Script in customer report not running on user's machine

Hello,
I am using GP for the first time, and I just got into the report writer
about 30 minutes ago, so I apologize in advance if this is a newbie question.

We have a custom report.  There is a script in the Window_AfterActivate
event sets these options:

    Printer.Value = 0
    Screen.Value = 1
    File.Value = 1
    FileName.Value = "c:\temp\test.txt"
    FileFormat.Value = 1
    IfFileExisting.Value = 1

This works on my machine, but it does not work on the user's machine.  Is
there some sort of runtime I need to install on her machine to make this work?

0
colem (4)

There could be two things getting in the way of your custom report, the
reports dictionary and/or system permissions.

Are you sharing a common reports dictionary?  Check the  Dynamics.set file
to determine which report dictionary the user is actually using.

Don't forget to set user permission in advance security to allow the user to
use the custom version of the report.

VinceV

"colem" wrote:

> Hello,
> I am using GP for the first time, and I just got into the report writer
> about 30 minutes ago, so I apologize in advance if this is a newbie question.
>
> We have a custom report.  There is a script in the Window_AfterActivate
> event sets these options:
>
>     Printer.Value = 0
>     Screen.Value = 1
>     File.Value = 1
>     FileName.Value = "c:\temp\test.txt"
>     FileFormat.Value = 1
>     IfFileExisting.Value = 1
>
> This works on my machine, but it does not work on the user's machine.  Is
> there some sort of runtime I need to install on her machine to make this work?

0
VinceV (157)
3/19/2007 4:05:17 PM
VinceV,
Thanks a lot for your reply.

So I take it that specific reports aren't their own files.  If I customize a
report, which files do I need to copy to make it work on the user's
machine... or how can I find out which files I need to copy?

We have a common reports repository on our network drive that copies the
some .dic files to the local machines on startup.  I am assuming that I need
to place a file in that batch, but I'm not sure what file.

"VinceV" wrote:

> There could be two things getting in the way of your custom report, the
> reports dictionary and/or system permissions.
>
> Are you sharing a common reports dictionary?  Check the  Dynamics.set file
> to determine which report dictionary the user is actually using.
>
> Don't forget to set user permission in advance security to allow the user to
> use the custom version of the report.
>
> VinceV
>
> "colem" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > I am using GP for the first time, and I just got into the report writer
> > about 30 minutes ago, so I apologize in advance if this is a newbie question.
> >
> > We have a custom report.  There is a script in the Window_AfterActivate
> > event sets these options:
> >
> >     Printer.Value = 0
> >     Screen.Value = 1
> >     File.Value = 1
> >     FileName.Value = "c:\temp\test.txt"
> >     FileFormat.Value = 1
> >     IfFileExisting.Value = 1
> >
> > This works on my machine, but it does not work on the user's machine.  Is
> > there some sort of runtime I need to install on her machine to make this work?

0
colem (4)
3/19/2007 4:59:08 PM
Reports are stored in a file named reports.dic, you'll need to either copy
that file to each workstation or place a copy of the file on a network share
and modify the reports line in the dynamics.set file to point at that share.

We use the latter approach for all systems except the system that reports
are developed on since bad things can happen when you try to change an open
reports file.  Report updates are copied out the the Share when no one is on
the system.

VinceV

"colem" wrote:

