> > 
> > Regards,
> > Brenner
> > bklenzman@klenzmanconsulting.com
> > 
> > "Jake" wrote:
> > 
> > > Hello,
> > > 
> > >     I was wondering if it is possible to setup replication on the Great 
> > > Plains db's ie Dynamics and the company databases? If so which replication 
> > > method does anyone suggest? Thanks in advance.
> > > 
> > > Jake 
> > > 
> > > 
> > > 
0
Elmo218 (3)
5/4/2006 3:36:01 AM
Elmo-
I used a method similar to what Curt describes to have a "warm" backup 
server in CA and the live box was in CT.  We only performed the replication 
on a nightly basis due to the network load required to ship the backups, but 
it worked fine.  When restoring GP databases on a different server, there are 
some additional scripts you need to run to make sure the SQL logins come 
across correctly (see TechKnowledge on restoring to a different server).

Brenner

"Elmo218" wrote:

> Curt,
> 
> I use the first part of your method to actually backup the SQL Dynamics 
> Databases to tape and have tested restore to same SQL server with out a 
> hitch.  Howerver, how about to another SQL server which is remote connecting 
> via a WAN connection.
> 
> Thanks.
> 
> "Curt Spanburgh" wrote:
> 
> > We ran into the same problem. I believe you are refering to the Identity row 
> > that causes the problem in snapshot replication.  It also puts a big CPU hit 
> > on a server.
> > 
> > To create a fail over we scripted a server migration along with Transact 
> > scripts to backup the company databases and restore them to the failover 
> > server. 
> > 
> > We set this up in a DTS package and have it running every hour.  
> > 
> > It passed the Sarbanes Oxley audit for a publicly traded company. 
> > 
> > End users can log in on the fly and the failover is not in single user mode.
> > /:>
> > 
> > 
> > "bklenzman" wrote:
> > 
> > > Jake-
> > > 
> > > I have tried this before, and I don't think it's possible.  The replication 
> > > adds a column to every table (I forgot the name, but something like 
> > > Replication ID).  This messes with the stored procs that dexterity uses to 
> > > read the tables.
> > > 
> > > Regards,
> > > Brenner
> > > bklenzman@klenzmanconsulting.com
> > > 
> > > "Jake" wrote:
> > > 
> > > > Hello,
> > > > 
> > > >     I was wondering if it is possible to setup replication on the Great 
> > > > Plains db's ie Dynamics and the company databases? If so which replication 
> > > > method does anyone suggest? Thanks in advance.
> > > > 
> > > > Jake 
> > > > 
> > > > 
> > > > 
0
bklenzman (99)
5/4/2006 10:38:02 AM
There is a new script that creates a text file that can be copied to a remote 
server and then another Transact script to apply the migration to the tables.

But I like what we did using the Migration scripts from the Partner source 
site.

At another client we are using "Double Take" because he was afraid of the 
scripts.

The admin is new to SQL.  Fear of the Unknown, I guess.   I have it too.

As for doing this over a Wan connection, I think a good VPN would do, 
although I've found Snapshot Replication to a server in Asia very slow.  

Lots of RPC traffic there.  If the company databases are big, then the 
transfer is going to slow you down.



"bklenzman" wrote:

