SQL 2000 with GP another application

Hi there

we are currently assessing an "issue tracking" software which also uses SQL
server.

We are already running SQL for our GP 8.0 and I am curious to know if we can
run this other application along with GP.

This application is totally seperate and will not link with GP, also would
be used by a totally seperate group then the GP users.

We have suffient hardware in the server...fro the extra load.

Any one have any good links...or real experience with something like this??

TIA

Tami

0
TamiFarrelly (100)

There should be no difficulty. One SQL Server can support many applications.
Of course for performance reasons you may want to monitor the situation.

"Tami Farrelly" <TamiFarrelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there
>
> we are currently assessing an "issue tracking" software which also uses
> SQL
> server.
>
> We are already running SQL for our GP 8.0 and I am curious to know if we
> can
> run this other application along with GP.
>
> This application is totally seperate and will not link with GP, also would
> be used by a totally seperate group then the GP users.
>
> We have suffient hardware in the server...fro the extra load.
>
> Any one have any good links...or real experience with something like
> this??
>
> TIA
>
> Tami

0
AAinTX (120)
6/6/2005 7:09:26 PM
Thank you for your prompt response...being new to SQL and its
capabilities...I just wanted to confirm.

This is definately a "lite" app compared to GP

I will monitor the resources

Tami

"Thomas R. Moore" wrote:

> There should be no difficulty. One SQL Server can support many applications.
> Of course for performance reasons you may want to monitor the situation.
>
> "Tami Farrelly" <TamiFarrelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi there
> >
> > we are currently assessing an "issue tracking" software which also uses
> > SQL
> > server.
> >
> > We are already running SQL for our GP 8.0 and I am curious to know if we
> > can
> > run this other application along with GP.
> >
> > This application is totally seperate and will not link with GP, also would
> > be used by a totally seperate group then the GP users.
> >
> > We have suffient hardware in the server...fro the extra load.
> >
> > Any one have any good links...or real experience with something like
> > this??
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Tami

0
TamiFarrelly (100)
6/6/2005 8:30:01 PM
Tami,

A couple of other issues to consider:

- will security for the other app need to be handled separately or
differently for the other app?
- does SQL Server need to be setup in a particular way for the other app
that might not be 'compatible' with what GP needs?
- are there times when you would need to stop or restart SQL Server for one
app, but would need the other to be still running?  (maintenance, upgrades,
etc.)

If the answer to all of those is no, you are probably ok, but in my
experience there is a very delicate balancing act that is needed when you're
putting 2 different applications on the same SQL Server instance and it's
usually better to have a separate instance of SQL Server for each
application, whether on the same physical server or not.

Just my 2 cents.

--
Victoria Yudin
Microsoft MVP - Great Plains

> Thank you for your prompt response...being new to SQL and its
> capabilities...I just wanted to confirm.
>
> This is definately a "lite" app compared to GP
>
> I will monitor the resources
>
> Tami
>

> "Thomas R. Moore" wrote:
>
>> There should be no difficulty. One SQL Server can support many
>> applications.
>> Of course for performance reasons you may want to monitor the situation.
>>
>> "Tami Farrelly" <TamiFarrelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi there
>> >
>> > we are currently assessing an "issue tracking" software which also uses
>> > SQL
>> > server.
>> >
>> > We are already running SQL for our GP 8.0 and I am curious to know if
>> > we
>> > can
>> > run this other application along with GP.
>> >
>> > This application is totally seperate and will not link with GP, also
>> > would
>> > be used by a totally seperate group then the GP users.
>> >
>> > We have suffient hardware in the server...fro the extra load.
>> >
>> > Any one have any good links...or real experience with something like
>> > this??
>> >
>> > TIA
>> >
>> > Tami

0
victoria (3340)

Upload Form From MS word 2000
If there is anyone ot there that can help me out with this issue, I would be eternally greatful. I have created a form in ms word and I need this form added to my Website. There's only one problem. . . . I haven't the darndest idea as how to upload the stinking form!!!!!! In Desperate Times, Karl D. Ross Address this question to a word newsgroup or a html ng, not to the Microsoft CRM ng. -- Brandon IT Director Office Equipment & Supplies at http://www.presentationsdirect.com "Karl D. Ross" <diamondross1@comcast.net> wrote in message news:1fc301c352fc$9...