> VinceV,
> Thanks a lot for your reply.
>
> So I take it that specific reports aren't their own files.  If I customize a
> report, which files do I need to copy to make it work on the user's
> machine... or how can I find out which files I need to copy?
>
> We have a common reports repository on our network drive that copies the
> some .dic files to the local machines on startup.  I am assuming that I need
> to place a file in that batch, but I'm not sure what file.
>
> "VinceV" wrote:
>
> > There could be two things getting in the way of your custom report, the
> > reports dictionary and/or system permissions.
> >
> > Are you sharing a common reports dictionary?  Check the  Dynamics.set file
> > to determine which report dictionary the user is actually using.
> >
> > Don't forget to set user permission in advance security to allow the user to
> > use the custom version of the report.
> >
> > VinceV
> >
> > "colem" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > > I am using GP for the first time, and I just got into the report writer
> > > about 30 minutes ago, so I apologize in advance if this is a newbie question.
> > >
> > > We have a custom report.  There is a script in the Window_AfterActivate
> > > event sets these options:
> > >
> > >     Printer.Value = 0
> > >     Screen.Value = 1
> > >     File.Value = 1
> > >     FileName.Value = "c:\temp\test.txt"
> > >     FileFormat.Value = 1
> > >     IfFileExisting.Value = 1
> > >
> > > This works on my machine, but it does not work on the user's machine.  Is
> > > there some sort of runtime I need to install on her machine to make this work?

0
VinceV (157)
3/19/2007 6:43:10 PM
Great info, thanks a lot!

How do packages fit into this equation?  Somebody here remember that they
used to roll out reports with packages instead of copying the .dic files.

"VinceV" wrote:

> Reports are stored in a file named reports.dic, you'll need to either copy
> that file to each workstation or place a copy of the file on a network share
> and modify the reports line in the dynamics.set file to point at that share.
>
> We use the latter approach for all systems except the system that reports
> are developed on since bad things can happen when you try to change an open
> reports file.  Report updates are copied out the the Share when no one is on
> the system.
>
> VinceV
>
> "colem" wrote:
>
> > VinceV,
> > Thanks a lot for your reply.
> >
> > So I take it that specific reports aren't their own files.  If I customize a
> > report, which files do I need to copy to make it work on the user's
> > machine... or how can I find out which files I need to copy?
> >
> > We have a common reports repository on our network drive that copies the
> > some .dic files to the local machines on startup.  I am assuming that I need
> > to place a file in that batch, but I'm not sure what file.
> >
> > "VinceV" wrote:
> >
> > > There could be two things getting in the way of your custom report, the
> > > reports dictionary and/or system permissions.
> > >
> > > Are you sharing a common reports dictionary?  Check the  Dynamics.set file
> > > to determine which report dictionary the user is actually using.
> > >
> > > Don't forget to set user permission in advance security to allow the user to
> > > use the custom version of the report.
> > >
> > > VinceV

0
colem (4)
3/19/2007 6:49:08 PM
Packages are exported custom reports, forms, etc.  Go to the Tools menu in
GP, select Customize, then select Customization Maintenance.  You will now
see the list of customized objects installed in your version of GP.

You can either import or export custom reports, forms, etc from this screen.

Its been my experience that this works best when no one else has the
dictionary you're importing into open (like the reports.dic).

VinceV

"colem" wrote:

> Great info, thanks a lot!
>
> How do packages fit into this equation?  Somebody here remember that they
> used to roll out reports with packages instead of copying the .dic files.
>
> "VinceV" wrote:
>
> > Reports are stored in a file named reports.dic, you'll need to either copy
> > that file to each workstation or place a copy of the file on a network share
> > and modify the reports line in the dynamics.set file to point at that share.
> >
> > We use the latter approach for all systems except the system that reports
> > are developed on since bad things can happen when you try to change an open
> > reports file.  Report updates are copied out the the Share when no one is on
> > the system.
> >
> > VinceV
> >
> > "colem" wrote:
> >
> > > VinceV,
> > > Thanks a lot for your reply.
> > >
> > > So I take it that specific reports aren't their own files.  If I customize a
> > > report, which files do I need to copy to make it work on the user's
> > > machine... or how can I find out which files I need to copy?
> > >
> > > We have a common reports repository on our network drive that copies the
> > > some .dic files to the local machines on startup.  I am assuming that I need
> > > to place a file in that batch, but I'm not sure what file.

0
VinceV (157)
3/19/2007 10:50:18 PM
VinceV,
Thanks a lot for the info!  You are really helping me out here...

I am assuming that the report I am editing is a package, since I replaced my
reports.dic with our standard file and this report was still different than
everyone else's.