> Elmo-
> I used a method similar to what Curt describes to have a "warm" backup 
> server in CA and the live box was in CT.  We only performed the replication 
> on a nightly basis due to the network load required to ship the backups, but 
> it worked fine.  When restoring GP databases on a different server, there are 
> some additional scripts you need to run to make sure the SQL logins come 
> across correctly (see TechKnowledge on restoring to a different server).
> 
> Brenner
> 
> "Elmo218" wrote:
> 
> > Curt,
> > 
> > I use the first part of your method to actually backup the SQL Dynamics 
> > Databases to tape and have tested restore to same SQL server with out a 
> > hitch.  Howerver, how about to another SQL server which is remote connecting 
> > via a WAN connection.
> > 
> > Thanks.
> > 
> > "Curt Spanburgh" wrote:
> > 
> > > We ran into the same problem. I believe you are refering to the Identity row 
> > > that causes the problem in snapshot replication.  It also puts a big CPU hit 
> > > on a server.
> > > 
> > > To create a fail over we scripted a server migration along with Transact 
> > > scripts to backup the company databases and restore them to the failover 
> > > server. 
> > > 
> > > We set this up in a DTS package and have it running every hour.  
> > > 
> > > It passed the Sarbanes Oxley audit for a publicly traded company. 
> > > 
> > > End users can log in on the fly and the failover is not in single user mode.
> > > /:>
> > > 
> > > 
> > > "bklenzman" wrote:
> > > 
> > > > Jake-
> > > > 
> > > > I have tried this before, and I don't think it's possible.  The replication 
> > > > adds a column to every table (I forgot the name, but something like 
> > > > Replication ID).  This messes with the stored procs that dexterity uses to 
> > > > read the tables.
> > > > 
> > > > Regards,
> > > > Brenner
> > > > bklenzman@klenzmanconsulting.com
> > > > 
> > > > "Jake" wrote:
> > > > 
> > > > > Hello,
> > > > > 
> > > > >     I was wondering if it is possible to setup replication on the Great 
> > > > > Plains db's ie Dynamics and the company databases? If so which replication 
> > > > > method does anyone suggest? Thanks in advance.
> > > > > 
> > > > > Jake 
> > > > > 
> > > > > 
> > > > > 
0
5/4/2006 4:22:02 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Converting Crystal report from MSCRM 1.2
I have a client who has upgraded to V3.0 for CRM. They want to continue using Crystal for their reporting engine because they have 40 custom reports. Does anyone know how to easily accomplish this? I have created a new connection to the new CRM Views in SQL, but I can't seem to figure out how to easily replace all the fields that are currently in the report using the SSO connection to my new connection. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Amy many of the services such as rpttosql.com say they will only convert so far. some even say they will only get the general lay...

Can MSCRM_CONFIG be renamed (in SQL)?
Question is from one of our customers. I believe not... Just say no. kinda like those t-shirts in the 80s. Dave Ireland "Alex (crm-resultants.nl)" <Alexcrmresultantsnl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BE7200E8-A6FD-468E-ACC1-F33F48A7806D@microsoft.com... > Question is from one of our customers. > I believe not... ...

Bank Recon GP 10 problem
Hi We are a VAR that's upgraded one client to GP 10 and installed GP 10 for another new client, both on SQL 2000. In both cases there's an incorrect balance showing for Cashbook Balance field (cashbook maintenance screen) using the Bank Recon module. Also the cashbook balance is not re-calculated (recon screen) when "Incl Trans To Date" field is changed, for both clients. We can update the balance in Cashbook Master table (CM00100) in SQL but this doesn't solve the problem. Any suggestions? ...

Numbers turn red when equals to 0
Good day, Im monitoring our stock inventory using excel, i just want to know if I can make a certain cell turn red if my inventory is >5 or equal to zero.? Thanks -- shiela21cute ------------------------------------------------------------------------ shiela21cute's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=33169 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=529926 Check out Conditional formatting Ed -- EdMac ------------------------------------------------------------------------ EdMac's Profile: http://www.excelforum...

Date format of 0 and if statements
I have an is statment as such: =IF('Raw Data'!A5=0,,'Raw Data'!A5) This issue I have is when I format fields as "date" and the reference cell = 0 excel formates the cell as 01/00/00. I have also used the formula: =IF('Raw Data'!A5=0,"",'Raw Data'!A5) The issue I have is I want to create graphs of this data in a dynamic fashion, but when the data range of the graph encounters either "" or 1/00/00 as a date, it plots it as a data point. I need a way to make my IF statment to produce a BLANK or EMPTY cell. Is there a key word in...

Synchonization with SFO 3.0 performance
Hello everyone, I would like to know if the syncronization of the Sales for Outlook has better performance in release 3.0 ?? Is there a place i can find information on the way the new SFO is working ? Thank you, -- Marie-C I was meaning 'Is there a place i can find information on the way the new SFO is built' . Does it still use Cassini ? Thank you -- MC "MC" wrote: > > Hello everyone, > > I would like to know if the syncronization of the Sales for Outlook has > better performance in release 3.0 ?? > > Is there a place i can find in...

CRM 4.0 Client Rollups ( all of them) fail
All- Have a CRM 4.0 install and have applied the rollups to 4 level- all server rollups went fine. When trying to apply a roll up ( I tried 1 2 4 and 5 ) I am getting a failure Thanks for the look! here is part of the log- 11:17:56| Info| === Managed setup logging started: 7/10/2009 11:17:56 AM === 11:17:56|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.UpdateWrapper.UpdateSetup.Initialize 11:17:56|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.SetupBase.Initialize 11:17:56|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.SetupBase.Initialize 11:17:56|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.UpdateWra...

