Smartlist created from view blank for users

I have a smartlist that I created from a view on one of my GP companies. This
view combines data from my GP company (db1) view and another database (db2)
view withing the SAME server. I have granted select permission for every user
on db1 to all the tables and views in db2. I have also granted select
permissions to DYNGROUP on the view in db1.
No users (including power user) are able to produce any records when running
the smartlist. However, sa can run it fine.

What am I missing? I know it is security error somewhere, but I thought I
covered everything, please help.

Karlie,

From
http://victoriayudin.com/2008/10/08/granting-access-to-a-new-smartlist-in-gp-10/:

If you are on GP 10.0 and your SmartList is based on SQL views or tables,
you will need to add permissions to the View SmartLists with SQL Tables
operation.  Here are the settings under Security Tasks:

Product: SmartList Builder
Type: SmartList Builder Permissions
Series: SmartList Builder Permissions or SmartList Builder (depends on the
Service Pack)
Operations: View SmartLists with SQL Tables

This only has to be done once, no need to repeat if for every new SmartList.

--
Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP

"Karlie" <Karlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a smartlist that I created from a view on one of my GP companies.
>This
> view combines data from my GP company (db1) view and another database
> (db2)
> view withing the SAME server. I have granted select permission for every
> user
> on db1 to all the tables and views in db2. I have also granted select
> permissions to DYNGROUP on the view in db1.
> No users (including power user) are able to produce any records when
> running
> the smartlist. However, sa can run it fine.
>
> What am I missing? I know it is security error somewhere, but I thought I
> covered everything, please help.

0
Victoria
2/22/2010 3:48:55 PM
Victoria,

That was my first step in order to create the smartlist. My smartlist works
for the sa user, just not for regular users.

"Victoria [MVP]" wrote:

> Karlie,
>
> From
> http://victoriayudin.com/2008/10/08/granting-access-to-a-new-smartlist-in-gp-10/:
>
> If you are on GP 10.0 and your SmartList is based on SQL views or tables,
> you will need to add permissions to the View SmartLists with SQL Tables
> operation.  Here are the settings under Security Tasks:
>
> Product: SmartList Builder
> Type: SmartList Builder Permissions
> Series: SmartList Builder Permissions or SmartList Builder (depends on the
> Service Pack)
> Operations: View SmartLists with SQL Tables
>
> This only has to be done once, no need to repeat if for every new SmartList.
>

> --
> Victoria Yudin
> Dynamics GP MVP
> Want to use Crystal Reports with GP?
> http://www.flex-solutions.com/gpreports.html
> blog: http://www.victoriayudin.com
>

> "Karlie" <Karlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a smartlist that I created from a view on one of my GP companies.
> >This
> > view combines data from my GP company (db1) view and another database
> > (db2)
> > view withing the SAME server. I have granted select permission for every
> > user
> > on db1 to all the tables and views in db2. I have also granted select
> > permissions to DYNGROUP on the view in db1.
> > No users (including power user) are able to produce any records when
> > running
> > the smartlist. However, sa can run it fine.
> >
> > What am I missing? I know it is security error somewhere, but I thought I
> > covered everything, please help.

Also, my users are not getting any errors when they open the smartlist, it
opens fine, you can see the table headings and it explors, but completes with
no records. This is why I believe that it has to be  a security issue within
sql server and not GP.