How can I tell what is required in a package for the report to run?  For
example, I am including the report and a custom form, and when I try to
install this package on other machines there is a generic Great Plains error
message, which leads me to believe that either I am not getting all of the
required components into the package, or there is some sort of add-on to GP
that allows VBA scripts to be run.

"VinceV" wrote:

> Packages are exported custom reports, forms, etc.  Go to the Tools menu in
> GP, select Customize, then select Customization Maintenance.  You will now
> see the list of customized objects installed in your version of GP.
>
> You can either import or export custom reports, forms, etc from this screen.
>
> Its been my experience that this works best when no one else has the
> dictionary you're importing into open (like the reports.dic).
>
> VinceV
>
> "colem" wrote:
>
> > Great info, thanks a lot!
> >
> > How do packages fit into this equation?  Somebody here remember that they
> > used to roll out reports with packages instead of copying the .dic files.
> >
> > "VinceV" wrote:
> >
> > > Reports are stored in a file named reports.dic, you'll need to either copy
> > > that file to each workstation or place a copy of the file on a network share
> > > and modify the reports line in the dynamics.set file to point at that share.
> > >
> > > We use the latter approach for all systems except the system that reports
> > > are developed on since bad things can happen when you try to change an open
> > > reports file.  Report updates are copied out the the Share when no one is on
> > > the system.
> > >
> > > VinceV

0
colem (4)
3/20/2007 12:20:00 PM
I wish I could give you a definitive answer.  Its my understanding that the
reports.dic file holds all of the custom reports.   Like I said previously,
we share a common reports.dic file with all of our GP users and have ensured
that they have access to the custom reports with Advanced Security.

I haven't had the opportunity to modify forms yet.  There is a GP developers
forum where you may be able to get a better answer.

One other thought, there is a licensing requirement to use modified forms.
You may have problems if you don't have that license installed.

VinceV

"colem" wrote:

> VinceV,
> Thanks a lot for the info!  You are really helping me out here...
>
> I am assuming that the report I am editing is a package, since I replaced my
> reports.dic with our standard file and this report was still different than
> everyone else's.
>
> How can I tell what is required in a package for the report to run?  For
> example, I am including the report and a custom form, and when I try to
> install this package on other machines there is a generic Great Plains error
> message, which leads me to believe that either I am not getting all of the
> required components into the package, or there is some sort of add-on to GP
> that allows VBA scripts to be run.

0
VinceV (157)

Running Money 2003 in Vista

Reporting IRA distributions
I have an IRA account with corresponding cash account. I am trying to get the distribution from the IRA to show up as "Retirement Income" in the Tax-Related Transactions report. How to do it? The distributions are handled as a transfer from the IRA Investment cash acct to a checking account. Thanks for any help. Money 99, BTW. Do I need to upgrade to a later version? ...

users with restricted access

Office 2007 forms

"Customize Outlook Today" does not respond
The "Customize Outlook Today" button no longer functions. I use Outlook 2000 on two separate computers. the Customize feature works on neither one. They both formerly functioned perfectly. I have noted a few other postings with the same issue, but there have been no responses. Is it possible that one of the updates to Outlook 2000 has rendered this feature inoperable? Since I keep my programs up to date, that is the only guess I have. I have the exact same problem on more than one pc. I have been searching for an answer all day. I just decided to start using the opti...

SBS 2003 moving of users files

User unknown
I made a new user on the exchange server, but if i want to make the account in outlook, Outlook says: "the name could not be matched to a name in the adresslist" I don't know what to do anymore. All the rights are the same as my collegea. can somebody help me? Go back to AD where you created the account, preferably on the Exchange Server. Is there an email address listed? If there isn't then right click on the Recipient Update Service in ESM and click update now. Advise what happens then... >-----Original Message----- >I made a new user on the exchange server, b...