How to integrate Chunk file with GP.
Hello everyone, I am new to GP. I have got a chunk file from a customer. That chunk file contains an HR module created by someone for that customer. Now, customer wants that all the business logic should be transfered from Dexterity to .Net managed code. For that he provided me a chunk file, and database backup (SQL Server). Now when I placed the chunk file into the GP folder and start GP, pop-up asks me to include new code, if I press yes then that new code is included. Here, I need to clearify that currently I am working on Sample Company (because, I can not find any way to start GP...

Access 2007 SQL Pass Through Queries
I have an Access 2003 mdb that I use to connect to a SQL 2005 database. When I open the application in Access 2007 it errors on using SQL pass through queries. I see that pass through queries (amongst other options) have been disabled under Access 2007. However it seems that they are enabled under certain circumstances so I've been trying to get them working by changing the security settings. The queries are still failing after setting the following: - Sandbox Mode to 0 (turn off sandbox mode for all apps) - Applied a recognised Digital Signature - Trusted the Publisher - Trusted the loc...

Read XML into Dataset and load SQL server table from Dataset
Hello all, I am working on a project with the following characteristics: 1. Load data from a SQL server table to an xml file 2. Read the xml file into a dataset. 3. Load data from the dataset into another SQL server table. I was able to accomplish the first objective. I used the following code to read the generated xml file into a dataset. Dim strXml As String = "C:\Customers.xml" Dim sr As StreamReader = New StreamReader(strXml) Dim ds As DataSet = New DataSet ds.ReadXml(sr, XmlReadMode.IgnoreSchema) How can I traverse in the dataset and post each row to my desired table on ...

Integration GP 8.0 with CRM 3.0
Hi. i'm newbie in GP but i have been know CRM 3.0, i want to do integration between GP and CRM using Microsoft Dynamics CRM Connector for Microsoft Dynamics GP. After all installation and configuration, the integration was work. I add an account in CRM then the account which i was added is display in GP (as customer). But why the order between GP and CRM can't integrate? I was follow the instruction in the integration guide. The guide book says that the tax details, tax schedules, shipping methods, payment terms, unit of measure, unit of measure schedules, price groups, price le...

Vlookup question #8
Hi- I have a spreadsheet that looks at individuals and the amount they paid within a certain year for healthcare expenditures. Based upon this level of expenditure, I would like Excel to spit out the Category that the individual falls into. Here is what the table for looking up the category looks like: A B C Category Min Max 00 $0 $20 01 $20 $165 Thus, if the expenditure is $17, they would fall into category 00. How do I do this in Excel? I know its probably an easy VLOOKUP function but I'm not sure how to do the VLOOKUP function when telling Excel th...

GP2010
What are the options for a Requisition Management solution for new GP BRL Adv Mgmt customers? It is my understanding that the Req Mgmt module has been taken off the GP BRL AM price list. Thanks, John ...

re replicate adc user accounts
Hello all, Some time ago during a migration from exchange 5.5 to exchange 2003. Some of our users were deleted after they were replicated over using the ADC, after contacting microsoft they instructed us to gointo exchange 5.5 admin.exe /r in raw mode and modify a attribute, and then replicate adc and your users will replicate over. I cant seem to remember what these attribute changes were could sombody point me in the right direction. The following KB describes the fix for your issue. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;256862 Stephen Shanks "Brian B" &...

vendors and Items replicated to another company.
My customer has 2 companies under GP The 2 companies shared similar vendors and items. they wanted the system which allows vendors and items created in 1 company to be replicated to the next company. Anyone know any 3rd party module can manage! Example: A create a new item01 and it will automatic replicated to company B. Chris, There are 'master trigger' tools sold by Microsoft that can do this for Vendors, Customers and GL accounts - they're part of the Professional Services Tools Library. I don't know of a tool for inventory items. -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP...

Profits of IE 7.0 to 8.0 update if usage for adminstrative tasks only
OS: XP, Vista and 7 Case: IE used for administrative tasks only, never for web browsing What are the benefits of upgrading the IE from 7.x to 8.x in this case ? This FAQ answers common enterprise customer questions about Windows Internet Explorer 8. "Windows Internet Explorer 8 FAQ for Business" http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e1da2f8c-f982-4cae-a83a-831188e57df9&displaylang=en --- Leonard Grey Errare humanum est kakii wrote: > > OS: XP, Vista and 7 > Case: IE used for administrative tasks only, never for web browsing &...