"Victoria [MVP]" wrote:

> Karlie,
>
> From
> http://victoriayudin.com/2008/10/08/granting-access-to-a-new-smartlist-in-gp-10/:
>
> If you are on GP 10.0 and your SmartList is based on SQL views or tables,
> you will need to add permissions to the View SmartLists with SQL Tables
> operation.  Here are the settings under Security Tasks:
>
> Product: SmartList Builder
> Type: SmartList Builder Permissions
> Series: SmartList Builder Permissions or SmartList Builder (depends on the
> Service Pack)
> Operations: View SmartLists with SQL Tables
>
> This only has to be done once, no need to repeat if for every new SmartList.
>

> --
> Victoria Yudin
> Dynamics GP MVP
> Want to use Crystal Reports with GP?
> http://www.flex-solutions.com/gpreports.html
> blog: http://www.victoriayudin.com
>

> "Karlie" <Karlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a smartlist that I created from a view on one of my GP companies.
> >This
> > view combines data from my GP company (db1) view and another database
> > (db2)
> > view withing the SAME server. I have granted select permission for every
> > user
> > on db1 to all the tables and views in db2. I have also granted select
> > permissions to DYNGROUP on the view in db1.
> > No users (including power user) are able to produce any records when
> > running
> > the smartlist. However, sa can run it fine.
> >
> > What am I missing? I know it is security error somewhere, but I thought I
> > covered everything, please help.

Karlie,

Sorry - I just re-read your original post and I think the issue is SQL
permissions.  What kind of permissions did you give to the GP users on db2?
I was able to duplicate your results and then get this to work successfully
by giving the GP users the db_datareader role on 'db2'.

--

> Also, my users are not getting any errors when they open the smartlist, it
> opens fine, you can see the table headings and it explors, but completes
> with
> no records. This is why I believe that it has to be  a security issue
> within
> sql server and not GP.
>
> "Victoria [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Karlie,
>>
>> From
>> http://victoriayudin.com/2008/10/08/granting-access-to-a-new-smartlist-in-gp-10/:
>>
>> If you are on GP 10.0 and your SmartList is based on SQL views or tables,
>> you will need to add permissions to the View SmartLists with SQL Tables
>> operation.  Here are the settings under Security Tasks:
>>
>> Product: SmartList Builder
>> Type: SmartList Builder Permissions
>> Series: SmartList Builder Permissions or SmartList Builder (depends on
>> the
>> Service Pack)
>> Operations: View SmartLists with SQL Tables
>>
>> This only has to be done once, no need to repeat if for every new
>> SmartList.
>>

>> --
>> Victoria Yudin
>> Dynamics GP MVP
>> Want to use Crystal Reports with GP?
>> http://www.flex-solutions.com/gpreports.html
>> blog: http://www.victoriayudin.com
>>

>> "Karlie" <Karlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a smartlist that I created from a view on one of my GP companies.
>> >This
>> > view combines data from my GP company (db1) view and another database
>> > (db2)
>> > view withing the SAME server. I have granted select permission for
>> > every
>> > user
>> > on db1 to all the tables and views in db2. I have also granted select
>> > permissions to DYNGROUP on the view in db1.
>> > No users (including power user) are able to produce any records when
>> > running
>> > the smartlist. However, sa can run it fine.
>> >
>> > What am I missing? I know it is security error somewhere, but I thought
>> > covered everything, please help.

0
Victoria
2/22/2010 6:21:48 PM
Victoria,

I really appreciate your help. That did it! I had each user assigned to a
new role I created which had only select permissions in db2. I went ahead and
changed everyone to the datareader role instead and it works now.

Awesome!  Thanks for following up.

--

> Victoria,
>
> I really appreciate your help. That did it! I had each user assigned to a
> new role I created which had only select permissions in db2. I went ahead
> and
> changed everyone to the datareader role instead and it works now.
>
> "Victoria [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Karlie,
>>
>> Sorry - I just re-read your original post and I think the issue is SQL
>> permissions.  What kind of permissions did you give to the GP users on
>> db2?
>> I was able to duplicate your results and then get this to work
>> successfully
>> by giving the GP users the db_datareader role on 'db2'.
>>
>> --
>> Victoria Yudin
>> Dynamics GP MVP
>> Want to use Crystal Reports with GP?
>> http://www.flex-solutions.com/gpreports.html
>> blog: http://www.victoriayudin.com
>>

>> "Karlie" <Karlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Also, my users are not getting any errors when they open the smartlist,
>> > it
>> > opens fine, you can see the table headings and it explors, but
>> > completes
>> > with
>> > no records. This is why I believe that it has to be  a security issue
>> > within
>> > sql server and not GP.