Money 04 runs very slow
file size is 17,480 kb, about 5 years data. Machine is a P4 2.2 GHz, 512 mb ram. Money runs very slow, processing downloaded statements, switching screens, etc. I switched from Quicken about a year ago. That didn't run nearly this slow. Any ideas? Will trimming the file size help at all or much? Thanks Ideas? See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=4. Trimming? Most people haven't had great luck trying this through means like File|Archive--which, by the way, I'd discourage for any number of reasons. "Tom Orlando" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote i...

Custom reports #3

Run time error 5 : HQClient

High Memory Usage after IS Maintenance Runs
I have an Exchange 5.5 server whose priv.edb file is about 2GBs. During normal usage the store.exe file is use about 70MBs of RAM. When the IS Maintenance runs at night the RAM usage shoots to 800MBS and does not come down after IS Maintenance is done. I have to restart the Information Store service to restore proper system operation. How do I fix this issue? Why do you think that proper operation is less than 800MB of RAM? By default, Exchange should take all of the system memory available and not 70MB (note that it should give it back when asked). That's normal behavior vs. w...

how to run onhand value report
I get the message enter parameter when entering the zoom feature On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 17:36:01 -0800, junebugg <junebugg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I get the message enter parameter when entering the zoom feature You'll have to give us some more context than that, junebugg. What's the "onhand value report"? What's the "zoom feature"? You can see your database; we cannot! -- John W. Vinson [MVP] ...

Default User object security
Windows 2003 SP2 I am trying to fix a problem where delegation of control is not working properly to usr OUs. I ca't seem to keep permissions on user account objects that allow user accounts to be moved between OUs. I think it may be related to protected account membership on the user objects themselves. ALso the "inherit permissions from parent" is unchecked on user objects. Certain user new user objects work fine and are inheriting. What are the default security to use on user objects so that i can remvoe membership from protected groups and how should I a...

how to know how many e-mail each user receives per day?
We are running Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003. I would like to know how to get an average of how many e-mails each users send and receives per day. ...

calendar for multiple time zone users: all day events
Users in different time zones post absences and meetings to a shared company calendar. When an all day event is scheduled in one time zone, it shows as spanning two days for other time zone users. How do we make this work properly? For the others it does intrude on a second day. BossLady wrote: > Users in different time zones post absences and meetings to a shared company > calendar. When an all day event is scheduled in one time zone, it shows as > spanning two days for other time zone users. How do we make this work > properly? Until you upgrade to Outlook...

How to change PERMANENTLY environment variables from batch script?
Ok, I know. In a batch file I can change environment variables temporarily (=for the current, remaining session) be entering e.g. set CLASSPATH=D:\newpath;%CLASSPATH% However these changes are not visible outside of the current session and furthermore they are lost after a reboot. Is there a(nother) way to change them PERMANENTLY from batch script? I can imagine that there is a way by a regedit or VisualBasic script or 3rd party cmdline tool. Again: I don't want to edit them manually e.g. in the "System" dialog in control panel. The change should take place on ...

Departments on Z Report
Hello, I have noticed that as I set up new departments and categories into the database, the new departments are always printed last...or below all of the other departments. Is there a way to change this, and possibly have them organized alphebetically or in an order I would like? Thank You, Vicne Perhaps if you modified the department table usinfg Microsoft Access 2003 .... not that I would advise that :-) Vince... is this you... my buddy? Since you don't use an email address... I'm never sure if it you... and then I worry I'm getting too personal with someone I don'...

How do I assign a name to a PDF report via VBA
Thanks to the internet site: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee336132.aspx I have the following subprocedure: Private Sub Print_to_PDF_Click() On Error Resume Next Dim reportName As String reportName = "HCBS CMgr Smmry Report" DoCmd.OpenReport reportName, _ View:=acPreview, WindowMode:=acHidden Set Reports(reportName).Printer = _ Application.Printers("CutePDF Printer") DoCmd.OpenReport reportName, _ View:=acViewNormal End Sub This appears to be a good start; however, it stops and waits for me to enter the n...