Rename database Object from another Database
I need to Delete a table and rename other table with the name of the deleted table. But I wan to do all this from another database using VBA Hi, you can do something like this, air code to show the idea: dim dbs as database set dbs=dbengine.opnedatabase ("c:\my.mdb") dim tdf as tabledef set tdf=dbs.tabledefs("MyTable") tdf.name="NewTableName" dbs.close and you can use TableDefs.Delete to delete table -- Best regards, ___________ Alex Dybenko (MVP) http://accessblog.net http://www.PointLtd.com "Manuelauch" <Manuelauc...

Finding the currently selected cell in another worksheet
Hi, In Excel 2002 I want to display the current row of worksheet A in worksheet B (in another format). Does anyone know how to do this? Ideal would be if this updates automatically, but performance wise I guess a macro activated by a button in worksheet A would be the best solution. TBH, Jeroen Jeroen, I don't know of a way in a formula to determine the active cell of the worksheet. Worksheets other than the active one don't have an active cell. I think macros are the only way. Put this in a regular module: Public Roww As Long Put this in the sheet A module: Private Sub W...

credit card trans from one to another
My wife has her own copy of money 2003 on her own computer. She downloads monthly credit card transactions and then goes through each transaction and assigns a category/subcategory. She prints out a monthly transaction report and gives it to me. I then pay it via an online bank and use split transactions to enter the category/subcategory information manually. The transaction then shows up as being a bank rather than credit card transaction in the reports. As an attempt to avoid the manual transfer of information, she exported the transactions to a gif file. I then import them to my money. On...

referencing another sheet and using auto fill
Hi there. I'm trying to create a summary sheet to summarise data from 12 sheets (jan to dec). I have 84 lines each with a member of staff and I need to produce a table with the totals of thei leave in each month. Each seperate month sheet has 84 lines and a total for each person already on it. I need to end up with something like this on the summary sheet: jan feb mar etc total peter's leave totals for month and year: 3 4 1 8 john's leave totals for month and year: 7 2 3 ...

What is wrong with this SQL?
I am trying to delete all the data from 3 tables using this SQL in a query: DELETE WBS_List_PRPS.* FROM WBS_List_PRPS DELETE WBS_Dates_PRTE.* FROM WBS_Dates_PRTE DELETE MWO_Header_ZIW39.* FROM MWO_Header_ZIW39; When I try to save I get syntax error in FROM clause. If I only try to delete from one table: DELETE MWO_Header_ZIW39.* FROM MWO_Header_ZIW39; Then it works fine. What am I missing? Thanks! Joe M. You can only delete records from one table at a time. You can run the three delete queries separately. -- Daryl S "Joe M." wrote: > I ...

Excel VBA
Hi. Is it possible to use VBA in one workbook to copy a worksheet fro another workbook into another different workbook? If so....how? Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try recoding a macro while doing this manually. And yes it is possible :-) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "cjh1984 >" <<cjh1984.16x63k@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:cjh1984.16x63k@excelforum-nospam.com... > Hi. > > Is it possible to use VBA in one workbook to copy a worksheet from > another workbook into another different workbook? ...

SQL server service
Hi All, In the task manager, under the processes, the SQL server service is running at 1.7 gig. The server has been rebooted but after running low for a while has now shot up to 1.7GB again. Has anyone else noticed this? or know how to limit process size ??? Thanks. Regards, Nathan Warner its hard to say you could have a 100 users who rarely use the system of 10 users who are hitting it hard each day. I would try 512mb to start with. ======================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm "Nathan Warner" <NathanWarner@discu...

Outlook 2000 display name
Trying to change the display name of an account in Outlook 2000 SP-3 Windows XP machine But I can't find the option to do it, all I keep on getting is e-mail services and nothing that says accounts even when I go through options. Any help would be appreciated Corp/Workgroup mode does not use the term account. Your Internet Mail Service is your email account. Set the name there in Properties -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Miranda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0c2a01c46e89$a46fc5e0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Trying to change the display n...

changing from outlook 2000 to outlook xp
i just bought a new computer and want to move all my outlook 2000 personal folders from my old computer--to my new computer which is running outlook xp. What's the best way to do this? thanks, Sammy http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer sammy russo <sammy@aorafting.com> asked: | i just bought a new computer and want to move all my | outlook 2000 personal folders from my old computer--to my | new computer which is runnin...