0
Victoria

I need some help creating a formula
I am very new to excel and am wondering if anybody would have the time to look at a formula I need to create. it is a formula in "totals" sheet I need it to count all instances for Distribution Centre, Group desktop, Group laptop etc and wether each instance the person was available for interview. I have been using a multple count if statement which works, but the statemenr I have created does not allow copying across cell ranges. The formula look like this =COUNTIF('calls closesdon 3 - 4 Dec'!G4:G14, "STORE - TEAMPOS")-COUNTIF('calls closesdon 3 - 4 Dec&...

Can't download mail to my user
I run XP and have 2 users. all of a sudden, my wife couldn't get he mail from Comcast. Comcast cheched the modem and its fine. th wireless Linksys router ( which is junk!) was replaced with a new one. This didn't help. so I logged onto comcast webmail and deleted he emails and then sent her a test email and all was good :) But now m email is messed up. I can send but not receive. It counts th messages on the server but doesn't download them and gives an erro message. I also download my office email (Verizon DSL) which also n longer arrives. So I figure maybe its the wirele...

Utilizing end-user workstations for e-mail processing and storing?
Hello! As the number of our users is growing, so is the load on the e-mail server. Our primary business is support and people's mailboxes (some as large as 20Gb) are their frequent source of reference (going back to 1997 for some people). Can the end-users' desktops -- a resource, that already has to scale together with the number of users -- be utilized to handle some/all of the e-mail load? The desktops are "beefy" (plenty of RAM and diskspace, dual-core CPUs) and can handle each user's mailbox handily. They are also "always on". Can each user's e-mail...

How do I create endnotes in Publisher 2003?
How do I create endnotes in Publisher 2003? Andrea <Andrea@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > How do I create endnotes in Publisher 2003? Manually. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher Yikes, guess I'll have to use Word. Thanks for the reply though! "Ed Bennett" wrote: > Andrea <Andrea@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to > utter: > > How do I create endnotes in Publisher 2003? > > Manually. > > -- > Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher > > > What kind of document...

Outlook 2003 Migration from GW6.5
I've searched these groups and the internet without finding a solution that applies to my problem so I'm hoping maybe someone will have some ideas if I explain my specific dilemma. By way of background, our department recently migrated from Groupwise 6.5 to Outlook 2003. To prep each Windows XP workstation (which are the same model and were originally configured from the same ghost image), I logged in to our AD (with admin rights), uninstalled Groupwise from the Control Panel, ran a third party utility to clean Groupwise off of the machine more thoroughly and then uninstalled the Nov...

relationship tree view for accounts
It would be a handy feature to be able to view a diagram/representation of a relationship tree view illustrating association & levels in regards to accounts, their sub accounts and associated contacts. ie. main account - contact 1 - contact 2 - contact x - sub account 1 - contact 1 - contact x - sub account 2 - contact 1 - contact x - sub account 2a - contact 1 ...

remove blank rows
my excel has 20,000 rows. some of them are blank. how can i a) copy the non-blank rows in a different sheet b) delete the blank rows from the original sheet to get around problem (b) if i filter on non-blank rows and try to delete them, i get an error "The selection is too complex...." Can you sort by a column that is only empty when the row is empty? If you need to put the data back in it's original order, use a helper column directly to the right of your data. Put =row() in row one of that column drag it down the column. Select that column and edit|copy edit|paste special...

Creating Publication to Edge of Page
This is not a printer issue, someone else has setup a template before that works. But I have tried to create a full page publication, with colour, pics etc to edge of page, but even in print preview Publisher shows about .8cm of white all around. How can I fix this? (have made sure that page setup is set to 'full page') Help! Tutorial: Finding your Maximum Print Area http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/horidiag -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX10064911103...