PaperSizes.Count returns 0
Hi All I have a Hp printer 1280 that is installed in windows 7. when I use following code to get Paper count. System.Drawing.Printing.PrinterSettings p = new System.Drawing.Printing.PrinterSettings(); MessageBox.Show(p.PaperSizes.Count.ToString()); it reutrns 0.I can't print from my programm but printer directly works fine. System.Drawing.Printing.PrinterSettings p = new System.Drawing.Printing.PrinterSettings(); p.PrinterName is returned correctly except PaperSize.Count. my program unser winXp works correctly but Win7. Is it possible it's caused by Printer ...

libwww compilation on MSVC 7.0
I am developing some c/c++ programs to fetch .zip files from various external spatial data providers. I need to build the libwww libary in order to make sure that I can write code to download these files via http and ftp protocols without using Microsoft-specific functionality. (client requirement) According to their site.... "Libwww is a highly modular, general-purpose client side Web API written in C for Unix and Windows (Win32) It's well suited for both small and large applications, like browser/editors,robots,batch tools, etc." I've downloaded the Windows installation ...

What does the program return value mean, for example 0(0x0) or 2 (0x2), when debug a program?
What does the program return value mean, for example 0(0x0) or 2 (0x2), when debug a program? -- ___________________ Xiongjun Xia It's what WinMain (or main) returns. -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] "Xia Xiongjun" <xj-14@126.com> wrote in message news:%23wHd$78tFHA.2392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > What does the program return value mean, for example 0(0x0) or 2 (0x2), > when debug a program? > > -- > ___________________ > Xiongjun Xia > Think of these as random numbers. That way you won't be misled into thinking they have any significanc...

archiving #8
Hi All: I'm trying to reduce the size of my Money 2003 file. I figured that I'd use the archiving feature. However, after archiving, the balances on all my accounts are messed up. It seems that Money just moves the transactions that meet the archiving criteria but doesn't take that into account when calculating the balances of the accounts. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a trick to archiving so that the account balances are not "messed up"? Any help is appreciated. Joe Many of us say DO NOT ARCHIVE. As you have painfully found out it doesn't do what ...

Money 2004 deluxe #8
Money Deluxe 2004 does not download stock/money market transactions from the bank. Is there a Microsoft Money product which will perform this function? In microsoft.public.money, Ron wrote: >Money Deluxe 2004 does not download stock/money market >transactions from the bank. Is there a Microsoft Money >product which will perform this function? East bank of the Mississippi? ...

sql sp4 to server
If I apply sql 2000 sp4 do I also need to apply sp4 to the desktop engine on my laptop clients using outlook client? I meant to say that If I apply sql sp4 to the CRM server (which is running sql locally) will I also need to aplly sp4 to the MSDE instances on my laptop users PC's using the Outlook client? Sorry just a little anxious\nervous when it comes to CRM 1.2. Trying to get to CRM 3.0 "dstinnett" wrote: > If I apply sql 2000 sp4 do I also need to apply sp4 to the desktop engine on > my laptop clients using outlook client? Yes sp4 is required for the msde. ...

=?Utf-8?Q?Can=E2=80=99t_retrieve_data=2C_what_trigge?= =?Utf-8?Q?r_should_I_register_and_where=3F?=
I have customized one form of GP. I have created one new table and give appropriate relationship. My data is saved in new table using dexterity (Trigger Registration). But I can’t retrieve my saved data in GP forms. To retrieve records from my new table in GP, which trigger I should register? I have registered trigger (Trigger_RegisterDatabase). But it does not retrieve record from new table. What should I do to perform this task? Help me out. Thanks in advance. Nupur, Your trigger will very much depend on which form you have modified. For example, I display an additional field on form...

Need help with Formula #8
Hi people, i am having a little trouble with a formula that i am trying to use and would appreciate any help. I am trying to divide a particular cell by 30 to get daily dollar average. In the cell that i would like the average to appear in, i used the following formula... "=(D25/30)" My problem is two fold: 1. The result it is giving me, is not being expressed as a dollar amount; for instance, i need the result to display as $128.80, instead it is being displayed as "128.80". 2. It is not rounding up to a traditional dollar amount, instead it is giving me a number ...

Server list blank when launching GP Utilities
We just installed GP 9.0 on a new workstation. When we try to launch GP Utilities, we do not see our ODBC connection in the list of server names. The list is blank. We did create the System DSN correctly. Any ideas? Are you logged in as an administrator of that machine? Usually when you create a system DSN as a non-administrative user, for some strange reason Windows will let you continue with the procedure, but will not save the connection. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com The Dynamics GP Blogster a...