Converting a Exchange 2000 IS to Exchange 2003
I was tryingto convert Exchange 2000 Public IS to an Exchange 2003 Publix IS. How can I convert it and once converted how can I restore it to an Exchange 2003 Public IS? Eric Eric wrote: > I was tryingto convert Exchange 2000 Public IS to an > Exchange 2003 Publix IS. How can I convert it and once > converted how can I restore it to an Exchange 2003 Public > IS? > > Eric If you restore it to an Exchange 2003 server then the database will be upgraded to an Exchange 2003 version of the database. Or do an in-place upgrade of the Exchange 2000 server. ...

Keystrokes and mouse clicks to another app
Hi all, I'm managing a project that will, as part of it, require me (so I'm told) to type in 800 NI numbers. I have the numbers in a file, but they can't (or won't) upload them. I was therefore considering writing an app that will enter these numbers via their interface, by sending keystrokes and mouse clicks to their window. I'm guessing that I need to get a handle to it and then send it messages, but that's as far as I've got. I believe that the app is web-based, running in IE6. It may be more effort to do it this way, of course, but it'll be a lot more int...

Condensing text values from one wksht to another
I have text data in column A of sheet one that is too lengthy. I wish to condense the data by copying JUST that data that leads up to the first space (break in the string)and copy to column A of sheet two. Example: blah,blah,blah blahhhh becomes blah,blah,blah. Is there a formula for the destination cell in sheet two that will accomplish this task, or does it require vba? If so, could someone walk me through it?? I am nearing desperation. Please help!!!! Jayceejay, In cell A1 of sheet2 fill in this formula and copy it down to A?? =LEFT(Sheet1!A1,FIND(" ",Sheet1!A1,1)-1) I ass...

Outlook 2000 and IMAP
Hi I am using Outlook 2000 on Win XP Home. Until now I have only used POP/SMTP but am looking to use IMAP. I can add the account into Outlook without a problem, however as soon as Outlook tries to connect it freezes. I connect to the same IMAP account without a problem in Outlook Express and via the servers' webmail, or via POP/SMTP in Outlook 2000. Is this a known problem or can anyone shed any light?? The mail server in use is MDaemon Pro 6.8.5. Thanks in advance Paul Marshall. hmmmmmmmmmm... are you running the IMAP server on an internal network? if so that is the problem...

Exchante 2000 deleted public folder
Using Exchange 2000 a client deleted a public folder called say AAA by mistake. It staff member. Therefore the folder had an email address of AAA@xxx.nsw.gov.au. We found an old PST and tried under exchange admin to recreate the folder. It kept saying email address already exists. Found under AD users/computers advanced the Exchange folder and found the object for this folder. How do we recreate the folder using the same email address. This email address is published on our website so we cannot change it. Urgent any hep accepted -- Kath On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:41:03 -0800, Kaddi...

RichTextBox in WPF raised InvalidComObjectException in release build application
I got InvalidComObjectException on exit on release build application. If I don't use RichTextBox, I don't see crash. In debug build application, I also don't see crash. On some release machine, even if I call CurrentDispather.InvokeShutdown won't eliminate crash. My main appliation is a unmanaged MFC. The WPF control is embedded in CView in this MFC application. Any idea or suggestion? Thanks. Leo wrote: > I got InvalidComObjectException on exit on release build application. > If I don't use RichTextBox, I don't see crash. In debug build > applic...

Excel Re-calculation 2000 compared to 2003
My company has recently deployed MS Office 2003. The previously deployed version was Office 2000. One of our users has an 11MB financial workbook that contains lots of formula. Mostly of IF, SUMIF and SUM calculations. There are plenty of links between the 25 worksheets within the one workbook but no links to other workbooks. Entering data into the workbook using Excel 2000 is nearly instantaneous. However entering data into Excel 2003 takes about 15 seconds each time I press enter (or direction key) as the workbook recalculates each time. The settings for calculation are identical with cal...