Viewing Journals from outside SOM/POS
I'm using Report Server to view reports on my RMS database. I'd like to include the ability to view receipts from this environment. Does anyone know if there is a way to either 1. convert the Journal table's "compressed" image format into a common graphic format like .gif, or .bmp; or 2. launch the Journal Viewer from an API? -Dave The receipt image appears to be in a proprietary format. There has been a lot of discussion on here in the past about this. As far as I know there is no way to view them outside of RMS. There may be an add-on designed to do ...

INVOICE edited by another user
Hi, I have an invoice that I cannot access because GP keeps returning a 'The invoice is being edited by another user' Obviously this is not correct since overnight we had all the GP users disconnect and we are still having the problem this morning. I wish it was a batch locked since I know where to go to get it unlocked, but it's simply just an invoice. I also looked at the temp db and the DEX_LOCK table to no avail Where can I find this invoice and unlock it? Thanks DJL, Try Looking at the SY00800 and SY00801. Delete it from there and you should be ok. These tables are in...

SQL Server error when viewing account history
Hi there, We are running Microsoft CRM 3.0. For one paticular account I get a "SQL Server error" when trying to view the history. If I turn on DevErrors in web.config I get this: Microsoft CRM Unhandled Error Details: Server Error in '/' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Server was unable to process request. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exceptio...

remove old entries: File-Open-Other user's folder
Hello, Can anyone tell me how to remove or edit the list that shows up under File -> Open? The list is of previously opened Other User's Folders, like calendars. Thanks in advance, Matt The answer to my question is at these links: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=288570 http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/mru.htm Matt "Matt" <matt@nospam.com> wrote in message news:epGxISMqFHA.712@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > Can anyone tell me how to remove or edit the list that shows up under > File -> Open? The list is of previously opened Other...

Why can't I view my Pulisher project in color?
When I preview my project in Publisher I can't view it in color, only gray scale . Any ideas why this is? Do you have a color printer? In Publisher 2007 if the default printer is black and white you will get a print preview in gray scale. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Dru" <Dru@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BC5B69E9-870B-468E-A40F-5FD4240937A1@microsoft.com... > When I preview my project in Publisher I can't view it in color, only gray > scale . Any ideas why ...

creating tables in VBA
I am trying to get this code to work. IT is supposed to create a table when a button is clicked. This code is not working. When I attempt it, access gives me the error "Runtime Error 3219: Invalid Operation" This occurs at the line that says 'db.tabledefs.append(tbdf)' Any ideas? Dim tbdf As DAO.TableDef Dim db As DAO.Database Dim fld As DAO.Field Set db = CurrentDb Set tbdf = db.CreateTableDef(strFilename) tbdf.Fields.Append (tbdf.CreateField("Drawing")) db.TableDefs.Append (tbdf) 'refresh the table collection db.Tab...

Tables being created by opening form
I'm using Access 2003 with a sql server back-end. One form I've designed, when opened, creates a local table called "Admin - 00", with the number incrementing each time the form is opened. I assume Admin is the username. The table has 1 column named "ODBC" of type memo. The table is filled with 302 rows of the following string: 01004 - 0 - [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]String data, right truncation If I open the form into design mode directly, 2 tables with 151 rows of the above are created. The form itself is a 'single form' view with no recordset. ...

How to create and set the appointment Organizer by programming (SD
How to set organizer value of Appointment activity while creating by SDK. I am having hard time to set the organizer of appointment activity. Just wondering anybody knows in the forum. vkm ...

Modified File By User
Hello Everyone, We are trying to figure out a way of checking who last modified an excel file for a specific cell. The file is about 5 months old with no recent modifications. Can someone please tell me if there is a way to check whom used this file last time it was opened? The file is on a network share with domain user access, unfortunately we did not have auditing setup. Any help, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Yorgy If you didn't have auditing on at the time, then nope, you won't know who did it. Yorgy wrote: > Hello Everyone, > > We are trying to figur...

Error creating a new task...
If one of my customers want to save a new task he get an error. The error says, that some values on the form are invalid. I verified all values but I cannot find an invalid entry. The task is based on the standard exchange task form. Florian ...

Saved Views
Is there a way to lock certain fields in a saved view so that other users cannot change the search criteria? The reason I ask is that I am trying to put together some saved views to pull information about leads for certain product types and I do not want someone inadvertantly changing the product and pulling the wrong information. Yes, create a server view by going to settings --> customization --> "entity" and add/edit a view. By doing so only the admin can edit the view. Oshri Cohen Web: http://mymscrm3.blogspot.com/ ------=_NextPart_0001_79FE26C3 Content-Type: text/p...

Money 2004 and Multiple Users
I have created multiple XP accounts (one for me and my wife). I have created a directory on C: and put the money file(s) there and granted full permission on the dir and files. However, every time I try to access the money file through her account I get .... Money cannot locate <file>.mny or open it because it is a read-only file or you do not have permission to change it or your disk drive is write protected ... I have granted Full Control to the Users group (as well as other combinations) and cannot get her access. Has anyone else used Money with more than one logon account?...

How stop receiving blank emails no sender no content in Outlook
I receive over 150 blank emails with no sender and no content every time I log into Outlook and my Hotmil account. It is clogging up my inbox and takes a longer time to load mail. The emails are dated from December 2009 to current date. That's gotta suck. "crawfpaul" <crawfpaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:30142C7C-0C8E-4F89-9899-2792879C5CF2@microsoft.com... :I receive over 150 blank emails with no sender and no content every time I : log into Outlook and my Hotmil account. It is clogging up my inbox and takes : a longer time to load m...

How do Datasets manage to get deserialized as DataSets instead of a wsdl.exe-created proxy class?
Hi! I have developed both a Web Service and a client application, and they work fine. All classes used in the Web Service interface are declared in an assembly named Entities, that is referenced both in the Web Service and the client application. The problem is that the automatically-generated Web Service proxy class creates new classes instead of referencing the original classes. This way, if I add a method to any of the classes in the Entities assembly, that functionality isn't available in the client application, because the proxy-generated classes are static snapshots of the server...

Sending Blank E-Mails
For some strange reason, Outlook 2007 started sending all my e-mail as blanks. However, the receipient can click on REPLY to open. I have never used any type of signature, encrypted or initiated any kind of privacy measure. I have searched through all the commands, menus and toolbars but still can't figure this out. It seems as though this may be a private way to send e-mails. There were other problems so I reloaded Outlook 2007 and also clicked on DEFAULT SETTINGS. NOTHING CAN STOP IT! How do I turn this off? I have a large newsletter to send out and no one will get it. HELP! Th...

Create an insert with verse only on it.
I would like to create a separate, folded sheet of paper to insert into already made cards (like some good quality ones in the stores) with a Christmas message on the right side when opened. Can I do this in Publisher as I have been trying for some time today but can't achieve. The paper is normal A4 size and would fit 2 on each page so that when separated, they can be folded and inserted inside my cards. Half the length of the paper, then folded in half across the width would be an ideal size. What version Publisher? Page setup, booklet, portrait, width 10.449cm, height 14....

Scaling a chart that has been dynamically created in vb
I've got a VB app that creates charts based on data selections made by the user. over time, the stuff in the DB will grow, so there's no easy way to predict what the size of the chart should be. When it's built, it gets dumped into a worksheet set aside just for that chart, along with some cells in which various accumulations (monthly capcity, etc) get posted. At the moment, the default size of the chart is 'small', (top left at cell f13, bot-rt at cell p38). I'd like the chart to go from a1 to p38 (or thereabouts), regardless of the number of data elements used...