Open another program sing VBA
Hi all, I would like to open another program, (MYOB), by clicking its picture that I've pasted to a worksheet. I know how to assign a macro to the picture but I'm having difficulties in writing the macro to execute the MYOB program. Rob Hi Rob, Right-click the picture and assign a hyperlink to it. Ed Ferrero "Rob" <NA> wrote in message news:ONCsTTYMFHA.3796@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi all, > > I would like to open another program, (MYOB), by clicking its picture that > I've pasted to a worksheet. I know how to assign a macro to the picture...

Requery one subform from another
Hi guys, I have a combobox on a subform within a subform on a tabbed control on a mainform. The content of this combo box is "Username" and determined by a username field in a users table. That users table can be appended using another subform on the mainform. Does anyone know the requery code so that if I add a record to the table, the combobox will automatically be updated so that the new record is available to select in the combo box? Tony Hiya I figured it out. I was going about it in totally the wrong way. I just stuck a Requery in the OnGotFocus event on the combobox. I ca...

copying a cell to another cell automatically
Hi, I'm trying to set up my worksheet so that if the value in column E is changed to 100%, the value in column A of that row automatically changes to 100, regardless of its original value. At the same time, I don't want to lock down column A - the user can enter any value in here when E is not 100%. How do I go about doing this? Do I need to write a macro? Thanks! Amit Hi, You'll have to do this as a little macro. Go into the VB editor and add the following into the relevant Sheet. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Column = 5 And Target = 100...

Link variable data from one worksheet to another worksheet?
I am trying to link variable data from one worksheet (my source worksheet) to several other worksheets. For example, my source worksheet has two variables or columns: 'Team' and 'Bye Week'. The first entry under the 'team' column reads 'NE'. Let's say for this example that the first entry under the 'Bye Week' column is the number '10'. Given this, I want every entry under the 'Team' column in other worksheets that read 'NE', to read the number '10' under the 'Bye Week' column. Let's also say tha...

Exch 2000 server freezing several times a week
a little background I have an exchnge server all patched up, running on Win2k. My exch server will pause for a few minutes several times a week. I have 2 DC, both GC, the Exch server was a DC but removed at MS requeust and added a second nic. Running all private IP's, DNS servers are AD integrated, no WINS I ran dciag /v /l , here are my errors DC list test . . . . . . . . . . . : Failed [WARNING] Cannot call DsBind to ics-ml330-04.domain.com (10.0.0.110). [ERROR_INVALID_PASSWORD] List of DCs in Domain 'Domain': ics-ml330-04.domain.com ics-ml330-03.domain...

Custom .Net development / integration with GP
Does anyone have experience with creating custom .net applications that can integrate into GP? I'm new to GP and don't have any specific use in mind, yet. But I've been reading about eConnect as the data transport API. Is that the route to take for data migration into GP? There's a really good write up in the SDK (disk 2 of GP 7.5) that explains what's the best path for your needs. I can't seem to find it atm, but e-connect is the default for the list. The "right" path is really dependent on what you hope to accomplish. If you're looking to get r...

Convert Lotus 123 Release 9 to Excel 2000
Can a Lotus 123 Release 9 spread sheet be converted to Excel 2000. Lotus spreadsheet is a basic spread sheet. stan stan, Macros won't convert but the basic spreadsheet should. From Lotus, do a "Save As" Microsoft Excel 97 Workbook. You should then be able to open it from Excel. Most formulas will automatically convert. John stan wrote: > Can a Lotus 123 Release 9 spread sheet be converted to > Excel 2000. Lotus spreadsheet is a basic spread sheet. > > stan "stan" <zpq@comcast.net> wrote... >Can a Lotus 123 Release 9 spread sheet be conver...

How to store & read different types of file in SQL server
Hello Guys, please any one help. I have a table in SQL server called Files as Files(FileID IDENTITY(1,1), FileData text,......) The requirement is to accept a file name from user & store the file (its data) into DB. & also at later stage I need to read the Data. Iam developing the application in MFC ( Visual Studio 2005). Also please tell me which blob is to be used text, ntext or image as the file could be of any type.Please tell me how to store & get Blobs from DB. ...